PDA

View Full Version : Sam Mendes' "Preacher"

megladon8
10-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Sam Mendes to Direct "Preacher" Film
Source:The Hollywood Reporter
October 29, 2008

Columbia Pictures has picked up the film rights to Preacher, the popular 1990s Vertigo series, for an adaptation to be directed by Sam Mendes (upcoming Revolutionary Road).

The Hollywood Reporter says Neal Moritz and his Original Films are producing with Kickstart Productions' Jason Netter.

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher," which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon.

Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The project was previously set up as a one-hour series at HBO but was put into turnaround. Mark Steven Johnson wrote a pilot which Howard Deutch was attached to direct.

A previous movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million.

I really hope they don't use any Mark Steven Johnson material.

He and David Goyer just cannot write, at all.

Ezee E
10-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Mark Steven Johnson's got nothing on Sam Mendes.

KK2.0
10-30-2008, 07:48 PM
HBO series would be better i guess, Preacher has far too much material for a movie and HBO would maintain all the adult content. i didn't like Mendes' Road To Perdition much as well.

EvilShoe
10-31-2008, 09:27 AM
HBO series would be better i guess, Preacher has far too much material for a movie and HBO would maintain all the adult content. i didn't like Mendes' Road To Perdition much as well.
In theory an HBO series would be ideal, but the one we almost got involved the creative minds of Mark Steven Johnson and Howard Deutch.
This should be better.

megladon8
02-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Well, this is now DJ Caruso's Preacher.

Raiders
02-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Well, this is now DJ Caruso's Preacher.

I'm not much of a Mendes fan, but UGH. Caruso is one of the leading hacks in Hollywood.

megladon8
02-22-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm not much of a Mendes fan, but UGH. Caruso is one of the leading hacks in Hollywood.

Yeah, Mendes at least makes films with some interesting themes and has created some truly stunning images.

But damn...DJ Caruso would be a step down from Brett Ratner.

Skitch
02-23-2011, 01:02 AM
But damn...DJ Caruso would be a step down from Brett Ratner.
Whoa whoa whoa...I recognize Caruso's place in the grand scheme of things, but that's going too far.

megladon8
02-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Whoa whoa whoa...I recognize Caruso's place in the grand scheme of things, but that's going too far.

Hmmm...no, he's pretty awful.

Skitch
02-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Hmmm...no, he's pretty awful.

Just sayin' Ratner is worse. That's all.

EyesWideOpen
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd say their both pretty much equal. I've seen only one film I've liked from either of them (The Salton Sea & and X3: The Last Stand).

number8
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
This motherfucker isn't going to be content until he gives fans of every Vertigo series a heart attack by attaching himself to them.

Next year: DJ Caruso's Sandman!