PDA

View Full Version : Robocop

Saya
07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
We knew it was coming and it's been confirmed today:

It’s Official: Darren Aronofsky Bringing ROBOCOP Back To The Big Screen (http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/its-official-darren-aronofsky-bringing-robocop-back-to-the-big-screen/)

There have been rumblings about this for a while and our thanks to our man at the San Diego Comic Con, Joseph Perez, for bringing word that it is now official: Darren Aronofsky will be bringing Robocop back to the big screen in 2010. Road To Perdition screenwriter David Self will write the script. Hopefully this one will wash the bad taste left by the original Robocop sequels - not to mention the bad Canadian TV series - away. The complete announcement is below the break.

I'm not sure if it's a remake or a sequel, but it's Aranofsky so that makes it a little bit more interesting.

Morris Schæffer
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Funny how I didn't care about this, but this is an interesting director. And we all know what interesting directors can do when they're chosen to helm a summer movie.

megladon8
07-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I posted the poster for it a couple of months ago in GD.

Aronofsky to direct? Wow, that's unexpected...

Scar
07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
*le sigh*

Saya
07-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Oh yeah, apparently it's set in Los Angeles instead of Detroit and it takes place 20 years after the termination of the RoboCop program.

Grouchy
07-26-2008, 07:21 PM
If it's not a remake, I'm happy.

megladon8
07-30-2008, 02:43 PM
R-rated. (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/29/robocop-reboot-to-be-rated-r-producer-promises/)

Awesome.

D_Davis
07-30-2008, 03:35 PM
One thing Aronofksy is going to need before making this movie is a sense of humor. His films are so deathly serious, and the main reason why the original Robocop is so great is its scathing satire and its dark sense of humor. That's why Verhoven was the perfect director for the original - the dude has a wicked sense of humor and he knows satire. I think Aronofksy is more suited for something like Batman. I would have loved to see what he would have done with Year One. That was a cool rumor.

Sven
07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
One thing Aronofksy is going to need before making this movie is a sense of humor. His films are so deathly serious, and the main reason why the original Robocop is so great is its scathing satire and its dark sense of humor. That's why Verhoven was the perfect director for the original - the dude has a wicked sense of humor and he knows satire. I think Aronofksy is more suited for something like Batman. I would have loved to see what he would have done with Year One. That was a cool rumor.

Good call.

Also, I'm very much hoping to see Weller's participation, in any capacity. That guy is Robocop.

megladon8
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM

Yeah it was a cool rumor, but did you ever actually read any of the script that Aronofsky was going to adapt?

Man, that thing was almost as bad as the J. J. Abrams Superman script.

Grouchy
07-31-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah it was a cool rumor, but did you ever actually read any of the script that Aronofsky was going to adapt?

Man, that thing was almost as bad as the J. J. Abrams Superman script.
I suspect that script was intended as a joke and that they just lost interest. No fucking way Frank Miller or Aranofsky seriously thought Warner was gonna back them up with that shit.

Saya
09-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Interview with Aranofsky: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/12/interview-darren-aronofsky-part-3/

Interview: Darren Aronofsky - Part 3

Darren Aronofsky is the director of Pi, Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain. His latest film won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, and was bought by Fox Searchlight the morning after it premiered at the Toronto Film Festival (You can read my review here). Earlier this week, I was granted the chance to sit down with Aronofsky for a half hour interview. You can read the first part and the second part of the interview at the provided links. Enjoy.

Peter Sciretta: Speaking of boxing. What’s going on with The Fighter?

Darren Aronofsky: We have a beautiful screenplay. It’s based on, you probably know, Mickey Ward. It’s a great great project. As I told you I love sports movies. Rudy and Chariots of Fire are some of my favorite films. Fighter is a great script. Scott Silver wrote it. He’s the guy who wrote Eight Mile. So we have a great script, we’re just trying to cast it and try and figure out how it’s going to get made.

Peter Sciretta: So right now is it kind of on the back burner? Last I heard that Mark Wahlberg was training?

Darren Aronofsky: Mark is training. Mark’s totally gung-ho, he just sent me text that he wants to see [the Wrestler] this week. So I guess I’ll set up a screening for him in L.A. He’s totally gung-ho and I think it’s a great project. It’s been in development so long there’s a lot of money against it already. They’re trying to figure that out but I’m ready to go on it.

Peter Sciretta: And when I first saw the rumors Robocop I was like “No way! This can’t be rea!?”

Darren Aronofsky: Well, what I like about Robocop is that it’s Hollywood is making big films right now and I’ve always had an interest in that. You know about my flirtations with some of those other projects, but which at some point we’ll set the record straight on a lot of it because there’s a lot of bullshit out there about all this stuff… But what the thing I like about Robocop is that it’s not as iconic as those other titles, and I think that fans of it will be open to reinterpretation. And yet a studio will probably back it because it’s got that tent pole feeling to it. I think it could be a lot of fun if we can get the script right. I’ve always had an interest in doing big movies, and not just doing independent films. And that’s why I’ve tried to get them going a lot. The whole thing with The Dark Knight was that through that whole process I was always trying to make The Fountain and because I was on the Fountain for six years, they moved on. But that was my main goal and when they offered the project to me I thought it was probably the smartest thing to do since this was before Requiem for a Dream had any fan base. I figured they’re never going to hire me to do something with the Fountain. I had to get them to perceive me as being a bigger director, so that’s why I agreed to write it.

