PDA

View Full Version : Mixtape - Volume 2 - Space

D_Davis
08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Link to the mix:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MACEDH65

So I decided to start a new thread for the second volume.

Many thanks to OM for getting this started, it was a very good idea.

I've decided to pick a theme for this volume, and that theme is Space. I will leave it up to you to interpret the theme how you see fit.

Please provide a sentence or two describing how the song you picked reflects the theme.

Songs (title - band):

1. Walking on the Moon - Lucia Pamela (Bonus Track!)

2. Planet Collision - Man or Astro-Man? (bac0n)
The song takes me right into a 50s b-grade movie about some sorta interplanetary catastrophe. I half expect a big brain alien to try and kidnap a nearby cheerleader forcing Rex Reason to rescue the damsel and save the day!

3. It Came Out Of The Sky - Creedence Clearwater Revival (1969) (Saya)
Space reminds me of aliens and this song immediately came to mind. Lyrically it's about what happens when an alien lands on earth. But it is also just a fun, hard and rocking track by CCR. Great driving song as well because it gives such an adrenaline rush.

4. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft - The Carpenters (Raiders)

:pritch:
5. A Love From Outer Space - A.R. Kane (Acapelli)

6. Time & Space (a Refutation of) - Digable Planets (Kurosawa Fan)
Some of the smoothest, jazziest hip hop ever created, this entire album makes you want to hop in your car and ride until the music stops. Laid back, but also intricate, it gets under your skin and in your blood and makes you move.

7. Great Stone – King Tubby (Russ)
Using the theme in less a literal sense and more in its use in studio manipulation. Back when dub was pure and had yet to influence countless other musical genres, masters like “Scratch” Perry, Prince Jammy, and Scientist were cutting massive duplates that displayed their studio skills in using echo, reverb, and customized mixing boards (used to foreground some tracks and eliminate others). The skills and techniques used in manipulating the different sounds created a very real sense of time and space in their dub versions. They all take a back seat to the great King Tubby, here getting wicked and simply blowing up Prince Alla and Soul Syndicate’s Stone. Big up to Tubbs.

8. Charlotte's Mouth - Seefeel (Boner M)
I guess "More Like Space" would've been a more obvious Seefeel choice, but all their songs capture the same sense of dreamy, drifty, floaty suspension; this one's merely my favorite.

9. Structure of Ambient Life - Diatonis (Daniel Davis)
This track instantly teleports me into the realms a deep inner space. It elevates my mind, and in the proper environment (headphones on, in the dark, resting) it actually makes me feel like I am floating.

10. Movements Of A Visionary - Tangerine Dream (Teh Sausage)
It's awesomesauce!

11. We Travel The Spaceways – Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Arkestra (monolith94)
I was actually thinking of going with "Space Is The Place" as that was what I immediately thought of, but on further reflection this song strikes a deeper chord with me. The cool, laid-back horn sets the perfect tone for this meticulously loose piece of cosmic-jazz. It's one of the friendlier Sun Ra tunes, too, with nothing to challenging to our Earth-ears, and yet full of enough variation and novelty to hold up with the rest of his catalogue.

12. Space Cadet 2 - Kid Koala (Melville)
It sounds like radio signals traveling through vast, cold, empty space. And it's apparently about a space cadet.

13. A Una Rosa - Ernst Reijseger (Duncan)
Because it reminds me of Herzog's The Wild Blue Yonder. And because of the way the cello echoes.

14. Weight - Isis (dreamdead)
Picking this because of how transparent the song feels; it ebbs along slowly, building in rhythm and tempo; a perfect musicscape for contemplation, which I've always associated with ideas of space.

15. Space Odyssey - Akbar (Kurious Jorge v3.1)
It has the word space in it. It is also about an odyssey in space and references James Earl Jones, who may or may not be associated with space because he was the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars.

16. Moan - Trentemoller (Lasse)
The video tells the story of Laika, first dog in space. The song itself is definitely something they'd listen to on the moon.

17. Space Walk - Lemon Jelly (origami mustache) A beautiful blend of whimsical piano that mimics a floating sensation and optimistic guitar that adds a sense of wonder and exploration with vocal samples from astronaut Fred Deakin, the first American to perform a space walk who later died on-board Apollo 1 at lift-off which lends a haunting contrast to something seemingly fun and even comical. This song is as as close to space walking as I will ever get.

18. Mystery - The Olivia Tremor Control (Milky Joe)
Forget about outer space... the Olivia Tremor Control is about inner space expressed outwardly through the wondrous reality tunnel (to use Robert Anton Wilson's phrase--thank you D, by the way) of psychedelic pop music. And it's beautiful.

19. Your Truly, 2095 - Electric Light Orchestra (iosos)
I dedicate this track selection to sycophant, who's fandom reminded me of its existence and applicability for inclusion. It's got the space-age beeps and boops in the right places, as well as the groovy string section, catchy melody, and witty lyricism expected of ELO.

20. In the Year 2000! - Lucia Pamela (Bonus Track!)

bac0n
08-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Planet Collision by Man or Astro-Man?
The song takes me right into a 50s b-grade movie about some sorta interplanetary catastrophe. I half expect a big brain alien to try and kidnap a nearby cheerleader forcing Rex Reason to rescue the damsel and save the day!

D_Davis
08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Awesome choice. Those dudes are awesome. Eviac is my favorite album from them.

origami_mustache
08-28-2008, 06:15 PM
awesome...I love the theme...a lot of songs immediately come to mind...it is hard to choose just one

Raiders
08-28-2008, 06:32 PM
"Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft," The Carpenters

bac0n
08-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Awesome choice. Those dudes are awesome. Eviac is my favorite album from them.

One of the, if not THE, best live acts I have ever seen.

Me, I'm partial to their album Experiment Zero, but that's because they have a song about Godzilla on it, nyuk nyuk nyuk.

D_Davis
08-28-2008, 06:49 PM
awesome...I love the theme...a lot of songs immediately come to mine...it is hard to choose just one

I know - I could fill a dozen mix tapes with songs reflecting this theme.

Russ
08-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Looking for Hawkwind, or maybe Sun Ra to make an appearance...

D_Davis
08-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Looking for Hawkwind, or maybe Sun Ra to make an appearance...

Me too.

What are you waiting for?

origami_mustache
08-28-2008, 07:16 PM
"Space Walk" by Lemon Jelly
A beautiful blend of whimsical piano that mimics a floating sensation and optimistic guitar that adds a sense of wonder and exploration with vocal samples from astronaut Fred Deakin, the first American to perform a space walk who later died on-board Apollo 1 at lift-off which lends a haunting contrast to something seemingly fun and even comical. This song is as as close to space walking as I will ever get.

