PDA

View Full Version : Carl Sagan's Ghost and Other Anomalies...

D_Davis
12-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Dammit - I misspelled Anomalies in the title...can a mod change this?

:)

Carl Sagan's Ghost and Other Anomalies...

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/promo1.jpg

I guess now is as good of a time as any to announce the launch of my new website.

That's right, a post of complete and utter shameless self-promotion.

http://carlsagansghost.com/

This is an exciting project for me. For the first time ever, I am making all of my music available to the general public (for free of course). This is also doubling as a creative blog space.

I've never done this before. Historically I've only given out certain songs, or allowed close friends to hear the full albums.

And while this is exciting, it is also pretty scary.

The albums and music that will appear on this site represent almost a third of my life. The earliest of these recordings dates back to 1993. That I am putting it out there, for people I don't really know to listen to and to comment on is a little nerve wracking.

As of now, there are only three full albums available, but I hope to have all the others (around ten more) up by the first of the new year.

If you take the time to download and listen, please post a comment on the album's page - I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading and listening.

Spaceman Spiff
12-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Pretty righteous.

Carl Sagan is awesome, btw.

Lasse
12-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I'll definitely be checking this out. :)

D_Davis
12-22-2008, 03:08 AM
I got some of the old album art from my label mate...

I've always liked this cover...

http://carlsagansghost.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/sounds_front.jpg

D_Davis
02-14-2009, 03:38 PM
So I think that the first Carl Sagan's Ghost album was a success - at least on a personal level. I'll have to wait and see what some reviews say. I've sent the album to a few mags/sites, and I know one of them is going to review it for sure.

Volume 2 is almost finished - just waiting on one remix from a friend. This is more of an E.P. focusing on a number of remixes of the track Soldania.

I'm also more than half-way finished with the third CSG's album. It's coming along very well.

My plan is to release 6 new albums this year - one every other month. Should be a fun project, and very rewarding.

megladon8
02-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Wow, I'm enjoying the heck out of Carl Sagan's Ghost.

D_Davis
02-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow, I'm enjoying the heck out of Carl Sagan's Ghost.

Great - thanks.

I am very proud of it - I think it's one of the best things I've done.

megladon8
02-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Great - thanks.

I am very proud of it - I think it's one of the best things I've done.

I fully plan on listening to it tonight while stoned, so I can absorb every frequency it has to offer. :)

D_Davis
02-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I fully plan on listening to it tonight while stoned, so I can absorb every frequency it has to offer. :)

Definitely a good way to enjoy it.

And just wait until you hear the newest album. The first track is over 30 minutes long, and it is deep, deep ambient. It actually makes me feel stoned just by listening to it.

I love taking the listener's minds to new places.

It will be released in April or May.

megladon8
02-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Definitely a good way to enjoy it.

And just wait until you hear the newest album. The first track is over 30 minutes long, and it is deep, deep ambient. It actually makes me feel stoned just by listening to it.

I love taking the listener's minds to new places.

It will be released in April or May.

Well I'm loving this one.

Do you have a personal favorite track on this album?

"Dance of the Broken Robot" is pretty awesome.

D_Davis
02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Well I'm loving this one.

Do you have a personal favorite track on this album?

"Dance of the Broken Robot" is pretty awesome.

My two favorites are Soldania and Dance of the Drunken Robot, with the second part of What Use Has a Mountain coming in a close third.

Russ
02-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Daniel, I've been meaning to tell you that I really am enjoying the CSG tracks. I especially like how (I think) you've incorporated some nice warm bass tones into the ambient mix (Soldania is my favorite; I hope you produce more stuff like that). Some similar sounds that I would compare your stuff to: George Saunder's sublime Solar Quest debut album (I immediately thought of his song Singtree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxcM536mZ4) -- listen to it and tell me if you agree). Another ambient pioneer whose work I'm reminded of is sometimes-Orb collaborator Tom Green, and his Another Fine Day project (specifically his Life Before Land CD). The only major difference I see is you don't utilize found-sound and/or nature samples as much. Of course, I hear a lot of other obvious infuences, like Taylor Deupree, FAX, etc., yes?

To my ears, your stuff is pretty polished. Keep it available online and promote the hell out of it. I'll bet someone with $$$ or connections will show some interest. Best of luck to you.

D_Davis
02-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks Russ.

