PDA

View Full Version : Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Acapelli
07-10-2008, 04:51 AM
now has a star in RDJr.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117988699.html?categoryid=1 0&cs=1

my interest has shot up astronomically

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Man, talk about crap in one hand and gold in the other.

Grouchy
07-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Huh, Downey is a very good actor, but he can't do Sherlock Holmes. At least not playing it straight.

He's not even British. It's not a question of accent, it's a question of tradition.

This is the best Holmes that ever lived:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Jeremy_Brett.jpg

Jeremy Brett (1933-1995).

Rowland
07-10-2008, 05:29 AM
I've seen and enjoyed two Ritchie movies (Snatch and Revolver), so I'm hoping for the best.

Winston*
07-10-2008, 05:35 AM
I've seen and enjoyed two Ritchie movies (Snatch and Revolver), so I'm hoping for the best.
I liked Lock Stock and Snatch when I saw them in my teens but this year I've watched the starts of both movies and found them seriously irritating.

number8
07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Man, talk about crap in one hand and gold in the other.

This.

megladon8
09-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Russell Crowe is playing Watson. (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24279203-5012749,00.html)

Raiders
09-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Russell Crowe is playing Watson. (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24279203-5012749,00.html)

I like this as it hopefully means we'll have an adept, intelligent Watson as opposed to the Nigel Bruce bumbling fool.

megladon8
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I just think this whole project sounds retarded.

A high-flying kung fu Sherlock Holmes movie starring an American actor in the title role, and directed by Guy Ritchie?

'Cause, you know, having a Sherlock Holmes detective mystery would just be too old-hat...it's not like being a detective is a defining characteristic of Holmes or anything, right? Making him a kung-fu badass will totally fly!

I mean, I'm totally willing to accept a pleasant surprise, but I'm not expecting it in the least.

Watashi
09-02-2008, 09:07 PM
I think Sherlock Holmes as a kung-fu flying badass sounds awesome.

I just wish the director was different.

number8
09-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Hopefully this will derail the Bill Hicks biopic.

Grouchy
09-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Hopefully this will derail the Bill Hicks biopic.
That's called looking at the glass half-filled.

If number8 saw a tsunami coming towards him, he'd say "well, at least the water is free".

number8
09-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Fo' sho. I was watching this Gustav crap on the news and thought, "At least it's here before the city's fully recovered." Woulda been much shittier if New Orleans finally got back on its feet and the levees break again.

megladon8
12-16-2008, 11:10 PM
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1182/82799319mg0.jpg

Looks like Fight Club.

Winston*
12-16-2008, 11:34 PM
...or Snatch.

Qrazy
12-17-2008, 02:16 AM

Well you should get on Lock Stock then.

Qrazy
12-17-2008, 02:16 AM
I like this as it hopefully means we'll have an adept, intelligent Watson as opposed to the Nigel Bruce bumbling fool.

When I think Russell Crowe I don't think adept or intelligent.

Dukefrukem
12-17-2008, 03:49 AM
...or Snatch.

thats what i thought of

Russ
12-17-2008, 04:00 AM
When I think Russell Crowe I don't think adept or intelligent.
Crowe's out, Jude Law's in.

Qrazy
12-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Crowe's out, Jude Law's in.

Neither make me think Watson but alrighty.

Morris Schæffer
03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
http://latinoreview.com/images/user/Sherlock-3-copy.jpg

lovejuice
03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
i'm torn. on one hand, i should raise hell about its being unfaithful to the source material. (which book do they base the movie on?) on the other hand, as a christie's fan, i am compelled to say the baker st. sleuth finally get a deserving treatment. :twisted:

[ETM]
03-30-2009, 10:04 PM
So... ditching the period entirely? Because he's dressed about, what, 50 years ahead of his time?

Sycophant
03-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Guys, I want to watch this movie.

tl;dr: DO WANT

Mysterious Dude
03-31-2009, 02:43 AM
;148891']So... ditching the period entirely? Because he's dressed about, what, 50 years ahead of his time?
It looks vaguely 1890's to me. What do you mean?

MadMan
03-31-2009, 04:36 AM
I've liked three Guy Ritchie movies (Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, and Rock 'n' Rolla). But I'm not sure I like this idea. Or approve.

Acapelli
03-31-2009, 04:46 AM
I've liked three Guy Ritchie movies (Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, and Rock 'n' Rolla). But I'm not sure I like this idea. Or approve.
you missed two. swept away, which i haven't seen and is universally maligned, and revolver, which nobody saw but i enjoyed

MadMan
03-31-2009, 05:01 AM
you missed two. swept away, which i haven't seen and is universally maligned, and revolver, which nobody saw but i enjoyedSwept Away is one I'll never watch, but I do have an interest in seeing Revolver.

Ezee E
03-31-2009, 05:03 AM
He's nearly godawful now, but I think this might be a change of things as I don't think it was written by him.

[ETM]
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
It looks vaguely 1890's to me. What do you mean?

I was thinking late-early 1900's, especially the hat.

Acapelli
03-31-2009, 04:04 PM
;149054']I was thinking late-early 1900's, especially the hat.
i'm sure the vast majority of people would not be able to differentiate late-early 1900s clothing and clothing from the late 1800s

number8
03-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, they deliberately want him to look more modern than his usual portrayal, anyway.