Acapelli
08-28-2008, 07:24 PM
A.R. Kane - A Love From Outer Space

Kurious Jorge v3.1
08-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Akbar - Space Odyssey

It has the word space in it. It is also about an odyssey in space and references James Earl Jones, who may or may not be associated with space because he was the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars.

monolith94
08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
We Travel The Spaceways – Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Arkestra

I was actually thinking of going with "Space Is The Place" as that was what I immediately thought of, but on further reflection this song strikes a deeper chord with me. The cool, laid-back horn sets the perfect tone for this meticulously loose piece of cosmic-jazz. It's one of the friendlier Sun Ra tunes, too, with nothing to challenging to our Earth-ears, and yet full of enough variation and novelty to hold up with the rest of his catalogue.

D_Davis
08-28-2008, 07:45 PM
We Travel The Spaceways – Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Arkestra

Which version, from which album do you prefer?

Russ
08-28-2008, 07:45 PM
“Great Stone” – King Tubby

Using the theme in less a literal sense and more in its use in studio manipulation. Back when dub was pure and had yet to influence countless other musical genres, masters like “Scratch” Perry, Prince Jammy, and Scientist were cutting massive dubplates that displayed their studio skills in using echo, reverb, and customized mixing boards (used to foreground some tracks and eliminate others). The skills and techniques used in manipulating the different sounds created a very real sense of time and space in their dub versions. They all take a back seat to the great King Tubby, here getting wicked and simply blowing up Prince Alla and Soul Syndicate’s Stone. Big up to Tubbs.

monolith94
08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Which version, from which album do you prefer?
The only version I know is from the "Space if the Place" soundtrack. The Sun Ra albums I have are: Atlantis, Batman and Robin, Jazz In Silhouette, a "The Singles" two disc set, and Space is the Place.

origami_mustache
08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
This mix is going to be so goooood :lol:

Saya
08-28-2008, 08:11 PM
These mixtapes are awesome! :)

It Came Out Of The Sky - Creedence Clearwater Revival (1969)

Space reminds me of aliens and this song immediately came to mind. Lyrically it's about what happens when an alien lands on earth. But it is also just a fun, hard and rocking track by CCR. Great driving song as well because it gives such an adrenaline rush.

Milky Joe
08-28-2008, 08:19 PM
"Mystery" by The Olivia Tremor Control
Forget about outer space... the Olivia Tremor Control is about inner space expressed outwardly through the wondrous reality tunnel (to use Robert Anton Wilson's phrase--thank you D, by the way) of psychedelic pop music. And it's beautiful.

Kurosawa Fan
08-28-2008, 08:48 PM
"Time & Space (a Refutation of)" - Digable Planets

Some of the smoothest, jazziest hip hop ever created, this entire album makes you want to hop in your car and ride until the music stops. Laid back, but also intricate, it gets under your skin and in your blood and makes you move.

bac0n
08-28-2008, 09:01 PM
"Time & Space (a Refutation of)" - Digable Planets

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiice!

D_Davis
08-28-2008, 09:04 PM
"Mystery" by The Olivia Tremor Control

Awesome - don't you love that phrase? Reality Tunnel. It's good, and RAW's explanation of it is fascinating.

Teh Sausage
08-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Awesome theme.

'Madrigal Meridian' - Tangerine Dream, if it isn't too long. You could just use the first ten minutes or so if you want, cos that's the best part anyway. For some reason the opening of this makes me feel like I'm experiencing 'Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite' ...backwards.

origami_mustache
08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
a few other songs I considered submitting:

Kraftwerk - "Spacelab"
Deltron 3030 - "Positive Contact"
M83 - "Moon Child"
Dr. Octagon - "Earth People"
Adem - "Love and Other Planets"

D_Davis
08-28-2008, 09:18 PM
'Madrigal Meridian' - Tangerine Dream

Could you supply me with an MP3 of this? I only have in on vinyl, and have no way of transferring to my PC.

It may be too long though....isn't it a complete side of an album?

Teh Sausage
08-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Could you supply me with an MP3 of this? I only have in on vinyl, and have no way of transferring to my PC.

It may be too long though....isn't it a complete side of an album?

Is it? Oh my yes, I think it is :)...turns out I don't have the album with me to send anyway. I'll go with a shorter TD one -

'Movements Of A Visionary', from Phaedra - "It's awesomesauce."

D_Davis
08-28-2008, 09:51 PM
'Movements Of A Visionary', from Phaedra - "It's awesomesauce."

Perfect - this I have on CD.

Acapelli
08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
i guess i should write something about my pick, but it's relation to the theme is solely based on its title. it's just fun, dancey synth-pop

Teh Sausage
08-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Perfect - this I have on CD.

Oh good, because MC wouldn't let me upload it and I was thinking of changing to Radiohead, who everyone may be getting sick of by now.:P

Boner M
08-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Seefeel - "Charlotte's Mouth"

I guess "More Like Space" would've been a more obvious Seefeel choice, but all their songs capture the same sense of dreamy, drifty, floaty suspension; this one's merely my favorite.

Melville
08-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Kid Koala - "Space Cadet 2"

It sounds like radio signals traveling through vast, cold, empty space. And it's apparently about a space cadet.

Sven
08-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Saya already gets rep for one of the greatest Creedence tracks ever.

"Your Truly, 2095" - Electric Light Orchestra

I dedicate this track selection to sycophant, who's fandom reminded me of its existence and applicability for inclusion. It's got the space-age beeps and boops in the right places, as well as the groovy string section, catchy melody, and witty lyricism expected of ELO.

dreamdead
08-29-2008, 03:20 AM
Isis -- "Weight"

Picking this because of how transparent the song feels; it ebbs along slowly, building in rhythm and tempo; a perfect musicscape for contemplation, which I've always associated with ideas of space.

transmogrifier
08-29-2008, 03:47 AM
I can't think of anything without my library here with me. I'll wait for the next mixtape.

Duncan
08-29-2008, 01:36 PM
"A Una Rosa" - Ernst Reijseger

Because it reminds me of Herzog's The Wild Blue Yonder. And because of the way the cello echoes.

Lasse
08-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Trentemøller feat. Ane Trolle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4f6kRnEH8)

The video tells the story of Laika, first dog in space. The song itself is definitely something they'd listen to on the moon.

Kurosawa Fan
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Trentemøller feat. Ane Trolle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4f6kRnEH8)

I thought for sure we'd get Kashmir from you.

Lasse
08-29-2008, 02:55 PM
I thought for sure we'd get Kashmir from you.

I'm so predictable. I had originally suggested Rocket Brothers - obviously - but I thought I'd rather suggest something else, so I deleted that post. I'll get to Kashmir soon enough. :lol:

D_Davis
08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
never mind.

D_Davis
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Okay - so I'll take one more song.

I'll compile the mix over the weekend.