That Singtree song sounds great - never heard that guy before. I'll have to check out the album.

I just picked up Ataxia by Dwight Ashley and on it there is a song called Dance of the Wobler that reminds me of my own track Dance of the Drunken Robot. It's a very odd coincidence, as I had finished my track before even hearing about Dwight Ashley. The two tracks aren't totally similar, but they do share some aspects.

The Tom Green stuff is music that I tend to describe as music depicting alien landscapes. The Orb and FSOL also do this quite a bit. Perhaps these are extensions of Brian Eno's Ambient 4: On Land.

I don't tend to use found or natural sounds - although I would like to use more found sounds, but I need to get a field recorder. The other day I was listening to some of my stuff while riding on the bus, and I realized that the tone of the bus's engine and wheels on the freeway mixed in perfectly with the tones of the track I was listening to. I'd like to incorporate some of that.

There are a couple of tracks on the first CSG's album that contain live bass playing, and I intend to continue that trend on future releases.

Soldania is a favorite of mine as well - the newer stuff I am working on is less musical, and focuses more on just atmosphere. However, I do plan to return to a more beat and melody orientated project after the 3rd CSG's album is finished.

Thanks again for listening - I am glad you are enjoying it. You definitely know your stuff when it comes to this style of music, so your opinion is quite valuable to me.

megladon8
02-14-2009, 09:59 PM
There are a couple of tracks on the first CSG's album that contain live bass playing, and I intend to continue that trend on future releases.

Soldania is a favorite of mine as well - the newer stuff I am working on is less musical, and focuses more on just atmosphere. However, I do plan to return to a more beat and melody orientated project after the 3rd CSG's album is finished.

Is "Music For Home Offices: Volume One" the only that's available for download thus far?

D_Davis
02-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Is "Music For Home Offices: Volume One" the only that's available for download thus far?

No - there are 4 other albums on there.

Click the "get the music" tab.

http://carlsagansghost.com/?page_id=14

There will be more stuff very soon.

megladon8
02-14-2009, 11:51 PM
No - there are 4 other albums on there.

Click the "get the music" tab.

There will be more stuff very soon.

I can see the albums by Z Phantom 4 and Twin Cam Akiko, but I can't find the other albums by Carl Sagan's Ghost.

D_Davis
02-14-2009, 11:56 PM
I can see the albums by Z Phantom 4 and Twin Cam Akiko, but I can't find the other albums by Carl Sagan's Ghost.

I see - misunderstood.

Yes - there is only 1 CSG's album available thus far. MfHO:V2 should be available next month, with the third album, Behind Clouds, coming in April or May.

megladon8
02-16-2009, 07:13 PM
My mom loves the "Carl Sagan's Ghost" album.

She asked me to put it on her iPod.

D_Davis
02-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Just a heads up...

I've messed with the release schedule a bit, and the second CSG's album will be out sometime this week.

It's called Behind Clouds - it's a 40 minute piece, 6 parts, easily the most un-musical thing I've done.

This was going to be the 3rd release, but the truth is - it's finished. I just have to touch up the final mix a bit.

D_Davis
02-18-2009, 07:04 PM
If anyone cares to read it, I was interviewed here (http://www.playtime-magazine.com/press/2009/01/featured-artist-an-interview-with-daniel-davis/) about my music.

D_Davis
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
The second CSG's album will be available tonight, for anyone who is interested.

It is called Behind Clouds - A forty-minute long, six-part composition.

Lasse
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
If anyone cares to read it, I was interviewed here (http://www.playtime-magazine.com/press/2009/01/featured-artist-an-interview-with-daniel-davis/) about my music.

That was a good read. :)

D_Davis
02-27-2009, 01:43 PM
That was a good read. :)

Thanks. It was fun doing.

And the Behind Clouds release got delayed due to Street Fighter IV.

:(

Lasse
02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks. It was fun doing.

I think that shows. And I suppose the interview worked, because I'm downloading your albums and I'll give them a listen today and tomorrow.

Oh, and I absolutely love the Laying Down The Law cover. It would world very well as a 12" cover.

And the Behind Clouds release got delayed due to Street Fighter IV.

:(

I'm the worst procratinator in the world, so I can relate. :lol:

D_Davis
02-27-2009, 03:49 PM
I think that shows. And I suppose the interview worked, because I'm downloading your albums and I'll give them a listen today and tomorrow.

