PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on a local story...

megladon8
07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I'll try to make the story fairly brief, so we can get to discussion...

So, a man from a town not too far outside Ottawa was arrested and convicted for sexually assaulting a 16 year old girl.

He served his full jail sentence (not sure exactly how long it was), then spent more than a year in a psychiatric hospital, until he was deemed fit to re-enter society. He also agreed to continue undergoing regular psychiatric care.

However, when he tried to re-enter society by moving into another small town, the media made a huge frenzy, and he was practically chased out of town by angry citizens.

Now he is trying to move into Ottawa, and the same thing is happening. All day today at work, the newscasts were reporting:

-His full name
-The address he is planning to move into
-The place he will be working

And in the newspapers, they are showing pictures of him.

Now, let me preface this by saying that I understand the horrors of sex crimes, and I know that this is a crime which can ruin the life of a child, woman, family and friends forever. I also understand that, of all crimes, sex crimes tend to have the most repeat offenders.

But...

In my most humble opinion, if the man is not already a repeat offender, since he completed his jail time and psychiatric care, isn't this the point where society is supposed to forgive him?

The way I always understood it, isn't the whole point of a finite jail sentence that, when you come out the door after serving your time, you have paid your debt? You are forgiven in the eyes of society and the law?

I fully endorse that these people should have "tabs" kept on them by the law, and close attention paid...but isn't reporting their full name, address and place of work going too far?

I think it is wrong that we are so unwilling to accept someone who is genuinely trying to change/has changed.

Dukefrukem
07-17-2008, 01:32 PM
I agree with you meg. I'm a big advocate about giving people as second chance at everything. People fuck up and pay for their fuck ups and don't deserve the stereotypes that people will think once they get a whiff of what's going on. No one is perfect. Even though a sex crime is probably at the top of the list of things you shouldn't even think about doing, sometimes people are legitimately sorry about their past. BUt that's just the way people are. A person is smart. People are dumb. I blame a lot of this on the media. We don't need to know about A-Rod's romp with Madonna. BUt we do, and we judge him for it.

Benny Profane
07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
There are various degrees of sexual assault. Was it consensual sex with a minor? Did he drug her, beat her, keep her chained in the attic, then repeatedly rape her?

Just curious because some forms of assault are exponentially worse than others, and if his crime was more towards the extreme end of the spectrum, then people's reactions might be a lot more justified.

Hard to say without knowing more facts of the case.

Dukefrukem
07-17-2008, 01:38 PM
There are various degrees of sexual assault. Was it consensual sex with a minor? Did he drug her, beat her, keep her chained in the attic, then repeatedly rape her?

Just curious because some forms of assault are exponentially worse than others, and if his crime was more towards the extreme end of the spectrum, then people's reactions might be a lot more justified.

Hard to say without knowing more facts of the case.

MEg's point is he went to jail, did his time, paid his debt to society, continued to seek counseling and shouldn't that be enough?

Benny Profane
07-17-2008, 01:44 PM
MEg's point is he went to jail, did his time, paid his debt to society, continued to seek counseling and shouldn't that be enough?

Not necessarily.

lemon
07-17-2008, 01:48 PM

No. The justice system is not perfect. We need more information. You can't compare someone who kidnapped and raped a girl to someone who exposed his genitals to a group of highschool girls in a parking lot.

It is silly to have blind faith in the justice system. It does anything but rehabilitate people.

Dukefrukem
07-17-2008, 01:52 PM
No. The justice system is not perfect. We need more information. You can't compare someone who kidnapped and raped a girl to someone who exposed his genitals to a group of highschool girls in a parking lot.

It is silly to have blind faith in the justice system. It does anything but rehabilitate people.

Good point. I'd be interested to see what the percentage of repeat offenders are for sexually related crimes.

Scar
07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Need more info 'bout the sexin'.

megladon8
07-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Apparently he groped a 16 year old girl and repeatedly tried to get her into his car.

Russ
07-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Give him a second chance, leave him alone, and pray to God that you've made the right decision. All you can do.

Lucky
07-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Meh, there are countless other people who are more deserving of my sympathy. I find it hard to invest much emotion for this man's case.

bac0n
07-18-2008, 02:59 PM
In America, for cases involving sexual violence, the offenders are evaluated on their release for their likelihood to repeat offend. The least likely to re-offend is a level 1 sex offender, the most likely to repeat offend is a Level 3, which means they are very likely to do something again.

Do they have anything like that in Canadia?