PDA

View Full Version : Match Cut Mix Vol. 5 - Halloween

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Since no one stepped up I will do it again :P

The theme is self explanatory. Ghouls, goblins, ghosts, spooky things, what have you.

A Raincoat - It Came in the Night (Kurious Jorge v3.1)
Screamin Jay Hawkins - Little Demon (chrisnu)
Blut aus Nord - Procession of the Dead Clowns (dreamdead)
Tom Waits - What's He Building? (bacOn)
Iggy and the Stooges - Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell (Kurosawa Fan)
Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost (Ivan Drago)
Six Finger Satellite - Rabies (Baby's Got The) (Boner)
P.J. Harvey - The Dancer (Raiders)
Add N to (X) - Revenge of the Black Regent (Derek)
10) Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper (Madman)[/U]
Koko Taylor -- Insane Asylum (monolith94)
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - The Curse of Millhaven
(winston*)
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Peek-a-Boo (Spinal)
The Ramones - Pet Cemetary (Ezee E)
This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren (transmogrifier)
The Squirrel Nut Zippers - The Ghost of Stephen Foster (oragami_mustache)
Kate Bush - Waking the Witch (saya)
Method Actors – Halloween (Russ)
Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting (thefourthwall)
Danny Elfman - This Is Halloween (Watashi)
m83- Car Chase Terror! (D_Davis)

Download Link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RY8TJW0A

chrisnu
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Little Demon

Kurosawa Fan
10-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Hm. This is harder than I thought it would be. Should the song be scary in tone? There are plenty I can think of that have those words in the title, but they don't belong on a Halloween CD. That probably means I should go with something else.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Hm. This is harder than I thought it would be. Should the song be scary in tone? There are plenty I can think of that have those words in the title, but they don't belong on a Halloween CD. That probably means I should go with something else.

Anything you think fits. It doesn't have to have anything title wise. I t could be somehting like Wicked Annabella by the Kinks or Ghost of Love by David Lynch. those were the other two I thought of before going with my pick.

dreamdead
10-14-2008, 07:49 PM
It's a bit long, but it's symphonic enough that we'll see how the MC crowd treats it...

Blut aus Nord -- "Procession of the Dead Clowns"

bac0n
10-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Tom Waits - What's He Building?

Kurosawa Fan
10-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Iggy and the Stooges - Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell

Ivan Drago
10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost

Boner M
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Six Finger Satellite - "Rabies (Baby's Got The)"

Raiders
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm gonna go with "dark" and "moody" rather than any actual Halloween "festive" music:

P.J. Harvey, The Dancer

Derek
10-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Add N to (X) - "Revenge of the Black Regent"

Mostly instrumental/electronic, but reminds me of Halloween. Not sure if it's meant to, but it's good enough for me.

MadMan
10-14-2008, 08:49 PM
A pretty obvious one:

Don't Fear the Reaper-Blue Oyster Cult

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Monster Mash yet. Maybe that one's too obvious as well. But it should be on here.

PS: I'm voting for the BOC song btw.

Ezee E
10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Please no Monster Mash. Please.

monolith94
10-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Koko Taylor -- "Insane Asylum"

Winston*
10-14-2008, 11:21 PM

Russ
10-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Method Actors – “Halloween”

Not doomy, gloomy, or spooky in the least, this is a celebratory song that revels in the changing of seasons from summer to autumn (my favorite). It never fails to put a big smile on my face.

MadMan
10-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Please no Monster Mash. Please.Why not? Its a great song.

bac0n
10-15-2008, 01:24 AM

niiiiiiiiice!

Ezee E
10-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Why not? Its a great song.
::shivers::

Spinal
10-15-2008, 02:02 AM
Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Peek-a-Boo"

thefourthwall
10-15-2008, 02:53 AM
Tom Waits - What's He Building?

Super creepy.

Ezee E
10-15-2008, 03:23 AM
The Ramones -- Pet Cemetary

transmogrifier
10-15-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm gonna go with "dark" and "moody" rather than any actual Halloween "festive" music:

Same here.

