PDA

View Full Version : 30 Rock

Duncan
11-10-2007, 09:48 AM
It's pretty much the only show I watch. People here don't seem too keen on it.

number8
11-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I've grown tired of it. It's really not as funny as it used to be. I only really laughed once at the last episode, and that was for Al Gore's last line.

Kurosawa Fan
11-10-2007, 11:51 AM
David Schwimmer had a couple lines that I thought were funny, but overall I agree with 8. It's just not what it was last season. It lost something along the way.

Duncan
11-10-2007, 09:55 PM
See, I thought this week's episode was one of the best. I laughed way harder at this than I did at The Office.

Duncan
11-10-2007, 09:59 PM
I've grown tired of it. It's really not as funny as it used to be. I only really laughed once at the last episode, and that was for Al Gore's last line.

I think we just have different tastes in humor, because I didn't find the whale line very funny. It seemed like a line out of South Park - way more cartoonish in the portrayal of his personality. I don't mind South Park, but I don't like it much either.

Kurosawa Fan
11-10-2007, 10:35 PM
See, I thought this week's episode was one of the best. I laughed way harder at this than I did at The Office.

The Office has had a disappointing season as well. I thought once they went back to 30 minutes it would get better, but thus far it's been even worse.

Oh, and I thought the whale line was lame too. The only thing I found funny were a couple lines by Schwimmer.

Thirdmango
11-11-2007, 12:58 AM
I am a big fan of the first season of 30 Rock, but what I could tell has been the biggest problem with this new season is how little we see of the other characters, the non named ones such as Josh and Toofer. Characters whom were able to keep little things funny and yet for some reason they've dissappeared except in the background in many moments. It's probably just a lull, hopefully this one will get back on track cause I've told a lot of people to watch this one.

MadMan
11-11-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm so far behind on the Office and 30 Rock that I think I'll just wait for the latest seasons of them to come out on DVD. I've seen a good chunk of Season 1 of 30 Rock though and I thought it was funny, but I don't see it becoming a favorite show of mine. Alec Baldwin is the main reason to watch.

Duncan
11-19-2007, 08:55 AM
I just watched this week's episode online. Hilarious. I can't believe more people don't like this show.

Kurosawa Fan
01-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I keep forgetting to mention that the show is getting much funnier. Did anyone else catch this line from the episode where Liz's parents come up to visit:

"It's not a Lemon party without old Dick!"

It's unfortunate that I understood the joke, and even more unfortunate that it brought the image into my head again, but damn if I wasn't crying from laughter.

Sycophant
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I've just started watching this and got through the third episode of the first season last night. It's pretty fun, but there's something off-putting about it, which may be my a manifestation of my current aversion to television in general. Largely, a lot of the writing seems unexeptional, if above average for a basic sitcom. The plots are all as borrowed and hackneyed as any sitcom, one camera or three.

I liked the LOL lesbian story in the third episode ultimately after being very reluctant to accept it initially (the boss thinks you're gay has been done a lot before, but rarely with women, so that was what saved it), but then Fey's character went unbelievably overboard at the end. I'll withhold judgment until I get to the halfway point of the first season, where I'll determine whether or not I continue with it.

Saya
11-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, season 3 has just started. :)

Did anyone else watch the first episode? I thought it was good. Not all of the jokes worked but it was fun. Was a good start of the new season.

number8
11-01-2008, 07:57 PM
So Jack and Liz are back to status quo. I really don't know if I still like this show or not. It's still enjoyable, but it's really locked in stalemate.

Ezee E
11-02-2008, 02:19 AM
The first episode was alright, but I think it's the funniest show on TV now. It kind of has the quick, dry humor of Arrested Development that I liked.

number8
11-02-2008, 03:15 AM
What are you, high? With South Park, Entourage and House on?

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2008, 03:23 AM
What are you, high? With South Park, Entourage and House on?

30 Rock is better than all of those.

DavidSeven
11-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Liz and Jack = Funny
Tracy and Kenneth = Sometimes funny
The Rest = Not funny
Trailer Park Hats With Phrases = Painfully unfunny.

