PDA

View Full Version : The Audio Production Thread

Pages : [1] 2

D_Davis
12-13-2008, 02:03 AM
Figure there are a few of us here who make the music. Might as well talk here rather than the random comment in the random thoughts thread.

Am I right?

Anyhow...

I got my Alesis Micron today, and man is it cool. It's definitely going to take me a while to wrap my head around it all, but I am really looking forward to it. I didn't know that it contains all of the features of the much bigger Alesis Ion - they've just shrunk everything down to a compact level, and you lose the 'knob for every job' feature of the Micron's bigger brother.

But for less than half the price, I can't complain.

http://f9g.yahoofs.com/groups/g_10449854/.HomePage/__sr_/7196.jpg?grA4ZRJBqLzXdWal

This pic shows the difference between the two synths.

D_Davis
12-13-2008, 02:10 AM
I've recently discovered this blog:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/

Seems pretty cool.

Spaceman Spiff
12-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Awesome thread. I do mash-ups, yo. Paul's Boutique style. (Probably not Dust Brothers good though.)

And always the scores for my movies.

Do you know anything about audio mixers actually? I'm thinking of getting one.

D_Davis
12-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Do you know anything about audio mixers actually? I'm thinking of getting one.

Yes I do.

What do you need to do?

bac0n
12-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Great thread, D_Davis! And that is one handsome looking synth you got there.

Occasionally I get the hankering to get something new, then I'm stopped dead in my tracks by the realization that there is so much more I need to learn about the stuff I already own.

I have a mixer, a Mackie 1402-VLZ, which I've had for 10 years and it's always served me well. I imagine tho that much more fancy stuff has come along.

Spaceman - how many audio channels do you need in a mixer? Do you need any auxiliary channels for things like effects processors? I'm thinking if you're doing mash-ups, you could probably get away with four channels. Perhaps something like the Mackie 402-VLZ3 (http://www.zzounds.com/item--MAC402VLZ3) will fit the bill...

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fit,400by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/402-VLZ3_3-4Rgt-60a9e109de48131e633229e5b19144 be.jpg

Other than that, I would recommend you going to a store like Guitar Center. They have tons of Mixers in the Pro Audio department. Check out what they got and see what you like.

D_Davis
12-13-2008, 04:34 PM
The Micron is freaking awesome. I can't believe the warmth and power this little synth has. Great purchase.

That little Mackie mixer is awesome. I've never seen one so small!

:)

Buying a mixer was the single most important thing I ever did. It completely changed the way I thought about making music.

because I knew I was going to follow this hobby for years, I opted for a 16-Channel Mackie mixer. This was about 15 years ago, and I am still using it. It set me back about $500 at the time.

I would suggest, if you can, to spend the extra money and get one with sliders, rather than knobs, for the main volume control.

My Mackie needs a little work now. It's just old, and some of the pots and connections are dirty. Taking these things apart is a bitch, so I'll probably have it professionally serviced soon.

If my Mackie ever broke, I think I would go for a Behringer now. Behringer has really come up in terms of quality, and the pretty much copy everything that Mackie does.

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/BEHRINGER+XENYX+502+MIXER+USB. JPG

I've heard that their mixers are pretty good, but you definitely can't go wrong with a Mackie. The things are built so solid.

D_Davis
12-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Occasionally I get the hankering to get something new, then I'm stopped dead in my tracks by the realization that there is so much more I need to learn about the stuff I already own.

This is a good philosophy.

I'm pretty much done buying gear for a while - probable at least a year or two.

For many, many years, all I had was a 4-track, a guitar, a bass, and a couple of Casio keyboards. I mastered the hell out of that 4-track. And I upgraded.

Then for many years I had a Roland JX-3P analog synth, and an Arp Odyssey. I still have the JX-3P, but I sold the Odyssey for an Alesis QS6.2. I needed something more pratical, with nicely sampled acoustic instruments.

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/sound/synth/002/jx3p_5.jpg

I've never once regretted selling the Arp - the thing was just to unreliable.

Well, I won't lie - it does look awesome in a studio:

http://120years.net/machines/arp/arp_odyssey.jpg

I've pretty much mastered the JX-3P (except for the archaic on board sequencer, which never even needs to be used because of MIDI), and I felt like I needed a new analog-like synth. I was starting to rely on the same sounds for things.

I thought about going strictly VST - and eventually I can see this being a good route.

bac0n
12-13-2008, 05:50 PM
I thought about going strictly VST - and eventually I can see this being a good route.

That's my direction as well. My current weapon of choice is Reason. The way I can stack effects on top of each other with reckless abandon has completely changed the way I make music. If I were to cost out the hardware equivalents of all the synts & effects I have stuffed into some of my virtual racks, the price tag would surely be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. :eek:

The next step for me is likely going to be to purchase a more heavy duty DAW like Logic and go the plug-in route as well. But that's a daunting step, and again, I still haven't unlocked all of Reason's secrets.

D_Davis
12-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a mixer, a Mackie 1402-VLZ, which I've had for 10 years and it's always served me well. I imagine tho that much more fancy stuff has come along.

This is the same mixer I have. It's a great piece of kit. The new Mackies look awesome. Many of them now come with onboard fx, and the price has really come down.

Today I'm putting the final touches on two pieces I've been working on.

One of which I really, really like. It's called 'What Use Has a Mountain?'

It's incredibly moody, and densely atmospheric. It's also the first time I've ever used a trumpet patch in a song! It reminds me of a soundtrack to a SF-noir flick, ala Bladerunner or something. Maybe a future adaptation of Russo's Carlucci trilogy.

It's one of the quietest things I've ever done. With this new project, I am trying to embrace quietness. It's hard, because historically I've been all about walls of sound and tons of layers.

The second track doesn't have a title yet.

I'll post the mixes when I'm done - I'd like to get some feedback.

D_Davis
12-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Alright.

So here is the latest tacks:

What Use Has a Mountain (parts I-IV) (http://www.genrebusters.com/mp3/mountain.mp3)

If you check it out, please do so on headphones for the full effect.

Spaceman Spiff
12-14-2008, 02:40 AM
I'll do my research in a bit (currently cramming for exams and whatnot) but I guess the only things I NEED are XLR inputs for my microphones, as I'll be using it more for film production more than anything. 4 channels would be nice. Honestly, I use an awesome 32-channel at work (with phantom power, natch) but I know next to nothing about mixers. I'll read up on it during the holidays.

bac0n
12-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Alright.

What Use Has a Mountain (parts I-IV) (http://www.genrebusters.com/mp3/mountain.mp3)

Thanks, I'll look forward to giving these a listen. I've really enjoyed stuff I've yours I've heard in the past.

D_Davis
12-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks, I'll look forward to giving these a listen. I've really enjoyed stuff I've yours I've heard in the past.

Cool - thanks.

I just finished another mix of this. I notice a few things listening to it last night in the car.

I really like this track. It's long, just under 15 minutes, and it has a really haunting mood. It's ambient in nature, and yet it is still interesting sonically, and one of the parts has a pretty groovy rhythm to it.

I hope you enjoy it.

Skitch
12-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I wish I could afford these toys.

D_Davis
12-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Mixing and mastering quiet music is a lot harder than it is with loud music. Historically, my music has been loud, and so mixing and mastering was easy - push everything up! However, I am finding it difficult adjusting to this new quiet phase I am entering into. I am having to rethink all of my techniques. It is both frustrating and exciting.

bac0n
12-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Mixing and mastering quiet music is a lot harder than it is with loud music. Historically, my music has been loud, and so mixing and mastering was easy - push everything up! However, I am finding it difficult adjusting to this new quiet phase I am entering into. I am having to rethink all of my techniques. It is both frustrating and exciting.

I bet. The quieter you get, the harder it is to hide shortcomings in your recording gear, for example, mixer hiss and the like.

bac0n
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Alright.

:eek:

Wow. This is a very good track. The vibraphone-sounding lead is wonderful. This song feels like slipping into a nice warm bath with only the flicker of candlelight to light the place.

The only thing I would do (and this is a matter of personal taste, so feel free to tell me to bugger off) would be to soften up the analog synth a bit so it fits in more with the relaxing vibe the lead gives off. Maybe switching from a sawtooth waveform to a sine would do the trick. But then again, a contrast might be what you're looking for...

D_Davis
12-15-2008, 05:36 PM
:eek:

Wow. This is a very good track. The vibraphone-sounding lead is wonderful. This song feels like slipping into a nice warm bath with only the flicker of candlelight to light the place.

The only thing I would do (and this is a matter of personal taste, so feel free to tell me to bugger off) would be to soften up the analog synth a bit so it fits in more with the relaxing vibe the lead gives off. Maybe switching from a sawtooth waveform to a sine would do the trick. But then again, a contrast might be what you're looking for...

Thanks man. Glad you liked it.

There are many things about this that I like, but I am still not completely satisfied with the part with the drums. I am going to rework this part this week.

I'll post a new mix when it is ready. I think it may address the issue you had.

I also need to experiment more with the mastering - again, it is really hard with something this quiet. There are parts that are almost not there, ya know?

That vibe sound is a slightly modified patch off of the Micron - I instantly fell in love with that patch. I'm a sucker for a good vibe patch.

What do you think of that trumpet-like sound that comes in a few minutes into the track?

Derek
12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Alright.

:eek: indeed! Seriously, that's a great song and better than a lot of the ambient music I hear. Love the variety and the transitions.

D_Davis
12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
:eek: indeed! Seriously, that's a great song and better than a lot of the ambient music I hear. Love the variety and the transitions.

Thanks a lot.

Glad you like it.

I just hope I can iron out the issues I am having with the part with the drums, and get the mix perfected.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to listen. A 15 minute commitment is a lot to ask for!

bac0n
12-15-2008, 06:26 PM
What do you think of that trumpet-like sound that comes in a few minutes into the track?

I think it works splendidly. Fits in well with the volume of the mix. A gimmick I like to employ with sounds like that is to have them wash back and forth across the stereo field, perhaps in conjunction with the filter envelope you have on it.

