PDA

View Full Version : Discuss the Musics Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Sven
11-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Apparently Bob Dylan had intercourse with, and simultaneously is, KF's wife.

Discuss.

Kurosawa Fan
11-01-2007, 11:54 PM
If only.

Sycophant
11-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Apparently Bob Dylan had intercourse with, and simultaneously is, KF's wife.

Discuss.
I am skeptical until there is visual, audio, and preferrably smellable proof.

Marley
11-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Favorite albums of 2007? Here's a few of mine:

Stars - In Our Bedroom After the War
St. Vincent - Marry Me
Matthew Good - Hospital Music
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
M.I.A. - Kala
Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything

Sycophant
11-02-2007, 01:13 AM
People are constantly saying that cinema is dead, the short story is dead, the novel is dead, the comic strip is dead, the sitcom is dead, blah blah fucking blah.

Does anyone ever bother to say music is dead?

Sven
11-02-2007, 01:16 AM

I think I've said that before, but it was a phase, I think. The White Stripes convinced me that music was still good.

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2007, 01:18 AM
The internet is dead.

Sycophant
11-02-2007, 01:22 AM
I think I've said that before, but it was a phase, I think. The White Stripes convinced me that music was still good.Oh, yeah. I remember that phase.

I can't say I care much about music these days, but I recognize that's really just a phase.

monolith94
11-02-2007, 01:38 AM
In my grad school teaching of writing class, I had to teach a minilesson on a subject of my own choice. I chose the subject of literary tone. To illustrate it, I brought in copies of the lyrics to the Kinks' Waterloo Sunset, Do You Remember Walter? and David Watts.

It was fun.

Sven
11-02-2007, 02:14 AM
In my grad school teaching of writing class, I had to teach a minilesson on a subject of my own choice. I chose the subject of literary tone. To illustrate it, I brought in copies of the lyrics to the Kinks' Waterloo Sunset, Do You Remember Walter? and David Watts.

It was fun.

Awesome! Believe it or not, my initial first post for this thread was going to be something along the lines of:

"The Kinks rock.

Discuss."

You... are awesome.

monolith94
11-02-2007, 02:17 AM
I have, I think, almost half of their albums, and certainly of the ones I have I think I've got the critical ones. I think I'm going to listen to This Time Tomorrow now.

dreamdead
11-02-2007, 02:23 AM
I gave Carl Orff's Carmina Burana a whirl today after some time away. It's still wondrous.

Otherwise it's been Coaltar of the Deepers and Boris pretty much consistently.:cool:

Sven
11-02-2007, 02:36 AM
I have, I think, almost half of their albums, and certainly of the ones I have I think I've got the critical ones. I think I'm going to listen to This Time Tomorrow now.

I'm pretty sure I have all but maybe one or two, if any missing at all. This Time Tomorrow is from Lola v. Powerman, etc, one of their best, in my books, and that song is one I'd rank among their best.

MadMan
11-02-2007, 03:00 AM
I need to get up off my lazy ass and find time to drive out to Best Buy or Target and buy some new CDs. I haven't listened to anything new in quite a while.

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2007, 03:26 AM
Lola/Powerman is not only The Kinks best album, but one of the best albums in rock history. It's genius.

Ezee E
11-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Yeah. I still say that the best CD this year is White Stripes.

Justin
11-02-2007, 04:59 AM
I have liked a lot of albums from this year, but if I had to narrow it into a short list....

Spoon, M.I.A., Panda Bear, Radiohead, Justice, LCD, PJ, and of Montreal.

Derek
11-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Stylus is closing up shop for good, so they left us with an early top 50 of the year. Discuss, etc.

(My ratings, out of 5)

50. PJ Harvey - White Chalk ****
49. Paramore - Riot! N/A
48. Monkey Swallows the Universe - The Casket Letters N/A
47. 65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas N/A
46. The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism N/A
45. Strategy - Future Rock ***
44. Colleen - Les Ondes Silencieuses **1/2
43. Basteroid - Upset Ducks N/A
42. Calle 13 - Residente O Visitante N/A
41. Andy Palacio & The Garfuna Collective - Wátina N/A
40. Pantha Du Prince - This Bliss ****
39. UGK - Underground Kings N/A
38. Tinariwen - Aman Iman: Water is Life N/A
37. Devin The Dude - Waitin' to Inhale N/A
36. Marnie Stern - In Advance Of The Broken Arm ***1/2
35. Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position ***1/2
34. Dungen - Tio Bitar ***1/2
33. Stars Of The Lid - And The Refinement Of Their Decline ***1/2
32. Low - Drums and Guns **1/2
31. Menomena - Friend and Foe ****
30. El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead ***
29. Electrelane - No Shouts No Calls N/A
28. A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Scribble Mural Comic Journal *****
27. Of Montreal - Oh Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? ****1/2
26. Kathy Diamond - Miss Diamond to You **
25. Battles - Mirrored ****
24. Studio - West Coast N/A
23. !!! - Myth Takes ***1/2
22. Deepchord Presents Echospace - The Coldest Season N/A
21. Caribou - Andorra ***1/2 (should probably be ****, but all the weak songs are packed in the middle which is kinda frustrating)
20. Dalek - Abandoned Language *** (should listen again since shoegaze rap should be more awesome than this)
19. Liars - Liars ****1/2
18. Justice - Cross ***1/2
17. Grinderman - Grinderman ***1/2
16. The Besnard Lakes - Are the Dark Horse ***1/2
15. The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters ***1/2
14. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog ***1/2
13. Gui Boratto - Chromophobia ***1/2
12. Phosphorescent - Pride ****
11. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible ****
10. Radiohead - In Rainbows ****1/2
09. The Field - From Here We Go Sublime ****1/2
08. M.I.A. - Kala **
07. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga ***
06. Kanye West - Graduation ***1/2
05. The National - The Boxer ****
04. Lil Wayne - Da Drought 3 N/A
03. Panda Bear - Person Pitch ****1/2
02. Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend N/A
01. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver ***1/2

Justin
11-02-2007, 05:48 AM
Wow, really nice seeing The Avett Brothers on that list, that was another album I left off of my short list.

Marley
11-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Patrick Wolf and Arcade Fire are solid choices. I've got no complaints with #1.

monolith94
11-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Muswell Hillbillies is my favorite Kinks album. I dig its analog sound; I love the stories that it tells.

Horbgorbler
11-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I gave Carl Orff's Carmina Burana a whirl today after some time away. It's still wondrous.

I'm currently in the midst of acquiring the Clemencic Consort's recording of the original Carmina Burana texts on which Orff based his work. It should be great.

D_Davis
11-02-2007, 06:36 PM
This. Is. Awesome.

Robert Fripp to music industry, "suck it!"

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/30/fripp-lays-music-industry-rip

Where is the RIAA when one of their own breaks copyright law? Oh that's right, rules are for us, not them, silly me!

And speaking of Fripp and King Crimson, I had no idea you could order all kinds of live performances straight from them!

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=&show=&member=3&member=3

Henry Gale
11-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Haven't gotten to listen to too much outside of the more mainstream stuff from this year as of yet. But right now, my favourite albums from the year are probably:

1. Kanye West - Graduation
2. Radiohead - In Rainbows
3. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
4. Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
5. Rufus Wainwright - Release The Stars

Reading this thread has reminded of a lot of stuff I still need to check out. Except for M.I.A., because there is nothing in any of her music I have found to be anything other than nauseating.

bac0n
11-02-2007, 08:33 PM
....5. Rufus Wainwright - Release The Stars
I wasn't aware that Rufus had a new album out. How does it compare with his previous efforts? I was somewhat underwhelmed by Want Two.

Henry Gale
11-02-2007, 08:45 PM
I wasn't aware that Rufus had a new album out. How does it compare with his previous efforts? I was somewhat underwhelmed by Want Two.

I haven't heard Poses or the Wants in their entirety in a while, but listening to Release The Stars (especially the first time) I can't help but feel that it may be his best work to date.

bac0n
11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I haven't heard Poses or the Wants in their entirety in a while, but listening to Release The Stars (especially the first time) I can't help but feel that it may be his best work to date.

Wow. I may need to check it out then. Thanks!

Rowland
11-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Stylus is closing up shop for good
No!!

Derek
11-03-2007, 12:41 AM
No!!

I know it's sad. I really enjoyed their film reviews as well. Speaking of, they have their best films of the year (so far, obviously) up there too, so at least they left us with some good stuff to chew on.

DSNT
11-03-2007, 01:58 AM
Stylus will be missed, but that's a decent list to leave with.

Good to see The Besnard Lakes getting a little love. I'm fine with their #1 choice.

D_Davis
11-06-2007, 04:11 PM
There is a new Twin Peaks soundtrack out. It's music from the second season and more. It is very good.

Sven
11-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Tickets to The Magnetic Fields in February... purchased!

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 04:43 PM

This should be fun.

Cult
11-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Tickets to Puffy AmiYumi this Sunday...won through Vancouver's multicultural channel!

At least the fact that it's at a bar should cut down on the amount of 12 yr old Teen Titans fans in attendance.

Boner M
11-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I recently got my tix to Built to Spill, The Black Lips, SY playing Daydream Nation and Low playing Things We Lost in the Fire. :)

DSNT
11-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Low playing Things We Lost in the Fire. :)

Drooool .. Words cannot express how much I love that album. Don't suppose you'll be taping, will you?

Thirdmango
11-10-2007, 12:32 AM
People are constantly saying that cinema is dead, the short story is dead, the novel is dead, the comic strip is dead, the sitcom is dead, blah blah fucking blah.

Music genres are dead but music will never be dead. For instance Jazz is dead. There's no way to be inventive in Jazz anymore.

