PDA

View Full Version : Hellraiser remake a go (finally)

megladon8
10-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Being a big fan of Hellraiser and a few of its sequels, I've been waiting on news of the remake. It was announced sometime last year, and was supposed to be out this Halloween. Then it was pushed back to January 2009, then February 2009, so on and so forth.

It seemed for a while like it was never going to happen.

But, low and behold, a director has just been officially signed on. French director Pascal Laugier will helm the franchise reboot.

Full article here. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i9a67ade749ea6ee9940baa543cf 8b2d8)

Perhaps it's hoping for too much, but I'd love a more accurate version of the book. As it stands, the original film was pretty dead-on, but there were still some major details that were left out (or completely changed). One of the main ones being Pinhead himself who, in the book, was a little girl.

MacGuffin
10-30-2008, 01:30 AM
I can't wait to see Martyrs.

Ivan Drago
10-30-2008, 03:04 AM
I repeat my statement in the Drag Me To Hell thread:

As awesome as this sounds, horror films nowadays find some magical way to suck. This will be no different.

MacGuffin
10-30-2008, 03:15 AM

Do you even know who Pascal Laugier is or the sheer amount of praise his newest movie has gotten by true horror movie buffs? No offense. Just asking, since your statement seems to be pretty uninformed.

Dead & Messed Up
10-30-2008, 03:15 AM

I'd agree in the case of Hollywood horror, given the recent glut of remakes, but there are still some fascinating, eerie horrors coming from the sidelines. Hell, that's where auteurs like Brad Anderson, Neil Marshall, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, and Larry Fessenden thrive.

megladon8
10-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Do you even know who Pascal Laugier is or the sheer amount of praise his newest movie has gotten by true horror movie buffs? No offense. Just asking, since your statement seems to be pretty uninformed.

A lot of foreign directors come to America and suck just as much as Hollywood directors, because the stuff they're given to work with is crap.

MacGuffin
10-30-2008, 01:28 PM
A lot of foreign directors come to America and suck just as much as Hollywood directors, because the stuff they're given to work with is crap.

Perhaps, but I'm saying let's give this a chance and was trying to inform the dude of the praise Laguier has gotten.

megladon8
10-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Perhaps, but I'm saying let's give this a chance and was trying to inform the dude of the praise Laguier has gotten.

Yeah, I want to be optimistic about it, but horror remakes don't exactly have a great track record.

The book (and even the original film, to a lesser extent) had a lot to say about S&M culture, and our primal sexual desires being interconnected with our bloodlust.

Sadly, I imagine this will end up another lowest-common-denominator teen horror flick.

MacGuffin
10-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I want to be optimistic about it, but horror remakes don't exactly have a great track record.

The book (and even the original film, to a lesser extent) had a lot to say about S&M culture, and our primal sexual desires being interconnected with our bloodlust.

Sadly, I imagine this will end up another lowest-common-denominator teen horror flick.

I see what you are saying and mostly agree. I don't have any hopes for the Suspiria remake, which I hope gets cancelled. I haven't seen the original version of this, but I have heard mixed things.

megladon8
10-30-2008, 01:42 PM
I see what you are saying and mostly agree. I don't have any hopes for the Suspiria remake, which I hope gets cancelled. I haven't seen the original version of this, but I have heard mixed things.

The few computer effects they used are certainly dated, but it still packs quite the punch.

While a film like Saw or Hostel tries to shock you with gore, Hellraiser's visuals DO shock you because of the themes they are connected to.

Imagine being tortured so terribly, with such immense amounts of pain, that you actually began to love it.

Pinhead is the only movie monster I still have regular nightmares about. I find the whole pain-for-pleasure thing really disturbing, and I often have horrid dreams where I'm trying desperately to get away from him as he wants to turn me into one of them.

He has some awesome lines in the movie, too. Real "definition of evil" type stuff. One of my favorites...

"Your suffering will be legendary, even in Hell."