Also, I really dig the flange you have going on around that point as well, but then again, I'm a real sucker for a good flange.

Spaceman Spiff
12-16-2008, 04:26 AM
Can either of the Mackie Mixers (either the 1402 or the 402) run on DC?

Also, what Mics do you guys use? I've got a couple of Shure mics (dunno the exact model - they're prosumer) and they get pretty decent audio, I think.

bac0n
12-16-2008, 04:37 AM
Can either of the Mackie Mixers (either the 1402 or the 402) run on DC?

Also, what Mics do you guys use? I've got a couple of Shure mics (dunno the exact model - they're prosumer) and they get pretty decent audio, I think.

DC? As in DC power? Yes.

As for mics, I have three. One's a Shure Beta 8/7c condenser, works fantastic. The other's a Shure A98D drum mic which I clip to my bodhran. And finally, my little baby - an M-Audio MicroTrack field mic, which I take with me places when I want to find some found sounds, but it's a solid mic in its own right.

http://transom.org/tools/photos/200512_microtrack/maudio_microtrack_in_hand_2.jp g

D_Davis
12-16-2008, 01:21 PM

I just have a couple of basic SM58s. I only use the mics for vocals, and some atmospheric recording. I run almost everything direct.

B - that little field recorded looks awesome. It works pretty well, eh?

bac0n
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I just have a couple of basic SM58s. I only use the mics for vocals, and some atmospheric recording. I run almost everything direct.

B - that little field recorded looks awesome. It works pretty well, eh?

Yeah, it does! I carry it around with me in my pocket a lot, cuz ya never know when you'll hear something cool you wanna quick get a recording of. :cool:

Spaceman Spiff
12-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Can you guys tell me a little bit about your Mackie mixers? From the very short reading I've done, they look good. Dig the robust construction/chassis. That's very important for me. I'm more interested in the 802 (as I don't think I'll need 14 channels), and 3 XLR inputs are all I need, I think. Bit of a drag that the volume controls are done with knobs than sliders, though.

D_Davis
12-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Can you guys tell me a little bit about your Mackie mixers? From the very short reading I've done, they look good. Dig the robust construction/chassis. That's very important for me. I'm more interested in the 802 (as I don't think I'll need 14 channels), and 3 XLR inputs are all I need, I think. Bit of a drag that the volume controls are done with knobs than sliders, though.

Here is something to think about when considering a mixer: What you only need now will surely expand in the future, if you continue the hobby. So, for example, while 8 inputs may be all you need now, chances are in a few years you will find yourself needing more.

It is my advice to future proof yourself a bit, especially when buying a mixer. It is always better to have a couple extra channels than be short one.

When I purchased my mixer over 10 years ago, I went for the biggest one I could afford. For a few years, I only every had 2 or 3 things running into it, but now I have all but 2 channels occupied (and this are left empty because they don't work - they need to have the pots and inputs cleaned).

I love my Mackie. As you said, they are built solid - to last. I've only ever had the one problem mentioned above, and I chalk that up to user-neglect. I had my music gear stored away for a year or two and didn't properly cover the mixer.

I am interested in the newer Mackies - especially the ones that have the built in effects. I'd like to check these out. A newer mixer will probably be my next hardware purchase. I would like to get one that connects digitally to my PC.

D_Davis
12-18-2008, 04:59 PM
I am going to be collaborating with this dude:

http://www.ericsanjuan.com/musicindex.html

Check out his stuff.

It's pretty cool, especially for fans of drone/ambient and noise.

D_Davis
12-19-2008, 01:51 AM
I am getting ready to launch a very important personal project: a website cataloging all of my recorded projects. All of my albums (about 13 so far) will be available for download.

They will be free, of course, but I will be accepting donations via Paypal.

This is pretty exciting for me. I've never really put my music out there in its entirety. I've only released songs and EPs piecemeal on various forums and to select individuals.

I'll have an official launch thread when things are ready.

bac0n
12-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Very cool, Dan - both on the collaboration AND on the new website.

D_Davis
12-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Very cool, Dan - both on the collaboration AND on the new website.

Thanks B.

Hey, I've talked to a couple of my other music-buddies, and asked them if they'd like to do some remixes of my new stuff.

Would you be interested?

Given the nature of the music, some remixes would be pretty cool.

Let me know if this is something you'd like to do.

bac0n
12-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks B.

Hey, I've talked to a couple of my other music-buddies, and asked them if they'd like to do some remixes of my new stuff.

Would you be interested?

Given the nature of the music, some remixes would be pretty cool.

Let me know if this is something you'd like to do.

Yeah, that would be fun! However, I'm not going to have any time for music for at least a few months - the newborn at home's got my hands pretty full at the moment. But when I have a bit of spare time on my hands, I'd love to. :cool:

D_Davis
12-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Man, going back and listening to all of my old songs is a blast. I've combed through 105 of them so far (with about 50 to go). With some I've been surprised by how bad they are, and with others I am surprised by how awesome they are. But each one is an instant blast of nostalgia, that's for sure. Each song is like a snapshot of my life during the time at which is was written and recorded. I remember who I was hanging out with, what I was listening to, and my state of mind. For each album I am writing a series of liner notes relating interesting personal stories about the songs and the recording process.

What a kick ass project this is. I just love having this part of my life chronicled in such a way. It really adds a lot of meaning to the years I've lived.

D_Davis
01-14-2009, 02:24 AM
The first Carl Sagan's Ghost album is done.

Music For Home Offices: Volume One (http://carlsagansghost.com/?p=197)

Volume Two is coming soon.

bac0n
01-15-2009, 09:27 PM
The first Carl Sagan's Ghost album is done.

Music For Home Offices: Volume One (http://carlsagansghost.com/?p=197)

Volume Two is coming soon.

Downloading now. Looking forward to giving it a listen!

Spaceman Spiff
02-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Picked myself up an Oktava MK-012 for this talk show I'll be starting in my attic. Will post first impressions in a few days, I reckon.

Spaceman Spiff
02-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Have a question Davis, maybe you can help me out here.

I've been meaning to make my own electronica (thinking of making it more beat infused than textures and ambience), but I honestly have no idea where to start. I don't even know where to begin in regards with researching keyboards. There are so many out there, and I haven't a clue as to the features I need and such. I'm definitely going to ask around in more music-centered forums, but so far most threads that I've come across was filled with so much jargon I might as well have been reading their posts in hungarian. Heh, I don't even really know what I need to produce the music in the first place (I'm guessing a synth and a sound card, right?)

Maybe I'll just go with software music production? This will definitely go around my not-having-much-money problem. I'm pretty good with Garageband, but I'll definitely want to go with more advanced software - but then will it be able to produce the sounds I might want? Gah!

Maybe I'll just buy my friend's bass.

Spaceman Spiff
02-22-2009, 05:27 AM
To be of more help, my main inspiration is The Richard D. James Album (and yes, I realize that it was mostly composed using Apple software synths).

D_Davis
02-22-2009, 06:10 AM
I can give you a brief run down in a day or so - when I have more time.

I'm sure Bacon can as well.

bac0n
02-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Spiff - I would recommend the software route if you don't have gobs of cash to throw into your habit, erm hobby.

A lot of the software synths coming out these days are every bit as good as the hardware ones, and at $150-$300 for a software synth instead of $1000-$5000 for a hardware one, it's a lot easier on the bank account. Hell, there are plenty of top-notch freeware soft synths, and a lot of the pay ones have demo versions you can download and try out to see if you like them.

As for sequencer/sound production, if you're familiar with Garage Band, a good software package to check out would be Logic Express. It's the same engine, with a little more oomph. Once you've evolved beyond the abilities of Logic Express, you can upgrade to the full version, Logic Pro 8, which is pretty bad-ass, and recently dropped in price from $1000 to under $500.

Spaceman Spiff
02-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Spiff - I would recommend the software route if you don't have gobs of cash to throw into your habit, erm hobby.

A lot of the software synths coming out these days are every bit as good as the hardware ones, and at $150-$300 for a software synth instead of $1000-$5000 for a hardware one, it's a lot easier on the bank account. Hell, there are plenty of top-notch freeware soft synths, and a lot of the pay ones have demo versions you can download and try out to see if you like them.

As for sequencer/sound production, if you're familiar with Garage Band, a good software package to check out would be Logic Express. It's the same engine, with a little more oomph. Once you've evolved beyond the abilities of Logic Express, you can upgrade to the full version, Logic Pro 8, which is pretty bad-ass, and recently dropped in price from $1000 to under $500.

1. Such as? Rattle off a couple names. I'll do the research.

2. Logic Pro 8, eh? I'm sure I can... find ways... to get around the price.

Cool beans Bacon. Your existence has been formally approved.

D_Davis
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Soft Synths

http://www.synthzone.com/softsyn.htm

http://www.sonicspot.com/softwaresynth.html

Some of these link are a bit janky, but this will at least provide you with a good start and some names to look for.

bac0n
02-22-2009, 09:43 PM
1. Such as? Rattle off a couple names. I'll do the research.Native Instruments makes a couple of awesome software synths. My favorite of theirs is the aptly named Massive (http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=massive). Another popular synth of theirs is Reaktor (http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=reaktor5), which is a huge monster of a synth you could spend a lifetime learning all the secrets of.

Another good resource is Computer Music Magazine (http://www.computermusic.co.uk/). They're always reviewing soft synths, and the included DVD has shitloads of freeware, demos, and royalty-free samples.

2. Logic Pro 8, eh? I'm sure I can... find ways... to get around the price.Logic Express (http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/) is $200 bucks, which is pretty cheap for a software DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

Cool beans Bacon. Your existence has been formally approved.Whew! I was getting worried there for a second. :P

D_Davis
03-30-2009, 04:14 AM
A couple of inexpensive DAWs people on the IDM forums are talking about.
Can't vouch for them though.

http://www.reaper.fm/
http://www.zynewave.com/index.html

D_Davis
04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Just put some $ down on this:

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/A4FLOPN.JPG

But fretless.

