PDA

View Full Version : Steve Carr (Daddy Day Care) remaking Sherman's March

Watashi
11-01-2008, 04:15 AM
Steve Carr, the director behind broad comedy hits "Daddy Day Care" and "Next Friday," is taking an offbeat turn by picking up the rights to "Sherman's March," Ross McElwee's 1986 documentary that won one of Sundance Film Festival's earliest grand jury prizes.

"March," which Carr would direct as a fictional feature, will serve as the inaugural project for Rumpus Entertainment, the shingle recently formed by Carr and producing partner Jason Taragon.

McElwee received a grant to make a documentary about the effects of Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman's march through the South during the Civil War, but he got dumped just before filming. He shifted focus on the film, instead telling a personal story about the women in McElwee's life.

The documentary was selected for preservation in the Library of Congress' National Film Registry for being "culturally significant."

Carr first saw the doc on PBS in the 1980s while living in Brooklyn, and it stuck with him. When he was shooting his latest comedy, Happy Madison/Columbia's Kevin James-starrer "Paul Blart: Mall Cop," Taragon informed him that McElwee was now a professor teaching film at nearby Harvard. Carr called him and invited him to the set.

"It took four or five meetings for me to convince him that I wasn't some fast-talking Hollywood guy and to let me get the feature film rights," Carr said.

Carr and Taragon intend to turn "March" into a smaller, quirky comedy, keeping the original's tone but producing something that will feel akin to "Sideways" or "Little Miss Sunshine."

The project is out to writers.

"For me, this is an opportunity to explore the other nature that I have in terms of filmmaking," Carr said. "I love making big studio movies and doing broad comedy where people get hit in the crotch, but this is another side of me. It's more cerebral and introspective."

Bizarro!

Spinal
11-01-2008, 04:23 AM
My brain is too feeble to make sense of this.

Kurosawa Fan
11-01-2008, 02:58 PM
In the spirit of Sideways and Little Miss Sunshine? Where do I sign up!!

Raiders
11-01-2008, 03:08 PM
He so wants to express that other side of his interests that he has gotten the rights to remake a documentary. That's true self-expression right there.

Kurosawa Fan
11-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Here's the trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/paulblartmallcop/) for Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

I don't know. I think he's ready.

Fezzik
11-01-2008, 10:02 PM
He so wants to express that other side of his interests that he has gotten the rights to remake a documentary. That's true self-expression right there.

That's the first thought that came to mind. He's remaking a documentary? WTF? As a fictional piece? Someone please stop this madness before it consumes us all.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
11-02-2008, 03:37 PM
In the spirit of Sideways and Little Miss Sunshine? Where do I sign up!!

My bet is it'll end up like Sweet Home Alabama.

Grouchy
11-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, Herzog remade his own documentary as a fiction film.

Still, I know.

Boner M
11-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I hope they downplay all that boring neurotic relationship stuff and focus on the lead's funny voice. LOL, quirky!