PDA

View Full Version : Poetry for Middle Schoolers

rocus
11-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Anybody have any good suggestions for poems to teach to my 8th graders? I'm looking for works with a relatively simple theme that they can figure out. I always use The Road Not Taken, which is very relevant to them because of decisions they will be making (or have made) in their lives. I would like it to include a theme that would be important to them.

So what are some of your favorites that would be appropriate? All help is appreciated.

Kurosawa Fan
11-16-2007, 02:49 AM
:lol:

I was prepared to come in here and say you can't go wrong with Robert Frost, but apparently you have that covered.

I'd give "We Wear the Mask" by Paul Laurence Dunbar a go. I had a teacher pass the poem around and we read it and discussed what we thought it meant and what Dunbar was trying to say. After the discussion had dwindled a bit she revealed that it was written in the late 1800's by a black man. The poem felt completely different, and much more poignant after that. It's still one of my favorite poems.

Raiders
11-16-2007, 03:24 AM
Though some of his work might not be suitable, Poe would seem to have some worth looking into for 8th graders.

Kurosawa Fan
11-16-2007, 04:06 AM
Though some of his work might not be suitable, Poe would seem to have some worth looking into for 8th graders.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain I had read some Poe by or in 8th grade.

SpaceOddity
11-16-2007, 06:47 AM
The only poetry I studied in school was Wilfred Owen.

*shakes fist at British education system*

rocus
11-16-2007, 11:41 AM
:lol:

I was prepared to come in here and say you can't go wrong with Robert Frost, but apparently you have that covered.

I'd give "We Wear the Mask" by Paul Laurence Dunbar a go. I had a teacher pass the poem around and we read it and discussed what we thought it meant and what Dunbar was trying to say. After the discussion had dwindled a bit she revealed that it was written in the late 1800's by a black man. The poem felt completely different, and much more poignant after that. It's still one of my favorite poems.
I love Frost, so we do a good bit of him.:)

Thanks for the other suggestion, I'll definitely look into that one. I teach at at 95% white school, so it's always nice when I can bring in something to widen their horizons a little.

And Raiders, Poe is one that I use a good bit as well. Anabelle Lee is one of my favorites, but I really look forward to teaching The Raven. At first it's a good bit over their heads, but when we start breaking it down they really get into it.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Benny Profane
11-16-2007, 01:20 PM
"Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" by the Beastie Boys, I mean Longfellow.

Are any of these good?

R.L. Stephenson
Shelley
Keats
Byron
Tennyson

I have no idea if we even studied poetry in middle school English class.

Milky Joe
11-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Looking back, I kind of wish somebody had taught me William Blake or something when I was in 8th grade. Anything but Frost, really.

rocus
11-16-2007, 04:14 PM
KF, I just read the one you suggested, and it'll be great. In fact, I think I'll go about in the same way your teacher did for the impact value.

monolith94
11-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Not all Frost is appropriate for middle-school. Home Burial, for example, is a poem best left for high schoolers.