Spinal
08-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Okay - so I'll take one more song.

I'll compile the mix over the weekend.

Helium - "Leon's Space Song"

D_Davis
08-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Helium - "Leon's Space Song"

Great final choice!

Helium is trey awesome.

Saya
08-29-2008, 09:44 PM
I made a couple album covers:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9792/albumcoverkj7.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7885/mixtape2vz7.jpg

D_Davis
08-29-2008, 09:58 PM
I made a couple album covers:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7885/mixtape2vz7.jpg

Nice - I like this one a lot!

Kurious Jorge v3.1
08-29-2008, 10:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/dj1200proof/quentin-tarantino-bio.jpg

Raiders
08-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Unless there are some closet Carpenters fans here, I fully expect everyone to rag on my choice. But I don't care. It's cheesy awesomeness. I think the video is a necessity to appreciating the song.

Russ
08-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Unless there are some closet Carpenters fans here, I fully expect everyone to rag on my choice. But I don't care. It's cheesy awesomeness. I think the video is a necessity to appreciating the song.
Phil, are you familiar with Klaatu's version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpKWYooRaG4)? Fwiw, I like the Carpenters one a lot.

Raiders
08-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Phil, are you familiar with Klaatu's version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpKWYooRaG4)? Fwiw, I like the Carpenters one a lot.

I am, but I am always drawn to Karen Carpenter's vocals. For the "we come in peace" message, her warmer, delicate vocals do the trick better for me.

Plus their version has the awesome DJ sequence.

D_Davis
08-29-2008, 10:46 PM

I love that song. It's an inspired choice. I was hoping someone would suggest some Lucia Pamela.

D_Davis
08-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey Raiders,

Ever listen to Strawberry Switchblade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7QPBzAJ_io

Russ
08-29-2008, 11:00 PM
I love that song. It's an inspired choice. I was hoping someone would suggest some Lucia Pamela.
You don't know how close I was to posting Walking on the Moon. I was afraid of the MatchCut reaction. :cool:

D_Davis
08-29-2008, 11:03 PM
You don't know how close I was to posting Walking on the Moon. I was afraid of the MatchCut reaction. :cool:

d'oh!

That's awesome.

bonus track!

Russ
08-29-2008, 11:10 PM
bonus track!
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif

:)

origami_mustache
08-29-2008, 11:11 PM

Actually I love the Carpenters...I guess it's a guilty pleasure, although I'm a little proud to admit it haha.

D_Davis
08-29-2008, 11:15 PM
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif

And a bonus intro....

Russ
08-29-2008, 11:21 PM
And a bonus intro....
I'm so hoping its Hawkwinds's Sonic Attack.

Spinal
08-29-2008, 11:31 PM
My first thought was Man or Astro Man?'s cover of "Interplanet Janet", but someone already chose one of their songs.

Derek
08-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Fuck! I didn't think it'd fill up that fast. I had 3 picks and was gonna narrow them after work today.

Oh well, I was gonna go with Chrome's "Nova Feedback" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp4vVV85lhI). At least wait until you get past the 45-second weird intro before giving up...it's a pretty sweet, slow jam after that, though you anti-krautrockers will probably find this boring.

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 01:49 AM
Fuck! I didn't think it'd fill up that fast. I had 3 picks and was gonna narrow them after work today.

Oh well, I was gonna go with Chrome's "Nova Feedback" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp4vVV85lhI). At least wait until you get past the 45-second weird intro before giving up...it's a pretty sweet, slow jam after that, though you anti-krautrockers will probably find this boring.

Good one. Chrome is awesome.

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 02:28 AM
I am having trouble locating:

A Una Rosa - Ernst Reijseger

Anyone have any suggestions?

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Kid Koala - "Space Cadet 2"

Sweet - Kid Koala is out there. Good stuff. Listen to Kid 606?

Russ
08-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Jesus Christ. You're picking all my stuff. Love Kid Koala, Loooooooove Kid 606. Gimme a theme where I can submit GQ on the EQ or his My Kitten remix by Hrvåtski.

Bliss.

origami_mustache
08-30-2008, 03:47 AM

love Kid Koala and he is great live...just wish he would be more prolific...Kid 606 is OK

Melville
08-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Never heard of him. I'll check him out.

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 03:12 PM
There is another track I can't find:

We Travel the Spaceways - none of the torrents work, and it is only available for purchase from Amazon or iTunes as a whole album, and I don't like Sun Ra enough to own a whole album.

monolith, can you supply me with an MP3?

I have all the others.

Just missing 2: the Sun Ra track and A Una Rosa - found 2 torrents for this, but no seeds.

Russ
08-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Just missing 2: the Sun Ra track and A Una Rosa - found 2 torrents for this, but no seeds.
No luck yet, D?

Duncan
08-31-2008, 07:45 PM
No luck yet, D?

I'm about to email him a copy of A Una Rosa.

monolith94
08-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah D, give me a sec to upload the mp3.

monolith94
08-31-2008, 09:04 PM
http://uploadfile2.putfile.com/getfile/1202092920video1234sslash24317 002975.mp3

Russ
08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
This is going to be a really good mix. I eagerly await Space, Vol. 2.

;)

thanks, D

D_Davis
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm about to email him a copy of A Una Rosa.

Haven't gotten it yet...

http://uploadfile2.putfile.com/getfile/1202092920video1234sslash24317 002975.mp3

Never mind, got it this one.

D_Davis
08-31-2008, 10:58 PM
This is going to be a really good mix. I eagerly await Space, Vol. 2.

;)

thanks, D

I've taken some artistic liberty with the track ordering in order to make it flow better.

Duncan
09-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Haven't gotten it yet...Yeah, sorry. I have a ridiculously slow/tenuous internet connection here at home, and sometimes it just dies before a large attachment can be sent. Trying again right now.

D_Davis
09-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Alright, so I've got all the tracks now. I'll be putting this together soon.

Russ
09-02-2008, 04:42 PM
soon
Tease.

D_Davis
09-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Tease.

It'll be ready tonight or tomorrow night.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Can I call organizing the third mix? We probably should give each mix a week starting with it's download link posting before compiling next one.

D_Davis
09-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Can I call organizing the third mix? We probably should give each mix a week starting with it's download link posting before compiling next one.

Sure thing. I don't think anyone claimed it in the previous thread.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Sure thing. I don't think anyone claimed it in the previous thread.

Cool. I'll start brainstorming a theme.

Spinal
09-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Cool. I'll start brainstorming a theme.

Suggestion: ghosts.

Duncan
09-02-2008, 08:49 PM
It occurs to me that I should have submitted "The Frontier Index" by Silver Jews. That's an awesome song.