Song to the Siren, This Mortal Coil

origami_mustache
10-15-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm going with The Squirrel Nut Zippers - "The Ghost of Stephen Foster"

these would have been great too...
Kid Koala - "Trick N' Treats"
RJD2 - "The Horror"

Saya
10-15-2008, 11:10 AM
This is a fun theme. So many songs to choose from. I'm going with...

Kate Bush - "Waking The Witch"

bac0n
10-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Super creepy.

My thoughts, exactly - which is why it was the first song that came to mind when I found out the theme. :cool:

monolith94
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
This is a fun theme. So many songs to choose from. I'm going with...

Kate Bush - "Waking The Witch"
omg, you beat me

Russ
10-15-2008, 06:36 PM
KJ, you forgot mine.

Saya
10-15-2008, 07:18 PM
omg, you beat me

Beat you? What do you mean? :)

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
KJ, you forgot mine.

sorry. fixed.

thefourthwall
10-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Concrete Blonde "Bloodletting"

Russ
10-15-2008, 10:51 PM
these would have been great too...

Kid Koala - "Trick N' Treats"
Yes, this DEFINITELY need to be on this mix. Maybe a bonus track?

Watashi
10-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Danny Elfman - "This is Halloween"

Too obvious?

monolith94
10-16-2008, 02:19 AM
Beat you? What do you mean? :)
Just that your track is a better choice than mine, more fitting; I wish that I had thought of it!

Saya
10-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Just that your track is a better choice than mine, more fitting; I wish that I had thought of it!

Ah ok. Well, I don't know your track, but it sounds crazy and creepy. I'm sure it's a good fit too.

I was going to use a Metallica song (Enter Sandman, Of Wolf And Man or Master of Puppets) at first though. But then I thought that most people heard these a billion times already.

Russ
10-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Interesting lists (http://www.ratso.net/cheat01.html) pertaining to the topic at hand.

Noisotika
10-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Diamanda Galas - Plague Mass - "Sono l'Antichristo"
PJ Harvey - White Chalk - "Grow Grow Grow"
Sunn 0))) - Black One - "Orthodox Caveman"
Beach House - Devotion - "Turtle Island"

Saya
10-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I was bored and slapped together a couple covers today. If you like them feel free to use it for the mix.

http://i38.tinypic.com/xc3jnp.png

http://i34.tinypic.com/n3ub5v.png

bac0n
10-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Wow, that second cover looks dynamite! Well, both do, but the second one especially.

MadMan
10-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Whoa both of those covers are amazing.

Ezee E
10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Wow, that second cover looks dynamite! Well, both do, but the second one especially.
This one.

D_Davis
10-19-2008, 11:05 PM
"Car Chase Terror!" by M83

origami_mustache
10-20-2008, 07:19 PM
anticipation is killing me...post sooooon please!

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I should have it up by Thursday.

Noisotika, if you want to suggest a song for the mix, you have to narrow it down to one by Wednesday.

Besides that, suggestions are now closed, enough songs have been submitted.

Boner M
10-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Noisotika, if you want to suggest a song for the mix, you have to narrow it down to one by Wednesday.
Go with the Diamanda if he doesn't reply before then.

Spinal
10-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Diamanda is too scary for Halloween. She's like music for your day of execution.

D_Davis
10-21-2008, 01:47 AM
"Car Chase Terror!" by M83

Besides that, suggestions are now closed, enough songs have been submitted.

Don't forget mine if you can - it needs to be on a Halloween mix.

Boner M
10-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Diamanda is too scary for Halloween. She's like music for your day of execution.
:lol:

I guess she does seem out of place among the likes of "Pet Cemetary" and "Peek a Boo".

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-21-2008, 03:33 AM
Don't forget mine if you can - it needs to be on a Halloween mix.

yours is on, don't worry.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Download should be up early Sunday. chekc fro ti tehn.

origami_mustache
10-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Looking through a pile of my old mix CDs I found a Halloween mix I made 2 years ago when I was a college radio DJ. Seeing as how I will be going on a mini roadtrip to a Halloween party tonight, and my friend asked me to make some cds, I figured I should expand upon the original mix. So here is the 2 disc Halloween special edition mixtape in all it’s glory. It has about 5 songs from the Matchcut Mix and I didn't number or order them.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/dontslatahate/playlist.jpg?t=1224963228

Download here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=71FLOEHU)

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-25-2008, 08:29 PM
what are you doing Origami? Stealing my thunder????