Oh, and I absolutely love the Laying Down The Law cover. It would world very well as a 12" cover.

Thanks for taking the time to listen, I appreciate it.

If you like what you hear, there is a ton more to come.

If you don't like what you hear, well, at least it didn't cost you anything!

That's funny, because I've always though the same thing about that cover.

D_Davis
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Behind Clouds has been released.

http://carlsagansghost.com/?p=221

Russ
03-01-2009, 06:51 PM

It's Sunday afternoon. I'm staring out the window at grey skies, awaiting the arrival of a much-anticipated snow storm in a couple of hours, while listening to the new release by Carl Sagan's Ghost.

I was pulled in from the opening notes, nice warm tones that just wash over you and lull you into a very relaxed state -- an aimless drift interspersed with subtle background shifts and alien sounds that was obviously designed with great care and precision -- yeah, hokey description, I know, but I don't know how else to characterize it. Except to say this does what the best ambient music does - it's consistently engaging, never boring, and it will keep me returning to it time and time again. I just love how your music creates such vast spaces -- as opposed to just filling space -- and allows your musical impulses to imbue such strong atmospherics with the beautifully understated minutiae found throughout.

Daniel, this is truly a remarkable release. It's the kind I'd pay money for. Color me beyond impressed.

You rule.

D_Davis
03-01-2009, 07:04 PM
It's Sunday afternoon. I'm staring out the window at grey skies, awaiting the arrival of a much-anticipated snow storm in a couple of hours, while listening to the new release by Carl Sagan's Ghost.

I was pulled in from the opening notes, nice warm tones that just wash over you and lull you into a very relaxed state -- an aimless drift interspersed with subtle background shifts and alien sounds that was obviously designed with great care and precision -- yeah, hokey description, I know, but I don't know how else to characterize it. Except to say this does what the best ambient music does - it's consistently engaging, never boring, and it will keep me returning to it time and time again. I just love how your music creates such vast spaces -- as opposed to just filling space -- and allows your musical impulses to imbue such strong atmospherics with the beautifully understated minutiae found throughout.

Daniel, this is truly a remarkable release. It's the kind I'd pay money for. Color me beyond impressed.

You rule.

Wow - thanks, really.

Sounds like it touched you on the exact level I was going for. Man, that's awesome!

Would you mind posting this mini-review as a comment on my site? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again for listening, it means a lot to me.

Russ
03-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Done.

And I'm not kidding. Instant love for this album (I'm on my 2nd listen). Very reminiscent of the old Instinct releases. It's really excellent; this is the one that, if there's any justice, should get you some press.

D_Davis
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Done.

And I'm not kidding. Instant love for this album (I'm on my 2nd listen). Very reminiscent of the old Instinct releases. It's really excellent; this is the one that, if there's any justice, should get you some press.

Thanks!

I'm very happy with it. I've listened to it dozens, and dozens of times over the last few weeks, making minute changes to the mixes, and I haven't grown tired of it. I've stated before that I really like listening to my own music, but with this one it is especially true. It's by far the least 'musical' thing I've done - there is no way this piece could be recreated in a live setting - I processed and tweaked the hell out of the original audio sources. For instance, part 3 originally had drums and bass - the drums and bass parts are still there, I've just disguised them beyond all recognition (although with a good pair of headphones, you can pick up the faintest hint of the drum part coming through one of the channels).

Russ
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks!

I'm very happy with it. I've listened to it dozens, and dozens of times over the last few weeks, making minute changes to the mixes, and I haven't grown tired of it. I've stated before that I really like listening to my own music, but with this one it is especially true. It's by far the least 'musical' thing I've done - there is no way this piece could be recreated in a live setting - I processed and tweaked the hell out of the original audio sources. For instance, part 3 originally had drums and bass - the drums and bass parts are still there, I've just disguised them beyond all recognition (although with a good pair of headphones, you can pick up the faintest hint of the drum part coming through one of the channels).
And this is what fascinates me so much -- The engineering/knob-twiddling aspect of it. The work of a really, really creative studio engineer, whether it's King Tubby or Brian Eno, impresses so much more than someone just laying down untreated tracks. Spending as much time as you did tweaking and modifying the tracks until you felt they were just right paid off and it really shows -- you definitely tapped in on what appeals to me both on a primal, and cerebral, level.