Of all the people I knew
I always looked up to you
and after millions of years of crime
the sun still shines and shines

Look a horse (named Divorce) gallops thru the desert light
I make such good time through sub-space
when I dream all day and ride all night

A robot walks into a bar
orders a drink
lays down a bill
The bartender says, hey we don't serve robots
and the robot says, oh but someday you will

Prisons a good time for some
many people get caught with a gun
This trucker says it's good to be free
says he knows lots of folks who agree

Bumperstickers talk to him
say "let the stars get in your eyes"
Time, cum, sand, and surf
these are the building blocks of life

Boy wants a car from his Dad
Dad says, first you gotta cut that hair
Boy says, hey Dad Jesus had long hair
and Dad says
that's right son but Jesus walked everywhere

When I was younger I was a cobra
in every case I wanted to be cool
Now that I'm older and sub-space is colder
I just want to say something true

Word.

D_Davis
09-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Suggestion: ghosts.

Interesting suggestion.

Sven
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
I think a week may be a bit too quick, but in any case, I totally want to do one after Jorge. So get in line, bitches.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-02-2008, 10:02 PM
I think a week may be a bit too quick, but in any case, I totally want to do one after Jorge. So get in line, bitches.

I meant a week before creating a thread and taking users choices, so probably two weeks between each mix actually being posted for download.

D_Davis
09-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I think I will wait even a couple more days before uploading this one - just so people can have a good chance to listen to the last one. I'm still enjoying the last mix quite a bit.

Lasse
09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Tease.

Seconded.

:P

Kurosawa Fan
09-02-2008, 11:58 PM
I think I will wait even a couple more days before uploading this one - just so people can have a good chance to listen to the last one. I'm still enjoying the last mix quite a bit.

I do not approve.

D_Davis
09-03-2008, 04:47 AM
Okay, tis ready:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MACEDH65

The track order is not yet reflected in the first post. I will update this tomorrow sometime.

Thanks for the good songs, it's a cool mix.

Lasse
09-03-2008, 08:10 AM
You used a different version for my song. Damn Trentemøller for remixing his own songs so frequently. :)

Saya
09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Great work, D!

I just finished downloading the sonsg and will listen to it later.

D_Davis
09-03-2008, 01:08 PM
You used a different version for my song. Damn Trentemøller for remixing his own songs so frequently. :)

There were like 5 versions of this song!

I like the song though, and will probably check out the album.

Kurosawa Fan
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Downloading as we speak. I'm excited for more critiquing!!!

Sven
09-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Listened through it twice now. First of all, I'm glad there was a relative absence of ambient stuff. Generally I tend to side with what Spinal said: just give me a song and let's move this thing forward. I do think there's a time and place for meditative wallowing in sonic design, but I find that in the midst of mixtapes is not the greatest placement for those type of pieces. So again, I was very happy that my expectations were shattered in this regard: lots of real fun, funky, jazzy stuff. Definitely an improvement on the last mix (did Spinal's Helium track not make it?). Here is my itemized response, listed from songs I dislike the most to songs I liked the most:

Structure of Ambient Life - Diatonis: Given the placement of this song in relation to the songs immediately underneath it here, you can note a confirmation of my ambivalence toward ambiance. It's zone-out music, where I much prefer engagement. I like to take trips as much as anyone, but why reach for hums and echos when you can shake ya' ass? *

Charlotte's Mouth - Seefeel: This was the most disappointing track, because it sounds like it has promise, but instead settles for nauseating repetition. Sounds like the kind of thing they'd play behind a car commercial trying to be cool. *

Movements of a Visionary - Tangerine Dream: A more engaging brand of ambiance than the two above, still not my thing. *1/2

Space Cadet 2 - Kid Koala: I like where this one starts going, but then it kinda just starts to shuffle around. **

Weight - Isis: Man... no more long songs. I do like the escalating nature of this beast, though. **

Moan - Trentemoller: Lasse, what's it with you and this breathy female vocal stuff? Pretty neat song, though I imagine not the most flattering mix. **1/2

Great Stone - King Tubby: Not a huge fan of reggae, but this is weird enough to engage. ***

Everything below this line I, like, hugely hugely love and gets four stars

Planet Collision - Man or Astro-Man?: Again, not a huge fan of this band, but this is song is a collision course of surf's up.

Walking on the Moon - Lucia Pamela: What can I say? Hilarious and groovy.

A una Rosa - Ernst Reijseger: Listening to this, I was taken back to beneath the frozen water in Herzog's Wild Blue Yonder. Beautiful and heavy.

Mystery - The Olivia Tremor Control: Moody.

Time and Space - Digable Planets: Digable.

Space Odyssey - Akbar: Bumpable.

In the Year 2000 - Lucia Pamela: What a strange, strange woman. The clarinet gets mondo props.

Calling Occupants - The Carpenters: This song is hilarious and ridiculous and wonderful. That woman's got great pitch. Love the strings.

It Came Out of the Sky - CCR: As I said before, this is one of, if not my favorite Creedence track. I love these guys: raw and rough and growly with some great licks.

We Travel the Spaceways - Sun Ra: Pretty much a tie with the next four tracks for best track on the mix. So much atmosphere, and that voice!

Yours Truly, 2095 - ELO: I've heard this song so many times and I can't get enough of it. I love the story, and the production is so much fun. Jeff Lynne is one of my heroes.

A Love from Outer Space - AR Kane: Who are these guys? This is incredible!!

Space Walk - Lemon Jelly: Love it so much. Can't really describe my appreciation for it much beyond a wide-eyed embrace of its uninhibited grooviness.

For the record, the star ratings really only reflect the songs as they are contextualized in the mix itself. There's a good chance that the four star songs would remain so on their own, but the songs with lower ratings probably would have an entirely different evaluation in different circumstances. I do not hate ambient music; I am not blind to the appeal of soundscapery.

D_Davis
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Boo for ambient-music dislike. It's the best kind of music.

Dammit - I did miss the Helium track! Sorry Spinal, nothing personal, it's a great choice. I forgot the MP3 at work, and when I was compiling the stuff at home it just slipped my mind. Sorry dude!

Sven
09-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Boo for ambient-music dislike. It's the best kind of music.

I qualified my ambivalence adequately, I think. I don't dislike it. It's a preference issue.

Kurosawa Fan
09-03-2008, 03:25 PM
w00t! Iosos approval on both choices!

D_Davis
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I qualified my ambivalence adequately, I think. I don't dislike it. It's a preference issue.

Oh, totally.

I was wondering how the more ambient music on this comp. would sit with the general consensus. I bet more people like to rock and bop more than sit and chill.