[ETM]
03-31-2009, 07:00 PM
i'm sure the vast majority of people would not be able to differentiate late-early 1900s clothing and clothing from the late 1800s

Well, I'm no expert, but I think 8 is right - they are definitely making him "cooler". The book Holmes is a perfectly by the book gentleman in public, and that poster screams "nothing but".

number8
03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
They're focusing on his bohemian persona. Druggie, sarcastic, quirky, somewhat of a nutjob, and a martial arts enthusiast who enjoys bare-knuckle boxing. Basically, an asskicking House.

The film is said to be big on action and comedy.

DavidSeven
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
They're focusing on his bohemian persona. Druggie, sarcastic, quirky, somewhat of a nutjob, and a martial arts enthusiast who enjoys bare-knuckle boxing.

They might as well retitle it Sherlock Downey Jr.

amirite?

lovejuice
03-31-2009, 07:25 PM
They're focusing on his bohemian persona. Druggie, sarcastic, quirky, somewhat of a nutjob, and a martial arts enthusiast who enjoys bare-knuckle boxing. Basically, an asskicking House.

The film is said to be big on action and comedy.
so i guess it's not based on any book...hmmm

number8
03-31-2009, 07:35 PM
so i guess it's not based on any book...hmmm

No, it's based on an unpublished comic book the screenwriter made.

Ezee E
03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
http://www.awardsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sherlock-plainview-1.jpg

Saw this on awardsdaily and laughed.

megladon8
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Despite liking much of the talent involved, I just can't bring myself to think this movie will be good.

It seems like a clusterfuck of too many elements that won't mesh together.

But hey, I'm totally open to a great surprise.

Sycophant
03-31-2009, 11:08 PM
This movie will be like a summer party in Jesus Christ's backyard (he does the barbecuing!) with Bruce Springsteen providing live entertainment, and everyone leaves the party with their true love, with whom they return home and have the best sex of their lives.

lovejuice
04-01-2009, 12:07 AM
No, it's based on an unpublished comic book the screenwriter made.
that explains a lot. the shot, the one sheet, the "They're focusing on his bohemian persona. Druggie, sarcastic, quirky, somewhat of a nutjob, and a martial arts enthusiast who enjoys bare-knuckle boxing." scream more super-hero than victorian sleuth.

Watashi
05-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Trailer (http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/sherlock-holmes/trailer)

megladon8
05-18-2009, 11:24 PM
That looks worse than I ever imagined.

number8
05-18-2009, 11:44 PM
*facepalm*

lovejuice
05-19-2009, 12:03 AM
indeed. awful.

Sycophant
05-19-2009, 12:11 AM
I think this could be fun.

Dukefrukem
05-19-2009, 12:26 AM
We've seen bad trailers before turn into average movies. Btw, what is up with the slow-mo during that fist fight? I didn't see anything to stare at and it feels like they're just slowing down time for the hell of it.

megladon8
05-19-2009, 12:31 AM
We've seen bad trailers before turn into average movies. Btw, what is up with the slow-mo during that fist fight? I didn't see anything to stare at and it feels like they're just slowing down time for the hell of it.

Guy Ritchie is paying tribute to Snatch.

Which, if you remember, is his own movie.

Sycophant
05-19-2009, 12:33 AM
That shot with the hammers has earned this movie my $10 and 3 hours of my time.

Dukefrukem
05-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Guy Ritchie is paying tribute to Snatch.

Which, if you remember, is his own movie.

:confused:

The Mike
05-19-2009, 01:10 AM
That shot with the hammers has earned this movie my $10 and 3 hours of my time.

Ditto that. I'm all in.

megladon8
05-19-2009, 01:34 AM
I like what Cinematical wrote about the trailer, in an article titled "Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the WTF Trailer"...

At this point the thing looks like Young Sherlock Holmes meets The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vs. Van Helsing: At World's End ...

BuffaloWilder
05-19-2009, 02:30 AM
This looks a lot better than I thought it would. And I've read the script.

Also, Doyle's stories were filled with this 'boy's adventure' kind of thing, and it looks like they've carried that over pretty well. Holmes and Watson kicked the hell out of people pretty regularly, so I don't see what the problem is there.

Acapelli
05-19-2009, 03:22 AM
admittedly i am not that familiar with doyle's holmes, but this looks like a ton of fun

Ezee E
05-19-2009, 03:47 AM
The only way I'll see a Guy Ritchie movie again is if its trailer was awesome.

This made me think of Will Smith's Wild Wild West.

Pass. Even with the Rachel McAdams factor.

Grouchy
05-19-2009, 04:00 AM

Also, Doyle's stories were filled with this 'boy's adventure' kind of thing, and it looks like they've carried that over pretty well. Holmes and Watson kicked the hell out of people pretty regularly, so I don't see what the problem is there.
Well, they kicked the hell out of people all right... but they did it with dignity.

I'm sorry. I'm too much of a Holmes fanboy to allow this. That shit seriously hurt my eyes.

megladon8
05-19-2009, 04:40 AM

The books weren't exactly "high-flying kung fu epics" as Ritchie has described the film.

I don't want to seem hypocritical, as I've said more than once how much it pisses me off when loyal fans of a story (whether it be book, comic, game, whatever) cannot accept a differing vision from their own.

But really, I saw nothing like Sherlock Holmes in that trailer. Like Live Free or Die Hard, it looks like a generic script with a more well-known license thrown on it to make more money.

BuffaloWilder
05-19-2009, 04:49 AM
The books weren't exactly "high-flying kung fu epics" as Ritchie has described the film.

This doesn't seem like one, either. There's no place in the script - that I read, and it may have changed, since then - where Holmes is back-flipping or lip-kicking, or in the trailer, for that matter. I see boxing, and some fist-fighting, but I don't see any kung fu.

