PDA

View Full Version : Oldboy remake (Spike Lee)

Dukefrukem
11-07-2008, 04:35 PM
November 7th, 2008
Author Kevin Melrose

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are in early negotiations to remake Park Chan-wook’s 2003 revenge film Oldboy, based on the manga series by Garon Tsuchiya and Nobuaki Minegishi.

Variety reports the movie will be produced by DreamWorks and distributed by Universal Pictures.

In the award-winning South Korean film, and the source manga, a man is kidnapped and held in prison for years with only a television and the voices of his jailers for company. One day he’s sedated, stuffed into a trunk and then dumped in a park. When he awakes he sets out to discover who destroyed his life so he can take revenge.

If negotiations work out, Smith would play the kidnapped man.

The original manga was serialized from 1996 to 1998 in Japan’s Weekly Manga Action. All eight volumes have been released in North America by Dark Horse.

I think I would have preferred Cage over this...

transmogrifier
11-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I would be very, very interested in seeing this if it actually happens.

Smith>>>>>>>>Cage

Derek
11-07-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm all for this assuming Will Smith actually cuts his tongue off.

D_Davis
11-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I love Oldboy.

I like Will Smith.

I'm totally down.

number8
11-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Fuck every one of you.

Grouchy
11-07-2008, 05:14 PM
FUCK EVERYONE OF YOU AND WILL SMITH AND THE HORSE HE RODE IN ON. How many great stories can that guy single-handedly shit on?

A remake is a bad idea to start with, but if it has to happen, let it at least be Nicholas Cage.

Watashi
11-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I think this is a great idea.

Kurosawa Fan
11-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Terrible. I have no interest whatsoever in either Spielberg or Smith being involved.

Sycophant
11-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I'd be more interested in Spielberg producing than directing, but if he's up for it, what the hell, I trust him.

Will Smith could either illuminate the material in a new and interesting fashion or sink it. Oh Dae-Su is a rightly embittered old bastard. To see him played with the sad-eyed nobility Will Smith usually brings would be an arresting difference. Or maybe Smith will try something really different.

Should be interesting at the very least, eh?

D_Davis
11-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Exactly. I think this is a good team for a remake because I imagine that Spielberg and Smith will offer up something vastly different from the original. I'll look at this is more like another adaptation of the original source material, rather than a simple remake of the film.

Russ
11-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I imagine that Spielberg and Smith will offer up something vastly different from the original.
I was thinking the same thing, but if he removes the incest angle, well, then you've got yourself a totally different film.

Winston*
11-07-2008, 09:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but if he removes the incest angle, well, then you've got yourself a totally different film.

There is zero chance of that being kept in.

Russ
11-07-2008, 10:29 PM
There is zero chance of that being kept in.
Right. So what's the point of a remake? Or, better yet, what would be the reason for Will Smith's character being imprisoned for that long a period of time? Remove the angle and you remove the punchline, so to speak, and pretty much the whole point of the movie. I'd at least be interested to see how they would attempt to pull that off.

number8
11-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Right. So what's the point of a remake? Or, better yet, what would be the reason for Will Smith's character being imprisoned for that long a period of time? Remove the angle and you remove the punchline, so to speak, and pretty much the whole point of the movie. I'd at least be interested to see how they would attempt to pull that off.

Because what they want to remake is the headline, not the article. Remove the whole point of the story, you'd still have a guy running around with a hammer because he was imprisoned for 15 years without a reason. That's a great image, and that's good enough for them.

megladon8
11-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Martin Lawrence should play his sidekick.

With music by Paul Oakenfold.

Cameos by Chris Tucker, Samuel L. Jackson and Jason Statham.

transmogrifier
11-08-2008, 08:15 AM
I would be very, very interested in seeing this if it actually happens.

Smith>>>>>>>>Cage

I got neg repped for this?

Sycophant
11-08-2008, 08:25 AM
I got neg repped for this?

Undone!

transmogrifier
11-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Undone!

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I dig the idea of remakes when they are done by established "names" and obviously going to be a completely different take on the material. I love Oldboy to pieces, but it ain't going anywhere, and it won't be diminished an iota by being remade. It's its own beautiful, mournful, bitter beast. I'd be fascinated to see what Spielberg takes from it, and how he sythesizes his own worldview.

Lasse
11-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Oldboy does not feel like a Spielberg-project. :|

Boner M
11-08-2008, 11:30 AM
If "Just the Two of Us" plays over the end credits, it'll be better than the original.

Dukefrukem
11-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd be more interested in Spielberg producing than directing, but if he's up for it, what the hell, I trust him.

Will Smith could either illuminate the material in a new and interesting fashion or sink it. Oh Dae-Su is a rightly embittered old bastard. To see him played with the sad-eyed nobility Will Smith usually brings would be an arresting difference. Or maybe Smith will try something really different.

Bwhahaha I love your avatar!

Boner M
11-08-2008, 11:04 PM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1103/1226045375302ii7.jpg

Watashi
11-08-2008, 11:07 PM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Freebirth/Random/OhDaeSmith.jpg

Boner M
11-08-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm gonna have nightmares.

Morris Schæffer
11-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Hahahahaha. You guys! :lol::lol:

Lasse
11-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Oh my... :lol:

Ezee E
11-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't see Spielberg following the ending either.

I'd rather see him do other projects. Lincoln, Tintin, the Chicago project all sound more interesting to me.

I have no problem with Will Smith being behind this though.

Grouchy
11-10-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd be less than fascinated by where Spielberg and Smith can take the Oldboy material.

Nowhere but down, methinks.