If forced to choose one style of music to listen to for the rest of my life, I would choose ambient music. For me, it is the most cerebral and most challenging music, and open to the most diverse listening opportunities. I listen to ambient music in the morning while drinking coffee and eating breakfast, while reading, all day at work, on the bus ride home, when I get home and relax, while writing, while reading, again, and then while falling asleep. Ambient music, music with densely atmospheric soundcapes, is the soundtrack to my life, and really fits with my laid back, easy going personality, and complements most of the things I enjoy. It's peaceful, spiritual, and calming, three things I try to be.

And dang it, I feel really bad for missing Spinal's choice. I hope he doesn't hate me... :(

Horbgorbler
09-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Lucia Pamela is a goddess.

D_Davis
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Lucia Pamela is a goddess.

I was expecting you to chime in with a Lucia song!

You disappointed me man, so I had to add a couple bonus tracks.

Horbgorbler
09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I was expecting you to chime in with a Lucia song!

You disappointed me man, so I had to add a couple bonus tracks.

I never saw this thread until it was too late. :(

But I'll definitely make sure to add to the next ones, 'cuz this is a great idea.

Wryan
09-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Suggested new theme: Serial Killers/Killing.

A thinly veiled excuse to post Sufjan Stevens's "John Wayne Gacy, Jr."

Kurosawa Fan
09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
A thinly veiled excuse to post Sufjan Stevens's "John Wayne Gacy, Jr."

:|

Wryan
09-03-2008, 05:39 PM
:|

Neutral on the song?

I'm afraid that makes me :| on you.

Kurosawa Fan
09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Nope, not neutral. I think the song is the very definition of nauseating. Sappy lyrics, obnoxious whispery singing, boring composition. Blech. I can't stand it.

Horbgorbler
09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Neutral on the song?

I'm afraid that makes me :| on you.

I'm straight up :frustrated:/:evil: when it comes to "Casimir Pulaski Day."

Wryan
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
"Predatory Wasp"? "Night Zombies"? "Great God Bird"?

I'm :confused:.

"You make me sad. Come Patsy!"

Raiders
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Nope, not neutral. I think the song is the very definition of nauseating. Sappy lyrics, obnoxious whispery singing, boring composition. Blech. I can't stand it.

I'm sorry, but there's no way that song has sappy lyrics and whispery singing. In fact, I would say that is objectively incorrect.

But, I'm not hijacking this thread.

I'm downloading this mix now. Hope it is as good as the last one. I do really like ambient music. In fact, I was trying to see if any of Brian Eno's songs on his Apollo album would work in isolation well enough to be used, but ultimately I couldn't decide and went in the opposite direction.

Wryan
09-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm sorry, but there's no way that song has sappy lyrics and whispery singing. In fact, I would say that is objectively incorrect.

rofl

D_Davis
09-03-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm downloading this mix now. Hope it is as good as the last one. I do really like ambient music. In fact, I was trying to see if any of Brian Eno's songs on his Apollo album would work in isolation well enough to be used, but ultimately I couldn't decide and went in the opposite direction.

I almost picked a song from this, but went with Diatonis instead.

Kurosawa Fan
09-03-2008, 05:52 PM

You're kidding right? If that song doesn't have whispery singing, then there's no such thing. As for the sappy lyrics, I'll leave it up to the people to decide, but boy oh boy do we disagree. The song opens with this gem:

His father was a drinker
And his mother cried in bed
Folding John Wayne's T-shirts
When the swingset hit his head
The neighbors they adored him
For his humor and his conversation
Look underneath the house there
Find the few living things
Rotting fast in their sleep of the dead
Twenty-seven people, even more
They were boys with their cars, summer jobs
Oh my God

Oh my God is right. When paired with his whispery voice "on the verge of tears", it's insufferable. And I enjoy that album very much as a whole.

Wryan
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
We could fill a thesis-assisted thread with lyrics that seem deadeningly wrong/off/bad/awkward but sound fine once sung. I understand not liking his voice or delivery though. I find the song grossly intimate and rather poignant.

Raiders
09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I guess my definition of "sappy" is more linked to the emotion of love. My wife actually finds the lyrics rather disturbing, especially when he so plainly speaks of Gacy's methods of killing the boys.

origami_mustache
09-03-2008, 10:19 PM
favorites after first listen excluding my own submission:

both Lucia Pamela tracks
Sun Ra
Ernst Reijseger
The Olivia Tremor Control
The Carpenters

the A.R. Kane song is the only thing I flat out don't like

D_Davis
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
The Ernst Reijseger is my favorite track - I need to get this album.

The only track I don't like is the Sun Ra track.

Sven
09-03-2008, 10:54 PM
the A.R. Kane song is the only thing I flat out don't like

The only track I don't like is the Sun Ra track.

Nuts, both of you.

Acapelli
09-04-2008, 12:39 AM
A Love from Outer Space - AR Kane: Who are these guys? This is incredible!!
two of the guys from MARRS (of Pump Up the Volume fame) genre-hopping musical endeavor. their music ranges from synth-pop, to dream pop, to post-punk, to dub

needless to say it's really awesome

monolith94
09-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Some initial thoughts on the first half:

Walking On the Moon – Bizzare, late night radio, cats, out of time.

Planet Collision – Generic, polished, sample reminds me of emo-track samples, quaffable.

It Came Out of the Sky – I've heard that bassline somewhere before. I like the lazy guitar sound around 1:20. Fun.

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft – Aliens need cough drops. A synthesizer composed of sugar molecules. Strange, arbitrary word choice, which is curious. Guitar solo would be nice to hear in a daft punk song.

A Love From Outer Space – background chirping effect very B-52sish. Deja écouté. Good for an 80s period piece OST. Surprisingly long.

Time & Space (A New Refutation Of) – Head-bop. Sax sample, very sweet, very hip. Almost too mellow?

Great Stone – I like the production style of this song. Good, good reggae.

Charlotte's Mouth – Starcraft. More minimalist Portishead. Reminds me of good ol' days listening to random electronica. Good background tune.

Structure of Ambient Life – 12 Monkeys. Blade Runner. Reminds me of a building I imagined once. Brown note. Much more interesting than the Aphex Twin ambient music cd that someone lent me once.

Movements Of A Visionary – This one's more like a Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri background track. I can imagine Morgan Nabudekwe conducting a business meeting to something like this. Overstays its welcome, although the use of organ sounds is nice.

We Travel The Spaceways – Pure, unadulterated genius. Like a drunken bacchanal slowly orbiting Polaris. Like an ecstatic dream lost in the mist of the morning hours. Honest, forward, and forthright music.

thoughts on the second half to follow tomorrow.

D_Davis
09-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Structure of Ambient Life – 12 Monkeys. Blade Runner. Reminds me of a building I imagined once. Brown note. Much more interesting than the Aphex Twin ambient music cd that someone lent me once.

For sure. Aphex Twin's ambient stuff is only so-so.

