PDA

View Full Version : X-Files

Pages : [1] 2

D_Davis
07-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Is there a thread for the TV series?

I couldn't find one.

Anyhow, my wife and I started watching season 1 yesterday. We are about 1/2 through it. I had forgotten about a bunch of the episodes. All I've really watched since the show has been off the air are the conspiracy episodes.

I did just find out that one of my favorite episodes, Space (the one about the astronaut haunted by the face on Mars), is widely considered to be among the very worst. I love it. It is so haunting, and it is simply a wonderful little SF story. Really good stuff.

Kurosawa Fan
07-27-2008, 10:03 PM
My wife and I both love it. She recently watched the entire series. I've seen every episode through season 7, but couldn't bring myself to go beyond that, even while my wife was watching. It's truly a great show. Even though the effects look corny at times, the stories transcend the budget limits and make the series creepy as all hell.

MadMan
07-28-2008, 12:30 AM
What I love most about this show is Cancer Man, who just might be one of the most complex villains ever in TV history. He's evil yet unshaken in his belief that what he's doing is right, a bastard but also willing to aid Mulder and Scully for his own mysterious ends. The fact that he ends up becoming Mulder's dad only makes things more juicy and interesting later on. And of course the fact that he knows what happened to Mulder's sister as well only makes him more important to the show, along with his ties to the overall large reaching conspiracy involving the aliens. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's not dead. Sure they showed him getting blown up, but he also survived getting shot and being thrown down the stairs.

Hopefully the movie works well, as they wisely brought Mulder and Scully back together full time. The reason why the fan fiction written Seasons 7 and 8 failed was because the new agents had zero chemistry with the two original man characters. The X-Files was great because Mulder and Scully worked extremely well together-they clicked in every single episode. Oh that and the fact that the stand alone episodes were freaky as hell, and that the conspiracy arc was entertaining and enjoyable until things got too weird and really silly. I think that happened around Season 5 or 6 if I recall. I'm not 100% sure about that. I do plan to eventually see every single episode of the show though.

D_Davis
07-28-2008, 01:44 AM
I just back from the store with seasons 2 and 3 :)

This store down the street from me has them on sale for $25 each. This is almost $15 cheaper than Amazon.

I'll probably end up buying them all this week.

The narratives are what make this show. The dialog isn't very good, the acting is often poor - especially from the side characters - but the stories are great. I also like how Fox's and Scully's characters are written; the writers handle their arcs with skill and subtlety.

There are definitely some clunker episodes in the first season, but over all it is pretty awesome. It's been fun checking these out again.

I watched seasons 3-6 religiously. Every Sunday night after band practice we would all get together and watch the X-Files. It was way cool. I didn't watch much after this though.

Dukefrukem
07-28-2008, 03:05 AM
I watched seasons 3-6 religiously. Every Sunday night after band practice we would all get together and watch the X-Files. It was way cool. I didn't watch much after this though.

Same here. After they wrote Mulder off I lost interest.

Best cliff hanger episode ever was the last episode of season 2, where the bodies are found in the buried train car and Mulder appears to die in a firebomb...

Season 2 is my all time favorite... Esp after Krycek is introduced...

D_Davis
07-28-2008, 03:07 AM
Best cliff hanger episode ever was the last episode of season 2, where the bodies are found in the buried train car and Mulder appears to die in a firebomb...

Oh yeah. That was amazing.

Morris Schæffer
07-28-2008, 09:30 AM
What I love most about this show is Cancer Man, who just might be one of the most complex villains ever in TV history.

I never really saw him as a complex character. More like lurking in the shadows and emerging briefly from them whenever the show needed an infusion of sinister. Still, I don't recall all the episodes in which Cancer man appeared.:)

EDIT: And his mastery of the German language in "Triangle" was pretty darn brutal.

Teh Sausage
07-28-2008, 10:43 AM
I love it, but it was always very inconsistent. I don't think they ever made a flawless season, though the second and third years come close. I'm not sure what my favourite episode is, but I know that the best set of episodes is the opening 6-8 of Season 2, when they introduced Krychek and had the Duane Barry arc. It's the main reason why S2 is one of my top three seasons - even though after they got Scully back, it went back to being an inconsistent MOTW show with only a few classics scattered here and there. Oh yeah, and the final episode of that year was stunning.

Bosco B Thug
07-28-2008, 08:40 PM
I did just find out that one of my favorite episodes, Space (the one about the astronaut haunted by the face on Mars), is widely considered to be among the very worst. I love it. It is so haunting, and it is simply a wonderful little SF story. Really good stuff. Yeah, I remember Space fondly. Some of the least recognized episodes are also some of the most tantalizing and intriguing for me. I love The Jersey Devil, to stick to Season 1, while Ice I've always found a bit overrated because it's just so derivative. Season 1 is so cute, fresh-faced, and adorably cop-showy.

I started re-watching the series a little over a year ago. Last episode I watched was Season 3, Episode 21 "Avatar" back in May. I'm getting there... (I only plan to watch up to Season 6).

D_Davis
07-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, Ice is far too derivative for me to take seriously at all. They might as well have gone all the way and jokingly called it "Thing Too", or something.

Dead & Messed Up
07-28-2008, 11:57 PM
I thought it was funny how a friend vaguely remembered two "really good" episodes. He said one was a goofy look at the conspiracies, and I said, "Oh, that one's 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space.'" And then before he could describe the second one, I said, "The other one you're thinking of is the one with the psychic who foresaw his own death in field of roses."

He looked at me weird, and then he said that was right. Then he recalled one which nearly scarred him. "Oh, that's 'Home.' Standards and practices kept it off the air for about five or six years after its first airing. Cause of the incest."

I'm a nurd.

D_Davis
07-29-2008, 04:51 AM
Just watched Shapes, the episode with the Native American lycanthropy. It was awesome.

chrisnu
07-29-2008, 06:37 AM
I thought it was funny how a friend vaguely remembered two "really good" episodes. He said one was a goofy look at the conspiracies, and I said, "Oh, that one's 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space.'" And then before he could describe the second one, I said, "The other one you're thinking of is the one with the psychic who foresaw his own death in field of roses."

He looked at me weird, and then he said that was right. Then he recalled one which nearly scarred him. "Oh, that's 'Home.' Standards and practices kept it off the air for about five or six years after its first airing. Cause of the incest."

I'm a nurd.
Those three, "Small Potatoes", and "Bad Blood" are the episodes I hear about the most from more casual fans. Not that they're bad, I just think they have a broader appeal than most of the show.

I'll agree with the opinion that Seasons 2-3 were the strongest seasons of the show, with Season 3 being my favorite. I think that other than Season 6, 3 had the strongest stand-alone episodes. "War of the Coprophages", "Grotesque", "Pusher", "Wetwired"... loved those episodes. I love "Quagmire", which is mostly a silly genre piece, but the Mulder/Scully interaction is choice.

I really liked Season 7, not so much for the stories, but how Mulder and Scully's relationship was developed. I suppose it may be far too playful for people who like their X-Files serious :), but I enjoyed watching their relationship become more casual. "Je Souhaite" is golden! Then the good times had to end. :sad:

Acapelli
07-30-2008, 03:32 AM
space and shapes are two of my least favorite season 1 episodes

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 03:42 AM
space and shapes are two of my least favorite season 1 episodes

Seems to be the consensus. I loved both of them.

I didn't watch Season 1 when it aired, so a lot of these are new to me. Only saw some of them on reruns.

Bosco B Thug
07-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Just watched Shapes, the episode with the Native American lycanthropy. It was awesome. "Shapes" had some beautiful cinematography and the monster is cool, but the episode didn't go anywhere or say anything.

I was totally expecting

the sister of the dead Native American man and the son of the rancher guy to end up being secret lovers, and the reveal being that she passed on the lycanthropy like some STD!

I don't know if that would've been utterly stupid or not, but it would've opened up windows for thematic considerations involving the irrational fears of ethnic/cultural intermingling. Mmhmmm, I'd have liked that.

I'll agree with the opinion that Seasons 2-3 were the strongest seasons of the show, with Season 3 being my favorite. I think that other than Season 6, 3 had the strongest stand-alone episodes. "War of the Coprophages", "Grotesque", "Pusher", "Wetwired"... loved those episodes. I love "Quagmire", which is mostly a silly genre piece, but the Mulder/Scully interaction is choice. I'll also throw in The Walk, D.P.O., Syzygy, and 2Shy as favorite MOTWs of Season 3. Great season.

War of the Coprophages is, though, I'd say rather firmly, my favorite episode ever (so far).

I hate Revelations, though. I prefered Scully without the delusions of biblical grandeur.

Raiders
07-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Syzygy

A favorite of mine though by all accounts, somewhat underrated. Mulder drinking/making out with a detective and going broke over an astrologist is some of the best moments in the series for me.

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 02:29 PM
I hate Revelations, though. I prefered Scully without the delusions of biblical grandeur.

I don't remember this episode, but I like Scully's religious journey in general. I thought it was interesting that Scully strove to reconcile her faith in light of her scientific pursuits. They didn't just make her an old Catholic for cheap origin reasons. While Moulder was striving to find an outward truth, Scully's arc had her searching for inner truth. This was always my favorite aspect of the show, and I thought the writers treated her crises of faith with an amount of respect not often shown in pop-culture.

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 02:31 PM
"Shapes" had some beautiful cinematography and the monster is cool, but the episode didn't go anywhere or say anything.

I was totally expecting

the sister of the dead Native American man and the son of the rancher guy to end up being secret lovers, and the reveal being that she passed on the lycanthropy like some STD!

I thought this exact same thing.

I think it is one of the better werewolf things - movie, or television. It's just simple little horror story.

Bosco B Thug
07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
A favorite of mine though by all accounts, somewhat underrated. Mulder drinking/making out with a detective and going broke over an astrologist is some of the best moments in the series for me. Oh yeah, Mulder drinking was truly pivotal character building. Also Scully achieving her desired control freak potential.

I don't remember this episode, but I like Scully's religious journey in general. I thought it was interesting that Scully strove to reconcile her faith in light of her scientific pursuits. They didn't just make her an old Catholic for cheap origin reasons. While Moulder was striving to find an outward truth, Scully's arc had her searching for inner truth. This was always my favorite aspect of the show, and I thought the writers treated her crises of faith with an amount of respect not often shown in pop-culture. It's acknowledged in very interesting ways in the movie.