MadMan
11-10-2008, 01:14 AM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1103/1226045375302ii7.jpgIt was worth going through this thread just to see what is one of the funniest photoshop jobs I've viewed in some time.

Wats' photoshop is both scary and funny.

As for Oldboy, I guess I should finally get around to viewing the original before the remake comes out. See people? Remakes often spur lazy people like me to see the original so we can then go out and view the remake and compare the two. Or not. I am lazy.

transmogrifier
11-10-2008, 01:23 AM
I don't see Spielberg following the ending either.

I'd rather see him do other projects. Lincoln, Tintin, the Chicago project all sound more interesting to me.

I have no problem with Will Smith being behind this though.

An Oldboy remake would be leagues more interesting than any of those three projects. They aren't even in the same ballpark. I'm done with Speilberg and historical projects, and Tintin is just....eh.

Sycophant
11-10-2008, 01:29 AM
There's been a lot of accusation of Spielberg falling back on comfortable territory in recent years. The inherent darkness and morality of the story will be hard to shy away from. The man's no hack. Yes, he'll certainly Spielbergify it in some meaningful way (as a remake should), but that doesn't mean it will be Hook II. The more I think about this, the more I want to see it.

DavidSeven
11-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Dudes, Spielberg will definitely stay true to the original ending...

...(stop now if you haven't seen the original) he will just add on another 20 minutes where the protagonist wins, "the girl" turns out to actually be a perfect stranger, there will be an inexplicable family reunion between "Oh-Daesu" and his real wife/child, and that suicidal sister will actually have survived her fatal jump without explanation. Of course, this will happen after the hyonosis scene to lend it enough ambiguity to give intellectual snobs a justification for liking the film while giving a "happy ending" to the ignorant boobs. Don't you guys know anything?

Ezee E
11-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Dudes, Spielberg will definitely stay true to the original ending...

...(stop now if you haven't seen the original) he will just add on another 20 minutes where the protagonist wins, "the girl" turns out to actually be a perfect stranger, there will be an inexplicable family reunion between "Oh-Daesu" and his real wife/child, and that suicidal sister will actually have survived her fatal jump without explanation. Of course, this will happen after the hyonosis scene to lend it enough ambiguity to give intellectual snobs a justification for liking the film while giving a "happy ending" to the ignorant boobs. Don't you guys know anything?
Damnit, I used up my rep for today.

number8
11-10-2008, 03:40 AM
Damnit, I used up my rep for today.

I got it.

Sycophant
11-10-2008, 03:42 AM
I got it.

Me, too.

Very astute, M. Seven.

megladon8
11-10-2008, 03:55 AM
I found Munich pretty shocking and more "modern" than classic Spielberg stuff. Actually the more I watch Spielberg's later films, the more I notice how he's taken his own style and adapted it well to modern cinematic trends.

Spielberg will do the material justice if he is dedicating his time to direct it. While he isn't without faults of his own in his filmography, his last few films have been been weak due to the writing and not his direction.

Grouchy
11-10-2008, 04:15 AM
The question remains - why?

Yeah, Ok. Need money and lack of original thought and writers.

KK2.0
11-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't think Spielberg can bring anything terribly new or worthwhile to this project.

Sorry, and i love both Spielberg and the original, the whole idea is just a waste of talent.

Sycophant
11-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I think Spielberg has the power to pick his own projects now. If he wanted to do an adaptation of The Satanic Verses or a full-length, verbatim film of Goethe's Faust, he could do it.

And it's not like Oldboy has such cachet that its reputation will draw millions to the theaters.

Spielberg (and yeah, Smith, too) probably has a reason he wants to do this, if he actually moves forward with it.

Amnesiac
11-10-2008, 11:14 PM
I want some details on what Interstellar is all about.

Dead & Messed Up
11-11-2008, 12:07 AM
I'd suggest we consider Spielberg's track record for remakes:

"Kick the Can," The Twilight Zone
Always
War of the Worlds

Anyone still excited? I thought not.

Raiders
11-11-2008, 01:01 AM
I'd suggest we consider Spielberg's track record for remakes:

"Kick the Can," The Twilight Zone
Always
War of the Worlds

Anyone still excited? I thought not.

Yes. His WotW is a great, great film.

I will repeat this sentiment ad infinitum on this site. You can check if you don't believe me.

D_Davis
11-11-2008, 01:12 AM
I, too, think that WotW is awesome. It contains many breathtaking moments.

Amnesiac
11-11-2008, 01:25 AM
War of the Worlds is, indeed, awesome.

number8
11-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Yes, WotW is awesome.

For me to poop on.

transmogrifier
11-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Yes, WotW is awesome.

For me to poop on.

Sanity at last.

Actually, WotW is just okay. Kind of rote, kind of kinetically interesting, kind of groan-inducing. Spielberg has done much better. That very year, incidentally.

Dukefrukem
11-11-2008, 02:08 AM
I hate WotW... mainly because I went to a screener in Boston, and they made us unload our pockets and put our cell phones in bags so no one could take pictures or movies inside the theater....

Grouchy
11-11-2008, 02:38 AM
I hate War of the Worlds 'cause it's ridiculously bad. Specially that ending where everyone climbs out of their own arses miraculously alive.

Even the '50s version is better. And that's saying a lot. Good Wells adaptations in movies ended with James Whale and The Invisible Man.

megladon8
11-11-2008, 02:54 AM
I hate WotW... mainly because I went to a screener in Boston, and they made us unload our pockets and put our cell phones in bags so no one could take pictures or movies inside the theater....

That's a pretty stupid reason to dislike the movie.