From what I'm reading, what martial arts is in the film is bartitsu, which is mentioned several times in the stories.

But really, I saw nothing like Sherlock Holmes in that trailer. Like Live Free or Die Hard, it looks like a generic script with a more well-known license thrown on it to make more money.

There biggest one that really sticks out is the plot centered around a death-cult. That's a hallmark of Doyle.

The Mike
05-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Back when this was announced it was being reported this was based partially on a Holmes comic book. Has anyone actually read that one, or are we all jumping to conclusions?

megladon8
05-19-2009, 04:56 AM
This doesn't seem like one, either. There's no place in the script - that I read, and it may have changed, since then - where Holmes is back-flipping or lip-kicking, or in the trailer, for that matter. I see boxing, and some fist-fighting, but I don't see any kung fu.

I'm just going by what Ritchie said - what I wrote in quotations were his words describing how the film would be.

I didn't see backflips in the trailer, either, but it certainly looked like the fight scenes could end up very jumpy and with some wire-fu.

There biggest one that really sticks out is the plot centered around a death-cult. That's a hallmark of Doyle.

Indeed I caught that, but I'm just not digging the way the movie looks, from that trailer.

I wnat it to be good, I really do. I love Robert Downey Jr., I love the Sherlock Holmes stories...I hope it's better than what I see here.

I didn't see much (if any) of Holmes' trademark skills in the art of deduction on display, but I'm willing to accept that it may have just been a case of this specific trailer being cut to show off the film's action.

And that boxing match lifted right out of Snatch...that didn't sit well with me.

BuffaloWilder
05-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Back when this was announced it was being reported this was based partially on a Holmes comic book. Has anyone actually read that one, or are we all jumping to conclusions?

I've never read it, but it seems to be a mishmash of various elements from every-which-where. The plot involving the death-cult is similar to the ones found in The Sign of Four and several other short stories by Doyle and other authors, although this one is less about revenge than it is - sigh, 'world domination,' basically. There's particular emphasis placed on Holmes physical prowess, which is also present in the stories.

And, on and on.

BuffaloWilder
05-19-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm just going by what Ritchie said - what I wrote in quotations were his words describing how the film would be.

Now you've got me worried.

I didn't see backflips in the trailer, either, but it certainly looked like the fight scenes could end up very jumpy and with some wire-fu.

If this is present, it will redeem itself only if Holmes, after having run up a wall and punched a guy in the face, stops to light his pipe and says something witty.

Only then.

Indeed I caught that, but I'm just not digging the way the movie looks, from that trailer.

Eh, I can get with that. It looks like a Guy Ritchie movie.

I didn't see much (if any) of Holmes' trademark skills in the art of deduction on display, but I'm willing to accept that it may have just been a case of this specific trailer being cut to show off the film's action.

I spotted a little, here and there. And, it's extremely present in the screenplay, as well - though, the first time we meet Holmes, he's

chasing someone down in a sewer

so -

And that boxing match lifted right out of Snatch...that didn't sit well with me.

I kind of like it; Ritchie at least knows how to make better use of slow-motion than Snyder.

MadMan
05-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Revolver was actually rock solid. I have yet to dislike a Guy Ritchie movie, but as I said before I'm avoiding Swept Away, which just looked really awful.

That trailer was not very good. Not sure if this will end up being anything but awful. I'd rather have someone making a straightforward adaption of the Holmes' tales instead.

number8
05-19-2009, 05:23 AM

It was never published. Or at least, not yet. Dude made the comic solely to pitch a movie, which is an alarming trend these days.

The Mike
05-19-2009, 05:24 AM
It was never published. Or at least, not yet. Dude made the comic solely to pitch a movie, which is an alarming trend these days.
Ewww.

Fuck it, I'm still in.

lovejuice
05-19-2009, 06:11 AM
huh? can you give me an example? i can't claim to know doyle very well, but out of all the shorts and novels i have read, never once have i encounter a magic element, let alone a cult.

EDIT: i just read your above post. i don't think, the cult in the sign of four is the same as, say, the illuminati though.

Sven
05-19-2009, 04:34 PM
This movie looks awesome.

Kurosawa Fan
05-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I think it looks like a lot of fun. The hammer bit, and the bit of dialogue that closes out the trailer, were great. I'll check it out, so long as the buzz after release isn't abysmal.

Let it be known though, I have no faith in Ritchie, and will have low expectations.

Wryan
05-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Haha, what the goddamn hell was that?

Henry Gale
05-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the slo-mo fighting will be played for laughs or at least not as gimmicky as the trailer suggests. Most of the other stuff seems to be going for a lighter tone with Holmes but also a much darker one with the villain than I expected. I hope it all balances nicely in the final film. Plus it looks like they're executing somewhat familiar action in some better-than-average ways (like the building dive).

Other than that... I think it looks pretty alright, more or less what I was expecting: Old time-y Tony Stark solves mysteries. If anything, it's Downey's accent that's my only big worry here. Law looks a lot more likable than I imagined (and I realized I haven't seen him in anything in ages) and McAdams has never looked better (too bad she doesn't say a thing in the trailer).

I'll see it.

BuffaloWilder
05-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Also, for anyone worrying about the boxing, it only occurs in one scene, at the beginning of the film. From what I read, anyway.

Sycophant
05-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm happy to see others didn't think that trailer made the film look facepalmingly awful.

Dead & Messed Up
05-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Were the stories this full of explosions and penis jokes?

