PDA

View Full Version : Max Payne

Watashi
11-09-2007, 06:02 AM
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/6886/maxpaynehj0.jpg

20th Century Fox has signed Mark Wahlberg to star in Max Payne, a live-action adaptation of the bestselling Rockstar video game that will begin shooting early next year. John Moore will direct.

Variety says Wahlberg is negotiating to play the titular cop who is haunted by the tragic loss of his family and has little regard for rules as he investigates a series of mysterious murders. He finds himself up against an adversary bent on destroying Max and the streets he protects.

The script was written by Beau Thorne. Julie Yorn is producing through Firm Films, along with Scott Faye.

Ezee E
11-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Mark Wahlberg is in everything these days.

monolith94
11-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I WILL see this. Absolutely.

Sven
11-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I WILL see this. Absolutely.

What was that you said about Wanted? "Stupid, amoral escapism"? What makes a Max Payne adaptation different?

monolith94
11-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Ironic stupid, amoral escapism.

And Max Payne isn't that amoral.

Sven
11-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Ironic stupid, amoral escapism.

And Max Payne isn't that amoral.

I dunno. From what little I know it seems about par with the morality of Wanted. But admittedly, my knowledge is slim about either.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Why even base this on the video game?

If they have to base it on something, make a new adaptation of a Hammett or Chandler novel, or, better yet, just make up a new hardboiled hero.

DavidSeven
11-09-2007, 05:14 PM

If they have to base it on something, make a new adaptation of a Hammett or Chandler novel, or, better yet, just make up a new hardboiled hero.

Built-in audience.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Built-in audience.

The game is like 7 years old - no one even cares about Max Payne any more. I think there would be a better built in audience for a Chandler or Hammett adaptation.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
The game is like 7 years old - no one even cares about Max Payne any more. I think there would be a better built in audience for a Chandler or Hammett adaptation.

I definitely think you're wrong here...there's no way that more people are familier with Chandler or Hammett than with Max Payne.

Especially since the target audience will be adolescent boys.

Spinal
11-09-2007, 06:00 PM

Exactly. I have the same complaint about Hitman. The games work because they assemble all sorts of movie cliches into an interactive experience with a cypher protagonist that the player can easily imagine as a fantasized, machismo version of themselves. Now you're gonna take that character and make them specific. You might as well go back to the source rather than passing through the video game filter again. It makes zero sense, although if you're only concerned with making money, I guess I can see why they do it.

Raiders
11-09-2007, 06:07 PM
although if you're only concerned with making money, I guess I can see why they do it.

Do you assume there might be another reason?

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
I definitely think you're wrong here...there's no way that more people are familier with Chandler or Hammett than with Max Payne.

Especially since the target audience will be adolescent boys.

Are you kidding me?

Far more people know of Chandler and Hammett than a minor video game - remember, the Internet/video game audience only makes up a very small portion of the populace, a fact that Snakes on a Plane totally forgot about. They are targeting this towards a niche audience, and one that probably doesn't care any more about the source material.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Are you kidding me?

Far more people know of Chandler and Hammett than a minor video game - remember, the Internet/video game audience only makes up a very small portion of the populace, a fact that Snakes on a Plane totally forgot about. They are targeting this towards a niche audience, and one that probably doesn't care any more about the source material.

I'm still in disagreement with you.

I think there'd be a lot less knowledge of a Chandler novel/character than of Max Payne.

And Max Payne wasn't exactly "minor"...it was a pretty groundbreaking and extremely popular action game, which spawned a sequel which was also quite popular.

Plus, like I said, the audience will undoubtedly be adolescent boys. Even if it's R-rated, the audience is teenagers. I don't know many high school kids that would know - or be interested in at all - Chandler novels.

DavidSeven
11-09-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry, Davis, but I think you're seriously kidding yourself if you think there is larger built-in audience for a Chandler adaptation than a Max Payne movie. That might be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen argued here. The level of awareness for Max Payne is on par with someone like Lara Croft.

Sycophant
11-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Mark Wahlberg is in everything these days.This is a good thing.

John Moore is directing this. That is not a good thing.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Plus, like I said, the audience will undoubtedly be adolescent boys. Even if it's R-rated, the audience is teenagers. I don't know many high school kids that would know - or be interested in at all - Chandler novels.

Like I said, they are marketing this movie to a very small niche, and one that doesn't even care about the source material anymore. Snakes on a Plane proved that what is popular online is only so popular in the "real world." To you, to some people like us, sure, Max Payne may be more well known, but out there, in the real world, there are far more people who know of Chandler and Hammett - they are literary masters who are studied at colleges around the globe. Sam Spade and Marlowe are generally more "popular" than Max Payne.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm sorry, Davis, but I think you're seriously kidding yourself if you think there is larger built-in audience for a Chandler adaptation than a Max Payne movie. That might be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen argued here. The level of awareness for Max Payne is on par with someone like Lara Croft.

Not even close. Maybe to guys under the age of 30 who live on line and play video games, but this is just a niche. Now, will these guys be more apt to see a film like this? Perhaps, but only if they still cared about the property, and I don't think Max Payne is strong marketing force anymore.

DavidSeven
11-09-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't own any video game systems. I don't play video games or follow what is and is not popular. I haven't owned a game system since I had my Sega Genesis about 15 years ago. Yet, I know who Max Payne is and have a general idea of what he's all about. This is not a "niche" audience. That's like saying Iron Man is targeted toward a niche audience.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Yeh I'm still with DS on this one.

The fact that those authors have work studied in schools does not really mean anything.

A Max Payne movie would undoubtedly sell more tickets than a new version of "The Bid Sleep". I don't really see how there's any way around that.

Raiders
11-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I agree with David. With that said though, I don't really think the Max Payne name will mean a whole lot regarding this film's success. Comic book/video game adaptions are a dime-a-dozen these days. I think the film would likely do almost just as well if it didn't have the association.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 06:35 PM
I am talking about the general population. People like your teachers, your mom and dad, your grandma, grandpa, just people not associated with the minutia of pop-culture. I would bet that there are far more people alive today who are more familiar with the work (books and films) made by Chandler and Hammett than there are those who are familiar with Max Payne. I will also argue that more people would be interested in seeing a film based on a Chandler or Hammett novel than there are those interested in seeing a Max Payne film, simply because the Max Payne license is tired. Now, had the Max Payne franchise continued and remained popular and vital, then I would probably be singing a different tune.

This just reeks of Snakes on a Plane. Remember how popular this meme was online? Everyone thought it was going to be a HUGE success because of how popular it was with all the people on the various message boards. It defined viral marketing. However, what everyone failed to remember is that the people online who cared about this only make up a very small part of the actual population. We are a very vocal minority.