Amnesiac
11-11-2008, 03:04 AM

At least it's a fresh criticism. :)

Hadn't heard that one before. And I've plodded through a fair share of WoTW hate-threads.

Dead & Messed Up
11-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Yes. His WotW is a great, great film.

I will repeat this sentiment ad infinitum on this site. You can check if you don't believe me.

:confused:

Even if it was the awesomest awesomeness in the history of awesome, "Kick the Can" completely negates it, and Always knocks the track record into the negative.

Qrazy
11-11-2008, 04:09 AM
I hate War of the Worlds 'cause it's ridiculously bad. Specially that ending where everyone climbs out of their own arses miraculously alive.

Even the '50s version is better. And that's saying a lot. Good Wells adaptations in movies ended with James Whale and The Invisible Man.

The Spielberg version has it's problems but I still like it... either way it's infinitely superior to the 50's version which is a horrible piece of shit.

Dukefrukem
11-11-2008, 04:20 AM

I forgot to mention that it took us 2 hours to leave the theater after the movie because they had to match the bags we checked in, with a ticket we were given before we entered. The entire experience was miserable. And the crazy Tim Robbins character was fucking stupid.

number8
11-11-2008, 04:38 AM
I forgot to mention that it took us 2 hours to leave the theater after the movie because they had to match the bags we checked in, with a ticket we were given before we entered. The entire experience was miserable.

That's standard procedure in screenings.

Ezee E
11-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Yeah, perfectly normal for a screening. Still, a bit unorganized, but not the movie's fault.

I've seen it three times now, and each time I think there's a masterpiece ruined by thirty awful minutes at the end.

Sycophant
11-11-2008, 05:37 AM
I've soured so much on WoW that I can't tell how much of it is genuine reaction anymore. I owe it a rewatch at some piont.

Sven
11-11-2008, 07:35 PM
I've soured so much on WoW that I can't tell how much of it is genuine reaction anymore. I owe it a rewatch at some piont.

You know how violently I took to it. I found a rewatch improved it by at least a star. **1/2

Sven
11-11-2008, 07:37 PM
And for the record, I think Always is one of his best. Kick the Can, however, is pretty insufferable.

KK2.0
11-11-2008, 08:24 PM
LEAVE WOTW ALOOONEE!!

before this turns into another wotw love-hate thread, i bet Spielberg will drop this or end up as a producer only.

I can't stand Will Smith, the persona, but i'm sure the actor Will Smith can pull this off.

number8
11-12-2008, 04:13 AM
I keep thinking that Spielberg's going to set it in New York and have Will Smith discover 9/11 by walking into Ground Zero and making a fuss.

KK2.0
11-12-2008, 05:26 PM
no, he'll wake up inside Ground Zero after those 15 years locked in a room, as a metaphor for the new life he'll face after the destruction of his old self.

number8
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
God, this is terrible, but I just cracked up thinking of a 10-minute Oldboy remake where the guy traps him in a room at the WTC for 15 years, but that plan ends after only 7 years.

Grouchy
11-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I keep thinking that Spielberg's going to set it in New York and have Will Smith discover 9/11 by walking into Ground Zero and making a fuss.
Wow, now that I think about it, it's OBVIOUS that any American remake would feature something along those lines.

Ezee E
11-12-2008, 05:29 PM
no, he'll wake up inside Ground Zero after those 15 years locked in a room, as a metaphor for the new life he'll face after the destruction of his old self.
Perhaps he'll have slow-mo sex with sweat flying everywhere when Obama is elected?

number8
11-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Mark Protosevich writing.

Just... kill me now.

Ezee E
11-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Mark Protosevich writing.

Just... kill me now.
Looks him up.

Yeah, this will be bad.

Saya
11-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Will Smith Says Oldboy Won’t be Adaptation of Chan-wook Park’s Film (http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/exclusive-will-smith-talks-oldboy.php)

We’re looking at that right now. Not the film though, it’s the original source material. There’s the original comics of ‘Oldboy’ that they made the first film from. And that’s what we’re working from, not an adaptation of the film…,” said Smith.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2v8pteo.jpg

Ezee E
11-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Anyone... main differences here?

Sycophant
11-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Anyone... main differences here?

Some dude at Chud (http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/17126/1/HERE039S-HOW-SMITH-amp-SPIELBERG-JUSTIFY-SOFTENING-OLDBOY/Page1.html) puts it this way:

When he gets out he seeks revenge, and has to look into his own past to figure out who he wronged and why they would want to punish him. But the manga and the movie diverge mightily from there. There's no live squid eating. There's no tooth torture. And there's no incest.

And in the rest of the article, he acts like a total outraged douche about it.

number8
11-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I read the manga. Tooootally different. It fits Will Smith more.

Dukefrukem
11-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Some dude at Chud (http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/17126/1/HERE039S-HOW-SMITH-amp-SPIELBERG-JUSTIFY-SOFTENING-OLDBOY/Page1.html) puts it this way:

When he gets out he seeks revenge, and has to look into his own past to figure out who he wronged and why they would want to punish him. But the manga and the movie diverge mightily from there. There's no live squid eating. There's no tooth torture. And there's no incest.

And in the rest of the article, he acts like a total outraged douche about it.

Those three parts in that spoiler are the best parts of the movie.

Sycophant
11-22-2008, 01:03 AM
They're going back to the source text; that's fine. This remains a project in which I have intense interest.

DavidSeven
11-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Doesn't this whole thing sound like one of those dream hypotheticals you would use to make someone else look stupid?

"Your idea makes no sense whatsoever. It'd be like if Steven Speilberg and Will Smith teamed up to remake Oldboy. Idiot."