As for top albums of the year, though I haven't yet gone through the lists yet to make my own, currently my favorite album of the year is

Nine Inch Nails -- Year Zero

another which will easily be in my top five will be

Galactic -- From The Corner to the Block

If any of you want to listen to Hip Hop artists with a new orleans style band behind them, that cd is for you.

Boner M
11-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Drooool .. Words cannot express how much I love that album. Don't suppose you'll be taping, will you?
I'll consider it. I'm sure someone else will, or it'll get youtubed.

Acapelli
11-10-2007, 03:39 PM
They go on sale in 24 minutes here.

Acapelli
11-10-2007, 04:10 PM
They go on sale in 24 minutes here.
Sweet, got some nice tickets. First time for me at a seated show.

Llopin
11-10-2007, 06:40 PM
The other day I attended a Damon and Naomi show. Something I was meaning to do for a long time, since I'm a mangorrinic Galaxie500 fan and had never seen any of its members live. They played in a quiet, intimate theater, which fit perfectly their brutally fragile and kinda cathartic music, and afterwards I got to talk to them (and also Michio Kurihara, whose coolness I shall not remind you of) and they gave me a setlist... yay.

That was great. But even better was experimenting Ornette Coleman and his excellent band play one hour and a half of fresh, mindblowing jazz (which is far off from being dead). Beautiful is the word. How can this man give off these blasts of youth and innovation, these days, it's just so wonderful. Before leaving, he thanked us all for being there, and commented on how he hoped eternity would become "human", forever. I'll never forget that. That night.

Events coming up: Julie Doiron, High on Fire (+ Pelican), Library Tapes, Explosions in the Sky.

By the by, Polvo will be playing at ATP next year. Drooling, I am.

DSNT
11-10-2007, 06:58 PM
As much as I love G500, I could never get into Damon & Naomi. I guess they're so somber and slow that they pretty much put me to sleep.

Llopin
11-10-2007, 07:30 PM
As much as I love G500, I could never get into Damon & Naomi. I guess they're so somber and slow that they pretty much put me to sleep.

I think they have many wonderful compositions, but you need to really be in the mood in order to get inside their world. That said, their albums post-Ghost collaboration (that one included) are most consistent, and achieve moments of pure beauty - specially with Kurihara on guitar duties, I'm sometimes reminded of a darker, more visceral, drumless G500. Their last record, Within these Walls, is rather wonderful.

Lasse
11-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Bought tickets to Ace of Base. :twisted:

D_Davis
11-12-2007, 02:02 PM
The other day I attended a Damon and Naomi show. Something I was meaning to do for a long time, since I'm a mangorrinic Galaxie500 fan and had never seen any of its members live.

Too bad you never got to see Luna live. They are/were an incredible live act. I also enjoy Damon and Naomi, but not nearly as much as Dean's stuff. The man is a master wordsmith.

Have fun at the show!

D_Davis
11-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Music genres are dead but music will never be dead. For instance Jazz is dead. There's no way to be inventive in Jazz anymore.

:eek:

There are millions of ways to be inventive in any genre of music, so long as the audience doesn't compartmentalize genre into strictly defined genreboxes (thus becoming afraid to experience new things), and so long as the artist doesn't adhere to the "definitions" of genre. Just recently I was turned on to a compilation of new jazz artists called, Money Will Ruin Everything, and trust me, there is plenty of room to innovate within the "jazz" genre.

Kurosawa Fan
11-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Bought tickets to Ace of Base. :twisted:

Ever since reading this post, I've had "I Saw the Sign" in my head. I want my kids back.

SpaceOddity
11-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Ever since reading this post, I've had "I Saw the Sign" in my head.

*infected*

SpaceOddity
11-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Anyone like Bat for Lashes?

dreamdead
11-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Anyone like Bat for Lashes?

Aye. "Sad Eyes" and "I Saw the Light" are absolutely incredible. I find their slow songs work for me better than the midpaced tracks...

Lasse
11-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Ever since reading this post, I've had "I Saw the Sign" in my head. I want my kids back.

Not happening, unless you can convince George Michael to reunite Wham! and tour in Denmark.

Seriously though, I loved them back in the 90's and when I heard they did a mini tour in November, my friends and I had to buy tickets.

Rowland
11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
I listened to The Downward Spiral today for the first time in at least half a decade. Seriously, how did Reznor go from writing/producing this to his last two albums? I always thought that they were distinctly lacking in ambition and powerful/creative songwriting, but man, compared to TDS, they are garbage.

bac0n
11-14-2007, 07:38 PM
:eek:

There are millions of ways to be inventive in any genre of music, so long as the audience doesn't compartmentalize genre into strictly defined genreboxes (thus becoming afraid to experience new things), and so long as the artist doesn't adhere to the "definitions" of genre. Just recently I was turned on to a compilation of new jazz artists called, Money Will Ruin Everything, and trust me, there is plenty of room to innovate within the "jazz" genre.

Word. Why, one of my favorite purchases of the year was I'm Not A Gun's "We Think As Instrument" which is a completely fresh take on the Jazz genre by, of all things, a minimalist electronic artist (John Tejada) and a classical guitar prodigy of the great Pepe Romero (Takeshi Nishimoto).

SpaceOddity
11-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Anyone got Beirut's new album?

origami_mustache
11-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Anyone got Beirut's new album?

yeah it's glorious

origami_mustache
11-19-2007, 08:31 AM

that's a joke right?

Sven
11-28-2007, 04:11 PM
yeah it's glorious

Eh, I think it's unfortunate, actually. Its sound is not nearly as inventive or diverse as their first album. It sounds like Beirut doing Beirut, which, by one's second album, is kind of sad. It's not bad, certainly, but it's a bit by-the-numbers.

Kurosawa Fan
11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Does anyone else listen to The Jim Yoshii Line-Up? I've been listening to the album Picks Us Apart religiously lately.

MadMan
11-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Library rentals:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZEZH5H68L._AA240_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BFdEc19YL._AA240_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VRdpYNU9L._AA240_.jpg

And I think they have a handful of Dyan albums. Some of them might be "Best Of" collections though. I'll have to check back and see which ones they have. I like school libraries as much as public libraries when it comes to renting CDs as well as DVDs and books.

Justin
12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
New Breeders song!!! And apparently a new album April 8th.

http://www.myspace.com/thebreeders

D_Davis
12-05-2007, 01:38 AM
I picked up the new, remastered deluxe version of U2's The Joshua Tree today. I haven't really listened to this album since I bought the tape when I was in Jr. High, and damn, does it ever sound awesome.

I also picked up the Classic Albums Making of The Joshua Tree on DVD. I'll be watching this tonight.

D_Davis
12-05-2007, 04:51 PM
So last night I watched the Classic Albums, Making of DVDs for U2's The Joshua Tree and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. Both were very good.

On the Joshua Tree, it was awesome to see so much time spent with Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, the fifth and sixth members of the band. So much of U2's sound can be attributed to this creative team. Also, it was so cool to see how humble Bono is when he and Lanois went back to listen to the master tracks. Bono always appears like a larger than life superstar, and to see him cringe a little at some of the solo vocal tracks was a neat touch. Bono actually acts a little embarrassed next to Lanois, a musician who he looks up to a great deal, and I really enjoyed this human touch.

The Dark Side of the Moon DVD was also fantastic. Beyond their music, one of my favorite things about Floyd is how they have all aged gracefully. They have embraced old age with maturity. They dress their age, talk their age, and act their age. They are not an embarrassment like the Rolling Stones are now, trying desperately to cling on to the way they use to dress and look. Also, Gilmour proves that he still has the chops and the voice during an awesome acoustic performance of Breathe.

Duncan
12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I wish I had never gone to that Roger Waters concert over the summer. Otherwise, I might still be a fan of Pink Floyd. What an awful experience.

D_Davis
12-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I wish I had never gone to that Roger Waters concert over the summer. Otherwise, I might still be a fan of Pink Floyd. What an awful experience.

I can imagine. He's kind of lost his touch, where as Gilmour is still awesome. His last album is really good, and so is the last live DVD he put out. Good stuff.

Although, Waters' Amused to Death is a pretty good album. It has a handful of amazing tunes.

Lasse
12-05-2007, 10:11 PM
On the Joshua Tree, it was awesome to see so much time spent with Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, the fifth and sixth members of the band. So much of U2's sound can be attributed to this creative team. Also, it was so cool to see how humble Bono is when he and Lanois went back to listen to the master tracks. Bono always appears like a larger than life superstar, and to see him cringe a little at some of the solo vocal tracks was a neat touch. Bono actually acts a little embarrassed next to Lanois, a musician who he looks up to a great deal, and I really enjoyed this human touch.

Is this from the Joshua Tree special edition cd+dvd edition? Or is this from the Making of dvd?

D_Davis
12-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Is this from the Joshua Tree special edition cd+dvd edition? Or is this from the Making of dvd?

It is from the Classic Albums Making of Series on DVD. I bought the new remastered version of the album from iTunes, so I didn't get the DVD in the set.

MadMan
12-06-2007, 02:58 AM
So last night I watched the Classic Albums, Making of DVDs for U2's The Joshua Tree and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. Both were very good.

The Dark Side of the Moon DVD was also fantastic. Beyond their music, one of my favorite things about Floyd is how they have all aged gracefully. They have embraced old age with maturity. They dress their age, talk their age, and act their age. They are not an embarrassment like the Rolling Stones are now, trying desperately to cling on to the way they use to dress and look. Also, Gilmour proves that he still has the chops and the voice during an awesome acoustic performance of Breathe.Dude both those sound really, really awesome. I love The Joshau Tree and I consider it one of the best albums I've ever heard. Plus I'll admit that when I listen to the band's music I often forget about the other members of the group besides Bono and the Edge, even though the others are just as important to the group. That's cool to hear about Bono being cool enough to admit when his stuff can be improved.