Sycophant
11-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Someone's not thinking enough like an executive. A couple years ago, Max Payne moved a lot of video game software.

What recent proof is there that Chandler and Hammett are viable in today's market? Hmmmm...?

People like your teachers, your mom and dad, your grandma, grandpa, just people not associated with the minutia of pop-culture. Besides, executives don't care about this market you're talking about anyway.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Both my mom and dad know of Max Payne, but not of Chandler or Hammett.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Besides, executives don't care about this market you're talking about anyway.

Exactly...they're not the ones going to movies, anyways.

It's kids - teenagers. Even if a movie is rated R, it's marketed towards teenagers, because they know that the teens will get in regardless of the rating.

Something like 300 - arguably one of the most violent films to come out of Hollywood in years - was rated R...but there's no way I could be convinced that movie wasn't made for 14 year old boys.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Someone's not thinking enough like an executive. A couple years ago, Max Payne moved a lot of video game software.

What recent proof is there that Chandler and Hammett are viable in today's market? Hmmmm...?

Had the film came out shortly after Max Payne 2, I might agree (and if it had reviewed a little better as well). But you forget how fickle we are, and how quickly people like us move on to the next thing. Max Payne was cool, now it is the punchline of many a joke in the industry, especially when overwrought cut scenes are concerned.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 06:50 PM

And this is exactly why films are under performing. They should care about the greater market, not the niche. Make a film and market it to adults and get them back into the theaters. The youth have so many other things to occupy their time with that I hardly think a Max Payne film will even register on their radars.

People like my grandpa and parents love the work of Chandler and Hammett, and they see more new movies in the theatre than I do.

I predict a Snakes on a Plane style flop with this. It'll be huge online and in the malls at Gamestop, but out in the real world it won't even register. We'll just have to see.

Max Payne is not new enough to be hip, nor is it old enough the benefit from the nostalgia factor.

DavidSeven
11-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't know why you keep comparing Max Payne to Snakes on a Plane. That's two completely different things. Snakes on a Plane did not have a built-in audience. It was an original idea that obtained word of mouth several months before its release. Max Payne has existed in popular culture since 2000 and was successful enough to spawn multiple sequels years after that.

DavidSeven
11-09-2007, 06:55 PM
No one is saying this movie is going to be some kind of huge hit or that it won't flop. Max Payne isn't Spider-Man, but people are still aware of the character. If you released two movies that were exactly the same with the same general marketing, the Max Payne movie would make more money than the "random hard-boiled guy" movie.

Raiders
11-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Davis, I assure you studio execs and market researchers are not oblivious to the fact that other markets exist. Having done work in the area of entertainment for other markets in graduate school, by and large they are not motivated enough to go to a theatre and see a film to make a profit for the studio the way the Gen-Xers and Gen-Yers are.

It isn't as easy as saying they ought to be explored because you know people who would like to see them produced. On the flip side, I know nobody in my family is very into going ans seeing films in theatres, regardless of their familiarity with the source. My dad LOVES Lord of the Rings, but he waited for DVD, and then he only rented them.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't know why you keep comparing Max Payne to Snakes on a Plane. That's two completely different things. Snakes on a Plane did not have a built-in audience. It was an original idea that obtained word of mouth several months before its release. Max Payne has existed in popular culture since 2000 and was successful enough to spawn multiple sequels years after that.

I am not comparing the films, but I am comparing how I think the marketing will happen, and the general outcome of the film. I believe that Max Payne, like Snakes, will make a huge splash with the online/video game community, but it will only make a minor ripple in the theaters and the real world, because when it comes down to it, the online/video game community who cares about the Max Payne franchise is very small when compared to the general populace.

It is also my contention that a well-made and properly marketed film based off of a Chandler or Hammett novel would do better financially, and with the critics, because outside of the video game culture, I believe that these two authors and the characters they created are generally more well known than Max Payne.

I could be totally wrong, no big deal, but this is my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Once this film is released, we'll see if I am wrong. Who knows, it could turn out to be a masterful film.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 07:10 PM
On the flip side, I know nobody in my family is very into going ans seeing films in theatres, regardless of their familiarity with the source. My dad LOVES Lord of the Rings, but he waited for DVD, and then he only rented them.

I have my own anecdotal evidence. My group of friends are far more likely to wait for the DVD because we have good home theatres, don't have to put up with terrible audiences, and we are all into various other forms of media. We have little time, and a lot to do.

On the other hand, my parents and my grandma go see movies in the theatre almost on a weekly basis, because they do not have the other things that I do, and they have more free time.

DavidSeven
11-09-2007, 07:16 PM
OK, I do think a very well-made adaptation of a Chandler novel will make more money than a very generic Max Payne movie. However, that's not because I feel there is any signficant audience out there for a Chandler movie. Good movies with some kind mass appeal will generally find an audience. Most of the video game movies we've seen have been poorly executed, which is why they haven't done spectacularly at the box office. Now, if they somehow managed to make a Max Payne movie that was critically acclaimed, it would probably blow a Chandler adaptation out of the water regardless of how good it was.

Sycophant
11-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I have my own anecdotal evidence. My group of friends are far more likely to wait for the DVD because we have good home theatres, don't have to put up with terrible audiences, and we are all into various other forms of media. We have little time, and a lot to do.

On the other hand, my parents and my grandma go see movies in the theatre almost on a weekly basis, because they do not have the other things that I do, and they have more free time.I guess it depends on where you sit. Neither of my sets of grandparents have been to a movie theater probably in the last decade (I think the last film we dragged one of my grandmothers to was George of the Jungle). My mother sees more films in the theater than most of her friends and she maybe makes it out once every month or two.

My friends--even the ones who aren't nearly into movies as I am--see at least one or two films a month theatrically. I try to see four to six.

Executives--admittedly, a notoriously superstitious, reactionary, and unwise lot--expect that more people follow the model I know than the model of people you know. Were I to get married, have children, and more of a career, I'd probably see much fewer movies in the theater, and then the studio stops caring about me. It's the under-30s with disposable incomes (teenagers, college students, yuppies) that studios want.

And I don't know how big an Internet splash this is going to make. Did Blood Rayne or Silent Hill catch everyone's imaginations? I'd expect it'll be an early fall '08 or late spring '09 picture, where it'll do respectable business because it doesn't have much competition and will get the people who were going to see it regardless of when it came out.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 07:22 PM
And I don't know how big an Internet splash this is going to make. Did Blood Rayne or Silent Hill catch everyone's imaginations?

Blood Rayne, no. But that's because no one really liked the games. It was the butt of many a joke though because of Boll.