Peter Sciretta: So Batman: Year One was almost like a stepping stone?

Darren Aronofsky: It was, the whole step. The whole game for me was to make The Fountain. And for the last 6 or 7 years that’s all I wanted to do. The Batman job was just a way of getting to see it. Watchmen… I was on Watchman for a week. I was literally on it for a week. David Heyder wrote a fuckingin amazing script. I mean, he really caught it. Zack Snyder’s Trailer looks fucking great. I can not wait, couldn’t believe it. But literally I was on for a week. They said were you interested? I said yeah. We set it up at Paramount in a meeting. And then they said, let’s hire a production designer and this was literally when Hugh Jackman had just come on and the Fountain thing was going. So I was like, “Guys, I’m about to shoot The Fountain. You know, we can hire a designer but I’m going to be shooting this movie while that’s happening.” Then they quickl put Paul Greengrass on it. So I had very little to do with the project. I wish they would remove my name from both of those projects because I never really got involved.

Peter Sciretta: Back to Robocop, is it going to be a sequel or is it a remake.

Darren Aronofsky: It’s absolutely unrelated to the original. As Mike Medavoy already went on the record. David Self and my team have been working really hard on it. It’s a completely new universe.

Peter Sciretta: Is it going to be set in the future, or is it going to be today?

Darren Aronofsky: It’s going to be the future. And it’s really great. We’ve got to nail the script then we’ve got to find a script that the studio wants to make. So we’ve got work to do…

Peter Sciretta: So tell me this, with The Fountain you did so many practical special effects, like that whole climax sequence… with Robocop would you be…

Darren Aronofsky: I have no idea. I have no idea. It’s so early, but I think cyborgs are really interesting, because… I think it’s so funny. I got an MRI. Here’s a funny story. The last day of shooting, Mickey made me jump off the top rope. He made the whole crew jump off the top rope. I went first, and it was the last day of shooting, after a grueling shoot. It was late at night, and I was wearing boots. I wasn’t even wearing sneakers and I jumped. I got over the top rope and my tip of my toe caught the top rope and I went bam! I landed on my fuckin’ head and on my neck. My neck was killing me for five weeks, so I went to get MRI. I’m fine, but to take an MRI, you can’t have any metal on your body because it’s basically a giant magnet. So there’s a check list of probably 30 things that you could have. Like an eyelid shutter, pacemakers, re-implants. I couldn’t believe the different types of things that people have in their bodies. And I realized you know what? We are in a cyborg culture, we are part cyborg already. It’s only a matter of time till we have the cell phones in our head and the mp3 players in our ears…

Peter Sciretta: And it’s all going to get more nano too.

Darren Aronofsky: Yeah, so there are a lot of interesting themes out there that connect even more than when Verhoeven did it. A nd I have full 100 percent respect for that, but I kind of don’t even want to go near that territory, except for the “bitches, leave!” line. [laughs] Otherwise I think that’s the only shout out to the movie we’ll have.

Peter Sciretta: That’s awesome. The only other thing I wanted to ask you about is when you were in San Francisco with The Fountain, you told me about your next project, which was going to be a religious film…

Darren Aronofsky: That was Noah.

Peter Sciretta: Yes, Noah, what’s happening with that?

Darren Aronofsky: We have an amazing screenplay.

Peter Sciretta: Who wrote it??

Darren Aronofsky: I wrote it. Me and Ari Handel, the guy who worked on the Fountain. It’s a great script and it’s HUGE. And we’re starting to feel out talent. And then we’ll probably try and set it up…

Peter Sciretta: So this isn’t something you can make for six million dollars?

Darren Aronofsky: No, this is big. I mean, Look… It’s the end of the world and it’s the second most famous ship after the Titanic. So I’m not sure why any studio won’t want to make it.

Peter Sciretta: [laughs]

Darren Aronofsky: [laughs]

Peter Sciretta: You would hope so.?

Darren Aronofsky: Yeah, I would hope so. It’s a really cool project and I think it’s really timely because it’s about environmental apocalypse which is the biggest theme, for me, right now for what’s going on on this planet. So I think it’s got these big, big themes that connect with us. Noah was the first environmentalist. He’s a really interesting character. Hopefully they’ll let me make it. Oh that’s right I forgot I told you that whole religious thing.

[At this point a publicist came in to drag Darren away]

Darren Aronofsky: I had forgotten about San Francisco but now I totally remember. All right, man, it’s been really good to see you. Thank you so much.

http://i34.tinypic.com/vnysgi.jpg

Morris Schæffer
09-12-2008, 08:03 PM
I shouldn't be so okay with a new Robocop - the original owns and isn't that old either - but I am. Looking forward to it.

