PDA

View Full Version : Match Cut Mix Vol. 3

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-08-2008, 05:12 AM
I seriously though about Spinal's "ghosts" theme but that should be a theme more near Halloween...so after long though, the theme for vol. 3 is....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/vintage-dads-day.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/2-1.jpg

.........love.
(yes, I made the album covers with ms-paint, so step off.)

:)

TRACK LIST (updated):
1) Jim Noir - Happy Day Today (Derek)
2) Neil Finn - Try Whistling This (transmogrifier)
3) Serge Gainsbourg & Marianne Faithfull - Hier ou demain (kurious jorge)
4) PJ Harvey - This is Love (Spinal)
5) Bob Dylan - Girl From North Country (Kurosawa Fan)
6) Cat Stevens aka Yusuf - Sun/C79 (iosos)
7) The Beatles - Something (Raiders)
8) Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now) (origami_mustache)
9) The Beach Boys - Surf's Up (D_Davis)
10) Intermission (Blowfly - I Don't Want No Woman)
11) Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum, and Durr - A World Without You (Boner)
12) Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I Called You Back (duncan)
13) John Lennon - Woman (Saya)
14) Silver Jews - Room Games and Diamond Rain (Winston*)
15) Sam Bisbee - Miracle Car (Lasse)
16) Paul McCartney & Wings - Let Me Roll It (Milky Joe)
17) Stevie Wonder - You and I (Benny Profane)
18) Kitchens of Distinction - Gorgeous Love (bacOn)
19) Lou Reed - Perfect Day (Russ)
20) Alcest - Souvenirs de autre monde (dreamdead)

DOWNLOAD> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0JEK32E3

Sven
09-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Sun/C79 - Cat Stevens

Spinal
09-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Good choice of theme. Thinking cap is on.

origami_mustache
09-08-2008, 06:35 AM
I've been lovin' this song too long to stop now.

Otis Redding - "I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)" preferably the live Monterey Pop performance.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-08-2008, 06:37 AM
excellent choice, origami.

I couldn't resist doing one more horrid paint album cover.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/rkelly_mask.jpg

Spinal
09-08-2008, 07:05 AM
"This is Love" - PJ Harvey

Derek
09-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Jim Noir - "Happy Day Today"

transmogrifier
09-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Try Whistling This - Neil Finn

Winston*
09-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Silver Jews - Room Games and Diamond Rain

Boner M
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Gotta go with something exuberant & sappy:

Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr - "A World Without You"

Kurosawa Fan
09-08-2008, 12:24 PM
"Girl from the North Country" - Bob Dylan

I know it's probably not new for anyone, but I couldn't go another mix without adding a Dylan song.

dreamdead
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Alcest - "Souvenirs d'un autre monde"

Purty.

Saya
09-08-2008, 01:17 PM
John Lennon - "Woman"

It was a toss up between this and Dylan's A Simple Twist of Fate, but since K-Fan already added a Dylan song I'll go with this one. :)

Russ
09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Lou Reed - "Perfect Day"

Raiders
09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
For reasons similar to KF on Dylan:

"Something," The Beatles

bac0n
09-08-2008, 02:06 PM
"Gorgeous Love" by Kitchens of Distinction

D_Davis
09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
"Gorgeous Love" by Kitchens of Distinction

Great choice!

Duncan
09-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - "I Called You Back"

edit: I just realized that this track has like 2 minutes of silence as lead in to a bonus track after it. I'll just leave it for now as a placeholder, but I'll probably try to think of something else.

Spinal
09-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Kurious --

I edited in a different selection that I think better fits the category. I'll save the Natacha Atlas for another time.

Milky Joe
09-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Paul McCartney & Wings - Let Me Roll It

bac0n
09-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Great choice!

Thanks, thought you shoegaze-o-philes would dig that one. :cool:

Lasse
09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Katy Perry - Kissed A Girl :|

... no, wait. I choose Sam Bisbee - Miracle Car (http://www.sambisbee.com/high/04_vehicle/01_Miracle_Car.mp3) instead.