Silent Hill was HUGE with the various gaming forums; IGN, GameFAQS, Gamesopt, NEOGAF, and so on. It was also a big topic on most of the video game podcasts I listen to leading up to its release.

However, Silent Hill has remained a popular, and well made, and pretty well reviewed game. It has stayed in the gaming zeitgeist, where as I don't think Max Payne has.

Dammit - I've spent way too much time talking about Max Payne. Must stop!

Sycophant
11-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Dammit - I've spent way too much time talking about Max Payne. Must stop!Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed by the length of my last post.

I should also admit I've been thoroughly out of touch with gaming circles and all my video game knowledge pretty much froze about five, six years ago.

But I love trashing on executives and I'm now curious about two authors I knew nothing about before. It's been fun!

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Now, it must be noted. If they are secretly developing Max Payne 3 to be released right before the film, and it reviews well, then I think the film might do okay.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I think it is a common misconception that a video game with a huge install base will translate into a financially successful film. People often site Halo as an example. They say that all they would have to do is make a Halo film and it would be HUGE. As of last week, Halo 3 has sold 4,135,051 copies. Its first week is sold roughly 2 million copies. That is really good for a video game. However, a huge successful film makes about, what, 50 million the opening weekend, and at around $10 a ticket - that translates into roughly 5 million tickets sold in a weekend.

Compared to how many people out there who go to movies and don't care about Halo, this is barely a drop in the bucket. We often forget that people like us are so in tune to this electronic-pop-culture milieu that we often think that everyone else is. I talk to people online all day who are into the same things I am, and so it is easy to imagine that there most be a ton of people out there who are as well. But in reality, we are a niche - people who know and like the things we know and like are the minority.

What I am saying is that it takes more than the install base for a video game to make a movie financially successful.

DavidSeven
11-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Do you really think all of those people read the Lord of the Rings books? Do you think there are that many people who actually read and care about the Spider-Man and X-Men comics? All you need is an awareness, not a deep care, for your product for it to affect business. Tomb Raider made over $100 million because people were already aware of the sexual appeal of Lara Croft. The number of ticket purchasers who had a vested interest in the game itself was probably very limited.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Do you really think all of those people read the Lord of the Rings books? Do you think there are that many people who actually read and care about the Spider-Man and X-Men comics? All you need is an awareness, not a deep care, for your product for it to affect business. Tomb Raider made over $100 million because people were already aware of the sexual appeal of Lara Croft. The number of ticket purchasers who had a vested interest in the game itself was probably very limited.

What you need, beyond a previous install base, is mind share. Look at the Resident Evil films as an example. They continue to do okay because the Resident Evil franchise has continued to gain mind share. They have made more, and better, games, and have stayed fresh in the minds of those who care about these kinds of things. Max Payne has not. This is considered a tired franchise by many gamers, and is probably not even a blip on the radar for the vast majority of non-gamers. Tomb Raider had it's star Lara Croft. Lara Croft seeped into the minds of gamers and non-gamers alike; she was on the cover of magazines, appeared in U2's concert videos, and all kinds of things. Max Payne has not. This franchise has not transcended its original medium.

Max Payne is a dead franchise. There is no reason to base a movie on it because it has not stayed fresh in the minds of those who might care about this kind of thing.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Max Payne is a dead franchise. There is no reason to base a movie on it because it has not stayed fresh in the minds of those who might care about this kind of thing.

Well if your whole point boils down to the fact that Max Payne has been out for too long for people to care anymore, then what is the difference between it and the Marlowe books of Chandler? Those were written from the '30s to the '50s, and are no longer bestsellers...I'd say that constitutes a dead franchise.

Sure they're still studied in school...but there are also people who still play Max Payne.

Besides, I don't think your point of it being pointless to make films out of dead franchises really has much merit, especially when stuff like this happens...

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6750/206170starskyhutchpostewb5.jpg

Gross: $88 million

or...

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8466/avpscreeninghg5.jpg

Gross: $80 million

Not only was that one based on two dead franchises, but also partly based on a video game, and is even spawning a sequel.

Or how about the new Star Trek movie? If there was ever a dead franchise, it'd be Star Trek.

Or how about the new Battlestar Galactica show? That show was not only dead, it was buried and rotting. Yet they made a new one and it's one of the most popular shows on TV.

D_Davis
11-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Popular TV shows and movies have a much bigger install base than a B-level video game, and Max Payne was never considered a AAA title. On the PC it was for its tech, remember they recreated the Matrix lobby sequence with the engine, but it only sold marginally well, and on the consoles it did only okay. Big name movies and old television shows are popular across a much bigger demographic, and they continue on in re-runs and on DVD, thus staying in the minds of the fans longer, so even if a large portion of the fan base looses interest, this still leaves a larger portion of those who care.

Star Trek has continued to gain new generations of fans, they make new shows, new books, and the appeal is often passed down from father to son, or mother to daughter. I don't see this kind of cross generational introduction happening with Max Payne.

megladon8
11-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Popular TV shows and movies have a much bigger install base than a B-level video game, and Max Payne was never considered a AAA title. On the PC it was for its tech, remember they recreated the Matrix lobby sequence with the engine, but it only sold marginally well, and on the consoles it did only okay. Big name movies and old television shows are popular across a much bigger demographic, and they continue on in re-runs and on DVD, thus staying in the minds of the fans longer, so even if a large portion of the fan base looses interest, this still leaves a larger portion of those who care.

Star Trek has continued to gain new generations of fans, they make new shows, new books, and the appeal is often passed down from father to son, or mother to daughter. I don't see this kind of cross generational introduction happening with Max Payne.

:frustrated:

I can never win with you!!

:)

rocus
11-09-2007, 11:00 PM
I hope they have the part were he is trying to follow the trail of blood and the baby is crying. That really freaked me out when I was playing the game at 11 at night.

number8
11-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Davis, you've been thinking backwards.

The only people who forgot or don't care about Max Payne's popularity anymore are gamers and that internet niche audience you're talking about, who have easily moved on. Like me, for example, I haven't thought about Max Payne for, like, years.

It was only recently that I was reminded of Max Payne when several of my young, 20-something, but not big gamer friends, came over and saw me playing Stranglehold, and said "Man, this was cooler when Max Payne did it first." They were in high school and college when that game came out and was right in the thrust of it, especially since it came out right after The Matrix and the popularity carried over to Max Payne's Bullet Time concept.

The only modern next-gen games these people know--which make up for the bulk of the target audience--are Halo, Tomb Raider and Max Payne. The kind of games that are hyped up in lad mags like Maxim and shit.

monolith94
11-11-2007, 05:19 PM
I just think that Max Payne was a great, great game and I'd love to direct it myself. So that it doesn't get fucked up. But obviously that won't happen. The studio will probably do a bad job.