Plays like a dream.

Spaceman Spiff
04-08-2009, 09:46 PM
!!!!!

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I really need to upgrade my bass, and I'm def going fretless.

D_Davis
04-08-2009, 10:07 PM
!!!!!

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I really need to upgrade my bass, and I'm def going fretless.

Check these out then.

Laguna/Ocean

They were made exclusively for Guitar Center by a Korean company called Cort. They make a bunch of low-end basses for Fender and others.

I am buying a used one for $399.

The hardware alone would probably cost $200. It's a 5-piece, neck-through, 3-band EQ, EQ on/off switch, Hip-Shot tuners, Bartolini pickups, and a solid feel.

They feel and sound way more expensive than they are.

For comparison, I played a Fender fretless Jazz Bass ($699), and I didn't like it nearly as much as the other.

D_Davis
04-09-2009, 04:01 PM
So I think I'm going to be trading my pedal steel guitar for this '57 Fender D8 Stringmaster:

http://email.powweb.com/atmail/mime.pl?file=100_1361-3.JPG&name=http://www.petenoon.com/Fender_Steel.jpg

http://email.powweb.com/atmail/mime.pl?file=100_1368-3.JPG&name=

I've come to realize that I just don't have the necessary time to devote to learning the PSG, and I'm pretty sure that I will be able to do what I want to do on a standard lap steel.

And damn is that a nice looking guitar! The '57 Stringmasters are highly sought after.

D_Davis
04-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Just spent the last 5 hours putting together the main track for my 3rd ambient album; it's a 20 minute long composition that acts as a transitional piece between the first 3 and last 3 albums of this current project.

bac0n
04-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Just spent the last 5 hours putting together the main track for my 3rd ambient album; it's a 20 minute long composition that acts as a transitional piece between the first 3 and last 3 albums of this current project.

You can put together an entire track in 5 hours? I've spent that amount of time tweaking a single measure ;)

D_Davis
04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
You can put together an entire track in 5 hours? I've spent that amount of time tweaking a single measure ;)

Yeah - usually, at least a good foundation. I still have to tweak some stuff, but for the most part I was able to start-finish that track in 5 hours.

But there was also some time spent during a previous session. So I probably spend about 6-8 hours total on that particular 20-minute track.

I like to work fast, and I don't like spend too much time on any one thing. I'm more into capturing a certain moment, flaws and all, rather than working and reworking for some kind of perfection.

D_Davis
04-14-2009, 07:34 PM
The IDM forums are compiling a list of free VST synths - awesome.

http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=30935

bac0n
04-14-2009, 09:12 PM
The IDM forums are compiling a list of free VST synths - awesome.

http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=30935

Thanks for the link. Registered.

D_Davis
04-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the link. Registered.

It's a great forum.

Tons of awesome music (their own netlabel puts out some killer comps, hope to get on one in the future), and the members are pretty cool, if a bit on the young side.

Good advice as well.

I am constantly amazed by how good the music is coming from these dudes, all of whom are mostly unsigned, hobbyists like ourselves. It is both comforting and humbling.

Hopefully I see you around there.

D_Davis
04-16-2009, 10:04 PM
So I sold/traded my pedal steel, and picked up that fretless bass today, and I'll be getting a Nord Lead (original) next week for the trade side.

I've always, always wanted one of those sexy red synths.

D_Davis
04-17-2009, 02:42 PM
My new bass sounds awesome, especially run through some long delay. This is going to add a whole new layer to my ambient music, and I am really looking forward to using it more.

I've always admired the fretless work on Brian Eno's Apollo, and Jah Wobble, too, has been an inspiration.

bac0n
04-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Looking forward to hearing it!

As for me, I'm looking forward to getting back into the music production. I've been too busy with baby and haven't touched anything in months.

D_Davis
04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
As for me, I'm looking forward to getting back into the music production. I've been too busy with baby and haven't touched anything in months.

I still haven't heard any of your tunes man - I'd like to some time.

bac0n
04-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I still haven't heard any of your tunes man - I'd like to some time.

You and me both! ;) When I finally get something finished that I'm satisfied with, this is the first place I'll be posting it.

Lasse
04-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Can someone recommend me a piece of software that works similarly to Audacity, but has a few more functions. Specifically I'd like to do some vocal effects.

D_Davis
04-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Can someone recommend me a piece of software that works similarly to Audacity, but has a few more functions. Specifically I'd like to do some vocal effects.

Can't vouch for this, but you may want to check it out:

Reaper
(fully featured demo)

As far as effects go, you'll probably want some VST/plugins. Does Audacity support those?

Here are a bunch of free ones:

http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=-1

Lasse
04-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Can't vouch for this, but you may want to check it out:

Reaper
(fully featured demo)

Cool. I'll check that one out.

As far as effects go, you'll probably want some VST/plugins. Does Audacity support those?

Here are a bunch of free ones:

http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=-1

Hey, it looks like it does. Thanks for that link!

D_Davis
04-18-2009, 06:42 PM
With VST plugins, you'll have loads of free instruments and effects available.

Tons of synths, drum machines, and all kinds of stuff.

D_Davis
04-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm going to try out that Reaper program today.

It looks pretty awesome.

Lasse
04-19-2009, 07:50 PM
With VST plugins, you'll have loads of free instruments and effects available.

Tons of synths, drum machines, and all kinds of stuff.

I never really used plugins for any software. I'll definitely try this, because it looks like it is what I'm looking for.

And let me know if the Reaper thing is useful.

D_Davis
04-19-2009, 09:22 PM
So far, Reaper has been fantastic. I'm really digging it.

Seems easy enough to dive into, but it also appears to have some robust features for future use.

I really like the mixing features.

D_Davis
04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
You call that a synth?

http://www.serge-fans.com/images/FistofGod_2003.jpg

Why yes, I do.

Behold, The Fist of God aka the multiple-rack-mounted Serge Modular

D_Davis
04-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Last night I finished my first track using Reaper - and I am in love.

It is solid, stable, easy to use, but has a ton of pro-functionality to master in the future.

The Mix-Matrix and easily-assignable ins and outs for each track are very, very cool.

It's also very easy to create mix buses and to do side-chaining compression, and adding fx to the tracks is intuitive.

The only drawback is that it is not a full featured wave editor, but you can always use Audacity for that. All this means is that I will still use Cool Edit's and Soundforge's wave-editing features in conjunction with Reaper.

D_Davis
04-24-2009, 05:35 AM
After spending long periods of time writing and recording music, I often find that I fall into ruts very easily. I always seem to turn to the same keyboard/drum machine/program to generate a track's foundation, and I begin to use the same effects and processing techniques.

To combat this trend, I've developed two sets of flashcards to help me randomize the starting process.

One set has a name of one of my instruments/sound generators on each card: bass, guitar, JX-3P, Micron, Absynth, Fruity Loops, Voice, etc.

The other set, a smaller one, has a name of an over-used effect or a technique to try: reverb, no-reverb, mic'ed, direct, fieldrecorder, etc.

When I sit down to write and record a new composition, I will draw a card from each set and this will be how I begin to lay out the sounds.

Should be an interesting process.

bac0n
04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Have you ever played with music generation software, Dan? Seems like a good way to get out of a rut, or to whip up some ideas for new songs, or to just dink around and have some fun. I have some links in a magazine at home - I'll post them when I get my hands on 'em.

On the Reaper note, looks pretty cool! I have a demo of Ableton Live that I wanna start playing with once I get some time to do so.

bac0n
04-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Also, I find that just going around and previewing instrument patches, or dinking with synths almost always results in some four measure riff that I instantly record and save to a specific folder I use for song ideas.

D_Davis
04-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Have you ever played with music generation software, Dan? Seems like a good way to get out of a rut, or to whip up some ideas for new songs, or to just dink around and have some fun. I have some links in a magazine at home - I'll post them when I get my hands on 'em.

On the Reaper note, looks pretty cool! I have a demo of Ableton Live that I wanna start playing with once I get some time to do so.

Sometimes I use the random feature in Fruity Loop's piano roll. It's pretty cool, and I'd definitely be interested in other ideas/programs.

I checked out Ableton Live for a few days (found a torrent with an insane amount of seeds - dl'ed in like 30 minutes...), and it didn't grab my attention right away. It's very good for what it is, and it has amazing tutorials, but I found it to be not suitable for what I am doing. I have since uninstalled the cracked copy. I do have a version of Live Lite 6 that came with my M-Audio MIDI controller, so I might try that out for a bit.

I will definitely be purchasing a license for Reaper. I'm a convert.

The demo is fully featured and there is no time limit, so you may want to check it out.

I purchased the $5 PDF manual so that I could print it; if you want a copy, let me know.

bac0n
04-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm gonna be in the market for a full fledged DAW sooner or later, but I have it as a personal goal to not entertain the idea until I have all the song seeds I have turned into actual, you know, songs. I have about ten or so of those, so I have a bit of work ahead of me. I will definitely be keeping Reaper in mind, especially considering it has VST support and costs about 200-300 less than comparably-featured DAWs which is a big deal.

Do you know if it has ReWire support? That would be frickin' awesome.

D_Davis
04-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Do you know if it has ReWire support? That would be frickin' awesome.

Yes it does, although I've heard there are some problems that some users are experiencing. But Reaper is still a work-in-progress.

The developer has stated that one of the main reasons for keeping Reaper a closed-source DAW is because Propellerheads will not license the Rewire stuff to open-source projects.

So even if it doesn't work perfectly now, it most certainly will in the future.

