PDA

View Full Version : Fringe

Saya
09-09-2008, 04:06 PM
http://i37.tinypic.com/2cohsap.jpg

Official site: http://www.fox.com/fringe/

The first episode airs today! It seems that the reactions from the leaked pilot are mostly positive, so that's good news.

Pilot Description: "When an international flight lands at Boston's Logan Airport and the passengers and crew have all died grisly deaths, FBI Special Agent Olivia Dunham is called in to investigate. When the search nearly kills her partner, Special Agent John Scott, a desperate Olivia searches frantically for someone to help, leading her to Dr. Walter Bishop, our generation's Einstein. There's only one catch: He's been institutionalized for the last 20 years, and the only way to question him requires pulling his estranged son, Peter, in to help. Under Special Agent Phillip Broyles, our trio will discover that what happened on that fatal flight is only a small piece of a larger, more shocking truth."

number8
09-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS SHOW IS ABOUT.

Kurosawa Fan
09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
The commercials I've seen look terrible. Joshua Jackson especially. I'll rent it if people are raving, but otherwise I'm not interested.

Raiders
09-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly why I'll bother. I really just want to know what the hell it is.

D_Davis
09-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Sounds like a new X-Files, but seeing as how this is FOX, it will probably get canceled next week.

Kurosawa Fan
09-09-2008, 07:56 PM
They just showed a TV spot that explained exactly what it is. Would you guys like me to let you in on the secret?

Kurosawa Fan
09-09-2008, 08:01 PM
For those that want to know:

Joshua Jackson and the blonde girl are agents who are tracking down genetic experiments. People who can regenerate, people who can fly, etc. It's basically a cross between X-Files and Heroes.

Dukefrukem
09-09-2008, 08:35 PM

ROFL!! Is that an Anchorman reference?

Morris Schæffer
09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I'll watch it for a few episodes.

number8
09-09-2008, 09:39 PM
For those that want to know:

Joshua Jackson and the blonde girl are agents who are tracking down genetic experiments. People who can regenerate, people who can fly, etc. It's basically a cross between X-Files and Heroes.

Well, good to know they've finally bothered to tell us. Christ, is that really that hard?

Sounds lame, anyhow.

number8
09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Although it's interesting that we're moving into this auteur territory with TV shows now. Used to be there's no way in hell that you can sell a show without a direct and simple hook and a title that is a good representation of the tone or the premise. Even LOST... You see the title, you see people on an island, you get it immediately.

Now you have this show with a title like "Fringe"--which tells you absolute jack shit--and commercials that try to be as vague as humanly possible... but suddenly it's the hottest show this Fall because they slapped "J.J ABRAMS" on everything. It's not going to replace the standard, but I foresee a lot of future Sci-Fi/mystery shows going this way.

"THIS FALL... A GROUNDBREAKING NEW DRAMA. WATCH. AND. SEE. WHAT. IT. IS!"

*flashes of people looking shocked*

"J.J. ABRAMS' HELLO"

"Trust us, it's cool beans. Only on NBC."

MadMan
09-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Okay I'm hooked. Tonight's rather long pilot episode, complete with very little commercial interruption, was highly entertaining. What I like is how enthusiastic John Noble really is (I busted out laughing when he happily said "Let's make some LSD!"), and the rather sarcastic Joshua Jackson. Plus the female lead, whatever her name is, is not only hot but also a halfway decent actress. Oh and of course throw in mystery know it all dude from Lost (the guy who assembled the team to go to the island on that show) as her cool, mysterious knows what going on boss, and I think this show may be a winner. Or at the very least extremely watch able every week, which isn't a bad thing. Plus I'm sure the creepy freaky shit we saw tonight is just the tip of the freaky gross creepy freaky shit iceberg. Awesome.

PS: The whole putting the person on drugs and sticking them in a tub of water thing is clearly inspired by the movie Altered Status, which I must see sometime.

Henry Gale
09-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Okay I'm hooked. Tonight's rather long pilot episode, complete with very little commercial interruption, was highly entertaining. What I like is how enthusiastic John Noble really is (I busted out laughing when he happily said "Let's make some LSD!"), and the rather sarcastic Joshua Jackson. Plus the female lead, whatever her name is, is not only hot but also a halfway decent actress. Oh and of course throw in mystery know it all dude from Lost (the guy who assembled the team to go to the island on that show) as her cool, mysterious knows what going on boss, and I think this show may be a winner. Or at the very least extremely watch able every week, which isn't a bad thing. Plus I'm sure the creepy freaky shit we saw tonight is just the tip of the freaky gross creepy freaky shit iceberg. Awesome.

PS: The whole putting the person on drugs and sticking them in a tub of water thing is clearly inspired by the movie Altered Status, which I must see sometime.

Pretty much exactly how I felt. Very entertaining stuff. Plus the first scene was especially awesome and quite graphic for an 8pm network show.

Russ
09-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Pro: Decent premise. Nice 3-D location logos. Interesting commercial breaks.

Con: Cribbed the musical cues from Lost. Hate all the actors. How quickly Dr. Genius turned from insane to "remarkedly lucid". Piss-poor editing on the action scenes.

Verdict: Probably tuning out pretty soon..

"Trust us, it's cool beans. Only on NBC."
Funny.

What was up with that cow?

