PDA

View Full Version : Wristcutters: A Love Story

eternity
11-10-2007, 08:34 PM
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1159264/photo_35.jpg

Trailer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Kdqfp6_6rY)

Brilliance. Pure fucking brilliance.

Boner M
11-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Looks less annoying than the titles promises. The Sossamon factor will likely get my ass in a theatre seat if it ever arrives here.

origami_mustache
11-10-2007, 11:03 PM
The Assistant director of the film was telling me about the premise a while ago. I haven't seen a trailer, but it sounds interesting, especially with Tom Waits and Will Arnett attached.

origami_mustache
11-10-2007, 11:09 PM
The Assistant director of the film was telling me about the premise a while ago. I haven't seen a trailer, but it sounds interesting, especially with Tom Waits and Will Arnett attached.

Just watched the trailer and now have no desire to see this. Although I will be downloading the soundtrack.

eternity
11-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Just watched the trailer and now have no desire to see this. Although I will be downloading the soundtrack.You'd be doing yourself a disservice. It's really good.

NickGlass
11-11-2007, 04:58 PM
You'd be doing yourself a disservice. It's really good.

No, not really.

My fundamental problem with this film, and it's not a small one, is that it creates a world that it cannot sustain. The idea of a depressing purgatory is intriguing, surely, but the netherworld that people who commit suicide fall into should have been one of the main characters. Instead, the setting is thinly sketched and aggressive about not answering any of your questions. It's more about just turning the camera to a slightly grainy blue and adding an eccentricity every once in a while ("Oh yeah, there's a black hole here," "Yeah, people can levitate").

It is just blithe entertainment and, in the filmmaker's most clever move, they've made sure not to give the audience much to think about because the whole film would fall apart if the viewer actually tried to make sense of all that was happening.

lovejuice
11-11-2007, 05:06 PM
No, not really.

but to be honest though, 5.5 from you is quite a recommendable score. as silly as rating systems may be, if this movie is only 1 or half score lower than once, i might actually consider it. i mean, you like it even more than lust, caution.

MadMan
11-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I think it will either be really touching, funny and cool or incredibly disappointing and annoying in a stark indie sort of way. The vibe I got from the trailer was a good one though, and it does sport a solid premise. I'd say overall it looks like a rental at best for now.

Briare
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
The film impresses because its completely deadpan, inspired by Jarmusch and that much is obvious.

DavidSeven
03-30-2008, 09:42 PM
My memory of this one is already fading into oblivion some 12 hours later. It's a pretty unambitious piece of romantic-comedy storytelling surrounded by an ambitious sci-fi premise. However, as Nick points out, keeping it simple may work to the film's advantage. It really is a pretty entertaining ride as long as you don't stop to think about its absurdity. Sossamon also works as a nice diversion because she's just all sorts of appealing. It's really only until the ridiculous ending that you realize how much this whole thing comes apart with just a little bit of thought. As nonsensical and insubstantial as the entire affair is, it still does the job as a marginally satisfying time filler.

Kurosawa Fan
03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
My memory of this one is already fading into oblivion some 12 hours later.

I believe you mean "fading into bolivian".

Izzy Black
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Enjoyable flick. The 'Joy Division' cue seemed appropriate.