Here is a forum post from someone who is using Rewire:

For every module in Reason thats routed to the hardware interface, there needs to be a seperate audio track for it in Reaper, with the input assingned to the coresponding output of the hardware interface. This is no different then a real life hardware studio, no matter what sequencer you use, there has to be a midi track assigned to a modules, and there has to be an audio track for that modules sound to go thru. If you had an mpc, mackie mixer and a triton rack, your midi track would be in the mpc (assigned to the triton rack) and the audio track would be on the mixer (with audio coming from the output of the triton rack). The only diff here, is that you get to do your routing all on a big pretty screen that sits right in front of you, as opposed to having to climb behind racks of gear and run physical cables from component to component. Incase you missed it, you need a seperate audio track in Reaper, for each module in Reason. Hope this helps.
LevLove

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226488&page=2

So it sounds like it works, you just have to use it in a way that Reaper is set up for.

bac0n
04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Very cool. That requirement of every Reason lane requiring a separate Rewire connection holds for several other DAWs as well, actually. And by the time I'm able to get something like Reaper, I'm sure any other kinks will have been hammered out. Thanks!

D_Davis
04-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Very cool. That requirement of every Reason lane requiring a separate Rewire connection holds for several other DAWs as well, actually. And by the time I'm able to get something like Reaper, I'm sure any other kinks will have been hammered out. Thanks!

It makes sense with the way Reason is designed, and how it is supposed to simulate a hardware-like environment.

It's really easy to set the IO options in Reaper, and the mix-matrix is awesome. You could easily set up some very complex chains of sounds and f/x, with each one modifying and manipulating another.

D_Davis
05-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Got my Nord Lead on Tuesday...

http://www.cratekings.com/wp-content/uploads/image/june08/nordlead2.jpg

It is a thing of extreme beauty. After playing with it for a couple of days, I understand why they are in such high demand. The thing sounds amazing.

bac0n
05-01-2009, 07:51 PM
congrats!

D_Davis
05-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I don't regret the trade at all. Got a fretless bass and a Nord Lead for my Pedal Steel Guitar. I'm going to get a lot more use out of those instruments than I will the PSG.

D_Davis
05-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Yes please, I'll take one. (http://illusion.scene360.com/3d/3836/3d-computer-interface/)

Lasse
05-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm downloading Reaper. Can't wait to find the time to actually use it.

My biggest problem with learning to use new software is that I simply don't have the patience to tinker around with it and read the tutorials. :frustrated:

D_Davis
05-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm downloading Reaper. Can't wait to find the time to actually use it.

My biggest problem with learning to use new software is that I simply don't have the patience to tinker around with it and read the tutorials. :frustrated:

That is a problem. I am trying to force myself to learn it. I am so comfortable with my old software, but it is very old and out dated. I need to stay more current. However, learning a new software can halt the creative process, but it can also spark new ideas. It's a little give and take, and right now I find myself using a bit of the old and a bit of the new.

Lasse
05-08-2009, 10:24 PM
That is a problem. I am trying to force myself to learn it. I am so comfortable with my old software, but it is very old and out dated. I need to stay more current. However, learning a new software can halt the creative process, but it can also spark new ideas. It's a little give and take, and right now I find myself using a bit of the old and a bit of the new.

I understand, but at least you're "into" the whole thing. It's just such a big and different world to me. I'll read a tutorial called "how to use the sequenzer" and I'll think "wtf is a sequenzer?!".

Baby steps.

D_Davis
05-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I understand, but at least you're "into" the whole thing. It's just such a big and different world to me. I'll read a tutorial called "how to use the sequenzer" and I'll think "wtf is a sequenzer?!".

Baby steps.

Well yeah, don't rush it. Remember, I've been recording music for like 15+ years...I didn't know anything when I first started either. I think it was easier back then though, because we didn't have access to these complex working environments. I started on a simple little 2-input four-track, and then worked my way up. It must be strange starting on something like Reaper - a daunting task I'm sure.

D_Davis
05-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Propellerhead's new DAW was announced on Saturday:

ReCord

(get it?)

http://www.musotalk.de/software/video/article/propellerhead-record-review/

bac0n
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Propellerhead's new DAW was announced on Saturday:

ReCord

(get it?)

http://www.musotalk.de/software/video/article/propellerhead-record-review/

Um. Wow. This is huge for Reason fans like myself. I only assume it will integrate tightly with Reason - which is awesome. Now if it supports VST or similar plugins, I think I'll soil myself.

D_Davis
05-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Um. Wow. This is huge for Reason fans like myself. I only assume it will integrate tightly with Reason - which is awesome. Now if it supports VST or similar plugins, I think I'll soil myself.

I think it's basically a DAW strictly for users of Reason and other PH products. It's probably made especially for people like you, B. It allows you to use Reason in a DAW environment without having to Rewire anything, thus increasing the stability of each.

bac0n
05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I think it's basically a DAW strictly for users of Reason and other PH products. It's probably made especially for people like you, B. It allows you to use Reason in a DAW environment without having to Rewire anything, thus increasing the stability of each.

Yeah. The main gripe people have with Reason is its lack of MIDI & Audio Recording Support. Record seems to address these concerns directly. And at only 150 clams if you already own Reason! Gonna have to dust off the old Roland JP8K and Korg Prophesy. ;)

Good thing it doesn't come out until September. I'd hate to have to spend the entire summer in the basement.

bac0n
07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey, can this thread be expanded to include DJ production gear too? If so...

I had a little bit of gift money and a few Guitar Center gift cards burning a hole in my wallet, so I decided to splurge and pick up Traktor Pro (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-pro/), DJ software similar to what I used to make the Shake Your Booty Mix. So far, it's looking pretty bad-ass. It has multiple audio routing options, a shitload of effects and gizmos, and - what I'm excited about - the ability to midi-map to midi controllers. My Korg Kontrol49 keyboard has a lot of sliders and an AKAI MPC style pad, and it would be awesome if I could figure out how to map them to various Traktor functions. That would be so legit, I can hardly stand it. Anyway, I might have to make a DJ set or two when I get halfway decent at this and share it with you's guys.

D_Davis
07-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Traktor Pro looks like a great piece of software. While I wouldn't have a lot of use for it making my own music, it looks like it's a robust workstation for the deejay-minded producer. It's got lots of neat stuff.

bac0n
07-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Traktor Pro looks like a great piece of software. While I wouldn't have a lot of use for it making my own music, it looks like it's a robust workstation for the deejay-minded producer. It's got lots of neat stuff.

Yeah, and it's almost too easy to use. I was able to pick up and play and start mixing songs together seamlessly.

D_Davis
07-28-2009, 02:11 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3441/3753632357_2798a976f9.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beemmusic/3753632357/in/set-72157603608532660/

bac0n
07-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Ha Brilliant!

D_Davis
07-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Reaper 3.0 was recently released, and they've added even more features. It's amazing that you can get a DAW this robust and full-featured for $60. Unheard of, really.

bac0n
07-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Reaper 3.0 was recently released, and they've added even more features. It's amazing that you can get a DAW this robust and full-featured for $60. Unheard of, really.

60 bucks? That's nuts!

D_Davis
07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
60 bucks? That's nuts!

Yeah - that's the discount license fee for a single commercial user making less than $20,000/year off of audio made with Reaper.

That's me!

Also, Reaper is the software used for Rock Band, and it was recently announced the users are going to be able to make and track their own songs for RB and then sell them on XBLA.

I guess Reaper was made by some guys at Harmonics for their own creations.

http://creators.rockband.com/spec/reaper

bac0n
07-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah - that's the discount license fee for a single commercial user making less than $20,000/year off of audio made with Reaper.

That's me!

Also, Reaper is the software used for Rock Band, and it was recently announced the users are going to be able to make and track their own songs for RB and then sell them on XBLA.

I guess Reaper was made by some guys at Harmonics for their own creations.

http://creators.rockband.com/spec/reaper

Wow, that's totally awesome. Hard to justify forking out $500 for something like Logic Pro when at a little more than 10% of the price Reaper has 95% of the functionality that Logic Pro has (and that extra 5% that Logic has I probably don't need anyway).

bac0n
08-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I have an invite code for the open beta of Propellerheads' Record. Any of you guys want it, PM me and I'll shoot it on over.

D_Davis
08-20-2009, 03:50 PM
I have an invite code for the open beta of Propellerheads' Record. Any of you guys want it, PM me and I'll shoot it on over.

Nice. I'm sure someone will make good use of this. You'll have to keep me posted on your thoughts.

bac0n
08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Not sure if I'm gonna have the time over the next few weeks to dive in, but if I do, I'll sure post my reactions.

D_Davis
08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Not sure if I'm gonna have the time over the next few weeks to dive in, but if I do, I'll sure post my reactions.

I'd take you up on the offer, but I'm smack dab in the middle of learning Reaper, on top of starting at ground zero on video editing. My plate is officiall full right now.

D_Davis
09-02-2009, 01:23 PM
It's a good feeling when 4 hours of mixing and mastering 1 song pays off. It's the worst feeling ever when it doesn't.

Luckily for me, last night it paid off.

Qrazy
09-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm taking a graduate course in Audio Perception this semester so perhaps I'll be able to bring some interesting info. to this thread.

bac0n
09-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm taking a graduate course in Audio Perception this semester so perhaps I'll be able to bring some interesting info. to this thread.

Audio Perception? What sorta stuff will you learn in that class? Like how to parse sounds to get at their finer qualities? That sorta thing?

Qrazy
09-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Audio Perception? What sorta stuff will you learn in that class? Like how to parse sounds to get at their finer qualities? That sorta thing?

Well it's a psychology class so it's more about how sound works (psychophysics) and how human beings perceive it (neurobiology and general psychology). We talked a lot about bandpass, distortion effects (creating the perception of a sound that isn't in the original stimulus) and similar stuff today.

bac0n
09-10-2009, 03:03 AM
Well it's a psychology class so it's more about how sound works (psychophysics) and how human beings perceive it (neurobiology and general psychology). We talked a lot about bandpass, distortion effects (creating the perception of a sound that isn't in the original stimulus) and similar stuff today.

Wow, that sounds like one hell of a cool class.

D_Davis
12-29-2009, 11:15 PM
So I bought one of these last week:

http://musicianstools.files.wordpress .com/2009/02/tenorion.jpg

It's interesting.

Not sure if I love it yet.

