PDA

View Full Version : Wanted

eternity
11-02-2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.wantedmovie.com/

Trailer premiered today. Eh.

jenniferofthejungle
11-02-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm sorry, but "Eh" doesn't cut it. That looks like shit on a stick.

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Angelina Jolie is unbelievably hot.

Rowland
11-02-2007, 12:06 AM
It could go either way. Bekmambetov's style is ready-made for Hollywood.

eternity
11-02-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm sorry, but "Eh" doesn't cut it. That looks like shit on a stick.
It's a horrible trailer, but the film itself looks like it might be decent. Looked way too tounge-in-cheek for it's own good.

monolith94
11-02-2007, 02:14 AM
Stupid, amoral escapism. Doesn't look like it has many redeeming qualities.

Winston*
11-02-2007, 02:20 AM
The comic book was pretty dumb. This look pretty dumb *shrug*

Silencio
11-02-2007, 04:06 AM
This just screams The Matrix rip-off. In action and story.

MadMan
11-02-2007, 09:45 PM
What is Morgan Freeman doing in this? I swear he's turning into Christopher Walken in that he's appearing in just about every movie that's coming out. And most of them aren't worth seeing.

megladon8
11-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Can someone, PLEASE, explain to me the whole "making the bullet go AROUND an object" thing?

I swear, unless this is taking place in some sort of fantasy, that is the stupidest thing I have seen in a long, long time.

Rowland
11-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Can someone, PLEASE, explain to me the whole "making the bullet go AROUND an object" thing?

I swear, unless this is taking place in some sort of fantasy, that is the stupidest thing I have seen in a long, long time.Dude, relax.

MadMan
11-02-2007, 11:28 PM

I swear, unless this is taking place in some sort of fantasy, that is the stupidest thing I have seen in a long, long time.I think its really, really cool. I don't why but it is.

number8
11-03-2007, 12:13 AM
The comic book was pretty dumb. This look pretty dumb *shrug*

I dunno, there are different levels of dumb.

The comic was dumb in the way that it's an excessively juvenile fantasy, a male wish-fulfillment where a dork gets to be a cool bad guy with Chow Yun Fat skillz and getting tons of sex, complete with a turd monster named Shithead for an enemy. It's fun.

This is dumb in the way that it looks like Ballistics: Ecks vs Sever.

Ezee E
11-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Yeah, all I thought of was Matrix ripoff.

Angelina Jolie > Carrie-Anne Moss
James McAvoy > Keanu (although Keanu is probably better when comparing the two movies)
Freeman is basically imitating Fishburne here

So, yeah, I'll pass.

ledfloyd
11-04-2007, 10:15 AM
it doesn't appear that they're keeping much if any of the ideas behind the original comic book. but angelina jolie IS hot.

lovejuice
11-04-2007, 03:31 PM
What is Morgan Freeman doing in this? I swear he's turning into Christopher Walken in that he's appearing in just about every movie that's coming out. And most of them aren't worth seeing.

and the difference is walken actually is good in those films or at least seems like he's having a ball.

Dukefrukem
12-31-2007, 02:30 AM
Angelina Jolie is unbelievably hot.

bump for yup!

Wryan
12-31-2007, 02:41 AM
Original Music by Danny Elfman though.

I'm serious.

Sycophant
12-31-2007, 07:54 AM
I've seen this trailer too many times. This looks absolutely terrible.

number8
12-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Original Music by Danny Elfman though.

I'm serious.

You say that like Danny Elfman doesn't often whore himself out to crappy projects.

Wryan
12-31-2007, 05:42 PM
You say that like Danny Elfman doesn't often whore himself out to crappy projects.

I say that cause this doesn't seem to be his style of film, hilariously so.

number8
12-31-2007, 05:45 PM
A flashy, comic book/fantasy movie is not Elfman's style? :P

MadMan
01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
and the difference is walken actually is good in those films or at least seems like he's having a ball.Even though I think that Freeman is the better actor I actually agree. Walken can be good no matter what the source material is, and he seems to often embrace the bad films he's in. Where as it appears that Freeman is collecting a check to cover his house payments. But hey sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...look at Micheal Caine's outlook on Jaws the Revenge :lol:

Acapelli
01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
If they actually stuck to the plot and set pieces in the comic book, it would've been awesome. Especially those last few pages.

Looks like it won't though.

number8
01-06-2008, 03:07 AM
If they actually stuck to the plot and set pieces in the comic book, it would've been awesome. Especially those last few pages.

Looks like it won't though.

Yeah, I said in the old forum that the comic's plot is so thin and the way it's constructed is so ready for a dumb action movie translation that it's one of the easiest comics around to adapt faithfully, even by a studio hack. It's nothing but a leather-clad white dude smoking weed, cursing, having sex and shooting guns at shit monsters. It's un-fuck-up-able.

And yet, we get something completely different that everyone besides Morgan Freeman are trying to make it sound profound (and not a cheap-ass Matrix rip-off).

Kurosawa Fan
03-19-2008, 07:58 PM
New Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/wanted/trailer4/wanted_large.html)

Have I mentioned that Angelina Jolie is unbelievably hot?

