PDA

View Full Version : MC Yearly Consensus - 1920/21/22/23 (The Brimley Era)

Spinal
07-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Submit your five favorite films from these years and in a week I will give you a top ten. IMDb dates will be used.

The point system is as follows

1st Place-5 points
2nd Place-4 points
3rd Place-3.5 points
4th Place-3 points
5th Place-2.5 points

There will be no restrictions on short films. A minimum of three films must be listed. You may edit your post freely up until the time that the thread is locked, which will be in about a week. I will give at least 24 hours warning before tallying votes.

You may begin now.

IMDB Power Search (http://www.imdb.com/list)

Grouchy
07-26-2008, 09:56 PM
1. Nosferatu
2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
3. The Golem: How He Came Into the World

Spinal
07-26-2008, 09:57 PM
1. One Week
2. Nosferatu
3. The Goat
4. Neighbors
5. Our Hospitality

origami_mustache
07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
1. Nanook of the North
3. Our Hospitality
4. Safety Last
5. The Kid

HM:
Nosferatu
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Cops
Haunted Spooks

Raiders
07-26-2008, 10:14 PM
1. The Play House (Keaton)
2. The Goat (Keaton)
3. A Woman of Paris (Chaplin)
4. One Week (Keaton)
5. Frogland (Starewicz)

--------------------------------

6. Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler (Lang)
7. Nosferatu (Murnau)
8. Our Hospitality (Keaton)
9. Safety Last! (Newmeyer & Taylor)
10. Der Golem (Boese & Wagener)

soitgoes...
07-26-2008, 10:22 PM
1. Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer, Sam Taylor)
2. The Idle Class (Charles Chaplin)
3. The Phantom Carriage (Victor Sjöström)
4. Our Hospitality (Buster Keaton, John G. Blystone)
5. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Robert Wiene)
------------------------------------------------
6. Neighbors (Edward F. Cline, Buster Keaton)
7. Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (F.W. Murnau)
8. The Frogs Who Wanted a King (Wladyslaw Starewicz)
9. The Goat (Buster Keaton, Malcolm St. Clair)
10. Now or Never (Fred C. Newmeyer, Hal Roach)

11. Cops (Buster Keaton, Edward F. Cline)
12. Pay Day (Charles Chaplin)
13. The Scarecrow (Edward F. Cline, Buster Keaton)
14. Never Weaken (Fred C. Newmeyer)
15. The Monastery aof Sendomir (Victor Sjöström)
16. The Kid (Charles Chaplin)
17. Dr. Jack (Fred C. Newmeyer)

Russ
07-26-2008, 10:58 PM
1. One Week
3. Häxan
4. The Kid
5. Safety Last!

Philosophe_rouge
07-26-2008, 11:12 PM
1. Foolish Wives
2. Nosferatu
3. The Kid
4. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
5. Haxan:Witchcraft Through the Ages

origami_mustache
07-26-2008, 11:39 PM
3. The Phantom Carriage (Victor Sjöström)

I should watch this ...I've had it for a while now.

Mysterious Dude
07-27-2008, 12:01 AM
1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
2. The Kid
3. Tol'able David
4. Warning Shadows
5. Our Hospitality

6. Nosferatu
7. Der Golem
8. Way Down East
9. Haxan
10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
11. Orphans of the Storm
12. La Roue
13. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Grouchy
07-27-2008, 12:28 AM
I want to see Haxan. Hopefully I'll do it before the thread closes.

MadMan
07-27-2008, 01:18 AM
I feel like we already did this time period. Oh well. And damnit I'm one film too short. Sadly I've still seen too little from the 1920s.

Yxklyx
07-27-2008, 01:40 AM
1. One Week (Edward F. Cline & Buster Keaton)
2. Our Hospitality (John G. Blystone & Buster Keaton)
3. Why Worry? (Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor)
4. The Three Musketeers (Fred Niblo)
5. Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau)

6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Wallace Worsley)
7. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Robert Wiene)
8. The Kid (Charles Chaplin)
9. Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (Fritz Lang)
10. Tess of the Storm Country (John S. Robertson)

Melville
07-27-2008, 02:57 AM
1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
2. The Frogs Who Wanted a King
3. Safety Last!
4. The Kid

monolith94
07-27-2008, 03:20 AM
1. Way Down East
2. Our Hospitality
3. Dr. Jack
4. Safety Last!
5. Lorna Doone

soitgoes...
07-27-2008, 03:55 AM
I should watch this ...I've had it for a while now.
Yes you should. I know with Gance, Lang, Murnau, Griffith etc. out there this might be unpopular, but I think Sjöström is my favorite dramatic director of the silent age. I still have lots to see by all mentioned, so this might change over time.

origami_mustache
07-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Yes you should. I know with Gance, Lang, Murnau, Griffith etc. out there this might be unpopular, but I think Sjöström is my favorite dramatic director of the silent age. I still have lots to see by all mentioned, so this might change over time.