My main problem with Revelations was actually something that bugs me about a lot of X-Files episodes - the episode brings up some serious social consideration (such as the abusiveness religion can take on) and then goes: "Oops, it's just ghosts/werewolves/mutants/wizards!" which effectively diffuses all commentary.

Show's still awesome for trying, though, most of the time.

Morris Schæffer
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Saw D.P.O last night. Episode 2 of season three. Co-starring Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black. Pretty damn middling.

Bosco B Thug
08-19-2008, 02:34 AM
Saw D.P.O last night. Episode 2 of season three. Co-starring Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black. Pretty damn middling. Aw, I really like D.P.O.. Story wasn't mind-blowing, true, but it was intelligently and solidly developed, and I remember it was the first episode to really make me sit up and notice how 'X-Files' goes above and beyond applying cinematic flair to its TV directing. I love the final shot's visual gag.

D_Davis
09-02-2008, 02:42 AM
Almost done with season 2 - it's fantastic.

I love the Dwayne Barry episodes and that the mythos episodes take center stage in this season.

The main characters get developed quite well here, and I love the moment when Skinner realizes he is being duped and reopens the X-Files. He and Mulder have some cool moments during the early episodes.

Dead & Messed Up
09-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Aw, I really like D.P.O.. Story wasn't mind-blowing, true, but it was intelligently and solidly developed, and I remember it was the first episode to really make me sit up and notice how 'X-Files' goes above and beyond applying cinematic flair to its TV directing. I love the final shot's visual gag.

What's the visual gag?

I thoroughly enjoy that episode. It was one of the first episodes I saw, and a recent re-viewing maintained a lot of the fun. Ribisi's perf is funny as hell, especially his repetitive, plaintive whine for "Missus Kiveat," and there's something cathartic about seeing Jack Black

struck by lightning.

Saya
09-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I was watching the season three cockroach episode The War of the Coprophages last night and was reminded how hilarious The X-Files could be. It's totally awesome.

Yxklyx
09-02-2008, 11:06 PM
One of the funniest for me is the one with all the freaks - the one where Scully eats the bug and the little man in the big man's stomach that comes out at night to eat people or something like that. Humbug. Awesome!

I didn't care as much for the series after season 5 but I love Triangle. I love the final pull out shot at the end of season 6 and wish it would have all ended right there.

number8
10-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Man, is Post-Modern Prometheus the best episode ever or what?

Raiders
10-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Man, is Post-Modern Prometheus the best episode ever or what?

"What." But it is a great episode, nonetheless.

chrisnu
10-19-2008, 02:25 AM
I think it is the most crowd-pleasing episode (although "Triangle" has a good case), and a very good one indeed, but not the best.

Bosco B Thug
10-19-2008, 02:38 AM
What's the visual gag? The end title ("Created by Chris Carter") is made up to be an image on the television screen Ribisi is watching, and its all inverted and translucent and stuff because our POV is from within the TV. Yeah, I don't know if I explained it very well. But it's neat, and thematically punchy, too!

Umm... about a season and a half, then I'll chime in on PMP. A "cute" episode, though, is probably the word for it.

Dead & Messed Up
04-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't know if it's a new development, but the entire series is on Netflix Instant.

I'd never seen the first episode before, so I watched it last night, and damned if there isn't something timeless about the show. It's funny how quickly the first episode establishes the tone, the characters, the entire package. Also, I didn't realize that the ending of the first film (Fight the Future) intentionally parallels the ending of the first episode. In both scenes, Scully approaches a panel of men and offers a small vial with a bizarre piece of evidence.

I'm eager to watch more.

Glass Co.
04-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I just watched "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" for the first time since it aired. What a fantastic episode. Peter Boyle reminds me that I can love his work.

Dead & Messed Up
04-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Like I was saying, show hits the ground running. After watching "Deep Throat" and "Tooms," neither of which I'd ever seen in its entirety, the whole attitude and craft is damn near impeccable.

Also fun to see 1993 versions of Seth Green, Donal Logue, and Doug "Horace Goodspeed" Hutchison.

chrisnu
04-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Season 1 drags a bit in the middle, but it's still quite good, and ends fantastically well. The episode with Brad Dourif ("Beyond The Sea") is my favorite from that season. Interesting bit of trivia about that episode: the writers of the episode forewent their salary in order to get Dourif.

Grouchy
04-04-2010, 03:56 AM
I've also been watching the entire series again, I'm 12 episodes into Season 2.

The three-part mini saga dealing with Scully's disappearance (Duane Barry / Ascension / One Breath) is some of the best television ever. Watching this after getting aqcuainted with "Twin Peaks" makes me realize how influential that other show was in setting the bar high for quality TV projects like this one.

D_Davis
04-04-2010, 04:01 PM
The three-part mini saga dealing with Scully's disappearance (Duane Barry / Ascension / One Breath) is some of the best television ever. Watching this after getting aqcuainted with "Twin Peaks" makes me realize how influential that other show was in setting the bar high for quality TV projects like this one.

Yes - great arc there. Really good, and surprisingly creepy.

megladon8
04-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Jen and I have been watching this a lot, as well as the first movie.

One of my very favorite episodes is from season 4, titled "Paper Hearts". It guest stars Tom Noonan as a child rapist/murderer.

MadMan
04-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Okay time to go back and watch episodes I did miss, and the ones I've already seen. The two years I was up at UNI I'd stay up late and view repeats of the show on TNT-I loved it when they'd play 2-4 of them each night during the week.

Grouchy
04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I watched a really awesome one yesterday, "Die Hand Die Verletzt". I don't remember seeing it before. The opening is already very good - you see a group of high school teachers talking about the plays the students will perform, saying Jesus Christ Superstar is not appropriate and wondering if they can censor "the f-word out of Grease". Then they'll say, "ok, we'll call it a day", they take out red candles and start praying to Satan.

It also has this dialogue:

*Mulder and Scully are arguing about whether it's an X-File or not when toads start raining from the sky*
Mulder: Well... lunch?
Scully: Mulder, toads are falling out of the sky!
Mulder: Guess their parachutes didn't open.

MadMan
04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Heh, I think I remember watching that one, or at least most of it. The X-Files has some of the coolest openings, ever.

Dead & Messed Up
04-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Been watching more of the first season. Mostly impressed. I just finished "Ghost in the Machine" last night. It had some very intriguing stuff, especially in its fusion of monster-of-the-week and mythos storytelling, but the evil CPU is too cheeseball to be threatening. Easily the least engaging episode so far.

chrisnu
04-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Been watching more of the first season. Mostly impressed. I just finished "Ghost in the Machine" last night. It had some very intriguing stuff, especially in its fusion of monster-of-the-week and mythos storytelling, but the evil CPU is too cheeseball to be threatening. Easily the least engaging episode so far.
There's another real clunker coming along very shortly...

Grouchy
04-08-2010, 06:06 AM
There's another real clunker coming along very shortly...
Maybe, I dunno which one you're talking about, but the inmediate next episode I assume he's gonna watch is fucking amazing.

I agree that "Ghost in the Machine" is more interesting before we actually see the evil computer doing its dastardly deeds. It's one of a handful of episodes that start with a great premise and get too out there to be effective. Another one a bit like that is "Gender Bender".

chrisnu
04-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Maybe, I dunno which one you're talking about, but the inmediate next episode I assume he's gonna watch is fucking amazing.
I agree that "Ice" is fantastic. However, "Space" is probably in my top 5 least favorite episodes.

Ezee E
04-08-2010, 07:16 AM
A bunch of seasons (maybe all) became available on Netflix. I'll start watching these immediately.

chrisnu
04-08-2010, 08:13 AM
It looks like they are. If I can recommend one episode which I think a lot of people haven't seen, it would be "Je Souhaite" (7x21). It's a bit of a "lite" episode, but it's a lot of fun.

Grouchy
04-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I agree that "Ice" is fantastic. However, "Space" is probably in my top 5 least favorite episodes.
Ah, yeah. That one's below average in every way.

Just watched the "Colony" / "Endgame" two-parter. I'm floored by all the suspense.

chrisnu
04-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Regarding Colony/End Game:

That shape-shifter alien assassin is a badass.

Winston*
04-08-2010, 11:11 AM
The one that really turned me off in season one was one with a ghost. To me that breaks the reality of the show, how can aliens be your big deal when you've just proved the existence of the afterlife?

Only watched the first two seasons. Humbug was definitely my favourite out of what I watched.

Dead & Messed Up
04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Watched "Fire" and "Beyond the Sea" over the weekend.

I remember promos for the "Fire" episode being my first exposure to the show. I was ten years old, and seeing that creepy guy with the big eyes slyly say, "Time to call 911" (just before igniting an entire friggin hallway!) was one of the images that pulled me into the show. Watching it for the first time now, it's a fun monster-of-the-week with a creepy performance from Matthew Sheppard (Romo Lampkin of BSG). There's also some subtle humor, as with Cecil's cigarette trick and Pheobe's status as an "old flame." Good stuff.

"Beyond the Sea" mostly lives up to its reputation, chiefly due to the performances from Brad Dourif and Gillian Anderson. David Duchovny mostly sits out the episode, and there's some interest in the way Mulder and Scully reverse roles for forty minutes. The segments with Dourif's monochrome visions don't hit that hard, but anytime Boggs and Scully share the screen, there's genuine electricity. The ending of the episode is perfect.

Grouchy
04-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Just finished watching "Asanazi" / "The Blessing Way" / "Paper Clip". I remembered these episodes a little too well compared to the previous two seasons. I think this is when I turned into a big fan. It's also awesome to see the birth of Skinner as the third wheel of the agents.

I know it's part of the internal logic of the show, but it's kind of stupid for Scully to keep questioning any of Mulder's theories at this point.

Oh, and the episode before Season 2 finale, "Our Town", is one of the fucking tops.

chrisnu
04-22-2010, 02:26 AM
That three-parter is the zenith of the show's mythology. The mythology in Season 3 is still very solid, but they start throwing everything and the kitchen sink into it around Season 4.

