PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones -- Who's Your Provider?

Spun Lepton
12-10-2008, 05:39 PM
And do you like them?

I signed up with Cingular about 4 years ago and got the roll-over plan. Since then, they changed to AT&T, and AT&T are total pigfuckers. I hate them with a passion and I want to dump them.

So, folks, any recommendations?

shaun
12-10-2008, 05:54 PM
AT&T and Verizon. I have no problem with either of them.

Ezee E
12-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Verizon. No problems.

Benny Profane
12-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Verizon. No problems.

Sycophant
12-10-2008, 06:01 PM
I signed up with Cingular about 4 years ago and got the roll-over plan. Since then, they changed to AT&T, and AT&T are total pigfuckers. I hate them with a passion and I want to dump them.

Same story, actually. Except for the hate and pigfucking part. They cool wit' me.

Mara
12-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I have Sprint, and while reception is good, I have a couple annoyances.

1. Every human person who works for Sprint appears to be an idiot, or possibly mentally ill. I try to avoid them by only using online payments, etc. but:

2. Every few months they change the process for usernames or passwords on the website and I invariably get locked out of my account.

Raiders
12-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Verizon. No problems.

Thirded.

Wryan
12-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Verizon but it's a recent change so I don't have much to report on.

Hugh_Grant
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Verizon. No problems.
Fourthed...or fifthed.

My other half has AT&T, and I don't think he's had problems.

Sven
12-10-2008, 06:28 PM
T-Mobile. Service and product issues, as well as their general unwillingness to help me out when I sent a phone of theirs back because it was busted and they still charged me for the replacement. Sons of bitches.

megladon8
12-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I still don't own one. Hate them. Don't foresee myself owning one anytime in the near future.

Sycophant
12-10-2008, 06:46 PM
I still don't own one. Hate them. Don't foresee myself owning one anytime in the near future.I keep forgetting you're 70.

number8
12-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Same here, Spun. Loved Cingular since I signed up 5 years ago, but then AT&T bought them and it went to shit.

Got an iPhone, though.

Sycophant
12-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Can someone tell me what's so shitty about AT&T? Because I'm apparently missing it with my service, and I hate to be missing out.

Kurosawa Fan
12-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Verizon. I don't really care about my cell phone, so I guess it's okay.

Dukefrukem
12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Verizon. Best servive I've ever had. And I've had Cingular, AT&T and Nextel.

The thing that sucks about Verizon, is their phones.

Fezzik
12-10-2008, 07:27 PM
AT&T here as well. No problems to report, but I go through business services.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
12-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Tracfone baby.

BirdsAteMyFace
12-10-2008, 08:03 PM
T-Mobile. Never had any issues, but I do wish they'd update the ringtones on their website more regularly.

shaun
12-10-2008, 08:18 PM
What is there to screw up with cell phone service anyways? I've always had coverage aside from 2 hours of a middle of nowhere Cali roadtrip, I can't remember the last time I had a dropped call, and I pay online so there never any billing issues.

I don't think I've even spoken to customer service for a cell phone in the past 5-6 years.

Duncan
12-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Can someone tell me what's so shitty about AT&T? Because I'm apparently missing it with my service, and I hate to be missing out.

If your bag (which contains your cell phone) gets stolen in Europe and you don't have an opportunity to report it stolen for 14 hours, and in those 14 hours some thief racks up $647 worth of long distance charges, AT&T will try to charge you that $647. You will have to spend, literally, 3 hrs talking to moronic customer service people periodically being told to calm down, sir, because you've spent 1, 2, 3 hrs talking to these idiots. Finally, you'll get to someone who seems like they know what they're doing and you will think the problem is solved.

Until...a month later you get a call from a collection agency saying you owe $647 dollars because AT&T didn't actually erase your supposed debt from their books. Then that collection agency will call you every fucking night for another month, and every night you will tell them the same goddamn thing, and every night some new person who says they have no authority to fix the problem and that you should talk to AT&T...anyway, this bullshit just keeps going and it will be, unless you have to deal with an insurance company, the most frustrating experience ever.

Duncan
12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
The whole "I'm a Canadian living for the next 5 years in the United States and would like a cell phone" thing was difficult for them to handle as well. Do these ridiculously large companies not have procedures for providing service to American residents? There must be literally like a million non-citizen residents of the US at any one time. It's not as though it's a small market.

Spun Lepton
12-10-2008, 09:35 PM

I had no problems with dropped calls until AT&T took over. I live in "the ghetto" and the service is a fucking joke here. Spotty coverage at best. Dropped calls left and right, it's terrible. And it doesn't help that AT&T are nazis about getting payment ... let my bill slip by a few hours and BOOM -- disconnected service. Fuck them and their shitty service.

I'm going to look into Verizon. Thanks, folks.

Spun Lepton
12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Follow-up question. Are any of Verizon's "free-phone-with-XX-plan" worth a damn, or should I do some shopping? Anybody have an opinion?

Ezee E
12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Follow-up question. Are any of Verizon's "free-phone-with-XX-plan" worth a damn, or should I do some shopping? Anybody have an opinion?
Depends. If you're one that doesn't care about the type of phone you get, or just a decent one, you'll be fine with the free ones. If you want one of the top-notch, popular, or gadgetery phones, you'll have to put out some money.

Spun Lepton
12-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Depends. If you're one that doesn't care about the type of phone you get, or just a decent one, you'll be fine with the free ones. If you want one of the top-notch, popular, or gadgetery phones, you'll have to put out some money.

I don't need anything like an iPhone or an LGDare or anything that fancy. I'd just like a good phone that will stand up to my abuse. I'm looking through reviews right now. Looks like LG might be the brand I'll go with.

Ezee E
12-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't need anything like an iPhone or an LGDare or anything that fancy. I'd just like a good phone that will stand up to my abuse. I'm looking through reviews right now. Looks like LG might be the brand I'll go with.
Yeah, there's many a phones you can get for free that can stand a few drops.

Skitch
12-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Verizon is the only provider in Ohio with adequate coverage. I've had Alltel, it was awful.

Wryan
12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Hey, whoa, now. Let's not forget about colony collapse.

Increasingly awesome cellphone coverage = closer to extinction of life on this planet?

I'm serious...about some of this post.

Ivan Drago
12-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Fourthed...or fifthed.

My other half has AT&T, and I don't think he's had problems.

Fifthed.