That's great to hear about Pink Floyd. And recently I've started to prefer Gilmour to Waters, not because I've heard their individual solo efforts but simply because I think Gilmour was as much of a creative force in the band as Waters was. I'll be on the lookout for those DVDs.

There's Nothing Left To Loose is a solid album that gets dragged down by some really subpar, soft rock tracks that just don't work. Other softer tracks do work, but the best tune on the album (Stacked Actors) is more in the band's hard rock, grunge roots vein. I think Foo Fighters should stick to that more, although their accostic work is really awesome (the accostic version of Everlong is better than the original song). I think my school's library also has In Your Honor and I may check that out as well after X-Mas break.

D_Davis
12-06-2007, 03:17 AM
Dude both those sound really, really awesome. I love The Joshau Tree and I consider it one of the best albums I've ever heard. Plus I'll admit that when I listen to the band's music I often forget about the other members of the group besides Bono and the Edge, even though the others are just as important to the group. That's cool to hear about Bono being cool enough to admit when his stuff can be improved.

That's great to hear about Pink Floyd. And recently I've started to prefer Gilmour to Waters, not because I've heard their individual solo efforts but simply because I think Gilmour was as much of a creative force in the band as Waters was. I'll be on the lookout for those DVDs.

If you like these bands, and the albums, it's pretty much a no brainer that you'll like these DVDs. I got them both pretty cheap off of the Amazon Market Place. I think the U2 one is out of print now.

On the Dark Side DVD, they also talk a bit about Syd, and how the band had to change focus after his departure. Syd was all about writing short little pop songs, and the rest of the band totally lacked in this department. They had to totally change gears, and found that their strengths were more in crafting epic songs and albums. I sometimes try to imagine what would have happened had Syd stayed sane. While we wouldn't have Meddle, Dark Side, Animals, or Wish You Were Here, I wonder what we would have had?

Duncan
12-06-2007, 06:31 AM
New Silver Jews album track list.

Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea:

01 What is Not But Could Be If
02 Aloysius, Bluegrass Drummer
03 Suffering Jukebox
04 My Pillow is the Threshold
05 Strange Victory, Strange Defeat
06 San Francisco B.C.
07 Open Field
08 Party Barge
09 Candy Jail
10 We Could Be Looking for the Same Thing

D_Davis
12-06-2007, 03:40 PM
So David Gilmour: Live at the Royal Albert Hall is awesome. David Bowie takes the lead vocal part on Comfortably Numb and Arnold Layne, and the version of Echoes is amazing. It is a really nice mix of old and new Floyd coupled with selections from Gilmour's newest solo album.

D_Davis
12-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Damn - the live versions of Gilmour's On an Island and The Blue, both from his newest album, are incredible. Totally amazing.

Boner M
12-08-2007, 11:18 PM
RIP, Karlheinz Stockhausen.

origami_mustache
12-13-2007, 02:23 AM
some good leaks today:

Magnetic Fields - Distortion
Beach House - Devotion
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
Hot Chip - Made In the Dark
Rivers Cuomo - Alone: The Home Recordings of Rivers Cuomo
Andre 3000 - Whole Foods
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
RJD2 Vs. Jay-Z - The Silver Album

MadMan
12-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Right now though, the reason I came into the thread was to say I'm listening to "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town" by them from their new Sawdust compilation album. It's pretty great for the type of CD it is even if some of the re-recordings of tracks I loved in the past like "Under The Gun" and "Move Away" aren't quite up to par with the original versions in my opinion. It also has "Leave The Bourbon On The Shelf" which completes the trilogy of the "Midnight Show" and "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine" story.While staying up late for finals last night I decided to watch VH1 as they were showing videos. I finally got to see the video for Shadowplay, which is off that disc you mentioned to me back in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread. I love the song and the video is really haunting and has stunning black and white cinemotography. I can't help but wonder if its really about someone, either the band themselves or perhaps a reference to another musician they might have known. Anyways I hope to purchase it when I head back home over break.

Horbgorbler
12-13-2007, 04:45 AM
some good leaks today:

AH! AH! Do I give in, or do I wait? Do I spoil the surprise or set myself up for greater disappointment? Eekeekeekeekeek.

Henry Gale
12-13-2007, 04:57 AM
While staying up late for finals last night I decided to watch VH1 as they were showing videos. I finally got to see the video for Shadowplay, which is off that disc you mentioned to me back in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread. I love the song and the video is really haunting and has stunning black and white cinemotography. I can't help but wonder if its really about someone, either the band themselves or perhaps a reference to another musician they might have known. Anyways I hope to purchase it when I head back home over break.

Yeah, their version is definately a lot more of a modern pop sort of take on it with the melody reworked quite a bit and way more going on than in the original. The intention with the production between the two seem to be the complete opposite of one another (Flowers & co.'s obviously being the more high-tech and cleaner sounding of the two). I really like it though, especially the last minute or so of the song.

The clips in the video from Control that are cut in seemed more like just a tie-in to Corbijn's film to me more than anything of too much meaning. I'm not sure though if Corbijn did the "Shadowplay" video as well, I know he did the "All These Things..." one and all of the Sam's Town artwork.

Justin
12-13-2007, 05:46 AM
So this "freewheelin' Yo La Tengo" tour is coming to a small venue in my town, I guess I should buy a ticket.

MadMan
12-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, their version is definately a lot more of a modern pop sort of take on it with the melody reworked quite a bit and way more going on than in the original. The intention with the production between the two seem to be the complete opposite of one another (Flowers & co.'s obviously being the more high-tech and cleaner sounding of the two). I really like it though, especially the last minute or so of the song.

The clips in the video from Control that are cut in seemed more like just a tie-in to Corbijn's film to me more than anything of too much meaning. I'm not sure though if Corbijn did the "Shadowplay" video as well, I know he did the "All These Things..." one and all of the Sam's Town artwork.Wait Shadowplay is a cover? Who did the original? And yeah I love how easily The Killers can combine techno with slick guitar work and expert vocals from Flowers.

See I sensed that the video was maybe about Joy Division's lead singer because in one of the video's scenes what appears to be a rough draft of a CD cover has "Joy Division" on the cover. I really now want to see Control despite the fact that I've never listened to any of Joy Division's work and its gotten mixed reviews here on Match-Cut. Even if the tie ins don't have any meaning they sure make for a super awesome video. Also I didn't knwo that Corbijn made the video for All These Things That I've Done. That video rocks and to me it appears to be a homage to the cult classic Faster Pussycat....Kill, Kill! and an extension of the band's Vegas obsession.

In the end the Killers seem to be progressing towards some sort of greatness. Which excites me to a degree considering how much I love both of their albums. It was actually my sister who got me into the band and gave me a copy of Hot Fuss (the extended version with the extra tracks not featured in the original release of the album).

Ezee E
12-13-2007, 09:43 PM
some good leaks today:

Beach House - Devotion
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
Hot Chip - Made In the Dark
Rivers Cuomo - Alone: The Home Recordings of Rivers Cuomo
Andre 3000 - Whole Foods
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
RJD2 Vs. Jay-Z - The Silver Album
Why do people feel the need to take Jay-Z all the time? I like these mixes, but too many use Jay-Z's Black ALbum.

transmogrifier
12-13-2007, 11:13 PM
It's scary that there are actually people out there who dislike PJ Harvey.

Check out the comments section of this interview.

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/pj_harvey

Duncan
12-13-2007, 11:30 PM

I was actually just listening to White Chalk for the first time today. Beautiful stuff. I always like her best with less production supporting her.

transmogrifier
12-14-2007, 12:04 AM
I was actually just listening to White Chalk for the first time today. Beautiful stuff. I always like her best with less production supporting her.

I like her whichever way she comes. White Chalk was a grower, for me. The first time I heard it, I suffered a bit of the guitar/rawk withdrawal, but once you let that slide away, it becomes readily apparent that the album is darkly delicate and still contains her standard excellent songwriting capabilities.

Henry Gale
12-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Wait Shadowplay is a cover? Who did the original? And yeah I love how easily The Killers can combine techno with slick guitar work and expert vocals from Flowers.

See I sensed that the video was maybe about Joy Division's lead singer because in one of the video's scenes what appears to be a rough draft of a CD cover has "Joy Division" on the cover. I really now want to see Control despite the fact that I've never listened to any of Joy Division's work and its gotten mixed reviews here on Match-Cut. Even if the tie ins don't have any meaning they sure make for a super awesome video. Also I didn't knwo that Corbijn made the video for All These Things That I've Done. That video rocks and to me it appears to be a homage to the cult classic Faster Pussycat....Kill, Kill! and an extension of the band's Vegas obsession.

In the end the Killers seem to be progressing towards some sort of greatness. Which excites me to a degree considering how much I love both of their albums. It was actually my sister who got me into the band and gave me a copy of Hot Fuss (the extended version with the extra tracks not featured in the original release of the album).

It was Joy Division who did the original. From what I understand it also plays during Control's end credits. Hopefully I'll see it soon.

But I agree about them progressing. Most seemed to find Sam's Town to be a huge disappointment but I thought it was a much more focused and consistent album overall than Hot Fuss. Plus I've definately found improvement in their songwriting and live peformances. But the "new" tracks on Sawdust are kind of where they leave the question of where they are going to go ahead as a bit of a mystery. They re-record stuff like "Under The Gun" which I thought were done perfectly well with the first version they released (found on a bunch of singles and that Limited Edition of Hot Fuss you mentioned) much more in their Sam's Town-style because Flowers found some of it (especially the vocals) to be "cringe-worthy", but then they also get Jacques Lu Cont (who's done a bunch of techno-ish remixes of their stuff) to help co-produce some previously unused tracks in a much more synthy and polished (in other words, Hot Fuss) way.

So really I think that they could go either way on their next album. Hopefully though, it's a nice mixture of the two, because all I know is that "Read My Mind" is my favourite thing ever by them as it pretty much covers all of their different musical tendencies and styles, and in the end just their strengths overall as a band perfectly for me. They've also said it's their favourite song of theirs, so I hope they go more in that direction on the next one.

Duncan
12-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, is the band Vampire Weekend on your guys' radar? And if so, what do you think of them?

D_Davis
12-17-2007, 01:39 PM

I don't like her music, and I'm not scary, at all. She just does absolutely nothing for me on any level.

origami_mustache
12-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Why do people feel the need to take Jay-Z all the time? I like these mixes, but too many use Jay-Z's Black ALbum.

I agree, It's redundant, and seems as though it should be out of fashion by now.
Girl Talk's mash ups are much more interesting to me.

Henry Gale
12-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Everyone makes Jay-Z mash-up albums because Jay himself releases the full albums as just acappellas on CD separately (The Black Album and American Gangster anyway). So really they're easy to do considering the way they are and just fun for people to add their own instrumentals and mixes to all of the songs. I've even messed around with some of them myself.

If only other artists would do the same (aside from the odd instrumental and acappella on single releases) we would get some variety.

Rowland
12-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Japancakes' Loveless cover album is a good listen, especially for MBV fans. Some of their reinterpretations are really lovely.

Boner M
12-18-2007, 10:34 PM
The AV Club's worst band names of 2007 (http://www.avclub.com/content/node/71396).

Some faves:

Harmonica Lewinsky
Baboon Torture Division
Any Swing Goes
Ringo Deathstarr
Ima Fucking Gymnist
Slut Barf
The Giggle Club
Strangers Die Every Day
Car Full Of Midgets
Jewsus

EvilShoe
12-18-2007, 11:01 PM
The AV Club's worst band names of 2007 (http://www.avclub.com/content/node/71396).

Some faves:

Harmonica Lewinsky
Baboon Torture Division
Any Swing Goes
Ringo Deathstarr
Ima Fucking Gymnist
Slut Barf
The Giggle Club
Strangers Die Every Day
Car Full Of Midgets
Jewsus
Car Full of Midgets doesn't belong on that list.

Boner M
12-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Car Full of Midgets doesn't belong on that list.
Most of them are just awesomely retarded. I think "Strangers Die Every Day" is the worst because it's clearly meant to be deep.

krazed
12-19-2007, 11:19 PM
No Age's Weirdo Rippers is rocking my face off right now. God, this really lives up to the hype.

D_Davis
12-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Has anyone here ever listened to The Sinking of the Titanic, by the Gavin Bryers Ensemble?

Wow - totally beautiful.

D_Davis
01-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Has anyone here ever listened to The Sinking of the Titanic, by the Gavin Bryers Ensemble?

Wow - totally beautiful.

I'll take the silence as a "no," and thus encourage everyone into classical, ambient, and experimental music to give this fine work a listen. It is extraordinary. A captivating and haunting neo-classical piece with great emotional weight.

Acapelli
01-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Japancakes' Loveless cover album is a good listen, especially for MBV fans. Some of their reinterpretations are really lovely.
It just makes me want to listen to Loveless instead.

D_Davis
01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Anyone listen to Long Fin Killie or Lorelei?

Man, whenever I go back and listen to these two bands, I am struck by how ahead of their time they were. Had they come out now, rather than the late '90s, I'm pretty sure they would be huge with the indie crowd. These guys really did set the stage for a lot of todays hipper music.

Man, Slumberland and Too Pure were awesome labels.

Derek
01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
No Age's Weirdo Rippers is rocking my face off right now. God, this really lives up to the hype.

I've only heard it once, but I agree it's pretty great. I'm seeing them open for Liars next month and I'm fully expecting one of the greatest concerts ever.

I'll take the silence as a "no," and thus encourage everyone into classical, ambient, and experimental music to give this fine work a listen. It is extraordinary. A captivating and haunting neo-classical piece with great emotional weight.

Sounds great - I'll definitely be seeking this one out.

Horbgorbler
01-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Wonderfalls just (fairly prominently) featured an Incredible String Band t-shirt. Score one for awesome music! :pritch:

Oh, wait, the episode never even aired. :|

Justin
01-11-2008, 05:36 PM
http://www.nickcaveandthebadseeds.com/diglazarusdig/index.html

Video for the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song. This album, Portishead, Breeders, and The Roots are all my most anticipated albums of this year.

Sycophant
01-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Is there such a thing as great music criticism? Where--like with film criticism--individual tracks get analyzed fully in the context of their lyrics, albums, band's bodies of work, chord progressions and whatnot? Generally, the best it seems I can hope for is to see a passing mention of a song in an album review saying "it's better than their last album, its songwriters' indulgences working to fantastic effect, though the synthesized reggae-inspired beats on [track 12] speak to the band's weakness for cheeky reductionism."

Not that I need, need, need to read them, but I'd like it if it were out there.

*is incapable of really appreciating music and prone to dismissive generalizations*

transmogrifier
01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Is there such a thing as great music criticism? Where--like with film criticism--individual tracks get analyzed fully in the context of their lyrics, albums, band's bodies of work, chord progressions and whatnot? Generally, the best it seems I can hope for is to see a passing mention of a song in an album review saying "it's better than their last album, its songwriters' indulgences working to fantastic effect, though the synthesized reggae-inspired beats on [track 12] speak to the band's weakness for cheeky reductionism."

Not that I need, need, need to read them, but I'd like it if it were out there.

*is incapable of really appreciating music and prone to dismissive generalizations*

Sounds to me you've spotted a gap in the market place. Go forth and criticize.

Acapelli
01-11-2008, 11:07 PM
I think that that's what the whole 33 1/2 series is about, but don't take my word for it.

Sycophant
01-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Sounds to me you've spotted a gap in the market place. Go forth and criticize.

Would that I could. But I don't understand music at all.

I think that that's what the whole 33 1/2 series is about, but don't take my word for it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into them. However, I'm a little worried about the fact that they publish a book per album, only on what is generally considered canon. I worry they're for fans of the bands/albums.

transmogrifier
01-13-2008, 01:40 AM
There's too much music. I can't keep up.

I think that, after 2008, I may stop actively giving brand new bands a chance. I think the best way forward is to finalize a list of bands/singers I love, and just follow whatever they put out, if anything, in the future. It's too tiring.

Lasse
01-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Johan Wohlert from Mew and Pernille Rosendahl from Swan Lee, two of my favorite bands, have formed a new band called The Storm. I just heard their first single, Drops In The Ocean, and it's wonderful. It's rock, it's pop, it's dark and it's easy on the ears. So epic! I love it!

Too much? :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/thestormdk

D_Davis
01-13-2008, 11:58 PM

I think that, after 2008, I may stop actively giving brand new bands a chance. I think the best way forward is to finalize a list of bands/singers I love, and just follow whatever they put out, if anything, in the future. It's too tiring.

This has been my route for the last 5 years. I still pick up the occasional brand new band, but for the most part I do what you said above.

Acapelli
01-14-2008, 04:09 AM

As much as I say I'll never do this, I can't imagine 5 years down the line spending the inordinate amount of time on the internet looking up new bands like I do now.

bac0n
01-14-2008, 02:44 PM
There's a radio show that they play on public radio, called Sound Opinions (http://www.soundopinions.com/), kinda like the Siskel & Ebert of rock music. Two guys arguing about artists, bands, etc.

They're both major rock nerds who have a pretty good knowledge of what's going on in the music biz, and have a good sense of rock music's history, and their album reviews usually take into account those things you mentioned - the genre, the existing body of work of the artist, how well the songs fit together, the songs themselves.

And wow, they nailed the latest Go! Team record.

You might wanna check it out.

krazed
01-14-2008, 04:51 PM
So, anyone hear this yet?

http://assets3.pitchforkmedia.com/images/image/43095.emotionaltrash.jpg?

So far it's pretty http://forums.hipinion.com/images/smiles/icon_gu_b_slayer.gif. Pavement's pretty much my favorite band, but I really haven't cared much for Malkmus' solo stuff until now. This is like, Pavement with a classic rock twist. Pretty sweet.

Kurosawa Fan
01-14-2008, 08:24 PM
You don't like Pig Lib? How is that humanly possible?

Lasse
01-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Johan Wohlert from Mew and Pernille Rosendahl from Swan Lee, two of my favorite bands, have formed a new band called The Storm. I just heard their first single, Drops In The Ocean, and it's wonderful. It's rock, it's pop, it's dark and it's easy on the ears. So epic! I love it!

Too much? :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/thestormdk

Just found out that their album is being produced by Roy Thomas Baker. :eek: The man produced the record with Bohemian Rhapsody on it!! Holy f...

Acapelli
01-14-2008, 10:56 PM
And wow, they nailed the latest Go! Team record.
And by nailed you mean that they hold the same opinion you do?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

bac0n
01-15-2008, 03:22 PM
And by nailed you mean that they hold the same opinion you do?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

They nailed the strengths (fun, light-hearted atmosphere) and weaknesses (repetitive, no stand out songs, poor production values, vocals too far back in the mix) of the album.

Which is to say, YES.

D_Davis
01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
The soundtrack for Inland Empire came out today! Awesome.

Acapelli
01-15-2008, 05:43 PM
They nailed the strengths (fun, light-hearted atmosphere) and weaknesses (repetitive, no stand out songs, poor production values, vocals too far back in the mix) of the album.
See, what I think you consider weaknesses, I don't. The mixing and production are obviously done on purpose in the spirit of lo-fi music (they're debut is similar). And I don't see how having no stand out songs is a weakness, that just sounds silly to me. I'd consider them consistent.

krazed
01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
See, what I think you consider weaknesses, I don't. The mixing and production are obviously done on purpose in the spirit of lo-fi music (they're debut is similar). And I don't see how having no stand out songs is a weakness, that just sounds silly to me. I'd consider them consistent.

Their sophomore outing is pretty much an extension of their first. The production is awesome.

bac0n
01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
There's something to be said about consistency, but there's also a point where you cross the line from consistency to repetitiveness. I'm of the opinion that Go! Team's latest crosses that point. It's a fuzzy line, to be sure, but it's there. Somewhere behind this album.

And I'm all for the Lo-Fi sound as much as the next guy, but the audio in this album lacks a lot of the warmth I would expect from that. The mix sounds remarkably flat to me, especially on the low end. The brass sections really coulda used some more french horns and tubas, but that's just my personal preference.

origami_mustache
01-16-2008, 01:17 AM

Which is to say, YES.

To me there are at least 3 obvious standouts, I'll give concede that the band is a bit repetitive outside the standout tracks. As for the vocals and production values, that's pretty much the sound they are trying to achieve, as Acapelli pointed out and it's how they sound live as well, so it's either your cup of tea or it's not.

Rowland
01-17-2008, 02:36 AM
The soundtrack for Inland Empire came out today! Awesome.I'm listening to it now.

The fourth track, Woods Variation, sounds like the background music from a Resident Evil game.

megladon8
01-17-2008, 04:01 AM
The hilariously bad "Starship Trooper" by Sarah Brightman has been entertaining me all day.

Seriously, has anyone else heard this song? It's like "One Night in Bangkok" mixed with ABBA.

krazed
01-17-2008, 06:21 AM
Destroyer's Trouble in Dreams leaked!!!!!!!!
:pritch::pritch::pritch::pritc h::pritch:

origami_mustache
01-18-2008, 02:45 AM
Destroyer's Trouble in Dreams leaked!!!!!!!!
:pritch::pritch::pritch::pritc h::pritch:

really loving "Shooting Rockets (From the Desk of the Night's Ape)"

Justin
01-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Even though it is just a covers album, I am digging the new Cat Power album, but then again, I am pretty biased towards her.

origami_mustache
01-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Loving the new Xiu Xiu!

Sven
01-20-2008, 01:42 AM
My two cents:

T. Rex is the greatest band ever and Marc Bolan is a goddamn genius.

D_Davis
01-20-2008, 02:28 AM
My two cents:

T. Rex is the greatest band ever and Marc Bolan is a goddamn genius.

Add "one of" in between "is" and "the" and I agree.

Futuristic Dragon is his best album, too.

Sven
01-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Add "one of" in between "is" and "the" and I agree.

Natch. I was feeling hyperbolic.

Futuristic Dragon is his best album, too.

I can't pick a favorite. They're all so great. Have you heard Dazzling Raiment and if so, what do you think?

megladon8
01-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Anyone else here like Andrew Bird?

Winston*
01-20-2008, 04:14 AM
Anyone else here like Andrew Bird?

I saw him live on Tuesday. Cool show.

D_Davis
01-20-2008, 05:09 AM
I can't pick a favorite. They're all so great. Have you heard Dazzling Raiment and if so, what do you think?

No I haven't. It's an alternate Futuristic Dragon, eh? How is it.

Boner M
01-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Confession: I haven't heard a T-Rex (or Bolan solo) album in my life, though I love every song of theirs that I've heard. This shall be amended soon.

D_Davis
01-20-2008, 05:22 AM
T. Rex fans should also see Born to Boogie. It's a great concert film, and has some awesome performances.

Acapelli
01-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Confession: I haven't heard a T-Rex (or Bolan solo) album in my life, though I love every song of theirs that I've heard. This shall be amended soon.
Really? Not even Electric Warrior?

(Electric Warrior is the only one I've heard)

DSNT
01-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Speaking of T-Rex, yesterday in the movie theater before TWBB they played a rap cover of Get It On (Bang a Gong). It was one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard.

Sven
01-20-2008, 04:02 PM
No I haven't. It's an alternate Futuristic Dragon, eh? How is it.

It's awesome. All of their post-Slider albums have these weird alternate versions that are a collection of alternate versions, solos, deleted tracks, etc. The original albums and tracks are most often better, but it's a pretty awesome insight into the creative process.

krazed
01-20-2008, 06:39 PM
So far, what's everyone's favorite 2008 records? I think British Sea Power's Do You Like Rock Music? is the frontrunner for me, though I need more time with Destroyer's Trouble in Dreams Malkmus & Jicks' Real Emotional Trash and Black Mountain's In the Future is pretty rockin too. Great start for rock n' roll.

krazed
01-20-2008, 06:39 PM

Jesus, boner. Electric Warrior now bud.

Boner M
01-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Only 2008 album I've heard so far is Times New Viking's Rip it Off, but it might be on my top ten by the year's end. Probably my fave album of the new Siltbreeze resurgence.

Sven
01-21-2008, 12:20 AM
It makes me feel a little like :frustrated: that Electric Warrior gets all the attention, when he's got so much more that's just as great and some that's even better. I wonder if it has something to do with a certain pretentious music website (that will remain nameless - hint: rhymes with MitchPork) that has a nasty habit of c4c (canonizing for credibility).

Derek
01-21-2008, 12:40 AM
It makes me feel a little like :frustrated: that Electric Warrior gets all the attention, when he's got so much more that's just as great and some that's even better. I wonder if it has something to do with a certain pretentious music website (that will remain nameless - hint: rhymes with MitchPork) that has a nasty habit of c4c (canonizing for credibility).

That's a little unfair considering they gave The Slider a higher score and wrote positive reviews for several others. Not that I'm the biggest Pitchfork defender since they're not even the best pretentious online music rag out there.

In more important news, I will be checking out T-Rex ASAP.

EDIT: And in most important news, the new Silver Mt. Zion album leaked.

Sven
01-21-2008, 01:24 AM
That's a little unfair considering they gave The Slider a higher score and wrote positive reviews for several others. Not that I'm the biggest Pitchfork defender since they're not even the best pretentious online music rag out there.

I was just thinking about their including Electric Warrior on their joke of a top 100 albums of the 70s list. Not that it's not deserving, but like you said, they gave The Slider the higher score, so... I don't know what's up with that.

Recommend some other music rags. I'd like to expand.

In more important news, I will be checking out T-Rex ASAP.

Excellent!

megladon8
01-21-2008, 02:11 AM
EDIT: And in most important news, the new Silver Mt. Zion album leaked.

Is it any good?

I always thought they were pretty good, but didn't hold a candle to Godspeed You, Black Emperor!

krazed
01-21-2008, 02:27 AM

I disagree. I think EW has some of the best songs the band ever recorded, and that album is one of the best paced of all time. Plus it's just so sexy. It really deserves all the love, it's one of the first 5 albums that really propelled me to get into music.

transmogrifier
01-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Moaning about Pitchfork is so 2005.

Derek
01-21-2008, 02:39 AM
I was just thinking about their including Electric Warrior on their joke of a top 100 albums of the 70s list. Not that it's not deserving, but like you said, they gave The Slider the higher score, so... I don't know what's up with that.

Recommend some other music rags. I'd like to expand.

I'm sure it was that different critics wrote the reviews, but as a whole they prefer Electric Warrior. But I'm pretty much speaking out of my ass, since I really have no clue either. :)

Other online mags I read on a regular basis are CokemachineGlow (http://www.cokemachineglow.com/) and Tiny Mix Tapes (http://www.tinymixtapes.com/), both of which can come off as awfully pretentious, but far less likely to fall into groupthink or proclaiming the next great 21st Century band only to ditch them while they're still hip. Despite their critics' tastes, I always come away feeling like they're passionate about music and really know their shit and are less interested in staying ahead of the curve than they are in simply bringing your attention to great new music.

Is it any good?

I always thought they were pretty good, but didn't hold a candle to Godspeed You, Black Emperor!

I still don't have it all yet (slow dl'ing), but I'll let you know when I get it. I agree they're a step down from Godspeed, but their first two albums (He Has Left Us Alone... and especially Born Into Trouble...) are pretty damn close. Everything else has always had at least one or two tracks that absolutely floor me, so I'll be happy if I can at least get that from their new one. It took me a while to come around to Efrim's singing, but I've learned to embrace it.

Sven
01-21-2008, 02:40 AM
I disagree. I think EW has some of the best songs the band ever recorded, and that album is one of the best paced of all time. Plus it's just so sexy. It really deserves all the love, it's one of the first 5 albums that really propelled me to get into music.

It sure is excellent. Please don't take that be-moaning as anything of a slight towards it. And yes, mm-boy, sexiness is Bolan's forte. It's just kind of annoying, is all. Like how people always take it for granted that Exile is the Stones' best. I just hate seeing T. Rex being taken for granted. :(

Sven
01-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Moaning about Pitchfork is so 2005.

But, but I just started!

:puts on Dire Straits:

transmogrifier
01-21-2008, 02:47 AM
But, but I just started!

:puts on Dire Straits:

T Rex? Dire Straits?

You and my mom would get on great. Though I don't think she has an opinion on Pitchfork.

Sven
01-21-2008, 02:49 AM
You and my mom would get on great.

Me and hot women generally tend to get along great, so I can't wait.

D_Davis
01-21-2008, 03:39 AM
I think Futuristic Dragon is superior to EW in every way possible.

transmogrifier
01-21-2008, 06:10 AM
Me and hot women generally tend to get along great, so I can't wait.

:|

Christmas is gonna be awkward this year.

Derek
01-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Is it any good?

I really like it, but it feels a little too on the nose for them. I can't quite tell if they're coasting or if the more traditional hard rock edge integrated into their sound will just take a little getting used to. One thing's for sure, it's the heaviest album they've released since the Godspeed days. I imagine you'll dig it if your expectations aren't too high.

Horbgorbler
01-23-2008, 03:52 AM
How sad is it that I watch the progress of the RYM all-time top charts as if a competitive sport, rooting for certain albums to climb and letting out whoops of victorious glee when I notice, say, how Dolmen Music now has a higher position than Siamsese Dream?

D_Davis
01-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Meat Beat Manifesto's Subliminal Sandwich is such an amazing album. I used to listen to it all the time, but a few years ago I lost disc 2. They finally released the whole thing on iTunes and I picked it up again today. Man, it's just brilliant.

I can't wait to hear the new album this April.

bac0n
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Meat Beat Manifesto's Subliminal Sandwich is such an amazing album. I used to listen to it all the time, but a few years ago I lost disc 2. They finally released the whole thing on iTunes and I picked it up again today. Man, it's just brilliant.

I can't wait to hear the new album this April.

Yeah, that is a fan-tastic album. I also like the one prior to that, Satyricon.

I saw them when they toured for Subliminal Sammich. Great show, and Jack Dangers was hanging out in the crowd afterward, so I got a chance to say hi. Very nice fallow, that Jack Dangers.

D_Davis
01-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah, that is a fan-tastic album. I also like the one prior to that, Satyricon.

I saw them when they toured for Subliminal Sammich. Great show, and Jack Dangers was hanging out in the crowd afterward, so I got a chance to say hi. Very nice fallow, that Jack Dangers.

That's cool. I've always admired Jack Dangers. He's so talented. In many ways, I consider him the white Dr. Dre. I would LOVE to hear a collaboration between Dre and Dangers. I bet they could drop some mad tunes.

Did you listen to At the Center? I don't care for it. He went a little too jazzy for my tastes. It's almost acid-jazz, and that stuff sounded tired years ago.

D_Davis
01-24-2008, 11:09 PM
What kind of live show does MBM put on? Any analog (drums, guitars, flutes...) instruments?

Boner M
01-25-2008, 04:20 AM
I finally bought Electric Warrior today! :cool:

megladon8
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
I've been listening to my CDs by The Roots lately.

"Things Fall Apart" is still my favorite, but "Game Theory" is damn good as well.

Also been listening to Matthew Good's album, "Avalanche". For ridiculously political pop-rock, I love it.

bac0n
01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
What kind of live show does MBM put on? Any analog (drums, guitars, flutes...) instruments?

The MBM show I saw in support of Subliminal Sammich was Dangers on Keyboards / Controls / Vox, and if memory serves, there was also another guy on keyboards, a saxophonist / multi-instrumentalist, and one hell of an awesome drummer.

bac0n
01-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Did you listen to At the Center? I don't care for it. He went a little too jazzy for my tastes. It's almost acid-jazz, and that stuff sounded tired years ago.

I don't think I have. I've heard a later album that was really hip-hoppy, so it's probably a different one I'm thinking about. There was a song on that album that I don't recall the title of that was the official theme song of my carpool at the time.

D_Davis
01-29-2008, 04:23 PM
The MBM show I saw in support of Subliminal Sammich was Dangers on Keyboards / Controls / Vox, and if memory serves, there was also another guy on keyboards, a saxophonist / multi-instrumentalist, and one hell of an awesome drummer.

Man, that sounds awesome.

bac0n
01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Man, that sounds awesome.

Yeah, it more than made up for the mediocre MBM concert I had seen previously when they were touring for 99%.

D_Davis
02-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Wow, Susumu Yokota's album, Sakura, is awesome. A really nice marriage of ambient and down-tempo techno stuff. Really, really good. Hisen is an awesome track, check it out.

Sycophant
02-04-2008, 04:13 AM
Nobody told me Nellie McKay had a new album out.

Horbgorbler
02-04-2008, 06:22 AM
The guy that played banjo in the Monks died. :(

Justin
02-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Nobody told me Nellie McKay had a new album out.

McKay is an artist I have been wanting to check out, which album should I start with?

Horbgorbler
02-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Vampire Weekend do not suck. One month into 2008 and it has already delivered an uber-hyped indie band that are listenable, even fun. Keep this up, and I'll eat my anti-p4k hat.

Sycophant
02-07-2008, 06:46 AM
McKay is an artist I have been wanting to check out, which album should I start with?I'd recommend actually starting with her first album, Get Away from Me. Her second Pretty Little Head was one I could never get into as much as an album, though there are quite a few tracks on it I like to listen to frequently. This third one I haven't listened to yet.

Justin
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Vampire Weekend do not suck. One month into 2008 and it has already delivered an uber-hyped indie band that are listenable, even fun. Keep this up, and I'll eat my anti-p4k hat.

Agreed, the album is a lot of fun.

MadMan
02-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Library rentals (my school's library has a pretty decent selection):

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan
The Chronic-Dr. Dre
...And Justice For All-Metallica
Be Here Now-Oasis

Lasse
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
So a friend of mine sold one of her songs to a Brazilian pop group and they used it as a single. It's funny that I heard this song first time two or three years ago, except it was in English and a bit rockier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8BrTHDgZfw

krazed
02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Agreed, the album is a lot of fun.

It's fun, but it's nothing special and I really don't understand the heaps of praise. I guess having 1-2 indie pop albums hit a year make them seem like a commodity, or something.

D_Davis
02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
The guy that played banjo in the Monks died. :(

NNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Horbgorbler
02-07-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm just amazed at how rapid their ascent has been: I remember looking them up on YouTube four or five months ago and they had three videos with a dozen comments between them: now they've debuted in the Billboard Top 20 and played on Letterman, with nary a peep betwixt. WTF? Crazy internet age. At least they make for a far better token indie-not-indie obsession for music in '08 than Juno did for film last year.

I suppose I'm sparing them my hyper-critical-anti-hipster-destruct-o-ray because they're the logical and very long overdue culmination of the sadly-never-dying post-punk craze: the jungle fetish/Burundi beat side of things a la Adam & the Ants or the Slits. Plus I've been praying for a Calypso/Graceland/just-something-interesting-already revival forever, and they do it tolerably well, with the Left Banke-esque chamber pop elements being a fine foil for the more transparent, borderline-minstrelsy "We've got MP3's of The Indestructible Beat of Soweto and we're not afraid to purloin from it!" cuts. Still odd seeing them explode like this, though. Kind of goes far to invalidate some of my most closely-held beliefs. I'm also kind of ashamed I just spend this many words discussing them. :|

Duncan
02-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I saw Vampire Weekend live like 2 years ago. Ergo, I am better than you.

Seriously though, I didn't like them then and I don't like them now.

/the only time in my life I've had hipster cred

Horbgorbler
02-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Watching Keith Emerson jump over an organ in tight, shiny pants after raping both Bach and Janáček made me realize for the first time why so many people hate prog.

Sven
02-09-2008, 04:24 AM
Am I weird for liking Monster Movie over Ege Bamyasi, Tago Mago, and Future Days? It's great!

Horbgorbler
02-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Not weird at all: I'd wager "Yoo Doo Right" destroys everything else in their catalogue.

Acapelli
02-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I saw Vampire Weekend live like 2 years ago. Ergo, I am better than you.

Seriously though, I didn't like them then and I don't like them now.

/the only time in my life I've had hipster cred
I remember last summer hearing the Blue CD-R (which contains pretty much the same material as the new s/t) and burning out on it then. A-Punk is the only song I can stomach to listen to again.

ledfloyd
02-09-2008, 06:17 PM
does anyone else listen to Medeski, Martin & Wood? their new kids album is alotta fun.

Melville
02-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Have people in here been listening to the new Portishead tracks? They're like Portishead... TO THE EXTREME! Well, one of them is, anyway.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ky6Jcix6X1k
http://youtube.com/watch?v=b5t3yMd5rbg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aouACYUin6M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1TIphtLZLw4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LQAKIMTUwzA

(Sorry if these have already been posted. I did a search of the forums and didn't find any mention of them.)

Derek
02-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Am I weird for liking Monster Movie over Ege Bamyasi, Tago Mago, and Future Days? It's great!

It's not that weird. I like it about as much as Future Days, but I don't think it's quite on the same level as Ege, Tago or even Soundtracks. Have you heard that one yet? It's only real "flaw" is being too short, but the pure epic awesomeness of "Mother Sky" more than makes up for it.

Lasse
02-10-2008, 03:29 PM
The Official 90's Eurodance Top 10
As compiled by a friend and myself on Friday when we were drunk

1: Magic Affair - Omen III
2: Captain Hollywood Project - More And More
3: Culture Beat - Mr. Vain
4: DJ Bobo - Somebody Dance With Me
5: Ice MC - It's A Rainy Day
6: Maxx - No More
7: Melodie MC - Dum Da Dum
8: N-Trance - Set You Free
9: Prince Ital Joe feat. Marky Mark - United
10: 2 Brothers On The 4th Floor - Dreams

Sven
02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
It's not that weird. I like it about as much as Future Days, but I don't think it's quite on the same level as Ege, Tago or even Soundtracks. Have you heard that one yet? It's only real "flaw" is being too short, but the pure epic awesomeness of "Mother Sky" more than makes up for it.

I will acquire Soundtracks.

D_Davis
02-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Wow - the Easy Star All-Stars reggae remake of Radiohead's OK Computer is pretty dang awesome. Radiodread.

I expected it to be more campy, more of a novelty, but it is actually really well done and totally reverent.

D_Davis
02-12-2008, 03:37 AM
I just bought their Dub Side of the Moon - very good stuff.

I remember Bim-Skala-Bim's ska cover of Brain Damage, and that was awesome as well.

Sycophant
02-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Live blues rock(s).

D_Davis
02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Total T.Rex 1971-1972 came out today.

A six disc set on live tracks and demos. It seems pretty cool. Probably only worth buying if you already really like the band.

Horbgorbler
02-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Boner, didja' hear the bassist from Fushitsusha died? :sad:

Boner M
02-16-2008, 02:10 AM
Boner, didja' hear the bassist from Fushitsusha died? :sad:
Didn't notice this post before... RIP.

Speaking of which, I was listening to A Silver Mt. Zion's "Could've Moved Mountains" the other day and it just hit me that the track blatantly plagiarises the bassline and the crescendo structure of the amazing track 4/disc 1 on Fushitsusha's second double live album. Thieves!

Llopin
02-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Primavera Sound 2008 lineup (which I'll be attending)

808 State, A Place To Bury Strangers, Alan Braxe, Animal Collective, Apparat Band, Dj Assault, Atlas Sound, Autolux, Awesome Color, Bill Callahan, Bishop Allen, Bob Mould Band, Bon Iver, Boris, British Sea Power, Buffalo Tom, Caribou, Cat Power, Clipse, The Cribs, De La Soul, Deerhunter, Digital Mystikz, Dinosaur Jr., Dirty Projectors, Dr. Octagon aka Kool Keith + Kutmasta Kurt, Edan & MC Dagha, El Guincho, Ellen Allien, Enon, Eric's Trip, Fanfarlo, The Felice Brothers, Fuck Buttons, Dj Funk, Gentle Music Men, The Go! Team, Grande-Marlaska, Health, Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs, Holy Fuck, It's Not Not, Kavinsky, Kinski, Les Savy Fav, Lightspeed Champion, Madee, Man Man, The Mary Onettes, Mary Weiss, The Marzipan Man, Menomena, Messer Chups, Midnight Juggernauts, Mission Of Burma, Mixmaster Mike, Model 500, MV & EE with The Golden Road, Nick Lowe, No Age, The Notwist, Okkervil River, Om, Para One, Pissed Jeans, Polvo, Port O'Brien, Portishead, Prinzhorn Dance School, Public Enemy performing It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, Robert Hood, Rufus Wainwright, The Rumble Strips, Scout Niblett, Sebadoh, Shipping News, Silver Jews, Simian Mobile Disco, Six Organs Of Admittance, Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, The Strange Death Of Liberal England, Subterranean Kids, Supermayer, Surkin, The Swell Season, Tachenko, Tarántula, Throbbing Gristle, Tiefschwarz, Tindersticks, Träd Gräs och Stenar, Vampire Weekend, Vórtice, Voxtrot, White Williams, Why?, Young Marble Giants

Can't fucking wait.

Velocipedist
02-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Animal Collective, Boris, Cat Power, De La Soul, Dr. Octagon, Holly Golightly, Messer Chups, MV & EE with The Golden Road, Om, Portishead, Public Enemy, Six Organs Of Admittance, Throbbing Gristle, Tindersticks, Träd Gräs och Stenar, Why?, Young Marble Giants

Excellent!

You had not bolded Messer Chups! You don't know what you're missing!

Velocipedist
02-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Have people in here been listening to the new Portishead tracks?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1TIphtLZLw4

Have you heard of the band called Silver Apples?

Llopin
02-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Excellent!

You had not bolded Messer Chups! You don't know what you're missing!

I was just checking them out... retro-horror-surf-rockabilly, eh? Kickass.

Silver Apples is playing here in a few weeks... I'm kind of confused about it. I do enjoy the first two albums quite a lot, they're classics in their own right, but I heard his current live show is kind of weak.

Acapelli
02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
British Sea Power, Man Man, MV & EE with The Golden Road, No Age
I'd consider these too if I were you.

Boner M
02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Saw Sonic Youth playing Daydream Nation last night. Came.

Justin
02-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Llopin, I would also recommend Vampire Weekend, White Williams, Clipse, and De La Soul.

Llopin
02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I'd consider these too if I were you.

I've already seen MV & EE and it was frankly a letdown; I saw No Age three months ago and it was fun, I guess. I haven't listened to BSP in ages... I don't know what they're up to now. Man Man's first album sounded like a bunch of drunken slovenian sailors on crack, so if they live up to that at their show it should be most interesting :cool:

Llopin, I would also recommend Vampire Weekend, White Williams, Clipse, and De La Soul.

Thanks, I forgot to bold De La Soul. A combo between that and Public Enemy would be glorious... I'll check on those other two, although I'm not too big on rap, except for the "classics". Vampire Weekend is not my kind of thing.

By the by, I posted the lineup since I was on permanent orgasm, yet the festival does take place in May, so I've got some time to ponder.

Acapelli
02-18-2008, 11:06 PM
I've already seen MV & EE and it was frankly a letdown; I saw No Age three months ago and it was fun, I guess. I haven't listened to BSP in ages... I don't know what they're up to now. Man Man's first album sounded like a bunch of drunken slovenian sailors on crack, so if they live up to that at their show it should be most interesting :cool:
Saw MV & EE last month and thought the show was great, BSP's new album is one of my favorite's of the year so far (not that that's saying much), and Man Man's performance is exactly what it sounds like.

bac0n
02-20-2008, 02:38 PM
does anyone else listen to Medeski, Martin & Wood? their new kids album is alotta fun.

I'm a big fan of their sound. I loved the kinda recent album they put out with John Scofield. I didn't know they had a new album out. So much for that 10 bucks...

D_Davis
02-20-2008, 03:31 PM

I'm a big fan of their sound. I loved the kinda recent album they put out with John Scofield. I didn't know they had a new album out. So much for that 10 bucks...

Do you guts listen to The James Taylor Quartet or The Brand New Heavies?

If you've never heard JTQ before, be ready to be blown away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hwvfIFgSb8

bac0n
02-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Do you guts listen to The James Taylor Quartet or The Brand New Heavies?

If you've never heard JTQ before, be ready to be blown away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hwvfIFgSb8

Holy. Shit.

D_Davis
02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Holy. Shit.

JTQ is fucking awesome. Pretty much the fathers of modern acid jazz. Their cover of Mrs. Robinson is amazing.

I used to go to scooter rallies with some buddies, and the deejays would always play JTQ, Brand New Heavies, Style Council and other blue eyed soul stuff.

JTQ was always the best though.

Melville
02-21-2008, 03:44 AM
The Oscillations guys?

Velocipedist
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
The Oscillations guys?

Yep.

Llopin
02-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Yesterday I saw Nisei and Girls Against Boys. Kickass show. KILL THE SUGAR!

Justin
02-23-2008, 10:01 PM
After listening to it once, I really like the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album.

DSNT
02-23-2008, 10:55 PM
After listening to it once, I really like the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album.
Damn me and my soulseeklessness. I cannot f**king wait.

dreamdead
02-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Though I still find great value in several songs of theirs, Japan's Condor44 sounds a teensy bit less original in their sound after I've explored Sonic Youth's Sister and Daydream Nation. To be sure, Condor44 never really hid their influences, but since I haven't listened to SY since the mid '90s, it's forcing a reappraisal on the former band's non-acoustic songs, since the song construction is plenty similar.

That said, you should all check out Condor44's "db" video on youtube.

D_Davis
02-27-2008, 02:46 PM
The new Moby song, Alice, is pretty dang awesome.

Lasse
02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
The new Moby song, Alice, is pretty dang awesome.

I love Moby. I've liked or loved most of what he's done over the years. Disco Lies is a very cool track and the video is hysterical.

I just found Alice on YouTube and although I only kinda like it for now, I have a feeling I'll end up really really liking it.

Can't wait for the album.

D_Davis
02-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I love Moby. I've liked or loved most of what he's done over the years. Disco Lies is a very cool track and the video is hysterical.

I just found Alice on YouTube and although I only kinda like it for now, I have a feeling I'll end up really really liking it.

Can't wait for the album.

Me too.

My favorite is Animal Rights. I love that album.

Justin
02-28-2008, 02:47 AM
i honestly have not listened to too much Moby, I really like Play though, even if every single one of those tracks appeared on a commercial.

D_Davis
02-28-2008, 04:23 AM
i honestly have not listened to too much Moby, I really like Play though, even if every single one of those tracks appeared on a commercial.

Yeah, he really got played out for a while.

But, he's been through his backlash period, so now I think it's cool to like him again.

:)

He really is a good musician/producer, plus I really like what he has to say.

The liner notes in Animal Rights are amazing.

MadMan
02-29-2008, 08:16 PM
I dig Moby quite a bit, although I've only heard some songs off of Play and the entire album 18 which I like a lot. I think its a solid album sporting some really great tracks.

origami_mustache
02-29-2008, 10:00 PM
just downloaded new Black Keys album.

DSNT
03-01-2008, 04:14 PM
just downloaded new Black Keys album.

I hadn't heard them until their I'm Not There song, which rocked the house.

How is the rest of their stuff?

Benny Profane
03-02-2008, 12:40 AM
So I saw Ryan Adams on Live Set on MHD. Is this guy the biggest douche or what?

Like his music though.

Boner M
03-02-2008, 12:49 AM

Like his music though.
At his Sydney show last year he demanded to play with the lights out, and then when the audience complained he started berating them. I wasn't there, but it was the talk of the town for a while.

Benny Profane
03-02-2008, 01:00 AM
At his Sydney show last year he demanded to play with the lights out, and then when the audience complained he started berating them. I wasn't there, but it was the talk of the town for a while.

Unsurprising, based on the 20 minutes of footage I saw. He comes off as the poster-child for arrogant self-absorbed dickheads.

origami_mustache
03-02-2008, 03:46 AM
I hadn't heard them until their I'm Not There song, which rocked the house.

How is the rest of their stuff?

Great, they have a real old school 60s garage rock sound. Sometimes even remind me of Hendrix.

bac0n
03-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Like his music though.

The last time he played Minneapolis, he played a 70 minute set where he spent most of the time complaining about the sound and sliding around the mic and monitors, then threw a tantrum and walked off stage to a chorus of boos.

Back in 2003, he played First Ave (where Prince got his start) and played a set that lives in local lore as one of the bitchiest, worst concerts ever. Adams seemed more interested in dissing Paul Westerberg during that concert than he was in playing his own material.

I don't know why people put up with him. He's no-where near talented enough to be putting on a prima-donna act in my book. He'd be doing a lot of us a favor by just dropping Minneapolis off his schedule next time he decides to tour.

D_Davis
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah, RA is a total douche.

I might be able to put up with it if his music was even slightly interesting, creative, and engaging, but it's not.

I don't understand how this guy still has a career.

So yeah, not the biggest fan. :)

MadMan
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
The last time he played Minneapolis, he played a 70 minute set where he spent most of the time complaining about the sound and sliding around the mic and monitors, then threw a tantrum and walked off stage to a chorus of boos.

Back in 2003, he played First Ave (where Prince got his start) and played a set that lives in local lore as one of the bitchiest, worst concerts ever. Adams seemed more interested in dissing Paul Westerberg during that concert than he was in playing his own material.

I don't know why people put up with him. He's no-where near talented enough to be putting on a prima-donna act in my book. He'd be doing a lot of us a favor by just dropping Minneapolis off his schedule next time he decides to tour.Wow. Just wow. I'm surprised the crowd didn't lynch him on the spot. I would have thrown something at his head had I been in the audience. Or at least I would have been tempted to.

Recent Rentals:

Binaural-Pearl Jam
Another Side of Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan
Talking Heads: 77-Talking Heads
Santana-Santana

I must confess I mostly use libraries to rent movies and CDs.

D_Davis
03-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Talking Heads: 77-Talking Heads

Great, great album.

MadMan
03-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Great, great album.A review of it will be coming soon, but so far I really dig it. I've always liked The Talking Heads, its just that I've never listened to any of their albums until now.

Acapelli
03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I never realized that one the factors into my aversion to bands I like getting big is their live show. No, not their ability to play as a band, but them moving onto bigger venues (and higher prices). Seeing a band live is a pretty big facet of my musical appreaciation so I wonder what will happen when I'm older and the above isn't as true as it is now.

bac0n
03-03-2008, 10:05 PM
I can name a band or two that I liked until I saw them live, and their hubris during the show totally killed my appreciation for their music.

D_Davis
03-03-2008, 10:07 PM
A review of it will be coming soon, but so far I really dig it. I've always liked The Talking Heads, its just that I've never listened to any of their albums until now.

My favorites are More Songs About Buildings and Food, and Remain in Light.

I love the stuff they did with Brian Eno.

D_Davis
03-04-2008, 12:43 AM
There's a new Daniel Lanois album!

http://redfloorrecords.com/HereIsWhatIs.htm

Check out the song that plays when the page loads.

Man, this guy can a write a damn good song.

D_Davis
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Daniel Lanois is one of the most sonically interesting musicians/song writers I've ever listened to.

The dude's production is so creative, so dense, so luscious, and so totally nuanced. Everything is nestled perfectly in its spot within the stereofield.

On his newest album, you can hear the bits and pieces of his soul that he's loaned to acts like Bob Dylan, U2, and Emmylou Harris. It's absolutely beautiful.

Tracks 2, 3, and 4 are awesome.

The album also features a few snippets of conversations between Lanois and Eno.

I really need to get the DVD of this when it comes out.

D_Davis
03-05-2008, 12:47 AM
From what I gather, the new Lanois DVD and album are all about his creative process.

One of the tracks on this album is called Sacred and Secular, and it is absolutely beautiful.

At the beginning of this track there are three snippets of different conversations. The first is from Eno, and he says that he is an anti-romantic, and that this stems from him being an atheist. He doesn't believe that there is anything "out there," but that it all comes from within us. I don't know who the second snippet is from (maybe one of the Neville brothers?), but this guys says that everything good about music is sacred, it is all a kind of praise. Finally, Lanois talks about the pedal steal, his favorite instrument. He says that it takes him to a sacred place, he calls it his "church in a case." The song then goes into a pedal steal solo that is absolutely incredible.

This is an example of what I find most fascinating about Lanois and his music. He is so thoughtful in everything he does. He doesn't just write and record music, but he actually contemplates its meaning and how he, as an artist, arrives at the places he does.

transmogrifier
03-05-2008, 02:41 AM
From what I gather, the new Lanois DVD and album are all about his creative process.

One of the tracks on this album is called Sacred and Secular, and it is absolutely beautiful.

At the beginning of this track there are three snippets of different conversations. The first is from Eno, and he says that he is an anti-romantic, and that this stems from him being an atheist. He doesn't believe that there is anything "out there," but that it all comes from within us. I don't know who the second snippet is from (maybe one of the Neville brothers?), but this guys says that everything good about music is sacred, it is all a kind of praise. Finally, Lanois talks about the pedal steal, his favorite instrument. He says that it takes him to a sacred place, he calls it his "church in a case." The song then goes into a pedal steal solo that is absolutely incredible.

This is an example of what I find most fascinating about Lanois and his music. He is so thoughtful in everything he does. He doesn't just write and record music, but he actually contemplates its meaning and how he, as an artist, arrives at the places he does.

See, I find that kind of talk intensely boring. I prefer my artists to shut up about their artisitic process, as I tend to find it demystifies the work and reduces it to the results of half-baked pseudo-philosophical ramblings, which is no great plus.

Just make the music, enjoy yourselves doing it, and let that be that. It's been well-proven that humans are useless at explaining subconcious processes, and musicians are direct proof of that.

D_Davis
03-05-2008, 03:08 AM
See, I find that kind of talk intensely boring. I prefer my artists to shut up about their artisitic process, as I tend to find it demystifies the work and reduces it to the results of half-baked pseudo-philosophical ramblings, which is no great plus.

Just make the music, enjoy yourselves doing it, and let that be that. It's been well-proven that humans are useless at explaining subconcious processes, and musicians are direct proof of that.

I am exactly the opposite.

I love hearing about the creative process of artists I admire, especially when their music backs up what they say.

It could be because I am a musician, and I enjoy gathering insight into the technical and spiritual aspects of the musicians who have inspired me.

I find that it greatly increases the amount of enjoyment I get from listening to music, while at the same time it helps me strengthen my own craft. It adds a whole new layer I can experience.

This is especially true when it comes from musicians as thoughtful as Lanois and Eno.

D_Davis
03-05-2008, 03:40 AM
I find stuff like this:

Kenley: Can you talk a little about atmosphere or “place” when creating/producing music? For example, I believe that Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy was mainly recorded at night, which you can hear from the intimate performance / atmosphere on the album.

Daniel: Yes, that was Dylan’s call. I think he was right. Apparently, our brains are satisfied with slower tempos at night and so you tend to get a certain type of rhythmic result. And the Oh Mercy record has a lovely sort of nighttime feel.

Absolutely fascinating.

http://www.neuhouse.com/acadie/interview_2004.htm

transmogrifier
03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
I find stuff like this:

Absolutely fascinating.

http://www.neuhouse.com/acadie/interview_2004.htm

What I quote here is interesting science, which is not the same thing as the essentially meaningless "music is sacred and a kind of praise"

D_Davis
03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
What I quote here is interesting science, which is not the same thing as the essentially meaningless "music is sacred and a kind of praise"

I find science and spirituality equally as fascinating and important when discussing and evaluating music. You don't. We're *SHOCK* different!

What did you quote though, it didn't show up?

D_Davis
03-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Here's David Lee Roth's vocal track for Running With the Devil.

Pretty funny. You get to hear all the little grunts and noises he makes.

http://www.chunklet.com/images/upload/6/audio_file/Runnin'%20With%20The%20Devil.m p3

Benny Profane
03-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Son Volt > Uncle Tupelo > Wilco.

Discuss.

transmogrifier
03-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Discuss.

I know Wilco, but the others I wouldn't know from a bar of soap.

Discuss.

;)

Benny Profane
03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
I know Wilco, but the others I wouldn't know from a bar of soap.

Discuss.

;)

Uncle Tupelo was the predecessor, led by Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar. After a bitter breakup, Tweedy went on to form Wilco, while Farrar went on to form Son Volt.

Son Volt is the best of the bunch.

bac0n
03-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I've never been a fan of Son Volt's sound, to be honest, primarily due to the vocal style of the lead singer.

Wryan
03-07-2008, 08:53 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519KD8J8HAL._SS500_.jpg

"Mesmerizing" is inadequate.

origami_mustache
03-07-2008, 10:32 PM
new leaks:
Jamie Lidell
Del the Funky Homosapien
El Perro del Mar

DSNT
03-08-2008, 01:06 AM

Discuss.

Agreed. I was a casual fan of Volt until I saw them last year and they (he) kicked f'ing ass. I saw Wilco too and they nearly put me to sleep. Jay Farrar's solo stuff is also really good.

She probably won't see your post, but I'm guessing my better half would have it as:

Uncle Tupelo > Wilco > Son Volt

megladon8
03-09-2008, 10:51 PM
A Tribe Called Quest is freaking wonderful.

Both "Midnight Marauders" and "The Low End Theory" have been playing on my iPod non-stop for the last week.

MadMan
03-10-2008, 03:46 AM
At this point I think I find listening to albums more satisfying than watching movies. I don't know if this attests to the fact that I have a short attention span or if I just the fact that you can enjoy CDs whenever you want.

Rowland
03-11-2008, 05:53 AM
What do people around here think of the new Autechre? I'm still processing it.

Derek
03-11-2008, 06:00 AM
What do people around here think of the new Autechre? I'm still processing it.

I wasn't much of a fan and found it a bit of slog to get through. I'll give it another chance at some point since it's the kind of music where I could easily see myself pulling a 180.