Saya
09-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I was bored and made another album cover (500x500 for iTunes) for the mixtape. There's one with and without a texture.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9041/cover3io9.png

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/447/cover4ks2.png

D_Davis
09-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Surf's Up - The Beach Boys (version from the Sunflower/Surf's Up album)

One of the most beautiful songs ever written, and it reminds me of what love is.

Benny Profane
09-09-2008, 04:42 PM
"You and I" -- Stevie Wonder.

Russ
09-09-2008, 05:01 PM
It's gonna be another good mix I can tell. Possible theme for a future mixtape: because of the election coming up, might be cool to compile your favorite anti-establishment/political/protest/anti-war/heck, even patriotic if you're so inclined/etc. song. Of course, this would lend itself more to shorter, lyric-based content, so 10 minute prog-rock anthems need not apply. But it could encompass many cool styles.

Just a thought.

Kurosawa Fan
09-09-2008, 06:08 PM
It's gonna be another good mix I can tell. Possible theme for a future mixtape: because of the election coming up, might be cool to compile your favorite anti-establishment/political/protest/anti-war/heck, even patriotic if you're so inclined/etc. song. Of course, this would lend itself more to shorter, lyric-based content, so 10 minute prog-rock anthems need not apply. But it could encompass many cool styles.

Just a thought.

I dig it.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-09-2008, 07:11 PM
ok, thats 19 songs....unless there is one more straggler I am going to consider that the limit for the mix since all the usual contributors have chimed in. I will collect the songs and try to post up the mix this weekend. I also concur this will be a good mix, not to many love ballads or soul standards as I had feared, a good diverse mix (I'll be sure to add a gem of an intro track :) )

The other theme I almost went with was a 'travelogue', a mix of songs about places around the world (my choice was going to be CocoRosie's "Japan" or John Cale's "Paris 1919")...dunno if that was a good idea but I like the anit-establishment theme and a possible halloween theme for future mixes.

origami_mustache
09-09-2008, 11:47 PM
That filled up fast...I love the textured album cover Saya.

Sven
09-10-2008, 12:06 AM
I vote for untextured. The bricks looks so... Photoshoppy.

Raiders
09-10-2008, 12:11 AM
I also vote untextured. The textured one would win if it made the drawing appear directly on the bricks, but since there is a shadow they appear floating in front of the bricks, which is a little strange.

Great effort, though.

origami_mustache
09-11-2008, 09:39 PM
untextured seems too smooth and more artificial to me...but whatever

Russ
09-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Tease.

:P

transmogrifier
09-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Dude...

Derek
09-13-2008, 04:43 AM
Textured, please.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-13-2008, 05:43 AM
mix will be posted tomorrow, c h e c k for it.....

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-14-2008, 04:29 AM
download link is at bottom of first post in this thread, enjoy! look forward to comments........

Sven
09-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Dude, you didn't put it into an album for us! Grrrr...

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Dude, you didn't put it into an album for us! Grrrr...

what do you mean?

Sven
09-14-2008, 06:09 AM
what do you mean?

When I imported the songs into iTunes, they imported into the individual artist's album that the track was pulled from. The two other mixtapes were all conveniently grouped into their own albums.

D_Davis
09-14-2008, 06:12 AM
download link is at bottom of first post in this thread, enjoy! look forward to comments........

Sweet! Thanks man.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-14-2008, 06:22 AM
When I imported the songs into iTunes, they imported into the individual artist's album that the track was pulled from. The two other mixtapes were all conveniently grouped into their own albums.

oh, sorry. I don't know anything about itunes. I'm behind the times.

Anybody else using itunes, be forewarned...and fix my mistake if possible before importing...

Boner M
09-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Just go to 'recently added' and do a mass album title change on every track. Voila!