:|

megladon8
05-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Were the stories this full of explosions and penis jokes?

:|

Yeah, I don't get why the childish-ness of the humor on display in that trailer is getting such a pass here on MatchCut (hammer shot excluded, because that was kind of cute).

It seems like the type of stuff people here would be cursing vehemently.

All we needed was for Holmes to light one of his farts on fire and it could be National Lampoon's Sherlock Holmes.

lovejuice
05-19-2009, 11:27 PM
meg, out of curiosity, why do you dislike it so much? since you are a comic book fan, isn't it a swell idea to super-hero-ize sherlock holmes?

megladon8
05-19-2009, 11:39 PM
meg, out of curiosity, why do you dislike it so much? since you are a comic book fan, isn't it a swell idea to super-hero-ize sherlock holmes?

Not all comic books are about super heroes :P

And no, I quite like Holmes as the detective, not the action hero.

Again, I don't want to seem hypocritical by saying "this is what I like and I will take nothing but this", but that trailer just didn't have any personality to it that said "Sherlock Holmes" to me. It's a Guy Ritchie period piece with a couple of recognizable character names slapped on it.

He's a very well-known character. Kids know who Sherlock Holmes is, even if they've never read any of the books. So I don't see why it's necessary to modernize him by having crazy action set pieces and low-brow humor.

I wouldn't want a Hercule Poirot movie directed by John Woo, either.

number8
05-20-2009, 12:12 AM
That's besides the point, though. The problem with the trailer is not the intention, but the wit displayed. The jokes are abysmal, especially that last bit with the pillow, and the visuals look like Shanghai Knights.

I, for one, have no problem with Sherlock Holmes as an action hero. I don't have a problem with Sherlock Holmes being funny either, given my love for Gregory House. But that's witty humor, which is fitting for an intelligent character like House/Holmes. Here, they're presenting a Sherlock Holmes who come across as barely having passed sixth grade.

megladon8
05-20-2009, 12:16 AM
So, yeah, like I said about the low-brow humor.

Acapelli
05-20-2009, 12:21 AM
it may be low-brow, but still funny. i wouldn't categorize this anywhere near any of those straight-to-video national lampoon flicks, or something the writers of scary movie would conjure

megladon8
05-20-2009, 12:24 AM
it may be low-brow, but still funny. i wouldn't categorize this anywhere near any of those straight-to-video national lampoon flicks, or something the writers of scary movie would conjure

Saying something is better/funnier than the STV National Lampoon's flicks or the Scary Movie series really isn't saying much, though :P

BuffaloWilder
05-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Myself, I'm more surprised all your heads didn't simultaneously explode from the sheer awesome, of that last moment.

Because, damn. :cool:

The Mike
05-20-2009, 01:15 AM
My thought was, how can people not think it looks like something Downey will turn into a forking blast?

I had Kiss Kiss Bang Bang flashbacks while watching it. And that's an awesome thing.

Raiders
05-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Downey looks entertaining, McAdams looks jaw-dropping, and I'm still digging the overall premise... but I was not feeling that trailer at all. Seemed very sloppy.

Sycophant
05-20-2009, 02:01 AM
The inclusion of some wacky/goofy moments aside, it looked like the tone of the trailer seemed to be trying to sell the picture as being more hardcore than it actually is. Sort of at odds with itself.

Winston*
05-20-2009, 03:44 AM
I would be looking forward to this more if Sherlock Holmes was being played by Statham.

The Mike
05-20-2009, 03:45 AM
I'd settle for Downey as Holmes and Statham as Watson.

KK2.0
05-20-2009, 03:57 AM
trailer makes it look like Pirates of the Caribbean, less the millions of dollars for special FX of course.

Grouchy
05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
That's besides the point, though. The problem with the trailer is not the intention, but the wit displayed. The jokes are abysmal, especially that last bit with the pillow, and the visuals look like Shanghai Knights.

I, for one, have no problem with Sherlock Holmes as an action hero. I don't have a problem with Sherlock Holmes being funny either, given my love for Gregory House. But that's witty humor, which is fitting for an intelligent character like House/Holmes. Here, they're presenting a Sherlock Holmes who come across as barely having passed sixth grade.
Exactly how I feel about it. There's reinvention and then there's betrayal.

Watashi
05-20-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm actually looking forward to the Sacha Baron Cohen/Will Ferrell Holmes film more.

Is that still going into production?

number8
05-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm actually looking forward to the Sacha Baron Cohen/Will Ferrell Holmes film more.

Is that still going into production?

I hope so. That's actually nice casting.

Wryan
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
That diving shot looks like the jettisoning of a body from a ship out into space with too much gravity.

megladon8
08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Brad Pitt brought in for last minute shooting. (http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0932710/)

Apparently the studio thought the movie was a mess, and wanted Ritchie to fix it up. They also wanted him to bring in Professor Moriarty.

Brad Pitt is Moriarty.

So yeah, if the studios' worries are at all indicative of the final product, this movie is turning out to be just as crappy as I thought it would be.

Dead & Messed Up
08-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Pitt versus Downey Jr.? I'll say yes to that.

Reshoots for a Guy Ritchie movie? To be expected.

Still not thrilled about this film, but it should be diverting enough.

The Mike
08-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I still has faith.

Sycophant
08-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Not every studio film that has production/final cut/studio-satisfying troubles ends up being bad.

But then I don't have a personal interest in this failing or anything.