Russ
11-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Just read where Gore Verbinski is remaking Bong Joon-ho's The Host.

Now that's the film Spielberg should be doing.

number8
11-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Just read where Gore Verbinski is remaking Bong Joon-ho's The Host.

Now that's the film Spielberg should be doing.

Verbinsky's just producing, FYI. A first time director is remaking it.

Dukefrukem
06-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Apparently there's a legal battle over the remake rights?

Sycophant
06-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Verbinsky's just producing, FYI. A first time director is remaking it.

I still don't see why The Host needs to be remade, instead of just kind of ripped off. The beauty is in the details of that film, and a large part of the details are so specifically Korean. The basic plot is astoundingly simple.

Sycophant
06-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Apparently there's a legal battle over the remake rights?

And here's an article that says so (http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSTRE55P17220090626).

TOKYO/SEOUL (Hollywood Reporter) - Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are moving forward with plans for a remake of "Old Boy" despite a complex, behind-the-scenes rights wrangle involving the Japanese publishers of the original manga and the Korean producers of Park Chan-Wook's 2003 cult hit.

Futabasha, publisher of the manga by Nobuaki Minegishi and Garon Tsuchiya, has filed a case against Show East in Seoul, alleging the Korean company never had the right to negotiate a remake.

The issue is further complicated by the fact that Show East has shut down and its CEO, Kim Dong-Ju, has disappeared. Big Egg, a co-producer of the ultra-violent revenge flick, has also closed up shop, and its former staffers are unreachable.
Sounds like a weird story, what with company executives disappearing and all. One that will still result in a Spielberg remake, though, it would seem.

number8
06-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Oh, it's going to be complicated for a while, I think, because the original manga is quite different from the movie, so it's not like they can just get the adaptation rights and remake the movie.

lovejuice
06-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Those three parts in that spoiler are the best parts of the movie.
agree. especially the last bit. without that, even the original movie is not that interesting.

Acapelli
06-28-2009, 05:34 AM
i thought the consensus was the hammer fight scene was the best part of the movie. at least in my eyes it was

trotchky
06-30-2009, 05:22 AM
God, this is terrible, but I just cracked up thinking of a 10-minute Oldboy remake where the guy traps him in a room at the WTC for 15 years, but that plan ends after only 7 years.

I think it would be funnier if he was dumped on the roof and opened the briefcase just as a plane was hitting the North Tower.

number8
11-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Officially dead as doornail. Smith and Spielberg both pulled out.

Sycophant
11-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Damn.

Kurosawa Fan
11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
:pritch:

Dead & Messed Up
11-10-2009, 09:37 PM

So it goes.

Spun Lepton
11-10-2009, 09:42 PM

:frustrated:

:D

Dukefrukem
11-10-2009, 10:30 PM
can't say im upset

Grouchy
11-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm relieved more than anything.

Ezee E
11-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Instead we'll get something like Idris Elba directed by F. Gary Gray now.

Sycophant
11-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Is anyone else (in the world) genuinely bummed about this?

Raiders
11-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Is anyone else (in the world) genuinely bummed about this?

Yes, as someone on the fence about the original, I was actually looking forward to Spielberg's take, especially since I feel he could have effectively reigned in Will Smith's typical persona.

Ezee E
11-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Yes, as someone on the fence about the original, I was actually looking forward to Spielberg's take, especially since I feel he could have effectively reigned in Will Smith's typical persona.
Agreed. And like I said, this version would probably be better than whichever version ends up getting made.

Morris Schæffer
11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Instead we'll get something like Idris Elba directed by F. Gary Gray now.

That's at least 50% awesome. At least!

Dukefrukem
07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Spike Lee in talks to direct this bitch!

Ezee E
07-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Spike Lee in talks to direct this bitch!
Denzel to star?

No resources, just speculating with good odds.

I'd say that'd be a good choice. Although we kind of saw that in Man on Fire already.

Ezee E
07-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Spike Lee now confirmed. Whoo hoo. I think he's a terrific choice. He's not one to shy away from anything.

Think he'll get anyone besides Denzel to play?

Henry Gale
07-12-2011, 03:29 AM

I saw like fifteen minutes of Inside Man a couple of months ago, and even though seeing that should put Washington in my mind, I could fully see Lee going with other people from that movie just as easily (though obviously, he's worked with Denzel way more). Maybe Clive Owen and Willem Dafoe in the main two roles here?

Star power politics would assume Owen as the lead, but I'd love to see Dafoe in the Oh Dae-Su role with Owen as the younger, less obviously unstable antagonist, the same way it was in the original film. Of course this is all based on nothing, but at least having someone like Lee now on as director could lead to that sort of casting.

Winston*
07-12-2011, 03:31 AM
John Turturro!

Grouchy
07-12-2011, 03:50 AM
John Turturro!
Hahah awesome.

Boner M
07-12-2011, 04:34 AM
OK this is my most anticipated film ever now.

EyesWideOpen
07-12-2011, 04:49 AM
My first thought was Clive Owen but I think he's a little too handsome for the role. Dafoe or Turturro would be great choices.

Grouchy
07-12-2011, 05:49 AM
You know, as awesome as Spike Lee making a pure genre film sounds, I'd still be happier if they left Oldboy alone.

I simply don't negotiate that shit.

Raiders
07-12-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't know, Denzel is kinda perfect for it. I don't really want Lee to go "outside the box" with this one. Go with what is expected.

number8
07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Man, I don't even like Spike Lee movies.

EyesWideOpen
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Man, I don't even like Spike Lee movies.

Racist.