Saya
09-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I love the mix. There are some great tunes on there. :)

Sven
09-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Best mix we've had so far. My thoughts, from least favorite to most favorite, leaving out my own selection, Sun/C79, my favorite Cat song.

Serge Gainsbourg & Marianne Faithfull - Hier ou demain - Pretty weak. Not a fan of french pop for some reason. Far from terrible, but I am not as compelled as I want to be. The brass keeps me listening. ***

Neil Finn - Try Whistling This - Strange and moody, his voice is nice, the piano is welcome. It seems like he's straining with those strings, though. I can see my esteem growing with more listens, however. ***

Stevie Wonder - You and I - I love you Steve, but this song is not your most imaginative. Still, full of yearning and genuine feeling. ***

Kitchens of Distinction - Gorgeous Love - Love the wall of sound here, even if this song sounds like it risks 80s-pop anonymity. No complaints. ***

Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You Too Long - Is this the recording from the Monterey Pop Festival? Watching that performance is an inspiration. Unfortunately, the sound quality here is very muddy. If the track were cleaner, this would be a lot higher. - ***1/2

Sam Bisbee - Miracle Car - A bit formulaic, but well-produced and heartfelt. Formula works if you've got feeling. - ***1/2

The rest of the songs under this line get four stars. That's a lot!

Silver Jews - Room Games and Diamond Rain - I'm rather tired of the whole Lou Reedy "I can't really sing, listen to how fragile my melodies are" schtick evinced in the work of any massive number of indie bands today, but The Silver Jews somehow get away with it. Nice song. Dig the keyboard action.

Alcest - Souvenirs de autre monde - The award for "Why the Hell Am I Liking This Song" goes to this one. The way they use that distortion to make it sound like running water is immense. Blast you, dreamdead, and your subverting my prejudices about shoegazey metal.

Jim Noir - Happy Day Today - Love it. Don't know what else to say. My kind of thing. Big fan of male falsetto.

The Beach Boys - Surf's Up - Feels like the true hero here is Van Dyke Parks, and I'm not, in general, a big fan of Wilson's music, but this is creative, groovy fun. I can feel the juices flowing while listening to this one.

John Lennon - Woman - Thus far, my favorite John Lennon song. Thanks, Saya. Love the way the vocal rhythm over the instrumental time signature. Very imaginative.

The Beatles - Something - A victim of familiarity. Heard it so many times that it's lost some of its novel appeal. Still, one of my favorite Beatles tracks.

Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum, and Durr - A World Without You - How many ways can you say "Three Dog Night"? Nothing wrong with that: one of my favorite bands in fact, and now I have these dudes to check out. Love the soul, brother! Nobody brings it like Bone-daddy.

PJ Harvey - This is Love - I should listen to more of this woman. Total Hendrix vibes. I love the tone of her voice: forceful and gentle at the same time somehow. A revelation.

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I Called You Back - Exceptional. Beautiful. Difficult to listen to, it's so good. Don't dig that two minute silence, however. Oh well.

Blowfly - I Don't Want No Woman - What KJv3 gave us as a lark ended up being one of the best things on this album. Funky, groovalicious, can't help but bump along with it. So infectious.

Bob Dylan - Girl From North Country - How is it that people have ever claimed that Dylan could never sing? I mean, it's not Sinatra or anything, but it's expressive, he's hitting the notes, it's emotive, it's, dare I say beautiful? Now among my favorite Dylan tracks.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Let Me Roll It - Goddamnit, why do I like Wings more than Lennon? Milky, great goddamn track. Love the simultaneously laid back and anthemic nature of it. Love the rolling guitar line. I'm sure this is a great song to listen to under the influence.

Lou Reed - Perfect Day - Best song and biggest surprise on the album. The three or four times in my life when I've tried to get into the whole VU/Reed scene, I never could find the appeal (aside from Sister Ray, which could be the greatest song of all time). I had no idea, though, that Reed was capable of something so harmonious, so blatantly optimistic and gorgeously produced. You have given me reason, Russ. Thanks.

