PDA

View Full Version : Collective mixtape

origami_mustache
08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Matchcut Mixtape Vol. 1 (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VY13XJ70) is now available to download.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/colpot10/matchcutalbum.jpg

1. Murderbot - "Onlyworld" (origami_mustache)
2. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - "Real Emotional Trash" (Kurosawa Fan)
3. Bruce Kaphan - "Clouds" (Daniel Davis)
4. Kurious Jorge - "I'm Kurious" (Kurious Jorge v3.1)
5. 50 Foot Wave - "Clara Bow" (Spinal)
6. Big Daddy Kane - "Warm It Up Kane" (Ezee E)
7. King Crimson - "Starless" (Raiders)
8. XTC - "Easter Theatre" (Iosos)
9. Genesis - "Back In NYC" (Derek)
10. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Gardenhead" (Duncan)
11. The Kropotkins - "Sissy Wa Wa" (Russ)
12. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Hold On To Yourself" (transmogrifier)
13. Pepe Romero "Asturias" (bac0n)
14. Neu! - "Negativland" (Teh Sausage)
15. Eugene McDaniels - "Lovin' Man" (Boner M)
16. The Louvin Brothers & Tommy Cash - "Knoxville Girl" (Melville)
17. Portishead - "Machine Gun" (chrisnu)
18. Trolle//Siebenhaar - "Sweet Dogs" (Lasse)

Kurosawa Fan
08-21-2008, 09:30 PM
"Real Emotional Trash" - Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks

D_Davis
08-21-2008, 10:09 PM
"Clouds" by Bruce Kaphan

Kurious Jorge v3.1
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Great idea!

"I'm Kurious" by Kurious Jorge

:) (no i'm not the artist, just a fan)

Kurosawa Fan
08-21-2008, 10:39 PM
"Clouds" by Bruce Kaphan

I thought for sure we were getting Farflung from you.

Spinal
08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
"Clara Bow" - 50 Foot Wave

D_Davis
08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I thought for sure we were getting Farflung from you.

Next time.

:)

Clouds is my most listened to song on my work iTunes, that's how I picked it.

It's my morning music.

Ezee E
08-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Big Daddy Kane "Warm it Up Kane"

Raiders
08-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Starless, King Crimson

(lemme know if it's too long)

origami_mustache
08-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Starless, King Crimson

should be fine since I'm not actually putting it on a cd

D_Davis
08-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Starless, King Crimson

Great choice.

Sven
08-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Easter Theatre - XTC

Derek
08-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Genesis - "Back in NYC"

Kurious Jorge v3.1
08-22-2008, 01:43 AM
or if you guys prefer we could come up with a theme and choose songs based on that...or we could do that in the future...let me know what you think.

there definitely should be more.

Duncan
08-22-2008, 02:14 AM
Neutral Milk Hotel - "Gardenhead"

I like this idea.

origami_mustache
08-22-2008, 02:17 AM
there definitely should be more.

hmmm maybe monthly?...bi-monthly...quarterly?

Kurious Jorge v3.1
08-22-2008, 06:28 AM
I think monthly sounds good, but maybe even two selected songs for each user (depending on how many take part) since it doesn't have to fit on a CD.

Russ
08-22-2008, 10:58 AM
"Sissy Wa Wa" - The Kropotkins

transmogrifier
08-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Hold On to Yourself - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Sven
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Pssst... it's XTC, not XTX.

bac0n
08-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Asturias - Pepe Romero

D_Davis
08-22-2008, 02:42 PM
This would be cool to do like 15 song mix-tapes, and then have someone else pick a theme or something and do the next one - this way you wouldn't have to get all the songs and host the files.

Cool idea!

Teh Sausage
08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Negativland - Neu!

D_Davis
08-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Negativland - Neu!

Nice!

Teh Sausage
08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Nice!

Yeah, gotta love that forward-flowing, 'motorik' style...I wonder if Joy Division were influenced by this because it's always reminded me of them.

D_Davis
08-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, gotta love that forward-flowing, 'motorik' style...I wonder if Joy Division were influenced by this because it's always reminded me of them.

All kinds of bands were influenced by Neu!. Shoot, Stereolab has based most of their existence on Neu! 2.

Ezee E
08-22-2008, 08:18 PM
This is going to be one weird mix.

Boner M
08-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Ooh, this sounds fun.

Eugene McDaniels - "Lovin' Man"

Melville
08-23-2008, 04:06 PM
"Knoxville Girl" - The Louvin Brothers & Tommy Cash

origami_mustache
08-23-2008, 09:33 PM
This would be cool to do like 15 song mix-tapes, and then have someone else pick a theme or something and do the next one - this way you wouldn't have to get all the songs and host the files.

Cool idea!

Alright, I'll stop at 20 songs and you can pick a theme and do the next one if you want.

D_Davis
08-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Alright, I'll stop at 20 songs and you can pick a theme and do the next one if you want.

Sure, I'm down.

Looking forward to hearing this mix!

chrisnu
08-24-2008, 04:13 AM
Portishead - "Machine Gun"

origami_mustache
08-25-2008, 04:44 PM
If there are no more additions today I will probably post the mix in the next few days.

I tagged each track as part of the Match-cut Mixtape Vol. 1 album and have numbered the them accordingly as well. In the comments box I included who submitted the song and what album the song is actually from. If anyone wants to make some sort of album art that would be pretty cool for itunes/ipod usage...I'm no good at creative photoshopping...I put this together...kind of sloppy so feel free to outdo it:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/dontslatahate/match-cut.jpg

Lasse
08-25-2008, 05:20 PM
If it's not too late...

Trolle//Siebenhaar - Sweet Dogs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJGDjnthhMw)

Ezee E
08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Lots of rep coming your way soon origami.

Winston*
08-26-2008, 12:31 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/colpot10/matchcutalbum.jpg

origami_mustache
08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the album art Winston*. The mix will be uploaded within the next few hours and will be posted in the first post. It is 158 MB compressed and you will need WinRAR (http://www.win-rar.com/downloadnow.html) or a similar program to extract it.

Lasse
08-26-2008, 06:33 PM
You have my song? Cool. :)

origami_mustache
08-26-2008, 06:33 PM
You have my song? Cool. :)

yep

origami_mustache
08-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Alright the download link is now available in the first post. Let me know if there are any problems, or if at any time the file needs to be re-upped.

Kurosawa Fan
08-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Awesome, awesome work. I've just scratched the surface. Kudos for all your efforts.

Spinal
08-27-2008, 04:21 AM
I am downloading now. I never want to see the album art again though.