DSNT
09-10-2008, 03:06 AM
Shrug. Far from perfect with some laughable gaps in logic, but has the building blocks to become a great series. Agreed on the acting, although I thought the Dr. was good.

I'll keep watching.

D_Davis
09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Looked great in HD.

Fell asleep during the first hour thanks to cold medication. I liked what I saw, except for the distracting location titles. There is no need for that kind of "creativity".

Raiders
09-10-2008, 04:38 PM
I actually thought the acting was fine, particularly John Noble. I didn't think his character really had that much of a transformation. He was always less than insane but more eccentric than normal. The ending gave him less room to be much of anything but a plot device (using his medical knowledge), but I have hope he'll retain his "crazy" edge.

I'll definitely tune in again next week.

MadMan
09-11-2008, 01:27 AM
One of my favorite moments was when John Noble was watching and laughing at Spongebob. That was great.

Russ
09-11-2008, 02:08 AM
I said I hated all the actors; that's not exactly true. I did enjoy Blair Brown's performance a lot. Hope to see more of her.

Morris Schæffer
09-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Some positive comments. I'll definitely start watching this show this weekend, providing I've download the first episode.

Is the first episode a two parter? I'm asking because the torrent file is actually 702 MB whereas most single episodes are approx. 350 MB.

Henry Gale
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Is the first episode a two parter? I'm asking because the torrent file is actually 702 MB whereas most single episodes are approx. 350 MB.

Yeah, it was a 90 minute premiere with less than 10 minutes of that commercials. Actually pretty impressive for a major network to do that, but I think I read it was more of a demand from Abrams, Kurtzman and Orci than something Fox thought up.

I think they said every episode from here on will be 50 minutes long too.

Thirdmango
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
If you don't want to download it the first episode is on hulu.

I thought it was okay, I was happy to see Boston Legal's Brad Chase. It was also cool now that I live in boston to recognize places they went. But overall I thought it was just an okay show. I'll keep watching it when I have time.

Morris Schæffer
09-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Predictably, I was sufficiently engaged by the pilot and will continue watching the show. Really liked the beginning. Would have wished for a longer sequence aboard the infected airplane since it was immensely creepy and atmospheric. A bit dead after that devolving into mumbo jumbo, risquée experiments and plot twists that at this point aren't uber-persuasive.

Such as the actions of the Mark Valley character. Espesh after being infected himself.

and the rather sarcastic Joshua Jackson.

Yeah, but at one point I was like "all right enough with the sarcasm give your old man a chance you fucker."

MadMan
09-15-2008, 04:00 AM
Hah Morris, I think near the end Bishop did start to give Walter a chance. But it took him a long time. I'm sure as the season progresses he'll slowly warm up to the old man. Maybe even forgive him. Okay maybe not that last part.

Morris Schæffer
09-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Hah Morris, I think near the end Bishop did start to give Walter a chance. But it took him a long time. I'm sure as the season progresses he'll slowly warm up to the old man. Maybe even forgive him. Okay maybe not that last part.

No chance dude. These two are on an inevitable path to total reconciliation. I can smell it. :lol:

Dukefrukem
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
that opening scene was wicked cool

http://lh5.ggpht.com/dukefrukem/SM51d1bTUrI/AAAAAAAAAPI/sSHEawO8lHs/s800/vlcsnap-481972.jpg

MadMan
09-17-2008, 05:39 AM
No chance dude. These two are on an inevitable path to total reconciliation. I can smell it. :lol:Yeah....I just didn't want to admit it. I'm sort of stubbornly resistant to admitting some of the show's rather obvious cliches.

Tonight's episode was fairly solid. There was some good stuff in there, but the serial killer plotline was kind of weak. Still the freaky stuff at the beginning was fairly cool, and I was amused that once again another show is using the evil corporation as the villain. 24 has always been big on that. The lead actress did get considerably better, and the ending though did sort of hint at something decently huge. Is Peter really a product of one of Walter's experiments? At the very least Walter knows something that he wasn't willing to tell Graham.

number8
09-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Okay, this show is really awful, but a part of me is glad that there's actually a primetime show about mad scientists.

number8
09-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Also, I hope they do an episode about the strange phenomena of giant floating letters.

Raiders
09-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Okay, this show is really awful, but a part of me is glad that there's actually a primetime show about mad scientists.

Heh. It is kind of lame in many ways, but there's also an absurdity about the whole thing that just keeps drawing me back in. I'm positive I'll keep watching as long as it stays on the air.

number8
09-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I love the idea of a shadowy X-Files division treated more pseudo-science nonsense than paranormal, but the plots they've chosen so far (twin terrorists, serial killer) are just simply terrible. The twist about Agent Scott in the pilot almost got me to give up on it. They need better stories.

Raiders
09-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I love the idea of a shadowy X-Files division treated more pseudo-science nonsense than paranormal, but the plots they've chosen so far (twin terrorists, serial killer) are just simply terrible. The twist about Agent Scott in the pilot almost got me to give up on it. They need better stories.

This is true, though I think the writers are trying to keep it at least somewhat grounded in the "real world" and showing a connection between the mundane, everyday criminals and the "fringe" of society, which here means loopy mad science. I think that's kind of what the whole show is about, and I think it might be for the best. Otherwise, if you create this real world scenario and then suddenly forget that "real people" actually inhabit it and that anything can't just happen, you'll wind up turning into Charmed.

number8
09-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I had surmised that. I have no problem with them linking regular FBI investigations to science fiction, that is actually super cool, but I'm just saying they need to write better ones. Right now it has a case of Heroes-itis: great concepts, terrible execution.