Although I'm nowhere near being able to make something like this, yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkhQHY_Lh24&fmt=18

D_Davis
12-29-2009, 11:20 PM

Psychoacoustics is interesting. Ever thought about how reverb makes you feel, or, better yet, the lack of reverb?

D_Davis
01-04-2010, 09:51 PM
So I'm sending the Tenori-On back. It's just the instrument for me. I was OK with the limitations I knew about, but after having it for a week I discovered many limitations that I did not know about, and these I could not overlook. Especially for the price - for $1,000, I need something far, far more useful, and less novel.

I've decided to trade it in for a Waldorf Blofeld Desktop Module.

http://www.drumza.com/images/WaldorfBlofeldDesktopSynthesiz erModule.jpg

At almost 1/2 the price as the Tenori-On, I will be saving quite a bit of money, and this VA/Module synth will be infinitely more useful in my current set up.

D_Davis
01-08-2010, 10:41 PM
ROFLCOPTER

http://hydrogen.nu/mnml/i_heart_minimal_vst.gif

bac0n
01-09-2010, 01:43 AM
damn, that would make a great iPhone app

D_Davis
01-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Heh..yes it would.

Got my E-Mu 0404 hooked up this morning.

http://www.jmsinfo.com/images/E-Mu_0404_USB_Audio_24-bit_192kHz.jpg

I like it. It sounds great. I've read many good things about its mic pre-amps.

D_Davis
01-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Rearranging the studio today.

Hopefully it turns out well.

D_Davis
01-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Did some rearranging today. Much better

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/stu1.jpg

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/stu2.jpg

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/stu3.jpg

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/stu4.jpg

D_Davis
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Got my Blofeld yesterday - it's awesome.

The sound engine is so crisp, and clean. And it's surprisingly easy to program - very intuitive in its layout.

bac0n
01-15-2010, 03:01 PM
NICE.

I wish I had the time and the mojo to do music stuff, but these days I have neither.

Spaceman Spiff
03-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I want a drum machine. What's the best I can get for ~200$?

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 01:48 AM
I want a drum machine. What's the best I can get for ~200$?

What kind of sounds are you interested in?

Spaceman Spiff
03-29-2010, 03:19 AM
What kind of sounds are you interested in?

Heavy bass and groove. Something like first half of Remain in Light, but also with some of the artificiality of My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, I guess (I'm thinking 'America is Waiting' in particular.)

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 03:31 AM
You would probably be best off by buying Fruity Loops. It's a software-based DAW (digital audio workstation). It makes a fantastic drum machine, as well as being a great entry point into the world of electronic music. It's quite versatile, and you can get all kinds of free plug-ins for it - called VSTs. With only ~$200 to spend, this is the route I would go.

However, if you really want a hardware drum machine for that price, you might want to check out the Boss DR-202. While the out-of-the-box sounds are a bit dated, with some tweaking you can get some very nice sounds. It also has a dedicated track for bass lines, and a track for triggering MIDI. I used one for years, and recorded all kinds of music with it - everything from hip-hop to rock.

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/IMAGES/BOSS_DR-202_MAIN2.jpg

You can pick these up for pretty cheap now.

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 03:32 AM
Spent just about the whole day mixing our recording session from yesterday. It's sounding really good. I think I'll be able to put together about 45 minutes worth of good music from our hour long improvisation. Not bad.

Spaceman Spiff
03-29-2010, 03:33 AM
I want a hardware drum machine. I've played with DAWs before, and frankly it's not the same to me.

Cool rec. I'll check it out. Thanks.

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 03:37 AM
CWs9venb_oU&feature=related

Spaceman Spiff
03-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Pretty neat. It sounds quite 'punchy', to me.

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 03:40 AM
Pretty neat. It sounds quite 'punchy', to me.

It's got some good filters on it, so you can make it sound punchy and bright, or dark and muted. It also has built in delay, reverb, and flange.

bac0n
03-29-2010, 03:17 PM
If you got the money and are looking for a hybrid hardware/software solution, Native Instruments' Maschine (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/) is pretty badass.

If all you need is a midi-controlled rack-mount unit, I have a Novation Drumstation I wouldn't mind parting with.

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 03:24 PM
If you got the money and are looking for a hybrid hardware/software solution, Native Instruments' Maschine (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/) is pretty badass.

If all you need is a midi-controlled rack-mount unit, I have a Novation Drumstation I wouldn't mind parting with.

Yeah, those are rad, but a little over his price.

If you can spend around $4-500, your options greatly improve.

How much do you want to sell your Drumstation for?

bac0n
03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, those are rad, but a little over his price.

If you can spend around $4-500, your options greatly improve.

How much do you want to sell your Drumstation for?

$30 bucks + a copy of the first track you produce using it.

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 04:00 PM
$30 bucks + a copy of the first track you produce using it.

Sold.

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 04:02 PM
He may also want to check out the Korg Electribes. I've heard you can score those used for a very good price.

bac0n
03-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Sold.

Lemme wait to hear from SpaceMan. If he doesn't want it, it's yours.

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Lemme wait to hear from SpaceMan. If he doesn't want it, it's yours.

Coolio.

Spaceman Spiff
03-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Bu-huh what is this? I've been in exam mode all day.

Spaceman Spiff
03-30-2010, 05:19 AM

I'm confused as to what this is exactly (even after reading up on it). It's a drum machine with which you can modify the original samples? Can I play and record samples on this or not?

bac0n
03-30-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm confused as to what this is exactly (even after reading up on it). It's a drum machine with which you can modify the original samples? Can I play and record samples on this or not?

no you can't. the novation drumstation is essentially an Roland TR808/909 emulator that you control from a midi sequencer. If it's a standalone box you're looking for, I would go with Dan's suggestions.

D_Davis
03-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Spaceman, you may also want to check out the Korg Electribe ER-1.

Spaceman Spiff
04-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Also, how can I make that shoegaze sound? Davis!

D_Davis
04-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Also, how can I make that shoegaze sound?

Which one?

If it's guitar, well, there are many, many methods. Start with lots of delay and reverb, lowering the volume of the dry sound, and increasing the wet. You'll also want some kind of subtle pitch modulation. This could be a machine generated vibrato or chorus with a slow rise, or you could do it manually with your fingers or with the wammy bar.

It's actually a very complex sound. Many people just think its a bunch of distortion and reverb, but if you look at the guitar rigs of people like Kevin Shields, or Slowdive, or Medicine (Brad Lainer used a 4-track for his distortion to get true channel overdrive), you will find exceedingly complex set ups and methods.

My favorite is that super clean and lush sound of someone like Robin Guthrie. That dude's tone is second to none.

You also want to experiment with different amps, or amp simulations. Try simulating a Roland JC-120 (Jesus and Mary Chain's amps) with a mic placement set way back.

D_Davis
04-01-2010, 03:40 AM
You may want to look at an Alesis Micron. It's an digital synth that simulates analog. It has all kinds of synth capabilities, plus it has a bunch of drum kits. You can sequence patterns directly on the keyboard, and you can store up to 1,000 patches. It's got all kinds of stuff, and it only costs about $300. It's the only piece of equipment I have that if stolen or broken I would replace it the next day with the exact same thing.

http://johnnywestmusic.files.wordpres s.com/2009/06/micron-2.jpg

I love my Micron.

D_Davis
04-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Man - been working on my next album for almost this whole year so far. Taking its time in coming together, that's for sure. Hope it's worth the effort.

D_Davis
04-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Finished the next EP. Titled: Especially for Them. Will be coming out on the BFW netlabel. I really, really like this one. The final 2/3 came together quite nicely. It's basically one long track, broken up into 3 parts, about 35 minutes in length.

Lasse
07-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Ok, so I want to buy a singing microphone. And of course I want it to be both good and cheap, around $30-40, and I need to use it to record on my laptop with either a USB or 3.5 jack. What am I supposed to buy, people?

If it's something that I can get on amazon.co.uk, that'd be nice, but it's not a requirement.

bac0n
07-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Ok, so I want to buy a singing microphone. And of course I want it to be both good and cheap, around $30-40, and I need to use it to record on my laptop with either a USB or 3.5 jack. What am I supposed to buy, people?

If it's something that I can get on amazon.co.uk, that'd be nice, but it's not a requirement.

Unfortunately, $40 doesn't go very far when it comes to recording microphones. I looked around the Shure website - Shure makes great mics - and they have a USB pluggable condenser mic, but that goes for $199 on guitarcenter.com.

I guess the question should be, then: what are you hoping to record? Vocals for a song? A podcast? If it's fidelity you need, then you'll have to spend more money for a decent quality mic. If you're just recording a speech or something, then you could probably use a standard USB mic you could find on the cheap at a computer store or a big box retailer like Best Buy.

Lasse
07-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately, $40 doesn't go very far when it comes to recording microphones. I looked around the Shure website - Shure makes great mics - and they have a USB pluggable condenser mic, but that goes for $199 on guitarcenter.com.

I guess the question should be, then: what are you hoping to record? Vocals for a song? A podcast? If it's fidelity you need, then you'll have to spend more money for a decent quality mic. If you're just recording a speech or something, then you could probably use a standard USB mic you could find on the cheap at a computer store or a big box retailer like Best Buy.

Well, I just want to record a for-fun rap with a friend, and all we have is a Guitar Hero microphone, which is sort of poor. So I'm aiming for the level just above that. I'll probably just find something on the cheap somewhere. :)

D_Davis
07-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I've recorded vocals on a $10 mic from Radioshack, and also using the send-side of a pair of headphones (all headphones can double as a mic). While the original source sound might be crap, with some distortion, EQ, and creative f/x use, using lo-fi mics can be very cool.

Lasse
07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah, that's true I suppose. I'll try and tinker around with this audacity-program. I haven't used it to edit vocals much, besides removing noise.

Though I still need to get a microphone that doesn't crash audacity when I plug it in. My friend's microphone doesn't do that.