Enough gushing. Best of luck, my friend.

D_Davis
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I've just sent 12K records links to the two CSG's albums.

They accept mp3 submissions (I'm still shocked by how many labels still want demos submitted on CD via mail), and I think my style fits with their label aesthetic.

While not nearly as minimalist as Taylor Duepree, some of the label's other artists have a sound similar to mind.

I recently discovered a guy on that label who records under the name Fourcolor - and it is very, very good. As far as tone and atmosphere goes, it reminds me a great deal of Behind Clouds. Although his stuff is more glitchy than mine is.

Lasse
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Good luck with your submissions to 12K. Hope they like what they hear... I do. I have listened to the Laying Down The Law album a few times today. Very good.

I love what happens in Timmy's Dream around the 7 minute mark. I was ready to go to next track, when it shifted and captured me. I find it hard writing about music, but I love that entire track.

The rest of the album I listened to while playing Football Manager on my PC, so I have no specific comments for each song, but I liked it a lot. This is definitely an album that I'll put on once in a while.

I'll listen to the other albums later.

D_Davis
03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks Lasse, glad you are liking the music.

Laying Down the Law is a favorite of mine. Probably my most accomplished album.

Dead & Messed Up
03-11-2009, 09:15 PM

I listened to this yesterday, with no expectations, and I thought it was soothing and quietly atmospheric...but kinda dull. Not much happening, as you point out in your description. I don't listen to music like this traditionally.

But then I immediately listened to it again.

And I know that when I get home today, I plan on listening to it while I work on my writing.

So I know it's working in some way.

D_Davis
03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for listening, I appreciate it.

The CSG stuff is also quite a bit different from the other stuff, so you may even like that more.

Who knows?

D_Davis
03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
I listened to this yesterday, with no expectations, and I thought it was soothing and quietly atmospheric...but kinda dull. Not much happening, as you point out in your description. I don't listen to music like this traditionally.

But then I immediately listened to it again.

And I know that when I get home today, I plan on listening to it while I work on my writing.

So I know it's working in some way.

I don't like to "defend" my music, but while there may not be much happening "musically," as in melody, harmony, and rhythm, there is quite a bit of stuff happening atmospherically. It's all very subtle though, and I can totally understand how some may find it dull.

If that's the worst thing someone says about an ambient piece, well then that's okay.

I am encouraged to hear you say that the music has remained on your mind, and that you want to listen to it more. Being a gateway for a listener into a new genre is something that any musician would love to be.

Have you listened to it through headphones? How about outside, staring at the sky? On the cusp of well-needed night's rest? This style of music greatly benefits from specific listening environments, much like the difference between watching a horror film in the middle of the night during a storm and in the middle of a beautiful sunny day.

Anyhow, I really do appreciate you taking the time to check out some of my music. It means a lot to me. As a recording artist, there is nothing more important than the people who take the time and make the effort to listen to my music - even if they don't really like it. I make it freely and easily available to lessen that effort, and I hope to reach more listeners in the future.

D_Davis
04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Check it out.

Carl Sagan's Ghost was just added in rotation at this internet radio station:

http://www.loungingsound.com/whatsnew.php

and mentioned at the Ambient Music Blog:

http://www.ambientmusicblog.com/2009/03/31/carl-sagans-ghost/

woo hoo!

D_Davis
04-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Well, Album 3 (untitled as of now) is over 1/2 finished. This one has been tough going up until a few days ago. I've scrapped 4 almost-complete compositions (and by scrapped I mean totally deleted from my HD), and so I am thankful and relieved to see this one coming together. I don't want to jinx anything, but so far (3 tracks, 33.3 minutes of music), I think it's my best work.

Okay - so maybe I should just end it now?

3 tracks, coming in at 33.3 minutes? That's just too perfect!

D_Davis
05-03-2009, 03:27 PM
So I ended up scrapping everything I had recorded for album 3 and starting over...

I've had so many other, more important, things on my mind the last month that it's been hard to concentrate on music. But yesterday I put the final touches on the new album's centerpiece: Out of the Darkness Parts 1 and 2. The album is going to be called Darkness and the Light.

Out of the Darkness Part 2 (http://www.carlsagansghost.com/albums/otd2.mp3)

I really dig this track; I think it creates a very dense sonic atmosphere.