MadMan
09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I had surmised that. I have no problem with them linking regular FBI investigations to science fiction, that is actually super cool, but I'm just saying they need to write better ones. Right now it has a case of Heroes-itis: great concepts, terrible execution.I can buy this, although I can't really explain why I like this show and will be sticking with it when after roughly 5-6 episodes I gave up on Heroes. Maybe I like the characters in this show better. That could be it. I'm not 100% sure.

number8
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Funny story: while I was watching the pilot, it looked and felt so much like LOST that I started wondering why it's not on ABC, which had been good to Abrams.

Then the whole "fringe science" psychobabble came on and I started wondering why it's not on NBC, which have been more successful with this kind of show.

Then Joshua Jackson started torturing that suspect, and immediately I went, "Ah, that's why."

Dukefrukem
09-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I like how it takes place in MA. I wonder if some of these outside shots were filmed here. That Harvard building doesn't look like Harvard at all. But when they're in his old crappy car, their inside the campus.

Henry Gale
09-18-2008, 09:24 PM
I like how it takes place in MA. I wonder if some of these outside shots were filmed here. That Harvard building doesn't look like Harvard at all. But when they're in his old crappy car, their inside the campus.

I think the "Harvard" shots in the pilot were shot at University of Toronto (and the rest of the pilot was definitely shot around the city too). So I assumed the indoor shots were just sets, because aren't they shooting all the rest of the season's episodes in New York?

Morris Schæffer
09-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Ep. 2 was hilarious. The son is trying to resuscitate a victim who's gone into cardiac arrest, calls the father for advice and dad provides it matter-of-factly while eating some popcorn.

Yep, I'm not giving up on this yet.:)

MadMan
09-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Ep. 2 was hilarious. The son is trying to resuscitate a victim who's gone into cardiac arrest, calls the father for advice and dad provides it matter-of-factly while eating some popcorn.

Yep, I'm not giving up on this yet.:)That entire part was pretty great, heh. Noble-Jackson is the strongest element of this show, by far.

Malickfan
09-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Do you have some cocaine?

Dukefrukem
09-23-2008, 03:21 AM
Did you guys seriously like that scene?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/Dukefrukem/FacePalm/facepalmcarllg5.gif

Morris Schæffer
09-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Did you guys seriously like that scene?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/Dukefrukem/FacePalm/facepalmcarllg5.gif

"Like" as in "entertaining," not as in "entertaining and great television."

I may yet give up on Fringe, but not after a mere two eps.

Malickfan
09-24-2008, 02:44 AM
3rd episode was the best one yet. Jackson's sarcasm was toned down...made it more enjoyable. That was quite an intro on the bus.

number8
09-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Yes, that was definitely the best yet. I still have massive problems with the writing and acting, but story-wise, that's more like it.

Dukefrukem
09-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Some random screen captures for the hell of it

http://lh4.ggpht.com/dukefrukem/SNqy_6tS-vI/AAAAAAAAAQM/lhBEG0Jhz0k/s800/vlcsnap-518479.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/dukefrukem/SNqy_m9nIUI/AAAAAAAAAPs/Ca0yS-uQe0Y/vlcsnap-515504.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/dukefrukem/SNqy_qtqJyI/AAAAAAAAAP0/S4tk125EsLE/s800/vlcsnap-516485.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/dukefrukem/SNqy_v68KKI/AAAAAAAAAP8/gge82BZedgE/s800/vlcsnap-522082.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/dukefrukem/SNqy_0EepnI/AAAAAAAAAQE/WfYJKKSBeRY/s800/vlcsnap-4547775.jpg

MadMan
09-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Aye, the 3rd episode was pretty rock solid. That attack on the bus was a bit freaky. What worries me is that later on they'll try to have Peter fall for Olivia. Hopefully this doesn't happen.

Dukefrukem
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
the latest episode was the worst yet...

EyesWideOpen
10-07-2008, 01:38 AM
I think it's only getting better, i really like this show.

number8
10-07-2008, 04:46 PM
I think I've given up. I was watching last week's episode and by the time they started talking about the case, I felt so overwhelmingly indifferent to it all that I turned it off and deleted it. I don't think I'll be watching tonight.

MadMan
10-09-2008, 11:51 PM
I missed last week's episode, and it made me realize that I'm no longer into this show, either. Too bad as it had some promise.

[ETM]
10-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I dunno, I am liking the Observer myself. The episode didn't amount to much in the end but I honestly didn't expect them to go that way at all. I'll keep watching.

KK2.0
12-10-2008, 07:15 PM
The Observer episode was my favorite so far, although it was the most Lost-ish of them all, and i quit Lost on the third season.

Still, i'm hooked i guess. Not as good as X-Files in it's prime days but i guess it's improving as the epsiodes go, Noble seems to have balanced his character's quirks a bit better and I truly like the lead female Olivia, it reminds me of Jodie's Clarice from Silence of The Lambs. Joshua's Peter however still seems like he just fell on the role.

[ETM]
04-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Holy shit... http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2009/04/breaking-spock-aka-leonard-nimoy-to-star-as-fringes-william-bell.html :pritch:

Morris Schæffer
04-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I stopped watching, but that is really cool.