[ETM]
11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I wanted Sebastian Spence for Payne...

number8
11-11-2007, 06:47 PM
They could've gone with the original voice actor. He played Dennis Leary's dead cousin in Rescue Me and he kinda looks the part.

lovejuice
11-11-2007, 07:07 PM
well, i can't contribute much to an already well discussed topic, only that i'm with davis. nowadays movies based on video games have both fan-base and anti-fan. it's hard to convince me and other non-gamers to sit through anything based on this interactive entertainment. (i love shoot 'em up trailer, but even that and good reviews can't convince me to see it in theater.) don't you think a crappy track record of vg-adaptations will instantaneously turn people off?

unless of course they have no intension of making this into a good movie, and want a quick sale. then i can see the point.

Sycophant
11-11-2007, 07:32 PM
(i love shoot 'em up trailer, but even that and good reviews can't convince me to see it in theater.) Perhaps I miss your point, but Shoot 'Em Up was not a video game adaptation.

lovejuice
11-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Perhaps I miss your point, but Shoot 'Em Up was not a video game adaptation.

oop! i always thought it was. :red:
doesn't invalidate my point though. only misunderstand it were one is enough to turn me off.

Watashi
04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Entertainment Weekly reports that Chris O'Donnell has landed a role opposte Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis and Beau Bridges in Max Payne, 20th Century Fox's big screen adaptation of the video game.

The John Moore-directed action-adventure centers on a cop (Wahlberg), haunted by the death of his family, who's hot on the heels of a series of new murders. O'Donnell will play executive Jason Colvin.

The film is currently shooting in Toronto for an October 17 release.

This cast just keeps on getting better and better!

Ivan Drago
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
This cast just keeps on getting better and better!

Are you being sarcastic?

I ask because...when was the last time Chris O'Donnell was in a movie? Batman and Robin?

Saya
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
First trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JboQmDIdKWs)

Looks ok to me. Seems like a fun action movie. What that heaven / hell stuff in the game as well (never played it)?

Edit: Alternate link for the trailer, but this site is a bit slow (http://mm.filmweb.pl/234006/INTL_TRLR_A_HiRes_CD.mov)

number8
07-10-2008, 10:21 AM
That actually has more interesting visuals than I was expecting. The game was really heavy on freaky drug hallucinations and had this whole fetish with Ragnarok. I guess they're sort of incorporating that aspect too.

Skitch
07-10-2008, 11:41 AM
WOW consider my expectations blown away.

megladon8
07-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Um...holy crap.

That actually looks pretty cool.

But I'll keep my expectations in check. It could end up being another pretty-yet-inept action movie (Hitman, Wanted...)

Dukefrukem
07-10-2008, 01:21 PM
WOW consider my expectations blown away.

i was gonna say the same thing........... wow!

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
That does look like it might be pretty good.

Color me surprised.

I still say the MP license is a waste and the film would greatly benefit from divorcing itself from a forgotten video game.

Just change the dude's name to Mark Target or something....

:|

But, as far as video game adaptations go, this one actually looks like it is worth checking out.

Ivan Drago
07-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm sure there will be some magical way this will suck. Same as every video game movie.

Dukefrukem
07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm sure there will be some magical way this will suck. Same as every video game movie.

I don't like how people write Silent Hill off as suckage. I enjoyed it, being a huge fan of the game. We needed more Pyramid head, but I am looking forward to the 2nd movie.

Skitch
07-10-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't like how people write Silent Hill off as suckage. I enjoyed it, being a huge fan of the game. We needed more Pyramid head, but I am looking forward to the 2nd movie.

Me too...I really liked the first one.

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 05:22 PM

It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Rowland
07-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Silent Hill improves in my mind in retrospect, I look forward to renting it sometime in the near-future. I've always been an unashamed supporter of Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil, they are both fun movies, Doom isn't half as bad as it could have been, and I admire the serious artistic ambition driving Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, even if I find the final product devoid of life.

I expected this to at least look respectable from a visual perspective, since the director John Moore has a strong sense of glossy style.

Skitch
07-10-2008, 06:54 PM
It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

See more movies.

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 07:00 PM
See more movies.

It only took an hour or so for this response.

A little slower than I had anticipated.

This should definitely be moved to the pet peeve thread.

Do I need to post a number of how many films I've seen to accomodate you?

How many will be sufficient?

Lets see...

My own personal collection of DVDs and VHS cassettes is around 1500 titles.

I've probably seen more than this, as I pretty much quit buying movies a couple of years ago, and I've seen some films that I don't own. I also watched movies before I started buying them - crazy.

How many more do I need to see before I can declare Silent Hill crap?

Watashi
07-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Looks pretty terrible.

Skitch
07-10-2008, 07:04 PM
It only took an hour or so for this response.

A little slower than I had anticipated.

This should definitely be moved to the pet peeve thread.

Do I need to post a number of how many films I've seen to accomodate you?

How many will be sufficient?

Lets see...

My own personal collection of DVDs and VHS cassettes is around 1500 titles.

I've probably seen more than this, as I pretty much quit buying movies a couple of years ago, and I've seen some films that I don't own. I also watched movies before I started buying them - crazy.

How many more do I need to see before I can declare Silent Hill crap?

Geez man, relax! You anticipated that response, I didn't want to leave you hangin'!

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Geez man, relax! You anticipated that response, I didn't want to leave you hangin'!

I just want to make sure I've seen enough movies so that my opinion is valid.

These things change all the time, and I haven't been around for a month or so, so I'm not sure what the requisite-number-of-films-seen is now.

Skitch
07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I just want to make sure I've seen enough movies so that my opinion is valid.

These things change all the time, and I haven't been around for a month or so, so I'm not sure what the requisite-number-of-films-seen is now.

None! Its just my response to anyone who says 'worst thing ever' and isn't talking about Manos!

Watashi
07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
To be honest, I'm anticipitating Punisher War Zone more than this. At least that's rated R.

Both look terrible, though. Hopefully they will prove me wrong like Wanted did.

eternity
07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
It's visually impressive, I guess.

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
None! Its just my response to anyone who says 'worst thing ever' and isn't talking about Manos!

I said "one of."

Although I would rather watch the MST version of Manos than the Hill, and I bet an MST version the Hill would be awesome.

How many films would I have had to see to declare SH a good movie?

If I would have said that it was one of the best movies I've ever seen, would you have said, "See more movies"?

Skitch
07-10-2008, 07:20 PM
If I would have said that it was one of the best movies I've ever seen, would you have said, "See more movies"?