Russ
08-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Initial impressions

Love: Stephen Malkmus, Bruce Kaphan, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Neu!, The Louvin Brothers, Trolle//Siebenhaar

HMs: King Crimson and Pepe Romero

I'm on a third listen, and I generally like it all, but the above stuck out the most.

The only one I actively dislike is the Genesis song (sorry Derek), which I'm very familiar with since the original release of Lamb.

origami_mustache
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Initial impressions

Love: Stephen Malkmus, Bruce Kaphan, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Neu!, The Louvin Brothers, Trolle//Siebenhaar

I'm on a third listen, and I generally like it all, but the above stuck out the most.

The only one I actively dislike is the Genesis song (sorry Derek), which I'm very familiar with since the original release of Lamb.

I pretty much like everything on here as well.
I was already familiar with the songs from Murderbot, Neutral Milk Hotel, Portishead, Nick Cave and the Badseeds, Stephen Malkmus.

favorites: King Crimson, Eugene McDaniels, XTC, Neu!, Trolle//Siebenhaar, and Kurious Jorge

Ezee E
08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Big Daddy Kane owns all.

D_Davis
08-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Initial impressions

Love: Bruce Kaphan

Cool. I was wondering how some ambient pedal steel guitar would play out here.

The dude is an amazing talent - of course, just take a look at all the albums he's played on:

http://www.brucekaphan.com/bruce/

origami_mustache
08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Big Daddy Kane owns all.

He takes the cake, but you can't get a crumb.

Russ
08-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Cool. I was wondering how some ambient pedal steel guitar would play out here.

The dude is an amazing talent - of course, just take a look at all the albums he's played on:

http://www.brucekaphan.com/bruce/
Thanks. I had already looked it up on Amazon and plan on getting that re-release. I adore ambient pedal steel, and search high and low for stuff like that. Didn't know it existed, and the only stuff that I was familiar with was some of Lanois' work with Eno on Apollo. But on listening to Kaphan, the first thing that came to my mind was the KLF's Chill Out album (which I would highly recommend to you). If you're not familiar with it, it's a mostly beatless sonic document of their roadtrip across the south-southwestern US, with relentless sampling of early morning am-radio, televangelists, trains, car horns, barking dogs, various livestock, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Elvis and lots and lots of dreamy pedal steel. It's glorious, and one of my favorite things ever.

D_Davis
08-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I don't think I've ever heard the Chillout album. I'll check it out, thanks for the rec.

I, too, wish there was more stuff like Kaphan and Lanois - their pedal steel playing is awesome, and totally unique. I wish Lanois would do a whole PSG album. Kaphan is working on a new ambient album, he said it should be done this year.

Kurosawa Fan
08-27-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm interested in Davis' thoughts on the Malkmus tune. I remember you once saying that you found his apathetic music to be terrible and an insult to music or something along those lines, but I don't see how you could listen to that song, or any song on Real Emotional Trash or Pig Lib, and describe Malkmus as apathetic whether you like the song or not.

D_Davis
08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
It's pretty good - definitely better than anything Pavement ever did, and I like its epic nature. I may check out the album. Malkmus has, at least, progressed as a song writer and musician after leaving Pavement, and the musicians he plays with now are much better.

D_Davis
08-27-2008, 05:23 PM
I like this mix - it is very eclectic. Nice job everyone, good picks.

I guess I'll do the second mix tap - I am going to pick a theme.

I'll wait a bit before launching it.

Should I start a new thread, or just do it here?

Kurosawa Fan
08-27-2008, 05:35 PM
New thread.

origami_mustache
08-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I like this mix - it is very eclectic. Nice job everyone, good picks.

I guess I'll do the second mix tap - I am going to pick a theme.

I'll wait a bit before launching it.

Should I start a new thread, or just do it here?

I would continue it here, so we can keep them going...I suppose I could copy/paste the playlist, etc. into the first post like before so it is easy to access.

D_Davis
08-27-2008, 05:38 PM
I would continue it here, so we can keep them going...I suppose I could copy/paste the playlist, etc. into the first post like before so it is easy to access.

That would be great.

bac0n
08-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Initial impressions

What pray tell does HM mean?

Duncan
08-27-2008, 08:55 PM
What pray tell does HM mean?

Honourable Mentions.

Russ
08-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Honourable Mentions.
Yeah. Thought they were pretty great, actually.

Ezee E
08-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Really liking: Kurious, XTC, Nick Cave, Neu, Portishead (but that's obvious).

origami_mustache
08-28-2008, 12:29 AM
thanks for all the rep haha...I will rep everyone for contributing as well...but apparently there is a 24 hour rep limit...so it will take some time to get to everyone.

Kurosawa Fan
08-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Okay, so Davis kind of dug the Malkmus (enough at least to give him another chance, which is awesome because I'm fairly certain he'll become a fan of his solo work). Now how about Spinal? I know your disdain for jam bands, and Malkmus would qualify. Have you listened to it? And if so, your thoughts?

Boner M
08-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Surprised that Raiders contributed a King Crimson song... I thought he wasn't a fan.

Anyway, rep to origami for the project, and being the only one to 'favorite' Eugene McDaniels. I'll listen to the whole thing later.

Boner M
08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Hmm... listening to the mix and the McDaniels song seems to be running at a slightly faster speed than normal? The music still sounds good, but the vocals are off. Here's the real version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7KisTCQ10

Sven
08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
1. Murderbot - "Onlyworld" (origami_mustache) - An exceptional blend of ambient trip-hop and assaultive techno. Love the sample choices. Maybe a little overlong or perhaps I would rather it be slightly less aimless. The segue in the middle, with the singing, is the best part. ***

2. Kurious Jorge - "I'm Kurious" (Kurious Jorge v3.1) - Truly delicious stuff. Makes me feel like cruising through the city on a warm night in a convertible. I love rap when it attempts melody. Much prefer it to the huge thumpy stuff. ****

3. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - "Real Emotional Trash" (Kurosawa Fan) - Raw and impassioned enough to pull off its length. Ironically, while too long, gets better as it goes along. Still, a little too monotonous I think. ***

4. 50 Foot Wave - "Clara Bow" (Spinal) - Dear Spinal, thanks for blowing my ears out. Yours truly, iosos. ***

5. King Crimson - "Starless" (Raiders) - oh rly? ****

6. XTC - "Easter Theatre" (Iosos) - Damn... I've got great taste. Serendipitously, this is a perfect song to follow Starless, as it feels almost like an extension (or a response), with its strings and chillaxitude. ****

7. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Gardenhead" (Duncan) - Eeeeeeh, the guitar sound is too formless, the song is too unvaried. After a couple of minutes, monotony sets in, big time. **