Diatonis has been my go to composer for my book reading soundtrack needs. His music perfectly compliments any number of cyberpunk and dystopian SF novels. I can't listen to this album now and not think of Richard Paul RUsso, JG Ballard, and others. I associate the Eno and Budd stuff in the same way with Philip K. Dick - Ambient 2 is my soundtrack for Dick books.

Boner M
09-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Charlotte's Mouth - Seefeel: This was the most disappointing track, because it sounds like it has promise, but instead settles for nauseating repetition. Sounds like the kind of thing they'd play behind a car commercial trying to be cool. *
:sad:

Also, car commercials use lots of good music, esp. when they're trying to be cool.

Winston*
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
That AR Kane song is an assault of horribleness unto my ears.

Lasse
09-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Moan - Trentemoller: Lasse, what's it with you and this breathy female vocal stuff? Pretty neat song, though I imagine not the most flattering mix. **1/2

I think I'll go in another direction for the next Mixtape. :lol:

I do like the version that D_Davis used for the mix, but this is the version that I had in mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4f6kRnEH8

For the record, it's the same vocalist, Ane Trolle. Lately, she's been appearing on every hit single in Denmark.

Spinal
09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
This is the song I submitted. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9iK1q-0xKI)

D_Davis
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
This is the song I submitted. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9iK1q-0xKI)

:sad:

Russ
09-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I'll comment on all of them soon, but right now I can definitely say that the Ernst Reijseger and Sun Ra > everything else. Lemon Jelly and Digable Planets not too far behind.

Of course, I like everything, nothing that I vehemently dislike. Great job, Matchcutters. And props to D for putting the mix together and, again, Origami for the idea.

Duncan
09-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Glad people are liking ol' Ernst.

I haven't gotten all the way through it yet. Probably tomorrow at work.

Ezee E
09-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I'll pass on this mix. Sorry D.

transmogrifier
09-04-2008, 11:21 PM
When's the next one? I love recommending stuff.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-05-2008, 12:21 AM
When's the next one? I love recommending stuff.

I am going to do the third one and I'll put at the thread up the beginning of next week.

bac0n
09-05-2008, 01:12 AM
I gotta say - this is one of the most enjoyable series of threads I've seen on this site in a long long time. A big hear! hear! to origami_moustache for getting this thing going.

Russ
09-05-2008, 02:07 AM
I gotta say - this is one of the most enjoyable series of threads I've seen on this site in a long long time. A big hear! hear! to origami_moustache for getting this thing going.
Yes indeedy. I'm considering a second round of rep.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-05-2008, 04:53 AM
gave the whole thing a good listen.

Love: King Tubby, Akbar

Like: CCR, ELO, Lemon Jelly, Digible Planets, Olivia Tremor Control, Seefeel, Sun Ra, Kid Koala, Ernst Reijseger, Isis, Diatonis

On the fence: Man or Astro-man?, Tangerine Dream, Trentemoller

Hate: AR Kane, Lucia Pamela (x2), The Carpenters

Boner M
09-05-2008, 10:19 AM
The hate for the AR Kane track is baffling.

Sven
09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
The hate for the AR Kane track is baffling.

Agreed. After more listens, I think it's actually my favorite.

Raiders
09-05-2008, 01:21 PM
The Carpenters

Ridiculous.

Boner M
09-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Agreed. After more listens, I think it's actually my favorite.
It makes me wanna dance and make out with boys.

Sven
09-05-2008, 01:38 PM
It makes me wanna dance and make out with boys.

Ummm... me too?

*boogies a little closer to Boner*

Boner M
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
*boogies a little closer to Boner*
Saucy!

bac0n
09-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I enjoyed this mix a whole lot better than the last one. Top Job putting it together Dynamite D! The pacing and song order was flawless, with how it quickly grabs attention with some eclectic and aggressive songs, slows things down in the middle, then comes to a crescendo in the end with a great series of songs.

Walking On The Moon - Lucia Pamela :: Silly and Charming, in a grandmotherly sort of way, with just the right amount of burlesque.

Planet Collision - Man or Astro-Man? :: My fave song of theirs. This would make a great entrance theme for a luchadore.

It Came Out Of The Sky - CCR :: Can't go wrong with CCR. I love how their sound encompasses everything that is right about blue collar America. Honest, accessible, fun and gritty.

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft - The Carpenters :: Didn't like this as much the first listen through, but the more I think about it, the more I come to this conclusion: if aliens were to arrive on Earth, and we wanted to make contact with them, I think about the least threatening message we could convey would be playing them a Carpenters song.

A Love From Outer Space - A.R. Kane :: My only problems with this song are with the vocal track. First, the singer doesn't have the skill to be singing the way he is, and it shows. Secondly, the two voices singing at once too often sound sloppy. I like everything else well enough. Lots of interesting ear candy to be enjoyed once I tune out the vocals.

Time & Space - Digable Planets :: Love this track. Love this album. Love staring at Ladybug. Rowr. I love these guys and how they brought such a beatnik vibe to hip-hop, and it's on full display here. I also loved staring at Ladybug. Rowr.

Great Stone - King Tubby & Soul Syndicate :: Interesting track. Liked it well enough.

Charlotte's Mouth - Seefeel :: Pleasant track, liked the fluttering effect on the guitar. This is the sorta track I more likely would have on in the background to try and establish a particular mood, more than listen to it intently like I would other songs.

Structure of Ambient Life - Diatonis :: Oh so relaxing... so... nice... so... relaxi...*snore*

Movements of a Visionary - Tangerine Dream :: Very interesting sonics. Much more trippy than what I'm used to from Tangerine Dream. Good music to have on in the background at the planetarium.

We Travel The Spaceways - Sun Ra & Co. :: Seems like the sort of interlude that bands like De La Soul put between their other songs to sorta fill up space. The trumpet woulda sounded much better if it were to have been softened with a mute. Its sharpness clashed with the singer's voice.

Space Cadet 2 - Kid Koala :: Interesting song, but not my favorite of his. Like the beeping in the background, sorta like a satellite slowly approaching and then passing by and off into the distance.

A Una Rosa - Ernst Reijseger :: a beautiful track, heartbreaking in a way. The piercing vocals that come in at about 2:00 are harsh at first, but strangely start to work really quickly, lending this an almost sacred feel.

Weight - Isis :: A decent enough track. Don't really have much more to say than that.

Space Odyssey :: Akbar - Pretty pedestrian hip-hop. He claims he has a voice as unforgettable as James Earl Jones. I beg to differ.

Moan - Trentmoller :: Great track :: Folks who like this might wanna check out the band Venus Hum, as I find many similarities between this sound and theirs. I like the minimalist glitch-style beats in the background.

Space Walk - Lemon Jelly :: Wow, another great track. I love the drumbeat, that seems like they took the downbeat and shifted it two beats to the right, so that the drums and piano seem to almost be taking turns leapfrogging over each other. I have only one Lemon Jelly album and I love it. This song reminds me that I need to check out more of their stuff.