Yeah, I would.

Silent Hill at most loathed would still rate a mediocre film. I can't see how anyone would put it in any best or worst ever category, at the very least it was shot well, and the score was solid.

So basically what I'm saying is you getting bent out of shape at the 'see more movies' response is as irritating as someone overhating or overloving a film that is not obviously horrid or fantastic.

Better?

Sycophant
07-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I still say the MP license is a waste and the film would greatly benefit from divorcing itself from a forgotten video game.

:|Haven't seen the trailer yet (at work), and far be it from me to resurrect a five-month-old argument, but how do you think the film would benefit from removing itself from its source material. Not that it's feasible at this point, of course, nor would it necessarily have been made without it, but what would it gain from rejecting its admittedly small built-in fanbase.

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
So basically what I'm saying is you getting bent out of shape at the 'see more movies' response is as irritating as someone overhating or overloving a film that is not obviously horrid or fantastic.

Better?

No, it's not.

I am not over blowing anything.

In my own personal experience of watching films, Silent Hill is one of the worst films I've seen and one of the least enjoyable experiences I've had with a film.

Whether I've seen 5 films, or 5000, it doesn't matter. It's all relative; my opinion is based on the microcosm of my own experiences - it's all I got.

Skitch
07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
You sincerely consider Silent Hill THAT poorly made? Really?

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Haven't seen the trailer yet (at work), and far be it from me to resurrect a five-month-old argument, but how do you think the film would benefit from removing itself from its source material. Not that it's feasible at this point, of course, nor would it necessarily have been made without it, but what would it gain from rejecting its admittedly small built-in fanbase.

I think it would have a better chance of being taken seriously and treated with more respect without the negative baggage people often associate to video games and movies based on video games.

I love how much time we've spent talking about Max Payne.

I can't recall the last film I've written this much about!

:lol:

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
You sincerely consider Silent Hill THAT poorly made? Really?

For reals, yo.

And the fan response to my opinion has only strengthened it. I was told on RT that I should kill myself for not liking what is so obviously a masterpiece.

Amazing.

Acapelli
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
this makes me want to play the game again

Skitch
07-10-2008, 07:38 PM
For reals, yo.

And the fan response to my opinion has only strengthened it. I was told on RT that I should kill myself for not liking what is so obviously a masterpiece.

Amazing.

And was that me? Just because I enjoy the film, I'm lumped it with some fucking moron on another site?

Morris Schæffer
07-10-2008, 07:40 PM

Less beasties would really have been appreciated by me considering that the movie is far shorter than the game. I recall the game to also sport long stretches of just atmosphere. Another example of Hollywood distrusting audiences? Or a maniacal desire to cram in as much as possible? Those critters never made much sense to me. Not in the game nor in the movie, but hey something has to keep the interactive aspect going right? No doubt Alan Wake will succumb to the same flaw. One day, a Silent Hill-style videogame will be released and it will have no cannon fodder of any kind and it will still be utterly brilliant. We're not there yet however.

I love Cannon Fodder btw. That's Cannon Fodder by Sensible Software.

EDIT: Oh, and I will continue to believe in videogame adaptations till the day I die. God I'd love to see one succeed.

Rowland
07-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I admire how willingly Gans allowed Silent Hill to coast on surreal storytelling and image-making. The first half almost plays out like a nightmare. The second half gets bogged down in exposition, but he keeps the movie engaging, unpredictable, aethetically stimulating, and as a whole in its subtexts.

D_Davis
07-10-2008, 07:48 PM
And was that me? Just because I enjoy the film, I'm lumped it with some fucking moron on another site?

No, that wasn't you. Some other person who is not you.

Ezee E
07-10-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm with D on this one. Silent Hill is all kinds of bad.

Morris Schæffer
07-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm not convinced at all. One of the game's coolest aspects, the slow-mo gun battles naturally, will likely be horrendously unoriginal in movie form courtesy of Woo and The Matrix. So what will be left? I'll see it, but I just can't seem to be getting rid of the nasty taste left by Hitman, a colossal stinker.

Qrazy
07-11-2008, 12:51 AM
I am not comparing the films, but I am comparing how I think the marketing will happen, and the general outcome of the film. I believe that Max Payne, like Snakes, will make a huge splash with the online/video game community, but it will only make a minor ripple in the theaters and the real world, because when it comes down to it, the online/video game community who cares about the Max Payne franchise is very small when compared to the general populace.

It is also my contention that a well-made and properly marketed film based off of a Chandler or Hammett novel would do better financially, and with the critics, because outside of the video game culture, I believe that these two authors and the characters they created are generally more well known than Max Payne.

I could be totally wrong, no big deal, but this is my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Once this film is released, we'll see if I am wrong. Who knows, it could turn out to be a masterful film.

The film will likely not be good, you're right about that.

You are wrong however about the built-in audience and the people that go see movies these days. You're also wrong about the scope of the gaming community. For example, 10 million people are currently subscribed to World of Warcraft.

Qrazy
07-11-2008, 01:05 AM
I think it is a common misconception that a video game with a huge install base will translate into a financially successful film. People often site Halo as an example. They say that all they would have to do is make a Halo film and it would be HUGE. As of last week, Halo 3 has sold 4,135,051 copies. Its first week is sold roughly 2 million copies. That is really good for a video game. However, a huge successful film makes about, what, 50 million the opening weekend, and at around $10 a ticket - that translates into roughly 5 million tickets sold in a weekend.

Compared to how many people out there who go to movies and don't care about Halo, this is barely a drop in the bucket. We often forget that people like us are so in tune to this electronic-pop-culture milieu that we often think that everyone else is. I talk to people online all day who are into the same things I am, and so it is easy to imagine that there most be a ton of people out there who are as well. But in reality, we are a niche - people who know and like the things we know and like are the minority.

What I am saying is that it takes more than the install base for a video game to make a movie financially successful.

No offense man but your statistics are very, very poor. They're almost entirely circumstantially fabricated (based on personal experience) or top down concoctions based on game sales. That's just not how stats work. You're ignoring rentals, word of mouth and just in general there's a huge audience for superhero/video-game adaptations right now. Studio execs make a lot of crap but if they know one thing it's business.

Qrazy
07-11-2008, 01:13 AM
That does look like it might be pretty good.

Color me surprised.

:|

But, as far as video game adaptations go, this one actually looks like it is worth checking out.

That's just absurd, even if the games have faded somewhat from the collective consciousness, the name reference in and of itself will garner attention.

Also just watched the trailer and was pleasantly surprised. I'm loving all the work The Wire actors are getting these days.