D_Davis
05-04-2009, 12:58 AM
I just got my second album transferred from a DAT onto a CD - this is music I haven't been able to hear since I first mastered it in 1999. I listened to it a few minutes ago, and I was shocked that I actually like it. I am now removed enough from the songs to listen to them with the ear of a listener, and not the artist, and I have to say, I was totally ahead of my time ( ;) ).

I remember one of the A&R reps who heard these demos remarking that I sounded like if Beck and Lou Barlow had a Japanese offspring. I don't know what that means, but that's cool.

I was afraid I'd hate these tunes now, but on the contrary I think of few of these are some of the best things I've ever done. There is a youthful energy about many of them, and that I recorded them all on a broken four-track, with only a broken guitar, a Casio keyboard, a bass, and a single analog keyboard is pretty amazing. Having limitations with tech definitely births creativity.

I'll upload the album this week if anyone cares to listen.

MacGuffin
05-04-2009, 03:04 AM
I just got my second album transferred from a DAT onto a CD - this is music I haven't been able to hear since I first mastered it in 1999. I listened to it a few minutes ago, and I was shocked that I actually like it. I am now removed enough from the songs to listen to them with the ear of a listener, and not the artist, and I have to say, I was totally ahead of my time ( ;) ).

This is one of my problems: whenever I come up with something, I am too much of a critic to see its potential value. I would like to hear some of your music sometime, Daniel.

D_Davis
05-04-2009, 03:27 AM
This is one of my problems: whenever I come up with something, I am too much of a critic to see its potential value. I would like to hear some of your music sometime, Daniel.

It's all available, for free, from my website.

Well - not all of it, yet. I've got 6 albums up right now, with about 10 more to come in the near future. These range in style from ambient to noise, to hip hop to space-rock.

Check 'em out if you want:

Do you make music as well? Any tunes any where? It's good to be critical of yourself, but don't be overly so. Remember, you should be your number one biggest fan. If you don't love listening to your own music, then what is the point? I love hearing what unsigned artists have to offer. In my experience, there are far more unsigned recording artists worth listening to than there are signed ones.

MacGuffin
05-04-2009, 03:40 AM
It's all available, for free, from my website.

Well - not all of it, yet. I've got 6 albums up right now, with about 10 more to come in the near future. These range in style from ambient to noise, to hip hop to space-rock.

Check 'em out if you want:

Nice. I am about to go watch a movie, but I will try to check some out tomorrow and let you know what I think.

Do you make music as well? Any tunes any where? It's good to be critical of yourself, but don't be overly so. Remember, you should be your number one biggest fan. If you don't love listening to your own music, then what is the point? I love hearing what unsigned artists have to offer. In my experience, there are far more unsigned recording artists worth listening to than there are signed ones.

Mostly experiments. I have Reaktor, Pro Tools, a Korg padKontrol, Axiom 49, and a really nice acoustic guitar, so I am trying to come up with stuff, but none of it sounds really "full" to me. I tried the newest version of Ableton Live 8 in the demo version (which claimed to only last 14 days, but hasn't seemed to not let me use it yet even though I think it has passed that time), and really loved that, but don't have the money to get it right now. I am going to try to incorporate some folksier stuff, maybe some 80s throwback into my ambient drones, one of which can be listened to here: http://soundcloud.com/weather If I remember correctly, it's some vocal clips brought through some Reaktor effects, but I think it's pretty cool. I just need to add more and still make it sound natural, organic.

D_Davis
05-04-2009, 03:51 AM
Yeah - I dig that drone. Could use a little something else, but it's a very solid foundation. Pretty and hypnotic. I love an interesting drone.

I'd like to hear more stuff in the future. Might be cool to collaborate on the ambient stuff.

You should check out Reaper - it's an inexpensive, robust DAW that is blowing my mind right now. Check the Audio Production thread for more details.

Lasse
05-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey, which one is your hip hop album? I'd really like to listen to that one. And the space rock one, whatever space rock means.

D_Davis
05-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Hey, which one is your hip hop album? I'd really like to listen to that one. And the space rock one, whatever space rock means.