Dukefrukem
07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
:(

Darren Aronofsky's 'RoboCop' cancelled (http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a250984/darren-aronofskys-robocop-cancelled.html)

baby doll
07-27-2010, 06:35 PM
And we all know what interesting directors can do when they're chosen to helm a summer movie.Yeah, not a whole lot.

Acapelli
07-27-2010, 07:11 PM
the new comic which takes place after the first movie is pretty well done

Ezee E
07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
:(

Darren Aronofsky's 'RoboCop' cancelled (http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a250984/darren-aronofskys-robocop-cancelled.html)
Aronofsky must've pissed some bigwig producer off before The Fountain.

baby doll
07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Aronofsky must've pissed some bigwig producer off before The Fountain.Or... antisemitism?

Ezee E
07-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Or... antisemitism?
?

Either way, it's a bummer that he gets these big projects lined up, only to have them all fall through as he gets close to production. Then he gets to do something small, and it starts all over again.

Morris Schæffer
02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48521

Detroit is getting a Robocop statue. I'm sorry, but that's the coolest thing I've heard all week.

Dukefrukem
02-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Coolest and the only thing that's cool in Detroit...

Spun Lepton
02-16-2011, 09:23 PM
I must admit ... I'm extremely curious to see what Aronofsky would do with Robocop.

MadMan
02-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I must admit ... I'm extremely curious to see what Aronofsky would do with Robocop.Same here. And I realize that I don't really recall the original all that well, aside from some notable scenes. Time for a second viewing.

bac0n
02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48521

Detroit is getting a Robocop statue. I'm sorry, but that's the coolest thing I've heard all week.

Lets hope the inscription says "Your move, creep" or "Dead or alive, you're coming with me".

KK2.0
02-17-2011, 12:04 AM

Well, project is dead but judging by those old articles it would be Aronofsky's Robocop. I love Verhoeven's original to death, but I was also curious to see what he would do with the material, Murphy is a tragic character and he seems to work well with this kind of story.

He ended up making The Fountain even after the Brad Pitt debacle, maybe one day he works around this one too, who know?

Dukefrukem
02-19-2011, 09:02 PM
This is back on track too.. along with the Poltergeist remake (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118032494)

KK2.0
03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Hmmm, MGM wants José Padilha (Bus 174, Elite Squad) to direct Robocop now.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/mgm-eyes-jose-padilha-for-robocop-reboot/

Dukefrukem
07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
rumor: Chris Pine as Robocop?

Lasse
09-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Interview (http://www.latinoreview.com/news/jos-padilha-on-how-his-robocop-differs-from-the-original-14824) with the director on how the film will differ from the original.

Morris Schæffer
09-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Padilha wants Fassbender!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32078

Dukefrukem
02-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Rumor: Russell Crowe as Robocop?

Ezee E
02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Rumor: Russell Crowe as Robocop?
Crowe is also rumoured to be Noah in Aronofsky's Noah's Ark movie...

I thought Crowe just disappeared.

Spun Lepton
02-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Blech.

Sven
02-02-2012, 03:39 PM
I can easily imagine him delivering the line "Bitches, leave."

Dukefrukem
02-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I liked Crowe's role in Virtuosity. It could work.

Morris Schæffer
02-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Lead role offered to The Killing's Joel Kinnaman.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33235

amberlita
02-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Lead role offered to The Killing's Joel Kinnaman.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33235

Sweet. I'm not thrilled about this remake, and I'm very pissed off at The Killing, but Joel Kinneman was one of the few things I did like about that show.

Lucky
02-26-2012, 05:24 AM
Sweet. I'm not thrilled about this remake, and I'm very pissed off at The Killing, but Joel Kinneman was one of the few things I did like about that show.

Huh, you don't say. I always got this impression he was trying to emulate Aaron Paul's style of acting but falling short. Call me crazy.

[ETM]
02-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Other than the whole "scruffy sidekick" thing, I see no connection between Kinnaman's and Paul's style at all.

number8
03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Hmmm...

The actor then explained the reboot's relationship to beloved original directed by Paul Verhoeven. " 'RoboCop' is going to be a lot more human," Kinnaman said. "The first movie is one of my favorite movies. I love it. Of course, Verhoeven has that very special tone, and it’s not going to have that tone. It’s a re-imagination of it. There’s a lot of stuff from the original. There are some details and throwbacks, but this version is a much better acting piece, for Alex Murphy and especially when he is RoboCop. It's much more challenging."

Kinnaman went on to say that because the character will have more human characteristics, we'll see more of his actual face. "It's not going to be jaw action. They’re still working on the suit and how it’s going to look, but the visor is going to be see-through," he said. "You’re going to see his eyes."