Mystery - The Olivia Tremor Control :: Interesting track. Hard to tell which decade it's from with the strange mix of instruments, themes and styles. Which is a good thing. The silliness at the end is a high point.

Yours Truly, 2095 - ELO :: Probably my favorite track on the entire album. Man, I just can't get enough of that ELO sound. These guys were so far ahead of their time. Catchy tune, fun and tongue & cheek.

In The Year 2000!!! - Lucia Pamela :: Um... Silly and Charming, in a grandmotherly sort of way, with just the right amount of burlesque?

Sven
09-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Yours Truly, 2095 - ELO :: Probably my favorite track on the entire album. Man, I just can't get enough of that ELO sound. These guys were so far ahead of their time. Catchy tune, fun and tongue & cheek.

:) :) :)

Russ
09-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Really enjoying this mix, D. Some more thoughts..

Stuff I was already familiar with:

Lucia Pamela Of course I love Lucia. A true one-of-a-kind "talent" and she will always have a place in my music library.

CCR - It Came Out of the Sky Well, it's a classic, can't add much more to that. I really like how these mixes not only span musical categories, but also eras...

Carpenters - Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Really nice tune, even though it is overproduced and quite dated as a result. Still, its got Karen's pipes and a memorable melody.

King Tubby and Soul Syndicate I love what Tubby did with this tune, taking the solid rhythm foundation and, by bringing it to the front of the mix, turning it into a driving, pulsating force. Probably not as impressive today, especially in the context of modern mixology, but you can appreciate his studio wizardry by checking out the original tune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKQRM-3ylXI) in its unaltered state.

Seefeel - Charlotte's Mouth An ambient stalwart, tho Seefeel's appeal has always eluded me. I do like this tune ok, tho it's not my favorite of theirs. And I do love good ambient music (I have enough of it in my collection), but this song does seem a bit too aimless. That's probably a poor criticism on my part, because much of my ambient could be classified as aimless, so...I just wish this song gave me more than tone and ghostly vocals.

Stuff that's new to me:

Man or Astro-man? - Planet Collision Surf music and B-movie samples = pretty good in my book. Love the wobbly distort-o-sound!

A.R. Kane - A Love from Outer Space Starts out well enough, but, ugh, that (c)rap about 1/3 way into it ruins it for me. I don't hate it, tho.

Digable Planets - Time & Space I've been playing this song over and over, love it. Totally agree with KF's description. Love that start-stop rhythm.

Diatonis - Structure of Ambient Life This is a quality piece, I really like it a lot. However, I can see how it’s difficult for a quiet mood piece like this to stand out amongst the diverse and more upbeat tunes.

Tangerine Dream – Movements of a Visionary Always liked these guys, but was unfamiliar with this. Like D’s selection, this is awesome with the headphones. Dreamy, quite nice.

Sun Ra - We Travel the Spaceways Rather than flail away with the superlatives, I'll just make a mental note to * acquire more Sun Ra stuff * Dude was a wacked-out genius, and I have a special place in my heart for folks like that.

Kid Koala - Space Cadet 2 Like most of his stuff, this is ok, but I know he can do much better (if you don't believe me, go download Scratchcratchratchatch (http://monkey.org/%7Epheezy/audio/00-misc/kid_koala-scratchcratchratchatch-01.MP3) right now). I don't think his studio stuff can touch his live material. Still, I'm on KK's frequency, and this was a nice, mellow groove. Just wish it were longer.

Ernst Reijseger - A una Rosa Hands down, my favorite on this mix. This track was so awesome, and the Herzog music comparison was apropos.

Isis - Weight I like the slow buildup, but like the Seefeel track, it doesn't do very much with its own template.

Akbar – Space Odyssey I like this (especially the backing string track). I don’t think he’s a great rapper, and he certainly seems to think a lot of himself, but I can think of worse ways to spend four minutes.

Trentemøller – Moan I greatly prefer the mix that Lasse linked to earlier in the thread. But what is it with these breathy Danish divas? :)

Lemon Jelly – Space Walk Great song, love, love, love it. Had no idea Lemon Jelly had such a large discography (esp. since I had never even heard of them). Many thanks for clueing me in to these guys.

The Olivia Tremor Control - Mystery Cool song. Has this weird 60's vibe, or maybe its just the drugs..

ELO – Yours Truly, 2095 It bugs me, this song reminds me so much of another song (the vocals especially). So similar, that somebody’s guilty of plagiarism. I dunno, maybe Lynne’s ripping himself off and I’m thinking of another of his songs. Oh, good tune, iosos.

Helium – Leon’s Space Song – Seriously, this sounds like Gary Numan (circa Replicas) but with female vocals. Very, very nice. Wish it had made the mix. :cry:

Kurosawa Fan
09-06-2008, 02:14 AM
All credit for Digable Planets should really go to Benny Profane. Without his urging I still might never have discovered their awesomeness.

Winston*
09-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Digable Planets = the most white person accesible hip hop ever made by black people? I know my dad likes them.

Sven
09-06-2008, 03:20 AM
All credit for Digable Planets should really go to Benny Profane. Without his urging I still might never have discovered their awesomeness.

You didn't grow up with them?! Dude, you missed out.

Sven
09-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Ernst Reijseger - A una Rosa Hands down, my favorite on this mix. This track was so awesome, and the Herzog music comparison was apropos.

...namely because the dude scored a Herzog movie. ;)

Russ
09-06-2008, 03:23 AM
...namely because the dude scored a Herzog movie. ;)
SuperHerzogMan has good taste!

Kurosawa Fan
09-06-2008, 04:37 AM
You didn't grow up with them?! Dude, you missed out.

'Fraid not. I had the misfortune of walking in my older brother's footsteps and instead listening to Eazy-E. Though that led to NWA, Public Enemy, and various others. Never made it to Digable Planets.

origami_mustache
09-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Glad to see the mixtape idea and Lemon Jelly song were so well received...thanks for the great submissions everyone.

monolith94
09-06-2008, 05:58 AM
more thoughts…

Space Cadet 2 – Intriguing. I kind of like it. It could use more instrumentation and less speech sampling, but that's nitpicking. Solid.

A una Rosa – Ah, some tonal dissonance. A voice comes in that reminds me of a Qawwali singer. A very nice balance of elements. Like others, I'd say that this is a highlight.

Weight – I might be too tired to listen to this track with the appreciation it deserves? At around the five minute mark it gets to be a bit dreary, generic, and full of sound and fury. But signifying… what?

Space Odyssey – It's good, and it's fun, but honestly, hearing this just makes me wish I were listening to Deltron. The more I listen to it, though, the easier it is to groove to. So all in all, pretty good, even though there could be a bit more instrumental variation.