And thanks again to all! I love these mixes. Great, great, great recommendations all over the place.

Milky Joe
09-14-2008, 06:43 PM
That McCartney song is from Band on the Run which is by far the best Wings/solo-McCartney album. There's no shame in liking it more than the Lennon song (Lennon's solo stuff is on the whole much better than McCartney's, however, but Band on the Run is an exception). In fact, that song is ABOUT John Lennon! Whenever Paul wrote with his fellow Beatles in mind, he always came out with his absolute best.

Sven
09-14-2008, 06:54 PM
On further listening, Neil Finn is bumped up a bit, Sam Bisbee is knocked down a few.

Russ
09-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, iosos, I was thinking that, if you hadn't heard it (it's also on the Trainspotting soundtrack), that you would probably really like it. Funny thing about your choice of words ("blatantly optimistic"): that's the way I also chose to view it, but there are those who insist the song is really about Lou's love affair with heroin and, listening to the lyrics in that light, I can see their point. But, since I don't have that particular frame of reference, I just see it as a beautiful ode to life and love.

Sven
09-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, iosos, I was thinking that, if you hadn't heard it (it's also on the Trainspotting soundtrack), that you would probably really like it. Funny thing about your choice of words ("blatantly optimistic"): that's they way I also chose to view it, but there are those who insist the song is really about Lou's love affair with heroin and, listening to the lyrics in that light, I can see their point. But, since I don't have that particular frame of reference, I just see it as a beautiful ode to life and love.

That makes sense. Either way, that's the strength of art, right? Or at least, the strength of audience autonomy. Just like Martha My Dear is about McCartney's dog.

Also, KJ, listening to Ms. Faithfull again, I think I was overly harsh. It's perfectly wonderful.

dreamdead
09-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Alcest - Souvenirs de autre monde - The award for "Why the Hell Am I Liking This Song" goes to this one. The way they use that distortion to make it sound like running water is immense. Blast you, dreamdead, and your subverting my prejudices about shoegazey metal.

I had hoped to have subverted prejudices with the Isis track from the last mix, but apparently others' tastes toward ambiance and slow crescendos aren't the greatest. Alcest are critiqued by the metal community for pandering too heavily to the shoegaze crowd and forsaking the metal sound, but he's clearly got an aesthetic that he's working with, and he achieves it brilliantly to my ears. Glad you're able to appreciate this one. :)

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Also, KJ, listening to Ms. Faithfull again, I think I was overly harsh. It's perfectly wonderful.

:pritch:. I think her voice was very beautiful until the drugs and alcoholism (and Mick Jagger) turned her voice to garbage....the song is from the french TV film "Anna" starring Anna Karina with a soundtrack by Gainsbourg...

I've listened to each song enough while putting the mix together to have thoughts very soon on each track..

Boner M
09-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Two listens in, here're my temporary thoughts:

1) Jim Noir - Uber-melodic. Love the quiet-loud dynamics. ***1/2

2) Neil Finn - Pleasant. **1/2

3) Serge Gainsbourg & Marianne Faithfull - Spunky. ***1/2

4) PJ Harvey - "I can't believe life's so complex/When I just wanna sit here and watch you undress" Surely one of the greatest opening couplets to a song ever. Love the raw and dirty sound, despite the far-too-slick production. Wish Albini recorded this one. But I digress. Great stuff. ****

5) Bob Dylan - This is nice and wistful-sounding, though I don't pay as much attention to Dylan's lyrics as I know I should. Will give it a few more listens. ***

6) Cat Stevens aka Yusuf - Impassioned and surprisingly funky. Killer chorus. My dad's hatred of Cat Stevens has stayed with me for far too long. ***1/2