Lasse
07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I've found out that the microphone on my Steelseries 4H headset is pretty decent. I'll make this work, somehow. :lol:

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Bought myself a new little mixer today

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs435.snc4/47789_120633477987305_10000121 9601760_129110_2745622_n.jpg

It's about 1/2 the size of my old one. I knew my old one was having problems, but I didn't know how bad it had become until I got the new one up and running. Everything works and sounds great. It's also a little better for life performance because it's smaller and thus it'll force me to work with fewer instruments.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Do you like the Alesis Micron? Is it easy to input after a while? The world of soft-synths (Reaktor and the Axiom) has been a painful and clunky one for me, but it's definitely opened the door to just how fun and easy playing the synthesizer is. For functionality purposes and for the overall "cool" feeling of hardware synthesizer knobs and keys, I really want to get a nice, cheap one some day, however far off that may be.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:09 AM
I LOVE the Micron. Love it. It's the source of probably 60% of my sounds. If mine broke, I'd buy a new one the next day.

However - it is not the easiest VA synth to program, because it lacks a knob for every job. It takes time. It makes sense, and it's user-friendly (because it's Alesis, and, IMO, they make the easiest to use gear around), but there are a TON of menus to click through. I'd hate to learn on it.

I'm not a big fan of using VST synths - but that's just me. Let me put it this way - if I"m designing sounds, I try to use my hardware synths (Alesis Micron, Waldorf Blofeld, Nord 1, Alesis QS6.2) but I do use some VSTs for their presets. Quite a few actually.

If you're looking for a new VA hardware synth, check out the Roland Gaia. This is going to be my major purchase this year:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/roland-gaia-synthesizer-546x349.jpg

They run about $600, and they look sweet! Can't wait to get my hands on one. I'll probably buy it in December.

However, I don't think you can go wrong with the Alesis Micron, especially for $300. The sounds are HUGE, it's got a ton of flexibility, and it looks really sharp. It's lightyears ahead of the Micro Korg, which feels like a toy in comparison.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:10 AM
I tried that Roland Gaia at Guitar Center the other day! It's amazing, but so expensive! An investment, I guess.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:13 AM
I tried that Roland Gaia at Guitar Center the other day! It's amazing, but so expensive! An investment, I guess.

$699 isn't bad - especially since you get a knob for every job.

The Alesis Micron packs all of this:

http://www.tim-carter.com/music-production/pics/ion.jpg

Into this:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/alesis_micron.jpg

So you can see why it's only $300.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I think me personally, I'd be happier with the Gaia. In fact, it was my favorite synth of the ones I played that day. I'm still deciding which instrument I want to try next. I've also been considering a new classical guitar, a 12-string acoustic, maybe a bass guitar, and I've also wanted to try my luck at the alto-sax for a while.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:16 AM
I kind of wish Alesis would make a rack-mount version of the Micron. A couple of those in a rack with a good MIDI controller would be about all you'd ever need. They could probably make one and only charge about $200 for it.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:18 AM
I kind of wish Alesis would make a rack-mount version of the Micron. A couple of those in a rack with a good MIDI controller would be about all you'd ever need. They could probably make one and only charge about $200 for it.

Rack mount meaning one where there would be more knobs and less relying on the LED screen? Honestly, that's the part I don't like and the keys don't really feel the way I like them to. Fun fact about the Gaia: I also saw a sort-of key-tar right below it that was obviously a sister model.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Let's put it this way. I've been playing synths for about 15 years now. I've had an Arp Odyssey, a Moog, and now I have the Micron, Nord, JX-3P, and and the Blofeld, and my favorite out of all of them is the Micron. The sound engine is just beautiful, and it is so dang flexible. It's got all the drums you'd ever need, a totally robust layer/set-up system, a phrase recorder, a completely programmable arpeggiater, and a decent vocoder. With a good MIDI sequencer, it could be all you ever needed.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:21 AM
I won't deny that the Micron sounds quite nice; very fuzzy and warm.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:22 AM
A rack-mount meaning no keyboard attachment:

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/reckb/cabinet/brand_c/c6_nr2x_1.jpg

Just the brain and the few knobs.

Then you could control it with a MIDI controller or something.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Oh, I see. That's cool.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Have you ever tried a monome?

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:27 AM
You may also want to check out the Blofeld

http://www.drumza.com/images/WaldorfBlofeldDesktopSynthesiz erModule.jpg

The new OS makes it totally amazing. Out of the box it's a little wonky, but after that first upgrade it's a totally different beast. You will need a MIDI controller with this, or just sequence everything from your DAW. It's got a very unique sound, and the programming capabilities are totally overwhelming. It packs in a ton of synthesis into the tiny little desktop module, and the modulation matrix turns it into a virtual module synth system with the way you can patch things together. I've had mine for almost a year, and I haven't even scratched the surface. I plan on really learning it during the next couple of months.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:29 AM
Have you ever tried a monome?

Yeah - they're cool. Although a little techie for me. And really freaking expensive. Not really into that boutique gear; I don't like how they're kind of status symbols. I"m more about just plugging in and playing. Old school. :)

I also had a Tenori-On for awhile, but I didn't like it at all. Traded it for the Blofeld and an audio interface.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:29 AM
That is pretty neat. Thanks for the tip.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:30 AM
Yeah - they're cool. Although a little techie for me. And really freaking expensive. Not really into that boutique gear; I don't like how they're kind of status symbols. I"m more about just plugging in and playing. Old school. :)

I also had a Tenori-On for awhile, but I didn't like it at all. Traded it for the Blofeld and an audio interface.

I hear ya. I just think it's a pretty cool audio-video synthesis device. It'd probably be an annoyance to set up.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:30 AM
Or the Dave Smith Tetra

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/images/tetra_page.jpg

It's basically 4 mono synths in one tiny box. A little pricey though at $800. Again, they're kind of boutique items.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:34 AM
I hear ya. I just think it's a pretty cool audio-video synthesis device. It'd probably be an annoyance to set up.

Yes - I love the combination of audio and video.

Personally, I'd be just as happy with a Novation Launchpad or two. I like how the interface is changing the way people make electronic music.

And Tim Exile is leading the charge. Ever seen this:

UGT1tZT9C1o

In 20 years people will look back on Tim Exile as a major game-changing electronic musician. He's basically the Brian Eno of his generation.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:34 AM
The Tetra seems to be going in the opposite direction. If I were to buy a hardware synthesizer, I'd want more knobs and while the Biofield looks really cool, I think I'd probably also want keys like the ones on the Roland or the Microkorg (what can I say I like retro sounds ... these guys nail it: )

s39joCPL9Nc

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:40 AM
That's a pretty neat video; I'd never seen it before. Tim Exile was mentioned around the Native Instruments forum a lot when I browsed it as I was learning basic Reaktor stuff. He certainly knows his way around his little studio there. I can't help but feel like if I had the money to afford such a set up, I could do some pretty neat things too. But yeah, his vast knowledge of synthesizers is quite obvious just from watching him perform.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:47 AM
He's amazing, one of the true musical geniuses. His last album, The Listening Tree, is the best electronic music I've heard in probably a decade, maybe more. Sonically it can't even be touched, and the dude can write songs as well. Good vocals, interesting lyrics, complex arrangements and programming, and inventive use of technology. Just having the tech and toys won't make you anything unless you practice and have the mind to think about things in new ways. Exile's mind works in the same space as Eno and Fripp were. His music demands your attention, and if you're into making music you'll get even more out of it. It's awe-inspiring. That it was largely panned by much of the press, and ignored by many fans of electronic music, is a total shame. I think it's The White Album, or The Dark Side of the Moon of modern electronic music.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Actually, I disagree. I think talent is largely a matter of how aesthetically interesting the artists' sounds are, I could care less about how well they know the instrument (and henceforth, I don't think 'practice makes perfect' at all). If we listen to musicians like Keiji Haino, we can see that even the rawest recordings show major talent if only because they are sonically interesting. (And for the record, I appreciate an artist like Keiji Haino more than I actually enjoy him, although a lot of his work with Fushitsusha - especially their first album - is very enjoyable to me.)

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 05:58 AM
It's never about what you have, but how you use it. The best shoegazer album I've ever heard - yes, I like it better than Ride's Nowhere and MBV's Loveless - was recorded on a $200 4-track, with an Alesis drum machine, one guitar, and a handful of f/x pedals. It was by a guy named Ryan Tallman who performed under the name Vitamin Gun. The album is all but gone now. It was recorded years before recordable CD technology was available to consumers, and the master cassette tapes are either lost or they've deteriorated.

My advice to people wanting to get into making electronic-based music is to start small and simple, and gradually and slowly work your way up. I've heard amazing music made with nothing but a laptop and a MIDI controller. However, I'm also totally partial to DIY home recordings and the CC licensed world of music, so take that as you will.

Do you write and record? What kind of stuff? Have anything online anywhere to listen to?

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 06:00 AM
I think talent is largely a matter of how aesthetically interesting the artists' sounds are, I could care less about how well they know the instrument (and henceforth, I don't think 'practice makes perfect' at all).)

Yeah - we'll just have to completely and utterly disagree here. Knowing your instruments and practicing helps in creating sonically interesting sounds and music. It's more than just knowing your instruments technically - it's about being comfortable with them, and that comes from practice. There is no substitute for practice.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Do you write and record? What kind of stuff? Have anything online anywhere to listen to?

I've made some ambient compositions before, but a lot of it got lost one day when I stupidly cleared my hard drive. I mostly enjoy playing acoustic guitar covers and singing/playing harmonica, but I want to do a little more. I'd really like to recommend Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti if you haven't heard it. He's my pick for the greatest songwriter of his generation. Here is a sample, one of my favorites of his (though trust me there's much more where this came from, he has albums and albums of other wonderfully constructed pop jams):

6GkI6Wqvr4A

Next time I record something worthwhile and get it on the web, I'll be sure to let you know. ;)

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Yeah - we'll just have to completely and utterly disagree here. Knowing your instruments and practicing helps in creating sonically interesting sounds and music. It's more than just knowing your instruments technically - it's about being comfortable with them, and that comes from practice. There is no substitute for practice.