Moan (Vocal Version Featuring Ane Trolle) – Another track that reminds me somewhat of Portishead. Fine background music, but it's not setting me on fire.

Space Walk – I've been listening to this track for years and years, countless numbers of times. I know it, suffice it to say, intimately. This used to be on the playlist I cooked up for playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Sooo many hours of this and "Nice Weather for Ducks".

Mystery – Kinda breezed through this one. Not much to say. It's kind of lethargic without being hip or original enough, in my opinion, for that lethargy to be successful. It's not painful or anything, just not my cup of tea.

Yours Truly, 2095 – These guys are synthaholics! For the longest time I've avoided ELO for the simple reason that whenever I hear their name I think of Styx. This song isn't nearly as bad as Styx though. So it's got that. Plus, IBM is in the lyrics, and my dad worked at IBM. I swear to god, though, that if I hear the phrase "cold as ice" one more time, I'm going to punch an octogenarian. Most overused phrase ever.

In the Year 2,000!!! – Really like the clarinet on this track. That person has chops. Another bizzaro track nowhere near poorly performed, lackadaisical singing style aside. Not as funny as the first track, but I think more enjoyable.

transmogrifier
09-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Digable Planets = the most white person accesible hip hop ever made by black people? I know my dad likes them.

A Tribe Called Quest?

Ezee E
09-06-2008, 12:16 PM
A Tribe Called Quest?
That answer is actually The Roots.

Boner M
09-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Dilated Peoples would be my answer, but I assume we mean 'most accessible to white folk while still remaining good', so I'd pick The Coup.

Sven
09-06-2008, 02:02 PM
The Coup.

Nah. Everything that makes The Coup digable, Digable Planets does better. The Coup is a little too militant to be accessible to those that do not like rap.

Kurosawa Fan
09-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Listened twice through. My rankings:

1. A Una Rosa - Ernst Reijseger - Amazing. That gray matter on the floor around me is my brains.
2. Moan - Trentemoller - Beautiful song. Breathy female vocalists please me.
3. Space Walk - Lemon Jelly - Wow. Very cool. Unusual and creative, certainly makes me eager to seek out more of their work.
4. Space Cadet 2 - Kid Koala - Very fun, while still remaining mellow. I really dig his style.
5. Your Truly, 2095 - Electric Light Orchestra - ELO = :cool: . Nothing more needs to be said.
6. Planet Collision - Man or Astro-Man? - Very cool mix of surfer rock and... garage rock I guess. I really like this one.
7. Space Odyssey - Akbar - Kurious Jorge and I seem to have the same taste in hip hop. This is fantastic.
8. It Came Out of the Sky - CCR - I saw CCR live. They didn't play this, but still, I saw them live. I'm a fan.
9. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft - The Carpenters - Was not expecting to enjoy this, but it gelled nicely with me. Her voice is amazing, and it's nice to hear it in a far less sappy song than the usual.
10. We Travel The Spaceways – Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Arkestra - I really like this song, but I do wish it went somewhere. I'm probably rating it higher than I should because it works and makes me want to seek them out, but the song, after such a promising start, is a bit disappointing.
11. Mystery - The Olivia Tremor Control - I quite like this one. Pleasant vocals with a spacy, ethereal sound. Very nice.
12. Great Stone – King Tubby - I'm not a big fan of reggae. I find too much of it lacks creativity (much like ska), but this one was nice.
13. Weight - Isis - Here's where the list loses its appeal a bit. Ambient is not my thing. Too often I find it boring. This one builds to something, picking up steam as it goes along, but it takes too long getting there.
14. Structure of Ambient Life - Diatonis - This one has a great sound, kind of somber and eerie at the same time, but it overstays its welcome and I just end up tuning out.
15 & 16. Both Lucia Pamela songs - They're cute and kinda fun, but nothing I would seek out to listen to.
17. A Love From Outer Space - A.R. Kane - Would have ranked much higher were it not for that "rap" in the middle of the song. Just awful.
18. Movements Of A Visionary - Tangerine Dream - Nice sound, but again, goes on way too long and I lose interest. Much like most ambient music.
19. Charlotte's Mouth - Seefeel - Unfortunately, this one didn't work for me at all. I didn't care for anything about it. Sorry boner.

Overall, I liked the last mix more than this one. Too much of this felt the same. I like the variety of a mix without the theme controlling things.

Boner M
09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I hate you, KF.

Boner M
09-06-2008, 02:24 PM
But really, no one thought the Seefeel was anything more than just 'kinda pleasant in a muzak-y kinda way'? It's one of my very favorite ambient tracks ever, just as effective to intently listen to as well as let it slip into the background. *shrug*

Boner M
09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Anyway, I'll quickly divide everything into categories:

Love: Tangerine Dream, AR Kane, Carpenters, King Tubby, Sun Ra, Ernst Reijseger

Like: Lemon Jelly, CCR, Olivia Tremor Control, ELO, Lucia Pamela, Isis, Man or Astro-Man?

OK: Akbar, Digable Planets, Trentemøller, Kid Koala

Eh: Diatonis

Only the Reijseger, AR Kane and Carpenters tracks count as revelations. Pretty good stuff all round, tho.

Boner M
09-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I realise this is my 4th post in a row, but I propose our next mix theme be 2 minute or less songs.

Kurosawa Fan
09-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I hate you, KF.

Digable Planets slipped a notch after my critique of your song, didn't they?

Boner M
09-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Digable Planets slipped a notch after my critique of your song, didn't they?
My cover's blown. :sad:

D_Davis
09-06-2008, 03:14 PM
But really, no one thought the Seefeel was anything more than just 'kinda pleasant in a muzak-y kinda way'? It's one of my very favorite ambient tracks ever, just as effective to intently listen to as well as let it slip into the background. *shrug*

I like it. Been listening to them for years.

Boner M
09-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I like it. Been listening to them for years.

OMFG BEST THING EVAH: Diatonis

Love: Tangerine Dream, AR Kane, Carpenters, King Tubby, Sun Ra, Ernst Reijseger

Like: Lemon Jelly, CCR, Olivia Tremor Control, ELO, Lucia Pamela, Isis, Man or Astro-Man?

OK: Akbar, Digable Planets, Trentemøller, Kid Koala

D_Davis
09-06-2008, 03:21 PM
OMFG BEST THING EVAH: Diatonis

That's more like it.

transmogrifier
09-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Dilated Peoples would be my answer, but I assume we mean 'most accessible to white folk while still remaining good', so I'd pick The Coup.

Are you saying ATCQ ain't good?

[/shakes fist]

Boner M
09-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Are you saying ATCQ ain't good?

[/shakes fist]
No, I mean that Dilated Peoples aren't good. Bad wording on my part.