[ETM]
04-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I would have stopped too, but the revelations of the past two episodes and the promise of a pretty fun large story will keep me interested for the time being. We can't have no scifi shows on the air, we just can't.

Raiders
04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I still watch adamantly. I find this kind of stuff very enjoyable no matter how lame some of it is.

[ETM]
04-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I still watch adamantly. I find this kind of stuff very enjoyable no matter how lame some of it is.

I'm waiting to see what they do with the multiverse and dimensions overlapping thing, because it's way more fun than the usual "rogue powerful corporation with the world as its playground" schtick, no matter how compelling. Also, I'm hoping Nimoy sticks around a bit because him + Noble = fun times.

KK2.0
05-13-2009, 07:33 PM
awesome news! still need to download the Season Finale! >.<

I dig this show, and unlike The X-files l'm liking it better when they focus on the main plot, most stand-alone cases have been lame.

Oh, the Akiva Goldsman episode was surprisingly cool :P i don't like the guy, but having an Oscar-winning guest writer may push the quality upwards, hopefully.

Henry Gale
05-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I kind of lost interest in the show, but reading a brief synopsis of the finale in an article, I have to say that was not where I was expecting the show to go at all. It was as ridiculous-sounding as it was intruiging, and that's how I like my Abrams serials.

I can see myself catching up before Season 2 starts.

[ETM]
05-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I kind of lost interest in the show, but reading a brief synopsis of the finale in an article, I have to say that was not where I was expecting the show to go at all.

I did, ever since the episode before the hiatus, where we finally glimpse that it's about parallel dimensions/multiverse. The "case of the week" is probably what kept it going with less demanding audiences, but those episodes were generally atrocious. I only sticked with it because of the big picture.

Now, there needs to be change if they're gonna keep it up - the writing for the main cast, for example. They're constantly dumb as bricks, and simple twists have to be spelled out to all, while never evolving - Peter Bishop constantly questions Walter even though he is proven wrong in each episode, etc. John Noble's work alone, along with some amusing stuff from Acevedo, is what keeps it all afloat. But it won't be enough for long.

Dukefrukem
10-12-2009, 02:07 AM
anyone still watching?

what's with all the symbols in between commercials and when episodes end?

[ETM]
10-12-2009, 02:21 AM
anyone still watching?

I am. I'm hoping for more episodes like the last one.

The symbols are a code, they've been doing it from the start, and one dude has even cracked it: http://www.tv.com/story/13785.html

EyesWideOpen
10-12-2009, 03:34 AM
anyone still watching?

Yep, my favorite show.

Dukefrukem
10-12-2009, 12:29 PM
;210496']I am. I'm hoping for more episodes like the last one.

The symbols are a code, they've been doing it from the start, and one dude has even cracked it: http://www.tv.com/story/13785.html

Very impressive. Are those the names of the episodes? Or just the theme of the shows?

[ETM]
10-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Very impressive. Are those the names of the episodes? Or just the theme of the shows?

Mostly words that relate to the plot, sometimes in future episodes. There's a theory that if the puzzles from S1 and 2 are put together, they'll reveal something important for the "big picture".

[ETM]
04-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Awesome stunt they pulled last night - for the 80's flashback episode, they had the opening titles redone, '85 style:
dqTdQrU_9TY

I laughed so... hard. Love how the "fringe science" from the '80s is all possible now.

number8
04-03-2010, 08:29 PM
;252733']Love how the "fringe science" from the '80s is all possible now.

Yeah, that's pretty funny. Might have to Hulu that ep.

KK2.0
04-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Love the show, even the fillers, going to watch the new one. i'm out!

Irish
11-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Finally worked my way into the third season last night.

Derivative as hell, but oh my god so entertaining.

I hate Alternate-Olivia so much I can barely stand to watch her. I hope to hell they resolve this well... it's destroying me that they've effectively killed off a lead character and nobody knows!

Irish
11-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Goddamn. Season 3 is so well done I'm rendered speechless after watching each episode.

Love the fact that Walter is a bastard in both worlds.

Finding the alternate-earth stories more compelling. Love that they made all the characters (save Walter) so likeable on the "Other Side."

Can't wait til next week.

[ETM]
11-20-2010, 06:20 AM
I'll read your spoiler when I see the last one. But - :pritch:

Irish
11-20-2010, 06:45 AM
;302085']I'll read your spoiler when I see the last one. But - :pritch:

:D

There aren't any episode-specific spoilers in my last post -- it's general observations about the third season.

Thirdmango
11-20-2010, 01:35 PM
I decided to read your spoilers though I'm not there and

Basically it seems like season 3 they get into an alternate earth. Much like the alternate reality done in DS9. Knowing that much I think I might actually try and get into the series.

Irish
11-20-2010, 03:59 PM
I decided to read your spoilers though I'm not there and

Basically it seems like season 3 they get into an alternate earth. Much like the alternate reality done in DS9. Knowing that much I think I might actually try and get into the series.

They alternate stories every week between the two worlds, and the way it is set up is pretty damned clever.

If you're a hardcore sci-fi fan you might find some of the plotlines derivative, but on the bright side even if they borrow heavily from a well-known story they do manage to put their own spin on it.