Dukefrukem
03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
New Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/wanted/trailer4/wanted_large.html)

god yes she is..... :pritch:

Rowland
03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
HERO JOURNEY!!!!!

Yeah, looks like crap, but it may make for some decent eye-candy.

D_Davis
03-19-2008, 09:51 PM

That looks like fun.

Ezee E
03-19-2008, 10:52 PM
It's looking better and better as it moves on.

And Jolie... jees.

Morris Schæffer
03-19-2008, 10:59 PM

That's new to me, but you're right. Thanks!

megladon8
03-19-2008, 11:29 PM
"That is beyond retarded"

That's what I heard behind me when I watched that trailer, and that's how I feel as well.

Dukefrukem
06-10-2008, 01:04 AM
if anyone cares, there's a red band trailer up

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/wanted/large/final.html

on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most) tell me how laughable the keyboard scene is...

Sycophant
06-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Over dinner on Saturday, I promised a friend I'd go with him if I accidentally fell into his apartment (a la Izo) when he was going to the movie, and I was all out of nothing to do.

eternity
06-10-2008, 05:04 AM
"Insufficient Funds. You're an asshole."

I really like that redband trailer. It looks like a real trip.

number8
06-10-2008, 05:45 AM
It's like a Shoot Em Up that takes itself seriously. Heh.

I'm not against this as I once was, but it still looks mildly retarded.

Ezee E
06-10-2008, 11:16 AM
It's like a Shoot Em Up that takes itself seriously. Heh.

I'm not against this as I once was, but it still looks mildly retarded.
Pretty much how I feel.

I think I'll check it out.

Dukefrukem
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
no comments on the keyboard scene?

lovejuice
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
no comments on the keyboard scene?

not sure what you mean. the fact that anybody must be found on google?

number8
06-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm on Google.

Sycophant
06-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Sometimes I use Google as a verb and feel slightly dirty.

Wryan
06-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Admission of shame:

I like saying the director's name over and over again, and I probably enjoy doing that more than I would seeing the film.

"Smock smock smock!"

Dukefrukem
06-10-2008, 05:24 PM
not sure what you mean. the fact that anybody must be found on google?

are you guys watching the red band trailer?

there's an obvious ridiculous scene where James McAvoy hits some dude in the face with a keyboard, and the keys from the keyboard come flying off towards teh camera and spell out: "F U C K Y O U" and the "U" is one of the guys teeth...

Ezee E
06-10-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm on Google.
Me and another Eric Bialas are on google. He's into films too.

I've thought about stealing his resume.

lovejuice
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM

there's an obvious ridiculous scene where James McAvoy hits some dude in the face with a keyboard, and the keys from the keyboard come flying off towards teh camera and spell out: "F U C K Y O U" and the "U" is one of the guys teeth...

i didn't see that, but it sounds cool.

KK2.0
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Looks fun, seriously.

eternity
06-12-2008, 07:56 AM
It looks like total, absolute stylistic overkill. Which could be a really good thing. Or a trainwreck. Or both.

Morris Schæffer
06-21-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1174279-wanted/

Looking good so far.

Sycophant
06-21-2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1174279-wanted/

Looking good so far.
Holy crap. I just got off the phone with a friend who is all but begging for me to be "Wanted brothers" with him. I, uh... hmmm. Maybe I will see this.

Skitch
06-24-2008, 01:34 AM
Am I the only one here who sincerely wants to see this? Sure, it will be nothing compared the excellent graphic novel, but I think it looks sweet. I also really enjoyed Night and Day Watch.

Aw well, I'm probably alone on this one too.

Sycophant
06-24-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm doing a double feature of this and Wall-E.

Acapelli
06-24-2008, 02:32 AM
i take back anything bad i may have said about this movie and am anxiously waiting to see it

Grouchy
06-24-2008, 03:39 AM
I also really enjoyed Night and Day Watch.
Ugh. Night Watch had every element for me to love it, but I was completely bored by it.

Got lost by it, too. I understood shit and jack about the plot and couldn't care any less.

Ezee E
06-24-2008, 04:00 AM
I'm doing a double feature of this and Wall-E.
This.

Morris Schæffer
06-24-2008, 05:07 PM
i take back anything bad i may have said about this movie and am anxiously waiting to see it

Me too!:)

Ezee E
07-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Where's the thoughts on this one as far as it taking itself too seriously?

Anyways, this movie treads the fine line of taking itself too seriously, and having comedy. It doesn't set out to be a spoof of action movies like Shoot 'Em Up, nor does it think it's something like The Matrix. It falls somewhere in between, and although it doesn't quite know which one to be, it remains enjoyable throughout, because of the intensity of the action sequences, and the strong work from James McAvoy.

Right now, this has the best action sequences of the summer.

Skitch
07-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Got lost by it, too. I understood shit and jack about the plot and couldn't care any less.

I've heard this before...but...I don't know, I followed it. *shrug*

I just got back from Wanted. Loved it. I mean, LOVED IT. Fantastic fun.

megladon8
07-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Where's the thoughts on this one as far as it taking itself too seriously?