I guess I can partially agree that knowing your instruments can be helpful, as it obviously allows you to do far more. Still, I think there is a physical connection between the artist and the instrument where they simply play based on how they feel - a sort of fusing the emotion into the physical act of interacting with, and henceforth, playing the instrument.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 06:05 AM
That Ariel Pink is cool. Reminds me a lot of Ween, and I've been feeling really brown this past month.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 06:09 AM
I look forward to hearing some of your ambient work some day. Lord knows I love ambient music.

:D

Anyhow, finishing up some new music now before bed. Good talk.

MacGuffin
08-26-2010, 06:11 AM
I look forward to hearing some of your ambient work some day. Lord knows I love ambient music.

:D

Anyhow, finishing up some new music now before bed. Good talk.

Alright man, have a good evening.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Oh...tired eyes.

Was up until 12:30 last night working on music. Sometimes inspiration chooses the damnedest time to reveal herself. Let's hope I still like what I recorded come this evening. As long as it's good, a tired day will be worth it.

bac0n
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
I'd love to get my hands on Reaktor some day, when I can afford to take six months off to spend learning it. The thing just looks so huge and foreboding. The mount everest of modular soft-synths.

On a different note, Reason 5 was released yesterday, but I'm gonna hold off buying it for awhile. I've had a serious lack of mojo these past few months that I'm having trouble working my way out of. In the mean time, I'm continuing to hone my Traktor DJing skiz-ills.

D_Davis
08-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I'd love to get my hands on Reaktor some day, when I can afford to take six months off to spend learning it. The thing just looks so huge and foreboding. The mount everest of modular soft-synths.

Totally. I think I'd be totally overwhelmed by the possibilities. It'd take at least 6-months of full-tweaking to even scratch the surface.

How about a class taught by Tim Exile? Now that'd be something.

bac0n
08-26-2010, 03:35 PM
It's a beast, to be sure, but if I were to master it, I would be able to put out the kinda stuff Hybrid puts out, cuz they're total Reaktor nerds. Well... to put out the kinda stuff Hybrid puts out I'd also need to get my hands on a full symphony orchestra, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. :D

D_Davis
08-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Finishing up a new EP for the Audio Gourmet netlabel. They have a unique approach to their catalog - each release is about 15 minutes long, just long enough to listen to the entire thing during a coffee break at work. They've put out some really interesting things.

http://www.audiogourmet.co.uk/

D_Davis
08-29-2010, 05:08 PM
My next album is going to be a post-glowwave, pre-chill-fi, pseudo-glow-fi-chillwave ambient, dubstep remix of a Justin Bieber interview.

D_Davis
08-30-2010, 03:10 PM
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9811/enodxpatchesef6.jpg

D_Davis
08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Hey yall,

The discount version of Reaper (the best DAW I've used) is now on sale for only $40. It's full featured. There is really only one version of Reaper.

http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

Get it. It's awesome.

The discount version is available to any single-user using for personal use, or a small business making less than $20k a year.

bac0n
08-31-2010, 02:23 AM
Hey yall,

The discount version of Reaper (the best DAW I've used) is now on sale for only $40. It's full featured. There is really only one version of Reaper.

http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

Get it. It's awesome.

The discount version is available to any single-user using for personal use, or a small business making less than $20k a year.

OMG So tempted.

D_Davis
09-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Looks like a cool Software/MIDI editor for the Micron.

http://mysite.verizon.net/retroware/micronAU.png

Can't wait to check it out.

Automation!

Milky Joe
09-04-2010, 07:25 AM
So here's a question for you Davis, or anyone else:

I have a four-track tape recorder I've been using to record stuff. My thought is that I get the proper cable to connect it so that the output is through my computer's sound card (which I've been planning to do anyway to use the computer to mix down the tapes), couldn't I then also turn the four-track into an essentially however-many-tracks-I-want with some sort of music software? If so, what would you recommend? I'm on a Mac, and my knowledge is limited: I mainly just want something easy to use.

D_Davis
09-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes. In that instance you'd basically be using the 4-track as a pre-amp/mixer running directly into your soundcard's input. But you wouldn't be using the 4-track to record the audio - you'd be using the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) to record each track.

Might as well just use Garageband. However, my personal favorite DAW is Reaper, and it is also out on the Mac now. The demo is fullfeatured and never expires, and it's only $40 right now for a single-user, small business license. Best deal on the planet.

D_Davis
09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/roland-gaia-synthesizer-546x349.jpg

Just ordered the Roland Gaia as an apartment-warming present for myself.

MacGuffin
09-22-2010, 06:27 PM

Just ordered the Roland Gaia as an apartment-warming present for myself.

Lucky bastard. Have fun with it!

D_Davis
09-24-2010, 03:46 AM
SyqPZcFRkRY

Really interesting.

D_Davis
09-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Getting the new place set up:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs321.ash2/60092_128644833852836_10000121 9601760_166950_3600080_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs322.ash2/60235_128644997186153_10000121 9601760_166951_3483437_n.jpg

D_Davis
10-11-2010, 04:55 AM
A new demo from an upcoming, non-Carl Sagan's Ghost project.

Hello World (http://carlsagansghost.com/albums/Helloworld.mp3)

bac0n
10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
iNudge (http://inudge.net/index.en.html) is LEGIT.

D_Davis
10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Nice. It's like a free Tenori-On. I like these little matrix sequencers.

bac0n
10-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Nice. It's like a free Tenori-On. I like these little matrix sequencers.

Yeah. I came up with a pattern I liked so much, I took a screen cap so that I can later plug it in to a sequencer.

MacGuffin
10-14-2010, 06:37 PM
How's the new synth treating you, Davis?

I've been trying out Ableton Intro for a while—it's basically the better lite version of the two. It's simplistic and fun. Probably gonna grab the full version so I can get all the stuff I'm missing. I want to try the Operator and the sampler/slicer really bad.

D_Davis
10-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm liking the new synth a lot. Last night I recorded a simple little phrase with it. I had that looping, and then I plugged my guitar into the keyboard through the audio-input, and was playing along with it. Then I just ran the USB connection from the synth to my laptop and recorded the jam. It's awesome that the Gaia doubles as a basic audio-interface.

How many tracks does Ableton Intro let you use?

MacGuffin
10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
How many tracks does Ableton Intro let you use?

Hmm, I'm not sure and the website isn't advertising it. I haven't met the maximum yet obviously, but I think I read 16 tracks. Honestly, Intro is just as difficult to work with as Lite (a little less so), but it still gives you an idea of Ableton potential—it's the sort of program that seems tailor made to fit my creative tendencies.

Right now, I'm just trying to familiarize myself with mixing (getting all the tracks at proper volumes, mastering, that sort of thing) and sequencing/building from a simple bassline or texture and adding depth. I feel like I've climbed out from under a rock, because when I was learning about basic synthesizer functions with Reaktor, I really only overdubbed when I wanted to put an ambient track together. There's no DAW-like sequencer in Reaktor since it's just a plug-in and the DAW I was using (Pro Tools le) sucks ass.

MacGuffin
10-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Also, if I learn Ableton now, I could potentially use it to DJ in the future!

D_Davis
10-14-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm looking into INTRO to use for future live performances. Ableton is just about a million times easier than any other DAW to map MIDI functions to external controllers. I'll basically just be using it as a live, interactive mixer of digital audio. I just saw that it supports up to 64 audio tracks, so that is more than enough for what I'd need. I'll probably still do my recording in Reaper, but then move the mastered stems to Ableton for live performance.

MacGuffin
10-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Just learned Operator and Sampler are only included in Suite which is $500+ or separately, which kind of sucks.

bac0n
10-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I really really really wanna play around with Ableton, but there are only so many hours in the day, and I have too many other things I wanna get my hands on first. Like the new version of Reason, for starters.

D_Davis
10-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Just learned Operator and Sampler are only included in Suite which is $500+ or separately, which kind of sucks.

I mainly just use free stuff. Do you know about these sites:

This is probably the most comprehensive database for free plug ins:
http://gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=-1

VST Cafe is cool too:
http://www.vstcafe.com/

KVR Audio
http://www.kvraudio.com/

MacGuffin
10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I mainly just use free stuff. Do you know about these sites:

This is probably the most comprehensive database for free plug ins:
http://gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=-1

VST Cafe is cool too:
http://www.vstcafe.com/

KVR Audio
http://www.kvraudio.com/

I've never heard of the first two. Thanks.

MacGuffin
11-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Daniel, if my music isn't sounding as good as a studio recording or a recording from just an artist like Burial -- ie the actual sound quality of my recording just always sounds slightly more lo-fi -- is this because of the sound card I am using (the Mbox Mini 2) or do I need to practice EQing more?

D_Davis
11-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Daniel, if my music isn't sounding as good as a studio recording or a recording from just an artist like Burial -- ie the actual sound quality of my recording just always sounds slightly more lo-fi -- is this because of the sound card I am using (the Mbox Mini 2) or do I need to practice EQing more?

There could be a number of reasons. The most important one is mastering. Mastering is one are in which MONEY plays a very, very important role. It's also the hardest part of the recording process to perfect - it takes years and years to learn how to master properly. You could probably send your recorded tracks to a professional mastering house and they will probably sound better than you could ever make them.

However, also be aware that most modern music that is professionally mastered is brickwalled to make it sound as goddamn loud as possible, thus stripping the music of its dynamics. This is a whole other issue, though.

It could also be the hardware you're using, or your EQing, or really any number of things.

Can you post an example or something?

MacGuffin
11-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Can you post an example or something?

I'll PM you.

endingcredits
11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I've been playing guitar, bass, and drums for a while now (roughly 10 years) and I have some experience with 8-track recording and mixing. Sadly, I've stored most of my gear in my dad's basement back in NY while in grad-school. So lately I've been thinking seriously about getting into making electronic music on my computer. Any suggestions on where to start; i.e. information and software?