8. The Kropotkins - "Sissy Wa Wa" (Russ) - Truly original! Sometimes while listening to this one, I felt like I was in the presence of something alien or so far ahead of my understanding of the capabilities of music (mostly in that killer beat, comprised of what seems like a million sounds) that I was in the midst of a veritable warp of sorts. Time and space no longer mattered. ****

9. Genesis - "Back In NYC" (Derek) - Probably my favorite song on the mix. Had never heard it before. It somehow found its way into my nervous system and I began to feel the song. ****

10. Bruce Kaphan - "Clouds" (Daniel Davis) - Nice. Relaxed. Skilled. Atmospheric. Dreamy. ****

11. Big Daddy Kane - "Warm It Up Kane" (Ezee E) - Honestly, after listening to Kurious Jorge, this is weak weak weak by comparison. **

12. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Hold On To Yourself" (transmogrifier) - Excellent handling of blues form, executed with character and palpable emoting. And his voice, his voice! ****

13. Pepe Romero "Asturias" (bac0n) - All classical guitar, no matter how virtuoso, blends together into a great big ball of passable but almost entirely un-engaging in my mind. **1/2

14. Neu! - "Negativland" (Teh Sausage) - I do not see the genius of this style of German electronica. I don't mind Kraftwerk sometimes, but this whole droney rhythm-of-the-road stuff is practically the definition of humdrum. *

15. Eugene McDaniels - "Lovin' Man" (Boner M) - Maybe my second favorite song on the mix. Funkalicious. You can shake your ass to it. Love that distant filtered vocal track. ****

16. The Louvin Brothers & Tommy Cash - "Knoxville Girl" (Melville) - You clearly like old-timey country more than I do. **

17. Portishead - "Machine Gun" (chrisnu) - Why, of all Portishead songs, did you choose this one? It's so... ugly. That beat is like nails on a chalkboard. I prefer my Portishead smooth. *1/2

18. Trolle//Siebenhaar - "Sweet Dogs" (Lasse) - The instrumentations are wonderful, and the vocals are nice too, even if that breathy jazzy style has become a bit more-of-the-same by this point. Nice, groovy tune. ***1/2

Spinal
08-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Now how about Spinal? I know your disdain for jam bands, and Malkmus would qualify. Have you listened to it? And if so, your thoughts?

Not yet. Been a busy week. But I saw the Jicks open for Sleater-Kinney once and thought they were pretty good.

Spinal
08-28-2008, 03:21 PM
4. 50 Foot Wave - "Clara Bow" (Spinal) - Dear Spinal, thanks for blowing my ears out. Yours truly, iosos. ***

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Sven
08-28-2008, 03:25 PM
If it's too loud, you're too old.

I love the feedback during the verses.

Wryan
08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Keep on doing mixtapes! And please please PLEASE keep the file on megaupload or at least keep the file on hand in order to reupload it at a later time. I really want to download it (and more in the future), but I don't have an internet connection at home yet.

If anyone is taking more for a future mixtape, here's my contribution (if I'm allowed):

Nick Drake, "Three Hours"

Melville
08-29-2008, 01:26 AM
16. The Louvin Brothers & Tommy Cash - "Knoxville Girl" (Melville) - You clearly like old-timey country more than I do. **
I just love the contrast between the mellow, old-timey sound and the inexplicable, gruesome narrative.

17. Portishead - "Machine Gun" (chrisnu) - Why, of all Portishead songs, did you choose this one?
I'm guessing it's because it rocks. Hard.

chrisnu
08-29-2008, 02:05 AM
I'm guessing it's because it rocks. Hard.
That, and I wanted a song as unlike "Knoxville Girl" as possible. It took me a while to come around to it. I like messy sometimes. I didn't want a song that sounded slick, or pleasant.

Sven
08-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Keep on doing mixtapes! And please please PLEASE keep the file on megaupload or at least keep the file on hand in order to reupload it at a later time. I really want to download it (and more in the future), but I don't have an internet connection at home yet.

If anyone is taking more for a future mixtape, here's my contribution (if I'm allowed):

Nick Drake, "Three Hours"

Wait 'til it's announced, dude. Good song, though.

Sven
08-29-2008, 02:25 AM
I just love the contrast between the mellow, old-timey sound and the inexplicable, gruesome narrative.

Yeesh. That is gruesome. Can't say I approve of it anymore, but it's certainly more memorable now.

Kurosawa Fan
08-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Having listened to all of the songs twice now, here's my rankings and very brief comments (omitting my own choice):

1. Hold on to Yourself - Nick Cave is brilliant, as is this song.
2. Sweet Dogs - Breezy tune with nice female vocals is always a good combination for me.
3. Lovin' Man - I like the slow version Boner posted better than the mix. Either way, it's sick that I hadn't heard this before
4. Clara Bow - Punky tune with nice female vocals is also a great combination
5. I'm Kurious - Funky, jazzy hip hop. Very cool song.
6. Starless - Perhaps a tad too long, otherwise it may have made the top spot. Awesome choice
7. Back in NYC - How has this song eluded me? Genesis is underrated.
8. Clouds - Very laid-back. Nice.
9. Easter Theater - This one grew on me with a second spin. Could work it's way up further the more I listen.
10. Machine Gun - I prefer my Portishead dreamy and somber, but this song is still very good.
11. Warm it Up, Kane - Not up to snuff with the Jorge tune, but still a fun song.
12. Onlyworld - A bit too erratic for me, but still has its highlights. Great opening.
13. Asturias - Pleasant, but a bit bland.
14. Sissy Wa Wa - I'm going to seek out the band, because I like their sound, but this song is too repetitive.
15. Gardenhead; Leave Me Alone - One of my least favorite Neutral Milk Hotel songs.
16. Knoxville Girl - I don't care for this style of music, and it's made worse by violent, seemingly senseless lyrics
17. Negativland - Not my style at all. A complete snooze.

Melville
08-29-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm surprised that Nick Cave fans would dislike Knoxville Girl's disturbing lyrics, since Cave made a whole album of murder ballads (as well as a cover of Knoxville Girl).

Here are my general rankings:

Mesmerizing, haunting brilliance: Asturias

Awesome contrast between plaintive vocals and thudding music: Machine Gun

Great: I'm Kurious; Gardenhead - Leave Me Alone; Hold on to Yourself; Negativland; Sweet Dogs

Okay: Clouds; Onlyworld; Real Emotional Trash; lovin' man

Not my bag: Warm It Up, Kane; Starless; Easter Theatre; Sissy Wa Wa

Horribly grating: Back in N.Y.C; Clara Bow

origami_mustache
08-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm surprised that Nick Cave fans would dislike Knoxville Girl's disturbing lyrics, since Cave made a whole album of murder ballads (as well as a cover of Knoxville Girl).