D_Davis
08-18-2009, 12:24 AM
But then I don't have a personal interest in this failing or anything.

I've got a hundred bucks on it sucking.

Come on suck....Daniel needs a new thing.

BuffaloWilder
08-18-2009, 12:28 AM
I still want to see it.

Robert Downey as Sherlock Holmes? Brad Pitt as Moriarty? Jude Law as Watson?

number8
08-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Fake rumor, amigos. (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b139707_no_pitt_sherlock.html)

BuffaloWilder
08-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Spoil-sport.

MadMan
08-18-2009, 11:38 PM
I've come to actually embrace the idea of an action hero style Sherlock Holmes. Maybe its because since I work at a movie theater I've seen the trailer a million times and thus have been bowbeaten into seeing it. Either way, I'm there.

Morris Schæffer
09-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Sequel on the way. Pitt to play Moriarty?

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=25892

transmogrifier
09-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Seems to me that the announcing of a sequel before the first film is even released is just another attempt at generating unearned buzz in Hollywood these days.

Dukefrukem
10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.cinematical.com/media/2009/10/dom_sherlock-(4).jpg

lovejuice
10-27-2009, 04:04 PM
RDJ looks like a young dustin hoffman in that poster.

Ezee E
10-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Everything about this reminds me of Wild Wild West.

[ETM]
10-27-2009, 05:29 PM

Thankfully, no sign of giant fucking mechanical spiders so far.

megladon8
10-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I maintain that this movie looks awful.

Wryan
10-27-2009, 05:35 PM
;213750']Thankfully, no sign of giant fucking mechanical spiders so far.

This was just on the other day and I watched every moment of it. Still ridiculous...and still fun.

Dukefrukem
10-27-2009, 05:48 PM
RDJ looks like a young dustin hoffman in that poster.

He does....

and yes it does.

angrycinephile
10-27-2009, 05:51 PM
The only reason I'm anticipating this film is because it will have a new Hans Zimmer score.

[ETM]
10-27-2009, 05:58 PM
The only reason I'm anticipating this film is because it will have a new Hans Zimmer score.

Aw, crap. Rental for me then.

Grouchy
10-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Wow, you're right.

Sycophant
10-27-2009, 06:23 PM
;213750']Regrettably, no sign of giant fucking mechanical spiders so far.

Fixed.

[ETM]
10-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Fixed.

You don't think it's gonna be that bad, do you?

Sycophant
10-27-2009, 06:48 PM
I still think this movie could very well be a total blast.

KK2.0
10-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Actually, Giant Mecha Spider was the only thing that i cared for during Wild Wild West.

The Mike
10-28-2009, 05:20 AM
I still believe this will be the most enjoyable movie of the year.

Boner M
10-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Yeah, I think this looks fun.

Spun Lepton
11-20-2009, 10:21 PM
"I say Watson, have you tried these brand new Go-Go Taquitos at 7/11? They make hunger a mystery!"

http://www.movieline.com/2009/11/a-study-in-go-go-taquitos.php

angrycinephile
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Now you can listen to samples from Zimmer's score:

http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B0030CIAQQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1260468709&sr=8-2

Even though it's Zimmer don't expect his usual bombast. It's quite different from a lot of stuff he's done recently.

Sounds like a fun score.

MadMan
12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
After seeing the TV spots, no I can't say this will be like Wild Wild West. Simply because that movie was shitty, and I have a good feeling that this movie will be fun to watch. But hey I'm the guy who likes all of Guy Ritchies' movies minus Swept Away (okay I haven't seen those BMW shorts but I'm in no rush).

angrycinephile
12-18-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm actually starting to look forward to this film.

Mark Kermode, the English film-critic, who's pretty much the biggest Guy Ritchie-hater on Earth liked this film. He said it was surprisingly funny and the chemistry between Downey Jr. and Law was right on.

BuffaloWilder
12-26-2009, 07:07 AM
So, this is actually getting surprisingly good reviews.

I am very happy about this.

Winston*
12-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Robert Downey Jr's great. The rest of the movie's not. Fundamental problem is that the film doesn't have a central mystery. Also, that it's not very well made.

Boner M
12-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Robert Downey Jr's great. The rest of the movie's not. Fundamental problem is that the film doesn't have a central mystery. Also, that it's not very well made.
Pretty much, though I thought it was decently made and not as Ritchie-esque as I'd feared, plus the big set pieces were pretty fun.

That said, I think this could just be a weak intro into a fun series; maybe if Ritchie just goes back to whodunnit-basics and ditches all the supernatural/occult nonsense for the next installment. Downey & Law have great chemistry.

Ezee E
12-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Watched Snatch the other day. Ritchie does have some talent. It's such a fun movie.

Rowland
12-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Watched Snatch the other day. Ritchie does have some talent. It's such a fun movie.The boxing scene is just about the best of its kind since Raging Bull. The rest is a mixed bag, but for the most part an amusing exercise in empty style. I'm partial however to the ridiculous philosophical trappings and boldly stylized insanity of Revolver.

lovejuice
12-26-2009, 02:26 PM
it's fun but it's not doyle's sherlock holmes. more like a cousin to that 1985 young sherlock holmes movie. why does hollywood insist on pitting holmes against cult leaders? i don't remember any such villain in dolye's work.

Sxottlan
12-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Wow. This was fantastic.

number8
12-26-2009, 08:57 PM
it's fun but it's not doyle's sherlock holmes. more like a cousin to that 1985 young sherlock holmes movie. why does hollywood insist on pitting holmes against cult leaders? i don't remember any such villain in dolye's work.