D_Davis
04-22-2010, 04:50 AM
"Space" is one of my favorite episodes. Just brilliant SF television, and the atmosphere of the episode is thick as can be. I know this one is hate on a lot, but I think it's one of the best of the entire series.

Adam
04-25-2010, 05:12 AM
Best mythology-based episode for me is Little Green Men. That one somehow feels more like a movie than either of the X-Files movies do

I know it's part of the internal logic of the show, but it's kind of stupid for Scully to keep questioning any of Mulder's theories at this point.

Ya, they were pushing it with her after like a couple of episodes even, but they kept that shit going for years. Within the first two seasons alone, Scully sees a bunch of monsters and she gets abducted and I think at one point she holds an alien baby in a jar

D_Davis
04-25-2010, 05:23 AM
I don't think she rejects what is going on, but she is not quick to conclude the origins of the things that happen to her. It's like a UFO. There are UFOs - that's a fact. There are things that are unidentified that fly in the air. What are they? If a Mulder sees one, he's quick to say that their origin is extraterrestrial; if a Scully sees one, she can still say she doesn't know what it is - it's a UFO - but she's not ready to say that it's not from this world until all of the evidence is examined. Scully had personal experiences with things, but her skeptic nature made her really questions what was going on.

I always liked how they balanced this with her religious side, although I wish they would have explored this theme in more detail.

Grouchy
04-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I always liked how they balanced this with her religious side, although I wish they would have explored this theme in more detail.
Part of the reason I liked the last movie so much is that they meddled with Scully's religion, something which I think they probably didn't have the freedom to do with the series because the network might not have wanted to risk it.

Dead & Messed Up
05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm past "Miracle Man," moving into "Shapes," and I was thoroughly impressed with "E.B.E." Great introduction to the Lone Gunmen, and very interesting to see a lot of concepts and images that would be used in the first feature film. So cool to see something I loved as a child and realize that it's better than I remember.

Grouchy
05-02-2010, 06:49 AM
So cool to see something I loved as a child and realize that it's better than I remember.
I have the same feeling, and I also feel I didn't fully appreciate or even completely understand it as a kid. The show is pop culture greatness.

Lasse
05-02-2010, 12:19 PM
"Space" is one of my favorite episodes. Just brilliant SF television, and the atmosphere of the episode is thick as can be. I know this one is hate on a lot, but I think it's one of the best of the entire series.

I remember watching "Space" when I was a kid. I had nightmares for days. I rewatched it last year, and while it's not one of my favorites, I agree that it's a good and very athmospheric episode.

D_Davis
05-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Just finished the last movie. Really liked it. I think it is a very brave film in how small and personal it is. Very mature, and I like that they didn't feel the need to make the come-back, as it were, a big, giant spectacle.

chrisnu
05-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Just finished the last movie. Really liked it. I think it is a very brave film in how small and personal it is. Very mature, and I like that they didn't feel the need to make the come-back, as it were, a big, giant spectacle.
The movie is the reason why the opener of the sixth season is utterly disappointing. You'll figure out why.

Grouchy
05-03-2010, 06:44 AM
The movie is the reason why the opener of the sixth season is utterly disappointing. You'll figure out why.
Nah, he's talking about I Want to Believe, the 2008 one.

chrisnu
05-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Nah, he's talking about I Want to Believe, the 2008 one.
Oops! The second movie is good primarily because it avoided the entire alien conspiracy which, by the end of the ninth season, was an irredeemable mess.

Dead & Messed Up
05-03-2010, 07:28 AM
I dug I Want to Believe. It felt like a well-done, feature-length version of one of their better episodes. Nice to see the nod to Luther Lee Boggs and Clyde Bruckman, as well.

chrisnu
05-21-2010, 10:28 PM
I think those episodes are "Patient X" (which is the first of a two-parter, "The Red and the Black" is the other) and "Quagmire". Those are all great episodes.

Dead & Messed Up
06-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Just watched Season 2's "Aubrey." Haunting stuff, as a killer's homicidal traits are passed on genetically to an unsuspecting host. This biological "curse" becomes especially sad when history repeats itself for a victim who was assaulted fifty years ago. Also, Terry O'Quinn's in the episode.

Speaking of that, I was watching at work, while my a.p.o.c. was watching Lost's "The Man From Tallahassee." I pushed for her to restart Lost, and she's been liking it, although she made some good points regarding the badness of "Enter 77." In retrospect, it's a dumb episode.

Dead & Messed Up
07-06-2010, 01:50 AM
I'm through "Humbug," which was creepy and hilarious and amazing, and of course it is, because it was written by Darin Morgan and directed by show producer Kim Manners.

Awesome.

jenniferofthejungle
07-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Nice! I really liked Humbug. I started watching these again a few months ago and almost became obsessed again. I made it to season 5 before I started all over again. I'd been thinking about making an X-Files thread wherein I discussed every episode, but I got tired just thinking about it. :lol:

Dukefrukem
07-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Have they said anything about a Blu-Ray release yet?

jenniferofthejungle
07-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Every time I notice this thread, I get the urge to finally, and properly, watch this show.

Give in to that urge.

Dead & Messed Up
07-09-2010, 02:20 AM
Got through the "Anasazi"/"Blessing Way"/"Paper Clip" arc today, and wow.

Moment of sheer badassery:

Cancer Man: What is this?
Skinner: This is where you pucker up and kiss my ass!
Cancer Man: Listen -
Skinner: (Interrupting) Now, you listen to me, you son of a bitch! This man's name is Albert Hosteen. You should remember that. Because if Agents Mulder and Scully come down with so much as a case of the flu, Albert is prepared to recite, chapter and verse, file for file, everything on your precious tape.
Cancer Man: It's a nice try, Skinner.
Skinner: I'm sure you're thinking Albert is an old man and there are plenty of ways you might kill him too. Which is why, in the ancient oral tradition of his people, he's told twenty other men the information on those files. So unless you kill every Navajo living in four states... that information is available with a simple phone call.

BAM.

chrisnu
07-09-2010, 02:38 AM
In my opinion, that is the zenith of the series' mythology. Classic television.

Dead & Messed Up
07-09-2010, 02:46 AM
In my opinion, that is the zenith of the series' mythology. Classic television.

Luckily, my recollection is that Season 3 is the Darin Morgan season, so if the mytharc isn't as interesting, individual episodes will have more personality than usual.

RoadtoPerdition
07-09-2010, 02:47 AM
While it's slightly OT, I wish they would do another movie but base it around the mythology of the series. The last movie tanked because it really had nothing to do with the show. It's one of the best TV series of all time though. I watched it on and off when it originally aired, but was able to watch them straight through on DVD. Took over a year I would say, but a very enjoyable journey. It does drop off once Duchovny drops off as a series regular, but there are still some good episodes towards the end.

Dead & Messed Up
07-09-2010, 02:55 AM
While it's slightly OT, I wish they would do another movie but base it around the mythology of the series. The last movie tanked because it really had nothing to do with the show. It's one of the best TV series of all time though. I watched it on and off when it originally aired, but was able to watch them straight through on DVD. Took over a year I would say, but a very enjoyable journey. It does drop off once Duchovny drops off as a series regular, but there are still some good episodes towards the end.

I liked both of the movies, and I would enjoy a third one that "wraps up" the whole 2012 invasion thing, but given the returns of I Want to Believe, I don't think that's going to happen.

Bummer.

RoadtoPerdition
07-09-2010, 03:01 AM
I liked both of the movies, and I would enjoy a third one that "wraps up" the whole 2012 invasion thing, but given the returns of I Want to Believe, I don't think that's going to happen.

Bummer.

The thing that was confusing to me about the release of that movie was that I read that the creators said if the movie did well at the box office, they would then make another one that included mythology from the series. Wouldn't it have just made sense to have I Want to Believe include mythology so that fans of the show would be more drawn in? I don't get that decision.

Grouchy
07-09-2010, 11:29 PM
The thing that was confusing to me about the release of that movie was that I read that the creators said if the movie did well at the box office, they would then make another one that included mythology from the series. Wouldn't it have just made sense to have I Want to Believe include mythology so that fans of the show would be more drawn in? I don't get that decision.
I think the idea was not to confuse casual audiences who might go see it without remembering or knowing the mythology all that well. As it turned out casual audiences did not see the movie.

But personally, I don't think it was a bad decision. I liked the story of the movie, and I think Chris Carter used that Monster of the Week to explore themes the TV networks probably didn't let him delve into all that much.

Dead & Messed Up
07-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Through "D. P. O." (Jack Black! Giovanni Ribisi!) and "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" (best X-File ever?).

I predict that the show will not be better than it is in seasons 2 and 3.

jenniferofthejungle
07-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Through "D. P. O." (Jack Black! Giovanni Ribisi!) and "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" (best X-File ever?).

I predict that the show will not be better than it is in seasons 2 and 3.

Season 4 had some great ones.

Home
Paper Hearts

I can't remember the others right now.

Clyde Bruckman was my absolute fave. :sad:

chrisnu
07-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Seasons 2-4 are definitely the pinnacle of the show. From Season 4, "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man' is a favorite of mine, but that one seems to be overlooked due to the lack of Mulder and Scully. Other episodes which aren't so popular which I really enjoyed are "Unruhe" and "Elegy". The mythology is in kickass mode for most of the season, but I think they stuff too many different things into it. This season also has my favorite Vince Gilligan episode, "Small Potatoes". David Duchovny is a comic genius in that one.

My absolute favorite episode varies from time to time: today, I will pick "Milagro".

jenniferofthejungle
07-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Seasons 2-4 are definitely the pinnacle of the show. From Season 4, "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man' is a favorite of mine, but that one seems to be overlooked due to the lack of Mulder and Scully. Other episodes which aren't so popular which I really enjoyed are "Unruhe" and "Elegy". The mythology is in kickass mode for most of the season, but I think they stuff too many different things into it. This season also has my favorite Vince Gilligan episode, "Small Potatoes". David Duchovny is a comic genius in that one.

My absolute favorite episode varies from time to time: today, I will pick "Milagro".

I forgot about Small Potatoes. :lol:

I don't remember Milagro, chrisnu, but will be one I revisit soon enough.

From Season 4 I really remember disliking The Field Where I Died.

chrisnu
07-12-2010, 02:10 AM
I agree. It seems to be a fan favorite, but I hated it. I also hated "Never Again", which is most known for featuring Jodie Foster's voice.