I thought it was a cool choice...I craaaaave variety.

Melville
08-29-2008, 11:33 PM
I thought it was a cool choice
Excellent. You and Russ win.

Derek
08-30-2008, 12:14 AM
9. Genesis - "Back In NYC" (Derek) - Probably my favorite song on the mix. Had never heard it before. It somehow found its way into my nervous system and I began to feel the song. ****

7. Back in NYC - How has this song eluded me? Genesis is underrated.

Horribly grating: Back in N.Y.C

:pritch:

Along with Russ's outright disapproval, I couldn't have asked for a better response. Well, everyone could've loved it, but that's pretty much impossible with prog rock.

And KF, definitely check out Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (the one that song is one). They really were an amazing band while Peter Gabriel was still with them.

Boner M
08-30-2008, 01:10 AM
1. Starless - Works better in the context of the album rather than a mixtape. Still amazing.

2. Hold on to Yourself - I don't think I'd heard this Cave song before. Brooding excellence, as per usual.

3. I'm Kurious - '94 hip-hop owns all.

4. Knoxville Girl - I too, usually find it hard to warm to the old-timey country sound. But the contrapuntal lyrics transforms this into macabre awesomesauce.

5. Onlyworld - Not a huge fan of drill'n'bass, but the vocal samples are ingeniously used here.

6. Real Emotional Trash - I'm not big enough a Pavement fan to have checked out any of Malkmus' solo albums, but this is the first thing I've heard to sway me. Great jam.

7. Machine Gun - Works better on the album, after that brief ukulele-led track. Still commanding.

8. Easter Theater - Good, but like most XTC songs I've heard, something's lacking. This is the reason I haven't investigated further into them.

9. Back in NYC - See above. Only replace 'XTC' with 'Genesis', obv. And lacking with 'slightly grating'. And 'something' with 'vocals'.
10. Sweet Dogs - Nice.

11. Asturias - Also nice.

12. Clouds - Kinda reminds me of Roy Montgomery, only less adventurous. Umm, nice?

13. Warm it Up, Kane - Old school hip-hop usually leaves me cold, but this is fun.

14. Gardenhead - Always dig NMH's sound, but this isn't one of their stronger songs.

15. Negativland - Neu! have been my least favorite krautrock band, and this track is an example why. Hypnotic, sure... but where's the meat?

16. Clara Bow - Listenable, but indistinguishable from the rest of the mid-90's onslaught of lo-fi angsty grrl rock.

17. Sissy Wa Wa - Blech. Sorry.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 01:12 AM
16. Clara Bow - Listenable, but indistinguishable from the rest of the mid-90's onslaught of lo-fi angsty grrl rock.

Yeah ... no.

Boner M
08-30-2008, 01:15 AM
I hate you, Spinal.

Russ
08-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Along with Russ's outright disapproval, I couldn't have asked for a better response. Well, everyone could've loved it, but that's pretty much impossible with prog rock.

And KF, definitely check out Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (the one that song is one). They really were an amazing band while Peter Gabriel was still with them.
When Lamb came out, I so much wanted to love it...or even like it...because I was a rabid Gabriel/Genesis fan up until that release -- Selling England is an amazing album, KF, Derek's right. I adore songs like Firth of Fifth and I Know What I Like. All the early Gabriel releases are treasures, none more so than the Genesis Live release -- I really wanted to come back with that album's Musical Box, a beautifully delicate example of stunning prog, on the next mix CD, just to prove that I didn't hate Genesis.

So, why did I hate Lamb so much? Chalk it up to unrealistic expectations -- sort of like loving a particular director, and having really high hopes for his next film, and being brought back down to earth by the utter mediocrity of it all. Gabriel squealing and squawking his way through that misguided attempt at high-concept was too much for these delicate ears to handle. And I did try to love it. Oh, how I tried.

Boner M
08-30-2008, 01:16 AM
That said, I've only listened to the mix once so far, so those are merely my Pauline Kael-esque impressions.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 01:17 AM
I hate you, Spinal.

Just make it your sig already.

Boner M
08-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Just make it your sig already.
Done.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Going through the mix myself now. I think if I'm going to listen to tracks that are 10+ minutes, I really oughta be making minimum wage.

Kurosawa Fan
08-30-2008, 01:35 AM
Going through the mix myself now. I think if I'm going to listen to tracks that are 10+ minutes, I really oughta be making minimum wage.

I hate you Spinal.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 01:47 AM
I hate you Spinal.

As long as I get medical benefits and vacation pay, I can live with that.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 01:51 AM
OK, I've listened to them all, and, to be honest, the only two that make me eager for a second listen are "Sissy Wa Wa" and "Sweet Dogs". The Portishead was pretty disappointing. Kind of liked "Easter Theatre" also. The rest range from 'all right, I guess' to 'not my thing at all'.

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 01:53 AM
The Neu! hate here is disturbing. They rule. They were pioneers of drone rock, and had some amazing songs with a lot of creative production and sounds.

Boner M
08-30-2008, 01:55 AM
The Neu! hate here is disturbing. They rule. They were pioneers of drone rock, and had some amazing songs with a lot of creative production and sounds.
Respect for their influence 'n all, and it's amazing that "Negativland" could be conceived of in '71, but they're at the bottom the krautrock pile for me.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
08-30-2008, 01:56 AM
love the comments. I'll add my own track by track this weekend when I take a good listen.

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Respect for their influence 'n all, and it's amazing that "Negativland" could be conceived of in '71, but they're at the bottom the krautrock pile for me.

They're at the top of mine. The only one I listen to on any regular basis.

Boner M
08-30-2008, 02:00 AM
OK, I've listened to them all, and, to be honest, the only two that make me eager for a second listen are "Sissy Wa Wa" and "Sweet Dogs". The Portishead was pretty disappointing. Kind of liked "Easter Theatre" also. The rest range from 'all right, I guess' to 'not my thing at all'.
Misandry!

Sven
08-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Very confused how anyone could actively not like Sissy Wah Wah. It's so crazy, but not in a gimmicky way. I've never heard anything like it, and it's got killer beats and high spirits.

And yeah... Neu! should change their name to No! because seriously... no.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Very confused how anyone could actively not like Sissy Wah Wah. It's so crazy, but not in a gimmicky way. I've never heard anything like it, and it's got killer beats and high spirits.

Yeah, after a second listen to this, it's definitely my favorite. So cool.

Sven
08-30-2008, 02:12 AM
8. Easter Theater - Good, but like most XTC songs I've heard, something's lacking. This is the reason I haven't investigated further into them.