Spinal
11-02-2008, 05:01 AM
I just started watching this show about a week or so ago. Caught up on the first two seasons via Netflix instant viewing. It's pretty addictive, though I like it better when I can watch 4 or 5 at a time.

Spinal
11-02-2008, 05:04 AM
The Rest = Not funny

Bah. Jane Krakowski is fantastic.

number8
11-02-2008, 06:52 AM

Maybe in humorlessland.

number8
11-02-2008, 07:00 AM
But maybe I've always been unfairly harsh towards 30 Rock because NBC continued a mediocre show like it and canceled something truly hilarious like Studio 60. :sad:

Dead & Messed Up
11-02-2008, 07:03 AM

I can't speak for Entourage, since I got bored with it in Season 2, but I agree that it's funnier than House and South Park. By a substantial margin, in both cases.

Although I do love the ever-irreverent Hugh Laurie.

Ezee E
11-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Never cared for House. Entourage has gone down the shitter (have not seen the latest season).

South Park has an episode that will be much more hilarious than 30 Rock, then follow it up with an eye-roller, therefore it loses.

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2008, 01:05 PM
But maybe I've always been unfairly harsh towards 30 Rock because NBC continued a mediocre show like it and canceled something truly hilarious like Studio 60. :sad:

Studio 60 sucked. Sappy drivel by the end. Wasn't all that funny either. Good riddance.

30 Rock is far from mediocre. And the show is more than just Liz and Jack, though they're obviously the highlights. Tracey is fantastic, though I agree that Kenneth is hit or miss. I think Pete is pretty great, as is Jenna and Grizz and Dot Com.

Ezee E
11-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I've said it before, but the only person that isn't funny, and is in fact, ridiculously irritating, is Judah Friedlander.

Please get rid of him. Pronto.

Kenneth may be a one-trick pony, but he does it so perfectly. Kind of how Tobias worked out in AD.

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Kenneth is given great dialogue to work with, so even though he's repetitive in nature, it still works for the most part.

Saya
11-02-2008, 01:39 PM
The recurring characters like Banks and Liz's ex-boyfriend Dennis the Beeper King are pretty good too. And Rachel Dratch is also very funny in her different roles. She always plays these quirky characters like Jack's prostitute in that Valentine Day episode, the cat girl and the maid in the closet on the boat on the first episode.

I pretty much like all the characters actually, except for Dr. Leo Spaceman. I just get tired of that joke. I think it tries to hard to be like Arrested Development's lawyer with the crazy name, Bob Loblaw.

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2008, 01:42 PM
The recurring characters like Banks and Liz's ex-boyfriend Dennis the Beeper King are pretty good too. And Rachel Dratch is also very funny in her different roles. She always plays these quirky characters like Jack's prostitute in that Valentine Day episode, the cat girl and the maid in the closet on the boat on the first episode.

I pretty much like all the characters actually, except for Dr. Leo Spaceman. I just get tired of that joke. I think it tries to hard to be like Arrested Development's lawyer with the crazy name, Bob Loblaw.

You sir get rep, because I agree with everything you said, plus you mentioned The Beeper King (the funniest recurring character) and the Valentine's Day prostitute (the funniest one-time-only character).

Ezee E
11-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Was the Valentine's Day Prostitute the one that was coughing horribly, even on craft services?

Saya
11-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Was the Valentine's Day Prostitute the one that was coughing horribly, even on craft services?

This is her:

http://i37.tinypic.com/3150f0n.jpg

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2008, 06:27 PM
This is her:

http://i37.tinypic.com/3150f0n.jpg

I love where she ends up at the end of the episode, and her last line of dialogue. Brilliant episode.

Spinal
11-02-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't think Dratch has been on the show for quite some time. Was she even in the 2nd season?

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I don't think Dratch has been on the show for quite some time. Was she even in the 2nd season?

I don't think so. Was Elizabeth Taylor the 2nd season?