Anyways, this movie treads the fine line of taking itself too seriously, and having comedy. It doesn't set out to be a spoof of action movies like Shoot 'Em Up, nor does it think it's something like The Matrix. It falls somewhere in between, and although it doesn't quite know which one to be, it remains enjoyable throughout, because of the intensity of the action sequences, and the strong work from James McAvoy.

James McAvoy was one of my biggest problems with it. He didn't seem too comfortable as nerd, nor as the hero. His American accent was bad, too. I like the guy, I just didn't think he gave a good performance here.

I'm glad I'm not alone in finding it unable to decide whether it's a semi-spoof, or a serious action movie. Some of it was great, especially in the beginning when it seemed to live off its own cheese...but from the training sequences on it got tired.

Sycophant
07-04-2008, 04:04 PM
A compilation of my thoughts from the FDT.

Wanted was 108 minutes of messy stupidity (that occasionally had me vainly looking for a social or religious metaphor of any kind of value) with just enough technical grace notes and interesting choices to keep me interested and somewhat entertained.

I'd say Wanted was more in the realm of Shoot 'Em Up over Crank indeed, which is not a compliment.

Throughout Wanted, I kept expecting something to happen that would really put into perspective the cost in human lives, the perversity of the endeavor, the laughability of "fate"--something that would have made any of it mean anything, but it didn't. It just kind of came off as solipsistic and misanthropic and morally loathesome.

I desperately wanted Wanted to become self-reflexive enough to account for the shit it pulls in its first hour and a half. Maybe it was foolish of me, but I kept hoping for it right up to the final few minutes. My friend said this director makes films based on 12-year-olds' wet dreams, and I'm afraid that that really is the level of thought they're capable of engaging on. The movie's pretty much reprehensible.

---

As more time goes on, I'm more willing to just say fuck this movie. Yes, it had some dazzling action and a couple of decent gags, but I find it repulsive.

Izzy Black
07-04-2008, 04:12 PM
It is better not to go into this moving wishing it will be art. It is dumb entertainment. Nothing more. The only problem is they should have scrapped McAvoy and let Jolie helm the whole film alone. He was just a distraction. His story too. The film could have done without a story all together. Then again, that might be moving too far into the direction of art. It succeeded best on its artistic failings.

Ezee E
07-04-2008, 04:15 PM
It is better not to go into this moving wishing it will be art. It is dumb entertainment. Nothing more. The only problem is they should have scrapped McAvoy and let Jolie helm the whole film alone. He was just a distraction. His story too. The film could have done without a story all together. Then again, that might be moving too far into the direction of art. It succeeded best on its artistic failings.
I went in expecting summer action entertainment, and that's precisely what it was.

Izzy Black
07-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I went in expecting summer action entertainment, and that's precisely what it was.

It worked for me.

lemon
07-04-2008, 04:39 PM
I find Angelina Jolie pretty annoying as an actress. Particularly in this one. However, the movie was so god awful that it was nice having having her to look at as a distraction.

Skitch
07-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow, I'm totally shocked some people here didn't enjoy it.

:|

[/heaviestsarcasmever]

Rowland
07-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Wow, I'm totally shocked some people here didn't enjoy it.

:|

[/heaviestsarcasmever]Clever.

Skitch
07-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Clever.

Not really.

Rowland
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Everyone I know who has seen this loved it, and is baffled that I didn't. Kinda annoying...

Sycophant
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Everyone I know who has seen this loved it, and is baffled that I didn't. Kinda annoying...

Sounds like a good time to start overstating your dislike of it.

Rowland
07-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a good time to start overstating your dislike of it.They're pushing me man, they're pushing me... :)

megladon8
07-07-2008, 01:26 AM

Like I said in my review...is it really this kind of retarded "action" that we need to entertain us now?

Have we sunk this low?

Watashi
07-07-2008, 01:36 AM
How is the action retarded?

megladon8
07-07-2008, 01:38 AM
How is the action retarded?

Curving bullets, a car doing a flip onto a bus then grinding it like a skateboard, sniping someone from miles away and making the bullet go between train cars and through donuts and windows and cars...

Watashi
07-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Well, it sets itself in its own fantasy world where this outlandish stuntwork seems plausible, but I wouldn't call it retarded. They do give reasons why a few people can do these things, so I don't mind to stretch my imagination here and there. Most all action fit our senses of what is real or not? Should the hero simply crack his sternum because of an impossible jump he made?

I mean, this is no different from the crazy Transporter films that people gobble up here.

megladon8
07-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Well, it sets itself in its own fantasy world where this stuff outlandish stuntwork seems plausible, but I wouldn't call it retarded. They do give reasons why a few people can do these things, so I don't mind to stretch my imagination here and there. Most all action fit our senses of what is real or not? Should the hero simply crack his sternum because of an impossible jump he made?

I mean, this is no different from the crazy Transporter films that people gobble up here.

You actually liked the "Loom of Fate" thing?

Man, that's the stupidest thing I've heard in years.

And I hated the Transporter movies, and would label them "retarded" as well.