Qrazy
07-11-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm not convinced at all. One of the game's coolest aspects, the slow-mo gun battles naturally, will likely be horrendously unoriginal in movie form courtesy of Woo and The Matrix. So what will be left? I'll see it, but I just can't seem to be getting rid of the nasty taste left by Hitman, a colossal stinker.

The Payne character has a more emotionally involving backstory than Hitman or even Neo so if done right it could give some gravitas to the action... also the psychedelic side. But yeah the trailer looks above average, not great.

D_Davis
07-11-2008, 01:26 AM
For example, 10 million people are currently subscribed to World of Warcraft.

I know - I am one of them.

Let's go over to Gamefaqs (arguably the largest gaming community on the net, NEOGAF might be bigger, but GF has definitely been around the longest (actually the first real website I ever went to)), and check out the topics for the Max Payne film:

On the PC boards (where the game originated in 2001):

There are 5 active threads, 1 about the movie, with 2 posts.

The game was also released on the PS2:

On these boards there are 5 active threads, 1 about the movie, with 1 post.

There is 1 open thread on the XBOX boards:

On the Movie: Theater boards, there is 1 topic on the front page, with 40 posts.

A general search of Max Payne on all platforms yields no other returns.

I also listen to the following video game podcasts on a weekly basis:

1Up Yours
Game Theory
Giantbombcast
Retronauts
Three Red Lights
Podcast Beyond
Gamescoop
1Up FM
GFW Radio

I honestly cannot recall the last time I heard the words "Max Payne" on any of these shows since the movie was first announced - and on these shows the hosts often talk about movies in short off topic discussions. I'm sure they've discussed it (why wouldn't they?) but it hasn't been enough to stand out.

Again, I could be wrong, no big deal. There could be a massive following for Max Payne that I am just not aware of. However, I still believe that this franchise has lots its mind share with many video game players, and I doubt its relevance in attracting a huge audience because of the video game.

Had this film been made in 2002 or 3, when the game was on the tips of tongues, and 3D Realms, its publisher, and GoD, its developer, still mattered, then I would be singing a different tune.

As of 2008, the franchise has sold 7 million copies across a number of platforms (PC, PS2, XBOX, Mac) and 1 sequel. That's a respectable figure...

But, to put that into perspective, Halo 3 sold over 8 million units in less than a year, on 1 system.

I talk to a lot of gamers and read a lot about games and I just don't see the love for this film. I could just have blinders on though because of my general disgust for movies based on video games, this is a very real possibility.

I am curious though about opening figures for this. I could totally eat crow, and I hope the film is as good as it can be.

But enough with this nerdy shit, I gotta go finish writing the first scenario for the TMNT campaign I am starting to run this weekend.

Qrazy
07-11-2008, 01:32 AM
There's such a thing as rebooting a franchise though... albeit in a different medium. Lots of people had a sour taste left in their mouths after the last couple Batman films but Begins still made bank and there was still an audience for it. Max Payne hasn't gone into real promotional mode yet. When it does I'm guessing we'll see more buzz. But as someone else mentioned generating buzz is more about having the name of the product out there. Although it's faded from consciousness Max Payne as a product has good word of mouth which will be reinvigorated once they start advertising.

Did you ever play Asheron's Call? That was a great game. I have kept myself from playing WoW because I know I'll become hopelessly addicted and that will be the end of my life.

D_Davis
07-11-2008, 01:51 AM
I agree - they could totally pull a media blitz and really reboot the franchise.

Like Diablo 2, we could see sales of MP actually pick up again.

Who knows, with E3 coming up, we could actually see something new, or hear of a big announcement.

I just don't see it happening.

I think gamers have moved on to bigger and better things.

I never played Asheron's Call. I avoided MMORPGS like the plague until about a month ago, when I had a strong itch for a newer dungeon cralwer that would run on my old PC and laptop. Since Titan's Quest wouldn't, WOW it was.

monolith94
07-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Max Payne is one of my personal top-10 favorite games. Love it. The trailer looks... decent.

megladon8
07-11-2008, 03:28 AM
I can't believe this argument is still going on.

Max Payne came out several years ago.

They're making the movie now.

Will it make money? Who knows.

End of story.

Sycophant
07-11-2008, 03:32 AM
DISCUSSING/DEBATING/ARGUING IS FUN.

megladon8
07-11-2008, 03:35 AM

Yes it is, but it's the same thing being said over and over and over, and it's an issue that's several months old.

Qrazy
07-11-2008, 03:41 AM
Yes it is, but it's the same thing being said over and over and over, and it's an issue that's several months old.

That doesn't make the side I'm on any less right. [/standard position for all arguments]

DavidSeven
07-11-2008, 04:12 AM
I don't see how Davis' statistics are even relevant. Of all the people that purchase a ticket to Max Payne, only a very, very small percentage of them will have played the game. However, nearly all of them will know the name and the character through marketing efforts from the video game manufacturer and general word-of-mouth. Who cares what gamers think? It's like someone thinking the Spider-Man franchise would tank because the last storyline in the comic book really pissed off all the comic book geeks. How many people who bought a ticket to see Spider-Man had actually bought a Spider-Man comic in their lifetime beforehand? 1%? Probably less?

Qrazy
07-11-2008, 04:49 AM
I don't see how Davis' statistics are even relevant. Of all the people that purchase a ticket to Max Payne, only a very, very small percentage of them will have played the game. However, nearly all of them will know the name and the character through marketing efforts from the video game manufacturer and general word-of-mouth. Who cares what gamers think? It's like someone thinking the Spider-Man franchise would tank because the last storyline in the comic book really pissed off all the comic book geeks. How many people who bought a ticket to see Spider-Man had actually bought a Spider-Man comic in their lifetime beforehand? 1%? Probably less?

Well yes, this is also what I meant.

D_Davis
07-11-2008, 04:54 AM

Especially about movies as irrelevant as Max Payne!

eternity
07-11-2008, 05:32 AM

This.

Qrazy
07-11-2008, 05:36 AM
This.

You're not allowed to have an opinion, you're only 15.

Joking! :lol:

Dukefrukem
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
wait... this movie is PG-13?

Dukefrukem
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I know - I am one of them.

Let's go over to Gamefaqs (arguably the largest gaming community on the net, NEOGAF might be bigger, but GF has definitely been around the longest (actually the first real website I ever went to)), and check out the topics for the Max Payne film:

On the PC boards (where the game originated in 2001):

There are 5 active threads, 1 about the movie, with 2 posts.

The game was also released on the PS2:

On these boards there are 5 active threads, 1 about the movie, with 1 post.

There is 1 open thread on the XBOX boards:

On the Movie: Theater boards, there is 1 topic on the front page, with 40 posts.