If you're jumping in cold, I'd start a little bit before the halfway mark in Season 2 (so around S2, episode 8). Part of what makes Fringe successful to me is the chemistry of the actors and the likeability of all the characters, so you want to give yourself a few episodes to warm up to them a bit before the series starts firing on all cylinders.

I'd say if you like serial science fiction or fantasy stories that border on the soap operish (eg: Buffy, Angel, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, etc), you'll enjoy Fringe.

Irish
11-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Awwww man ... wth ... Fringe is being moved midseason to Fox's Friday night death slot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_night_death_slot#Fox_an d_Fridays)

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/11/19/fox-moves-american-idol-to-wednesdays-and-thursdays/

:(

[ETM]
11-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Damn. No one believes in science fiction on TV anymore. They gave the monday post-House slot to Lie to Me, Human Target is pushed by American Idol, and Fringe can't count on anything but hardcore fans on Fridays... it would take a miracle for it to survive. I hope the story reaches a satisfying conclusion whenever they decide to pull it.

Sxottlan
11-21-2010, 03:25 AM
Friday night? So I guess it's goodbye Fringe.

I fell behind early last season and then just found I really wasn't missing it.

[ETM]
11-21-2010, 05:56 PM
I fell behind early last season and then just found I really wasn't missing it.

You will miss it when it's gone.

Thirdmango
11-23-2010, 04:14 AM
I really don't understand networks when it comes to the friday time slot. That is pushed by everyone as the slot of death so why don't they pull a CW and let the show live there for a couple seasons. Be fine with it's okay ratings and don't worry about it.

Dead & Messed Up
11-24-2010, 01:05 AM
I really don't understand networks when it comes to the friday time slot. That is pushed by everyone as the slot of death so why don't they pull a CW and let the show live there for a couple seasons. Be fine with it's okay ratings and don't worry about it.

Fridays naturally don't pull in eyes. If a show has low costs, it's not a problem. Reruns, reality shows, and news specials and the like are cheap productions that work better than a high-end drama involving major talent and production value. Even if they accept that it's not going to do well, they need to adjust somehow.

This is not to imply that they couldn't suffer the costs and still do well as a network, overall.

They simply don't want to.

Irish
11-24-2010, 02:22 AM

It depends on the demographic. Shows like JAG and Numb3rs did well in shitty weekend time slots, but then their audience probably skewed a bit older.

Science-fiction skews younger and no kid likes staying in Friday night just to watch a TV show.

[ETM]
11-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Science-fiction skews younger and no kid likes staying in Friday night just to watch a TV show.

Not since the X-Files, anyway.

MadMan
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Guess sci-fi on TV is really dead, aside from the craptastic Sfy (I don't even know how its spelled) channel.

Didn't they move The X-Files from Friday to Sunday nights anyways? I remember when I was a kid in elementary school PBS showing old Dr. Who and reruns of Red Dwarf on Friday nights, but that ended.

EyesWideOpen
12-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Great new Fringe promo:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/12/14/new-fringe-promo-tackles-friday-night-death-slot-controversy/

Irish
12-15-2010, 12:11 AM
The series resumes its third season on January 21, 2011 with an all-new episode titled "Firefly."

:lol: Oh I hope hope that title is real.

[ETM]
12-15-2010, 05:47 PM
:lol: Oh I hope hope that title is real.

Of course it is. People who make the show are certainly not immune to irony.

Dead & Messed Up
12-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I reviewed Season One on my blog (http://horrorfilms101.blogspot.com/2010/12/review-fringe-season-1-j-j-abrams-2008.html). It was meh. I'm gonna keep watching, mostly because it's supposed to get better.

The final few episodes did hold my interest, since they finally went somewhere with...well, anything would've been an improvement, but the direction was refreshing and genuinely intriguing.

RoadtoPerdition
12-27-2010, 04:54 AM
I reviewed Season One on my blog (http://horrorfilms101.blogspot.com/2010/12/review-fringe-season-1-j-j-abrams-2008.html). It was meh. I'm gonna keep watching, mostly because it's supposed to get better.

The final few episodes did hold my interest, since they finally went somewhere with...well, anything would've been an improvement, but the direction was refreshing and genuinely intriguing.

I thought the latter half of the first season was quite good. The second season was pretty good as well, but still has its lulls. Overall, it's a good show -- kind of like a Lost/X-Files hybrid, but not as good as either of those individually.

KK2.0
01-03-2011, 03:43 AM
the series ratings have always been low, FOX didn't cancel it earlier because J.J. Abrams asked them and they wouldn't say no to him.

Great new Fringe promo:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/12/14/new-fringe-promo-tackles-friday-night-death-slot-controversy/

ha that was brilliant

EyesWideOpen
03-25-2011, 03:58 AM
The best show on television just got renewed for a fourth season. I haven't been this excited in a long time. All the rumors were that it was getting cancelled.

Henry Gale
03-25-2011, 06:12 AM
The best show on television just got renewed for a fourth season. I haven't been this excited in a long time. All the rumors were that it was getting cancelled.

And now I can feel much more motivated to catch up on it over the summer. It really did feel like the network was going to give up on it, but I guess they wasn't BS'ing when they said things along the lines of how putting the show on Friday was their way of lowering their expectations of its ratings.

It's seeing and hearing bits and pieces of the show over the last couple of years that really intrigued me since it seems to have become an entirely different show since I unintentionally stopped watching it around the halfway point of Season 1. So I hope the hype for those later seasons ends up being true.