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2012/03/26/robocop-joel-kinnaman/

Irish
03-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Kinnaman went on to say that because the character will have more human characteristics, we'll see more of his actual face. "It's not going to be jaw action. They’re still working on the suit and how it’s going to look, but the visor is going to be see-through," he said. "You’re going to see his eyes."

Huh, gee, imagine that. (http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=301912&postcount=17)

amberlita
03-29-2012, 06:59 AM
;403861']Other than the whole "scruffy sidekick" thing, I see no connection between Kinnaman's and Paul's style at all.

It's probably more the dialogue than anything; Holder talked like a street punk a lot of the time. Otherwise, I didn't see an acting connection, though in truth I would never fault anyone for trying to emulate Aaron Paul's acting style. There are worse crimes.

Maybe it was the Funyuns, Lucky. You subconsciously made the Jesse connection to the Funyuns. :)

Morris Schæffer
05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Oh yes! Gary Oldman joins the cast!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55959

Dukefrukem
05-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Oh yes! Gary Oldman joins the cast!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55959

Awesome.

number8
06-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Sam Jackson is now in this.

EvilShoe
06-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm sure he'll do an excellent job phoning it in. Never change, Mr. Jackson.

Just stop being in movies I might check out one day.

Morris Schæffer
06-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Hugh goddamn Laurie in talks for villain role!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56372

This sounds like something I'd like to see.

Edit: also just read that belgian actor Matthias Schoenaerts (bullhead, rust and bone) was offered the lead, but declined.

EvilShoe
06-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Hugh goddamn Laurie in talks for villain role!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56372

This sounds like something I'd like to see.

Edit: also just read that belgian actor Matthias Schoenaerts (bullhead, rust and bone) was offered the lead, but declined.
Still haven't seen Bullhead, but so far I'd say his best work was in Linkeroever. That movie's underrated. Wish the director would make new stuff, but looks like he's not getting any funding anymore.

Probably for the best he didn't take this role; big risk of typecasting.

Anyway, none of this casting has wowed me so far. Haven't seen Kinnaman in anything, Jackson and Oldman phone it in all the time, and I like my Laurie funny. He seems like an adequate fit for the movie, but I'd like to see at least one casting choice that's out of the box. Pretty much just waiting to see Andy Serkis announced as mocap Ed-209 at this point.

Dukefrukem
06-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Sam Jackson is now in this.

:lol:

Morris Schæffer
06-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Still haven't seen Bullhead, but so far I'd say his best work was in Linkeroever. That movie's underrated. Wish the director would make new stuff, but looks like he's not getting any.

I got that lying around, but haven't seen it yet. Same with Pulsar.

Kiusagi
06-14-2012, 08:08 AM
I'd love to see Laurie take part in this. My major concern about this is that I hear it's got a $100 million+ budget, which usually means PG-13. I defend a lot of PG-13 ratings, but it just wouldn't be RoboCop without the brutality.

So in 20 years will we have remade all of Verhoeven's films?

Dukefrukem
06-14-2012, 03:49 PM
So in 20 years will we have remade all of Verhoeven's films?

Still need to remake Showgirls.

Chac Mool
06-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Jackson and Oldman phone it in all the time...

Jackson I can understand, but Oldman?

Come on.

Irish
06-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Jackson I can understand, but Oldman?

Come on.

Oldman is one of those guys that requires a firm leash. You let him go, he will chew up everything in sight -- sets, costumes, other actors, the audience, whatever he can.

When other actors phone it in, they either withdraw into themselves (like Brando) or they fall back to an established persona (like Jackson or Downey Jr).

When Oldman phones it, he goes completly the other way, into chaos. He's an actor that needs hard limits, and without them he just gets messy.

He's kinda like Pacino, where I imagine a secret cabal of actors vote him "Most Likely to Become a Caricature of Himself" every year, without fail.

EvilShoe
06-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks for that, Irish. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I should clarify that I think Oldman is terrific when he's actually invested in a role. He stated in interviews that these days he often takes on roles that don't require him to spend a lot of time apart from his kids. So sometimes you get a "The Unborn", or "Red Riding Hood".

He's adequate in these kind of roles, but you can tell he's just going through the motions.

I have to say he turned out to be a lot better than I expected in the Batman movies. It's just that I don't see him as the kind of actor who's going to invest too much energy in a movie like Robocop.

Sxottlan
06-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Happened upon Robocop 3 while channel surfing last night. Never seen it before. Watched the last half hour and man oh man, what an abomination this was. It seriously looked like a TV movie at times. And just so many errors everywhere you looked and below sub-par effects. Why did they even try?

EvilShoe
07-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Viral marketing has started:
http://www.omnicorp.com/
http://www.omnicorp.com/images/slides/ed-209.jpg

I don't think this movie's for me. Nostalghia has corrupted me.

Dukefrukem
07-09-2012, 02:54 PM
http://blastr.com/assets_c/2012/07/ed209crop-thumb-550x449-95474.jpg

Watashi
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
You're slipping, duke.

Dukefrukem
07-09-2012, 10:27 PM
You're slipping, duke.