Where did you get "It Came in the Night"? I wonder if its any better quality version than I downloaded from some record collectors blog. Could you rapidshare it if you thinks its better so I can add it to the match cut mix?

origami_mustache
10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
what are you doing Origami? Stealing my thunder????

Where did you get "It Came in the Night"? I wonder if its any better quality version than I downloaded from some record collectors blog. Could you rapidshare it if you thinks its better so I can add it to the match cut mix?

haha sorry...Halloween might just be my favorite holiday, so I uploaded it to share elsewhere and figured I might as well post it here so we can enjoy 60 Halloween songs instead of 20. Plus I started the mixtapes so I figure I can do whatever I want. ;)

I found "It Came In the Night" a couple of years ago on Soulseek ...it's 192kb bitrate, which is good. Do you know what quality yours is?

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-25-2008, 08:44 PM
I found "It Came In the Night" a couple of years ago on Soulseek ...it's 192kb bitrate, which is good. Do you know what quality yours is?

it says 128kb on itunes (sounds kind of hissy)...is there any way you could upload it by itself sometime today so i could add it to the mix?

origami_mustache
10-25-2008, 09:44 PM
it says 128kb on itunes (sounds kind of hissy)...is there any way you could upload it by itself sometime today so i could add it to the mix?

Mine is pretty hissy too...ripped from vinyl I'd guess, but I kind of like that sound...anyways here it is:

http://sharebee.com/113a55b9

Russ
10-25-2008, 11:26 PM
When I See Mommy, I Feel Like A Mummy - Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
Devil's Hootenanny - Laura Veirs
Devil's Hideaway - James Brown
Frankenstein Love - Daniel Johnston
Spooky Spider Chandelier - Of Montreal
The Ghost Of Stephen Foster - Squirrel Nut Zippers
Dracula's Wedding - Outkast
Evil - Howlin' Wolf
Haunted Nights - Duke Ellington

Out of all the ones I had never heard, I liked these best...

Rep for the mix.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-26-2008, 03:40 PM
mix is up! Download link is in first post in the thread...

Word of warning: Every mp3 I could find of Siouxhe and the Banshees "Peek a Boo" is too soft in volume compared to other tracks and every mp3 of Iggy and the Stooges "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" is too loud compared to the other tracks. You may want to adjust the volume properties on these two tracks in itunes to fit the rest of the mix.

Look forward to impressions. Enjoy da Halloween.

Saya
10-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks! Will download the mix right away.

Spinal
10-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Word of warning: Every mp3 I could find of Siouxhe and the Banshees "Peek a Boo" is too soft in volume compared to other tracks

Hmmm ... bummer.

Saya
10-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I've uploaded the mix also on Megaupload, because Rapidshare is really slow if you're not a member and it takes like an hour to download the mix. You get way better speeds with Megaupload.

Here is the link. (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RY8TJW0A)

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I've uploaded the mix also on Megaupload, because Rapidshare is really slow if you're not a member and it takes like an hour to download the mix. You get way better speeds with Megaupload.

Here is the link. (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RY8TJW0A)

thanks. i will change the first post link to this as well.

bac0n
10-27-2008, 01:42 AM
mix is up! Download link is in first post in the thread...

Word of warning: Every mp3 I could find of Siouxhe and the Banshees "Peek a Boo" is too soft in volume compared to other tracks and every mp3 of Iggy and the Stooges "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" is too loud compared to the other tracks. You may want to adjust the volume properties on these two tracks in itunes to fit the rest of the mix.

I'll see if I can correct the volume levels of these two tracks tomorrow at work so that they're more consistent with the other tracks on the mix.

thefourthwall
10-27-2008, 02:25 AM
Soes, I am potentially just failing, but how do I use a rar file?

I was able to play Mix 4 but not this or 3...

:sad:

Winston*
10-27-2008, 03:05 AM
Soes, I am potentially just failing, but how do I use a rar file?

I was able to play Mix 4 but not this or 3...

:sad:

http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

thefourthwall
10-27-2008, 03:15 AM
http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

repped, thanks!

monolith94
10-27-2008, 07:14 PM
In what order did you want us to listen to these songs, Jorge? The order you listed in the first post of this thread?