Ezee E
07-12-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't know, Denzel is kinda perfect for it. I don't really want Lee to go "outside the box" with this one. Go with what is expected.
As for the other role... Anthony Mackie?

I'd love for Mackie to finally get his star role and be the main guy, but he'd be too young I think.

number8
07-12-2011, 02:15 PM
You guys are talking about it as if they're not changing the story at all.

number8
07-12-2011, 02:23 PM
For one thing, they said they're adapting the original Japanese manga, not PCW's film.

I've read the manga. Want to know why they decided to "go back to the source material" with it? Because it's considerably less controversial and more Hollywood ready.

For one thing, the Oh Daesu character is a young, handsome, buff, action hero-ish 30-year-old in it. He was kidnapped in his early 20's and imprisoned for 10 years.

How does that work with the daughter thing? It doesn't. That's Park Chan-wook's invention. The original manga has neither of the two incest stories.

DavidSeven
07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
A Denzel Washington version of Oldboy without the provocative story elements added by Park Chanwook? They already made this movie. It was called Man on Fire.

This doesn't sound too interesting, regardless of who they get in the lead. Seems like Spike is set up to make a pretty straight-forward genre flick, which is totally shrug-worthy on first impression.

Ezee E
07-12-2011, 04:51 PM
A Denzel Washington version of Oldboy without the provocative story elements added by Park Chanwook? They already made this movie. It was called Man on Fire.

Ha, I mentioned that above.

Hopefully they'll at least have him eat a live octopus...

Morris Schæffer
07-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Josh Brolin to lead?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50349

D_Davis
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
I thought Inside Man was a pretty straightforward genre film, and I loved that.

Grouchy
07-13-2011, 01:16 AM
I thought Inside Man was a pretty straightforward genre film, and I loved that.
It wasn't a remake.

Skitch
07-17-2011, 12:56 PM
What a weird choice of director.

Sven
07-17-2011, 04:13 PM

I'd see it if it was Michael Rapaport.

D_Davis
07-18-2011, 01:13 AM
It wasn't a remake.

I know.

Boner M
07-18-2011, 01:45 AM
I'd see it if it was Michael Rapaport.
This would be awesome.

Dukefrukem
08-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Christian Bale to lead?

Sycophant
08-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Of all the non-Park Oldboys we've been told might be coming, this is the one I have the most hope for.

Ezee E
08-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Christian Bale to lead?
I've heard of him as the villain too.

megladon8
08-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Can't say I'm particularly interested in this remake regardless of who they cast.

transmogrifier
08-26-2011, 07:09 AM
I am. Think it'll be interesting and way different to the 2003 version.

EyesWideOpen
08-30-2011, 03:27 AM
Josh Brolin officially the lead.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=31901

Dukefrukem
08-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Like.

Dukefrukem
11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Colin Firth as the villain in Spike Lee's Oldboy remake?? LOVE!

Ezee E
11-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Thought he was the protagonist.

I like it even more.

EyesWideOpen
11-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Thought he was the protagonist.

I like it even more.

Josh Brolin was already announced as the protagonist

Ezee E
11-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Whoops. I just read it as brolin. Firth as a bad guy should be neat.

Morris Schæffer
11-13-2011, 07:25 AM

That sounds wonderful!

Dukefrukem
02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Elizabeth Olsen is possibly joining Josh Brolin
(http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/elizabeth-olsen-josh-brolin-old-boy-295813)

Olsen is set to play a Caseworker that is helping Brolin try to discover why he was kidnapped and locked away for like 15 years

Dukefrukem
04-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Sharlto Copley to play the bad dude?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052569

number8
05-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Sometimes I forget this is actually happening.

Oldboy? Literally you say Oldboy and my stomach just goes Grrrrrr [mimics twisting and turning]. Oldboy will be an experience, man. It wont be like Men In Black, I’ll tell you that much. I’m really happy about it. We’ve gotten amazing actors: Liz Olsen, who I think is fantastic and we also got Sharto Copley from District 9 who I think is going to be unbelievable. He just wrote me an e-mail and was like, ‘Look, I’ve got to get this out of the way. Dude, Goonies is my favorite film of all time,’ which I thought was really sweet. And now I’m going to make 20 years of your life miserable.

I love Oldboy and I’m close with Chan-wook Park and I emailed him a couple months ago, just asking for his blessing to do this movie becuase if he had said ‘No,’ I wouldnt have done it. But I really respect his movie and we’ll make a little different movie and this whole idea of a more Hollywood version of it? Whatever. We’re just going to make a different version but have respect to the initial story and premise. I’m looking forward to it, man. I’m talking about it nervously right now because it makes me nervous.

Yes, by the way. Yes. And it’s a hammer and knife and all that stuff. And then will we keep the octopus, will we keep the other stuff? There’s some changes but I think it’s really good. It still makes me throw down the script half way through. Whoa.

Rowland
05-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Let's begin speculation now: How will Spike incorporate his floaty-person shot?

dreamdead
05-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Since we all know the twist, though, does this film have any real interest for us (as opposed to filmgoers uninterested in foreign films and thus unknowledgeable of the twist)? Won't this play out like a slightly more challenging Gus van Sant Psycho? There should be a few changes since there's obviously cultural distinctions, but what do people expect from Lee and the screenplay here?

Rowland's notation of the floaty-person shot is one thing, but what else...?

number8
05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Let's begin speculation now: How will Spike incorporate his floaty-person shot?

Hallway fight.