Yeh, It was blocked by work. Just noticed it when I got home.

KK2.0
07-11-2012, 06:22 PM
the original ED still looks super cool, the new one looks like it went through the 'transformers' treatment, too busy.

http://www.robocoparchive.com/info/ed209-23.jpg

My big question is, will Padilha have at least some creative control over this? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Morris Schæffer
07-11-2012, 06:55 PM
But to be fair, you see this with cars too. Compare cars of the 70's and 80's with equivalent contemporary models, and they definitely appear slicker, shinier, sharper, busier today. Not quite Hollywood busy, and certainly not Michael Bay busy, but in a way, that's technological progress for ya.:)

But yeah, I still like the old ED-209. It looks cuddly, even cried like a freakin' baby when it fell down the stairs. :lol:

EvilShoe
07-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Jackie Earle Healy might join the cast. That would be a good thing.

See, I can be positive about this.

Jay Baruchel is also rumoured to join the cast. Eeeeeeeh.

transmogrifier
07-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Jackie Earle Healy might join the cast. That would be a good thing.

See, I can be positive about this.

Jay Baruchel is also rumoured to join the cast. Eeeeeeeh.

Classic case of "good news, punch yourself in the face news"

Morris Schæffer
08-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Michael K. Williams has joined the cast as a partner to Kinnaman's Murphy who is close to his family.

number8
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Hahaha, Drew McWeeny had a breakdown on Twitter last night while reading the newest draft of the script, the one they're going to shoot with.

Preserved for science:

I tried to read the "Robocop" remake, but 20 pages in my nose started bleeding and I forgot my name. #nobueno #reallynobueno

I will try this again once my blood pressure's gone down. But, seriously, folks, "Robocop" was already perfect.

I'll share this one detail. In the film, when Murphy is turned into Robocop 1.0, it's described "a high-tech version of the '80s suit."

Then they show a focus group scene where criminals laugh at the design. "He looks like a toy from the '80s!"

So they redesign him to look "meaner" as Robocop 2.0, who passes focus group approval.

So they not only make sure to include the original design, they also point out it's dated and stupid. *facepalm*

Hold onto your sides for more hilarious "Robocop" details. They outsource his construction to China. #seriously

And we meet the ED-209s in the field in Iran, where they're used to subdue suicide bombers. #ineedallthedrinksnow

Short version: this script makes my stomach hurt very, very badly.

Ahhh... now they just dropped Robocop 3.0 onto an Al Queda training camp to see what he does.

"He should be programmed to incapacitate in all scenarios." "Agreed. Let's keep him PG-13, Dr. Norton." No. No. No. No.

By page 54, they are already onto Robocop 4.0, who looks like a "cop on steroids painted metallic blue."

Oh, god... oh dear god... Robocop is a Transformer. He goes from "social mode" to "combat mode" and back. Full transformation.

I'm going to go stand in my backyard and scream at the moon for a while. My brain needs a shower.

Write it down. Page 55, the "Robocop" remake beat me. I'm done. I can't hurt more than this.

Okay... the two "best" lines in the script. First up is at the unveiling ceremony for Robocop in Detroit, from a TV reporter covering it.

"I think it's safe to say that Alex Murphy is now part man, part machine, ALL COP!" Yes, I too remember the original poster, asshat.

Second, after the traumatic first meeting with his father, Alex's son retreats to the apartment of Lewis, Murphy's male partner.

The scene ends with the action line "David sits, catatonic, looks at the TV -- MGM REMAKE TBD."

I feel like one of those little potato people staring directly into The Dark Crystal. And, yet, pages keep turning...

Good god... it just keeps topping itself. It's like someone wrote a script scientifically fine-tuned to destroy me.

Someone shows Pope, head of the OCP project, some mock-ups for Robocop action figures. "Are you kidding? I wouldn't buy that for a dollar!"

Yeah, that just happened. NOT SO FUNNY NOW, IS IT?!

When this thing hits theaters, people are going to call up Len Wiseman's "Total Recall" on the phone and apologize for being so mean.

"I'm sorry, 'Total Recall.' I had no idea how bad things could get. You're starting to look like a masterpiece right about now."

I'll say this: once the script stops all the winky-winky crap and just starts telling a story, it's not terrible. But it's way too late.

If you can get past Robocop The Transformer, there are some interesting action beats. And I'm sure Padilla will direct the hell out of it.

But overall? Ouch. Ouch. Ohpleasedon't. Ouch. And a big side order of ouch.

Sven
08-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Script reviews are useless. I'm pretty sure the only reason people do them is as a way to brag about having an inside in the industry.

Dead & Messed Up
08-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Script reviews are useless. I'm pretty sure the only reason people do them is as a way to brag about having an inside in the industry.

McWeeny's of the Aint It Cool News school, so...yes.

But there was a somewhat famous Cracked article (http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-actual-live-action-akira-script-worse-than-you-think/) that detailed the script for the remake of Akira, insofar as its absolutely scathing assault is credited with helping to halt production.