D_Davis
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Through "D. P. O." (Jack Black! Giovanni Ribisi!)

I saw Tenacious D play just a few months after that episode with Jack Black. It was weird. I had never heard of them, and I thought "Hey, that's the dude from that X-Files show!" Crazy.

jenniferofthejungle
07-12-2010, 11:10 PM
I agree. It seems to be a fan favorite, but I hated it. I also hated "Never Again", which is most known for featuring Jodie Foster's voice.

Agreed. I'd expected that episode to be great, but it was a complete disappointment. One of my online friends has that tattoo (we both love that style) and so to her this was the most amazing episode ever, but I was left wondering what the heck I'd missed. And I am sorry, but Foster's voice is not amazing enough to lift this episode into anything special.

Dead & Messed Up
07-18-2010, 05:18 PM
I watched "The List" last night, and I couldn't believe I was watching an episode featuring J. T. Walsh and Ken Foree. The story's alright, but seriously. Walsh and Foree! They both added a lot to their roles.

Dead & Messed Up
08-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Does anybody remember "War of the Coprophages" clearly? I ask because something's confusing the shit out of me right now (doesn't help that it's late and I'm tired). The episode implies that the real "threat" was mass hysteria, and the cockroaches themselves happened to be in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Halfway through the episode, though, Mulder finds a cockroach made out of metal, and there's no explanation for it. We never learn where it came from, what it was doing there, etc. It's this really weird loose end.

Did I miss something on this one?

Dukefrukem
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Bah wish I could help D&MU. I vaguely remember the cockroach scene.

Dead & Messed Up
10-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Watched "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" all the way through, for the first time, last night, and I was shocked by how near-tears I was by the end of the episode. The wrap-up narration by Reilly, set against all the misfits and victims, took a satirically genius episode and elevated it into this enormous existential plea.

I think I'm going to watch it again when I get home tonight.

Dukefrukem
10-21-2010, 11:50 AM
That's my all time favorite episode. With a close second, the one with Peter Boyle.

Yxklyx
10-27-2010, 01:02 AM
I love the one where Scully swallows a bug - the one with the freaks. What season was that?

Dead & Messed Up
10-27-2010, 01:34 AM
With a close second, the one with Peter Boyle.

Yeah, that's "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" from Season 3, a Darin Morgan episode.

I love the one where Scully swallows a bug - the one with the freaks. What season was that?

Yeah, that's "Humbug" from Season 2, a Darin Morgan episode.

D_Davis
11-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm sick. It's cold. I'll be staying on the couch all day watching the mythology episodes.

MadMan
12-16-2010, 11:07 PM
So I finally got around to going back through the entire series. I'm currently on the 5th episode, and I have to say that the first four are all great, although Conduit was a bit weak in some areas. Squeeze was incredibly creepy, and Pilot and Deep Throat did a fantastic job of jumpstarting the show's mythology and overlying character and story arcs.

Dukefrukem
12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Squeeze and the sequel were two of the creepiest best episodes in all 8 seasons.

megladon8
04-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Have been on a real stint with this show lately. Loving it.

Last night I watched the episode "Pusher" which was pretty decent, with a particularly great ending.

MadMan
04-27-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm now about midway through Season 3. Season 2 was really amazing, and Season 3 has been quite great so far. Season 1 was merely very good, but I like it a lot. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose was brilliant-its a shame that Peter Boyle was only on one episode of The X-Files. But he nails the part.

megladon8
05-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Was there ever an episode that dealt with the Cthulhu mythos?

Or anything Lovecraft related for that matter?

Raiders
05-16-2011, 05:13 PM
The show never referenced Lovecraft explicitly, but it almost seems unnecessary given that its framework is very much seemingly indebted to the author.

megladon8
05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
The show never referenced Lovecraft explicitly, but it almost seems unnecessary given that its framework is very much seemingly indebted to the author.

Which is why I would have loved to have seen, for example, an episode in which the agents investigate the Esoteric Order of Dagon or something.

It seems like they tackled just about every piece of horror lore and myth, except Lovecraft stuff.

Spun Lepton
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Which is why I would have loved to have seen, for example, an episode in which the agents investigate the Esoteric Order of Dagon or something.

It seems like they tackled just about every piece of horror lore and myth, except Lovecraft stuff.

This show started so strong, and went strong for such a long time.

Too bad in the end we learn ...
Absolutely nothing except, "Don't worry, God will sort it out."

F#%@ you Chris Colombus.

Dead & Messed Up
05-16-2011, 10:46 PM

The first movie is insanely Lovecraftian. The caveman intro, the guy in the suit talking about the "original inhabitants of this planet," the Mountains of Madness ending, the miscegenation. It's not explicit, but it's there.

megladon8
05-17-2011, 12:14 AM
The first movie is insanely Lovecraftian. The caveman intro, the guy in the suit talking about the "original inhabitants of this planet," the Mountains of Madness ending, the miscegenation. It's not explicit, but it's there.

Agreed, I am just saying it would have been cool for an episode to deal with an actual Lovecraft story/entity.

Such as the Esoteric Order of Dagon. Or a "Shadow Over Innsmouth" type story, with Mulder and Scully investigating Innsmouth.

Mara
08-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Ugh, fine, MAKE me go in the correct thread, why doncha?

I am repeatedly amused by the unspoken but repeatedly insinuated running joke that Scully is grossed out by almost nothing, while Mulder is constantly grossed out but always tries to play it cool in front of Scully.

This one, in "Leonard Betts" is particularly funny... although you kind of have to be watching Mulder's face to get the full effect.

SCULLY: All hospitals operate some form of medical waste processing. This unit disposes of surgical remains – amputations, excised tumors. They’re ground up and heated with microwaves and the result is a uh, sterile soot that’s used as road fill.

MULDER: Well, then there’s probably nothing there for us to find.

SCULLY: Well, that depends on how often they dispose of their waste. Hopefully, only once every few days. (check inside.) We’re in luck.

MULDER: Are you sure about this, Scully? Because if you’re not sure I don’t see that there’s any reason to disturb all this stuff, just …

SCULLY: (reaching in unit, squishing sounds) Mulder, I think I’m going to need your help. Your arms are longer.

Thirdmango
08-19-2011, 05:57 PM
I just haven't seen it yet. :)

Mara
08-19-2011, 11:51 PM
The message of "Kaddish" makes me a little uneasy.

"Anti-semitism is bad! Don't hate the Jewish people! OR THEY WILL RISE FROM THEIR GRAVES AND KILL YOU! RAWRRRR!"

Then again, this show often has an uneasy relationship with racial and religious minorities.

MadMan
08-22-2011, 03:09 AM
The message of "Kaddish" makes me a little uneasy.

"Anti-semitism is bad! Don't hate the Jewish people! OR THEY WILL RISE FROM THEIR GRAVES AND KILL YOU! RAWRRRR!"

Then again, this show often has an uneasy relationship with racial and religious minorities.Was that the one with the Jewish Golum? I didn't find that episode to be racist, but more about exploring an old Jewish cultural myth. I also thought it was a really good episode.

Mara
08-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Was that the one with the Jewish Golum? I didn't find that episode to be racist, but more about exploring an old Jewish cultural myth. I also thought it was a really good episode.

Golem.

I didn't think it was racist, I just thought there were some unfortunate implications. I wasn't wild about it.

MadMan
08-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Golem.

I didn't think it was racist, I just thought there were some unfortunate implications. I wasn't wild about it.Fair enough. At some point I'll revisit that one. I don't recall which season it was featured in.

chrisnu
08-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Fair enough. At some point I'll revisit that one. I don't recall which season it was featured in.
I think it's episode 15 of Season 4.

Mara
08-24-2011, 01:03 AM
"Small Potatoes" was awesome.

"Where do I SLEEP???"

Mara
08-24-2011, 06:58 PM
4.21, "Zero Sum."

Skinner gives a little something for the ladies. GOOD. NIGHT.

chrisnu
08-24-2011, 07:03 PM
4.21, "Zero Sum."

You know that's the only reason that's in there, too. :D

Mara
08-24-2011, 07:11 PM
You know that's the only reason that's in there, too. :D

The episode is all like, "Bees bees bees," but I'm stuck here going, "I wonder if Skinner's going to lose his clothes again."

Mara
08-24-2011, 07:39 PM
By the way, can anyone explain to me what happened with Skinner's wife? They were getting divorced, then she was in the hospital, then... she was never mentioned again. Did she die? Did she live? Are they together? Apart?

Dead & Messed Up
08-24-2011, 08:44 PM
4.21, "Zero Sum."

Skinner Love is a phenomenon I've heard about many times but never personally witnessed. I am fascinate.

Mara
08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Skinner Love is a phenomenon I've heard about many times but never personally witnessed. I am fascinate.

He's secretly hot. It creeps up on you. The baldness and the nebbish glasses hide it for awhile, but he has a really attractive face and a ridiculously nice body. Plus handsome hands and a sexy speaking voice, which are death for me.

chrisnu
08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
By the way, can anyone explain to me what happened with Skinner's wife? They were getting divorced, then she was in the hospital, then... she was never mentioned again. Did she die? Did she live? Are they together? Apart?
I distinctly remember Skinner being single later in the series. I think he even moved at one point. His wife is never mentioned other than that single episode.

Mara
08-25-2011, 02:15 AM
I distinctly remember Skinner being single later in the series. I think he even moved at one point. His wife is never mentioned other than that single episode.

Dude, I think she died. Kind of uncool to kill her without even mentioning it.

Mara
08-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Only a few minutes into "Bad Blood" 5.12, but a few comments:

1. Scully's capacity for never getting grossed out has reached a new level, when she examines the contents of a man's stomach during autopsy then pauses and says, "That sounds good." You are a sick woman, Dana.

2. Scully looked great a couple of episodes back in vacation mode, wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Did you know she has breasts? True story. Anyway, the very moment a case developed she put on a huge, bulky black blazer. 'Cause that's how she rolls.

3. I am really enjoying this season. As usual, I like it when the show relaxes and takes itself less seriously. However, when we got to "The Post-Modern Prometheus" I was surprised to find that the show can get too silly. I was just rolling my eyes by the end. Also, I had no idea how hard-core the (excellent) Supernatural episode "Monster Movie" ripped off this episode.