I don't have whole albums devoted to those genres. There are certain songs, or hints of them in songs. The tune X-Ray Eyes on The Sounds That Surround You was the first tune I ever rapped on, and that one also has a trip-hop sounding tune called Pluto's Not a Planet Anymore. My most space-rocky album is probably Three Unfinished Albums, which hasn't been uploaded yet. The first part of that album is a soundtrack for a SF movie I made up. It also has a song in which I rap. And there is my cover of Old Dirty Bastard's Got Yo Money - that's on More Unfinished Business, still not uploaded.

MacGuffin
05-05-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm listening to Part 1 on "Behind Clouds" and I'm surprised at how good this is, I mean, no offense, but this is really good.

D_Davis
05-05-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm listening to Part 1 on "Behind Clouds" and I'm surprised at how good this is, I mean, no offense, but this is really good.

What, you expected me to suck?

Geez.

;)

No seriously, thanks!

And if ambient ain't your thing, there's other stuff as well.

Behind Clouds is by far the most unmusical thing I've ever made. Much of my older stuff is sugar-sweet pop in comparison. Some of it is sugar-sweet pop regardless of comparison.

MacGuffin
05-05-2009, 02:39 AM
What, you expected me to suck?

Geez.

;)

No seriously, thanks!

And if ambient ain't your thing, there's other stuff as well.

Behind Clouds is by far the most unmusical thing I've ever made. Much of my older stuff is sugar-sweet pop in comparison. Some of it is sugar-sweet pop regardless of comparison.

No, ambient is most definitely my thing. One of my favorite musical genres.

D_Davis
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I finished the third part of "Out of the Darkness" this weekend.

The next album is going to consist of 2 trilogies and an interlude between them.

Listen Here (http://carlsagansghost.com/albums/darkness3.mp3)

D_Davis
06-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Received a great review, from a mysterious website:

http://orientoccidental.com/

Sometimes You Get More Than What You Pay For (http://orientoccidental.com/2009/05/sometimes-you-get-more-than-what-you-pay-for/)

I have always been a firm believer in the adage, you get what you pay for. But now it appears that I have to rethink that belief. When it comes to Carl Sagan’s Ghost music you get a whole lot more than you pay for. Musician Daniel Davis has made a collection of wonderful tracks from his musical past and present available for free at his website (http://carlsagansghost.com/).

I was first exposed to his music through his latest work, Behind Clouds. The ambient tracks on this album make you feel like you are flying through space on a wave of energy. Try using Windows Media Player at full screen with the visualization set to Alchemy or one of the Battery variations for a fantastic relaxing experience. If you like the music and have the means please consider supporting Daniel’s worthy efforts through the Donation links at his website.

We would like to thank Daniel for providing such awesome and high caliber music to the community free of charge.

Pretty cool.

Looks like the new stuff is beginning to pick up some steam.

D_Davis
06-09-2009, 04:22 AM
I've got 3 netlabels interested in a future release.

Very cool.

bac0n
06-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Out of the Darkness Part 2 (http://www.carlsagansghost.com/albums/otd2.mp3)

I really dig this track; I think it creates a very dense sonic atmosphere.

Oooh, this is nice. I like how the pads seem to bend in places. Top job!

D_Davis
06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Oooh, this is nice. I like how the pads seem to bend in places. Top job!

Thanks. I think that version is an older mix as well. I like this composition quite a bit. I recently finished putting parts 1-3 together, and it turned out good.

I've spend a great deal of time on this 3rd album - far more than I usually do. It's been rough going, and I've probably scrapped around 2 hours worth of music during the process.

megladon8
06-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Awesome news about the netlabels, D.

D_Davis
06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Just found out that 2 of my songs are going to be released on the next Ambient New World compilation. They're a small, environmentally-focused netlabel. One of the previous releases had a Moby track on it, so I guess they're at least somewhat legit (unless they just swiped his track!).

The label manager said that they may also want to use the songs in their next nature doc.

No money, and that's totally cool.

Russ
06-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Congratulations! That is great news.

D_Davis
06-15-2009, 07:20 PM
So one of my tracks was chosen for an ambient comp from this netlabel:

http://label.pubspaces.com/?page_id=28#content

I'm stoked!

D_Davis
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
This morning, at 7:15, I put the final touches on the last track and finished the 3rd album: Darkness and the Light.

It's fully mixed and mastered, and boy does it feel good.

D_Davis
07-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Started on the next 2 albums yesterday. It felt great to be making music again after a week-long vacation break.