Grouchy
08-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Well, I'll never watch this movie to begin with, but that confirms my worst fears.

Morris Schæffer
08-12-2012, 06:55 PM
McWiener seems to attack the reboot for not being Robocop 1987 but rather something different. I find that a little odd.

Watashi
08-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Really, Morris?

Spinal
08-12-2012, 08:40 PM
It amazes me that people continue to regard even the most transparent money grabs as if they were legitimate attempts at making art.

Morris Schæffer
08-13-2012, 08:18 AM
It amazes me that people continue to regard even the most transparent money grabs as if they were legitimate attempts at making art.

I can believe that at least some parties are determined to deliver a good product. The studio may have started this endeavor with money on their minds, but Director Padilha seems like an interesting choice. The reboot craze isn't something I applaud, but I strongly doubt The Brazilian helmer is sitting on a throne in his lair rubbing his hands together with maniacal glee while giving him and his cronies high fives because of how succesfully they're about to Inflict creative bankruptcy upon the world. Plus, with an untested star as the protagonist, this might not even be such a moneymaker if there isn't at least some quality to go along with it.

However, I'm altering my previous post a bit as the film's attempt at humour, by way of nods to the original, seems a bit cringeworthy.

Grouchy
08-13-2012, 05:13 PM
It's basically like Terminator 3 which was just a series of nods and winks at how memorable Terminator 2 is. Hollywood's self-referential bullshit at its worst.

number8
08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I already lost interest when they said you're going to see the eyes through Robocop's visor.

Morris Schæffer
08-13-2012, 08:36 PM
I already lost interest when they said you're going to see the eyes through Robocop's visor.

You're entitled to do that, but it's kinda short-sighted to knock a movie for that. Incidentally, the original poster showed eyes already:

http://www.traileraddict.com/content/orion-pictures/robocop.jpg

:)

Spun Lepton
08-13-2012, 08:40 PM
If RoboCop transforms and/or goes anywhere near the middle-east, I'm out. I'm done. Period.

number8
08-13-2012, 08:51 PM
You're entitled to do that, but it's kinda short-sighted to knock a movie for that. Incidentally, the original poster showed eyes already:

I don't know what eyes you're referring to, but Kinnaman said his face won't be hidden so it won't just be his jaw we're looking at.

Skitch
08-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Hmm...I'll wait for a trailer to see if any of this nonsense is actually apparent.

*crosses fingers*

DavidSeven
08-14-2012, 03:08 AM
The scene ends with the action line "David sits, catatonic, looks at the TV -- MGM REMAKE TBD."

Can't tell if the reviewer is making a joke here or if this is depressingly real.

number8
08-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Can't tell if the reviewer is making a joke here or if this is depressingly real.

He clarified later that it's not a joke. That's verbatim what's written in the script.

Grouchy
08-14-2012, 07:23 PM
I didn't get that part. What's "MGM REMAKE TDB"?

There are no eyes in the original poster. I looked for a larger version to make sure.

I can't believe someone is defending the existence of this.

Dukefrukem
08-14-2012, 07:26 PM
If RoboCop transforms and/or goes anywhere near the middle-east, I'm out. I'm done. Period.

It's ok for Iron Man to do it but not Robocop??

Dukefrukem
08-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I didn't get that part. What's "MGM REMAKE TDB"?

There are no eyes in the original poster. I looked for a larger version to make sure.

I can't believe someone is defending the existence of this.

MGM Remake Too Damn Bad?

Grouchy
08-14-2012, 07:32 PM
MGM Remake Too Damn Bad?
Well, I didn't know that acronym, but I still don't get it... there's a movie called Too Damn Bad?

Irish
08-14-2012, 07:34 PM
"To Be Determined"

Dukefrukem
08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Well, I didn't know that acronym, but I still don't get it... there's a movie called Too Damn Bad?

I was poking fun at your typo.

number8
08-14-2012, 07:40 PM
What Irish said. It just means they want to plug another one of their movies there but they don't have a specific one yet. The logic is that a new movie that's not out in theaters yet will be an old movie on TV in the "near future" the Robocop remake is set in. They probably think that's cool synergy or something.

Grouchy
08-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Holy shit that's depressing. I don't know if I should thank you guys for explaining it to me.

Spun Lepton
08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
It's ok for Iron Man to do it but not Robocop??

Does he transform in Avengers or something? I haven't seen it, yet. And before this turns into a silly argument, realize that I have a fanboy-ish love of the original RoboCop.

number8
08-14-2012, 09:06 PM
He doesn't. I'm not sure what duke is referring to.

Raiders
08-14-2012, 09:23 PM
He doesn't transform, but he does go to the Middle East.

number8
08-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Ahhh. Right.

Well, Iron Man is an independent superhero. Robocop works for Detroit PD. By "middle east" they better mean Poletown and Eastern Market.

Spun Lepton
08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Exactly. Keep the story in New Detroit.