4. When is the general consensus for when the show is no longer good?

[ETM]
08-30-2011, 04:39 PM
He's secretly hot. It creeps up on you. The baldness and the nebbish glasses hide it for awhile, but he has a really attractive face and a ridiculously nice body. Plus handsome hands and a sexy speaking voice, which are death for me.

I've always been fascinated by him, because it's painfully obvious that he's totally ripped, even though he's always in formal wear as well as bald and with glasses, as you said.

Raiders
08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Bad Blood is a marvelous one-off episode, but I have always found it awkward in how literal it makes the dichotomy of the two main characters by having their different versions the entire point of the episode. Still, it has some of the best Mulder/Scully banter of the entire series.

The show is worth watching all the way through Season 7, though it is definitely weaker in that season and maybe even a little in Season 6. You are definitely best off forgetting Seasons 8 and 9 even exist.

Mara
08-30-2011, 05:28 PM
I thought it was really fun, but I'm a sucker for multiple-viewpoint storytelling.

The show is worth watching all the way through Season 7, though it is definitely weaker in that season and maybe even a little in Season 6. You are definitely best off forgetting Seasons 8 and 9 even exist.

Good to know. I'm comfortable going through season 7-- I just don't want to invest once it's not worth my time.

Mara
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I've been too busy lately to be watching much, but I don't really get Mulder's crisis of faith in season 5.

Even if it's not aliens performing the abductions, and it's just the government... so what? People are still being abducted, right? Experiments performed? Memories erased? Fetuses stolen? Mulder keeps acting like if it's not aliens, it's not "real" and therefore worthy of no consideration. He shakes his head sadly at people who have been forcibly taken and tortured, and calls them fools.

Mulder, I will smack your smug face.

chrisnu
09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I agree. I didn't like Mulder's hard skepticism that season.

Be sure to watch the first movie after finishing season 5. The opener of season 6 picks up where the movie left off.

Mara
09-06-2011, 10:59 PM
I saw the film in theaters, but I don't remember it much. Bees?

ledfloyd
09-06-2011, 11:41 PM
for some reason i haven't watched any of this since i watched the season 4 finale about three or four weeks ago.

chrisnu
09-07-2011, 12:24 AM
I saw the film in theaters, but I don't remember it much. Bees?
Oh yes.

MadMan
09-07-2011, 02:16 AM
for some reason i haven't watched any of this since i watched the season 4 finale about three or four weeks ago.I'm still stuck on Season 3, but that's only because after Jose Chung From Outer Space I've viewed most of the episodes that follow it (save for perhaps the season finale). I should revisit the first movie at some point, as I recall only vague things about it. My opinion on it for now is that its solid/decent.

Mara
09-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Season 6 is really reminding me of Supernatural seasons 3-4. Similar goofy-horror vibe, same fantastically insane plots. It's not a bad thing... I really enjoyed those seasons of Supernatural... but it's sort of odd and not-X-Files-like.

A demon takes human form and impregnates human women in an effort to breed a non-demon baby but is eventually taken down by a demon who pretends to be human to have a demon baby? That's... just... Sam and Dean are all over that.

Dead & Messed Up
09-15-2011, 01:47 AM
Season 6 is really reminding me of Supernatural seasons 3-4. Similar goofy-horror vibe, same fantastically insane plots. It's not a bad thing... I really enjoyed those seasons of Supernatural... but it's sort of odd and not-X-Files-like.

A demon takes human form and impregnates human women in an effort to breed a non-demon baby but is eventually taken down by a demon who pretends to be human to have a demon baby? That's... just... Sam and Dean are all over that.

Bruce Campbell's damned good in that episode.

MadMan
09-15-2011, 07:55 AM
I must have not seen that episode, cause I don't remember Bruce Campbell being on the X-Files. It makes sense that he was, though.

Mara
09-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I must have not seen that episode, cause I don't remember Bruce Campbell being on the X-Files. It makes sense that he was, though.

He chews his way through the episode with glee and vigor.

By the way, I've seen a lot of these episodes before. I think this was when I was in college and therefore had more freedom to watch television.

MadMan
09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Before I decided to go all the way through the series this year, I had seen most of the episodes via repeats on Fox and TNT. I did watch the last two seasons when they were originally aired on Fox, and thus I saw the series finale before I had viewed most of the show, which is why I'm curious about how I'll feel about it when I finally finish all of the show. Even though the show's now on Instant Viewing I really do miss staying up late and catching repeats on Fox and TNT.

Thirdmango
09-16-2011, 01:37 AM
for how much tv I watch and have watched, I have to admit, I've literally only seen half of one episode of this show. It's one near the beginning which has some dude who sets fire to everything.

Dead & Messed Up
09-16-2011, 01:42 AM
for how much tv I watch and have watched, I have to admit, I've literally only seen half of one episode of this show. It's one near the beginning which has some dude who sets fire to everything.

That dude was Mark Sheppard, aka Romo Lampkin of TV's Battlestar Galactica.

Mara
09-16-2011, 12:48 PM
That dude was Mark Sheppard, aka Romo Lampkin of TV's Battlestar Galactica.

He is also Badger from Firefly, as well as having recurring roles on Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Dollhouse, and has been a one-off character in probably a dozen other shows I watch or watched (Chuck, Warehouse 13, etc.)

Mark Sheppard: The Guy Who Is On Every Good Show.

[ETM]
09-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Mark Sheppard: The Guy Who Is On Every Good Show.

Yeah, the Mark Sheppard Full Employment Act of 2009 (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.c om/entertainment_tv/2009/07/mark-sheppard-comiccon-middleman.html).

His dad actually plays an older version of him on Doctor Who, and also narrates Civilization V. Busy family.

Mara
09-26-2011, 10:13 PM
I've been zipping along, enjoying or not enjoying episodes, not asking much of seasons 6-7. There's some good stuff.

But the resolution to Mulder's sister mystery is beyond lame. She was rescued by benevolent space angels? Give me a freaking break.

Also, so far season 7 has relied way to heavily on mystical religion plots.

Mara
09-27-2011, 12:14 AM
And then "First Person Shooter" was terrible. Just... awful. And embarrassment. One of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen. We're talking "Beer Bad"-BAD.

"X-COPS" was pretty fun, though.

Mara
09-29-2011, 06:39 PM
"Hollywood, A.D." is really dumb, but worth it for just the scene where there's a tri-split screen with Mulder, Scully, and Skinner all taking bubble baths.

chrisnu
09-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I've been zipping along, enjoying or not enjoying episodes, not asking much of seasons 6-7. There's some good stuff.

But the resolution to Mulder's sister mystery is beyond lame. She was rescued by benevolent space angels? Give me a freaking break.

Also, so far season 7 has relied way to heavily on mystical religion plots.
Agreed, but I think the mythology was borked beyond repair by the beginning of season 6.

And then "First Person Shooter" was terrible. Just... awful. And embarrassment. One of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen. We're talking "Beer Bad"-BAD.

"X-COPS" was pretty fun, though.
Wait until you watch "Fight Club". "X-COPS" was fun. "The Amazing Maleeni" was fun. "The Goldberg Variation" was fun. I'd describe a lot of this season as fun, but paltry.

"Hollywood, A.D." is really dumb, but worth it for just the scene where there's a tri-split screen with Mulder, Scully, and Skinner all taking bubble baths.
Yes.

Mara
09-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Wait until you watch "Fight Club".

Just watched it. Total poop. Really bad. I'm almost done with season 7, and emotionally ready to move on.

Was "The Lone Gunman" any good? Was Skinner in it? Does he take his shirt off?

chrisnu
09-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Just watched it. Total poop. Really bad. I'm almost done with season 7, and emotionally ready to move on.

Was "The Lone Gunman" any good? Was Skinner in it? Does he take his shirt off?
Just pretend that "Requiem" is the series finale. (Actually, I prefer to pretend that "Je Souhaite" is the series finale.) I really wouldn't touch Seasons 8 or 9. They torch everything in the series up to that point, and piss on the corpse.

I thought that "The Lone Gunmen" was awful. Imagine the jokiness of "Hollywood A.D." as an entire series, but featuring The Lone Gunmen instead of Mulder and Scully. I don't remember Skinner taking his shirt off.

chrisnu
09-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I've been looking for John Hiatt's cover of "Don't Look Any Further", which was recorded specifically for the episode "Orison" for years, and haven't been able to find it.

Also, do not take the episode "Millennium" as representative of the series proper. It also pissed on the corpse of that show.

Mara
09-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Just pretend that "Requiem" is the series finale. (Actually, I prefer to pretend that "Je Souhaite" is the series finale.) I really wouldn't touch Seasons 8 or 9. They torch everything in the series up to that point, and piss on the corpse.

Raiders said that too. I'm comfortable ending here.

I thought that "The Lone Gunmen" was awful. Imagine the jokiness of "Hollywood A.D." as an entire series, but featuring The Lone Gunmen instead of Mulder and Scully. I don't remember Skinner taking his shirt off.

WELL THEN THAT'S OUT.

MadMan
09-29-2011, 11:34 PM
When it came out, I enjoyed The Lone Gunman. I wonder if my opinions on it would change if I give it another viewing, seeing as I haven't watched that show since middle school. Or did it end my freshmen year of high school? I don't remember.

Dead & Messed Up
09-30-2011, 04:22 AM
The Lone Gunmen is notable purely for its pilot episode that features a plane nearly crashing into the World Trade Center.

MadMan
09-30-2011, 04:39 AM
It had 24 beat in terms of a 9-11 style moment created before 9-11 actually happened. Weird.

Mara
10-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Gillian Anderson is still smoking hot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/2248056816_2661692138.jpg

Yxklyx
10-11-2011, 02:50 PM
"The executives at Fox wanted someone with less radiance and more sex-appeal cast in the role of Scully, but writer-director Chris Carter insisted that Gillian had the no-nonsense integrity that the role required. "I sort of staked my pilot and my career at the time on Gillian. I feel vindicated everyday now," says Chris Carter about his decision to stand firm on his choice for Scully. "

MadMan
10-13-2011, 02:36 AM
Fox excs being wrong about something? Hold the presses :P

Milky Joe
10-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Watching "The Field Where I Died." Any chance that calling the crazy religious leader "Vernon" is a tribute to Bill Hicks who had a joke about that?