7) The Beatles - Ditto iosos' comments. The Beatles have suffered in from overexposure for me more than any other band. I can't listen to them without feeling them disappearing into the background and not registering at all. Anyway, I don't feel that this is one of their stronger songs. **1/2

8) Otis Redding - Can't go wrong w/ Otis. ***

9) The Beach Boys - Quite good. I wish I liked the Beach Boys a little more than I do. ***

10) Intermission (Blowfly - I Don't Want No Woman) - Haha, awesome. ***1/2

12) Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Absolutely lovely. This is the side of Oldham I love best - simple, honest, direct. Beautiful female harmonising vocals. Will have to check out the rest of the album. ****

13) John Lennon - Meh. **

14) Silver Jews - Miraculously, the first SJs track I've ever heard. Pretty good. Sounds fairly amorphous with host of other Drag City artists. Which isn't a bad thing. ***

15) Sam Bisbee
Blech. Intro is sorta decent, then it abruptly ditches any promise to turn into achingly bland FM rock that sounds like an unholy cross between Matchbox 20 and James Blunt. So innocuous that I can't believe this wasn't a massive hit. Meh-ricle car. *1/2

16) Paul McCartney & Wings - Pretty groovy, like this the most of the three Beatles-related things here. ***

17) Stevie Wonder - Maybe not the best of this batch of love songs, but definitely the lovey-est one. ***1/2

18) Kitchens of Distinction - Love KOD, like this track. Prefer them in a more minor key. Still nice and shimmery. ***

19) Lou Reed - One of the best songs ever, no matter how obvious its inclusion here is. ****

20) Alcest - Let's change the term 'shoegaze metal' to 'dreamdead music' already. Pretty good, but sounds like angsty breakup music more than a love song. ***

D_Davis
09-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Just bought the Alcest album - thanks for the rec! Great stuff. Definitely my favorite on this comp.

Russ
09-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Will try to post more thoughts on particular songs later, but for now

Superb: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Silver Jews

Pretty great: McCartney, Dylan, Jim Noir, Otis Redding, Cat Stevens, Blowfly, Alcest

Pretty good: PJ Harvey, Marianne Faithfull, Beatles, Stevie Wonder

Just ok: Lennon, Neil Finn, Beach Boys, Sam Bisbee, Kitchens of Distinction

Hated: Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum, and Durr

Boner, I don't know why I haven't been able to connect with any of your choices on the mixtapes yet. I consider you to have about the best musical taste of anybody on this forum, so I'm thinking it must just be me. :|

Boner M
09-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Boner, I don't know why I haven't been able to connect with any of your choices on the mixtapes yet. I consider you to have about the best musical taste of anybody on this forum, so I'm thinking it must just be me. :|
If my mix contributions really reflected my tastes, I'd be putting Skullflower and Cecil Taylor tracks in, but I don't want to inflict any pain upon my fellow matchcutters. Generally I try and contribute something for everyone, so classic soul tracks are usually a good bet.

Whatcha hate about the JHT&D track, anyway? Seems pretty hate-proof to my ears. Maybe the harmonies sound a little awkward at first, but it's just so ecstatic and... well... soulful.

Russ
09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Whatcha hate about the JHT&D track, anyway? Seems pretty hate-proof to my ears. Maybe the harmonies sound a little awkward at first, but it's just so ecstatic and... well... soulful.

Well, I've played it about a dozen times so far, 'cause I really want to like it. The first ten times I hated it more each time, but the last couple of times it's actually started to sound better. :) Yeah, mainly it's the harmonies and vocals in general.

This just in: I no longer hate it. I will say it's starting to grow on me

Sven
09-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, B-man scored big-time with this track and Eugene McDaniels. Speak to me, speak to me! Two of my favorite tracks among all three of the mixes.

Kurosawa Fan
09-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Just grabbed the mix and made it look all pretty in iTunes. I'll give it a listen soon.