One of the albums I started is called Dark Side of the Cosmos - I'll let you figure out what that's going to be (I'll post the first finished track once it is done). This one will probably take me awhile to finish. I'm hoping it will be done by the end of this year.

The other album is the next in the ambient series. With the completion of Darkness and the Light, I finished the winter trilogy. Music for Home Offices, Behind Clouds, and Darkness and the Light all have a winter sound. The next three are going to be more summer-autumn orientated. Hopefully the next one comes to me easier than the last one did. However, even though Darkness and the Light was a tough record to write and record, it was worth it; I think it is my best work yet.

D_Davis
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Earlier this month someone made a CSG LastFM page...

http://www.last.fm/music/Carl+Sagan%27s+Ghost

Neat.

D_Davis
07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
I got signed!

Well, to a medium-sized netlabel...

But still!

I'm stoked.

D_Davis
07-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Featured on this week's episode of the Sounds of Ambience podcast:

http://soundsofambience.com/index.php?post_id=502823

D_Davis
07-27-2009, 04:58 AM
It's been awhile since I posted a new track.

Here is the first finished track off my next album. Both are untitled at this point:

Track 4 (Part 1) (http://carlsagansghost.com/albums/track_4_part_1.mp3)

(it's a big file, so be patient)

It's a little noisier than my previous efforts.

Russ
07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I meant to mention that I listened to this the other morning before heading off to work and really enjoyed it. It is quite a bit different than some of your earlier recordings. Glad to see that you're constantly evolving musically and not becoming locked in to one particular style. Oh, and big props for all the recent recognition and open doors that this project has brought you. See kids, obsession (and hard work) does pay off! :)

D_Davis
07-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I meant to mention that I listened to this the other morning before heading off to work and really enjoyed it. It is quite a bit different than some of your earlier recordings. Glad to see that you're constantly evolving musically and not becoming locked in to one particular style. Oh, and big props for all the recent recognition and open doors that this project has brought you. See kids, obsession (and hard work) does pay off! :)

Thanks Russ.

Make sure to listen to it again - I tweaked it quite a bit last night. The new mix is more dynamic than before. This album is going to be a collaboration, and I have a feeling it will end up a bit more musical and more noisy than my two previous releases.

The main collaborator is Ryan G. Tallman:

http://www.myspace.com/ryangregorytallman

The first track actually has a rhythm section! It will also have some guitar, played by a guy I just met named Travis Hartnett.

http://www.myspace.com/travishartnett

Oh, and here's a previous of the compilation I'll be on:

http://lab.pubspaces.com/2009/07/ps010-update/

Should be out in just over a week.

But yeah, things are going great. It's been really hard keeping track of and counting the loads of money being thrown my way.

Thanks for your comments!

D_Davis
08-08-2009, 02:27 PM
http://earthmantra.com/images/releases/earman091.jpg

The newest Carl Sagan’s Ghost album is ready for your listening pleasure.
I’m proud to say that this one is not being released by me, but is instead being released by the great folks at Earth Mantra - a fantastic netlabel with a stable of amazing artists and albums. Don’t worry though, it’s still totally free. I’m honored to join their ranks; it’s good to be surrounded by so many thoughtful artists, and by a label who truly cares about ambient music in its many forms.

Download the album from Earth Mantra (http://www.earthmantra.com/darknessandthelight)

Track Listing

1. Out of the Darkness I
2. Out of the Darkness II
3. Out of the Darkness III
4. Interlude I
5. Interlude II
6. Into the Light I
7. Into the Light II
8. Into the Light III

Thanks for listening. If you enjoy it, please leave a comment on the Earth Mantra site. And make sure to check out their other artists. I’m sure you’ll find at least a handful totally worthy of your time.

I also have to say that I’m flattered with Earth Mantra’s own write up of the release:

For this is one of those albums that can only be called a masterpiece. Indeed, when Daniel first asked us if we might be interested in releasing his album, our response was that not only were we interested, but we would be heartbroken if we couldn’t. This album really is that good. Darkness and the Light is an elegantly designed and brilliantly executed ambient album that stands tall with the best ambient music we have ever heard, by anyone anywhere. It is mature, it is thoughtful, it is subtle, it is immaculate, it is beautiful, and it is a must-have for anyone who loves any form of ambient music.