Dukefrukem
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I just bought the entire X-Files Collection on DVD for $75.

Pretty happy about that.

Yxklyx
10-21-2011, 04:15 PM
I just bought the entire X-Files Collection on DVD for $75.

Pretty happy about that.

Wow! I bought the first six seasons like 4 years ago - cost me a lot more than that.

Dukefrukem
10-24-2011, 02:05 AM
I re-watched the first four episodes of Season 1 this weekend. Its amazing how low budget these episodes are, but still are superbly written. With the exception of the 2nd episode, where you actually see some CGI with the triangle ship, everything that is shown is either implied with bright lights or just implied with low budget signs and rooms and some forest/trees. It's wonderful.

Milky Joe
10-26-2011, 02:26 AM
"Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man" is soooo good.

Dead & Messed Up
11-01-2011, 06:53 PM
We are but visitors on this rock, hurtling through time and space at sixty-six thousand miles an hour. Tethered to a burning sphere by an invisible force...in an unfathomable universe.

I'm feeling X-Filesy today.

MadMan
11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I finally watched "Jose Chung's From Outer Space," and its funny, great, wonderful, etc. However as awesome as that episode is, I prefer from Season 3 Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, which is beyond brilliant. I'm also a fan of The Walk, which was properly creepy and is underrated. I'm almost done with Season 3, and I've seen most of the final four episodes, but I'm going to watch them all anyways and move on to Season 4 finally.

Dead & Messed Up
11-01-2011, 07:55 PM
"Quagmire" is one of the best episodes of the show ever.

MadMan
11-01-2011, 07:57 PM
"Quagmire" is one of the best episodes of the show ever.Big Blue>Nessie.

Wetwired is also really fantastic. Season 3 finishes incredibly strong.

Dukefrukem
11-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I am currently in the process of rewatching the series (currently on episode 8 of season 1) and I can't wait to hit some of these episodes later.

If I had to seriously rank them from my prior knowledge. It would be:(yes I looked up each episode)

1. Jose Chung's From Outer Space (S3 E20)
2. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (S3 E04)
3. Deep Throat (S1 E02)
4. Anasazi (S2 E25)
5. The Post-Modern Prometheus (S5 E5)
6. Ascension (S2 E6)

MadMan
11-03-2011, 04:58 AM
I much prefer the first part of the two part arch that ends Season 3 and then begins Season 4. But then again the ending to Season 2 and the beginning of Season 3 was more suspenseful and had a lot more at stake, really.

Also I'm not going to revisit "Home" tonight. I can't believe Fox got away with re-airing that episode. Save that one for the daytime....

Dead & Messed Up
11-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Factoid for fans of both Breaking Bad and The X-Files. In addition to Vince Gilligan bringing over Bryan Cranston after working with him on "Drive," it's not unlikely that he brought over Raymond Cruz (aka Tuco Salamanca) due to fond memories from "El Mundo Gira," where he plays a vessel for a Fortean mold that's mistaken for the Chupacabra.

Also, X-Files can get really weird. I mean, some guy becomes a vessel for a Fortean mold that's mistaken for the Chupacabra, for God's sakes.

It's almost as weird as "Gender Bender," where hermaphroditic alien Mormons secreted drugs from their hands and constructed honeycombs in the ground.

[ETM]
11-03-2011, 06:32 AM
I hate that X-files raised the bar on weirdness so high, and that Fringe writers were compelled to reach it with some episodes. "Creature of the week" episodes are the worst.

ledfloyd
11-03-2011, 07:03 AM
;381880']I hate that X-files raised the bar on weirdness so high, and that Fringe writers were compelled to reach it with some episodes. "Creature of the week" episodes are the worst.
but the 'creature of the week' episodes are usually the highlights of the x-files.

chrisnu
11-03-2011, 09:36 AM
5 favorite episodes:

"Anasazi" (S2 E25)
"Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" (S3 E04)
"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" (S3 E20)
"Small Potatoes" (S4 E20)
"Milagro" (S6 E18)

Dukefrukem
11-03-2011, 11:42 AM
;381880']I hate that X-files raised the bar on weirdness so high, and that Fringe writers were compelled to reach it with some episodes. "Creature of the week" episodes are the worst.

Totally agree here. I think the main problem is the "science" behind X-Files was so much more believable with Scully as the skeptic and DD as the "passer of all information". With Walter already being a weird character, his "science" makes Fringe push the weirdness level way past the X-files, but it's not even the same ballpark at this point. It's more funny than spooky, which takes away from the episode's theme... A LOT.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2011, 11:45 AM
5 favorite episodes:

"Anasazi" (S2 E25)
"Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" (S3 E04)
"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" (S3 E20)
"Small Potatoes" (S4 E20)
"Milagro" (S6 E18)

Great picks. Had to look up Milagro and I don't quite remember the episode too well.

Anasazi's cliffhanger was probably the best cliffhanger ever in a TV series. I was DYING after that episode ended.... :pritch: The only other time I was utterly pissed I had to wait until the next season was Who Shot Mr Burns?

Mara
11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
It's almost as weird as "Gender Bender," where hermaphroditic alien Mormons secreted drugs from their hands and constructed honeycombs in the ground.

I was gonna let this slide, but come on. If anything, they are Amish derivatives, not Mormon.

Raiders
11-03-2011, 02:05 PM
"Anasazi" always gets the glory (as season finales tend to do), but the whole three-episode arc is easily the series' best mythology/conspiracy moment. I think I actually may even find "Paper Clip" more memorable. It's relentless and that final moment with Scully's conviction and Anderson's acting still sends chills down my spine. "The Blessing Way" often gets overlooked as being a weaker middle-child episode, but it does a lot of the heavy hitting in set-up and theme-work, particularly dealing with Mulder in a symbolic manner (which apparently frustrated Duchovny). I think more than any episode to that point, it made it clear that the series is really more of Scully's tale and she carries the dramatic weight.

I think we can also all agree that Darin Morgan's Season 3 contributions are kind of remarkable. He's responsible for "Clyde Bruckman," "Jose Chung" and "War of the Coprophages," all three among the five or ten best episodes of the entire series. He also constributed to "Blood" and "Humbug" is Season 2, two of the better episodes from that season. Kind of amazing he hasn't gone on to much else since then.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Yes Raiders. Ahh. You gave me chills reading that post. Brought back so many fond memories. "Paper Clip" is definitely in my top 10. I hate the reveal of the ship but love that Mulder finds the warehouse. ( i think that's the episode)

I had forgotten about "War of the Coprophages" until you mentioned it. Why did you think that one was so great?

I will also admit "Blood" and "Humbug" are two episodes that I also remember vividly, which is signs of effective writing. (keep in mind, I was 10 when these episode aired and I still remember specific scenes)

Raiders
11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I had forgotten about "War of the Coprophages" until you mentioned it. Why did you think that one was so great?

It's one of the funniest, most goofy and charming episodes of TV, comedy or drama, I have ever seen. Duchovny is in particular absolutely fantastic in this episode. The Mulder/Scully phone calls where Mulder is trying his best to get her to come there but she keeps rationalizing the situation (a goofy summation of their relationship) are hilarious.

"Still want me to come up?"

Dukefrukem
11-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't remember that. Looking forward to seeing it during my series re-watch.

Dead & Messed Up
11-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I was gonna let this slide, but come on. If anything, they are Amish derivatives, not Mormon.

I'm sorry, Mara. I sometimes make mistakes. I'm just like any one of you Earth humans.

::shifty-eyes::

chrisnu
11-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Great picks. Had to look up Milagro and I don't quite remember the episode too well.
It's how I knew of John Hawkes many years before he started getting awards attention.

MadMan
11-04-2011, 05:35 AM
I'm sorry, Mara. I sometimes make mistakes. I'm just like any one of you Earth humans.

::shifty-eyes::GET 'EM BOYS!

Milky Joe
11-04-2011, 08:46 AM
It's how I knew of John Hawkes many years before he started getting awards attention.

John Hawkes! I love how it seems like in at least one out of every three episodes I watch there is some random actor that I love in a bit part. Titus Welliver, Zeljko Ivanek, Pruitt-Taylor Vince, John Savage... many others I can't think of right now. It's star-studded.

MadMan
11-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Rewatching "Home" reminds me why I found it so disturbing. There's a sense of sadness involved, too, but its mostly just really really creepy.

MadMan
01-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Okay despite starting out a tad slow Season 4 has come on really strong. The first couple of episodes are a mixed bag (with only the first two being really good/great) and then my all time favorite episode, "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man" jump starts the whole season and now its pretty awesome. The two parter in Russia with the black oil is fairly entertaining, and looking through the rest of the season I've previously viewed a fair amount of the remaining episodes past episode 11, so I know that what lies in store is really awesome. I think the season I've viewed the least amount of is maybe 6, or possibly 7-I can't remember, really.

Dukefrukem
01-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Ah yes! Black Oil episodes are fantastic. I'm slowly making my way through Season 2. I have four episodes left. I thought about starting a thread where I review every X-files episode... but not sure it would get much attention.

MadMan
01-12-2012, 05:21 AM
I decided to look back through my favorite TV shows list, and I noticed that my entry about The X-Files said that the dialogue wasn't that well written. LOL me, I must have been thinking about the last couple of seasons or some of the weaker episodes. I love most of the show's dialogue, and how a lot of it is incredibly and surprisingly brainy for a TV show that aired on Fox on Sunday nights. Whoa.

Right now I'm on Small Potatoes. I just finished rewatching Synchrony, which is a great episode and has an incredibly unique take on time travel. Very fascinating.

Dead & Messed Up
01-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Dammit, you lapped me. I just finished "Leonard Betts," which I wasn't too big on. The episode gets points for predicting Scully's cancer, but it's just one gross thing after another, like "Sanguinarium" or "Firewalker."

MadMan
01-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Dammit, you lapped me. I just finished "Leonard Betts," which I wasn't too big on. The episode gets points for predicting Scully's cancer, but it's just one gross thing after another, like "Sanguinarium" or "Firewalker."Aye, I agree with you about all of those episodes, save for maybe Firewalker which if I recall was actually pretty good. I'm thinking of the episode where the geologists stumble across something horrible out there in the forest, and it had a really creepy yet tragic ending to it. The other episodes you mentioned were rather boring, now that I think about it.