What do you suppose is lacking? And what else have you heard of theirs?

Boner M
08-30-2008, 02:21 AM
What do you suppose is lacking? And what else have you heard of theirs?
Only their hits; "Dear God", "Making Plans For Nigel", and a few others. I can't pinpoint what's lacking. Just memorability, I 'spose.

Anyway, I like the 50 Foot Wave song a lot more on second listen, and I don't actively dislike "Sissy Wa Wa" as much; it's just the refrain that annoys me.

Sven
08-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Only their hits; "Dear God", "Making Plans For Nigel", and a few others. I can't pinpoint what's lacking. Just memorability, I 'spose.

You should pick up Skylarking. If it doesn't win you over on a first listen, then I give you permission to be ambivalent.

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 02:24 AM
I greatly prefer the Dukes of Stratosphere over XTC. Same great pop songs, but with much more creative production, and sonically they are more interesting - and yet it's the same band.

Russ
08-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Skylarking
I should really get around to checking this out (I "got out" right after English Settlement, fearing they had "sold out").

Love Drums and Wires. "Helicopter" is fantabulous.

Sven
08-30-2008, 02:30 AM
I greatly prefer the Dukes of Stratosphere over XTC. Same great pop songs, but with much more creative production, and sonically they are more interesting - and yet it's the same band.

This is an opinion that makes me want to tear my hair out, mostly because it feels like disingenuous echo of Pitchfork's inanity, where I heard it voiced for the first time. You are naturally free to prefer what you like, but it is the humble opinion of this speaker that those that profess said opinion have simply not heard enough XTC, or are unwilling to consider XTC's own dynamic productions in their fullest. A lame retort, I know, but having heard both variations of the band numerous numerous times, I can't say I can pinpoint any kind of notable distinction aside from a slightly (emphasis on "slightly") keener interest in the psychedelic.

/you pushed a button

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 02:31 AM
This is an opinion that makes me want to tear my hair out, mostly because it feels like disingenuous echo of Pitchfork's inanity, where I heard it voiced for the first time. You are naturally free to prefer what you like, but it is the humble opinion of this speaker that those that profess said opinion have simply not heard enough XTC, or are unwilling to consider XTC's own dynamic productions in their fullest. A lame retort, I know, but having heard both variations of the band numerous numerous times, I can't say I can pinpoint any kind of notable distinction aside from a slightly (emphasis on "slightly") keener interest in the psychedelic.

/you pushed a button

You'll get over it.

Sven
08-30-2008, 02:32 AM
You'll get over it.

This is why I like you more than Qrazy. :)

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 02:32 AM
This is why I like you more than Qrazy. :)

I should hope so!

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 02:34 AM
I heard the Dukes first, and when I finally heard XTC, I thought they were a less interesting version of the Dukes. I like some XTC, Skylarking is good, and Oranges & Lemons was a high school staple, but when I want a dose of these lads I almost always turn to the Dukes.

Sven
08-30-2008, 02:40 AM
I heard the Dukes first, and when I finally heard XTC, I thought they were a less interesting version of the Dukes. I like some XTC, Skylarking is good, and Oranges & Lemons was a high school staple, but when I want a dose of these lads I almost always turn to the Dukes.

Your opinion is fair. The album (or EPs) is (are) definitely great stuff. I always find myself going back to Apple Venus, which is practically heresy to hardcore XTCers. And I'm definitely letting the amplitude of my irritation get the better of my words, because Dukes were definitely a project-band, so naturally the sound is going to be a bit different. That opinion just too frequently feels like a dismissal of XTC, who have amassed an incredible and incomparable body of work. I guess you could liken it to people saying they prefer Wings to The Beatles. An understandable opinion, but seemingly dismissive. You see what I'm saying?

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 02:44 AM
Your opinion is fair. The album (or EPs) is (are) definitely great stuff. I always find myself going back to Apple Venus, which is practically heresy to hardcore XTCers. And I'm definitely letting the amplitude of my irritation get the better of my words, because Dukes were definitely a project-band, so naturally the sound is going to be a bit different. That opinion just too frequently feels like a dismissal of XTC, who have amassed an incredible and incomparable body of work. I guess you could liken it to people saying they prefer Wings to The Beatles. An understandable opinion, but seemingly dismissive. You see what I'm saying?

I hear ya. By no means would I disparage or dismiss XTC.

Oh, and I really, really like Apple Venus. It's so raw, you can practically hear the strings being strummed on the electric guitars. I listened to this album frequently for about a year.

Melville
08-30-2008, 02:45 AM
I love the drone. I don't own any Neu! albums. What should I get?

I guess you could liken it to people saying they prefer Wings to The Beatles.
On an unrelated note, solo John Lennon >> The Beatles.

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 02:49 AM
I love the drone. I don't own any Neu! albums. What should I get?

Neu! 2, is my favorite. Neu! 75 is my second favorite. (both of these are available from Amazon as MP3s)

It's basically one song, performed many times, at different speeds, and with different effects. This was a huge influence on early Stereolab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neu!_2

But I like all of their stuff.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 02:55 AM
I have no idea why anyone would seek out music that is associated with the word 'drone'.

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 02:57 AM
I have no idea why anyone would seek out music that is associated with the word 'drone'.

I like all kinds of music.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 03:00 AM
I like all kinds of music.

Well, that's great. But 'drone music' makes about as much sense to me as 'dial tone music'. Me no comprehend.

Derek
08-30-2008, 03:16 AM
Well, that's great. But 'drone music' makes about as much sense to me as 'dial tone music'. Me no comprehend.

Have you listened to any of it? It's not like it's the same sound for 15 minutes. There's variety and subtlety in a lot of it and I've found some it to be among the most emotionally powerful music I've heard.

Or maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon and just say it. I hate you, Spinal.

;)

EDIT: And speaking of 'dial tone music', tell me this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZygIVDql8Bk) isn't awesome!

Spinal
08-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Or maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon and just say it. I hate you, Spinal.

