PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics Discussion Thread (ODT)

Pages : [1] 2

Sycophant
08-13-2008, 06:54 PM
'Cause GTFO of my Random Thoughts. I want to post about sandwiches or something.

Also, is my memory failing me, or are people much more into the Olympics than usual this year?

Kurosawa Fan
08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
I just posted a response to this in the Random Thoughts thread.

Sycophant
08-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I just posted a response to this in the Random Thoughts thread.You cad.

Kurosawa Fan
08-13-2008, 07:07 PM
:lol:

bac0n
08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/kat15lee/win.gif

Saya
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Just watched a summary of the women's team gymnastics. I feel bad for that poor girl from the US that screwed up her events. Shawn Johnson was really good though. But damn, some of those Chinese gymnastic girls look like 9 years old.

I also watched the diving earlier, which was pretty cool actually. Those two little Chinese girls were amazing.

The football is a little bit disappointing so far. The pitch is bad and the plays are boring. Maybe it's because it's mostly young guys.

Overall, I'm loving the Olympics so far. Bring on the rest!

MadMan
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Phelps is a stud monkey. But people are forgetting that the rest of the US men's swim team is badass, too. Most of the US's medals have come from swimming, which is crazy.

Other events I've watched:

*Water polo, which is strangely interesting to see. I still don't quite understand it, but I'd like to play it one day.

*Gymnastics. The scoring is a bit strange to me, but I love the crazy moves people pull off in those contests.

*Swimming, of course. I've seen Phelps and the men's team swim a bunch of times. Plus the women's team swim as well.

*Volleyball. I've watched men's and women's doubles, and seen team volleyball as well. The sport is slowly growing on me for some odd reason. I can't explain why.

Arthur Seaton
08-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Obsessively watching--on NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, USA here in the States.

Baseball (good game today between USA and S. Korea)
Swimming
Diving
Volleyball
Gymnastics
Water Polo
Archery
Tennis (Go Federer)
Kayaking (Bronze medal for Togo! Yay!)
Hell, I'm even watching the horsies (equestrian dressage).

Did anyone see that Hungarian weightlifter dislocate his elbow? Ouch.
Icky pictures here. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1044258/Pictured-The-horrific-moment-Olympic-weightlifter-turns-elbow-front.html)

DavidSeven
08-14-2008, 07:22 AM
As long as we're talking Olympics ... Spanish basketball team. Wow. What were they thinking?

Their refusal to acknowledge any actual wrongdoing is even more troubling. The sponsor who took the photo also plans to keep running the ad that it's a part of. Spain... not looking good right now.

Duncan
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Their refusal to acknowledge any actual wrongdoing is even more troubling. The sponsor who took the photo also plans to keep running the ad that it's a part of. Spain... not looking good right now.

Yeah, I think Spain is kind of a racist country. At least, that's the impression I got while I was there. I even read a Spanish magazine article where the author was basically jumping up and down saying, look, we're about 4 decades behind most western countries when it comes to this stuff. There are also giant billboards in Barcelona advertising things using the caricatured faces of black people. Ghost World style. Not everyone approves, surely, but the fact is stuff like that is there and it's quite off putting.

Kurosawa Fan
08-14-2008, 04:22 PM
James Blake defeats Federer!!!

:pritch: :pritch: :pritch:

Hugh_Grant
08-14-2008, 04:26 PM
James Blake defeats Federer!!!

:pritch: :pritch: :pritch:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great, what am I going to do for eye candy?

Kurosawa Fan
08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
It was straight sets no less. Federer has fallen hard since Wimbledon. Blake now has a chance to medal.

Arthur Seaton
08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
It was straight sets no less. Federer has fallen hard since Wimbledon. Blake now has a chance to medal.
Blake will probably have to face Nadal at some point, right? I'd root for Blake to beat Mr. Capri-wearer.

Kurosawa Fan
08-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Blake will probably have to face Nadal at some point, right? I'd root for Blake to beat Mr. Capri-wearer.

If they both make the final. If Blake wins his next match, he's guaranteed at least silver. If he loses, he'll play in a bronze medal match.

Benny Profane
08-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Blake now has a chance to medal.

You don't say?

Kurosawa Fan
08-14-2008, 04:42 PM
You don't say?

:lol:

Yeah, that sounded funny. I didn't think he had much of a chance before considering he'd never beat Federer, and he needed to go through him to reach the medal stand.

We really need a smilie that's giving the middle finger.

Arthur Seaton
08-14-2008, 04:47 PM
These pics are not for the faint of heart:

Hungarian weightlifter dislocates elbow. (http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1044258/Pictured-The-horrific-moment-Olympic-weightlifter-turns-elbow-front.html)

Eeeee...

Benny Profane
08-14-2008, 04:49 PM
These pics are not for the faint of heart:

Hungarian weightlifter dislocates elbow. (http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1044258/Pictured-The-horrific-moment-Olympic-weightlifter-turns-elbow-front.html)

Eeeee...

That pansy needs to spit on that elbow, put some duct tape around it and get back underneath the bar.

D_Davis
08-14-2008, 07:36 PM
This article is awesome:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/gymnastics/news/story?id=3534544

Gymnasts have to be 16 during the Olympic year to be eligible for the Games. He's birthday is listed as Jan. 1, 1992.Really China? January 1, 1992? Could you pick a more suspect birth date?

He herself told reporters after Wednesday's final that "my real age is 16. I don't pay any attention to what everyone says."
:frustrated:

Asked whether the federation had changed their ages to make them eligible, Zhang said: "We are a sports department. How would we have the ability to do that?"A state sponsored sports department perhaps?

"We already explained this very clearly. There's no need to discuss this thing again."
Well, if you say so!

Man, fake fireworks, walls being built to hide ugly shops, a prettier girl lip syncing to hide the uglier one who actually sang, and now this?

I guess when the government cheats for you, it's okay!

Crazy.

Another one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/sports/olympics/27gymnasts.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

shaun
08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Michael Phelps' daily diet. His lunch would last me 3 days.

Breakfast: three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise, two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread, 1,000 calories of energy drinks.

Dinner: a pound of pasta and an entire pizza, 1000 calories worth of energy drinks.

12,000 caloriesHe must crap constantly.

D_Davis
08-14-2008, 07:52 PM

He must crap constantly.

I don't eat that much in a month.

Man, if we got rid of Olympic athletes, we could feed the world's starving children!

Fezzik
08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
He herself told reporters after Wednesday's final that "my real age is 16. I don't pay any attention to what everyone says."

I agree with the rest of your frustrations, but to be fair, the gymnast's name is "He."

He Kinan or something like that, so the article was correct there, as odd as it looks :)

Benny Profane
08-14-2008, 07:54 PM

He must crap constantly.

He is not what you'd call "carbon neutral".

D_Davis
08-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I agree with the rest of your frustrations, but to be fair, the gymnast's name is "He."

He Kinan or something like that, so the article was correct there, as odd as it looks :)

I know - just a little imperialistic joking.

Wryan
08-14-2008, 09:09 PM

He must crap constantly.

I don't want to be there when he gets off that daily diet. That's gonna be a gargantuan crash.

Ezee E
08-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't want to be there when he gets off that daily diet. That's gonna be a gargantuan crash.
I'd venture to say that food diet is not true.

MadMan
08-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Well Phelps does burn, what, tons of calories everytime he swims? So that diet does make sense to me. But yeah I wouldn't want to climb down off of that diet after the Olympics end.

I do think an investigation into whether or not some of China's athletes were too young to compete in the games should be launched. But will it happen? Probably not.

Man the US men's and women's swim teams did good tonight. Especially the men's, who won four medels-two golds, one silver, one bronze. And the women's won gold and bronze. Cool.

origami_mustache
08-15-2008, 08:08 AM
might as well get it out of the way now...

USA! USA! USA!

DavidSeven
08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Sick Alley-oop from Wade to Kobe Against Greece. Shades of Vince-sanity. (http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0814_HD_BKM _AU_L1659)

Raiders
08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm glad the two girls got gold and silver yesterday. I was nervous for a while as that judging was all kinds of wonky.

origami_mustache
08-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm glad the two girls got gold and silver yesterday. I was nervous for a while as that judging was all kinds of wonky.

Yeah, it looked like it was going to end up like that ice skating scandal in 2002 for a little bit there.

Arthur Seaton
08-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, Blake still has a chance to medal, but it won't be gold. He just lost his match with Fernando Gonzalez.