Moriarty is a cult leader, technically.

Adam
12-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Saw this with the fam yesterday morning. My mom totally loved it

lovejuice
12-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Moriarty is a cult leader, technically.
if memory serves me right, Moriarty is not an arch-villain many people make him out to be. doesn't he appear only in two short stories?

number8
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
if memory serves me right, Moriarty is not an arch-villain many people make him out to be. doesn't he appear only in two short stories?

One, actually. He dies in his first appearance in The Final Problem, but Doyle did this crazy retcon where a lot of the cases Holmes has solved were not random but rather committed under the influence of Moriarty's ring of crime, and he later wrote prequels where Holmes fights Moriarty's henchmen.

Spaceman Spiff
12-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Also saw this with the fam yesterday morning. It wasn't great.

Mysterious Dude
12-27-2009, 12:16 AM
I enjoyed the movie, but it reminded me of Star Trek in the way it turned its much smarter source material into just another action film.

Wryan
12-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Loved it. Outstanding fun. Other than the seemingly requisite moments wherein everything is explained by the presence of an ancient yak hoof resin from the Mongolian Steppes. Or some such silliness. But still, this is a great joy. RDJ and Law are terrific. Bring on a franchise.

BuffaloWilder
12-27-2009, 04:31 AM
Come to think of it, have any of the great Star Trek films really been about the same socio-political thought process that bore the series foreward, initially?

No. In fact, Wrath of Khan was far more blowey-uppy than this most recent installment. They've always been about the development and relationship of the characters, and high spectacle, with perhaps some small measure of social or philosophical relavance.

And, truthfully - the same could be said of the first series, as well.

Sxottlan
12-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Looks like this will be neck and neck with Avatar this weekend. My screening at 12:30pm today was pretty full. Seemed like a crowdpleaser.

Rowland
12-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I've seen three of the Rathbone/Bruce Holmes serials, and so far, they are highly amusing, but not particularly smart, and at their worst notably stodgy, so a Downey Jr./Ritchie modernization sounds mightily appealing to me. I'll probably be seeing this today.

For those interested, of those three old-school Holmes films, I recommend The Spider Woman, which is a really fantastic bit of nimble entertainment, with many clever set pieces and a doozy of a climax.

lovejuice
12-27-2009, 11:59 PM
One, actually. He dies in his first appearance in The Final Problem, but Doyle did this crazy retcon where a lot of the cases Holmes has solved were not random but rather committed under the influence of Moriarty's ring of crime, and he later wrote prequels where Holmes fights Moriarty's henchmen.
i tip my hat to you. your knowledge of sherlock holmes is rivaled only by yours of the twilight-saga!

Wryan
12-28-2009, 01:32 AM
i tip my hat to you. your knowledge of sherlock holmes is rivaled only by yours of the twilight-saga!

He coulda wiki-ed it tho. I prefer to think otherwise.

number8
12-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Prease. Accept the mystery.

dreamdead
12-29-2009, 03:22 AM
So disappointing. Like the others have pinpointed, the rapport between Downey and Law is good, and I like that McAdams is an unwitting agent for Moriarty rather than Blackwood, but so much of the film is moving the characters around to get to the next set piece, denying us entrance into Holmes' detective work by only letting us see his deductions after the fact. There's little mystery involved here that's sustained. Depressing, though I'm still happy for Downey's success on this front. I just wish Ritchie and the writers had found more of a balance between action star and detective work here.

Qrazy
12-29-2009, 03:30 AM
Apparently there are some Russian Sherlock Holmes films that are quite good.

number8
12-29-2009, 02:32 PM
http://joshisaband.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/house-md.jpg

Melville
12-29-2009, 03:21 PM
denying us entrance into Holmes' detective work by only letting us see his deductions after the fact.
I haven't seen the film, so I might be misunderstanding you. But if I do understand you, then what you're complaining about is frequently the case in Doyle's stories as well. Holmes does some random stuff that Watson doesn't understand, suddenly the perpetrator is caught, and then Holmes explains how he did it. It makes Holmes seem more aloof and superhuman, and it puts the reader more firmly in the position of the everyman Watson. It also makes the reader at least as interested in Holmes, and in trying to figure out what he is up to, as in the nominal mystery.

number8
12-29-2009, 03:32 PM
*cough* House does that every week, too.

Melville
12-29-2009, 03:39 PM
*cough* House does that every week, too.
I haven't seen House either. I'm woefully out of date. But it's cool that Sherlock Holmes was inspired by a real-life doctor, and then a fictional doctor was inspired by Sherlock Holmes. The cycle of life continues.

Eleven
12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Haven't seen this but probably will.

Heard an interview with Stephen Fry a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that Hugh Laurie and him were pushed at times to do a Holmes/Watson vehicle but Ritchie's version came up just as they had finally relented. He also made the Holmes-House connection.

number8
12-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, it's not really a secret that House is basically Holmes with a stethoscope. The show has copious amounts of references to Sherlock, including House's own apartment, his drug addiction, his musical gift, and characters named Moriarty and Irene Adler.

What tickles me is that I never found all the previous actor's portrayals of Holmes to be accurate to the way he was written, until I see Hugh Laurie as House, which perfectly captures that addict-ego-bohemian-loner-brilliance that is supposed to be Holmes. So whenever I see a trailer for this movie, I keep seeing Downey doing a Hugh Laurie impression, with reverse-accents.