A general search of Max Payne on all platforms yields no other returns.

I also listen to the following video game podcasts on a weekly basis:

1Up Yours
Game Theory
Giantbombcast
Retronauts
Three Red Lights
Podcast Beyond
Gamescoop
1Up FM
GFW Radio

I honestly cannot recall the last time I heard the words "Max Payne" on any of these shows since the movie was first announced - and on these shows the hosts often talk about movies in short off topic discussions. I'm sure they've discussed it (why wouldn't they?) but it hasn't been enough to stand out.

Again, I could be wrong, no big deal. There could be a massive following for Max Payne that I am just not aware of. However, I still believe that this franchise has lots its mind share with many video game players, and I doubt its relevance in attracting a huge audience because of the video game.

Had this film been made in 2002 or 3, when the game was on the tips of tongues, and 3D Realms, its publisher, and GoD, its developer, still mattered, then I would be singing a different tune.

As of 2008, the franchise has sold 7 million copies across a number of platforms (PC, PS2, XBOX, Mac) and 1 sequel. That's a respectable figure...

But, to put that into perspective, Halo 3 sold over 8 million units in less than a year, on 1 system.

I talk to a lot of gamers and read a lot about games and I just don't see the love for this film. I could just have blinders on though because of my general disgust for movies based on video games, this is a very real possibility.

I am curious though about opening figures for this. I could totally eat crow, and I hope the film is as good as it can be.

But enough with this nerdy shit, I gotta go finish writing the first scenario for the TMNT campaign I am starting to run this weekend.

1) You're forgetting the most important place (http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12) on Max Payne discussion.

2) You know there's a third game in the works right?

D_Davis
07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
2) You know there's a third game in the works right?

No I didn't. But like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see something at E3 to coincide with the film's release. This would be a smart thing to do to inject new life into the franchise. A one-two punch to increase mind share.

Maybe we'll get a Duke Nukem Forever film as well!

Dukefrukem
07-11-2008, 02:18 PM
highly unlikely on both statements.

Morris Schæffer
07-12-2008, 08:57 AM
720p version of trailer:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m5r6x0

eternity
07-12-2008, 08:11 PM
You're not allowed to have an opinion, you're only 15.

Joking! :lol:

You son of a bitch. :evil:

megladon8
07-13-2008, 09:38 PM
I love the idea of seeing the Angel of Death take someone's soul away when they die.

Very cool.

I hope the movie delivers.

number8
07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
My recap of the Comic Con panel (http://www.justpressplay.net/comic-con-08/919-comic-con-08/3762-comic-con-08-20th-century-fox-the-day-the-earth-stood-still-max-payne-wolverine.html)

Morris Schæffer
08-12-2008, 12:56 PM
http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Jaap_van_Nes/200808/1218473907_1_3.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Jaap_van_Nes/200808/1218473907_2_3.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Jaap_van_Nes/200808/1218473907_0_3.jpg

megladon8
08-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm kinda tired of the whole one-handed-shotgun thing.

It's stupid.

Morris Schæffer
08-13-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm kinda tired of the whole one-handed-shotgun thing.

It's stupid.

Yeah, especially the one-handed-shotgun-while-aiming-at-cockroaches thing.:)

megladon8
08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah, especially the one-handed-shotgun-while-aiming-at-cockroaches thing.:)

But seriously...are today's filmmakers totally unaware of the fact that shooting a shotgun with one hand is pretty much impossible?

Even if you manage to do it with shattering your wrist and/or elbow, you're not gonna come close to hitting what you're aiming at, because the recoil is so strong.

Morris Schæffer
08-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I remember Arnold doing this cool thing in T2 when the canal chase begins, but yeah, otherwise it's kind of impossible I suppose. Maybe Max is merely taunting an already defeated villain in that sequence?

This flick could be deeper than we thought Meg!

megladon8
08-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I remember Arnold doing this cool thing in T2 when the canal chase begins, but yeah, otherwise it's kind of impossible I suppose. Maybe Max is merely taunting an already defeated villain in that sequence?

Yeah, but I see the whole "he's actually a near-indestructible robot" as being a pretty sufficient excuse.

Plus, it's T2 - one of the greatest action flicks of all time, man.

This flick could be deeper than we thought Meg!

I somehow doubt that :lol: But it does look visually impressive. I'm hoping it's an entertaining action film, and that it has some well-put-together action sequences. If I can say that much for it, then I'll be happy.

It's astounding how many action films these days have crappy action sequences.

Acapelli
08-14-2008, 03:29 AM

But seriously...are today's filmmakers totally unaware of the fact that shooting a shotgun with one hand is pretty much impossible?

Even if you manage to do it with shattering your wrist and/or elbow, you're not gonna come close to hitting what you're aiming at, because the recoil is so strong.
yes, because they should strive for realism in a movie based on a videogame

megladon8
08-14-2008, 02:09 PM

So what if it's based on a video game?

Movies still have rules, too, based in their own world.

You wouldn't see Aragorn suddenly take off and fly away into the sunset in Lord of the Rings, and it's a fantasy movie.

People can't shoot shotguns with one hand. I don't care how buff or Mark Wahlberg you are.

Morris Schæffer
08-14-2008, 02:13 PM

Why shouldn't they? Can a dark, twisted and genuinely thrilling cop adventure not be adapted from Remedy's game?

It's precisely this carefree attitude that has led to many a videogame adaptation fall into the hands of Uwe Boll.

When Hollywood doesn't care, we get Batman and Robin. When it does, we get The Dark Knight which is, for me at least, the first genuinely, legitimately powerful movie adapted from a comic.

Why don't videogames deserve the same quality treatment? Granted, you probably couldn't fashion something powerful and everlasting from Mario Brothers, but Max Payne?

Kurosawa Fan
08-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/maxpayne/)

Better quality anyway.

No thanks on the movie.

megladon8
08-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Right after the 20th Century Fox logo shows in the trailer, there's a scene where a woman is in an alley, and sees the silhouette of one of those angel things.

That woman looks exactly like Olga Kurylenko. In fact, I think it is here - however, her name is not on the cast list, on IMDb, or anything to do with the movie.

Does anyone know who that is?

Morris Schæffer
08-29-2008, 09:32 AM
new trailer:

http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/

Top of the page.

Or direct link:

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sid=70700460&sdm=web&pt=rd

EDIT: Looks promising for what it is. Still not sure about the angels and apocalytpic imagery though.

megladon8
08-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I really like that they seem to be doing something different with it, with the Valkyrie and hallucinogenic imagery.