Duncan
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
By the way, in iTunes you can cut off a song before it ends. I think you right click, choose Get Info, and it's one of the playback options in there. Trying to relieve two minutes of silent suffering on I Called You Back.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Love:

Cat Stevens - Sun_C79: after the kind of cheesy opening ("all the happy trees are green") the song takes off in an explosion of awesome. ****

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I Called You Back: This song is really awesome, almost has a country vibe ****

PJ Harvey - This is Love: A Spinal girl rock song finally wins me over. ***1/2

Beatles - Something: Heard it many times, beautiful song. ****

Jim Noir - Happy Day Today: Very addicting ***1/2

Neil Finn - Try Whistling This: Despite some borderline inane lyrics, the melody is entrancing. ***1/2

Bob Dylan - Girl from North Country - Heard it before. great song ***1/2

Beach Boys - Surf's Up:Based on the title, definitely though it would be similar to Surfin' USA in terms of being thoraway Beach Blanket pop. But it wasn't, it was a very pleasant surprise. ****

Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You: When I watched the Monterey concert, his concert blew me away. ***1/2

John Lennon - Woman: Hated the song when I first grabbed it for the mix, but it has grown on me. ***

Lou Reed - Perfect Day: Heard it before, not my favorite Lou Reed. ***

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde: Also grew a bit after being unimpressed initially...***

Average:

Silver Jews - Room Games and Diamond Rain - Sound like a more refined country version of the Bloodhound Gang. **1/2

Wings - Let Me Roll: Very bland chorus drowns out the cool guitar. **

Kitchens of Distinction - Gorgeous Love: Sounds like very outdated early 90's rock, it may just be this song, but I'll check out more of their work given the raves here over the band. The title "Gorgeous Love" is kind of silly. **

Stevie Wonder - You and I: Love the non-piano instumentation but the lyrics and melody are nothing spectacular. **

Horrible:

Sam Bisbee - Miracle Car - Sorry Lasse! Sounds like Savage Garden-esque crap. *

Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum, & Durr - A World Without You - Just a brutal harmony of pretty mediocre voices. The first 15 seconds are awesome, but thats about it. Almost sounds like a parody of a frenzied soul ballad. *1/2

D_Davis
09-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Beach Boys - Surf's Up:Based on the title, definitely though it would be similar to Surfin' USA in terms of being thoraway Beach Blanket pop. But it wasn't, it was a very pleasant surprise. ****

This was the exact response I was hoping for.

origami_mustache
09-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I still haven't listened, as I've been pretty busy, but the playlist looks enticing.

Spinal
09-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I was hoping to do comments this time as well, but I've only made it through the first third so far. Hope to find more time on the weekend.

Boner M
09-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Almost sounds like a parody of a frenzied soul ballad.
But that's what awesome about it! Soul is the only genre you can get away with sounding self-parodic, I think.

Anyway, iosos: some more JHT&D goodness (the B-side, which starts at 2:35, is my favorite of their songs; kinda wish I chose it instead):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQLCLJkLW-s

transmogrifier
09-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Live blog!:

Jim Noir - Happy Day Today

Goes on too long. Starts to wear thin, though the general vibe is pleasant enough **1/2

Neil Finn - Try Whistling This:

My choice, so it goes with out saying that I love it. I chose it because it presents a more direct, darker, obsessive look at love ("...and if the gods desert us, we'll turn this chapel into flames") and I love the overall structure - slow, bridge, build, stop. ****

Serge Gainsbourg & Marianne Faithfull - Hier ou demain

Upbeat and sweetly French. Melts into the background nicely. ***

PJ Harvey - This is Love

PJ = goddess. Accept no substitutes. I would have loved to have seen Rub Till It Bleeds turn up on this list. ****

Bob Dylan - Girl from North Country

A song that wouldn't have been out of place in McCabe and Mrs Miller. That's a very, very good thing to be. ***1/2