Kurosawa Fan
08-15-2008, 01:57 PM
The judging has been awful from the start. Still, GO NASTIA!!! WOOOO!!!

Raiders
08-16-2008, 02:17 AM
:eek:

Wow.

Fezzik
08-16-2008, 04:35 AM
:eek:

Wow.

If that was a reaction to the Men's 100m Butterfly Final, I totally agree :)

origami_mustache
08-16-2008, 05:16 AM
sick

Qrazy
08-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Yeah I don't know about that swimming race...

Morris Schæffer
08-16-2008, 11:54 AM
BELGIUM - ITALY 3-2!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, Belgium needed this. Fucking awesome!!!!!!!!

origami_mustache
08-16-2008, 01:51 PM
now if only Cameroon beats Brazil

Kurosawa Fan
08-16-2008, 02:07 PM
BELGIUM - ITALY 3-2!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, Belgium needed this. Fucking awesome!!!!!!!!

FUCK YEAH!!!

:pritch::pritch::pritch:

Kurosawa Fan
08-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Oh, and that Phelps race was just crazy. Eight is on the way, for sure.

Saya
08-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Holy crap Usain Bolt just ran a new world record on the 100m.

He was already celebrating before he crossed the line. :P

Winston*
08-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I recant my previously stated opinion of the Olympics. And furthermore: We have medals!!!1!!!

Scar
08-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah I don't know about that swimming race...

You didn't watch the super-uber-duper-mega slow-mo did you?

Raiders
08-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Whoa. I didn't even know there was a trampoline event. This is awesome.

Morris Schæffer
08-16-2008, 08:38 PM
FUCK YEAH!!!

:pritch::pritch::pritch:

For once we're in agreement. The Belgian national soccer team has had to endure a lot the past 2.5 years. Frankly, they've been terrible, but finally there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Now here's hoping they'll confirm tuesday.:)

MadMan
08-17-2008, 05:23 AM
PHELPS HAS 8 GOLD MEDELS! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! :pritch: That was just flat out awesome. And he won it thanks to his team, too. The US just flat out rocked it this year in swimming.

origami_mustache
08-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Just watched S. Korea women's team win bronze in table tennis against Japan...both teams were so intense...fist pumping after every point and the Korean's broke down in tears of joy after winning...oh I love it.

unreal...cannot wait to see him run to 400m and 200m

D_Davis
08-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Yeah, he wasn't even trying those last 5-10 meters. That was amazing.

Benny Profane
08-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Anyone agree that Michael Phelps looks a bit like Georghe Muresan?

Qrazy
08-17-2008, 04:10 PM
You didn't watch the super-uber-duper-mega slow-mo did you?

I saw it in a bar but then I saw it online later so yeah I'm convinced now.

Qrazy
08-17-2008, 04:11 PM
PHELPS HAS 8 GOLD MEDELS! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! :pritch: That was just flat out awesome. And he won it thanks to his team, too. The US just flat out rocked it this year in swimming.

Is that every event he competed in?

MadMan
08-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Is that every event he competed in?No, but he did compete in three relay events and five individual events. So yeah his team helped him out. Plus the last event to break the record was a relay event.

Qrazy
08-17-2008, 09:13 PM
No, but he did compete in three relay events and five individual events. So yeah his team helped him out. Plus the last event to break the record was a relay event.

Why no? Sounds like yes, he didn't compete in more than 8 events correct?

Raiders
08-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Why no? Sounds like yes, he didn't compete in more than 8 events correct?

Right. He won gold in all eight of his events.

Qrazy
08-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Right. He won gold in all eight of his events.

Is there a limit to the number of events you're allowed to compete in? Or is it just qualifying issues?

origami_mustache
08-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Is there a limit to the number of events you're allowed to compete in? Or is it just qualifying issues?

I don't think there is a limit...I'm sure Phelps could have won even more if the events were spaced out more to allow for recovery time.

origami_mustache
08-18-2008, 05:22 AM
I have no clue on how the scoring is done in gymnastics so I cannot tell if Béla Károlyi's declaration of a "ripoff" is an over reaction due to bias or not, but it does seem that the U.S. scores are being judged a bit harshly in comparison to others.

Raiders
08-18-2008, 01:19 PM
I have no clue on how the scoring is done in gymnastics so I cannot tell if Béla Károlyi's declaration of a "ripoff" is an over reaction due to bias or not, but it does seem that the U.S. scores are being judged a bit harshly in comparison to others.

Well, the announcer said there was .8 deduction for the fall-down landing and I heard ranges from .5 to .8 for the complete fuck up she had on the position on the vault, so right there it is anywhere from 1.3 to 1.5 in deductions. She started with a 6.5 difficulty, so to achieve the 15.025 I believe she got, she would have had to score an 8.525 on execution. Considering the amount of deductions on just those two aspects (and it seems there would have been even more), her score seems very high.

Raiders
08-19-2008, 03:20 AM
So, the IOC has decided that rather than awarding the competitors two gold medals, as they would deserve, we should let some computer decide which deserves the gold. Right.

megladon8
08-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Is anyone else bothered by these rather disturbing reports of how China has been handling the Olympics?

Offering TV stations complete freedom to come in and film the Olympics, then going against their word and going over all footage with a fine-tooth comb before being sent out.

Digitally editing out/filtering any images showing the living conditions of the people.

Banning reporters and news stations from re-entering the country when they try to report on strange goings-on surrounding the murder of that coach's relative.

Lying about their athletes' ages.

The world knew they were a communist country going in, but this seems like overly shady behaviour.

I look forward to hearing what the athletes and their families have to say when they come home and can speak about these things freely.

origami_mustache
08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Not that shady compared to what I'd expect.

Duncan
08-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I'd be shocked if they didn't filter out images of the living conditions.

Benny Profane
08-19-2008, 01:05 PM
I look forward to hearing what the athletes and their families have to say when they come home and can speak about these things freely.

The athletes spend most of their time in the Olympic Village, and I'm sure most of the parents aren't straying too far from the touristy parts of the cities.

What do you expect them to come home and spout? "China is a communist country that's rapidly developing that has lots of poor people living in unhealthy conditions and treats its poor like crap".

Nothing new.

I spent three weeks in China for business and that's pretty much what I ascertained. Unless these athletes are journalists on the side, I doubt they're really digging into political stories over there. They came to live their dream and have some fun.

Ezee E
08-19-2008, 01:50 PM
The athletes spend most of their time in the Olympic Village, and I'm sure most of the parents aren't straying too far from the touristy parts of the cities.

What do you expect them to come home and spout? "China is a communist country that's rapidly developing that has lots of poor people living in unhealthy conditions and treats its poor like crap".

Nothing new.

I spent three weeks in China for business and that's pretty much what I ascertained. Unless these athletes are journalists on the side, I doubt they're really digging into political stories over there. They came to live their dream and have some fun.
And who can blame them?

16 is of legal age over there right? RIGHT?

shaun
08-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Bolt breaks Michael Johnson's 12 year old WR in the 200m.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/trackandfield/news/story?id=3544110

origami_mustache
08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Bolt breaks Michael Johnson's 12 year old WR in the 200m.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/trackandfield/news/story?id=3544110

Bolt is just sick....too bad he couldn't run the 400m...I heard one of the announcers say they think it might be his best race, so I'm sure he will break that record at some point as well.

Ezee E
08-20-2008, 03:36 PM
With a name like Bolt, you're destined for records.

Now this absolutely kills the Disney movie.

origami_mustache
08-20-2008, 03:55 PM
btw what's the deal with all of the US track and field medal favorites choking?

-Lolo Jones hits second to last hurdle to got from 1st to out of medal contention
-Sanya Richards "cramps up" in final stretch of 400m
-Bernard Legat and Tyson Gay don't even make finals
-Reese Hoffa doesn't medal in shot put

MadMan
08-20-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm really happy for Shawn Johnson. Its great that she got to leave the games with a gold. She also happens to be from Des Moines, Iowa, so the local media here is going crazy over her. My local newspaper's sports page had a big front page spread for her.

origami_mustache
08-21-2008, 10:23 PM
The 50 Hottest Female Olympians Of The 2008 Summer Olympics (http://sports.popcrunch.com/the-50-hottest-female-olympians-of-the-2008-summer-olympics/)

should have included (http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/75838570.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193954D25304569 000475BC00F05FD495C5284831B75F 48EF45)

Raiders
08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
The 50 Hottest Female Olympians Of The 2008 Summer Olympics (http://sports.popcrunch.com/the-50-hottest-female-olympians-of-the-2008-summer-olympics/)

This site doesn't work for me. All I get are banner ads.

origami_mustache
08-21-2008, 10:29 PM
This site doesn't work for me. All I get are banner ads.

hmmm link works for me...it should be on the digg.com homepage

Ezee E
08-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I was wondering where #2 was going to show up.