Saya
11-02-2008, 06:48 PM
I've gotten all the episodes mixed up. You are right that she wasn't even in season 2. I wonder why she quit, maybe she was still upset that they replaced her big role for a minor one. She was supposed to have Jane Krakowski's role first.

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
It had to be done. I'll clean it up with Photoshop when I get home.

Spinal
11-02-2008, 07:03 PM
She was supposed to have Jane Krakowski's role first.

With all due respect to Dratch, that was the correct decision.

Kurosawa Fan
11-02-2008, 07:06 PM
With all due respect to Dratch, that was the correct decision.

Absolutely. I credit Fey with having the gumption to make that move, considering how close she and Dratch were at the time.

Spinal
11-02-2008, 07:13 PM
I think my favorite quote so far is:

Liz: What’s sharking?
Tracy: It’s when you run up on a lady on the street and pull her tube top down while your friend video tapes it. It’s considered a crime here. Thanks a lot Puritans.

Spinal
11-15-2008, 02:51 AM
Boy, Harry Anderson looked really old. Haven't seen him in ages.

Markie Post, on the other hand, looked surprisingly good. Hard to believe she's 58 years old.

Kurosawa Fan
11-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Jack was at his finest in that episode. Just hilarious. And I loved the digs at other shows, with the lack of joke before commercial and the failed freeze frame.

Ezee E
11-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah, that one was pretty great.

[ETM]
11-22-2008, 04:14 PM
I wonder why she quit, maybe she was still upset that they replaced her big role for a minor one.

They just dropped the "Dratch doing all the side characters" gag and moved on. It was hilarious, yes, but too distracting. And I also think it was a way better role than Krakowski's, but granted - harder to get in on the main credits.

Ezee E
02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Loved the Tracy Jordan bit on Larry King. Didn't think he could get any funnier.

EvilShoe
02-28-2009, 05:02 PM
“What everyone needs to do is calm down, take a deep breath, and prepare their bodies for the Thunderdome.”

Tracy's subplot was great.

I'm also glad
Salma Hayek is gone.
To say she's not very good at comedy would be quite the understatement.

number8
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I hate how they tease us with the idea of Tina Fey topless.

Kurosawa Fan
03-13-2009, 03:42 AM
Tonight's episode was brilliant. The writers on this show consistently amaze me.

Ezee E
03-13-2009, 03:51 AM
Tonight's episode was brilliant. The writers on this show consistently amaze me.
Yeah, despite the zaniness of everything going on, it all still comes together somehow and actually make sense.

Today was a perfect example.

Everyone raves about Alec and Tina, which is well deserved, but Tracy Morgan should get more recognition.

Dead & Messed Up
03-13-2009, 05:02 AM
"They knew what a Hot Richard is?"

:lol:

number8
03-13-2009, 07:09 AM
"Nice try, Liz. Now it's my turn."

Chris Pharnell needs his own show.

[ETM]
03-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Or, as the French say, "Ffffghgg csdlkfj gekjl".
:lol:

Sven
05-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Watching this show now. A few episodes into season 2. Loving it. Baldwin is the best. Could do without Krakowski. And the writers are not very funny. But Fey, Kenneth, Tracy, and Baldwin more than make up for it.

number8
05-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Could do without Krakowski.

She's my least favorite character, as well.

Ezee E
05-24-2009, 03:11 AM
Krakowski is the hardest to write for because it seems like Arrested Development took care of that character already.

Portia DeRossi > Jane Krakowski easily

Spinal
05-24-2009, 03:22 AM
I like Krakowski a lot. I don't really like the way they write her character though.

Ezee E
05-24-2009, 03:23 AM
I like Krakowski a lot. I don't really like the way they write her character though.
With that, I'll still say that I laugh at her character a lot.

Spinal
05-24-2009, 04:28 AM
"Me want food!"

That was pretty funny.

Winston*
05-24-2009, 04:33 AM
I wish they'd give Pete something to do now they've given his role in the show to Alec Baldwin. Dude's got great comic timing.

number8
05-24-2009, 04:51 AM
I wish they'd give Pete something to do now they've given his role in the show to Alec Baldwin. Dude's got great comic timing.