Clearly you haven't seen my last post in the General Election thread.

origami_mustache
08-30-2008, 03:36 AM
I don't normally rate music like this, but why not...it is Matchcut afterall:

1. Murderbot - "Onlyworld" (origami_mustache) - 9
2. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - "Real Emotional Trash" (Kurosawa Fan) - 7
3. Bruce Kaphan - "Clouds" (Daniel Davis) - 6
4. Kurious Jorge - "I'm Kurious" (Kurious Jorge v3.1) - 8
5. 50 Foot Wave - "Clara Bow" (Spinal) - 5
6. Big Daddy Kane - "Warm It Up Kane" (Ezee E) - 6.5
7. King Crimson - "Starless" (Raiders) - 9
8. XTC - "Easter Theatre" (Iosos) - 8.5
9. Genesis - "Back In NYC" (Derek) - 7
10. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Gardenhead" (Duncan) - 8
11. The Kropotkins - "Sissy Wa Wa" (Russ) - 5.5
12. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Hold On To Yourself" (transmogrifier) - 7.5
13. Pepe Romero "Asturias" (bac0n) - 7
14. Neu! - "Negativland" (Teh Sausage) - 8
15. Eugene McDaniels - "Lovin' Man" (Boner M) - 8.5
16. The Louvin Brothers & Tommy Cash - "Knoxville Girl" (Melville) - 7.5
17. Portishead - "Machine Gun" (chrisnu) - 8.5
18. Trolle//Siebenhaar - "Sweet Dogs" (Lasse) - 8

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 03:53 AM

I've been listening to Steve Roach a lot lately, in particular his album Immersion: One. The piece is over an hour long, and it contains only the most subtle nuances of melody and harmony, without ever repeating melodies. It is considered one of the great ambient pieces of music. This kind of drone music puts the mind in a trance-like state, and it causes the brain and the body to relax. It is good music to listen to when you need to focus on a task because it creates a constant, soothing effect. It is also good to listen to when you just need to chill out. Drone music is hypnotic, and it is more subliminal in nature than music that focuses more on melody.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 04:05 AM
I don't believe in ambient music. It doesn't interest me.

Derek
08-30-2008, 05:15 AM
I don't believe in ambient music. It doesn't interest me.

I don't believe in Spinal. You don't exist.

Spinal
08-30-2008, 05:16 AM
I don't believe in Spinal. You don't exist.

*poof*

Spinal
08-30-2008, 05:24 AM
I guess I do like some ambient music. I like Badalamenti. It's just not typically what I look for. Mostly I just want you to give me a song, take me somewhere in under five minutes and then get moving onto something else.

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 05:31 AM
Not all drone music is ambient, and not all ambient is drone.

Have you listened to any of Harold Budd's and Brian Eno's stuff? It's beautiful, ambient, and melodic, and the songs are often around 5 minutes. Check out Ambient 2, and The Pearl, two of the most beautiful piano albums I've ever heard.

Or check out Marconi Union's album Distance - amazing stuff.

Or Lemondrass's Ambient Land EP.

All good stuff, and not drone-like.

Drone stuff can still be melodic, too. Early Stereolab for example.

Do you like the sitar, as an instrument?

Anywho, it's all just down to personal taste.

Teh Sausage
08-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Indeed.

Neu! > Can

Lasse
08-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised that everyone seems to like Sweet Dogs so much. But happy. :pritch:

D_Davis
08-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Neu! > Can

Oh, for sure.

Every Can song is a work in progress. Yeah, you can tell, and they need a lot of work.

Derek
09-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Oh, for sure.

Every Can song is a work in progress. Yeah, you can tell, and they need a lot of work.

:|

transmogrifier
09-02-2008, 02:29 AM
:|

Just do what I did: let it slide.

Derek
09-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Just do what I did: let it slide.

True, the awesomeness of Can is so readily apparent, it's not worth arguing.

transmogrifier
09-02-2008, 02:52 AM
True, the awesomeness of Can is so readily apparent, it's not worth arguing.

Indeed. "Could use work?" Yeah, to cut it back down to the realm of lesser styles of music.

[/likes Neu! too, so can't start a factional war]

Derek
09-02-2008, 03:39 AM
[/likes Neu! too, so can't start a factional war]

Ditto, but if a line must be drawn in the sand, my side is picked.

*awaits Davis* :)

D_Davis
09-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Ditto, but if a line must be drawn in the sand, my side is picked.

*awaits Davis* :)

Like you guys said, Can's not worth arguing about.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Listening to it now, will fill in my initial impressions as the tracks complete. (listening to the shorter songs first, too many long ones!)

1. Murderbot - "Onlyworld" (origami_mustache) - love the variations and sample choices. Good track, agree with iosos that the middle is the highlight. 7

2. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - "Real Emotional Trash" (Kurosawa Fan) - As it went on I dug it more and more. Surpirsed to see it lasted 10 minutes, didn't seem that long at all. 7.5

3. Kurious Jorge - "I'm Kurious" (Kurious Jorge v3.1) - Kurious has appeared on MF Doom tracks, including under the alias Biolante for the song 'Fastlane' off of King Geedorah's Follow the Leader. 8

4. 50 Foot Wave - "Clara Bow" (Spinal) - This song sucks. 2

5. King Crimson - "Starless" (Raiders) - Already have heard it, love it 8.5

6. Big Daddy Kane - "Warm It Up Kane" (Ezee E) - A classic that doesn't sound as outdated other songs from the classic rap era. 8

7. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Gardenhead" (Duncan) - heard this before when I was trying to figure out what the big deal was all bout with NMH. Still don't think they are great, but it's listenable 6

8. XTC - "Easter Theatre" (iosos) - Should be played at the commencement of every family easter egg hunt for added dramaticism. 7

9. Genesis - "Back In NYC" (Derek) - Phil Collins' voice is annoying. Still, I enjoyed the song up to part with the distorted robotic voice kicks in. 5

10. Bruce Kaphan - "Clouds" (Daniel Davis) - I found it too mellow with not enough differentiation to keep me from dozing off. It's kind of average 5

11. The Kropotkins - "Sissy Wa Wa" (Russ) - liked it, probably will grow on me with a few more listens. 6

12. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Hold On To Yourself" (transmogrifier) - Haven't really explored Nick Cave's work but this song is awesome! 9

13. Pepe Romero "Asturias" (bac0n) - My mind wandered away from the song while listening to it. I became more interested in making a chicken sandwich. 5

14. Neu! - "Negativland" (Teh Sausage) - Awesome! The kind of repetitiveness I love. Must seek out more. 9

15. Eugene McDaniels - "Lovin' Man" (Boner M) - The chorus ruins this song. The singer also sounds like a poor man's Joe Simon. 4

16. The Louvin Brothers & Tommy Cash - "Knoxville Girl" (Melville) - Sleep-inducing. 4

17. Portishead - "Machine Gun" (chrisnu) - The drum track sounds like the theme to 'The Terminator'. 5

18. Trolle//Siebenhaar - "Sweet Dogs" (Lasse) - Sounds like alot of other stuff thats very en vogue at the moment, but I can't that against the song, which is very pleasing on the ear. 8

Duncan
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
1. Murderbot - "Onlyworld" (origami_mustache) - Not totally my thing. I find it hard to like aggressive beats like this unless I'm drunk and dancing.

2. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - "Real Emotional Trash" (Kurosawa Fan) - I like this one. Not a huge Pavement fan, and I've never jived with Malkmus' voice.

3. Kurious Jorge - "I'm Kurious" (Kurious Jorge v3.1) - I've already forgotten which one this was.

4. 50 Foot Wave - "Clara Bow" (Spinal) - I agree with whoever said it's a bit indistinguishable from other grrl rock, but a good example of that sort of thing.

5. King Crimson - "Starless" (Raiders) - Pretty epic. Dug the journey.

6. Big Daddy Kane - "Warm It Up Kane" (Ezee E) - I should listen to more old school rap.

7. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Gardenhead" (Duncan) - On my previous laptop this is the most played song in iTunes. I love its fuzzy relentlessness.

8. XTC - "Easter Theatre" (iosos) - Maybe a little too smooth for me.

9. Genesis - "Back In NYC" (Derek) - Not a fan. Grating voice.

10. Bruce Kaphan - "Clouds" (Daniel Davis) - Sorta cerbral and relaxing. It's something I'd more likely listen to while trying to fall asleep though.

11. The Kropotkins - "Sissy Wa Wa" (Russ) - This was awesome. Will check out more.

12. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Hold On To Yourself" (transmogrifier) - I should get this album. Went through a huge Nick Cave phase 'bout a year and a half ago.

13. Pepe Romero "Asturias" (bac0n) - Really great song. Maybe my fave.

14. Neu! - "Negativland" (Teh Sausage) - This is perfect work music for me. No full enough to distract me, but persistent enough to keep me awake.

15. Eugene McDaniels - "Lovin' Man" (Boner M) - Chorus wasn't really doing it for me. Made me want to listen to "Sinner Man."

16. The Louvin Brothers & Tommy Cash - "Knoxville Girl" (Melville) - Awesome.

17. Portishead - "Machine Gun" (chrisnu) - Probably my least favourite song off the new album, but I love the last 30 seconds.

18. Trolle//Siebenhaar - "Sweet Dogs" (Lasse) - I think I would have liked it better without the male vocals punctuating the song. Reminds me of that song "What I Got" by someone rather...

I wasn't really liking the mix up until track 11, then it's solid from there on.

Kurosawa Fan
09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
2. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - "Real Emotional Trash" (Kurosawa Fan) - I like this one. Not a huge Pavement fan, and I've never jived with Malkmus' voice.

Is this an error? Did you mean to put a "didn't" in that first sentence? I'm wondering because you state that you don't like Pavement, and don't jive with Malkmus' voice, but then never state what's different about this one.

Spinal
09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't understand why you guys hate my song so much. Clearly we're looking for different things.

Duncan
09-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Is this an error? Did you mean to put a "didn't" in that first sentence? I'm wondering because you state that you don't like Pavement, and don't jive with Malkmus' voice, but then never state what's different about this one.

Not a mistake, I liked it. I just said "I'm not a huge Pavement fan..." which is highly ambiguous. Then add the second part and it's a really misleading sentence. But I actually do kinda like Pavement. I like the tension between his lo-fi roots and the crisp production during parts of this song. There's still a lot of dirt in there, but it's produced well enough that the crisper, cleaner notes really stand out. I think it makes the longer guitar interludes interesting. I dunno. Not very good at writing about music.

Kurosawa Fan
09-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Not a mistake, I liked it. I just said "I'm not a huge Pavement fan..." which is highly ambiguous. Then add the second part and it's a really misleading sentence. But I actually do kinda like Pavement. I like the tension between his lo-fi roots and the crisp production during parts of this song. There's still a lot of dirt in there, but it's produced well enough that the crisper, cleaner notes really stand out. I think it makes the longer guitar interludes interesting. I dunno. Not very good at writing about music.

No, that's totally cool. I'm not good at it either, and I didn't mean to put you on the spot, I just wondered with how your second sentence was worded whether you mistakenly said you liked it. I too think his longer guitar work is interesting (though I'd use the word amazing, or something of the like), not only on this track but on this entire album as well as Pig Lib. Anyway, I'm really glad you liked it.

bac0n
09-03-2008, 11:09 PM
My two bits:

Onlyworld - Murderbot :: one of my favorite tracks on the mix. I love the late 90s breaks mixed with the dub at the start and then how it descends into total chaos toward the end, with them literally throwing everything at us that they can. Sounds like these guys had a lotta fun putting this track together.

Real Emotional Trash - Stephan Malkmus :: Starts out kinda meh, but gets a LOT better near the four minute mark when the guitar solo kicks in. I like the fuzzy wah-wah guitar in particular.

Clouds - Bruce Kaphan :: This song hits a lotta my buttons. Has some great chord progressions, a slide guitar sound front and center. The name is appropo - this song is light fluffy and melancholy as its name. Lovely chillout song, kinda reminds me of Brian Eno qa. Apollo Atmospheres.

I'm Kurious - Kurious :: This song totally takes me back to my days in highschool listening to Yo! MTV Raps in the afternoon at my friends place. Good times. Ah, good stuff.

Clara Blow - 50 Foot Wave :: I haven't really dug punk/postpunk/hardcore/whatever since my highschool days, but this track is alright. I have a feeling it's MUCH better live (and with a nice kevlar vest to shield from the mosh-pit elbows).

Warm It Up, Kane - Big Daddy Kane :: Another oldschool rap track! And a wanna be startin' something sample! Man, there are some great rhymes to be had here.

Starless - King Crimson :: The first four minutes could be removed from this song and I'd be none the happier. The low-quality fake-sounding orchestra patch is distracting. They shoulda spent a little extra money and at least have gotten a string quartet. After that, things get much more interesting, when the song takes a sinister vibe, and then the sax kicks in and all is forgiven.

Easter Theatre - XTC :: Note to King Crimson - this is the way you're supposed to use strings in your tracks. :P Note to Sufjan Stevens - this is the way you're supposed to use brass. Note to bac0n - dust off your old XTC album.

Back in NYC - Genesis :: Liked this better the second listen through than the first. Funny to think that once upon a time, people could pound out arpeggiatos with their hands instead of punching them into the arpeggiator in your hardware/software sequencer. Could do without the lo-grade vocording, tho.

Garden Head Leave Me Alone - Neutral Milk Hotel :: NMH tends to grate on my nerves, but this song is more tolerable them most of the songs I've heard from them. Which is to say it only grates on my nerves a little.

Sally Wa Wa - The Kropotkins :: The first time through I made it about 3/4 the way through before I couldn't take it any more and had to skip to the next track. There are parts that are kinda cool, but the singer... ugh.