It could have easily fallen into "generic revenge flick with 'Max Payne' license thrown on", but it looks like there's potential here.

And the Marilyn Mandon song fits the trailer perfectly.

Not too thrilled about the Mila Kunis casting.

And yeah, that had to be Olga Kurylenko. There's no question in my mind, it's her.

Dukefrukem
08-29-2008, 05:13 PM
what did he say those winded creatures were?

Balcre?

edit: Valkyrus?

Qrazy
08-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Winged.

Valkyrie.

Sxottlan
08-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Someone on another site mentioned how there was a lot of talk of Norse mythology in the game. I guess they're making it literal.

Looks good enough that I'll check it out.

Acapelli
08-31-2008, 04:07 AM
Someone on another site mentioned how there was a lot of talk of Norse mythology in the game. I guess they're making it literal.

Looks good enough that I'll check it out.
yup, mostly about ragnarok

number8
09-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Hey, Marlo.

megladon8
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I can't believe the director is fighting for a PG-13 rating. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169796)

This movie is officially going to be ass now.

Dukefrukem
09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
That's disappointing...

Grouchy
09-09-2008, 05:48 PM
I can't believe the director is fighting for a PG-13 rating. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169796)

This movie is officially going to be ass now.
Well... he's not saying he did the movie with a PG-13 rating in mind. He's just saying that it seems ridiculous for his movie to get an R when The Dark Knight got PG-13.

Here's a good question. Had the Batman movie been R, how significantly less would it have made in the box office? I mean, I'm sure some theaters in US let people under 17 pass. It's fucking Batman. And as for the publicity, there was enough of it on billboards and on TV.

megladon8
09-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Well... he's not saying he did the movie with a PG-13 rating in mind. He's just saying that it seems ridiculous for his movie to get an R when The Dark Knight got PG-13.

Here's a good question. Had the Batman movie been R, how significantly less would it have made in the box office? I mean, I'm sure some theaters in US let people under 17 pass. It's fucking Batman. And as for the publicity, there was enough of it on billboards and on TV.

I don't think an R rating would have affected it at all.

I really didn't see many kids in the theatre when I went.

Plus, plenty of other movies have shown that the "you make more money with PG-13" thing is bullshit. Look at The Matrix and its sequels.

MadMan
09-10-2008, 01:48 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this movie looks kind of cool? Maybe. And I know that the fact that its a video game adaption raises its chances of being terrible.

megladon8
09-10-2008, 03:33 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this movie looks kind of cool? Maybe. And I know that the fact that its a video game adaption raises its chances of being terrible.

I thought it looked like a cool, dark, uber-violent action film.

My hopes were thrown out the window when I read it's been pussified.

Watashi
09-10-2008, 03:34 AM
I thought it looked like a cool, dark, uber-violent action film.

My hopes were thrown out the window when I read it's been pussified.
You do realize that the film is still Rated R? The director was hoping the MPAA wouldn't care and slap on a PG-13 rating so it could make more money.

megladon8
09-10-2008, 03:43 AM
You do realize that the film is still Rated R? The director was hoping the MPAA wouldn't care and slap on a PG-13 rating so it could make more money.

Yes I do realize this - but I'm imagining a very tame, un-violent/gory/explicit R.

I don't understand why anyone would strive to make a PG-13 movie for a game that was VERY 'M' rated.

Skitch
09-10-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm totally in the seat for it. I even broke out the game to play through again, bloodlines and all.

number8
09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Max Payne was gory?

Skitch
09-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Shootings and some beatings with bats...nothing seriously over the top that I recall...

D_Davis
10-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Looks like I was wrong - people cared enough to make this #1.

Very sad. The #1 movie in America is based off of a mediocre video game, and the #2 movie stars talking dogs.

I love 'merica.

Sven
10-20-2008, 04:57 PM

Very sad. The #1 movie in America is based off of a mediocre video game, and the #2 movie stars talking dogs.

I love 'merica.

Oh, don't get all elitist now. ;)

Spinal
10-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Gotta admit ... I saw the trailer and thought it looked kinda cool. Haven't really checked the reviews, but I could see getting sucked into this one.

D_Davis
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Oh, don't get all elitist now. ;)

I'm just a faggy socialist European.

monolith94
10-20-2008, 05:47 PM

I love 'merica.

mediocre in your opinion. I loved Max Payne.

D_Davis
10-20-2008, 06:03 PM
mediocre in your opinion. I loved Max Payne.

True. It is my opinion.

Ezee E
10-20-2008, 06:06 PM
I also thought the look of it was pretty sweet. I may see it.

megladon8
10-20-2008, 07:56 PM
This is one of those cases where the movie really did need to be rated R.

MadMan
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Well the reviews are scaring me off, but the action junkie within means that I will be renting this movie when it comes out on DVD.

Qrazy
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Gotta admit ... I saw the trailer and thought it looked kinda cool. Haven't really checked the reviews, but I could see getting sucked into this one.

The reviews have been god awful.

number8
10-20-2008, 08:43 PM
This is one of those cases where the movie really did need to be rated R.

But... why?

EDIT: for the record, the MPAA wanted to give it an R because of its violence, but the director appealed several times and they finally gave him the PG-13.

megladon8
10-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Like Alien vs. Predator, the logic behind making it PG-13 just doesn't make sense. Two franchises known for their extreme violence and gore...yet they made the first movie a very clean-cut film and it suffered due to that (and also that it was just a piece of crap anyways).

Max Payne was VERY R-rated in the game - swearing, drugs, ultraviolence and gore, and even the story and themes were not particularly kid-friendly.

Assuming the script isn't exactly going to be remembered come Awards season, they could have at least made it something fun to watch with lots of over-the-top, gory ass-kicking.

It doesn't make sense to me why they'd try to make a PG-13 property out of this.

What'll they do next? Make a PG-13 Saw vs. Hostel movie?

Skitch
10-20-2008, 09:56 PM
I would call it mediocre +2 with an affinity for terrible crowds that will completely invalidate my review.

:evil:

eternity
10-20-2008, 10:53 PM
I just can't understand it, HOW do they keep fucking this up so badly? Especially Max Payne...

3/10

D_Davis
10-20-2008, 10:59 PM
I just can't understand it, HOW do they keep fucking this up so badly?

Because people keep paying to see these shitty video game movies, and so they keep making them without any need of putting any ounce of anything resembling quality into them. Why try when they can skate by with as little effort as possible and still make money?

Dukefrukem
10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I didn't think it was too bad. Certainly not great but it could have been a lot worse.

balmakboor
10-30-2008, 06:07 PM
I didn't think it was too bad. Certainly not great but it could have been a lot worse.

Now that's what I call backhanded praise.