Rowland
12-30-2009, 06:21 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qab8k4AZP9Y/SzhhGi1A_pI/AAAAAAAABFs/TjQbXI0umwo/s400/Sherlock+Taquito+tie-in.jpg

I chuckled.

[ETM]
12-30-2009, 10:55 PM
What tickles me is that I never found all the previous actor's portrayals of Holmes to be accurate to the way he was written

I have read every single Holmes story, some several times, and Jeremy Brett's portrayal in the TV show was so perfect I could not imagine anyone else even attempting the role. He even looks incredibly like Holmes from the original Strand illustrations. Of course, he did literally go mad during the decade he played the character - he was diagnosed with manic depression - and eventually died from the side effects of the medication he was given. The role of Holmes took everything from him and it shows. All the other adaptations I've seen since look like school plays in comparison, including House.

number8
12-30-2009, 11:32 PM
I worded it wrong in my previous post, because it's not just the burden of the actor, but the series characterization as a whole. I think there should be more... I dunno, pathological playfulness and a hint of pathetic slavery to his own intelligence in the portrayal to really make the character alive (and not just what Doyle chose to have written out). At least, that's how I've always imagined Holmes. And, you know, the decision to have Holmes beat his cocaine addiction was... Eh.

But Brett's portrayal of Holmes as this kind of statured wild man is obviously way better than Rathbone, whose stuffiness I could never get past. On a side note, I do love how The Great Mouse Detective copied Brett's mannerisms, with the couch jumping and all that.

lovejuice
12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
;228587']He even looks incredibly like Holmes from the original Strand illustrations.
holy crap! you are correct.
http://www.dandyism.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/copy-of-brettpriere.jpg

MadMan
12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
For the most part, I rather enjoyed this adaption. Was it completely like the original books, or some of the older film adaptions? Eh, not really-but at the same time, I felt that much of it actually capture the essence of the character, and a re-imaging of sorts was not a bad thing. Even though I'm still not sure Robert Downey Jr. should have been casted as Holmes, Jude Law was great as Watson-and he would have made a solid choice to play Holmes, actually. I did like that they created an entirely new villain instead of borrowing from the stories-even though in the end we all know that Morriety will make an appearance in the next movie, and that he was bound to show up sooner or later. That's something I'm fine with since he is Holmes' arch-enemy and all. The CGI-style late 1800s London looked a bit too shinny in some regards, but it overall it worked just fine and was largely cool to look at. Oh and I liked that they featured McAddams as Addler, even though they gave her very little to do which was odd considering that she received top billing.

Ezee E
01-01-2010, 05:47 AM
I liked the theme to this, and that's about it.

dreamdead
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Anyone else notice that McAdams is featured in lingerie in several of the ads, luring Downey, but then all of those scenes appear nowhere in the film? Will this be a case of trying to market an "unrated" version or do you think the producers thought she came off too trampy?

Fezzik
01-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Holy hell, was this underwhelming.

I didn't even like RDJ that much. There were times I couldnt understand a word he was saying. I'm sure it was something clever, but I don't speak evasive mumbling.

Law was the highlight for me.

baby doll
01-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Some laughs, some thrills, not bad, but not very good either. Let's drop the bromance crap and admit that a large number of straight men like to have sex with other men--especially as Jude Law's mustache makes him a dead ringer for Freddie Mercury. The gayest action movie since Fight Club?

Boner M
01-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Let's drop the bromance crap and admit that a large number of straight men like to have sex with other men
What a great quote to usher out the 00's.

Bosco B Thug
01-03-2010, 08:49 AM
I was very very surprised how much I enjoyed this. And in case anyone wants to pull the "How is this better than Avatar?" card, I think I'm quite comfortable giving just this one retort: 19th century London is simply just a lot more interesting than Pandora. And if anything pushes Sherlock Holmes's quality, it's its extravagant, meticulous production design. SH's London is a stunning AND stimulating place.

Ritchie has incredible style alone (probably; I've only seen Snatch), but it helps that I'd wager he also makes sure to have a sense of his locations, the set/art design, the characters, his performers - that is, a clear understanding of what makes those things charming, appealing, and exciting - and that is what makes his work so enjoyable.

Brainless, utterly ridiculous, fashioned solely to crowd-please blockbuster fare... but which I come out feeling actually impressed by. This should've came out in the summer. It would have left me feeling less adrift in a world where all we get is Transformers II and G.I. Joe (I know, I know, I haven't actually seen either of those yet...). A smart stupid screenplay, smart charismatic performances, and the smart and meticulous and full artistic design; it gives a no-holds-barred, refreshingly non-rarefied presentation of old London that, I'll admit it, is what Sweeney Todd could've used. I'm officially looking forward to the sequel.

Raiders
01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm not really a Ritchie fan (Revolver, his collaboration with Besson the lone exception), but this certainly felt like the most perfunctory film of his career. I also found the portrayal of Adler rather underwhelming. She never struck me as cunning or sensuous enough to have beaten Holmes before. Plus, McAdams seems underutilized in Ritchie's gentleman's club atmosphere. Some smart and cunning femininity would have been welcome.

Robby P
01-11-2010, 11:49 PM
I thought the first twenty minutes were reasonably entertaining but the plot just descended into face-palming levels of stupidity by the third act. This wasn't a "modern" interpretation of Sherlock Holmes; it was just a juvenile one.

MadMan
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM
If and when they do do the sequel, they shouldn't include anyone like Addler in it, as she was just second fiddle the whole way.