Ezee E
05-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Since we all know the twist, though, does this film have any real interest for us (as opposed to filmgoers uninterested in foreign films and thus unknowledgeable of the twist)? Won't this play out like a slightly more challenging Gus van Sant Psycho? There should be a few changes since there's obviously cultural distinctions, but what do people expect from Lee and the screenplay here?

Spike Lee direction.

Dukefrukem
09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Nate Parker in talks for 'Oldboy as the Doctor.

Samuel L. Jackson is also to play a small role? (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118058626.html?cmpid=RSS%7C News%7CFilmNews)

number8
04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Release date Oct 11, 2013.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.c om/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=dbaecaede1&view=att&th=13e0f8181d6598cb&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9zs43zvc6o8bzWeXc qIU-G&sadet=1366060484433&sads=kUFJGaToUi_1O0Sdf_zFgqVvi Gw

number8
06-08-2013, 08:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vwYo0BZ.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/UBkC5o7.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/tzpOg7D.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/yfScLI6.jpg

Qrazy
06-08-2013, 09:24 PM
This is going to suck.

Irish
06-08-2013, 10:55 PM
This is going to suck.

I have two tabs open and was slightly disappointed this post didn't appear in the "Man of Steel" thread.

I think this will be awkward in the way it usually is when Spike Lee works from material that didn't originate with him.

Ezee E
06-09-2013, 03:42 AM
Nah. This is perfect ground for Spike Lee.

D_Davis
06-09-2013, 04:22 AM
I have a feeling this movie is going to kick ass. I bet I like it even more than the original.

Can't wait to see what Spike Lee does with this adaptation.

D_Davis
06-09-2013, 04:28 AM

The twist in the film was created by Park. This new version is adapted from the original comic, which doesn't contain any of that.

DavidSeven
06-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Put me squarely in the "there's absolutely no reason to believe this will be any good" camp.

Grouchy
06-09-2013, 07:38 PM
I hate that this is happening.

megladon8
06-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Put me squarely in the "there's absolutely no reason to believe this will be any good" camp.

I'm not quite there - I think Lee has some good directing chops when he can shut the hell up about race. I also think Brolin is a very good actor and frequently the best part of the projects he involves himself in (though I'm not sure whether that speaks more to his talents or his choices).

But Oldboy is an all-time top 10 favorite for me, so a remake is not of much interest to me.

transmogrifier
06-09-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm still looking forward to it. I think it'll be fascinating to see how the cultural differences in Korea and America reflect the approaches of the two movies. I have no idea why people get so worked up about remakes on general principle. Sure, be pissed off if it ultimately sucks, but you'd do that with any regular movie anyway.

number8
06-10-2013, 02:46 PM
I think it'll be fascinating to see how the cultural differences in Korea and America reflect the approaches of the two movies.

The differences is what I'm optimistic about the most. The original's premise/twist is so intrinsically culturally asian that it would be awkward to replicate that in an American context without seeming awkward, unless they change it somehow.

If that poster is to be believed, I already find it interesting that the Korean version's adventure starts on a condensed, urban rooftop, while the American one starts in a vast, empty field in the countryside. Seems symbolically appropriate.

New Orleans is a fascinating city to set it in, too, considering how much it has changed in 20 years.

number8
06-10-2013, 02:52 PM
By the way, I find the Americanized Oh Daesu name funny: Joe Doucett.

Ezee E
06-10-2013, 09:35 PM
I wonder if he's released from the prison by Hurricane Katrina.

transmogrifier
06-10-2013, 09:43 PM
I wonder if he's released from the prison by Hurricane Katrina.

That would work against the entire plot as presented in the original. But who knows?

Ezee E
06-10-2013, 09:44 PM
That would work against the entire plot as presented in the original. But who knows?

True. But a few lines here and there, and it works.

number8
06-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I think it's more interesting if he gets out and everything he knew were gone in the storm years ago. His office, his favorite hangouts, his wife, his daughter, their house, all gone.

Ezee E
06-10-2013, 09:57 PM
I think it's more interesting if he gets out and everything he knew were gone in the storm years ago. His office, his favorite hangouts, his wife, his daughter, their house, all gone.

That would make more sense.

megladon8
06-11-2013, 01:07 AM
And don't forget all the poor black people.

Gone.

Ezee E
06-11-2013, 01:21 AM
And don't forget all the poor black people.

Gone.

Huh?

number8
06-11-2013, 01:26 AM
meg doesn't seem to like Spike Lee's constant highlighting of America's disenfranchisement of poor black people.

megladon8
06-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Huh?

Just raggin' on Spike Lee.

8's idea about a post-Katrina New Orleans sounds cool, but with Lee in the chair I can't help anticipating "no one cares about the poor black folk!"

D_Davis
06-11-2013, 02:04 AM
8's idea about a post-Katrina New Orleans sounds cool, but with Lee in the chair I can't help anticipating "no one cares about the poor black folk!"

But that's not Spike Lee's thing at all.

Of course I've only seen probably 6 of his movies, but I can't recall a single one in which there is anything even close to something like that.

Ezee E
06-11-2013, 06:21 AM
So in that case, they aren't gone. I don't get it.

Grouchy
06-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Ragging on Spike Lee for making films about race and racism is like ragging on Ford for making Westerns or on Scorsese for making movies about Italian-Americans. It's clearly what he wants to talk about.

Besides, I don't think I've ever seen a Lee film in which the message is "none cares about the poor black folk". More like the exact opposite.

Sycophant
06-11-2013, 03:12 PM
We have to admit, mainstream American cinema is pretty oversaturated with stories about disenfranchised black people in the wake of Katrina.

Sycophant
06-11-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't know when I last mentioned that I'm excited about this (though it's probably on the previous page), but I'm genuinely excited about this movie happening.