Louis Leterrier's involvement with The Incredible Hulk had me worried he was going to turn Hulk into some lame-assed parkour movie, but luckily, no.

Sycophant
07-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Generally speaking, I thought the action was fine--sometimes more than fine.

It was the rest of the movie that I found, uh, rejective.

Sycophant
07-07-2008, 03:43 AM
They're pushing me man, they're pushing me... :)
Sometimes they leave you no other choice.

megladon8
07-07-2008, 03:45 AM
Generally speaking, I thought the action was fine--sometimes more than fine.

It was the rest of the movie that I found, uh, rejective.

I thought the action was pretty entertaining for the first 15-20 minutes, and then it felt like I had seen all this movie had to show me.

Ezee E
07-07-2008, 05:08 AM
The train/car sequence is better than any other action sequence this year. The rest works too because of its setup. I don't see any of it as retarded really.

Skitch
07-07-2008, 11:13 AM
The train/car sequence is better than any other action sequence this year. The rest works too because of its setup. I don't see any of it as retarded really.

Nor I. The action was cool, even if far from reality, but that was the icing. The cake was the underlying themes, basically to take control of your life. Several of my friends are married cubicle-ites who constantly complain about everything they hate about their lives. Hence when a flick comes along glamorizing someone taking the proverbial wheel of their life...well...I really like that. Blue collar slaves annoy me.

Ezee E
07-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Nor I. The action was cool, even if far from reality, but that was the icing. The cake was the underlying themes, basically to take control of your life. Several of my friends are married cubicle-ites who constantly complain about everything they hate about their lives. Hence when a flick comes along glamorizing someone taking the proverbial wheel of their life...well...I really like that. Blue collar slaves annoy me.
Eh, "the message" is something that is detailed much better in other films. It's basically redone here almost out of force. Just like the "fate" theme that was also thought about.

In a way, this movie felt like a classic kung-fu movie in which we see the student as he gets trained and avenges his father's death. Just updated into American form with a bit of sci-fi thrown in.

Skitch
07-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Eh, "the message" is something that is detailed much better in other films. It's basically redone here almost out of force. Just like the "fate" theme that was also thought about.

In a way, this movie felt like a classic kung-fu movie in which we see the student as he gets trained and avenges his father's death. Just updated into American form with a bit of sci-fi thrown in.

All true, and 100% my kind of flick. If I heard you discribe a movie this way, I would run to the theater.

Dukefrukem
07-07-2008, 03:50 PM

but is it better than the highway scene in the Matrix Reloaded? if so, I'm there.

megladon8
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
There are many movies that did the "take control of your life" message much better.

And it's not like Wanted had anything new to throw into the mix.

It was totally redundant.

Skitch
07-07-2008, 09:38 PM
There are many movies that did the "take control of your life" message much better.

And it's not like Wanted had anything new to throw into the mix.

It was totally redundant.

Really? That final scene was great! I don't recall seeing this theme blasted in the audiences faces before. Maybe you can recommend me some?

Watashi
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Really? That final scene was great! I don't recall seeing this theme blasted in the audiences faces before. Maybe you can recommend me some?
Well, Fight Club for one.

WALL-E surpisingly carries a similar theme: Workaholic deadend boy/robot meets sleek badass girl/robot. She takes him to see a side of humanity not known before. Boy/robot learns to make choices for himself and makes a difference stepping out of the normal tedious routine.

number8
07-08-2008, 12:01 AM
The cake was the underlying themes, basically to take control of your life. Several of my friends are married cubicle-ites who constantly complain about everything they hate about their lives. Hence when a flick comes along glamorizing someone taking the proverbial wheel of their life...well...I really like that. Blue collar slaves annoy me.

This is my main problem with the film, and it is far more retarded than the action scenes.

Sycophant
07-08-2008, 12:05 AM
This is my main problem with the film, and it is far more retarded than the action scenes.
Fuck. Yes.

Rowland
07-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I wasn't that impressed by the action either, for what it's worth. Whatever-his-name-is uses all sorts of fancy digital effects to amp up his action sequences, but he doesn't understand how to implement them nearly as well as, say, the Wachowski brothers do when they're working at top form.

And yes, the thematics totally pander to the fanboy set. Sorry fanboys.

Skitch
07-08-2008, 11:11 AM

Why?

Fuck. Yes.

You seem to feel very strongly about this. Why?

Skitch
07-08-2008, 11:12 AM
And yes, the thematics totally pander to the fanboy set. Sorry fanboys.

Wow. How's the weather up there?

Scar
07-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I know a few people who've said "Best. Movie. Ever." :|

I'll see it when its released on DVD/BluRay. Until then, I popped in Mr and Mrs Smith, and had a very good time.