MacGuffin
11-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I've been playing guitar, bass, and drums for a while now (roughly 10 years) and I have some experience with 8-track recording and mixing. Sadly, I've stored most of my gear in my dad's basement back in NY while in grad-school. So lately I've been thinking seriously about getting into making electronic music on my computer. Any suggestions on where to start; i.e. information and software?

I'd recommend Ableton Live and a MIDI controller. The new Axioms are awesome and the new models supposedly don't have the clicking knobs. (http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/07/new-improved-m-audio-axioms-qa-and-controller-keyboard-choices/#more-12144)

D_Davis
11-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Since you have experience in analog multi-tracking, and you play more "traditional" instruments, I'd recommend checking out Reaper. It's a brilliant piece of software (DAW - digital audio workstation) and it's cheap. The demo is full-featured, and never expires, and a single-user license is only $60.

bac0n
11-01-2010, 09:09 PM

If it was me, I would start with some of the more accessible programs like GarageBand (Mac) or Steinberg Sequel (PC) both of which can be had for well under $100. Each of those have big brother versions, so as your skills and needs evolve beyond the abilities of the software, you can bigger-up pretty easily, or of course jump to other DAWs such as Pro-Tools Lite, Ableton Live, Reason/Record, Reaper, etc.

D_Davis
11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
As you can see, you're going as many different answers as there are people to answer. Everyone will tell you their DAW is the best for you. Just check out the demos for all of the above-mentioned programs, and you will find one that works for you.

My personal evolution was:

analog 4-track -> analog 8-track -> PC w/ Cool Edit Pro/Fruity Loops -> Reaper w/ a number of free VST/VSTi's.

I've also messed around with Pro Tools and Ableton Live.

endingcredits
11-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll check out the suggestions out and post updates. I have garage band pre-installed, but I'm not too keen on the layout. A friend also suggested audiotool.com, so I'll give that a try too.

D_Davis
11-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Tomorrow night will be the first practice with my new "band." It's a duo consisting of a laptop, two keyboards, and two guitars. We don't have a name yet. It's a lot different than CSG, that's for sure. For one, there are actual beats that kind of groove, and it will definitely be louder. However, it will still be somewhat ambient and atmospheric in nature. Oh, and I'll be singing again as well.

D_Davis
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Tim Exile is the best thing to happen to electronic music since the invention of the synth.

zzyr66QhrOw

He just made the single most amazing product advertisement ever.

bac0n
11-17-2010, 02:45 AM
WANT

D_Davis
12-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Today I am trading my

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fit,400by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/blofeld_topview-fbf8a013146a38f847e7597b969f34 bd.jpg

For a

http://www.tweakheadz.com/images/NI_MASCHINE.jpg

D_Davis
12-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Been doing a lot of trading/selling recently.

In addition to the Waldorf/Maschine swap, I've also sold my Alesis SR16 and my Roland JX-3P, and I traded my Novation MIDI controller for a Roland sampling pedal (RC 20).

I also recently purchased a Korg KP3. I'm really trying to put together a set up that allows for more live performance.

endingcredits
12-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Been doing a lot of trading/selling recently.

In addition to the Waldorf/Maschine swap, I've also sold my Alesis SR16 and my Roland JX-3P, and I traded my Novation MIDI controller for a Roland sampling pedal (RC 20).

I also recently purchased a Korg KP3. I'm really trying to put together a set up that allows for more live performance.

Do you trade via the internet or local vendors? I have some old tube amplifiers that I am looking to trade for some gear.

D_Davis
12-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Do you trade via the internet or local vendors? I have some old tube amplifiers that I am looking to trade for some gear.

Via Craigslist. Always meet in person, local.

bac0n
12-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I've been eyeing Maschine for awhile. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

D_Davis
12-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I LOVE the Maschine. Holy crap is it awesome. The samples and kits it comes with sound amazing. However, I do have a problem. Because it is used, I need to contact NI and get the license transferred to me. Their license protection is insane, and I am hoping this won't be a problem. Right now I'm having to run a cracked version of the software even though I own it now. So totally stupid.

It's a fantastic piece of kit, though.

MacGuffin
12-12-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm confused. How is it any different than an Akai MPC?

D_Davis
12-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm confused. How is it any different than an Akai MPC?

The software runs on a computer, being controlled by the hardware.

It's comparable to the MPC 5000, but about $1,000 cheaper because you need a PC to handle everything.

The software can be run as a stand alone application, or as a VST in a DAW.

With the way the software is set up - with scenes and parts - it's basically a combo version of an MPC 5000 and Ableton Live.

bac0n
12-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Maschine also integrates seamlessly with Traktor for on-the fly groove creation. That's pretty flippin' cool.

Sometime when I get an extra 800 clams, I might wanna pick it up, heheh

D_Davis
12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Maschine also integrates seamlessly with Traktor for on-the fly groove creation. That's pretty flippin' cool.

Sometime when I get an extra 800 clams, I might wanna pick it up, heheh

It's only $599 now.

ledfloyd
12-13-2010, 08:09 PM
so i've been playing guitar and piano for quite some time, and i write little songs but i've never tried recording anything on the computer. is there a cheap and easy way to make decent sounding recordings?

bac0n
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
It's only $599 now.

nice!

maybe it'll be even cheaper in a few months when I have some extra money lying around.

bac0n
12-26-2010, 08:57 PM
After about a two year funk, I think I've got my mojo back. Got a fresh copy of Reason 5 / Record 1.5 that I'm gonna be diving into over the next weeks, can't wait to finish up some projects long on the back burner as well as start a few new ones.

D_Davis
12-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Excellent!

D_Davis
12-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Reaper FM is now only $40, for v3. This license will also include a free update to v4 (coming soon!) and will keep you updated through v4.99. One of the best software deals on the planet, especially if you're into making music.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

endingcredits
12-28-2010, 01:42 PM
I am very happy with Reaper. It's very inexpensive for what it offers.

bac0n
12-28-2010, 03:38 PM
If/when I decide to go the plug-inable DAW route, Reaper is definitely gonna be at the top of the list.

D_Davis
12-28-2010, 03:49 PM
I am very happy with Reaper. It's very inexpensive for what it offers.

I've used two extremes in addition to Reaper - ProTools and Cool Edit Pro 2. Reaper blows them both away, and you're not tied down to using ProTools-approved hardware.

bac0n
01-13-2011, 04:30 PM
FYI:

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/011211/electronic-music-flowchart.gif

MacGuffin
01-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Man, I've just discovered Renoise and I think it's going to be my new DAW. Daniel, have you ever used this? It's tracker-based. I think this will be perfect for me.

D_Davis
01-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Man, I've just discovered Renoise and I think it's going to be my new DAW. Daniel, have you ever used this? It's tracker-based. I think this will be perfect for me.

I have not. The only tacker I've ever used was on the DS. I know people who love Renoise, though.

D_Davis
02-12-2011, 05:26 PM
B - how's The Mouth?

Picked up a pair of these last night:

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fit,400by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/50899_done-bfcd1c1f06431a5e722ef9121216a5 ad.jpg

They sound great. Been noticing a lot of ear fatigue lately because I mainly do my recording on headphones.

bac0n
02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
The Mouth - after a bit of difficulty acquiring the download from Native Instruments (their post sales support is rather lacking) I finally got it downloaded and installed, but that's as far as I've gotten. Haven't been in much of a music making mood lately, to be honest.

One thing I have planned, is I wanna get the Rock-Band keytar committed to muscle memory, and then I figure I'll be able to have some real fun with the thing.

endingcredits
03-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Wow D, that trick with the 4-track to get pure overdrive is amazing. I've been playing a strat with Fralin vintage hot pickups http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyleVH.asp (yes, I'm pimping these) first input to an old 1965 Guild Thunderbass amp with master volume removed, then piping that into my Tascam Portastudio-424 4-track. Then, I output the 4-track channel (currently just using the headphone out because I can't get the speaker out to work) into a Carl Martin compressor+Ernie Ball volume pedal before piping it into my Fender Deluxe Power amp (power amp tubes channel only) -> speaker cab. The overdrive and sustain I've been able to get out of this is incredible and I can finally play at moderate volumes with fully overdriven tubes. If I want to add a effects channel, say, for a delay+envelope filter, where would be a good place in this chain to put it without compromising the clean overdrive?

D_Davis
03-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I would just experiment with what sounds the best. I usually put my delay after any modulation and distortion fx, and before reverb.

guitar - vibrato - filter - chorus - distortion - delay - reverb - amp

Milky Joe
06-03-2011, 05:56 AM
This has probably been answered before in this thread, but could someone tell me a good piece of software for drum machine type stuff? I'm thinking Aphex Twin type DnB stuff. I'm on OSX if it matters.

D_Davis
06-03-2011, 02:53 PM
This has probably been answered before in this thread, but could someone tell me a good piece of software for drum machine type stuff? I'm thinking Aphex Twin type DnB stuff. I'm on OSX if it matters.

Free, or paid?

Milky Joe
06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
There's a difference? ;)

But seriously, either way, whichever's more n00bie friendly.

bac0n
06-10-2011, 07:08 PM
There's a difference? ;)

But seriously, either way, whichever's more n00bie friendly.

Are you looking to create your own beats, or to assemble samples together into songs? If the latter, you may wanna try Acid (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/acidsoftware) or FL Studio (http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/what.html). Demos are available for both.

D_Davis
02-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Picked these up this week:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KMTLEWmnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/52990_l.jpg

It's been a lot of fun messing with them and getting them incorporated into my set up. Man, I cannot wait to start making new music again - it's so exciting. It's been too long (~8 months).

D_Davis
02-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Spent the whole day writing, recording and mastering. Almost 12 hours. The extended break was just what I needed.

Finished an 18-minute long composition today.

D_Davis
04-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I swapped my Roland Gaia for these this weekend:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/555002_351018364948814_1000012 19601760_1030624_2049510679_n. jpg

And I love them. So much fun. The blue one is a drum machine/synth workstation, and the red one is a drum machine/sampling work station. They work really well together.