And origami is right, they should have included that girl.

Raiders
08-22-2008, 01:08 AM
US runners choke again in Men's 4x100 relay.

Raiders
08-22-2008, 01:19 AM
US runners choke again in Men's 4x100 relay.

... and the women made sure they didn't feel too bad about it.

Spinal
08-22-2008, 03:24 AM
should have included (http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/75838570.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193954D25304569 000475BC00F05FD495C5284831B75F 48EF45)

She's got my vote.

Milky Joe
08-22-2008, 03:31 AM
Michael Phelps Returns to His Tank at Sea World (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/michael_phelps_returns_to_his_ tank)

Winston*
08-22-2008, 03:31 AM
I can't see this image, so I'm just going to assume it's a picture of Shawn Johnson and that you, Bialas and Spinal are perverts.

origami_mustache
08-22-2008, 03:59 AM
... and the women made sure they didn't feel too bad about it.

poor Tyson Gay...that is heartbreaking...same thing happened to me at the state track meet...we were blowing everyone away as I went to handoff to the anchor and he couldn't grab the baton. :(

I can't see this image, so I'm just going to assume it's a picture of Shawn Johnson and that you, Bialas and Spinal are perverts.

hahaha...well not thaaat perverted, but maybe a little...

it is the tall 19 year old Chinese beach volleyball player.

MadMan
08-22-2008, 05:48 AM
So apparently the IOC has decided that the allegations that some of the Chinese gymnastics team are not under age are unfounded and not true. Bullshit is my response.

However it was awesome to see the men's volleyball team upset the Brazilians in sand volleyball. Good stuff. Plus I got to finally watch some table tennis the other night. Man that stuff is really cool.

Saya
08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/24pm3wh.jpg

Morris Schæffer
08-23-2008, 05:41 PM
GOLD!!!!!!!!

GO BELGIUM!!!!!!

Fezzik
08-24-2008, 06:18 AM
I am so pissed at NBC right now. I stayed up late to watch the Men's Volleyball final. Instead of showing that (with the US riding an emotional roller coaster to get there), they showed Table Tennis.

I had to keep refreshing the Olympics website to keep up with the match, because on their live streaming service, they were showing team handball.

Come on, guys, I know there are other sports out there but you're an American Broadcast company. NO love for the Volleyball team?

By the way, if you want to know...

U S A! U S A! Gold medal for the USA in Men's Volleyball, defeating Brazil 3 games to 1! There are going to be so many tears shed tonight...this week has been an emotional tidal wave for them and their coach.

Way to gut it out, guys! I'm proud of you!

origami_mustache
08-24-2008, 06:31 AM
4x400 relays gave me chills...that was my race!

Milky Joe
08-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Cuban taekwondo athlete banned for life after kicking ref. (http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Cuban_taekwondo_athlete_banned _after_kicking_0823.html)

http://ap.google.com/media/ALeqM5icC0h7JReIYX2MTKRBI6pFEJ 7-4w?size=m

Dayum.

chrisnu
08-24-2008, 06:22 PM
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8831/goldmedalgame08240804ea5.jpg

Ezee E
08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Best Olympics in a long, long time. Since '96 maybe?

chrisnu
08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
This play was just ridiculous. The Blazers must be happy; Rudy's theirs...

http://i36.tinypic.com/mkynva.gif

origami_mustache
08-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Best Olympics in a long, long time. Since '96 maybe?

Yes, a lot of memorable stuff...sad to see it end :(
I no longer have a reason to turn on the television.

Saya
08-26-2008, 06:18 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/2wp8io0.jpg

Here's the youtube version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhjwnsVUeto

MadMan
08-26-2008, 06:30 PM
That photo shop gif of Phelps choking Cavic is just priceless. The YouTube version is even better.

number8
08-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Olympics: national pride, or excuse for fuckfests? (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4582421.ece)

MadMan
08-27-2008, 02:34 AM
Olympics: national pride, or excuse for fuckfests? (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4582421.ece)Yeah it doesn't surprise me that the Olympics is one big orgy. Sounds pretty sweet to me though :lol:

[ETM]
07-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Only Danny Boyle can think of, implement and get away with the idea of opening the Olympic games with James Bond and the Queen jumping out of a helicopter into the stadium. :D

kuehnepips
07-27-2012, 10:11 PM
;433299']Only Danny Boyle can think of, implement and get away with the idea of opening the Olympic games with James Bond and the Queen jumping out of a helicopter into the stadium. :D

Priceless. :lol:

Only the English can place The Black Rowan there ...

Morris Schæffer
07-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Anyone watch the opening ceremony of the London olympics? I've never seen one, but boy what a way to get started. Brilliant spectacle, as directed by Danny Boyle. Daniel Craig, Kenneth Branagh and Rowan Atkinson all made appearances, the latter in particular a great surprise, really funny. James Bond and the queen. Brilliant!

Lucky
07-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Yeah, it was spectacular. The rings at the end had to be some image live if it looked that stunning on television. China's still got the gold for opening ceremonies though.

EyesWideOpen
07-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for watching specific events online if you don't have NBC so can't use the official Olympics website?

Kurosawa Fan
07-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for watching specific events online if you don't have NBC so can't use the official Olympics website?

vipbox.tv is my go to place for streaming sports.

EyesWideOpen
07-28-2012, 04:27 AM
vipbox.tv is my go to place for streaming sports.

Thanks a bunch. For some reason my local NBC affiliate isn't playing any of the men's basketball games.

EyesWideOpen
07-28-2012, 04:37 AM
Random Olympic thoughts:

I find it pretty awesome that there are four athletes who aren't competing for any country. I think I'll root for them.

The Bond/Queen stuff and the Rowan Atkinson bit were awful, IMO. The children's stories and music bits were better. Meredith Vieria needs to shut the fuck up.

bac0n
07-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Anyone watch the opening ceremony of the London olympics? I've never seen one, but boy what a way to get started. Brilliant spectacle, as directed by Danny Boyle. Daniel Craig, Kenneth Branagh and Rowan Atkinson all made appearances, the latter in particular a great surprise, really funny. James Bond and the queen. Brilliant!

Did David Tennant make an appearance? If not, then FAIL.

MadMan
07-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Did David Tennant make an appearance? If not, then FAIL.No, he sadly did not. The thought of him lightening the torch would have been the greatest thing ever.

Anyways despite viewing the ceremony at a local bar, I DVR-ed it so I could check out the opener which I missed, plus the ending which I couldn't hear. By all accounts though it was a pretty solid Olympic ceremony, even though it clearly did not surpass China's. I'm a bit torn about these Olympics since I'm not really excited about them and I don't like them being in London, but I'll still tune in anyways on the days I have off from work.

Raiders
07-28-2012, 03:37 PM
I love the Summer Olympics. I am sad however that Nastia Liukin is absent. And I am rooting against Michael Phelps in every event.

number8
07-28-2012, 04:01 PM
No Tennant, but you guys heard the TARDIS noise during Bohemian Rhapsody, right?

[ETM]
07-28-2012, 04:11 PM
No Tennant, but you guys heard the TARDIS noise during Bohemian Rhapsody, right?

Definitely. I thought I was hearing things. The Doctor was sorely missed.:|

EyesWideOpen
07-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Ugh. My local NBC affiliate was supposed to show the first Women's US Basketball game this morning and they instead showed 3 hours straight of cycling.

ledfloyd
07-28-2012, 09:25 PM
that was the best part of the whole thing for me.

EyesWideOpen
07-29-2012, 03:32 AM
I watched the first 1992 Dream Team game vs Angola today. It was pretty funny that only three players (Jordan, Magic & Barkley) had good games and they still won by like 60. Also got to like how in the first half Barkley intentionally shoved another player out of bounds after a basket and then two plays later elbowed a guy in the chest as they were going up the court. If that would have happened today from someone like Lebron or Kobe the media would want them removed for lack of sportmanship.

