PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War

Dukefrukem
07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
It finally got funding... I'm still trying to find out how much, but if it's anything like the other movies Legendary has funded, Batman Begins, Superman Returns, and The Dark Knight, we can expect 100+ mil.

Its also being directed by Len Wiseman.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117989445.html?categoryid=1 3&cs=1

megladon8
07-28-2008, 05:06 PM
The words "Len Wiseman" killed it for me.

Dukefrukem
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM

I enjoyed the Underworld films and LFDH was alright...

Morris Schæffer
07-28-2008, 08:20 PM

Oh come on. Don't be so cynical. Die Hard 4.0 was really rather good. Can you honestly say there were more impressive action scenes in 2007 than in Die Hard 4.0? No doubt McG killed you for the Terminator franchise. Some of these directors get handed these silly movies such as Underworld and Charlie's Angels and, solely based on that, you guys have made up your mind. Besides, you really expected Steven Spielberg to be in charge of helming duties on Gears of War?

megladon8
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Oh come on. Don't be so cynical. Die Hard 4.0 was really rather good. Can you honestly say there were more impressive action scenes in 2007 than in Die Hard 4.0? No doubt McG killed you for the Terminator franchise. Some of these directors get handed these silly movies such as Underworld and Charlie's Angels and, solely based on that, you guys have made up your mind. Besides, you really expected Steven Spielberg to be in charge of helming duties on Gears of War?

No, I think Live Free or Die Hard was pretty bad, and the action was not filmed well at all.

But it's a video game movie, I don't know what I could possibly expect.

Who wants to bet that the lead will either be Dwayne Johnson or Jason Statham?

Dead & Messed Up
07-29-2008, 12:39 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed Live Free or Die Hard, and I thought it was a much better film than his previous two efforts (both of which struck me as technically proficient but dreadfully boring). I have no idea what the game's about, but I'm willing to give the film a shot.

I will say this: video game movie. That should be the cause of concern, not Len Wiseman.

Dukefrukem
07-29-2008, 01:01 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed Live Free or Die Hard, and I thought it was a much better film than his previous two efforts (both of which struck me as technically proficient but dreadfully boring). I have no idea what the game's about, but I'm willing to give the film a shot.

I will say this: video game movie. That should be the cause of concern, not Len Wiseman.

watch this and tell me there isn't hope of it translating well on the big screen...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8

Morris Schæffer
07-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Who wants to bet that the lead will either be Dwayne Johnson or Jason Statham?

Well, if that were to happen, it could likely be traced back to the game's characters. They are of course improbably "badass" and ludicrously bulked up. Maybe Prison Break's Dominic Purcell could fill the shoes of Marcus Fenix. Yeah, I ain't expecting master thesps either, but that's ok.

@Duke: That single minute of GoW footage + Mad world is more evocative than the entire game.

Skitch
07-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I've been a fan of everything Wiseman has made so far. He still has to die for marrying my woman, though. :evil:

Dukefrukem
07-29-2008, 03:02 PM
@Duke: That single minute of GoW footage + Mad world is more evocative than the entire game.

You're probably right, but there's a ton of potential here....

megladon8
01-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Len Wiseman is planning a trilogy of films. (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/videogames/343)

Described as "a harder edged Lord of the Rings".

Henry Gale
01-27-2009, 05:32 AM
I've only played through the second game in its entirety, but that alone has some of the best, most atmospheric design I've ever seen in a video game. The story is nothing special and pretty corny in spots (and if kept the same is pretty thin to spread across three films), but they definitely have their work cut out for them if they keep the visuals along the same line.

I can't really see this of all things being the first VG adaptation to be given handed such a big budget and expectations from a studio, but for the most part I like Wiseman so I hope for it to be good. And if it's quite decent then that will put it higher than all other video game movies that come to mind and likely finish this trilogy they plan on making, so everyone wins.

Morris Schæffer
01-27-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm hopeful although I certainly shouldn't be. I love videogames however and feel that eventually Hollywood will get it right. A trilogy for GoW could indicate that they're going all out with cast, budget and epic narratives.

Die Hard 4.0 was a fantastic blast btw!

EvilShoe
01-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Die Hard 4 sucks, a Gears of War movie is pointless, stop turning everything into a trilogy.
Bleh.

Skitch
01-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Die Hard 4 sucks, a Gears of War movie is pointless, stop turning everything into a trilogy.
Bleh.

Well, aren't we a ray of sunshine!

:pritch:

Dukefrukem
10-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Creative Artists Agency (CAA) is, "eager to meet with producers in the coming weeks and set up the project elsewhere." Gears of War on film was originally being helmed by producers Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey, who are best known for their work with the adaptation of the Twilight series from book to film. A first draft of a Gears script, written by Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides screenwriter Stuart Beattie, is expected to be taken to Chris Morgan and Billy Ray for consideration, both of whom lent help to the script. Morgan is known for his work on the film, Wanted, while Ray worked on the recent The Hunger Games.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118060511