I've only seen He Who Gets Slapped, but it is one of my favorites.

Boner M
07-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Keaton ftw

1. Our Hospitality
2. Neighbors
3. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
4. The High Sign
5. Nosferatu

HM: Cops, One Week

Kurosawa Fan
07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
1. Neighbors
3. Safety Last!
4. Nosferatu
5. Our Hospitality

Duncan
07-28-2008, 02:53 PM
1. The Goat
3. Nosferatu
4. One Week
5. The Kid

monolith94
07-28-2008, 04:02 PM
For your consideration:

Way Down East!

http://twitchfilm.net/site/images/mastheads/waydowneastmq2.jpg

Spinal
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
One more day.

kidc85
08-02-2008, 09:31 PM
01 Orphans of the Storm (DW Griffith)
02 Modeling (Out of the Inkwell) (Fleischer Brothers)
03 The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (R Wiene)
04 Safety Last! (H Lloyd)
05 The Kid (C Chaplin)

HM: William S Burroughs' Haxan Cut-Up recut; Douglas Fairbanks' Robin Hood; Man Ray's Le retour a la raison; all those awesome Buster Keaton two-reelers; and, chances are (though I've barely seen a fifth of them), the 61 other shorts Dave and Max Fleischer managed to produce in these 4 years.

Melville
08-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Addition:

4. The Kid

I can't remember why I left it out.

Spinal
08-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Addition:

4. The Kid

I can't remember why I left it out.

Just edit it into your original post.

Melville
08-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Just edit it into your original post.
Done.

Derek
08-03-2008, 01:47 AM
One more day.

Just to clarify before I post, is this 1920 & 23 or 1920 through 1923?

Spinal
08-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Just to clarify before I post, is this 1920 & 23 or 1920 through 1923?

1920 through 1923. Come on, Brimley!

dreamdead
08-03-2008, 02:03 AM
1. Nosferatu
3. Way Down East
4. The Goat
5. Orphans of the Storm

Derek
08-03-2008, 02:05 AM
1920 through 1923. Come on, Brimley!

I've never known / to mean "through" and all these dates and numbers are confusing to me. I have enough trouble keeping my diabeetus meds in order and Liberty makes it easy.

Derek
08-03-2008, 02:09 AM
1. Our Hospitality (John Blystone & Buster Keaton)
2. The Goat (Buster Keaton & Malcolm St. Clair)
3. Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor)
4. Cops (Edward F. Cline & Buster Keaton)
5. Nanook of the North (Robert Flaherty)
6. The Play House (Buster Keaton)
7. Convict 13 (Edward F. Cline & Buster Keaton)
8. Neighbors (Edward F. Cline & Buster Keaton)
9. The Parson's Widow (Carl Theodor Dreyer)
10. Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau)

HMs: The Electric House (Edward F. Cline & Buster Keaton)
The Scarecrow (Buster Keaton)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Robert Weine)
Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (Fritz Lang)
The Blacksmith (Buster Keaton & Malcolm St. Clair)
The Kid (Charles Chaplin)

Melville
08-03-2008, 02:09 AM
I have enough trouble keeping my diabeetus meds in order and Liberty makes it easy.
:lol:

I've never known / to mean "through"
Yeah, it should totally be an en-dash.

Derek
08-03-2008, 02:11 AM
MC Yearly Consensus - 1920/21/22/23 (The Brimley Era)

:pritch:

Stay Puft
08-03-2008, 02:18 AM
1. Nosferatu
3. Neighbors
4. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
5. One Week

Spinal
08-04-2008, 05:47 PM
This will be a Top 8.

Spinal
08-04-2008, 06:00 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/Keaton_Neighbors_1920.jpg

Neighbors

Director: Edward Cline and Buster Keaton

A Romeo and Juliet story played out in a tenement neighborhood with Buster and Virginia's families hating each other over the fence separating their buildings.

Joe Roberts, who plays the father, also appears in the three other films Keaton made in 1920: The Scarecrow, Convict 13 and One Week.