Lazlo
06-11-2013, 03:27 PM
We have to admit, mainstream American cinema is pretty oversaturated with stories about disenfranchised black people in the wake of Katrina.

I'd disagree. Sure there was a fair amount of documentaries on the subject and Treme has gone 3.5 seasons, but I'd hardly call either of them mainstream. The only narrative feature about the storm I can think of is Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans and that certainly wasn't mainstream and it wasn't about black people.

So where's the oversaturation? If I'm overlooking something, let me know. I'd agree the story has been told a lot and I've seen many of them, but that's because for whatever reason I find it to be a very compelling story. I welcome it being the lens through which Lee approaches this "joint".

Sycophant
06-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Oops, sorry. That was intended as massive sarcasm.

Grouchy
06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Specially since Lee's films are not exclusively about prejudice against blacks. He's not a subtle filmmaker and he can be annoying because he's preachy - like that opening scene in Miracle of St. Anna with the black dude watching Red River and going "You're not my hero, pilgrim", I found that kind of funny, though. He's talking at John Wayne on his TV screen like a fucking lunatic.

But Do the Right Thing attacks all kinds of racial prejudice. Son of Sam, 25th Hour and Inside Man are only some of his movies that are NOT about racism.

He has some terrible movies, sure. I re-watched Jungle Fever recently and, Sam L. Jackson aside, it's really a mess.

Sycophant
06-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Like, I hope that with Spike Lee in charge we end up with a smart, effective, and entertaining thriller (if thriller is the right word) that includes a layer of race and/or class commentary that is rare in this kind of production. I feel like Lee has done that before, allowing Inside Man to be a richer text for his intelligent approach to lived experience with race and class intersections.

megladon8
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Like, I hope that with Spike Lee in charge we end up with a smart, effective, and entertaining thriller (if thriller is the right word) that includes a layer of race and/or class commentary that is rare in this kind of production. I feel like Lee has done that before, allowing Inside Man to be a richer text for his intelligent approach to lived experience with race and class intersections.

I agree with everything you said here.

I'm anxious for a trailer.

Dukefrukem
06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
But that's not Spike Lee's thing at all.

Of course I've only seen probably 6 of his movies, but I can't recall a single one in which there is anything even close to something like that.

In fact, it's quite the opposite. Give the black man intellectual dialog and give the white man garbage.

megladon8
06-11-2013, 08:23 PM
In fact, it's quite the opposite. Give the black man intellectual dialog and give the white man garbage.

Actually that's more in line with what I said...

But whatever. It was an admittedly stupid joke.

number8
07-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Here's the official theatrical poster.

http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs187/1108127432401/img/190.jpg

number8
07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Trailer to drop on wednesday, apparently.

Lazlo
07-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Pretty hideous poster. Interestingly it says it's a Spike Lee "film", not "joint". Kinda sad. I liked that affectation. Like how it's always a Martin Scorsese "picture".

megladon8
07-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Oldboy, starring Jim Carrey coming out of a box!

Henry Gale
07-09-2013, 12:22 AM
All I see is..

http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHij9ZNZKMW5mo_1_m.jpg

..with slightly more hammer fights!

Winston*
07-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Son of Sam, 25th Hour and Inside Man are only some of his movies that are NOT about racism.

Can't remember Son of Sam, but the latter two definitely touch on racism.

Skitch
07-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Hmm, interesting poster.

Gamblor
07-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Trailer: http://www.film.com/movies/spike-lee-oldboy-remake-trailer

number8
07-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Shit. That's a lot more generic and similar to the original than I would have hoped.

That seriously looks like the same movie but with Americans.

Henry Gale
07-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah, it just made me want to watch the original right away and take it in as much as possible before this likely takes prominence for doing its best impression of it.

One major thing though, by showing the daughter on the TV and Elizabeth Olsen most definitely not being her, are they going to make the twist that Copley's villain is in a relationship with her? They threw a lot of images at me in the last bit of the trailer, but that was my impression.

Watashi
07-10-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm pretty sure the daughter on the TV is just misdirection and Elizabeth Olsen is really the daughter

number8
07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
The original also had a fake daughter, although not dangled as a hostage like that.

Kurosawa Fan
07-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Yeah, all that trailer did was make me double check that Chan-Wook Park's Oldboy was still streaming on Netflix. Pretty sure I'm going to watch it tonight after the kids go to bed.

Grouchy
07-10-2013, 09:37 PM
So...

The incest is completely gone, right?

Grouchy
07-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Hadn't read any of the previous posts. Watashi is right, it's probably misdirection.

Dukefrukem
07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Youtube is better. But still, is this a shot for shot remake?? (good call on the 9/11 footage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLcnrnEqyI

number8
07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
What do you mean by good call?

Dukefrukem
07-10-2013, 10:20 PM
I believe it was you that was the first to post in this thread that the 9/11 event would be mentioned during the imprisonment.

dreamdead
07-10-2013, 10:27 PM
I believe it was you that was the first to post in this thread that the 9/11 event would be mentioned during the imprisonment.

But that same basic shot's also in Park's version.

I do like the use of Katrina, though I doubt it'll be woven through any more than we saw it here.

Dukefrukem
07-10-2013, 10:30 PM
But that same basic shot's also in Park's version.

I do like the use of Katrina, though I doubt it'll be woven through any more than we saw it here.

I didn't remember that. Maybe I'm misremembering the original post.

Dukefrukem
07-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Went to watch Oldboy on Netflix tonight and it's dubbed. :|

Kurosawa Fan
07-11-2013, 01:36 AM
Went to watch Oldboy on Netflix tonight and it's dubbed. :|

Well, there goes my night's plan.