Cat Stevens - Sun_C79

It starts at around 1:20 - before that is treading water - and then finally blossoms into something pretty joyous. Reminds me of every other Cat Stevens song, though, and thus doesn't really leave any genuine impression. ***

The Beatles - Something

Nice enough, I guess. Nothing I'd ever purposely choose to play, but I wouldn't skip it in shuffle either. **1/2

Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You

I love the end; it's almost as if he can't. keep. it. all. in. I love this kind of stuff. ***1/2

Beach Boys - Surf's Up

Not a huge fan of the band, and this is just another example why - pleasant but featureless, and I dislike the falsetto. But, as per The Beatles song, nothing I violently object to. **1/2

Intermission (Blowfly - I Don't Want No Woman)

Nice little cleanser track, a nice precursor to the rather cliched braggado of conventional rap/hip-hop. ***

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I Called You Back:

I don't like the female harmonizing to begin with - dissonate and distracting...not really going anywhere at the moment....I get kind of bored of this type of low-fi countryish stuff very quickly....eh...**1/2

John Lennon - Woman

My mom would adore this song. Me, I think it's kind of sugary nothingness. **

The Silver Jews - Room Games and Diamond Rain

In general, I like the Jews, but I do find that their music very repetitive (from vocals to arrangement). Certainly listenable, but nothing really grabs me at all. **1/2

Sam Bisbee - Miracle Car

Pretty much the John Lennon song updated for a new millenium. **

Wings - Let Me Roll

Can tell from the opening it's going to be nothing amazing - the guitar that comes in helps it a little, but I really don't like that tinny vocal sound. Chorus is okay, but kind of directionless. Much, much longer than the content can support. **1/2

Winston*
09-18-2008, 05:22 AM
Russ liked my song.

Winston*
09-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Favourite stuffs I didn't already have in my iTunes : Lou Reeds, Neil Finns, Cat Stevenses

Who's doing the next one of these?

transmogrifier
09-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Favourite stuffs I didn't already have in my iTunes : Lou Reeds, Neil Finns, Cat Stevenses

Who's doing the next one of these?

No Neil Finn? For shame W*, for shame.

Winston*
09-24-2008, 10:15 AM
No Neil Finn? For shame W*, for shame.

I have Crowded House, that counts right? I think it counts.

monolith94
09-24-2008, 06:37 PM
My first crush's fav. song was "Perfect Day".

I think I might've gone with "Oh To Be In Love" by Kate Bush.

monolith94
09-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Had I not forgotten, that is.

Saya
09-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Who's doing the next mix?

I can do it if no one else wants to. :)

Sven
09-26-2008, 03:17 AM
Who's doing the next mix?

I can do it if no one else wants to. :)

I called it, but am too busy to do it. Go 'head.

Saya
09-26-2008, 09:35 AM
I called it, but am too busy to do it. Go 'head.

Ok, cool. I'll start brainstorming for a theme.

transmogrifier
09-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Some ideas to help you out:

1. Best songs to alphabetize your bookshelf to
2. Best songs between 3:43 and 3:56 in length
3. Best songs by a part-time barrister (corporate law excluded)
4. Best songs MadMan has never heard but really wants to listen to as soon as he gets around to it
5. Best songs to impress that cute girl who works at Starbucks, who looks like she's probably into Neutral Milk Hotel
6. Best songs that you came across after you googled the word "humperific"

Duncan
09-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I totally want to date that Starbucks girl. Does she wear plaid? I hope she wears plaid.

transmogrifier
09-26-2008, 07:31 PM
I totally want to date that Starbucks girl. Does she wear plaid? I hope she wears plaid.

Well, she wears a Starbucks uniform mostly.

But she wears her just past shoulder-length dark brown hair in a kind of half bun, half ponytail, which really sets off her dark-rimmed glasses and her delicate jawline.

Benny Profane
09-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Some ideas to help you out:

4. Best songs MadMan has never heard but really wants to listen to as soon as he gets around to it

You crack me up son.