Watch it here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovl7CCJ0Zpo)

"Neighbors is the perfect silent film comedy short ... It has a rapid fire pace and some great physical comedy." - Eric Nash

Spinal
08-04-2008, 06:12 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/thegoat.jpg

The Goat

Director: Buster Keaton and Malcolm St. Clair

Buster is inadvertently identified as the notorious outlaw Dead Shot Dan. Pursued throughout the city, he encounters a young lady friend, and goes to her home to visit and hide out, only to discover that her father is the police chief.

Malcolm St. Clair would go on to be a frequent collaborator with comedy legends, Laurel and Hardy.

Watch it here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cw5vl7zqx0&feature=related)

"Madcap chases and hilarious displays of physical agility are the highlights of this frenetic Buster Keaton short ... Nonstop laughter. " - At-a-Glance Film Reviews

Spinal
08-04-2008, 06:23 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/bfi-00n-kcn.jpg

The Kid

Director: Charles Chaplin

A woman intending to commit suicide deposits her baby with a pleading note in a limousine. The limo is stolen by thieves who dump the baby by a garbage can. The Tramp finds the baby and makes a home for him. Five years later, the woman has become an opera star, but does charity work for slum youngsters in hope of finding her boy.

For the scene in which the Kid is taken from the Tramp and nearly carted away to a workhouse, Chaplin stated in his autobiography that the young Jackie Coogan was made to cry by his father, who told him that if he would not cry in the scene, he would be sent to an actual workhouse. The main theme from Charles Chaplin's score is based on a theme from Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony.

Watch it here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Fwruk78yU&feature=related)

"Charlie and his brother Sydney were assigned to an orphanage, and Chaplin clearly was emotionally scarred by the experience ... So, in a very real sense, The Kid stands as a landmark for Chaplin. Not only is this his most personal film, but it marked a turning point in his career." - John Nesbit

Spinal
08-04-2008, 06:30 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/bkgirl.jpg

One Week

Director: Edward Cline and Buster Keaton

Buster and Sybil exit a chapel as newlyweds. Among the gifts is a portable house you easily put together in one week. It doesn't help that Buster's rival for Sybil switches the numbers on the crates containing the house parts.

This was Buster Keaton's first film appearance without Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle. The High Sign had been filmed prior to One Week, but Keaton considered it an inferior effort to debut with, and released it the following year.

Watch it here. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=31473583945373 66471)

"Decades before Jackie Chan, Buster Keaton was famous for his often perilous physical comedy and dangerous stunts. This short film is the one that contains the infamous wall-falling scene, where Buster is saved from certain doom by a well-placed window. There are no stunt doubles, camera tricks, or fancy prop gadgets -- the gag happened just as it appears, and had Keaton been standing a few inches the wrong way, the results might have been fatal. Now that's a dedicated comedian." - At-a-Glance Film Reviews

Spinal
08-04-2008, 06:40 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/08ae99d180615f999e47eaa57bf914 27llo.jpg

Safety Last!

Director: Fred C. Newmeyer and Sam Taylor

While working as a clerk in a department store, a country boy talks the manager into offering $1000 to anyone who can bring more customers to the store. He then arranges for a friend, a 'human fly', to climb the face of the store building as a publicity stunt. Unfortunatly the 'human fly' is a wanted man, so the country boy must make the climb himself.

During the famous clock tower stunt, Harold Lloyd is not as far from the ground as he appears. The building on which he climbs was actually a fake wall constructed on the roof of an actual skyscraper and skillfully photographed to maintain the illusion. Lloyd got the idea for the film when he saw Bill Strother climbing the Brockman Building in Los Angeles as a stunt one day. Lloyd - who had a difficult time watching anyone else perform a dangerous stunt because he had no control over that situation - hid behind a corner, peeking to check on Strother's progress every few moments. After Strother reached the roof, Lloyd went up and introduced himself.

"I don't love the Glasses character with the intensity I reserve for Buster and the Little Tramp. But I was there with him every inch of the way up that building, and I shared the physical joy of his triumph at the top. I could understand why Lloyd outgrossed Chaplin and Keaton in the 1920s: Not because he was funnier or more poignant, but because he was merely mortal and their characters were from another plane of existence. Lloyd is a real man climbing a building; Keaton, as he stands just exactly where a building will not crush him, is an instrument of cosmic fate. And Chaplin is a visitor to our universe from the one that exists in his mind." - Roger Ebert

Spinal
08-04-2008, 06:51 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/bk-ourhosp.jpg

Our Hospitality

Director: John G. Blystone and Buster Keaton

A man returns to his Appalachian homestead. On the trip, he falls for a young woman. The only problem is her family has vowed to kill every member of his family.