Sycophant
07-08-2008, 02:53 PM
You seem to feel very strongly about this. Why?I'm having a hard time putting words together this morning, so I'm going to quote the last paragraph of number8's very good review:

Perhaps the defining moment in Wanted is when Wesley turns to the camera and, noting how awesome he is compared to his previous life, asks the audience “What the f-ck have you done lately?” Makes you want to go and beat up that guy at school you never liked, doesn’t it? Makes you want to bump chests with a shirtless guy at work and flip off your boss. It’s the same kind of superficial manly posturing that plagued the likes of 300. What’s that one line from Shoot ‘Em Up? “A pussy can become a man, if he has a gun in his hand”? Somehow, someone made a movie based entirely on that rhetoric.
My morals don't allow me to approve of a film that sends me off encouraging me to fuck up anyone who makes my life less enjoyable.

Skitch
07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm having a hard time putting words together this morning, so I'm going to quote the last paragraph of number8's very good review:

My morals don't allow me to approve of a film that sends me off encouraging me to fuck up anyone who makes my life less enjoyable.

Nor would I. Anyone that came out of Fight Club wanting to be a space monkey missed the point, and anyone that came out Wanted thinking fucking people up is cool, also missed it. At least, I mean, I didn't take those films that way, not that you do...

The first thing I thought after the closing line (which I loved) was "YYYEEEAAAHHHH! I need to travel more."

:)

Skitch
07-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I know a few people who've said "Best. Movie. Ever." :|

I'll see it when its released on DVD/BluRay. Until then, I popped in Mr and Mrs Smith, and had a very good time.

:lol:

Ahhhhh, no. Not by a long shot. I would like to point out that I'm not claiming any such thing. Actually, the movie is rediculous, the train sequence wildly flawed, and the car chase completely ludicrious. But damn is it fun! And I think it has an atypical storyline and theme. I'm just sayin' why I enjoy it. It's not the best movie ever.

That being said, I think you'd like it Scar.

Morris Schæffer
07-08-2008, 04:34 PM

I still fantasize about fucking up that bully in high school from time to time. He would have deserved it too the motherfucker, but I'm a coward.

Morris Schæffer
07-12-2008, 10:09 PM

I just came back from Wanted and this scene just made me burst out laughing. I thought it was hilarious. I guess it hit a nerve....or something. I didn't even notice the keys spelling out that. I saw the tooth though, but it never registered as a letter.:)

I dig this movie. It's quite preposterous, but the quality of the visual effects, sincerity of the characters and inventiveness of the set pieces were commendable enough to genuinely raise a pulse and engage me.

Yuzna's Cufflinks
07-12-2008, 10:12 PM
I may never see this movie. I've been told by friends that it's right down my alley, but the trailer tells me otherwise.

Morris Schæffer
07-12-2008, 10:30 PM

I had seen the train sequence briefly in trailers and was worried that the FX would be really bad, but I was amazed by its relative intensity.

Boner M
08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
This was completely torturous and obnoxious. I can't believe it's 2008 and a moratorium on 'bullet time' action sequences hasn't begun. People still eat that shit up? Really?

number8
08-07-2008, 06:29 PM
"There are such high standards and now there are always new standards being set for action," Schwarzenegger said. "You see that with 'Iron Man' and with the new Batman movie and that other film this summer, um, 'Wanted.' That was an excellent movie! There was this train coming down from a bridge, falling, and they're fighting inside the train car. Jesus, that is unbelievable that you can do that. To have the imagination to write it and the talent to shoot it and make it real on the screen. It's a whole new dimension."

EET VAS FANTAASTICOOLAH!!!

Morris Schæffer
08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/total_recall/images/total_recall_large_04.jpg

IT VHAS TOATHELLY COOL UND ACTSHUN-PACKED VHIZ SLOA-MOA UND EXPLOASHUNS HAHAHAHAHA, VHANTED VHAS A GHUT TIME AT ZHE MOVIES!!!!!!!!

Ezee E
08-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I wonder if Ah-nuld saw Children of Men.

Sxottlan
08-08-2008, 08:26 AM
This starts out well and fun. I did like Freeman's nasty turn here. But then it just gets ridiculous. Namely, with the whole tapestry angle. Absolutely silly. So can pretty much any loom out there create a hit list? Also, the rats. Lame.

Jolie looked like a crack addict in this one. Gotta love how she curves a bullet with her right arm and the bullet somehow curves left.

Also, call me insecure, but I don't like a movie telling me I'm pathetic.

Seriously. Fuck you movie.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2008, 06:20 PM
what the fuck did i just watch?

Sycophant
12-04-2008, 06:22 PM
what the fuck did i just watch?

Wanted?

Kurosawa Fan
12-04-2008, 06:44 PM
An absolutely terrible movie?

Watashi
12-04-2008, 07:28 PM
A good fun guilty pleasure movie?

Dukefrukem
12-04-2008, 08:07 PM
An absolutely terrible movie?

bingo.

Skitch
12-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I thought it was a blast. I still do.

number8
12-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I like the Assassin's Map thing on the Blu-ray disc.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2008, 09:04 PM
I like the Assassin's Map thing on the Blu-ray disc.

I haven't looked at that yet. What is that?

number8
12-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I haven't looked at that yet. What is that?