Yeah, this is the problem of having a popular studio head character. They start behaving less like a studio head and more like a hang-around.

It was the same in Studio 60 with Steven Weber and Amanda Peet's characters, though to a lesser extent. Don't they have other shows to look after?

[ETM]
05-24-2009, 12:22 PM

One of the funniest scenes on the entire show is between these two.

Sycophant
06-05-2009, 03:15 AM
I've just started watching this again, about halfway through the first season. It's pretty quality stuff. They occasionally stretch the reality of the show to questionable levels. I'm not nearly as amused by Rachel Dratch as the show is.

Kurosawa Fan
06-05-2009, 03:18 AM
I've just started watching this again, about halfway through the first season. It's pretty quality stuff. They occasionally stretch the reality of the show to questionable levels. I'm not nearly as amused by Rachel Dratch as the show is.

I wouldn't count on much reality going forward. It's stretched pretty thin most of the time.

Duncan
06-05-2009, 03:19 AM

It's possible that the show wasn't so amused with her either, since she disappears from later episodes.

[ETM]
06-05-2009, 03:22 PM
I have watched the unaired pilot last night, and Dratch was supposed to be Jenna... talk about disastrous.

Sycophant
06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm midway through the second season. This is quality stuff. Really wish there was more for Scott Adsit and most of the writer characters (and even Krakowski) to do, as the second season seems to be functioning less like an ensemble show than the first.

Sometimes stories and plot threads don't pay off very well (see Seinfeld episode), but moment-to-moment the cast carries occasionally underwhelming writing. More often, though, the writing is good to excellent.

Acapelli
06-10-2009, 06:46 AM
http://bloglynch.blogspot.com/2009/06/30-rock-is-rip-off-of-muppet-show.html

[ETM]
06-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Erm... no, not really.

Ezee E
06-10-2009, 01:00 PM
;172360']Erm... no, not really.
Amusing still.

Got my roommate to watch the show. He's loving it as I rewatch some episodes. Anytime there's a special guest that's a major focus, (Schwimmer, Seinfeld) it's usually an okay show.

Jane Krakowski's character has lost lots of screentime since the first season.

Ezee E
09-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Was so excited for the premiere of this season...

Only to find out it's actually next month.

Chevy Chase was on TV, but he's not someone that I'd keep on watching out of curiosity.

So I worked on my farm on facebook.

Sycophant
09-24-2009, 05:07 PM
E, that's a beautiful poem. Publish that shit.

Ezee E
10-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Oh, 30 Rock, how I missed thee.

Kurosawa Fan
10-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Oh, 30 Rock, how I missed thee.

This is the reason we need the "thumbs up" smiley.

EyesWideOpen
10-19-2009, 03:04 AM
I barrelled through the first three seasons so I could start watching in time for the season 4 premiere. It's become my favorite comedy easily.

Dead & Messed Up
10-19-2009, 03:50 AM
Poor 30 Rock. It still thinks Kenneth is funny.

Ezee E
10-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Poor 30 Rock. It still thinks Kenneth is funny.
He is. As long as they keep him in that small role, it's just fine.

Dead & Messed Up
10-19-2009, 06:57 AM
He is. As long as they keep him in that small role, it's just fine.

Nah. His character is grating and way too over-the-top, and most of the jokes surrounding his upbringing and cultural perspective fall flatter than a slice of ham in a Funcooker.

Acapelli
10-19-2009, 07:59 AM
"there's a whole channel on the cable that just tells you what's on the other channels!"

Mara
10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I love Kenneth. He reminds me of me.

[ETM]
10-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Nah. His character is grating and way too over-the-top, and most of the jokes surrounding his upbringing and cultural perspective fall flatter than a slice of ham in a Funcooker.

You didn't laugh at "but it's all sewn up now!"?

Mara
10-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't drink coffee, sir, I don't drink hot liquids of any kind. That's the devil's temperature.

Dead & Messed Up
10-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, not a fan. I've only ever found him tolerable. Although he's funnier than Jenna.

number8
10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Jenna is the most grating part of the show. I'm glad that they've been cutting down her screen time more and more lately.