Mara
07-29-2012, 11:21 AM
I had zero interest in the opening ceremonies, and then suddenly last night: Olympic Fever. I jerry-rigged my crappy antenna to pick up NBC and watched gymnastics and swimming for three hours... two hours past my bedtime. It was awesome.

Ha ha, PHELPS. However, now that he's been properly humiliated, I wish him well. That's quite a legacy to stumble on.

Kurosawa Fan
07-29-2012, 01:38 PM
I've been watching a TON. Lots of volleyball (beach and regular), table tennis, archery, swimming, soccer, etc. I can't watch gymnastics, not because I'm some alpha that finds it too feminine, but because I hate any event that is judged by a panel to determine the winners. Bothers the hell out of me. It feels so arbitrary. I need a clear-cut system of winning, like a race or a traditional scoring event.

Dukefrukem
07-29-2012, 03:59 PM
HEY NOW! NSFW!

1TGTm9HBKH0

Mara
07-29-2012, 05:42 PM
HEY NOW! NSFW!

1TGTm9HBKH0

Totally invasive, and unnecessary, cameraperson. Sheesh.

[ETM]
07-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Gah, we lost to the US in the water polo opener... need to step up the game.:evil:

Scar
07-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Good God, Synchronized diving is intense.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2012, 12:02 AM
;433610']Gah, we lost to the US in the water polo opener... need to step up the game.:evil:

We also lost in gymnastics and Phelps loses his golden touch as French win relay...

Scar
07-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Duke, the relay hasn't been broadcast yet.

Water polo aired live.

amberlita
07-30-2012, 12:13 AM
The prime time coverage is annoying me that they are broadcasting commentary on some events recorded after the already know the results. So there's frequently verbal anticipation of what happened, e.g. "So and so is usually very solid in this event but tonight he really struggled..."

Mara
07-30-2012, 12:49 AM
Good God, Synchronized diving is intense.

I was loving it. I'm gonna tune in for the guys tomorrow.

The 100M Butterfly event was really intense for the women. And with the 100M breaststroke I find myself totally rooting for that 15-year-old from Lithuania tomorrow. GO KID GO.

Mara
07-30-2012, 12:52 AM
The prime time coverage is annoying me that they are broadcasting commentary on some events recorded after the already know the results. So there's frequently verbal anticipation of what happened, e.g. "So and so is usually very solid in this event but tonight he really struggled..."

Yeah, they have got to cut this crap out. Yesterday during gymnastics they said, "I wouldn't have believed that this guy could fall twice..." before the second time he fell. We can't all watch events live. Shut it, NBC.

ledfloyd
07-30-2012, 01:19 AM
my biggest beef is that they are holding events (like the men's swimming relay) for primetime, and not showing them live. being on the internet, it's impossible to avoid results. they're all over facebook, twitter, and on the frontpage of every american news site. just show them live and then replay them for people in primetime. it's not that difficult.

also, i have to agree with KFan when it comes to gymnastics scoring. they're announcing the maximum score the person can get for a particular routine before they've even started. it's just... weird. the judges just make deductions from an imagined ideal?

amberlita
07-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking of, Mara. Super irritating. I'm watching the women's gymnastics now and it seems like the commentary was recorded live this time.

also, i have to agree with KFan when it comes to gymnastics scoring. they're announcing the maximum score the person can get for a particular routine before they've even started. it's just... weird. the judges just make deductions from an imagined ideal?

This is what makes it more palatable to me cause I normally feel the same way as KF. It was far more arbitrary when it was the 1-10 scale. Unlike that now its a little less subjective. You have certain elements that count for a certain number of points and so the more you put in the greater the difficulty so you are rewarded with a higher point potential. You fail to perform certain elements well, you lose points and it is more definitive. Take a big step? 0.2 off the score. That the commentators can predict these deductions is a testament to its increased objectivity.

Still bothers me though. Hearing one of them say "If you have an unfriendly judging panel..." in regards to a score makes me extremely leery. Too much room for bias. There's a reason these events always have the most scandals.

Winston*
07-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Just looked up the points system for gymnastics after watching the male and female group events over the weekend. Had assumed the difficulty score was out of 10, but now it makes more sense that no one was getting a score above 7.

Only two events I've watched so far.

ledfloyd
07-30-2012, 03:30 AM
this ally raisman girl is cute. i googled her before posting this to make sure she wasn't 15 or something. i didn't want to come off like irish, i.e. creepy :P. she isn't; she's 18. which also means she was born in 1994. 1994... i feel so old right now.

amberlita
07-30-2012, 03:30 AM
And there's the proof in the pudding. Stupid gymnastic rule where they dont take the 24 best scores to the final, unknown reasons for deductions and Jordan Wieber is robbed out of the all-around. Stupid sport. Viva La Swimming!

Pop Trash
07-30-2012, 04:45 AM
And I am rooting against Michael Phelps in every event.

What's the beef there? Is he supposed be a douche or something?

MadMan
07-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Phelps has kind of has come off as a douche, yes.

Anyways I'm going to watch as much this possible this week, seeing as I missed out on the weekend stuff due to work, and I have to work tomorrow as well.

amberlita
07-30-2012, 05:57 AM
He's definitely come off as a douche, but I loooove watching him swim. I swam in high school and (minimally) in college so for someone such as myself it's like Salieri watching Mozart compose. He has a not so great backstroke and breaststroke but his free and fly are works of art and I've never seen a more powerful butterfly kick. The man just flies underwater. I'll rewind and rewind and rewind again every underwater shot of his stroke and turns. Any lack of social grace is completely trumped by how beautiful he is in the pool. You may not like his dominance or his personality but take note of what you see now because he probably won't be back and when he's gone, whether you realize it or not, you will have seen something truly special.

I was most proud of Cullen Jones in that relay. I love that kid and I'm glad he held onto that lead so that it was all on Lochte to let it slip away. I think Lochte is as irritatingly arrogant as Phelps. That stupid fucking grill of his. The hell is that about?

MadMan
07-30-2012, 07:23 AM
At this point I like Lochte less than Phelps, yes. Too bad the two of them are on Team USA-someone on Yahoo Sports made a good point that their rivalry would be actually compelling/interesting if they were from different countries. As it is, I wouldn't be surprised if its the reason the women's USA swim team ends up doing better than the men's. Anyways this Olympics I want to see Missy Franklin swim, so I'll be tuning in on Tuesday. She's actually worth rooting for.

Kiusagi
07-30-2012, 08:27 AM
I've taken a bit of a liking to table tennis. That's probably because I'm half Chinese and therefore it's apparently in my blood, but it's pretty entertaining. A 16 year old girl from the US unexpectedly beat the #19 seed and held her own against the #2 seed. Pretty cool story.

Mara
07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
I was most proud of Cullen Jones in that relay. I love that kid and I'm glad he held onto that lead so that it was all on Lochte to let it slip away. I think Lochte is as irritatingly arrogant as Phelps. That stupid fucking grill of his. The hell is that about?

Phelps is gorgeous in the pool. No doubt. I guess I get a little sick of him because he lives in my actual neighborhood, and the local news is ALL PHELPS ALL THE TIME. But he was so beautiful in his leg of the 400 that all is forgiven and I'm rooting for him again.

If those little interview-at-home segments are supposed to construct a relateable narrative for the athletes, the ones for Lochte are failing. He comes across as insufferable. "Look at my shoes! I like bling!" KID. STOP TALKING. He is a stunning swimmer, though. I wouldn't blame the loss of the gold on him; he swam a strong, consistent leg without choking. That French kid just suddenly powered up and blew everyone away-- you can't compete against that.

Meanwhile, all the gymnasts are coming across as adorable, male and female. Poor, poor Jordyn. I completely agree that the all-arounds should feature the 24 best athletes without this capping nonsense. Especially in gymnastics, where the window of competition is so narrow-- your entire career might not include two Olympics.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2012, 12:08 PM
What's the beef there? Is he supposed be a douche or something?

That seemed like a typically appropriate Raider's comment.

Mara
07-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Also, however the cameras and gadgets are set up for the games, they are really awesome. I love the shots they're getting of the swimmers from the block and underwater. They get great hi-res slo-mo of the gymnasts, too.

My favorite, though, was for the synchronized diving, when they would show a time-lapse photograph to track synchronicity. Diving is so quick that it's easy to miss both the good and the bad, and I appreciated them going over it so minutely.

Raiders
07-30-2012, 12:29 PM
That seemed like a typically appropriate Raider's comment.

