PDA

View Full Version : Best Non-Mac Laptops?

DavidSeven
08-20-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm in the market for a new one and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The best combination of portability, specs, and durability will be deciding factor. Portability and top line specs are especially crucial. The laptop will be for mostly non-personal use, which is why I'm excluding Apple here. Any suggestions?

number8
08-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Oxymoron.

<-- Not helpful.

Acapelli
08-20-2008, 01:51 AM
thinkpad?

MadMan
08-20-2008, 02:05 AM
I'm actually curious about this question myself, considering that down the road I hope to purchase another laptop or even a desktop computer. I currently own a Mac laptop so I'm no help in the question department.

Dukefrukem
08-20-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm the laptop master here. Anyone wants help, I'm the Director of Operations at Notebookforums.com. (http://www.notebookforums.com/member.php?u=13722)

My first question to people who are interested in a new laptop is; rank in onder what is mos important to you in the following catagories; portibility/battery life, performance, ability to play high res games and aesthetics.

DavidSeven
08-20-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm the laptop master here. Anyone wants help, I'm the Director of Operations at Notebookforums.com. (http://www.notebookforums.com/member.php?u=13722)

My first question to people who are interested in a new laptop is; rank in onder what is mos important to you in the following catagories; portibility/battery life, performance, ability to play high res games and aesthetics.

1. Portability/Battery Life (will be primarily used outside of home)
2. Performance
3. Aesthetics
4. Ability to Play High Res games (not important at all)

Willing to invest a decent amount, but won't ignore cheaper models if there are good ones out there.

Kurosawa Fan
08-20-2008, 12:49 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite and love it. I'm certainly not an expert on computers, so I can't say it's better than other models when it comes to the specifics you're looking for, but it's been a solid, reliable machine for me after having a few disappointments in years prior.

megladon8
08-20-2008, 01:03 PM
I honestly don't know about laptops, DS, but I know that my sister is buying one very soon for school, so I'll let you know what she gets and how it turns out.

Dukefrukem
08-20-2008, 01:41 PM
1. Portability/Battery Life (will be primarily used outside of home)
2. Performance
3. Aesthetics
4. Ability to Play High Res games (not important at all)

Willing to invest a decent amount, but won't ignore cheaper models if there are good ones out there.

Couple more questions; What is your ideal screen size and do you prefer windows over other OS?

shaun
08-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I have a Dell XPS M1330.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3826

I wanted something in a 13" screen. It's very thin and portable, even more so with the excellent LED screen. Beefy specs. Red (the color of sexy). I couldn't be happier with it.

Dukefrukem
08-20-2008, 02:27 PM
You write that?

shaun
08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
No.

DavidSeven
08-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Couple more questions; What is your ideal screen size and do you prefer windows over other OS?

Probably around 13 inches would do the job.

That's what she said.

It has to be a Windows OS.

Dukefrukem
08-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Probably around 13 inches would do the job.

That's what she said.

It has to be a Windows OS.

Dell XPS M1330

13.3 screen, 3.9 pounds, option for an LED display and 3 hours of battery life with an option for a second battery

or

Sony Vaio Z Series

13.1 screen, 3.3 pounds and an option for a 9 hours battery!
also has HDMI out and one of the best screens on a notebook (like all Sony notebooks)

shaun
08-21-2008, 01:03 AM
M1330 has an HDMI out as well just in case you ever need it.

It also has a fingerprint reader that never gets used. Although it does come in handy when you want to tell people that it has a fingerprint reader.