PDA

View Full Version : Keanu cast as Early-18th Century Japanese Samurai Soldier!

The Mike
12-10-2008, 04:59 AM
http://www.cinematical.com/2008/12/09/keanu-reeves-is-a-samurai/

Described as mixing elements of The Lord of the Rings (fantasy) and Gladiator ("gritty battle scenes"), the film aims to tell a stylized version of a true story that took place at the beginning of the 18th century in Japan. A group of samurai became ronin (samurai without lord or master) after their master was forced to commit ritual suicide because, after repeated insults to his honor, he assaulted a court official. The 47 ronin eventually avenged the death of their master, even though they knew that they, in turn, would be required to commit suicide. Traditionally, the tale of the 47 ronin has been held up as an example of honor and other noble qualities. The story itself has been told numerous times in movies and television, and it's also served as loose inspiration for many other projects, such as John Frankenheimer's terrific Ronin (1998), with Robert DeNiro.

Keanu's 47 Ronin is being scripted by Chris Morgan, who co-wrote Wanted. Morgan is also the writer of the upcoming Fast & Furious and previously did The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift and Sakura: Blue-Eyed Samurai, about a 19th century woman training to be a samurai, so he has a track record of projects set in Japan, for whatever that's worth. 47 Ronin intends to start production next year, but a director must be selected first. Whoever else comes on board, this is being pitched as a very, very loose interpretation of the classic tale.Whoa. :crazy:

MadMan
12-10-2008, 05:09 AM
What is with whitey as samurai? First Tom Cruise, now this. I blame that guy who decided to star as The American Samurai or whatever that really bad 80s movie was :P

Saya
12-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Awesome!

http://i37.tinypic.com/2li7awy.jpg

Kurosawa Fan
12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Fuck. Off.

DavidSeven
12-10-2008, 05:09 PM
The story itself has been told numerous times in movies and television, and it's also served as loose inspiration for many other projects, such as John Frankenheimer's terrific Ronin (1998), with Robert DeNiro.

. . . .

Whoever else comes on board, this is being pitched as a very, very loose interpretation of the classic tale

No indication that this will actually be a samurai story.

Dukefrukem
12-10-2008, 05:18 PM
bwhahaha All i can think about when I read this title is...

"Guns... lots of Guns..." and... "your planet?"

This is gonna be suckarific!

number8
12-10-2008, 05:32 PM

Yeah, I bet it's going to be Ronin-like.

The Mike
12-10-2008, 05:34 PM

True, but considering the "mix of LOTR and Gladiator" lead, I assume it'll be a lot closer than Frankenheimer's film, for example.

And almost every article that pops up about it on IMDB states it's a period piece set in Japan.

number8
12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Nevermind, I read the original report at Variety and they say it's an epic period film and he is playing a swordsman.

DavidSeven
12-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Sounds like a 300 knock-off to me.

MadMan
12-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Sounds like a 300 knock-off to me."Whoa dude! This is, like Sparta!"

The Mike
12-11-2008, 04:18 AM
"Whoa dude! This is, like Sparta!"
I disagree. I do not think it will be like Sparta until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar!

Grouchy
12-11-2008, 01:14 PM
First thing came to my mind is John Wayne as Genghis Khan.

http://www.asianweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/6_johnwayne.jpg

"Yer beautiful in yer wrath!"