One of the best releases of 2009, and one we think people will be listening to for a very long time to come.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Russ
08-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Listening to it now. Very impressed, this is really excellent. The writeup nails it, too; I think this is your most mature and fully-realized effort yet. My favorites are the first movements of each of the three sections, but they're all quality recordings. The opening cut is the strongest (dubby, too!) and draws you right into the album.

Will try to leave comments on the website. Again, fantastic album. Love it.

D_Davis
08-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks man - and I agree. The first movements are the strongest, with Into the Light I being my personal favorite.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate it!

Qrazy
08-08-2009, 10:39 PM
D what's your musical background? In terms of learning composition, instruments, etc.

D_Davis
08-08-2009, 11:33 PM
D what's your musical background? In terms of learning composition, instruments, etc.

Been playing and recording since ~1991.

Started on the bass, then learned guitar and drums.

Then started on electronic programming with drum machines, some analog synths, and keyboards.

Learned the ins and outs of 4-track recording.

Then started using computers.

I'm not an expert at any one instrument. The instrument I am most comfortable on is the bass.

My area of expertise is production and sound manipulation. I'm a studio nut. Not really into playing live much.

I have little to no formal training, except for a few music theory classes.

I'm more into improvisation and spur of the moment recording. I learn the piece long enough to record it, and then I forget it.

I try to work as fast as possible, paying the most attention to atmosphere and mood.

Qrazy
08-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Interesting, thanks. I took a Midi composition class in high school and enjoyed it (used Sibelius to create the compositions) and I have about 7 years of Piano under my belt. I had to take some musical theory tests while studying piano but I still don't feel like I have a great understanding of how to put together a piece of music the way I understand writing or film. I also can't really play by ear, I have to read the music. I'd like to start making music for fun again but I feel like it would cost a great deal to create a reasonable studio and the only instrument I could play successfully would be piano. I wouldn't be able to play drums, bass, etc. Perhaps I should just download a midi program and play around (the tinny sound isn't great but I guess it's a start) and then if I create something I like I can get other friends who know these instruments to actually record the track.

D_Davis
08-09-2009, 08:18 PM
That's cool Qrazy. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Lasse
08-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I have completely forgotten to listen to your albums, apart from Laying Down The Law, which I liked.

So this post is in part to remind myself to listen to them, and to wish you congratulations on your success lately. :)

D_Davis
08-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I have completely forgotten to listen to your albums, apart from Laying Down The Law, which I liked.

So this post is in part to remind myself to listen to them, and to wish you congratulations on your success lately. :)

Cool. Hope you dig them.

D_Davis
08-10-2009, 02:37 PM
The album I'm currently working on, At the End of it All, is very strange. It is, at times, quieter, louder, less, and more musical than any of the previous CSG's albums. At times it's almost shoegaze, but without the drums. It feels like a transitional work, but to what I have no idea. I don't love any of the tracks, yet, but it's getting there.

I'm just not sure what to think of it.

I'm also starting on a split with a guy in SF named Kevin Yuen. He's an experimental guitarist. We're each composing 30 minutes of music. This will be a paid-for physical release, as well as a free download. We're thinking of releasing it on a USB Drive. Kevin is a packaging designer, and so I have a feeling it will turn out pretty awesome.

D_Davis
08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
StillStream.com to feature CSG on tonight's live show - 10pm CDT (UTC-5) Tune in and listen... http://www.stillstream.com/

D_Davis
08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
I've once again failed at my concept.

I started this newest album in an attempt to capture the mood and atmosphere of Summer. You know, feelings of warmth, nostalgia, and good times.

It has, however, evolved into something more somber - the songs now seem to depict a mood and atmosphere suggesting themes of death. Even the titles I was picking for the songs and album: At the End of it All, Solitude, The Patience of a Saint, Increasing Pressure, etc. The final track, Take a Moment, is incredibly sad and reflective.

So now the album is about death. Not the summer time. Not even metaphorically speaking.

D_Davis
08-14-2009, 01:51 AM
http://carlsagansghost.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/csgshirt.jpg

http://www.cafepress.com/carlsagansghost

D_Davis
08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
This is Mood 4. (http://www.carlsagansghost.com/albums/mood4.mp3)

There will be 15 Moods.

No Mood will be longer than 4 minutes.

It can be downloaded now.

They will be collected when the project is finished.