EyesWideOpen
05-07-2011, 04:35 AM
The season finale was so gooood.

And now we have four different show openings (current, alternate, past, future).

[ETM]
05-07-2011, 05:01 AM
That didn't go to eleven - it went to fifteen.

Interestingly enough, it seems that the finale (thankfully, not the end of the entire show) is about as divisive as LOST's. Ryan McGee of HitFix, a huge Fringe fan, absolutely HATED it, but most of the comments to his review are positive, for example.

Dukefrukem
10-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Just watched a few episodes of these last night. First time watching a NON-syndicated-sitcom, NON-cartoon, NON-sports related TV show since the finale of Lost. Working my way through Season 2

EyesWideOpen
10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Just watched a few episodes of these last night. First time watching a NON-syndicated-sitcom, NON-cartoon, NON-sports related TV show since the finale of Lost. Working my way through Season 2

Season 2 is when it really starts getting great. Enjoy!

EyesWideOpen
02-02-2012, 01:02 AM
They finally moved this from regular Hulu to Hulu Plus. My life is complete!

slqrick
03-31-2012, 03:51 AM
Things are really starting to tie together. I've been a general fan of the how this season's unfolded (albeit slowly at times), and these last few episodes have me really excited for the stretch run.

Dukefrukem
04-10-2012, 03:37 PM
This wasn't renewed by FOX. It might be done. Or they might do a mini-season to make it more attractive for syndication.

EyesWideOpen
04-23-2012, 12:26 AM
That last episode was astounding. I didn't expect it to go there. This is seriously the best show on television right now and no one is watching. Only three more episodes left in the season (possibly series).

[ETM]
04-23-2012, 06:53 AM
It is literally the last bastion of proper science fiction on TV, and it's almost gone...

slqrick
04-23-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm really loving what they're doing with this season, and this episode was another case in point. Loved the opening sequence in the club taken over by Observers.

Henry Gale
04-26-2012, 11:27 PM
RENEWED for a 13-episode final season! (http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/fringe-renewed-final-season-fox-13-epsiode-order/)

And now I catch up!

EyesWideOpen
04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Best news ever!

Henry Gale
04-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Kinda embarrassing that the top post of this page also has me saying that I'd watch all of the seasons over a year ago. I guess I got a bit discouraged with the ratings this year that I'd be racing to catch up with a show that might not have ended on its own accord.

But with this news I really will finally finish (or possibly just rewatch all of) Season 1 and the rest now. I promise...

[ETM]
04-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Good on FOX to give Fringe a proper ending. It sure deserves it.

slqrick
05-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Good thing it's getting another season, because I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan of the two part finale. Definitely a lot of strong moments, but the William Bell stuff left me feeling lukewarm. I'm looking forward to next season though, and how it ties in with days of future past arc being set up.

That interrogation scene with the chick from LOST was amazing.

Acapelli
05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
that interrogation scene was legitimately creepy

EyesWideOpen
05-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Agreed on that interogation scene also really dug the scene with the observer and the rune.

EyesWideOpen
10-28-2012, 05:06 AM
Broyles!

Best episode of the season so far.

slqrick
11-19-2012, 06:30 PM
I've generally been a big fan of this season, despite the cookie cutter, "follow the instructions on the tape" plot for fighting the Observers. The acting has been superb, and love how they're incorporating stuff from early on in season one. The big dramatic moments that might have come off as fan service, have all worked much better than I thought it would.

EyesWideOpen
11-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Just caught up with the last two episodes. Can't believe there is only five episodes left!

number8
11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
NO BATMAN?

Bullshit. We clearly saw a cover for a The Death of Batman comic in Season 2. Keep your alternate pop culture straight, writers.

[ETM]
11-25-2012, 10:19 PM
I wanted to see badgers, dammit.

number8
11-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Finished season 4.

Bastard Hulu doesn't have the first two eps of S5 anymore. I'm too late!

number8
12-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Bullet That Saved the World.

Holy shit. Brutal.

number8
12-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Caught up! Now I gotta wait weekly for this shit?

Dammit.

EyesWideOpen
12-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Caught up! Now I gotta wait weekly for this shit?

Dammit.

To be fair you won't be waiting long since their is only 6 episodes of the series left.

EyesWideOpen
12-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Great Black Umbrella scene! And the Waitress from The Booth at the End!

Thirdmango
12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
So the only spoiler I really know is about "alternate." Knowing that I'm watching the first season now and it starts getting pretty good around episode 7 or so. I'm up to either 11 or 12 right now.

Thirdmango
12-22-2012, 03:05 PM
End of Season One. There were some really good :O moments.

EyesWideOpen
12-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Glad to hear. Season 1 is more about setting up the characters and things really go bonkers from season 2 on.

Thirdmango
12-22-2012, 03:40 PM
The two big things that made my mouth drop because I didn't see them coming at all. Exciting.

That Peter Bishop is likely from the alternate universe since the one from this one is dead. And the two towers are there in the alt-universe.

Thirdmango
12-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Just watched White Tulip. Best episode of the show so far.

Acapelli
12-24-2012, 06:24 PM
just caught up myself

nina :cry:

john noble deserves some kind of recognition. he was amazing these past two episodes

slqrick
12-24-2012, 09:18 PM
just caught up myself

nina :cry:

john noble deserves some kind of recognition. he was amazing these past two episodes

Damn it, Walter's "he's crying" moment with the kid hit me square in the guts.