Small Potatoes I don't particularly recall much about save for some of the earlier material that happens. But I've heard good things about it, and really Season 4 at this point is truly great.

Dukefrukem
01-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I just finished Our Town in Season 2. One episode away from the season finale.

As for Firewalker, having watched it recently, is nothing special. In fact, it’s quite slow and resembles the same framework as the ice episode with the worms. However, when I was thinking about reviewing each episode, this stuck in my head as fantastic direction by David Nutter (who also directed the ice episode). There is a FANTASTIC shot at the very beginning where Mulder and Scully get out of a helicopter. The camera stays on them as the walk away from the helicopter (panning left) and the helicopter takes off (from off screen) and flys directly overhead and eventually stays in frame with Mulder and Scully as it quietly flies away from the camera. Fantastic work from David Nutter there.

Dukefrukem
01-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm thinking of the episode where the geologists stumble across something horrible out there in the forest, and it had a really creepy yet tragic ending to it.

Is that F._Emasculata that you're thinking of? (just watched that recently too). Involves a prison.

MadMan
01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Is that F._Emasculata that you're thinking of? (just watched that recently too). Involves a prison.No, I'm pretty sure I was thinking of Firewalker. I remember F. Emasculata really well, and its a great episode-one that I had previously seen thanks to TNT airing repeats of The X-Files back when I was a junior in college (2008).

chrisnu
01-12-2012, 10:44 PM
"Small Potatoes" is my favorite comedic episode.

Dead & Messed Up
01-13-2012, 08:51 PM
"Never Again" was a superb episode. One of the best of the show yet. A wonderful mix of monster-of-the-week, overall story, and character development. This shows Scully with more range, which is to say that it gives her desires outside not being killed by slimy things. "Leonard Betts" hints at Scully having cancer, and while this episode was originally supposed to air before that one, the potential of mortality gives Scully's re-assessment of her life some added oomph. It never feels less than her being honest, but there's a subtle dimension to what she's doing. Certainly it gives a boost to her picking out the "ouroboros" tattoo, which symbolizes both the cycle of birth and death and immortality. I have to wonder if this is another hint of Scully somehow living forever. The first was when she asks Clyde Bruckman how she dies, and he answers, with that sad smile, "You don't."

MadMan
01-13-2012, 10:46 PM
As much as I don't care for Leonard Betts, I do agree that Never Again is really pretty good. Scully living forever though? Well it is TV :lol:

Oh and Small Potatoes was really funny, and entertaining. "I was born a loser. You are a loser by choice." Ouch. I liked the ending, especially, as Scully tells Mulder he's a not a loser, to which Mulder replies with "But I'm not Eddie Van Blundht."

Thanks to the fact that I still kept the X-Files mythology in mind, right off the bat I was able to tell that Zero Sum was an episode that would focus on that mythology, or at least the show's overlying major conspiracy. Plus the opening credits ruined that since I know William B. Davis plays Cancer Man, and Laurie Holden as UN employee Marita Covarrubias. I just now realized after watching that episode that Holden is Andrea on The Walking Dead. Too bad she's way better on The X-Files than she is on that show, although that character is terribly written while the writers on The X-Files clearly were way better.

PS: Zero Sum is also great because it focuses on AD Skinner, who at this point is now one my favorite characters on the show.

So I am almost finished with Season 4, and I hope to get to Season 5 by Monday at least.

MadMan
01-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Having finished the rather great Season 4, here's what I think of the show halfway through:

Season 1-B+
Season 2-A-
Season 3-A-
Season 4-A-

That's a pretty high level of consistency there, and I'm pretty amazed at how amazing three out of the four seasons have been.

ledfloyd
02-07-2012, 10:14 PM
i'm in the midst of season 6, and while it's been an noticable decline from the quality maintained in seasons 2-5 'tithonus' is easily a top 10 episode for me. and without saying too much, it gives creedence to DAMU's hypothesis.

chrisnu
02-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Agreed about "Tithonus".

If I were to rank the seasons, I'd use three tiers:

Tier 1: Seasons 2-4 (A)
Tier 2: Seasons 5-6 (B)
Tier 3: Seasons 1, 7 (B-)

ledfloyd
02-08-2012, 01:42 AM
i've been rating the seasons as i go on my super nerdy tv spreadsheet and thus far i have B-, B, A-, B+, B

MadMan
02-08-2012, 08:10 AM
I finished watching "Bad Blood" yesterday, and its a really funny episode that I liked a lot. Time to dive back into the mythology with "Patient X."

Dukefrukem
02-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Bah. The first season is genus. (A+) Considered the budget they had to work with I'd say the first season is one of the best.

Just watched Paper Clip the other night. Brilliant.

MadMan
02-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Well I finished Season 5, and it was also pretty great, with only two bad episodes overall. I liked that it was only 20 episodes long, really. Gets a strong A-, and unfortunately I cannot get my hands on the first movie. Although I have already seen it twice, I would like to have watched it after going through the first five seasons. Anyways I'm dreading going through Seasons 8 and 9, which I have seen a decent amount of, but I'm looking forward to viewing Seasons 6 and 7.

Season 6 has a great start, btw. Oh and The End, the finale of Season 5, was a punch to the gut. I can't believe how it concluded. Really bleak.

chrisnu
02-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I'd be interesting in what you considered the bad episodes from Season 5, MadMan.

After seeing Fight the Future, "The Beginning" (Season 6 opener) was a HUGE disappointment for me. I think that the mytharc was already in bad shape before that, but it was all downhill from there. In general, the stand-alone episodes from Season 6 are outstanding, with a couple exceptions ("The Rain King" and "Agua Mala", I'm looking at you. "Terms of Endearment" and "Alpha" are meh.)

MadMan
02-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Mind's Eye and All Soul are the ones I am referring to in terms of the bad episodes from Season 5. I rather like how Season 6 starts out, as I just finished watching Drive.

I actually like The Rain King. For some reason I think I might have seen Agua Mala before, but I won't be sure until I watch it (I'm avoiding Wikipedia for now due to potential spoilers, even though I have seen the series finale and most of the show). Its also possible that I have also viewed some of Terms of Endearment, but not Alpha.

chrisnu
02-23-2012, 11:47 PM
The two major stinkers from Season 5 for me are "Chinga" and "Travelers".

Bruce Campbell is in "Terms of Endearment". Even he couldn't save that episode, although he made it more tolerable.

MadMan
02-24-2012, 04:18 AM
The two major stinkers from Season 5 for me are "Chinga" and "Travelers".

Bruce Campbell is in "Terms of Endearment". Even he couldn't save that episode, although he made it more tolerable.I liked Chinga, and I actually thought really highly of Travelers.

Ah yes I remember it was either you or DaMU that told me that Bruce Campbell was in an episode of The X-Files.

ledfloyd
02-25-2012, 05:48 AM
it seems like EVERYONE is trying to write funny episodes in season 6. it's kind of strange. i watched "Arcadia" earlier, which was one of the better ones. i've really only liked Drive, Triangle, Tithonus and Monday so far. i did feel Two Fathers/One Son was a pretty succinct summing up of the mythology eps to date, if not particularly exciting in its own right.

ledfloyd
02-27-2012, 09:52 PM
so it turns out the X-Files got to the whole fast food cannibalism thing before Buffy did, with equally dubious results. easily Vince Gilligan's weakest episode to date. this doesn't bode well for season 7.

MadMan
02-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I'll get back to The X-Files at some point. Right now I actually find Buffy way more addictive. If the site is still around in five years my update of my Top 10 Favorite Shows list will look fairly different.

ledfloyd
02-27-2012, 10:16 PM
I'll get back to The X-Files at some point. Right now I actually find Buffy way more addictive. If the site is still around in five years my update of my Top 10 Favorite Shows list will look fairly different.
buffy is a much better show, but there is definitely something to be said for the x-files.

MadMan
02-28-2012, 01:33 AM
buffy is a much better show, but there is definitely something to be said for the x-files.Oh I love The X-Files. I try not to hold the last two seasons against it too much.

number8
03-20-2012, 02:12 AM
The Sheriff in "Blood" is one of the most boring actors I have ever seen. His line deliveries are hilariously uncommitted.

Lasse
03-20-2012, 10:14 AM
I just started watching the first season again. Most of these episodes I haven't watched in 10 years, but they're still so familiar since I watched them over and over back then. I love this!

Oh, and I belive Beyond the Sea is next up. If memory serves, it's bloody brilliant.

Raiders
03-23-2012, 03:45 AM
The Sheriff in "Blood" is one of the most boring actors I have ever seen. His line deliveries are hilariously uncommitted.
What's hilarious about this is the guy is a voice actor.

Dukefrukem
08-16-2012, 05:39 PM
-Dw3m-vIj7A

Lasse
08-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Just finished season one. Pretty good, and some of the episodes I haven't watched in eight years, which is when I last went through the show. Watching the first episode of the second season now, and I can't wait for some of the upcoming episodes. The second season is my favorite - or at least it was, eight years ago.

Dead & Messed Up
08-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Re-watched "The Post-Modern Prometheus" for the first time in years. Yep, still a classic. A completely whacked-out insane go-for-broke classic that matches the best of Darin Morgan's work.

MadMan
08-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Re-watched "The Post-Modern Prometheus" for the first time in years. Yep, still a classic. A completely whacked-out insane go-for-broke classic that matches the best of Darin Morgan's work.I really loved that episode. A truly wonderful spin on the classic Frankenstein story-too bad more X-Files episodes weren't filmed in black and white (only one or two others come to mind).

Morris Schæffer
08-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Re-watched "The Post-Modern Prometheus" for the first time in years. Yep, still a classic. A completely whacked-out insane go-for-broke classic that matches the best of Darin Morgan's work.

See if my memory serves me well. This is the one with J. peterman, Elaine Benes' boss in Seinfeld right?

Dead & Messed Up
08-18-2012, 07:02 PM
See if my memory serves me well. This is the one with J. peterman, Elaine Benes' boss in Seinfeld right?

Yep.