Morris Schæffer
08-15-2012, 07:46 AM

I guess it must be some kind of shadow. I always thought that if you looked at the visor, and to the left of it, there appeared to be a sphere surrounded by an elliptical something. I always took that for an eye although certainly not Peter Weller's eyes.

Dukefrukem
08-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Actually staying in Detroit would be good. The Detroit depicted in the original movie is basically what Detroit looks like now.

Baa zing.

EvilShoe
08-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Although I appreciate them trying new things, instead of doing a carbon copy of the original, none of this sounds appealing.

Robocop is pretty much my favorite movie. Someone else could've made a passable action movie out of the original, but Verhoeven really elevates the material. It's the rare movie that's still immensely watchable even without the nostalgia goggles.

Padilha's an interesting filmmaker, so I hope his vision shines through. Whatever that may be. Hope he's not doing this in a "point and shoot"-capacity.

Morris Schæffer
08-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Hugh Laurie is out. Clive Owen may be in.

EvilShoe
08-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Michael Keaton will be playing the villain.

Well played, studio executives...

Morris Schæffer
08-30-2012, 07:36 AM
I talked to José Padilha for a week by phone. He will begin filming Robocop. He is saying that it is the worst experience. For every 10 ideas he has, 9 are cut. Whatever he wants, he has to fight. “This is hell here,” he told me. “The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.” He is bitter, but it’s a fighter.

Michael is the final addition to the amazing cast we have assembled for this film and it is so great to have the last puzzle piece in place," Padilha said in a statement. "It is thrilling that everything has come together to bring this innovative new vision of RoboCop to life. We’ve got a great script, a great cast, some killer ED-209s and I can’t wait to get Alex Murphy back on the streets.

Lol

Dukefrukem
08-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Michael Keaton will be playing the villain.

Well played, studio executives...

I can't remember the title, but he played a great villain in some mid 90s movie that I remember enjoying.

Morris Schæffer
08-30-2012, 01:10 PM
I can't remember the title, but he played a great villain in some mid 90s movie that I remember enjoying.

Pacific heights

Dukefrukem
08-30-2012, 01:11 PM
No, Desperate Measures.

Morris Schæffer
08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
No, Desperate Measures.

I was gonna mention that too, but I heard it was bad so I didn't. :)

Dukefrukem
08-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Kinda cool news; The production of this movie just ordered a bunch of enterprise storage units from my company to be showcased in the movie (empty cabs that look real). Product placement at the most secretive level. Consumers would rarely recognize our products...

You can find them in the movies Eagle Eye, Transformers 2 & 3, and they also made an appearance on 24 and Nikita.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3307/3440606494_e00dd1bdcf.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/2800785856_89381b5ea3.jpg

Morris Schæffer
08-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Where do you work and what's the purpose of those things? They're meant to look like processors?

amberlita
08-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Looks like a room on the TARDIS to me.

Dukefrukem
08-31-2012, 01:31 AM
Where do you work and what's the purpose of those things? They're meant to look like processors?

EMC (http://www.emc.com)

High speed enterprise storage systems with security, redundancy and cloud options. We only really sell to telecommunications, banks and government agencies. Those are the only companies that can really afford our products or CARE about the added security we offer.

Morris Schæffer
08-31-2012, 05:57 AM
EMC (http://www.emc.com)

High speed enterprise storage systems with security, redundancy and cloud options. We only really sell to telecommunications, banks and government agencies. Those are the only companies that can really afford our products or CARE about the added security we offer.

And Hollywood. :lol: looks like a nice company dude.

Dukefrukem
08-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Haha yeh, but the systems don't have any hardware in them. They are just shells with the LEDs on the outside turned on to make it look cool.

Ezee E
09-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Michael Keaton is great in anything and everything. Great casting.

You ever see Game 6 Duke? Great little hidden gem.

EvilShoe
09-15-2012, 05:36 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/1831/hrrobocop1.jpg

*shrug*

[ETM]
09-15-2012, 06:03 PM
That doesn't look like a cyborg. It looks like a man in a suit.

Watashi
09-15-2012, 11:56 PM
I will not see this movie.

Ivan Drago
09-16-2012, 12:21 AM
All I'm thinking of when I see that is Masked Rider.

Skitch
09-16-2012, 01:27 AM
This is such a strange project. Everything in and around it so far has just been...strange.

number8
09-16-2012, 01:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/hd5Wi.jpg

Morris Schæffer
09-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Into darkness he strode.

amberlita
09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Guess they saved the arm this time.

number8
09-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Worth noting that that's just the base suit. From what I hear, the final product will be heavily CGIed.

Morris Schæffer
09-17-2012, 04:30 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/9114/original/Robocop-promo-poster.jpg?1347894008

The promo poster does make it clear the suit, or one of the suites, will be black.

megladon8
09-17-2012, 05:35 PM
It does sound like it is going to be a mess (particularly when even the people involved in the production seem to have little faith in it), but most of the "this is gonna suck" comments seem to be of the "it's not like the old one, so it'll be crap" variety.