:|

What the hell does that mean?

In any case, I know many people who went to school and/or grew up with Phelps, and he is most definitely a douche. He's also a definite idiot, but many career athletes are not scholatically motivated, so whatever. But even if he has changed now since he graduated high school, I still have no desire to see him be the most decorated Olympian ever.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Didn't mean it to sound malicious. But your comment to root against the guy everyone is rooting for with no explanation until someone comments on your post. You do that a lot. It's like you want people to be like:"what the heck? why? tell us Raiders please!! Why??" But he's a douche so... go China!

Raiders
07-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Didn't mean it to sound malicious. But your comment to root against the guy everyone is rooting for with no explanation until someone comments on your post. You do that a lot. It's like you want people to be like:"what the heck? why? tell us Raiders please!! Why??" But he's a douche so... go China!

I didn't know I did that. Thanks for pointing out; especially by pointing it out in a post where you did not clarify what you meant either. You're so clever that way.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Sorry Phil. Let's just move on. Bummer you're rooting against America though. I don't care that you know someone who knew Phelps in high school and they told you is a douche. I want USA to win as many medals as humanly possibly. They're all probably throwing it down in the Olympic Village anyway.

dreamdead
07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
I felt sad that NBC felt such a need to interview Jordyn after she failed to qualify for the all-around individual performance. She was so dejected and broken that it felt far too invasive, and took me out of rooting for America and just led to a sense of all-around pity for all the girls who falter there.

And McKayla Maroney has the most aloof expressions ever. Even when she congratulates one of the American team, it comes off way too perfunctory and half-hearted. I'll take the female swimmers any day, who actually seem thrilled to congratulate others, regardless of the nationality of the winner.

Raiders
07-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Sorry Phil. Let's just move on. Bummer you're rooting against America though. I don't care that you know someone who knew Phelps in high school and they told you is a douche. I want USA to win as many medals as humanly possibly. They're all probably throwing it down in the Olympic Village anyway.

Well, in their head-to-head race(s), I rooted for Ryan Lochte. I will root for the US in the relay regardless of Phelps. In the rest of them, I don't have a rooting interest except a desire to not see Phelps medal. You keep assuming I am substituing some other swimmer/country.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Well, in their head-to-head race(s), I rooted for Ryan Lochte. I will root for the US in the relay regardless of Phelps. In the rest of them, I don't have a rooting interest except a desire to not see Phelps medal. You keep assuming I am substituing some other swimmer/country.

Nah I'm just bummed out I guess. I want Phelps to be the most winningest Olympian ever. I dont think you're actually rooting for other countries. I'm just taking jabs at your logic.

Mara
07-30-2012, 01:23 PM
I felt sad that NBC felt such a need to interview Jordyn after she failed to qualify for the all-around individual performance. She was so dejected and broken that it felt far too invasive, and took me out of rooting for America and just led to a sense of all-around pity for all the girls who falter there.

When they were interviewing the winner right in front of her as she sobbed just behind them? That was mean as hell. Someone let that girl go into a bathroom stall and cry for a minute, please?

And McKayla Maroney has the most aloof expressions ever. Even when she congratulates one of the American team, it comes off way too perfunctory and half-hearted. I'll take the female swimmers any day, who actually seem thrilled to congratulate others, regardless of the nationality of the winner.

I suspect that the US female gymnasts don't like each other. They had the most half-hearted, perfunctory hugs; very awkward. It looked like a sorority girl hug. I wondered if it was just a gymnastics thing, but then the girls from Great Britain seemed genuinely warm with their teammates.

I agree that the swimmers seem more affectionate with each other, but nobody can beat beach volleyball for handsiness. Point for or against, they are all over each other's business. If they win, I think they actually try to crawl inside each other's skin.

BY THE WAY, a lady at my church played volleyball with Misty from the US beach volleyball team at Long Beach. She got all emotional about her own Olympic dreams, which I think may have been a possibility, because she's, like, 6 foot 4 inches tall. Her husband is 6' 8". They are giants.

Mara
07-30-2012, 01:37 PM
By the way, here is a slightly more in-depth look at shooter extraordinaire Kim Rhode, 33, who has gotten medals in the last five Olympic Games and took the gold in skeet, only missing one shot out of a hundred:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/29/kim-rhode-olympics-record-shooting-womens_n_1716022.html

I don't even like guns, and she might be my hero.

After checking wikipedia: Holy crap on a cracker, you guys, we were born the same day, same year. She is my soul sister!

amberlita
07-30-2012, 02:20 PM
If those little interview-at-home segments are supposed to construct a relateable narrative for the athletes, the ones for Lochte are failing. He comes across as insufferable. "Look at my shoes! I like bling!" KID. STOP TALKING. He is a stunning swimmer, though. I wouldn't blame the loss of the gold on him; he swam a strong, consistent leg without choking. That French kid just suddenly powered up and blew everyone away-- you can't compete against that.

Yeah, my post was poorly worded. I don't blame the loss on him but I've been in his shoes (speedos?) before and know that he is probably blaming the loss on himself. While I don't like anyone to feel that kind of dejection, I'd rather it be felt by someone like Ryan Lochte, who has ego to spare as Mr. "This is my time." than for it to be felt by someone like Cullen Jones who seems to be about as sweet and humble as they come.

shaun
07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
The 2 per country rule for the all-around competition is pretty lame. Wieber is 4th overall in the standings and because she's 3rd among Americans, 21 girls who finished behind her get to compete. Yay.

Ezee E
07-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes. Awful to watch that. The event itself is amazing though, even though I don't understand the scoring. Such athleticism, it's remarkable to see. I watched 30 mins longer then anticipated.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2012, 04:35 PM
I hate all soccer Refs.

YLIGoL0YdUI

Ezee E
07-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Surely soccer will refer to cameras at some point... They're making strides with goals at least but have a long way to go. Btw, why didn't that ref consult with the offsides judge?

Kurosawa Fan
07-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Surely soccer will refer to cameras at some point... They're making strides with goals at least but have a long way to go. Btw, why didn't that ref consult with the offsides judge?

Because he's bad at his job. This is the Olympics, after all.

Kurosawa Fan
07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Destinee Hooker is yummy.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Yup

Mara
07-30-2012, 05:18 PM

That... is a truly stripperiffic name. That might bump out my all-time favorite stripperiffic name, a receptionist at an old job in California named Venus de Fleur.

By the way, I just looked her up. She is very pretty for someone who could crush me dead with her foot.

Mara
07-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Interesting article on weightlifter Holley Mangold and perceptions of the athletic female body:

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/30/holley_mangold_makes_conan_loo k_small/

shaun
07-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Holley Mangold rules because her brother Nick rules even harder.

ledfloyd
07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
If those little interview-at-home segments are supposed to construct a relateable narrative for the athletes, the ones for Lochte are failing. He comes across as insufferable. "Look at my shoes! I like bling!" KID. STOP TALKING.
couldn't agree more.

Dukefrukem
07-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Not for Mara.

3BmwmzOsohk

Mara
07-31-2012, 01:33 AM
Not for Mara.

3BmwmzOsohk

This I have no problem with. She's lovely, but the camera is focusing on her performance, and not trying to give her a colonoscopy.

Dukefrukem
07-31-2012, 02:10 AM
This I have no problem with. She's lovely, but the camera is focusing on her performance, and not trying to give her a colonoscopy.

oh. Well here. :P

J771gK80LLA

Scar
07-31-2012, 02:35 AM
Well, that's enough of watching the American Men Gymnasts shit the bed...

Lucky
07-31-2012, 03:48 AM

NSFW probably.

http://a1.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0709/espn_bodyissue_28.jpg

Legs.

Lucky
07-31-2012, 03:51 AM
The pommel horse event makes my abs hurt just watching it.

That poor Japanese gymnast better be placed on suicide watch.

EDIT: Nevermind, they disputed the score. Japan went from 4th to 2nd.

MadMan
07-31-2012, 08:58 AM
oh. Well here. :P

J771gK80LLAGotta love the Olympics :lol: :pritch:

Mara
07-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Rain wreaked havoc with my antenna, so I missed most of the good stuff last night. Bah.

Dukefrukem
07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
I wonder what the The Aussie Synchronized Swim Team is going to be doing in the Olympic Village tonight.

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/files/2012/07/292950_385736751481296_1151609 113_n1.jpg

Dukefrukem
07-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Russia just killed it on the beam. (gymnastics)

Scar
07-31-2012, 05:13 PM
I think I'll stay out of this thread since I like to watch Prime Time w/o being spoiled.