Russ
10-27-2008, 09:36 PM
First impressions:

This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Curse of Millhaven
Tom Waits - What's He Building

These 3 songs are this mix's highlight for me. Just fantastic.

Honorable Mentions to Siouxsie, Koko, PJ, Six Finger Satellite, Neutral Milk Hotel, Squirrel Nut Zippers.

I had heard a few of the others before, the rest were pretty decent. I quite like Jorge's pick by The Raincoats in spite of it's reliance on an instrument I otherwise hate: the dreaded clavinet.

D_Davis
10-27-2008, 09:42 PM
This Mortal Coil is an awesome collective.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-27-2008, 10:23 PM
In what order did you want us to listen to these songs, Jorge? The order you listed in the first post of this thread?

oh crap, I forgot to change the track #'s in the ID tags, didn't I?

If you want it in the order I intended to have it in, it would be the way I numbered the actual files themselves, not the first post lineup (that was just the order people posted their picks.)

I didn't put too much thought into the arrangemebnt but wanted to space out the longer tracks, the upbeat tracks, the instrumental tracks, so they weren't back to back.

Watashi
10-28-2008, 08:32 AM
We should do a film score mixtape next. :)

Saya
10-28-2008, 12:44 PM
oh crap, I forgot to change the track #'s in the ID tags, didn't I?

If you want it in the order I intended to have it in, it would be the way I numbered the actual files themselves, not the first post lineup (that was just the order people posted their picks.)

Yeah, the songs aren't in order when you add them to iTunes. But it's no biggie, it took just a couple minutes to arrange them the right way like you wanted it.

It was this order right?

http://i34.tinypic.com/3090lxx.png

Russ
10-28-2008, 10:51 PM
This Mortal Coil is an awesome collective.
Initially, I thought "Hmm, Song of the Siren sounds awful familiar." I kept thinking, "That sounds like something from a David Lynch film." Turns out it's featured on Lost Highway (but not on the soundtrack CD :sad:). Now, without going back and watching the film again, I'm trying to remember where it was used. Maybe sometime around the "love in the headlights" scene?

D_Davis
10-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Initially, I thought "Hmm, Song of the Siren sounds awful familiar." I kept thinking, "That sounds like something from a David Lynch film." Turns out it's featured on Lost Highway (but not on the soundtrack CD :sad:). Now, without going back and watching the film again, I'm trying to remember where it was used. Maybe sometime around the "love in the headlights" scene?

I always forget that that song is in that movie.

It's not on the soundtrack CD because it is a cover, and they probable couldn't get the rights again.

This Mortal Coil does some of the best covers I've ever heard.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
10-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Yeah, the songs aren't in order when you add them to iTunes. But it's no biggie, it took just a couple minutes to arrange them the right way like you wanted it.

It was this order right?

http://i34.tinypic.com/3090lxx.png

yep.

Russ
10-29-2008, 01:06 AM
I always forget that that song is in that movie.

It's not on the soundtrack CD because it is a cover, and they probable couldn't get the rights again.

This Mortal Coil does some of the best covers I've ever heard.
Interesting quote from Lynch (http://www.geocities.com/~mikehartmann/losthighway/lhsound.html):

"I heard the song [This Mortal Coil's "Song to the Siren"] in the 80's and I'm not sure whether it was 85, but I really pretty desperately wanted to use it in Blue Velvet and it was tied up in some sort of legal thing, or it was either that or something involving a lot of money and we couldn't get it. And it broke my heart..."
"I'd been waiting and waiting and there it was [another opportunity to use the song] and its definitely high on my list as one of all time most beautiful songs"

Boner M
11-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow, this mix really took off. :)

Anyway, my favorite discoveries were the Koko Taylor, Method Actors and Add N to (X) tracks. Also realised for the first time how similar the intros of "Pet Semetary" and "Don't Fear the Reaper" are.

dreamdead
11-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Does no one like the Blut Aus Nord track? :sad: Not enough happening, or what?

Russ
11-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Does no one like the Blut Aus Nord track? :sad: Not enough happening, or what?
It's technically adequate, but it's still fairly unremarkable -- not to say it's bad, but it's quite indistinguishable from others of its ilk.