The climactic waterfall rescue scenes were filmed on a set built over the swimming pool on the Keaton lot. Production stills kept secret until decades after the film was released show the entire set, including the miniature valley constructed below the pool for the long overlooking shots. Joe Roberts made his last appearance in this film. Big Joe suffered a stroke during the filming, and was hospitalized. He insisted on returning to work, however, and died very shortly after the end of filming.

"The picture is splendidly cast, flawlessly directed and intelligently photographed. The usual low comedy and slapstick have been modified and woven into a consistent story that is as funny as it is entertaining." - Variety (1923)

Spinal
08-04-2008, 06:59 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/2007_10_25_nosferatu.jpg

Nosferatu

Director: F.W. Murnau

Vampire Count Orlok expresses interest in a new residence and real estate agent Hutter's wife. She may be the only one with the power to end the evil.

The film is essentially an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula, with the names changed because the rights to the novel could not be acquired. The movie was banned in Sweden due to excessive horror. The ban was finally lifted in 1972.

"Watching Nosferatu is like standing in the same room as death itself, a brooding chamber piece of gothic ruminations and occult imagery, of the flickering light of the world waging a losing battle against the overwhelming darkness." - Rob Humanick

Spinal
08-04-2008, 07:09 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/caligari.jpg

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Director: Robert Wiene

Dr. Caligari exhibits a somnambulist, Cesare, that can predict the future. When a man asks how long he has to live, Cesare says he has until dawn. The prophecy comes to pass, as the man is murdered, and Cesare becomes a prime suspect.

Weeks before the initial release of the film, posters with the tag-line "Du mußt Caligari werden!" ("You have to become Caligari!") where put up in Berlin without the slightest hint that they where promotion for the upcoming movie. The sets were made out of paper, with the shadows painted on the walls.

"The influence of Robert Wiene’s Caligari is so great that it threatens to obscure the work itself. Debatably the first true horror film ... the film is, among other things, a foundation for German expressionism, as well as one of the first sources for many of the conventions and styles eventually adopted into film noir ... As other critics have noted, however, Caligari has unfortunately fallen from its once lofty heights as a cinematic classic. Chalk this up to trends in the community, for Caligari is as important and effective as ever." - Rob Humanick

Spinal
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (50.5)
2. Nosferatu (34.5)
3. Our Hospitality (32)
4. Safety Last! (27)
5. One Week (23.5)
6. The Kid (21)
7. The Goat (19.5)
8. Neighbors (15.5)

From there it dropped down sharply to:
Way Down East (8.5)
Orphans of the Storm (7.5)
Nanook of the North (7.5)

Raiders
08-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Overrated.

Spinal
08-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Overrated.

Yeah, the sets are fun and all, but I think Nosferatu is by far the more engaging, well-crafted film.

soitgoes...
08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Interesting. Slapstick topped off with Expressionism.

Bosco B Thug
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah, the sets are fun and all, but I think Nosferatu is by far the more engaging, well-crafted film.
Hmm, yeah, can't say I was too impressed with 'Dr. Caligari' either.

MadMan
08-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah I tried to watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari about a year ago, and I failed to get through more than half of the film. Aside from the awesome set pieces I just wasn't buying into the atmosphere of the film. Nosferatu on the other hand creepied me out on multiple levels. Plus that shot of him walking up the staircase is ultra freaky awesome.

Oh and this thread's new title=:lol:

origami_mustache
08-05-2008, 05:07 AM
Nanook of the North (7.5)

this definitely needed to be on there

monolith94
08-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Overrated.
More overexposed than overrated, although that too.

soitgoes...
08-05-2008, 08:16 AM
As for Nosferatu, I think it's great, but I feel it falls victim (sort of) of being surpassed by it's own remake. Still I can't complain about it being #2, if only to breakup the Keaton-Chaplin-Lloyd love fest. Not that that is a bad thing either, but I wouldn't want to see an entire Top 10, or 8, comprised of only those kind of films.

I still would like all with the capability to, to please check out The Phantom Carriage.

Grouchy
08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Overrated.
Not in the least.

MadMan
08-06-2008, 04:34 AM
As for Nosferatu, I think it's great, but I feel it falls victim (sort of) of being surpassed by it's own remake. Still I can't complain about it being #2, if only to breakup the Keaton-Chaplin-Lloyd love fest. Not that that is a bad thing either, but I wouldn't want to see an entire Top 10, or 8, comprised of only those kind of films.

I still would like all with the capability to, to please check out The Phantom Carriage.I think that the original is only slightly better. Both are utterly fantastic though, and I loved Herzog's take on the old tale as much as F.W.'s.