Lucky
08-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Wow. Gymnastics scoring has changed alot since I last watched it (probably the 96 Olympics with Kerri Strug and Shannon Miller). Why are the girls only vaulting once? And the scores aren't out of 10 anymore. Last I remember they did two vaults and kept the higher score. With these new rules Strug never would have had her epic Olympics moment.

Saya
08-01-2012, 05:17 AM
This is amazing:

http://i.minus.com/iASrTlRMPAJFO.gif

MadMan
08-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I stayed up to watch some of the events that aired today that were replayed, just to see them in action even though I already knew who won. Despite not liking Phelps I'm still a bit in awe that he has 19 medals in the Olympics, although granted swimming enables you to win a ton of medals (team events count towards everyone's totals). I can't believe that Russia stumbled in gymnastics, thus enabling the USA women's team to take home gold. Getting a nearly flawless routine is pretty tough.

dreamdead
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Definitely not a fan of yesterday's NBC editing of the women's gymnastics final. NBC only showed other countries' competitors when they self-destructed. There was no suggestion that we should watch this individual or that one because they'll be dominant in the sport soon. Instead, it was Russia falls here, Romania falters there. Never a discussion of why they're in contention in the first place. And the insistence on Jordyn's redemption... sigh.

Also, Costas's dancing around Ye Shiwen and doping allegations was just weak. He gets to have it both ways--suggesting doping, but getting to say, "no, no, I identified how Phelps exploded on the scene as well." Hopefully the track and field segments are better handled.

Dukefrukem
08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
NBC sucks. Stream the live feed if you can. You won't miss anything.

Mara
08-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't mind being spoiled on results before watching the event. 90% of my enjoyment comes from watching the athleticism and grace on display, and not from the element of surprise. This may be why I am generally not a sports fan.

I didn't get to see anything yesterday because I had my book group, but I'm catching up on highlights and I've watched McKayla's vault in extreme slo-mo about seven times. CHILD. MY HEART.

Raiders
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Definitely not a fan of yesterday's NBC editing of the women's gymnastics final. NBC only showed other countries' competitors when they self-destructed. There was no suggestion that we should watch this individual or that one because they'll be dominant in the sport soon. Instead, it was Russia falls here, Romania falters there. Never a discussion of why they're in contention in the first place. And the insistence on Jordyn's redemption... sigh.

They showed both Romania and Russia when they rocked the uneven bars. I don't think they really had enough time to show everything and since this is broadcast in the US, they made sure to show the US girls at every event. It is necessary to also see the falters so we know why and how the US is winning.

I also do think they should insist on Jordyn's redemption. The weak-ass rule needs to be exposed. I mean, the crowd rocked for her; it isn't like the idea of her redemption is unique to NBC.

Also, Costas's dancing around Ye Shiwen and doping allegations was just weak. He gets to have it both ways--suggesting doping, but getting to say, "no, no, I identified how Phelps exploded on the scene as well." Hopefully the track and field segments are better handled.

I still like Costas, but he has shown is old-fogie crassness on many occasions throughout the years. The way he was jumbling back and forth to build the drama and actually give in to the unsubstantiated allegations was pathetic.

Mr. McGibblets
08-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Complaining about the rule is one thing, but I feel like every time they complain about Jordyn being judge too harshly, they are implying that she was actually better than one of the Americans who beat her. It seems unfair that those two put on superior performances and are then mostly ignored (or implicitly have their performances rundown) by NBC.

Mara
08-01-2012, 01:38 PM
The Onion, of course.

NBC On Olympics Coverage: 'Sorry We Didn't Alter The Laws Of Space And Time To Accommodate People's Schedules' (http://www.theonion.com/articles/nbc-sorry-we-didnt-alter-the-laws-of-space-and-tim,29011/)

Dukefrukem
08-01-2012, 03:06 PM
I LOVE IT! A Brazilian soccer player just got a red card for flopping. The Euro League and World Cup need more of that!

Kurosawa Fan
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I LOVE IT! A Brazilian soccer player just got a red card for flopping. The Euro League and World Cup need more of that!

Not exactly accurate. He got a second yellow for the dive. Players do receive yellows for diving in the Premier League (though I agree it should happen more often) but you can't give a straight red for diving, nor should you.

Dukefrukem
08-01-2012, 04:52 PM
http://boston.barstoolsports.com/files/2012/08/g22p44f1.jpg

Saya
08-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I love this gif. I want to try archery.

http://i.minus.com/i5cGDnKKgbxIy.gif

Men's all-round finals (gymnastics) happening now. Almost finished.

ledfloyd
08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
I didn't get to see anything yesterday because I had my book group, but I'm catching up on highlights and I've watched McKayla's vault in extreme slo-mo about seven times. CHILD. MY HEART.
i have no idea where the judges found deductions. that was insane.

I love this gif. I want to try archery.

http://i.minus.com/i5cGDnKKgbxIy.gif

this looks like it was directed by wes anderson.

Wryan
08-01-2012, 11:32 PM

Is that the vault Saya giffed above? If so, it's unreal. She's like a robot. She doesn't even flinch. I don't think she even realized she vaulted at all until like fives minutes later.

Mara
08-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Is that the vault Saya giffed above? If so, it's unreal. She's like a robot. She doesn't even flinch. I don't think she even realized she vaulted at all until like fives minutes later.

Yes. She's a bit of a one-trick pony (not competing for the all-around) and was brought on because of her vault. BUT WHAT A TRICK. The announcers said she's the best vaulter in the world right now, getting two feet higher than anyone else. I believe it.

amberlita
08-02-2012, 02:16 AM
I've watched that vault countless times over (I stared at that gif for probably 3 minutes straight earlier today). Nice to see someone live up to all that hype because they announcers would not shut up about what an amazing vaulter she is. She definitely gets the extra height. In the prelims she vaulted right after Jordyn Weiber and I compared the placement of her hips in the background to Weiber's and yeah, it had to be an extra couple of feet.

If you see it from the opposite angle you can actually see two of the lady judges' jaws drop. It's hilarious. I think they made up that .2 deduction cause they assumed it couldn't be perfect but damn if it wasn't. Immensely satisfying performance. There's something about the abruptness of the vault that when it's done perfectly it feels so much more fulfilling to watch than any of the other events.

They could have won without her vault when you consider how badly the Russians self-destructed but it was worth it to see that. I hope she gets the individual gold in that event as expected.

Oh and this Badminton stuff is bananas.

Mr. McGibblets
08-02-2012, 04:05 AM
Are they keeping the Rings off the TV on purpose during men's gymnastics? I haven't seen one performance on them.

Saya
08-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Are they keeping the Rings off the TV on purpose during men's gymnastics? I haven't seen one performance on them.

There have been rings gymnastics during the team and individual all round performances. Next Tuesday will be the individual rings performance for men.

http://cadfael.tv/image/src/1343848569887.gif

Gold lift. 205 kg or 405 lbs.

Our Aurora
08-02-2012, 06:37 AM
There have been rings gymnastics during the team and individual all round performances. Next Tuesday will be the individual rings performance for men.

I think (know) he was asking why the rings have not been televised thus far. Almost positive the rings have not been shown here in the States.

My new favorite sports: Handball, Table Tennis, and Volleyball. I'm Really enjoying these olympics.

Saya
08-02-2012, 06:50 AM
I think (know) he was asking why the rings have not been televised thus far. Almost positive the rings have not been shown here in the States.

My new favorite sports: Handball, Table Tennis, and Volleyball. I'm Really enjoying these olympics.

Oh, I see, I misunderstood. It sucks that they don't show everything on TV over there. I heard there were many problems with NBC's coverage.

Our Aurora
08-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Oh, I see, I misunderstood. It sucks that they don't show everything on TV over there. I heard there were many problems with NBC's coverage.

Sorry... I've had a bit to drink (read as: quite a bit), so I apologize if the parenthetical addition to my post came off as condescending. It was definitely not meant in that way.