While the movie is playing, there's a Google map and a coordinates box that show you where exactly the scene is taking place. It even shows the route during the car chase scene. And whenever someone pulls out a weapon, a pop up appears giving you that weapon's complete specs and 360 view.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2008, 09:15 PM
While the movie is playing, there's a Google map and a coordinates box that show you where exactly the scene is taking place. It even shows the route during the car chase scene. And whenever someone pulls out a weapon, a pop up appears giving you that weapon's complete specs and 360 view.

Holy shit thats pretty cool.

number8
12-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Posted this in the vid game thread, but I played a few levels of the game a couple of nights ago and wrote about it (http://www.justpressplay.net/games/game-news/4408-hands-on-look-at-qwanted-weapons-of-fateq.html).

Dukefrukem
12-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Posted this in the vid game thread, but I played a few levels of the game a couple of nights ago and wrote about it (http://www.justpressplay.net/games/game-news/4408-hands-on-look-at-qwanted-weapons-of-fateq.html).

ummm that actually sounds fun as hell. I enjoyed both Gears and Stranglehold so maybe this will take the ugly taste of out my mouth from the film.

Grouchy
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
The guns are the best part of this movie.

Spinal
02-24-2009, 04:51 AM
Oh man, this movie is so aggressively illogical that to criticize it for being dumb hardly seems worthwhile. I mean, if I enjoy Speed Racer, how can I criticize a film like this for using curving bullets? Exploding rats, a bullet fired through a doughnut, Morgan Freeman dropping an MF-bomb, Angelina Jolie at maximum hotness ... Not gonna lie. Thought it was kind of fun.

Spinal
02-24-2009, 04:57 AM
Also, the rats. Lame.

You take that back! :sad:

Stay Puft
02-24-2009, 05:11 AM
The best part is that they take hit orders from a loom.

Spinal
02-24-2009, 07:08 AM
The best part is that they take hit orders from a loom.

Yes. :lol:

When Morgan Freeman was waiting around playing cat's cradle, I busted up.

Skitch
02-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Atta boy, Spinal!

Rowland
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Oh man, this movie is so aggressively illogical that to criticize it for being dumb hardly seems worthwhile. I mean, if I enjoy Speed Racer, how can I criticize a film like this for using curving bullets? Exploding rats, a bullet fired through a doughnut, Morgan Freeman dropping an MF-bomb, Angelina Jolie at maximum hotness ... Not gonna lie. Thought it was kind of fun.Yeah, I always thought the movie took itself less seriously than most of the haters around here seemed to, though I still think it has too many flaws even on its own terms to be deemed a success. The insistently fascist subtext still gets to me (though it can productively be read as a still-conservative America trying to square support for militarism with military lies and incompetence (http://http://leonardo.spidernet.net/Artus/2386/hiatus08.htm#wanted), as Theo notes), some of the humor is overly mean-spirited, the middle training act is just a bit too doughy, and Bekmambetov has no sense of directorial/editorial rhythm. For inspired action retardation, I prefer Transporter 2.

And as for Angelina Jolie in this... no bicep should be diametrically equal to a wrist. Ick.

Sycophant
02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Maybe Wanted didn't take itself all that seriously, but I think then its casual summoning of pretty disturbing and malicious idelogies is even more egregious, as they're just there to support "the fun."

If the film itself isn't invested in its heavy-handed themes, then it shouldn't waste screen time with them.

I wish "the fun" was supported by a better rest-of-the-movie.

Rowland
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Maybe Wanted didn't take itself all that seriously, but I think then its casual summoning of pretty disturbing and malicious idelogies is even more egregious, as they're just there to support "the fun."You know, you could argue that the movie itself doesn't support the ideologies it espouses during the middle act. Even McAvoy questions the wisdom in following a Loom of Fate, which is proven legitimate when we discover how easily such fascist militarism can be manipulated by the higher-ups for their own ignoble ends, and those who support such ideologies at face value for the blind purpose of revenge (as Jolie and McAvoy do) are doomed to be used as pawns. Mind you, how convincingly the movie evinces such a philosophy is questionable for a number of reasons, but it's there.

number8
02-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Rowland, the fascism is not what's disturbing about the movie's ideology. It's the movie equating the mundane with fascism and its face-value support of the "hellz yeah, fuck you, i'm awesome cause I'm not a pussy" mentality that's really icky.

I think someone in this thread mentioned that it's Fight Club 2 for people who didn't get Fight Club.

Sycophant
02-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, that's more what I was getting at. Its equating self-assertion with a kind of solipsistic misanthropy is poison.

Rowland
02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Rowland, the fascism is not what's disturbing about the movie's ideology. It's the movie equating the mundane with fascism and its face-value support of the "hellz yeah, fuck you, i'm awesome cause I'm not a pussy" mentality that's really icky.Well, I do believe "fascism" is a rather common phenomenon in nations around the world to varying degrees, the United States ranking high in its casual acceptance of many fascist attributes, so that equating the mundane as it's presented in this movie with fascism isn't entirely off the mark, though of course this movie isn't sophisticated enough to make anything of it besides the nauseatingly hypocritical coda, so yeah, I agree with you in that respect. The fact that a large part of the movie is seemingly satirical keeps it palatable, but I'm not so sure that the movie doesn't ultimately support its protagonist's smug misanthropy. So yeah, it's no Fight Club, which I myself compared it to as an inferior model as well.

megladon8
02-25-2009, 01:56 AM
And as for Angelina Jolie in this... no bicep should be diametrically equal to a wrist. Ick.