Thirdmango
12-25-2012, 12:12 AM
You guys have said season 2 is bonkers, I would addendum that to say last half of season 2 is bonkers. Also I ended up skipping the story episode cause I could tell it was just a filler after big things. But now I'm done with season 2. Good times.

number8
12-25-2012, 12:14 AM
You skipped the annual episode 19? Are you insane?

Thirdmango
12-25-2012, 12:16 AM
You skipped the annual episode 19? Are you insane?

I watched the first five minutes and saw it was going to be one of those episodes, looked it up online to make sure, then skipped to the last 2-3 minutes. I'll get back to it when I'm not engrossed in the main story. They had just done a big moment in the episode before and I wanted more substance.

Thirdmango
12-25-2012, 12:20 AM
I just looked it up and I skipped episode 20. Not 19.

EyesWideOpen
12-25-2012, 12:52 AM
You're talking about the "Brown Betty" episode?

number8
12-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Oh right, season 2 had that extra episode from season 1 they never aired. Brown Betty is the 19th ep of the season, but it became 20 because of the extra they threw in as ep 11.

Thirdmango
01-02-2013, 08:10 AM
I slowed down to a stop. I am up to episode 14 of season 4. I'll pick it back up in a little bit. It was just a decent place to stop and I don't want to get to season 5 episode 10 and have to wait so I might slow down and watch the rest later in January.

number8
01-02-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm quite nervous about the final 3 episodes. Please don't suck.

EvilShoe
01-05-2013, 04:26 AM
Ten episodes into season 4 myself. Still undecided if I'm enjoying this season or not. Suppose it will depend on how they wrap it up.

Was anyone else reminded of the last season of Lost?

Acapelli
01-05-2013, 04:28 AM
Was anyone else reminded of the last season of Lost?
not me

EvilShoe
01-05-2013, 04:38 AM
not me
By which I mean:
At this point I'm worried Fringe is spending a lot of time in a universe where the actions won't have any consequences. The same way the sideflashes in Lost amounted to little more than a detour.
I seriously doubt that's what Fringe is doing, but can't help but worry.

Acapelli
01-05-2013, 04:56 AM
By which I mean:
At this point I'm worried Fringe is spending a lot of time in a universe where the actions won't have any consequences. The same way the sideflashes in Lost amounted to little more than a detour.
I seriously doubt that's what Fringe is doing, but can't help but worry.
wait, do you think that everything will just be "rebooted" at the end?

EvilShoe
01-05-2013, 09:37 AM
wait, do you think that everything will just be "rebooted" at the end?
Not everything, but I'm unsure as to how much of what's happening in season 4 will be relevant for the endgame. Enjoying it a lot, though, although I miss the characters as we had grown to know them.

Thirdmango
01-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Yeah a lot of what Evilshoe is saying is why I slowed to a halt. I'll pick it back up again but the fourth season has gotten a bit tiring.

EyesWideOpen
01-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Such a great finale. I'm surprised they wrapped up everything so well considering they had to rush this final season.

Acapelli
01-23-2013, 01:58 AM
i cried like a bitch

Thirdmango
01-23-2013, 03:11 AM
On Sunday I didn't mean to marathon as much as I did but I watched from the middle of season 4 all the way to the end. So as a series I loved Seasons 2, 3 and 5 and the last half of 4 and the last sixth of 1. I didn't like the first half of 4, I liked the idea but it started to get really tiring. I'm glad the second half picked up steam and then season 5 was a lot of fun. Good series, thanks for the rec you guys.

[ETM]
01-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Rushed but definitely satisfying.

Knowing how it wraps up everything makes me jealous of the people who'll watch it all at once, in sequence, and without huge breaks in the schedule, cancellation anxiety, rumors...

slqrick
01-23-2013, 01:43 PM
I didn't think there was any way it wasn't going to feel a bit rushed, but I thought they did a fantastic job of tying up the small odds and ends. It was great seeing September again, and the finale had both awesome visceral moments and the requisite emotional gut punches that truly felt earned. The Peter/Walter sendoff destroyed me, but I really, really liked the last Walter/Astrid scene inside the amber almost as much. It was nice to see her get some big moments throughout.

The raid on the laboratory was amazing, and breaking out all those fringe events to help save Broyles was really satisfying to see.

number8
01-23-2013, 02:50 PM
It was a neat, tidy, satisfying finale, which is actually pretty refreshing to see after so many other mythologically driven shows try to throw finale curveballs to skirt around the fact that they left questions unanswered.

number8
02-07-2013, 02:54 AM
Wow, I wrote 3500 words on this. (http://www.artboiled.com/2013/how-fringe-became-the-most-inventive-show-on-tv/)

[ETM]
02-07-2013, 05:38 AM
I don't think that leads where you think it leads.

number8
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Oops.

[ETM]
02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Brilliant write-up. I'm sharing it with some of my Fringe-watching buddies.

number8
02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Hvala. Please do.

Dukefrukem
03-07-2013, 02:48 PM
I gave up on this series 3 or 4 episodes into the second season back in 09. I've decided to finish it through.

Dukefrukem
04-08-2013, 11:49 AM
I cannot fathom, how much better this series gets, towards the end of season 2. I've never seen a series do a turnaround like this before. Usually it's in the other direction.