Do we really just want a slavish remake?

At least they're trying something different.

Grouchy
09-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Eh, no, I just don't want any remake, period.

Speaking of which, I saw Miike's Hara-Kiri a couple of days ago. I remember the Kobayashi film well enough that this "slavish remake" was pointless as fuck and more than likely the most forgettable film I've ever seen from Miike.

EvilShoe
09-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Reddit peeps tried to fix the suit:
http://unleashthefanboy.s3.amazonaws. com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/aUEgR.jpg

Morris Schæffer
10-09-2012, 07:16 AM
VfNyT41W4JA

EvilShoe
10-09-2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.blogto.com/upload/2012/10/2012109-robocop1.jpg

Morris Schæffer
10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
That's the best picture so far. If this is going to suck, it probably won't be because of the suit. It looks sleek, striking...different.

Ezee E
10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
That's the best picture so far. If this is going to suck, it probably won't be because of the suit. It looks sleek, striking...different.
Funny, I was thinking the opposite!

Morris Schæffer
10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Funny, I was thinking the opposite!

I do prefer the original 1987 version though. :P

[ETM]
10-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Red CGI lights? So Robocop will look like a gaming rig built by a teenager?

Morris Schæffer
10-09-2012, 07:52 PM
;445416']Red CGI lights? So Robocop will look like a gaming rig built by a teenager?

Maybe he's transparent and we can see his geforce Nvidia card. :)

number8
10-09-2012, 07:57 PM
More.

Oh boy the satire attempt...

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2012/10/2012109-robocop3.jpg

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2012/10/2012109-robocop.jpg

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2012/10/2012109-robocop9.jpg

Morris Schæffer
10-10-2012, 09:45 AM
And the meta version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Lightstorm/robometa01final-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Lightstorm/robometa02final.jpg

Morris Schæffer
10-10-2012, 03:07 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/9553/original/joel_kinnaman_robocop_set_toro nto_september_7_2012_2.jpg?134 9876755

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/9555/original/joel_kinnaman_robocop_set_toro nto_september_7_2012_1-450x693.jpg?1349876806

EvilShoe
10-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Delayed until February 7th, 2014.

That's not good news.

Dukefrukem
10-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Bwhahaha. Over a year of post production?? WTF?

Ivan Drago
10-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Bwhahaha. Over a year of post production?? WTF?

$10,000 says they're converting it to 3D.

Morris Schæffer
10-17-2012, 06:45 AM
$10,000 says they're converting it to 3D.

And adding Channing Tatum. ;)

Dukefrukem
01-29-2013, 11:22 PM
http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/robocoparmormode_large.jpeg

Gamblor
09-06-2013, 12:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

Neclord
09-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Ehhhhhhh no.

Dead & Messed Up
09-06-2013, 02:09 AM
Looks like a good time for people who are bad at watching movies.

Skitch
09-06-2013, 02:15 AM
I expected much worse.

megladon8
09-06-2013, 02:21 AM
I expected much worse.

Agreed, but it still doesn't look too good.

The original is still fantastic and has aged well.

Skitch
09-06-2013, 02:35 AM
Agreed, but it still doesn't look too good.

The original is still fantastic and has aged well.

The original is so good that I have no fear of this film. It could be 90 minutes of Robo-dork shitting his tin pants quoting C3PO and it would have zero bearing on my feelings for the original. True lighting in a bottle.

Dukefrukem
09-06-2013, 03:33 AM
The suit looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Morris Schæffer
09-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Michael Keaton looks svelte!

EvilShoe
09-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Well... at least it means Keaton remains employed.

KK2.0
09-06-2013, 03:23 PM
I remember people laughing at the original's trailer (yes, i'm old), but I'm not too excited as well.

more curious about backstage stories actually.

Dukefrukem
09-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Reposting for awesomness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Bk7EKLaus

MadMan
09-13-2013, 08:01 AM
That trailer was meh.

Dukefrukem
09-13-2013, 01:47 PM
http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/draven/robocop_2014.jpg-large

Lasse
09-14-2013, 03:59 PM
This just looks boring, somehow, despite all the action.

MadMan
09-21-2013, 07:39 AM
They should have released this before Dredd. I'm sure most critics will be comparing the two.

Rock
09-22-2013, 01:36 PM
I ended up watching the original again last night for no particular reason (does one need a reason for revisiting a great film?), and it still rules. I don't think the trailer for the remake looks awful, but I have my doubts that the satire will have the same bite as the original. I'm with MadMan that making this a bit earlier might have helped it, but more because it might have lent any anti-corporate commentary additional resonance than because of similarities to Dredd.

Winston*
02-08-2014, 06:43 PM
OMG. NSFW.

http://vimeo.com/86014703

Dukefrukem
02-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Done by the Screen Junkie guys. But yeh, the crotch shot scene... hilarious.

Watashi
02-08-2014, 06:58 PM
The entire movie is pretty great.