Ezee E
10-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Never seen the original.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
so many negative people on these forums

D_Davis
10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
This could be cool - Hellraiser could be greatly improved with a remake and a bigger budget.

bac0n
10-30-2008, 06:19 PM
color me cautiously optimistic.

Dukefrukem
10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
rumor has it Amber Heard (Mandy Lane, Zombieland, The Stepfather) is the lead role... but i cant access the article. blocked at work.

Skitch
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
I'll just say the Anchor Bay tin is one of my favorite in my collection. Everything else I think has been said in here already. :)

MadMan
10-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Never seen the original.I only saw some of it on TV once (Encore Mystery, actually-and I don't think it was censored). I'm going to finally view the entire thing on Halloween, I think. If not, then I'll just rent it before viewing the remake.

Lasse
10-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Danish teen movie director to helm Hellraiser remake? (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22068)

I have only seen Råzone, which was pretty good. Never bothered with Dig Og Mig, which was reportedly terrible, and Zoomerne, which was a children's movie.

Dukefrukem
08-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Concept Art for reboot

http://blastr.com/uploads/hellraiser1.jpeg
http://blastr.com/uploads/hellraiser2.jpeg
http://blastr.com/uploads/hellraiser3.jpeg

Grouchy
08-06-2012, 04:40 PM
So depressing that this is being made.

Dukefrukem
10-26-2013, 01:52 AM
Here's some news for Meg https://www.facebook.com/officialclivebarker

[HOT FROM HELL! My friends,I have some news which may be of interest to you. A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with Bob Weinstein of Dimension Pictures,in the course of which I pitched a remake of the first HELLRAISER film. The idea of my coming back to the original film and telling the story with a fresh intensity - honoring the structure and the designs from the first incarnation but hopefully creating an even darker and richer film - was attractive to Dimension. Today I have officially been invited to write the script based upon that pitch. What can I tell you about it?

Well, it will not be a film awash with CGI. I remain as passionate about the power of practical make-up effects as I was when I wrote and directed the first HELLRAISER. Of course the best make-up in the world loses force if not inhabited by a first-rate actor. I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley, and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed. So once the papers are signed, I will open a Lemarchand Configuration, dip my quill in its contents and start writing. I promise that there will be nowhere on the Internet where the news of my progress will be more reliable than here, because the only author of these reports will be Your Infernal Corespondent, me.

My very best wishes to you
all,my friends.
Clive.

megladon8
10-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Barker and Bradley being involved is certainly promising, but I'll believe it when I see it (like Todd McFarlane's long-gestating Spawn flick that he has stated "is filming next year!!" every year for the past decade).

MadMan
11-01-2013, 05:54 AM
I watched the original this Horrorfest. I think its a tad depressing that they are remaking this, yes, but at the same time its not as if the original isn't dated (which it really is).

Dukefrukem
01-10-2018, 08:11 PM
For Meg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxvrmWijW2A

number8
01-10-2018, 08:42 PM
That looks like the cheapest Hellraiser film ever made.

D_Davis
01-10-2018, 09:40 PM
I sure as hell could do without the detective/investigation angle.

Skitch
01-10-2018, 11:19 PM
I sure as hell could do without the detective/investigation angle.

Right? Have we not seen that enough? I predict this movie is gonna be shit.

megladon8
01-11-2018, 12:30 AM
Looks like garbage.

Can’t wait to see it!

Dukefrukem
05-06-2019, 06:29 PM
For Meg:

https://deadline.com/2019/05/hellraiser-reboot-david-s-goyer-spyglass-1202608075/

megladon8
05-06-2019, 07:14 PM
David S. Goyer? Seriously?

How does this guy still get work as a director?

Skitch
05-06-2019, 07:31 PM
David S. Goyer? Seriously?

How does this guy still get work as a director?

I'd say until they stop making money, but Steven C Miller keeps getting work somehow, who knows.