Grouchy
01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Wow, I actually really really liked Sherlock Holmes. Not a major film to be sure, but at least the third best thing Ritchie has done after Snatch and Smoking Barrels. The best part is that, although it's a Hollywoodization of Holmes, it's actually quite truer to the Conan Doyle canon than most straight adaptations. It's just that Doyle didn't write it as a buddy action movie. But the detective's quirks, common phrasing and methods are mostly translated verbatim. My initial complaints about the enemies being ocultists faded once I saw how it was treated on the script. Downey Jr. and Law showcase a lot of unexpected chemistry, and the former one's accent was awe-inspiring. I don't know if this deserves to be a continuing saga, though, and I would've preferred if the entire storyline was condensed into one movie. It ends with obvious cliffhangers and loose ends pointing to the sequel.

Dukefrukem
08-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Rachel McAdams is so out of place.

Raiders
08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Rachel McAdams is so out of place.

This statement can never be true.

[ETM]
08-06-2010, 07:56 PM
she was just second fiddle the whole way.

I think I read these comments back when the movie was out, and was thinking how utterly wrong they were when I finally saw it the other day.

MadMan
08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
;279094']I think I read these comments back when the movie was out, and was thinking how utterly wrong they were when I finally saw it the other day.I just call 'em as I see 'em. If she wasn't second fiddle they would have given here more to do.

Sycophant
08-06-2010, 10:05 PM
http://www.whatnotstudios.com/shit/straightshooter.jpg

Mysterious Dude
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
If Sherlock Holmes needed a girlfriend, why didn't Arthur Conan Doyle give him one?

Edit: Okay, I stand corrected; apparently the character Irene Adler was not only created by Doyle, but was in the very first Sherlock Holmes story, "A Scandal in Bohemia." I am appropriately embarassed.

[ETM]
08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
I just call 'em as I see 'em. If she wasn't second fiddle they would have given here more to do.

It's a buddy cop flick. Even in the stories, she's this mysterious unknown, swooping in from time to time to mess with Holmes' mind. I think she was given plenty to do, and there were enough allusions to their previous encounters and her own devious doings to fill the background quite nicely without her becoming a third wheel.

Derek
08-06-2010, 11:09 PM
;279142']It's a buddy cop flick. Even in the stories, she's this mysterious unknown, swooping in from time to time to mess with Holmes' mind. I think she was given plenty to do, and there were enough allusions to their previous encounters and her own devious doings to fill the background quite nicely without her becoming a third wheel.

You are aware that second fiddle essentially means secondary character, i.e. someone who swoops in from time to time.

[ETM]
08-06-2010, 11:46 PM
You are aware that second fiddle essentially means secondary character, i.e. someone who swoops in from time to time.

Well, that's what she is. I was saying - why is that a negative thing?

Dukefrukem
08-07-2010, 01:31 AM
I just call 'em as I see 'em. If she wasn't second fiddle they would have given here more to do.

Agreed here. She sucks and she's not even British.

megladon8
08-07-2010, 01:32 AM

Nor is Downey.

Dukefrukem
08-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Nor is Downey.

She doesn't even try to talk with a British accent. Downey is on/off.

megladon8
08-07-2010, 01:33 AM
She doesn't even try to talk with a British accent. Downey is on/off.

But didn't they build it into her backstory in the movie that she's American?

[ETM]
08-07-2010, 01:42 AM
But didn't they build it into her backstory in the movie that she's American?

Yes.

And I still don't get it - if she was given any more to do, it would have been called "Sherlock and Irene, and some guy with a mustache".

Derek
08-07-2010, 01:54 AM
;279204']Yes.

And I still don't get it - if she was given any more to do, it would have been called "Sherlock and Irene, and some guy with a mustache".

Would that be weirder than making Sherlock Holmes a buddy cop/action flick?

For the record, I don't think more or less McAdams would've really helped it out much.

Raiders
08-07-2010, 02:31 AM

oy

Dukefrukem
08-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Fine she's American and she's still way out of place.. even for her role.

Dukefrukem
08-07-2010, 02:35 AM
oy

I like her in Mean Girls. But she totally fucked up the ending to this movie... therefor her character sucks.

number8
08-07-2010, 04:03 AM

Yes. By a lot.

Derek
08-07-2010, 04:10 AM
Yes. By a lot.

Yeah, you got me. Personally, I just really like the title "Sherlock and Irene, and Some Guy with a Mustache".

[ETM]
08-07-2010, 04:01 PM

I'm a huge Holmes fan and have been for years, and I agree that they shouldn't have done it. But on its own it's a fun film.

Morris Schæffer
09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Has Moriarty been cast?

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29052

number8
09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm a bit annoyed by Mycroft's casting.

[ETM]
09-29-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm a bit annoyed by Mycroft's casting.

Why? Fry is what I imagined Mycroft to be like from the stories alone.
I really like Harris as Moriarty, but he played a very similar character on Fringe which the article doesn't even mention.

number8
09-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Because if you look back on this thread, I have moaned, several times, that I would've liked the casting of Hugh Laurie as Sherlock.

I have, for many years, begged for Fry to guest on HOUSE as House's smarter older brother.

This casting choice is MOCKING me.

[ETM]
09-29-2010, 03:27 PM
After House, Lourie would have been too obvious of a choice.
Also - isn't House American? Fry can't do the accent to save his life. Unless he's a British half-brother...

number8
09-29-2010, 03:46 PM
They planned to do just that, but Fry was too busy at the time. Then it became too late because they started to established House's family. I'd given up on the idea... AND THEN THEY DID THIS.