I concur.

I find it puzzling when people say she's at her prime (looks-wise) in this movie.

IMO that was 10 years ago.

Spinal
02-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Criticizing Jolie's appearance = amusing.

megladon8
02-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Criticizing Jolie's appearance = amusing.

But praising her skin-and-bones look is cool?

Raiders
02-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Calling Angelina Jolie "skin and bones" = even more amusing

megladon8
02-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Calling Angelina Jolie "skin and bones" = even more amusing

As Rowland said, a shoulder shouldn't be the same width as a wrist.

And really? You're going to argue with me over Jolie getting skinny?

Winston*
02-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Have you seen Crank, Spinal? If not, I think you should see Crank.

Sycophant
02-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Oh, god, I'd prefer a ratings system discussion.

DavidSeven
02-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Calling Angelina Jolie "Skin and Bones" (meg, 2009) 61

Spinal
02-25-2009, 02:31 AM
Have you seen Crank, Spinal? If not, I think you should see Crank.

I tried to check it out from the library one time and the disc was missing. Maybe I will try again.

Boner M
02-25-2009, 03:22 AM
I prefer to read this film as a potent allegory for the fact that Bekmambetov should never direct another movie as long as he lives.

Derek
02-25-2009, 05:34 AM
I prefer to read this film as a potent allegory for the fact that Bekmambetov should never direct another movie as long as he lives.

I thought that after seeing the godawful Night Watch and yet I find myself faced with the perverse desire to see this.

transmogrifier
02-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Terrible film. This is the movie that all the foolish detractors thought Fight Club was.

Boner M
02-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I thought that after seeing the godawful Night Watch and yet I find myself faced with the perverse desire to see this.
Yeah, Night Watch was arguably worse, but also more nonsensical and noisy so I've ultimately forgotten about it already.

The 'pre-determined guilty pleasure' = unofficial subgenre that needs to die right now.

Morris Schæffer
02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I tried to check it out from the library one time and the disc was missing. Maybe I will try again.

Or don't see it at all. I found it horrendously one-note. At least Wanted mixes things up with a variety of set pieces. The cast is also infinitely more interesting. I liked Wanted. I expected insane amounts of silliness, but was surprised to discover I found it genuinely (well, somewhat) thrilling, the FX more persuasive than I had anticipated.

Dukefrukem
02-26-2009, 02:48 AM
Oh man, this movie is so aggressively illogical that to criticize it for being dumb hardly seems worthwhile. I mean, if I enjoy Speed Racer, how can I criticize a film like this for using curving bullets? Exploding rats, a bullet fired through a doughnut, Morgan Freeman dropping an MF-bomb, Angelina Jolie at maximum hotness ... Not gonna lie. Thought it was kind of fun.

That's fine but...

curving a bullet 360-fucking-degrees?

I agree the training was fun... but the rest of the movie is a pile.

Terrible film. This is the movie that all the foolish detractors thought Fight Club was.

That's a good way to put it.

Btw, what's wrong with Night Watch??

Sycophant
02-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Curving a bullet and jumping a car and screaming while running through a window... those are the parts of the movie I liked.

Spinal
02-26-2009, 05:34 AM
If I accept that a bullet can be curved at all, then I don't know why I would object to the specific arc that the bullet would be allowed to take. What bothers me more is the shooter's motivation in that scene. I don't really get what she was trying to accomplish.

I concede that I didn't think about it very hard.

Scar
02-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I knew what I was getting in to when Blockbuster mailed it to me, and, for the most part, I really enjoyed it.

Like Spinal said, if you can accept they can bend a bullet, then you should be able to accept them curving it 360 degrees.

I did groan a touch at the limousine hit, though.

Skitch
02-26-2009, 03:05 PM
I knew what I was getting in to when Blockbuster mailed it to me, and, for the most part, I really enjoyed it.

Like Spinal said, if you can accept they can bend a bullet, then you should be able to accept them curving it 360 degrees.

I did groan a touch at the limousine hit, though.

lmao...SSSSSOOOOOORRRRRRRYYYYY YYYYY!!!!!!

They only part that got me to groan a bit was the 360 bend. Still, who cares.

Dukefrukem
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
If I accept that a bullet can be curved at all, then I don't know why I would object to the specific arc that the bullet would be allowed to take. What bothers me more is the shooter's motivation in that scene. I don't really get what she was trying to accomplish.

I concede that I didn't think about it very hard.

I'll tell you why I object. (And this is only because I happen to know little quarks like this...)

The Law of Gravity says, if you shoot a bullet from head high... it should fall to the ground the same time it takes for you to drop a bullet next to you from head high. A bullet doesn't stay at the same height forever until it hits it's final target.

Sycophant
02-26-2009, 03:39 PM
So if, instead of that, you had picked up the "quark" that told you that looms don't spin fateful assassinations or the "quark" that says you can't jump a car like that, that would've been fine, but the other thing would've made the movie dreck?