Lasse
08-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Oh my, season 2 is so good. :pritch:

MadMan
08-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Oh my, season 2 is so good. :pritch:Season 2 really is fantastic, imo. I was really surprised by how higher the quality of the show was, and some of my favorite episodes are in that season. I think that people forget how awesome Season 2 is because it was eclipsed by Season 3.

Lasse
08-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Agreed MadMan.

Aaaaaaand here's Alex Krycek! That asshole!

MadMan
08-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Agreed MadMan.

Aaaaaaand here's Alex Krycek! That asshole!Going back through the show I've rediscovered how Alex is such a wonderfully perfect scumbag. Where as Cancer Man seems to be about power and achieving a set goal, Alex is all about screwing everyone simply so he can get paid, or something. He clearly lacks any principles.

chrisnu
09-03-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm so glad this was GIFed.

http://i.imgur.com/YmtUV.gif

Lasse
09-14-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm so glad this was GIFed.

http://i.imgur.com/YmtUV.gif

Oh, she's so pretty.

And I love the lighter tone of D.P.O. after a series of conspiracy-heavy episodes. And having Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black in the same episode is just plain awesome.

Lasse
09-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Finished 2Shy - and I was wondering if this is one of the first episodes where Mulder & Scully fully crack the case?

The murderes confesses to his actions and survives to be further interrogated on. I can't remember closure like that in any previous episode.

MadMan
09-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Finished 2Shy - and I was wondering if this is one of the first episodes where Mulder & Scully fully crack the case?

The murderes confesses to his actions and survives to be further interrogated on. I can't remember closure like that in any previous episode.Heh I guess it kind of is. Which is odd, really. Pretty creepy episode, although not as good as some of the others from that season. The one after that is much superior: The Walk, which is actually a favorite of mine from Season 3.

Yxklyx
10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
D.P.O. is one of my favorites. I just rewatched Musing of a CSM. That one is one of the best episodes ever. Loved it!

I like the writing on this blog:

http://imadethischriscarter.blogspot. com

though it can be hard to navigate.

chrisnu
10-03-2012, 08:03 PM
YES! Some appreciation for Musings of a CSM. That may be a top 10 favorite of mine.

Yxklyx
10-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Home and Sanguinarium are two other episodes I've loved so far from season 4. I'm rating them on imdb.com this time through - let's see which year ends up the best.

MadMan
10-04-2012, 08:06 AM
YES! Some appreciation for Musings of a CSM. That may be a top 10 favorite of mine.Its my favorite episode from the show's run. Especially since I love the CSM.

The only reason I haven't been burning through Season 6 is that I've viewed most of the episodes. I last left off before the two part Dreamland arc, which is a great two parter but I've already seen it before.

Milky Joe
10-05-2012, 06:03 AM
People don't like that episode?

chrisnu
10-05-2012, 07:14 AM
People don't like that episode?
Yes, I've known fans who complain that there isn't enough Mulder and Scully in the episode.

Dead & Messed Up
10-05-2012, 07:35 AM
"Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man" is fantastic. I love how it shifts from conspiracy-mystery into parody.

I recently watched "Triangle" for the first time. Slight, especially with that ending, but undeniably fun.

MadMan
10-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Yes, I've known fans who complain that there isn't enough Mulder and Scully in the episode.Wow. That's just weird. The show takes time to explore one of its greatest villains, and all some fans can think is "Where's Mulder and Scully?" Odd.

Dukefrukem
10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Not making a new thread until it gets picked up, but Chris Carter to finance a new drama series. Entitled The After

revolves around a mysterious, unexplained event. In the vein of The X Files, The After incorporates elements of science fiction, suspense, and real-world fear and paranoia. “Chris has woven his mythology magic within a very human, grounded story about the moment when we realize all of our worst fears about the world and its future,

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/chris-carter-to-do-thriller-drama-series-for-georgeville-television/

Lasse
10-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man was indeed great. Haven't watched that episode since the show's first run here in Denmark.

The ending of Tunguska was as clear to me as the first time I watched it. Truly exciting and sort of terrifying. I used to have nightmares about the black oil when I was younger.

number8
05-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Holy shit, I don't know how I missed this but apparently IDW announced a couple months back that they're doing Season 10 in comic form, similar to what Buffy is doing.

The series will take place sometime after the second movie. Chris Carter is executive producer and showrunner, just like Whedon's role with the Buffy comics, overseeing and giving notes on the scripts and outlines to make sure that they fit with canon and his vision of where Mulder and Scully should go next.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/23bd03b27a41a15708aef2503ee214 ef/tumblr_mmlidlMqZ31rojbapo8_128 0.jpg

Dukefrukem
05-14-2013, 07:19 PM
That is cool news. I notice the monster in the third X is one that got away in the series. :)

MadMan
05-15-2013, 04:11 AM
I just finished Monday and Arcadia, both which were really funny and entertaining. Season 6 has a lot of humor and that's a good thing. I'm now on Alpha, so I'm pretty well into the season with only 6 or 7 episodes left.

MadMan
07-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Season 6 was really excellent. Maybe the best season of the bunch, or at least up there. So far Season 7 is off to a really good start. Hunger is freaky-that opening sequence actually freaked me out a bit.

chrisnu
07-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I thought the mythology episodes in Season 6 were below par (except for "Biogenesis"), but the stand-alones were great, with quite a few of them being among the best in the series.

For my money, I thought Seasons 6-7 contained too much humor. It seems TPTB agreed, since they made Season 8 as dark and serious as possible in contrast.

If you ever watch the series Millennium, the X-File will make you want to claw your eyes out. That's all I'll say about that.

Dead & Messed Up
07-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Same here. The more parodic and light-hearted style didn't really sit too well with me, especially since Seasons Two to Four (and some of Five) contained a terrific blend of the gruesome and the goofy.

Season Six had some great individual eps, more than I expected, but it's of a more post-modern, self-reflective style. The kind of premises that feel like cooks squeezing the last bits of juice out of a fruit. Season Seven was a wash.

I'm finishing up Season Nine right now, and it's just a bummer, because you can tell that the show should've either spun off into a Doggett/Reyes series (X-Files: LA or something) or ended at the close of Season Eight. The show could've ended a few times earlier with a bit more dignity, but at the end of Season Eight,

You see Doggett and Reyes steward the X-Files office, you see Scully with a successful delivery (which has a reasonable symmetry with her previous mama drama), and you see Mulder and Scully have a nice, long kiss.

I watched that a week or two ago, and I thought, "End it here! Goddamnit, end it here!"

number8
07-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh I got the first issue of Season 10. It's actually really cool. Mulder and Scully living in the suburbs under false names, doing their thing. I like it.

chrisnu
07-06-2013, 07:29 PM
I think Seasons 8-9 had the potential to be much better with Mulder entirely out of the picture. But no one would've watched that. Attempting to juggle both the old and the new characters caused ALL the character work to suffer.

If I ignore the ongoing storyline and view the standalone episodes from Seasons 8 and 9 as self-contained, while they're no match for the show's heyday, quite a few of them are good, and better than many of the standalones from Season 7 and the weaker ones from Season 6.

Will need to check out Season 10...

MadMan
07-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Well damnit I liked the humor in Season 6. I guess I'm alone in that regard. So far Season 7 is solid/good, but I imagine this is where things started to slowly go downhill. I'll give 8 a chance again but I expect 9 to be as awful as I remember.

Its pretty cool that they are doing a comic series. I want to check that out.

chrisnu
07-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Season Six had some great individual eps, more than I expected, but it's of a more post-modern, self-reflective style. The kind of premises that feel like cooks squeezing the last bits of juice out of a fruit. Season Seven was a wash.

Agreed. I'm trying to think of how many episodes in Season Six we find out never actually happened, or what happened is effectively erased by the end of the episode:

"Triangle"
"Dreamland"/"Dreamland II"
"How The Ghosts Stole Christmas"
"Monday"
"Field Trip"

Dead & Messed Up
07-08-2013, 03:08 AM
You can treat "The Unnatural" as an unlikely-to-be-true fable, but it's not revealed to be one explicitly.

Also, a lot of the episodes are essentially ways to goof with Mulder/Scully shippers.

"Arcadia" has them play-act husband and wife, "The Rain King" pulls a lot of its tension from their presumed relationship, "Triangle" has Mulder kiss dream-Scully, and I think "How the Ghosts" plays with the idea too.

Yxklyx
07-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Season 6 was really excellent. Maybe the best season of the bunch, or at least up there. So far Season 7 is off to a really good start. Hunger is freaky-that opening sequence actually freaked me out a bit.

Yeah I recently finished watching 1-6 again and I thought 6 was great if not the best - except for the Mythology. The downturn of the Mytharc is the main reason I stopped watching when the show originally aired. I might continue with season 7 this year - have only seen a few episodes after season 6.

MadMan
07-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Yeah I recently finished watching 1-6 again and I thought 6 was great if not the best - except for the Mythology. The downturn of the Mytharc is the main reason I stopped watching when the show originally aired. I might continue with season 7 this year - have only seen a few episodes after season 6.See I liked what they did with the mythology in Season 6. Ending the main conspiracy made a great deal of sense. I loved how shocking that all was. And then The Smoking Man kills his own son....damn.

Yxklyx
07-09-2013, 09:27 PM
See I liked what they did with the mythology in Season 6. Ending the main conspiracy made a great deal of sense. I loved how shocking that all was. And then The Smoking Man kills his own son....damn.

I did not like that episode very much because everyone was talking about what was going on instead of things being shown - way too much exposition. It got ridiculous when Krycek starts lecturing the syndicate - hitting each story point one by one. I'm fine with the direction of the story in that season but I couldn't believe in the execution. Everything was rushed in those 1 or 2 episodes. Also, I can't believe Scully's lying on top of an enormous alien spacecraft and then reverting to season 1 episode 1.

megladon8
07-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Jen and I have been watching the series from the beginning.

We're midway through season 3 and starting to get into some of Scully's "I don't believe any of Mulder's alien mumbo jumbo...but he should be more accepting of my religious beliefs!" moments.

Makes for some good dynamic between the two.

Dukefrukem
07-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Season 3 is my favorite season.

megladon8
07-22-2013, 11:25 PM
"Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'" is one of my very favorite episodes.

As is "Pusher".

Some great stuff this season.

Dukefrukem
07-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space IS my favorite episode.