By midway through season 3 the writing is as close to perfect as you can possibly get to balance both sub stories and the character relationships.

I'm absolutely loving Olivia struggling to cope with what bizzaro Olivia has done to her life.

[ETM]
04-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I had no idea Torv had it in her.

Dukefrukem
04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTk5OTAyMTIwNV5BMl5BanBnXk FtZTcwMzU1NzQ4Mg@@._V1._SY314_ CR1,0,214,314_.jpg

Dukefrukem
05-04-2013, 08:56 PM
This Sam Weiss character is kidna ruining my buzz. He's like the knowledgeable/mentor character in most crappy movies that need someone there to explain what's going on.

[ETM]
05-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Don't worry about Sam Weiss.

Dukefrukem
05-06-2013, 11:05 AM
;477545']Don't worry about Sam Weiss.

I think I just watched the episode that explains your post.

Onto Season 4!

Dukefrukem
05-23-2013, 01:42 PM
OK, now i'm in the middle of Season 4 where things are really weird.

Peter doesn't seem to exist anywhere. Very strange turn of events. I hope there is a point to this and it's not just to drag out the season.

[ETM]
05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Trust me, if there's a show that doesn't leave loose ends, it's Fringe.

number8
05-23-2013, 07:08 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/301d8c7afeb4658457b93c20b7ece5 35/tumblr_mlhhziqxWo1qznh6eo1_500 .png

Dukefrukem
05-30-2013, 11:07 AM
David Robert Jones; most anticlimactic death ever????

End of Season 4, two episodes left. They just closed the bridge. And we've been chasing Jones for a few seasons now... then all of a sudden he just dissolves in a fist fight... WTF?

And why the hell would he get involved physically at this point? He's escaped situations in the past at much less effort. Why was he even monitoring those two radio towers to begin with? He should have sent one of his cronies.

Lame.

[ETM]
05-30-2013, 11:58 AM
To be fair, his previous death was awesome.

Dukefrukem
05-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Heh yes it was.

Mara
06-03-2013, 01:31 AM
/shields eyes

Trying this out again. I thought it was fine the last time I watched a couple of episodes, but I never really dove in.

Up to episode 7 and really enjoying Noble's hamminess ("Mr. Papaya!") but they need to give Peter something to do other than snark, and Torv is fine but her accent is all over the place. The meta story feels a little derivative of The X-Files, but there are worse shows to emulate.

Dukefrukem
06-03-2013, 11:07 AM
/shields eyes

Trying this out again. I thought it was fine the last time I watched a couple of episodes, but I never really dove in.

Up to episode 7 and really enjoying Noble's hamminess ("Mr. Papaya!") but they need to give Peter something to do other than snark, and Torv is fine but her accent is all over the place. The meta story feels a little derivative of The X-Files, but there are worse shows to emulate.

If you make to Season 2, I'll be interested to see if your reaction changed like mine did.

I'm 4 episodes into the last season. Sad that it's almost over.

[ETM]
06-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I think you'll like where it's going, Mara, especially considering your complaints. Torv's accent bothered me too in S1, but she'll redeem herself as an actress later, I think. Duke knows what I mean. And Peter gets a whole lot more to do later, trust me.

EvilShoe
06-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I think the creator of the show later apologized for giving Torv such lousy material to work with initially, as she kind of had to bide her time to get to the good stuff. But the good stuff... it's gooood.

Dukefrukem
06-05-2013, 06:28 PM
A very dark episode with Peter in season 5! Awesome stuff.

I have a feeling his decision may come back to bite him.

[ETM]
06-09-2013, 12:20 PM
This guy reminded me of Fringe:
http://cdn.motinetwork.net/peoplesniper.com/image/people/1211/paul-yarrow-photobomb-people-pic-1353681170.jpg

Dukefrukem
06-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Did they edit an episode out of order in the fifth season??

So Peter is turning into an observor for 2 episodes. Olive is pretty distraught by it. And then all of a sudden in the next episode it appears Peter is back to normal and everyone is ignoring the tech in Peter's head? (the one where they go to the island to find Ron)

That seems like a misstep no?

The there episodes I'm referring to are:

94 7 "Five-Twenty-Ten"
95 8 "The Human Kind"
96 9 "Black Blotter"

number8
06-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Huh? Did you go to a bathroom during an important moment or something?

At the end of the episode before that island/Monty Python episode (the one where Peter uses his abilities to set up traps for the Observers), Olivia convinced Peter to take the implant out.

Dukefrukem
06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Obviously I missed it. Maybe I didn't finish the episode. I'm not binging on this last season like I did the previous 4 so I may have just thought I finished it. At least there is an explanation.

Dukefrukem
06-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Obviously I missed it. Maybe I didn't finish the episode. I'm not binging on this last season like I did the previous 4 so I may have just thought I finished it. At least there is an explanation.

Yup. I totally missed the end to that episode. I must have turned it off to watch E3 and forgot.

Anyway, things are chugging along. Still trying to figure out what the significance of this kid is. 4 episodes left.

Dukefrukem
06-16-2013, 03:57 AM
Done!

Satisfying!

monolith94
07-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Just getting through season 2, you can call me an addict now. Binging on them on netflix. I absolutely love how so many of the locations take place in "Massachusetts" even if they weren't actually filmed here.