EDIT: HULU PLUS TO THE RESCUE!!

EyesWideOpen
07-11-2013, 01:42 AM
Everyone should own Oldboy already. Netflix and Hulu Plus shouldn't even carry it.

Skitch
07-11-2013, 02:13 AM
Yeah I was planning on rewatching too, the Netflix dubbing just means I have to dig out the dvd :)

Dukefrukem
07-11-2013, 02:33 AM
Everyone should own Oldboy already. Netflix and Hulu Plus shouldn't even carry it.

I do own it. I'm at my beach house.

Derek
07-11-2013, 02:44 AM

What an odd thing to say.

Irish
07-11-2013, 02:52 AM
I do own it. I'm at my beach house.

I'm at my beach house.

my beach house.

beach house.

Who's up for murdering Duke, talented Mr Ripley style, and assuming his identity?

Dukefrukem
07-11-2013, 03:30 AM
Who's up for murdering Duke, talented Mr Ripley style, and assuming his identity?

Now you can understand why I posted that video on twitter of me driving (speeding) to the beach this past Sunday. This is my recharge week. (the week after the 4th). This is where I want to retire.

transmogrifier
07-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Where is Lee in that trailer? Why didn't they just get, I don't know, Ron Howard or Rob Marshall to make it?

Still looking forward to it, hoping that they are merely keeping all the Spikey stuff hidden from view.

DavidSeven
07-12-2013, 05:11 AM
Looks like a near shot-for-shot, tone-for-tone, color-by-color remake of the original. I know it's unfair to judge from trailers, but it sure looks like Lee got paid to plagiarize. I didn't expect the re-imagining to be good, but I didn't expect it to be lazy either.

Bosco B Thug
07-13-2013, 04:33 AM
So I just rewatched Park's Oldboy. This movie will live or die (I'm implying "die") by its less interesting set design. Also by a much more straightforward and all-dots-connected script (Ducett's friend to Olsen: "I haven't seen this guy in twenty years!"; Olsen: "I can help you do this this and this! I'm well-adjusted and following you for good reasons!").

Ezee E
07-14-2013, 01:51 AM
I'd have warned you all about the dubbed version. I think I attempt it annually in hopes that it gets updated, but alas, no.

I'll still see this in hopes of seeing Brolin eat a live octopus.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Pushed back to Wed. Nov 27 instead of Oct 25

Milky Joe
07-30-2013, 10:10 PM
I'd have warned you all about the dubbed version. I think I attempt it annually in hopes that it gets updated, but alas, no.

yeah right. my guess is that he drinks a dozen raw eggs.

number8
10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
This is actually kinda cool: http://20yearsofoldboy.tumblr.com/

Ivan Drago
10-09-2013, 07:42 PM

The non-dubbed version of the original is actually, and FINALLY. . .on Netflix Instant Watch.

Ezee E
10-09-2013, 08:08 PM
The non-dubbed version of the original is actually, and FINALLY. . .on Netflix Instant Watch.

Lovely! I'll be sure to watch again.

number8
10-17-2013, 10:13 PM
So I watched about 10 minutes from the remake at NYCC, and it's definitely violent. I bet it's going to end up having 20x more blood than the original. At one point Brolin bonks a thug's face with the hammer and his face just explodes with blood like a balloon popping. So silly. There's a lot of stuff that's just implied or off screen in the original that we see in full in the remake, like a graphic, gory shot of the receptionist getting a hammer claw to the head, as opposed to the original's mere suggestion of the act with the dotted line.

D_Davis
10-17-2013, 10:21 PM
EDIT - I should rephrase:

They probably picked the most violent 10 minutes of footage to appeal to what they thought the NYCC crowd would respond to.

I never really understood the point of watching 10-15 minutes of a movie at a trade event. Just seems completely pointless.

I'm still super looking forward to this.

number8
10-17-2013, 10:50 PM
I highly doubt that was the most violent part. There's still the hallway fight scene, the confrontation at the end, etc. Even without the footage, though, the panelists kept talking about how violently sick and bloody it is. So it's how they chose to make it appealing. We'll see.

It just gives off the vibe that it wants to prove the people who think they're going to Hollywood it up wrong by going the opposite and really make it hard R. I mean, they changed the teeth torture scene to Brolin slowly cutting chunks of flesh off of Sam Jackson's neck with a box cutter along a dotted line, with Jackson screaming all kinds of profanity, and then Brolin goes, "Shut the fuck up. I'm not gonna stop until I can pull your fucking head off with my bare hands."

D_Davis
10-17-2013, 10:53 PM
OK - that sounds too violent for me. :)

Seriously.

Ezee E
10-17-2013, 11:22 PM
So I watched about 10 minutes from the remake at NYCC, and it's definitely violent. I bet it's going to end up having 20x more blood than the original. At one point Brolin bonks a thug's face with the hammer and his face just explodes with blood like a balloon popping. So silly. There's a lot of stuff that's just implied or off screen in the original that we see in full in the remake, like a graphic, gory shot of the receptionist getting a hammer claw to the head, as opposed to the original's mere suggestion of the act with the dotted line.

The preview makes it look more inspired from Saw then the original.

Grouchy
10-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Well then wish my man Spike would have done his own ultra-violence movie, instead of shamelessly ripping off Oldboy.

Skitch
10-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Well then wish my man Spike would have done his own ultra-violence movie, instead of shamelessly ripping off Oldboy.

That would've rocked. Any chance of this not getting an NC-17 and therefore cut?