Scar
02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I'll tell you why I object. (And this is only because I happen to know little quarks like this...)

The Law of Gravity says, if you shoot a bullet from head high... it should fall to the ground the same time it takes for you to drop a bullet next to you from head high. A bullet doesn't stay at the same height forever until it hits it's final target.

As the ballistics expert on the board, I must say:

Are you shitting me? You're pissing on ballistics in WANTED?!

And, for the record, if the bullet were a .45ACP, which I believe it was, and it traveled 40 yards, it would've dropped a whopping 4.4 inches. Of course, the bullet would've lost energy as it passed through a skull or two, so it would've dropped more. Plus, these were probably handloads, so the muzzle velocity and muzzle energy would have been much greater then your general off the shelf ammo.

Long story short, Wanted never claimed to follow the laws of physcs, but you need to come to the table with alot more then your little 'quark' to argue bullet physics.

Scar
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
If you complain about the bullet physics in Wanted, do you bitch when people in countless movies shoot faaaar more ammo out of their automatic weapons then their clips hold?

Some random schmuck shoots a full clip out of an MP5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7ZFk8zMmj8&feature=related

Scar
02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
One more thing about your 'quark', (everyone, please refer to wikipedia what a real quark is too, by the way).

If you fire a bullet perfectly parallel to an infinitely long and perfectly flat plane in a vaccuum, and drop a bullet of the same weight from the same height at the same time that you shoot the gun, then, yes, they should hit the ground at exactly the same time.

HOWEVER, there are these things called outside forces that will effect the trajectory of the bullet. Wind/updraft/what have you.

ALSO, if the gun were to be angled up ever so slightly, then the bullet fired from the gun would land after the one you drop.

Boner M
02-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Worst discussion EVER.

4/100. F. 0/10. Zero stars.

Dukefrukem
02-26-2009, 06:17 PM
If you complain about the bullet physics in Wanted, do you bitch when people in countless movies shoot faaaar more ammo out of their automatic weapons then their clips hold?

Some random schmuck shoots a full clip out of an MP5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7ZFk8zMmj8&feature=related

Two completely different scenarios. We take this for granted all the time. We all have had experiences in movies where something just pushes us over the edge. This was it for me. I can handle jumping 100 feet out a skyscraper window. I can't handle 360 degree bullets.

haha god you guys get so fired up...

Sycophant
02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd rather you not implicate me in your "We all have had experiences in movies where something just pushes us over the edge," Duke. I can't remember ever objecting to something like physics.

I only ever have that kind of problem when it seems that the movie's making up the rules of its universe as it goes along, thereby continually lowering its stakes (see Hellboy II).

Dukefrukem
02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd rather you not implicate me in your "We all have had experiences in movies where something just pushes us over the edge," Duke. I can't remember ever objecting to something like physics.

I only ever have that kind of problem when it seems that the movie's making up the rules of its universe as it goes along, thereby continually lowering its stakes (see Hellboy II).

You know what I'm talking about. Sometimes you're on the edge of hating or liking a movie... and then something so ridiculous happens and you say to yourself "well fuck this".... like this has never happened to you.

Scar
02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Two completely different scenarios. We take this for granted all the time. We all have had experiences in movies where something just pushes us over the edge. This was it for me. I can handle jumping 100 feet out a skyscraper window. I can't handle 360 degree bullets.

haha god you guys get so fired up...

And my other points....?

Winston*
02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey Scar, have you ever been lying in bed one night, staring at the ceiling and thought to yourself "maybe I know a little bit too much about guns"?

Sycophant
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
You know what I'm talking about. Sometimes you're on the edge of hating or liking a movie... and then something so ridiculous happens and you say to yourself "well fuck this".... like this has never happened to you.

Not in the same way that you seem to be saying. I can't really say that the scenario you describe makes sense to me.

Duke, if you're not interested in discussing things and having your statements challenged, maybe you should make blog posts with comments off? We discuss 'round here.

Scar
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey Scar, have you ever been lying in bed one night, staring at the ceiling and thought to yourself "maybe I know a little bit too much about guns"?

My knowledge pales in comparison to my friends, so no.

EDIT: And post #151 is far more physics related than gun related.

Dukefrukem
02-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Not in the same way that you seem to be saying. I can't really say that the scenario you describe makes sense to me.

Duke, if you're not interested in discussing things and having your statements challenged, maybe you should make blog posts with comments off? We discuss 'round here.

Okay fine it's never happened to you. Only me. And I'm the weirdo.

Ezee E
02-27-2009, 12:29 PM
What's weird is that duke likes Eagle Eye a ton and then says he doesn't like logic problems.

Dukefrukem
02-28-2009, 04:57 AM
This is true. Eagle Eye was entertaining. Wanted was not.

soitgoes...
02-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Just watched this. Ridiculous is the word that is floating in my head. It is so ridiculous that it's probably better than it deserves to be. That sentence makes no sense, but neither does the film it's describing. I think I need to watch some Rohmer now.