Speaking of Olympic coverage... I'm pretty sure The Onion has had the best:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nbc-sorry-we-didnt-alter-the-laws-of-space-and-tim,29011/

That's just one of my favorites in the last few days.

amberlita
08-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Oh my goodness, how adorable was Nathan Adrian last night in his 100m Freestyle win? I didn't really think he stood much of a chance and based on his facial expressions doesn't appear he did either. I would love to see a gif of those couple beats right after he celebrated where he gave a kind of Keanu-Reeves-Bill-and-Ted head cock and flabergasted blink. Too cute. Nice to see Lochte and Phelps celebrating for him too. Swimming is so fun.

bac0n
08-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Yes. She's a bit of a one-trick pony (not competing for the all-around) and was brought on because of her vault. BUT WHAT A TRICK. The announcers said she's the best vaulter in the world right now, getting two feet higher than anyone else. I believe it.

Yeah, that was pretty incredible. She had so much power coming off the jump that all she needed to use her hands on the vault for was to tap it a bit to set her trajectory. That was pretty damned impressive.

Lasse
08-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Absolutely. It was embarassing to watch, and I'm happy that they threw all eight players out of the Olympics.

Raiders
08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Absolutely. It was embarassing to watch, and I'm happy that they threw all eight players out of the Olympics.

It's the right call considering the dishonesty of trying to lose, but the Olympics asked for this with the format they used which encourages people to use strategy in the advancing rounds, and losing on purpose is strategic.

Mara
08-02-2012, 01:54 PM
By the way, can we talk about Yannick Agnel? Because if the Olympics were a movie, he would be the supervillain out-touching and chasing down our intrepid heroes.

But, the thing is, he's the kind of cool and handsome-in-a-Matt-Smith-ian way that makes me want to be on his side of supervillainy. Like, I don't necessarily want our guys to lose, but if they do, I hope it's to that magnificent French bastard.

Also, his name is Yannick. This cannot be overstated.

Mara
08-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Hold on. I was only finding interviews in rapid-fire French I couldn't quite follow, but then I found this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/31/france-olympic-swimming-yannick-agnel) article, with the following quotes:

The lanky, bookish and somewhat eccentric 6ft 8in, 20-year-old, Yannick Agnel, has been dubbed "the first superstar" of the London Olympics after winning two gold medals in 24 hours – the most for any one sportsperson.

Even in France, the young Agnel – who journalists complained was being wrongly referred to as Angel by the Brits – is known for being "different", firing leftfield answers and literary quotes during post-race interviews, memorising sonnets during competitions and appearing unflappable.

Once asked how he managed to pack in so much training, Agnel quoted the French political philosopher Montesquieu.

I have just now changed teams, especially since Lochte and Phelps are so obnoxious. TEAM YANNICK ALL THE WAY.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/Yannick-Agnel-2012.jpg

Mara
08-02-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm better at reading French than listening to it.

Il affiche volontiers ses passions : politique, littérature et musique. On peut bâtir une solide bibliothèque en faisant la liste des auteurs qu’il a cités en interview : Baudelaire, Freud, Marc Lévy, Isaac Asimov, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Philippe Djian. Eclectique, donc.

Poor Nat translation: he seems happy in his passions, politics, literature, and music. One may build a solid library by listing the authors that he has cited in interviews: Baudelaire, Freud, Marc Lévy, Isaac Asimov, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Philippe Djian. So eclectic.

And here's the Montesquieu quote:

La gravité est le bonheur des imbéciles, c’est ma phrase préférée. Les gens prennent trop les choses au sérieux. Moi, je prends du plaisir Ã* nager.

Poor Nat translation: Seriousness is the happiness of idiots, is my favorite phrase. People take too many things seriously. Me, I find pleasure in swimming.

ledfloyd
08-02-2012, 06:05 PM
quite possibly the first time this sentence has ever been uttered.

shaun
08-02-2012, 06:15 PM
So there's something I didn't know.

@NetsDaily
At age 10, Michael Phelps was ranked #2 among swimmers of his age class. The #1 swimmer was Kris Humphries

2. He's a Man of Many Talents
Before landing a notable NBA career, Humphries was a star swimmer. Still holding records to this day, he was considered the top swimmer in the nation when he was 10, even beating out Michael Phelps. "I was so good at a young age that I got a little burnt out," Humphries says. "I also grew up in the Michael Jordan era ... for me, I watched [basketball] and saw it as a challenge. It's hard to stay focused on something when you have a ton of success at a young age, so I picked up basketball a little later and rolled with that."

Benny Profane
08-02-2012, 06:30 PM
He's definitely goofy looking, which seems to be a prerequisite to become an elite swimmer.

Dukefrukem
08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
http://boston.barstoolsports.com/files/2012/08/vball.gif

dreamdead
08-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Ugh. Incredible skill, but watching someone use their feet to save a point that couldn't be had by using one's hands is something that pisses me off whenever I play.

shaun
08-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Melo 10/12 from 3 against Nigeria.

Lasse
08-02-2012, 10:56 PM
http://boston.barstoolsports.com/files/2012/08/vball.gif

Holy Christ! :eek:

It's the right call considering the dishonesty of trying to lose, but the Olympics asked for this with the format they used which encourages people to use strategy in the advancing rounds, and losing on purpose is strategic.

Indeed. Having an advantage from losing is something that's been seen before, just never this obvious. The planners kind of brought it on themselves.

A BBC article about the situation (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19074280)

ledfloyd
08-03-2012, 02:23 AM
man... i have it bad for aly raisman.

Ezee E
08-03-2012, 02:35 AM
I didn't think you could use your foot.

Kurosawa Fan
08-03-2012, 02:40 AM
man... i have it bad for aly raisman.

Gabby Douglas is way cuter. Now, I'm bowing out of this conversation, as just typing that made me feel reaaaaalllly creepy.

ledfloyd
08-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Gabby Douglas is way cuter. Now, I'm bowing out of this conversation, as just typing that made me feel reaaaaalllly creepy.
as well it should've.

Kurosawa Fan
08-03-2012, 02:46 AM
as well it should've.

One more comment to note that I used the word "cute," which I think helps make it at least a bit more acceptable.

Mr. McGibblets
08-03-2012, 03:10 AM
All the gymnasts look like kids to me. There was a Romanian girl who looked like an adult, but she was on TV for 2-3 minutes only.

Lucky
08-03-2012, 03:23 AM
Why doesn't NBC broadcast the medal ceremonies? Those were always a highlight for me. I can remember past Olympics where they'd play even if the US wasn't involved. Or am I just missing them?

ledfloyd
08-03-2012, 03:28 AM
that tiebreak is rough. one one thousandth of a point either way and it's clear cut.

eta: and this is where KFan's complaint about judges picking winners hits pretty hard.

MadMan
08-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Phelps win over Lochte was pretty exciting. Hell of a race. Maybe Phelps is starting to get things going in the Olympics, although granted he's already set the all time Olympic medal total record with 20.

And wow poor Nigeria got completely blasted by the USA basketball team-that loss is really embarrassing for them.

chrisnu
08-03-2012, 04:24 AM
And wow poor Nigeria got completely blasted by the USA basketball team-that loss is really embarrassing for them.
156-73. Team USA set Olympic records for points scored in a game, in a half (78 in both halves), margin of victory, three-point field goals made (29), and three-point field goals attempted (46). They set team records with 59 field goals made and a field goal percentage of 71%, and tied a team record with 41 assists. Carmelo Anthony scored 37 points - a single-game high for a USA Olympic player - in 14 minutes. At one point in the third quarter, he went on a personal 15-0 run in about two minutes.

Found these clips on a Lakers board:

Team Highlights:
Part 1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/px4l3y
Part 2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/2u5kdo
Part 3 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/jctdsn

Kobe Bryant Highlights:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5ys0r6

Carmelo Anthony Highlights:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/41t0b0

Kobe Bryant Three Pointer And Dunk:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x2sjey

Kevin Durant & LeBron James Fastbreak Dunks:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qin7g0

James Harden Gets His Ankles Broke:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ve3hy8

Kevin Love Alleyoop To Russell Westbrook:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lxi4ya

MadMan
08-03-2012, 05:16 AM
Those stats are just insane.

Now they're showing table tennis. I'm glad I actually got to watch it this Olympics. Although thanks to NBC's Olympic website you can view just about any event, which is the way it should be.

Dukefrukem
08-03-2012, 12:07 PM
I watched that live and it was crazy. However, I think we are giving them more credit than they deserve. The 3 point line is closer in the Olympics than it is in the NBA. Naturally, any NBA player will be at an advantage. But yes, you still need to make the shot.