Adam
10-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Yikes, totally disagree. Jenna, like Tracy, is tough to watch when she's misused, sure, but she's also definitely had her share of very funny moments. And she's an important foil to the Liz Lemon character

Kenneth, on the other hand, should not show up more than two or three times an episode. He's funny enough in small doses and every once in a while they do toss him a C story that works; like when he was trying to go to the Olympics and whatnot. But yeah, more often than not, you can usually expect some pretty cringeworthy stuff out of that apple-faced goon

Mara
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I like all the main characters, I think. Except the writer with the hat, who is one-note and completely misplaced in the opening credits.

[ETM]
10-19-2009, 08:54 PM
I like all the main characters, I think. Except the writer with the hat, who is one-note and completely misplaced in the opening credits.

We're seeing less and less of the writers lately. They even joked about it with Josh quitting. Frank is obnoxious and having more of the others would even things out. On the other hand, his hat signs got a bit subtler in this season, I hope the trend continues.

Ezee E
10-19-2009, 08:55 PM
YES. He's the one flaw to the entire show. The only time it worked out was when Alec Baldwin made him change his look.

Mara
10-19-2009, 08:57 PM
It's like Ryan on The Office. Yeah, I know he's a writer and a producer and whatever, but he's in four episodes per season. Why is he in the main cast credits?

Adam
10-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I think we can all agree, though, that they can never go wrong with more Pete

Hornberger!

BuffaloWilder
10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I'M NORMAL

I'M NORMAL

Ezee E
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
An okay episode. This was actually the first time I was annoyed by Will Arnett. I don't like how he's an antagonist.

Kurosawa Fan
10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
An okay episode. This was actually the first time I was annoyed by Will Arnett. I don't like how he's an antagonist.

I usually like him in that role, but this episode was underwhelming, him in particular.

number8
10-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Making that character work for Obama is a really stupid idea to begin with. He was funnier when he was desperate.

Ezee E
10-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Will Arnett is always funnier when in a desperate or suspicious situation. In this type, like in Blades of Glory, is not at all.

Ezee E
10-30-2009, 02:48 AM
Heh, 30 Rock just made fun of Jeff Dunham.

Or rather, those that like Jeff Dunham.

Dead & Messed Up
10-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Heh, 30 Rock just made fun of Jeff Dunham.

Or rather, those that like Jeff Dunham.

Does it count when Jeff Dunham's the actor portraying the Jeff Dunham-esque character? If anything, Dunham just won: both protagonists laughed at him at some point, and he got to share screen time with Alec Baldwin.

Ezee E
10-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Does it count when Jeff Dunham's the actor portraying the Jeff Dunham-esque character? If anything, Dunham just won: both protagonists laughed at him at some point, and he got to share screen time with Alec Baldwin.
Tough to say. It was a funny episode regardless.

I couldn't tell if it was Dunham at first, and when I saw it was, I laughed more actually. It's definitely making fun of his fans regardless, even if its making out Fey/Baldwin as snobs.

Loved Baldwin's smirk when Fey ordered her sandwich with extra whatever it was.

[ETM]
10-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Fantastic episode. So many things...

"Read my face!"

Half the Chuckle Hut looking exactly like Kenneth.

Adam
10-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Yikes. This season has just felt so off to me. Timing-wise it's been uncharacteristically awful and it doesn't help that the jokes/set-ups/situations have been so crushingly obvious/lame to begin with, too. What's going on, 30 Rock? I know you usually start your seasons slow, but I'm getting nervous

[ETM]
10-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't see it, honestly. This episode had the most little moments of hilarity of any in recent memory.

Adam
12-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Tracy's Wife: Oh Tracy Jordan, you're an idiot

Tracy: I know. We're lucky people laugh when I say things

Acapelli
12-07-2009, 03:38 AM
the last episode was probably the best one all season. hopefully this signals a return to form for the show

Dead & Messed Up
12-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Tracy's Wife: Oh Tracy Jordan, you're an idiot

Tracy: I know. We're lucky people laugh when I say things

I loved this exchange.