Hold On To Yourself - Nick Fuckin' Cave & The Bad Seeds :: Nick Cave. What more can be said? With that my god! what have I done? shake to his voice, he has just about the best vocal delivery on the planet. This is one of my fave songs of his.

Asturias - Pepe Romero :: I love this song. Which is why I recommended it.

Negativland - Neu! :: Interesting sonics, but I get the feeling that they found this four measure bassline that they sorta liked and spent close to ten minutes trying to stretch it out by playing with the flange knob on their effects processor.

Lovin' Man - Eugene McDaniels :: Liked the vibe of this tune, the sincerity and skill of the man's voice.

Knoxville Girl - The Louvin Brothers :: Egad, what a ghastly tune. I'm talking about the lyrics, btw. Horrifying, which makes the old western genre in which the song is placed rather ironic. I could totally see this on the soundtrack to a Quentin Tarrantino movie.

Machine Gun - Portishead :: I love this song. Not what I'm used to from Portishead, but pretty cool nonetheless. But then again, the lead singer could yodel in front of a jews harp and I'd still be mesmerized.

Sweet Dogs - Trolle :: This might be my favorite track on the mix. I will be needing to check this band out.

Raiders
09-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm almost positive "live" strings would have sounded ridiculous at the beginning of "Starless." It would be a tonally divergent sound.

D_Davis
09-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Pretty sure KC used a mellotron for those string parts. This instrument was among the first (the first?) sample-playback keyboards ever made. When you play a note, or series of notes, it plays back tape recordings of actual string instruments at the necessary pitch. The Beatles were among the first rock bands to use the instrument, and, incidentally, I actually got to play the exact mellotron they used at Abby Road.

bac0n
09-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Pretty sure KC used a mellotron for those string parts. This instrument was among the first (the first?) sample-playback keyboards ever made. When you play a note, or series of notes, it plays back tape recordings of actual string instruments at the necessary pitch. The Beatles were among the first rock bands to use the instrument, and, incidentally, I actually got to play the exact mellotron they used at Abby Road.

Indeed. The mellotron has a certain legendary status among gearheads. And as for you playing the actual Mellotron the beatles used? JEALOUS.

Derek
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Finally got around to listening a second time. Ratings out of **** and some brief thoughts:

1) Murderbot - "Onlyworld" **1/2

The combination of speed/harshness made this grating after a while.

2) Stephen Malkmus - "Real Emotional Trash" ****

Great song, great jam. Definitely favorite track from the new album. I should probably get around to some of his other "solo" work, so I'll give Pig Lib a shot.

3) Bruce Kaphan - "Clouds" ***

Dreamy, atmospheric stuff. Definitely works as background music and I don't mean that as an insult.

4) Kurious Jorge - "I'm Kurious" ***

Killer beat and I love the inclusion of the 8-bit sounds, flute, violin, etc. but the guy's voice doesn't do much for me and it doesn't develop into anything interesting enough to make me forget that. Still good.

5) 50 Foot Wave - "Clara Bow" **

I feel like I've heard this song, but maybe it's the 3 chords that sound familiar.

6) Big Daddy Kane - "Warm It Up, Kane" ***

Simple, but catchy and fun. Can't argue with that.

7) King Crimson - "Starless" ***1/2

Smoooooth prog. The guitarwork seems almost a bit too slow and deliberate at times, but I love the way it builds and I was totally sucked in after a few minutes.

8) XTC - "Easter Theatre" ****

I've only heard Skylarking and English Settlement, but still, this may be my new favorite XTC song. I especially love how the almost off-key sections give way into these beautiful explosions of harmony..."stage friiiight!" (at least I think that's what they're singing).

9) Genesis - "Back in NYC" ****

10) Neutral Milk Hotel - "Gardenhead - Leave Me Alone" ***

I love NMH to death, but of all songs to pick...this one? But I [heart] Jeff Mangum, so of course I like it.

11) The Kropotkins - "Sissy Wa Wa" **

Like Bac0n said, there are some flashes of coolness, but that voice is tough to listen to.

12) Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "Hold Onto Yourself" ****

This was already one of my favorite songs of the year and one of the best I've heard from Cave.

13) Pepe Romero - "Asturias" **1/2

If I'm in Spain sitting in park next to Scarlett Johannsen, I'd totally dig this more. Impressive finger-picking obviously, but not my thing.

14) Neu! - "Negativland" ****

My favorite Neu! track. I love the repetitious nature of krautrock, especially when there's such a variety of awesomeness going on around that bass line. My favorite song on the mix.

15) Eugene McDaniels - "Lovin' Man" ***

Song's got soul.

16) The Louvin Brothers - "Knoxville Girl" *

When I tell people I hate country music, this is the kind I'm referring to.

17) Portishead - "Machine Gun" ***

One of the weaker songs off Third IMO, but still good.

18) Trolle//Siebenhaar - "Sweet Dogs" ***1/2

Patient yet groovy. Love the female singer and the use of strings/harmonica. I kinda wish it built into something more, but it's pretty great as it is.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
09-12-2008, 03:12 AM
8) XTC - "Easter Theatre" ****

I've only heard Skylarking and English Settlement, but still, this may be my new favorite XTC song. I especially love how the almost off-key sections give way into these beautiful explosions of harmony..."stage friiiight!" (at least I think that's what they're singing).

it's stage riiiiight

Derek
09-12-2008, 05:08 AM
it's stage riiiiight

Ah, good to know. As I mentioned in the other thread, I rarely pay much attention to lyrics, but I was trying to make that part out.

Philosophe_rouge
09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Awesome guys, I got the first mix, in the process of the others. Some wonderful discoveries :)

bac0n
09-12-2008, 01:42 PM
13) Pepe Romero - "Asturias" **1/2

If I'm in Spain sitting in park next to Scarlett Johannsen, I'd totally dig this more.

Dude, if I was in Spain sitting in the park next to Scarlett Johannsen, I wouldn't be able to hear the song over the thundering voice in my head screaming don't let he see you looking at her boobies, don't let her see you looking at her boobies...

chrisnu
09-18-2008, 01:01 AM
I know, I'm really late, but here goes...

Really like: "Onlyworld", "Starless", "Easter Theatre", "Hold on to Yourself", "Negativland" (my favorite)

Like: "Clouds", "Real Emotional Trash", "I'm Kurious", "Back In N.Y.C.", "Lovin' Man", "Sweet Dogs"

Meh: "Warm It Up, Kane", "Gardenhead - Leave Me Alone", "Sissy Wa Wa", "Clara Bow"

WTF: "Knoxville Girl". :eek: :eek: :eek: