PDA

View Full Version : The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Watashi
12-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Jay Baruchel (Fanboys, Tropic Thunder) is in talks to play the lead role in Disney’s The Sorcerer’s Apprentice. Inspired by the classic Mickey Mouse animated sequence from Disney’s 1940 classic Fantasia, the film tells the story of a powerful sorcerer, played by Nicolas Cage, who seeks out an apprentice in modern day New York City. National Treasure-series helmer Jon Turteltaub directs the Jerry Bruckheimer production.

Not much else is known about the film at this time, but the writers involved might give you some idea of what to expect — The film was scripted by Superman IV: The Quest for Peace screenwriters Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal, with a rewrite by Bedtime Stories scribe Matt Lopez.

Kill me now.

MadMan
12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
What the hell? This sounds like an epically bad movie in the making.

Grouchy
12-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Wow, that sounds almost like an in-joke movie from Tropic Thunder.

number8
12-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Well... *sigh* I'm happy Baruchel is getting leads, I guess.

Ivan Drago
12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I have nothing to say.

Fezzik
12-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Wow, that sounds almost like an in-joke movie from Tropic Thunder.

Insta-rep! That's the precise thought I had as well.

Sycophant
12-05-2008, 02:10 AM
Baruchel in mouse ears or GTFO.

Watashi
03-27-2009, 07:48 PM
http://www.justpressplay.net/images/stories/sorcerer-set.jpg

I hope Nic Cage never stops making movies.

NickGlass
03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah, they've been filming this in subways all over Brooklyn. They blocked off the 7th Ave F train because of it. Curse you, Nic Cage! Jay Baruchel, you can stick around.

Spinal
03-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Why is Nic Cage at the top of everyone's friggin' list? God, that guy is such a joke now.

Watashi
03-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Why is Nic Cage at the top of everyone's friggin' list? God, that guy is such a joke now.
That's a pretty harsh thing to say. It's clear that he past his artistic edge over a while now and is now just making genre pulp films he seems to enjoy. Nothing wrong with that.

It's not like he's been choosing wacky roles this recently. Do I have to post the YouTube link again?

I don't want to live in a Hollywood without Nic Cage in it.

Derek
03-27-2009, 11:39 PM

Clearly you have not seen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1fEnhawu_k&feature=related).

Sycophant
03-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Seriously, what the fuck is this?

Ezee E
03-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Nothing beats his Vampire's Kiss though.

Russ
03-28-2009, 03:32 PM
From a recent London press conference for the film Knowing:

Cage, whose previous remake was the ill-fated Wicker Man update, added: “Bad Lieutenant, in my opinion, really was still very much in a Judea-Christian programme. I liked it. But Werner’s Bad Lieutenant goes more into the existential point of view.”

Speaking at the same press conference, the actor revealed that he no longer intended to make films that required him to kill people – and will be hanging up his gun for the forseeable future.

“I like the idea of giving a child something to look forward to, especially in these times. They might smile and say: “I’m going to go and see National Treasure. I’m going to go and see Sorcerer’s Apprentice…”

“With that I feel I’m applying myself in the best way; and also that I don’t have to kill so many people on camera. Just the metaphor of that, the symbol of that, the hieroglyphic of that, I find troubling on some level… just personally right now.

“I realise I may be digging myself into a rabbit hole by saying that, but I feel that I can affect positively more people if I go into fantasy and go into science fiction and go into intelligent horror, because it’s of the metaphor and of the imagination.”

Guess he had trouble with the hieroglyphic of Deadfall.

Wryan
03-30-2009, 06:02 PM
"...a powerful sorcerer, played by Nicolas Cage..."

MadMan
03-31-2009, 04:37 AM
http://www.justpressplay.net/images/stories/sorcerer-set.jpg

I hope Nic Cage never stops making movies.Nic Cage looks like a cracked out, hobo version of Gandalf in that picture.

Watashi
12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I give you... the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhKvNn7WLKg&feature=player_embedded).

I will see this for the Cage.

Dukefrukem
12-09-2009, 08:05 PM
I give you... the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhKvNn7WLKg&feature=player_embedded).

I will see this for the Cage.

He's in financial trouble so ... you really would be helpin him

Yxklyx
12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I've heard that Nicholas Cage is broke. He used to buy a mansion whenever he visited a new country and with the recession it looks like he lost a lot of money.

Watashi
12-09-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty sure "broke" for him is wealthy to most of us.

Lasse
12-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Holy crap, that didn't even look entertaining.

Adam
12-10-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty sure "broke" for him is wealthy to most of us.

Actually, "broke" for Nicolas Cage is "suicide-worthy financial ruin" to most of us

Wryan
12-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh god the throwaway nod to the brooms and water is hilarious. The whole thing is hilarious.

Spun Lepton
12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Film Mogul: "Harry Potter was such a massive success, we need to play off that. We need to create a new magical fantasy franchise for tweens."

Movie looks like pretty visuals with a hackneyed story. Perfect for their target audience.

megladon8
12-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Nicolas Cage just cannot pull off long hair. Even with the hat.

lovejuice
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
that doesn't look like it has anything to do with fantasia. it's sad that in these days even an "original" project needs to cloak itself as some sort of remakes.

Skitch
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
that doesn't look like it has anything to do with fantasia. it's sad that in these days even an "original" project needs to cloak itself as some sort of remakes.

Really? This movie has anything to do with that sorcerer's apprentice? I did not know that.

Dukefrukem
02-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Not sure why I watched this. I think I'm trying to make sure I watch every bad Nicolas Cage film. Had no idea this was produced by Disney. Baruchel wasn't too bad though. It's funny to see h how bad we were badmouthing Cage back in 09 and 6 years later, he hasn't pulled himself out of this rut. He plays himself, just dressed in a wig and trench coat. There's literally no difference in any character he plays for the past 10 years. Maybe Con Air he actually had to play a little bit different?. He needs to do a Mcconaughey and fix his rep.

The only scene I actually enjoyed was the Fantasia/ throw back to Disney's The Sword in the Stone scene.