PDA

View Full Version : Seven Samurai remake with Sonny Chiba...

D_Davis
07-28-2008, 04:02 PM
A friend sent me this info via AICN:

We get things rolling with Hiroyuki Nakano’s remake of Akira Kurosawa’s SEVEN SAMURAI. Nakano built quite a cult for himself with his brilliant SAMURAI FICTION – Tarantino cribbed some shots from this film for KILL BILL – before kind of spinning off into his own odd little world of hippy-love and a series of films, books and nature videos linked by the initials SF. Seriously, Nakano’s a bit of an odd guy but he’s also a genius with a camera which makes the fact that he’s doing anything at all a momentous occasion.

And what is he doing? Well, as mentioned, it’s a remake of Kurosawa’s SEVEN SAMURAI. Sonny Chiba fills one of the lead roles and several members of Kurosawa’s original creative team have been enlisted to get the look just right. And it really does look gorgeous. This being Nakano, though, there have to be some twists and in this case one major one is a soundtrack made up seemingly entirely of Rolling Stones tunes. Oh … and also there’s the little fact that this isn’t a theatrical release. Or a video release. Or a TV release. Or a web release. Nope … this film was made to be played on a specialty pachinko machine so if you want to see it you’ve got to go gambling. In Japan.

Dukefrukem
07-28-2008, 05:03 PM
you're pissed arn't you?

D_Davis
07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Why would I be pissed?

Kurosawa Fan
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm not pissed, but I'm not excited. I don't get excited when someone is remaking a film I find to be still excellent in quality and relevant in theme(s). It just doesn't need to be done.

Dukefrukem
07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Why would I be pissed?

I thought you were a huge 7S fan and would never want this to be remade.

megladon8
07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm not pissed, but I'm not excited. I don't get excited when someone is remaking a film I find to be still excellent in quality and relevant in theme(s). It just doesn't need to be done.

Especially when it's done in such a stupid way.

D_Davis
07-28-2008, 05:25 PM
It's not a real movie.

It's for a Pachinko machine.

However, if Nakano really were to make a Seven Samurai film with a healthy injection of rock 'n roll, I would totally be down. Nakano is awesome. Samurai Fiction is my favorite samurai film, and I would love to see him return to this genre with a new film.

The SF series is pretty interesting, and I wish it would get a wider release outside of Japan.

Grouchy
07-29-2008, 06:31 PM
*goes to Wikipedia to find out what the fuck is a Pachinko machine*

Stay Puft
07-29-2008, 07:26 PM
*goes to Wikipedia to find out what the fuck is a Pachinko machine*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4ALaUA60c

Wryan
07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
What the fuck is this.

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 07:52 PM
What the fuck is this.

I do not understand what is going on, but whatever is going on I do not understand it.

Dukefrukem
07-30-2008, 04:23 AM
dude, it's the remake of Oldboy!

MadMan
07-30-2008, 07:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4ALaUA60cWhat the hell was that? :lol:

And actually I want to see Samurai Fiction. I should really stop procrastinating and rent it at my local video store (I believe I saw a copy of it there weeks ago).

I could care less how a remake of Seven Samurai was made, or to what purpose or end. Although how it was remade again just makes me scratch my head in confusion. The Magnificent Seven was a pretty solid remake of SS though, and is one I rather liked even if it failed to capture what made the original so great in the first place.

Grouchy
07-31-2008, 12:26 AM
When talking about Seven Samurai remakes, let's not forget A Bug's Life.

EDIT: That video is a good omen - the Cage is still as seriously deranged as ever.

MadMan
07-31-2008, 12:31 AM
When talking about Seven Samurai remakes, let's not forget A Bug's Life.

EDIT: That video is a good omen - the Cage is still as seriously deranged as ever.Ah. I can't believe I forgot about that one. The more I think about it, the more I like A Bug's Life. I still think its one of the weaker Pixar films, but a solid/good Pixar film is still superior to much of Disney's output over the years.

Grouchy
07-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Ah. I can't believe I forgot about that one. The more I think about it, the more I like A Bug's Life. I still think its one of the weaker Pixar films, but a solid/good Pixar film is still superior to much of Disney's output over the years.
Agreed, Bug's Life is my least favorite Pixar, but it's still better than any Disney movie since The Lion King. I have the impression that if I saw Cars, though, that would become my least favorite Pixar.

Kurosawa Fan
07-31-2008, 12:38 AM
A Bug's Life is a pretty loose remake (more like an homage), but either way it's still Pixar's best film.

Grouchy
07-31-2008, 12:45 AM
A Bug's Life is a pretty loose remake (more like an homage), but either way it's still Pixar's best film.
The Incredibles and WALL-E beg to differ.

MadMan
07-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Agreed, Bug's Life is my least favorite Pixar, but it's still better than any Disney movie since The Lion King. I have the impression that if I saw Cars, though, that would become my least favorite Pixar.Yeah I haven't seen Cars either, or Wall-E for that matter (I will rectify that before it leaves theaters, of course).

Right now I think the best Pixar is Finding Nemo, but I can buy The Incredibles or the Two Story films are being the best also.

Kurosawa Fan
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
The Incredibles and WALL-E beg to differ.

They can beg all they want, they're still coming in second and third.

Grouchy
07-31-2008, 10:02 PM
They can beg all they want, they're still coming in second and third.
Yes...

IN CRAZY FUCKING COUNTRY THAT IS!

Best I could come up with.