Kurosawa Fan
12-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Frank turning into Liz was phenomenal, and excuses all of Frank's lame jokes in the past. But seriously, end Kenneth. Please. It'd be doing us all a favor at this point.

number8
01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm getting awfully tired of this show. Even Franco's appearance was meh.

Mara
01-15-2010, 03:00 PM

Franco may have been meh, but Komiko may be my new favorite character. I would watch an all-pillow spin-off.

In all seriousness, though, I might be kinda over 30 Rock.

number8
01-15-2010, 03:12 PM
It's kinda like The Simpsons now.

Amiable characters but terrible storylines, chuckles here and there, side character highlights, one big laugh, ending with an overall feeling of "Why did I watch that instead of putting in a movie, or scrubbing the kitchen floor?"

[ETM]
01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
It's not as good as it was, but in all honesty I'm not seeing this huge drop at all.

number8
01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
;233418']It's not as good as it was, but in all honesty I'm not seeing this huge drop at all.

Well, I don't think The Simpsons went through a huge drop either, as its reputation often suggests. It's no longer good, but it's seldom completely terrible save for the occasional baffling episodes. It's more the fact that it's gotten stale and routine, which is what I think 30 Rock is becoming. Seriously, nothing ever really happens.

Kurosawa Fan
01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I think you're being a tad harsh. There are still some excellent moments on the show, and while it isn't what it once was, and sure, there are times where I feel like I would have been better off watching something else, to say it's more tedious that scrubbing your kitchen floor is absurd. I understand you were making a joke, but I think the show deserves better than that for all the laughs it's brought to the table, both in the past and, though much more sparingly, in the here and now.

number8
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
I actually was supposed to clean my kitchen floor last night, and didn't because of it.

Mara
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
It's still an amusing show, but I'm (frankly) watching too many shows. I may need to reset my standards a bit.

Ezee E
01-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Can't think of a show that's funnier on TV right now. So I'll keep on watching.

Kurosawa Fan
01-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Then you aren't watching Modern Family, which is tragic.

Ezee E
01-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Then you aren't watching Modern Family, which is tragic.
Don't even know what it is. Tell me.

number8
01-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Man, it's not even as funny as Community.

Mara
01-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Laughs per minute, I'd probably rank Better Off Ted the highest right now. It's slight, but holy crap is it funny.

Kurosawa Fan
01-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Don't even know what it is. Tell me.

Watch. (http://www.hulu.com/modern-family) Technically you should start from the beginning, but I don't think it would hurt too much to watch a random episode and get a feel for the comedy. I look forward to this show more than any other comedy I'm recording right now.

Ezee E
01-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Man, it's not even as funny as Community.
Definitely disagree there. Can't really watch that or Parks & Recreation.

EyesWideOpen
01-16-2010, 12:17 AM
The James Franco episode is my favorite episode of 30 Rock ever. Great from start to finish.

I'd say Better Off Ted and 30 Rock are neck and neck for me for funniest show on television. I'll put Parks and Recreation at a close third. I watched two ep's of Modern Family and three or four of Community and that was all I needed of those.

Acapelli
01-17-2010, 08:01 PM
"try to look like you just got drilled"

franco episode was the best episode this season and one of the best yet

Duncan
01-18-2010, 01:46 AM
Yeah, the Franco episode was hilarious. The one after that, not so much.

number8
01-22-2010, 01:28 PM
The Julianne Moore character is really wicked lame.

Ezee E
01-22-2010, 03:40 PM
The Julianne Moore character is really wicked lame.
Agreed. Although I liked the doorbell/lightbulb gag, when Alec Baldwin got an idea.

Mara
03-19-2010, 06:51 PM
I'll admit....

"Fresh-Ass: Based on the Novel "Tush" by Ass-fire"

...made me laugh.

number8
03-19-2010, 07:02 PM
The Pert Knockers is pretty clever, too.

Mara
04-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Lame alert: Liz's description of what she wants out of a relationship rang eerily true for me.

Kurosawa Fan
04-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Jack's reaction to her dodgeball goggles was fantastic. Highlight of the night for me.

Adam
04-25-2010, 05:57 AM
I'm so baffled by this show right now because, in one night, they had an episode that actually had the timing and gags of near-vintage 30 Rock and another with bad jokes and three incredibly lame story threads including a painful Conan-Leno rehash

Why can't you just be consistently perfect and hilarious, free provider of weekly entertainment!?

EyesWideOpen
05-09-2010, 05:50 PM
The Mother's Day episode was great. Everything with Buzz Aldrin was gold.

"I own you moon! I walked on your face!"
"Stupid moon, don't you know that it's daytime!"

EyesWideOpen
09-24-2010, 05:35 AM
Great opener. IMO, the most consistent comedy on the air and Tina Fey keeps getting hotter.

Kurosawa Fan
09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Agreed that it was a fantastic episode, but it's certainly not the most consistent comedy, IMO. There have been some big duds the last two seasons.

Henry Gale
09-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Having missed the majority of Season 4 (not so much on purpose, I would pretty much just watch Community and Parks last year then do other things), this was a great way to bring me back in.

In a week of a lot of TV, shows both new and old, good and bad, this and Community were able to really bring me back to a great comfort zone with the characters and comedy of each.

EyesWideOpen
09-25-2010, 12:50 AM
Agreed that it was a fantastic episode, but it's certainly not the most consistent comedy, IMO. There have been some big duds the last two seasons.

Different strokes, I guess. I've really liked every episode.

number8
09-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Was "See you October 14th!" a gag on when Damon will guest again next? 'Cause that's a Thursday.

number8
09-26-2010, 05:48 PM
What's up with comedies really going for meta gags these days?

Thirdmango
09-27-2010, 08:23 PM
This was a very good episode which does make me feel better considering the 4th season was a shit pile with a couple of gold nuggets mixed in.

Mara
10-15-2010, 05:48 PM
The live show was a little lame, but Jon Hamm's commercial was really fun.

But then, I just watched his (different) West Coast commercial, and it was AWESOME. SO, SO AWESOME.

http://www.nbc.com/30-rock/video/live-commercial-2-west-coast/1254542/

[ETM]
10-15-2010, 10:41 PM
The live show made me laugh a lot, and I almost forgot it was live in terms of the story just a few minutes in, so it was good in my book.

EyesWideOpen
10-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Yesterday's episode was great.

"I had just gotten a new haircut. Most people thought it was a Mary Lou Retton. But it was actually a Pete Rose."

[ETM]
10-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Yesterday's episode was great.

Being outside of the studio for almost the entire length of the episode for once was actually refreshing.

Henry Gale
10-23-2010, 03:20 AM
Jonathan: (to Liz) "You have so many unsolvable problems. Like your mouth, it looks like someone kicked a hole into a bag of flour!"

Kenneth: "Don't you worry, I'm sending you some money so you can get your operation. Now, can you put a human on the phone?"
*dial tone*

Liz: "I wanted to take a cab, but Greece is facing Pakistan in soccer..."

Tracy: (camera pushes into his face at the end of the third long take) "I'm sorry! I have an erection! I think it might have been the sound of the skateboard! Let's go again!"

Liz: "Okay fine, maybe I'm a little old-fashioned. I'm sorry I'm a real woman and not some over-sexed, New York nympho like those sluts on... Everybody Loves Raymond."

The show was at the top of its game this week. So many great moments. It had me giggling like an idiot for the whole half-hour. Even better than Community this week, I'd say.

Sycophant
12-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I wasn't posting on Match Cut when the live episode aired, but it was the television equivalent of cancer. 30 Rock is basically nothing without its snappy editing and slick production, and that episode proved it.

About a third of the episodes this season have been pretty good to really good. The other two-thirds range from tired to shitty.

The one with the story about Liz's great ass jeans was abysmal, except for Liz's great ass/great ass jeans. Fortunately, most episodes still have a couple gags or moments that make me smile enough to not feel like it's a total loss.

Mara
12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Did you see the version with Jon Hamm having a lady hand? Because that was a great 90 seconds.

Other than that, eh.

[ETM]
12-13-2010, 07:36 PM
About a third of the episodes this season have been pretty good to really good. The other two-thirds range from tired to shitty.

I thought it was quite the opposite - barely a couple weren't good to great. And I didn't expect to like the live episode(s) as much.

Duncan
12-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I've been liking this season a lot. Great ass episode was the one with John Slatterly, right? That was hilarious. Agree about the live show, though.

elixir
10-19-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm enjoying this season.

number8
10-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Wow, no one has been enthusiastic about this show in 2 years?

EvilShoe
10-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Just like Alec Baldwin.

ledfloyd
10-19-2012, 08:57 PM
last season was awful, but this one has been surprisingly good.

Acapelli
10-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Wow, no one has been enthusiastic about this show in 2 years?
i love this show. consistently my favorite nbc show since its inception, but no point in talking about it here, since most feel that the show has followed the same trajectory as the office (i disagree)

last season was almost as good as parks and rec. rewatched the whole thing last weekend

EyesWideOpen
10-21-2012, 12:48 PM
I fell behind because of this not being on hulu plus last year (the current season is) so I'm waiting for season 7 to be over and then I'm gonna watch it all from the beginning. It's one of my favorite shows.

Acapelli
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
"it's your heroes don cheadle and jazz!"

ledfloyd
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
where did this season come from!? it's absurdly good. the best comedy on tv right now.

Acapelli
10-26-2012, 04:31 PM
http://gyazo.com/c15f35b12d2102d510c7d018b2cc87 b9.png

Ezee E
10-27-2012, 05:50 PM
where did this season come from!? it's absurdly good. the best comedy on tv right now.
Go out with a bang perhaps?

Spun Lepton
01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Netflix kept telling me I'd like the show, so I've been watching it pretty regularly for the last month or so, starting from episode 1.

Netflix was right. I'm on season 5 right now.

Spun Lepton
01-15-2013, 12:38 AM
One of my favorite exchanges from the entire run:

Jack: "Imagine a dessert for two, Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream in a pool of cognac, drizzled in the world's most expensive chocolate, Amadei Porcelana, covered with shaved white, black, and clear truffles, topped with edible 25-carat gold leaf. Can you imagine anything better?"

Liz: "I dunno, ever put a doughnut in the microwave?"

Spun Lepton
01-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Is that brain? I hope it's not an important parg of my blern!

slqrick
02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Incredible finale.

ledfloyd
02-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Indeed. The most satisfying final season, and final episode, of a sitcom I can recall viewing.

MadMan
09-03-2014, 02:45 AM
I started watching Season 1 and I'm on the third episode. I wish I had viewed this show when it was on the air. Hilarious stuff.

Henry Gale
09-03-2014, 07:54 AM
I started watching Season 1 and I'm on the third episode. I wish I had viewed this show when it was on the air. Hilarious stuff.

Oh wow, if you're enjoying those early episodes that much, you're going to be over the moon once it really finds itself over the course of that first season and more or less doesn't lose that insane rhythm for years.

Been really feeling the urge to watch it all again recently, especially since it's one of those shows where there are genuinely so many jokes crammed into every episode (and every scene!) that I know I never caught that shouldn't go to waste, but also there's still all the bits I really know and love that I haven't seen in far too long. Plus there are a lot of episodes I missed the first time around in the middle seasons that I still find myself viewing as brand new when I happen upon them in syndication.

One of the most gloriously goofy and endearingly madcap shows there ever was.

Acapelli
09-12-2014, 03:52 AM
i've found it hard to muster the enthusiasm to watch a lot of newer tv and have just been watching 30 rock for at least the past month

rewatching it i've just realized this is definitely my favorite sitcom, and probably my favorite tv show, of all time

MadMan
09-13-2014, 06:32 PM
I like to hear that it becomes even better in later seasons. Also I wish I had tuned in when it was still on the air.