The biggest thing yesterday was the boxing controversy. Japan knocked down an opponent 6 times and the ref gave the win to the player who was knocked down. The ref has since been banned from the Olympics. The video is crazy. Check it out at nbcOlympics.com.

transmogrifier
08-03-2012, 12:11 PM
New Zealand up to 10th on the medal table with 3 golds. It'll last about 2 hours or so, but at the moment just basking in the glory of being above Australia for a change.

Mara
08-03-2012, 05:52 PM
British diver Tom Daly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/WS8hXhndrUKmSWry7VV9rQ2.gif

I'm kind of rooting for him in the individual dives after his synchronized team underperformed earlier this week.

Kurosawa Fan
08-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Commercials during soccer should be criminal. Missed Japan's second goal today because I was busy watching an ad for Chevy. Thank you, NBC. :|

Spinal
08-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Commercials during soccer should be criminal. Missed Japan's second goal today because I was busy watching an ad for Chevy. Thank you, NBC. :|

And now you know why NBA coaches are given so many time-outs.

amberlita
08-03-2012, 11:55 PM
10 Reasons Why Ryan Lochte is America's Sexiest Douchebag (http://jezebel.com/5931055/10-reasons-ryan-lochte-is-americas-sexiest-douchebag)

Russ
08-04-2012, 03:51 AM
I must be way behind the times, but when did Trampoline become an Olympic medal event?

(not hatin', mind you, it's pretty cool to watch)

Our Aurora
08-04-2012, 05:04 AM
I must be way behind the times, but when did Trampoline become an Olympic medal event?

(not hatin', mind you, it's pretty cool to watch)

Quick search turns up 2000 in Sydney.

(I didn't know it was either, but I kind of love it)

ledfloyd
08-04-2012, 05:19 AM
10 Reasons Why Ryan Lochte is America's Sexiest Douchebag (http://jezebel.com/5931055/10-reasons-ryan-lochte-is-americas-sexiest-douchebag)
the more i hear/read about this guy the more i despise him.

MadMan
08-04-2012, 05:40 AM

(not hatin', mind you, it's pretty cool to watch)I almost found it entertaining.

And I'll have to try and catch the repeating of major primetime events (or view them online) this weekend since I work until Tuesday. Weak.

Mara
08-04-2012, 11:31 AM

Pretty much, yeah.

Mara
08-04-2012, 12:41 PM
During the (awesome) swimming events last night they kept cutting to Wills and Kate and I would give a little cheer because, no lie, I kind of love them. Finally, my roommate said, "Who IS that?"

KID. I JUST.

Lucky
08-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Clit...shrinking...

*adds new phrase to personal lexicon*

Lucky
08-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Man, Serena smoked Sharapova. Hard to believe that was the championship match.

Raiders
08-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Oscar Pistorius should not be in the Olympics. I am sorry, I understand the need to include everyone and he is obviously gifted but it just feels wrong. People tell me a disability is not an advantage, but can we honestly say that we are confident he isn't given an advantage? He will never turn an ankle and frankly I am unconvinced that he tires the same as the other runners. I, again, am not trying to be insensitive, but honestly it just strikes me as not right.

EyesWideOpen
08-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Oscar Pistorius should not be in the Olympics. I am sorry, I understand the need to include everyone and he is obviously gifted but it just feels wrong. People tell me a disability is not an advantage, but can we honestly say that we are confident he isn't given an advantage? He will never turn an ankle and frankly I am unconvinced that he tires the same as the other runners. I, again, am not trying to be insensitive, but honestly it just strikes me as not right.

Agreed.

number8
08-04-2012, 09:51 PM
American TV Neglected the Saddest Story in the Olympics (http://1045theteam.com/american-tv-neglected-the-saddest-story-in-the-olympics/)

That sucks for her.

Mara
08-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Remember when I was annoyed by the invasive camera shots of a female athlete a couple pages ago? This is a funny, slightly creepy article that mocks the objectification of the female athletes by showing similar shots of male athletes-- disconcerting, amusing, and a little gross.

http://www.metro.us/philadelphia/international/article/1148979

number8
08-04-2012, 10:05 PM
You think the problem is that the general male audience objectifies these athletes, not so, the problem is that the general female audience don't objectify the men enough.

I like this guy.

Acapelli
08-04-2012, 10:46 PM
i kinda love that paul wall designed a grill for him

Mara
08-05-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm really not very interested in track. I think once diving and gymnastics are done I might go back to my normal life.

amberlita
08-05-2012, 04:15 AM
I'm really not very interested in track. I think once diving and gymnastics are done I might go back to my normal life.

Sometimes I think you and I might be related. Then I remember my actual family and realize that "having common interests" isn't exactly what defines my relationships with those people.

amberlita
08-05-2012, 04:20 AM
It's a little embarrassing to admit this, by the way...but I kind of cried like a baby during Phelps's final medal ceremony. This place is hyper-cynical so cue the "Meh, he's a dickwad, good riddance", "He'll be back in 4 years despite what he says" or "I would have enjoyed it more if the announcers wouldn't have laid the historical significance on so thick". All probably true, but I'm sad to see him go anyway.

MadMan
08-05-2012, 06:18 AM
I actually think that Phelps is going to retire, but hey I thought that Lebron was going to go to the Bulls or stay in Cleveland so go figure :P

The only reason to watch track is Bolt, aka The Real Life Flash.

[ETM]
08-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Being ridiculously tiny, Montenegro doesn't have much chance for a medal in individual sports. Our biggest hope was the judoka Mrvaljevic, who carried our flag, world vice-champion, but he lost to a Canadian in the final 16. Our male water polo and female handball teams both have a real shot at a medal, though. Other than those, I'm rooting for the young (he turned 20 in London) discus thrower Danijel Furtula. He's qualifying tomorrow and is pretty much the only reason to watch athletics for me - can't stand watching all those happy people winning medals. :D

Mara
08-05-2012, 11:18 AM
It's a little embarrassing to admit this, by the way...but I kind of cried like a baby during Phelps's final medal ceremony. This place is hyper-cynical so cue the "Meh, he's a dickwad, good riddance", "He'll be back in 4 years despite what he says" or "I would have enjoyed it more if the announcers wouldn't have laid the historical significance on so thick". All probably true, but I'm sad to see him go anyway.

I didn't cry, but I was moved. I came around again on Phelps this year, because I'm capricious that way.

Mara
08-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't follow Samuel Jackson on Twitter, but apparently I should.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2012/08/04/samuel_l_jackson_olympics_a_fi eld_guide_to_the_actor_s_tweet s_on_the_london_games_.html

transmogrifier
08-05-2012, 12:17 PM

Agreed. Shouldn't even have been a debate.

ledfloyd
08-06-2012, 05:00 AM
i can't be the only one that thought hammer throw involved throwing a hammer... can i?

MadMan
08-06-2012, 06:36 AM
I finally saw water polo, and I was a little entertained, I guess. Too bad work made me miss Bolt in prime time.

Wryan
08-06-2012, 01:35 PM
From Reddit. Spoiler for women's vault final.

She really does have quite an annoying face at times. It was, however, rather enjoyable to see her go from smug to this. I can't lie. Pretty shocking turn of events.

http://i.imgur.com/ED6Hr.jpg

Dukefrukem
08-06-2012, 01:40 PM
http://boston.barstoolsports.com/files/2012/08/bitch-face.gif

Mara
08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Ouch. Cold.

Raiders
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I don't understand. I get ragged on for disliking Michael Phelps from past knowledge of his douche-ness but hating on a girl justifiably upset after losing the gold, of her own doing, when she is so clearly the best vault athlete in the world, is OK?

Not sure about the moment in the gif Duke posted, but I remember she definitely hugged the winner right before that. Maybe it is a personal thing with that athlete?

Dukefrukem
08-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't understand. I get ragged on for disliking Michael Phelps from past knowledge of someone who knew him in high school douche-ness but hating on a girl justifiably upset after losing the gold, of her own doing, when she is so clearly the best vault athlete in the world, is OK?

Not sure about the moment in the gif Duke posted, but I remember she definitely hugged the winner right before that. Maybe it is a personal thing with that athlete?

I get your point, but fixed for accuracy. You have 2nd hand word of mouth biased description which I personally do not take as credible.

Raiders
08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I get your point, but fixed for accuracy. You have 2nd hand word of mouth biased description which I personally do not take as credible.

It's not just one person, but whatever. And what bias? He was pretty notorious around here back before 2004 and that's when most of this started. He definitely seems different in his interviews now, so I don't really actively dislike him as much as in the past.