PDA

View Full Version : exercise thread

Pages : [1] 2

monolith94
06-27-2008, 08:09 PM
O, hai.

I looked through all of the other forum pages.

I wasn't able to find a thread about exercise.

So this is where we can talk about it, I think.

I have a few questions that I'd like to share.

If, say, I have a diet consistent with the past,

and I start exercising 4 miles of walking every

two or three days, am I guaranteed to lose at

least some weight?

k thx

Benny Profane
06-27-2008, 08:16 PM
You will lose weight if you are at a caloric deficit. If the calories lost by walking 4 miles pushes you into a deficit, then it will be impossible not to lose weight.

monolith94
06-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Sweet.

Excuse me now, I'm off to have some biscuits with chicken & gravy.

Ezee E
06-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a feeling that the amount of people on Match Cut that regularly exercise is about the amount of fingers on my hand.

megladon8
06-27-2008, 10:00 PM
I bike every day, and play frisbee quite often.

I stopped actively working out, because it's really hard for me to stay motivated when I'm just by myself in my basement.

So yeah...biking and frisbee is my exercise.

DavidSeven
06-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Chico's rule is sound, but to me, it seems diet is the key to losing weight while exercise is the key to keeping it off. With your current diet, have you maintained a steady weight over the years or have you been gradually putting on some pounds? If it's the latter, regular exercise may only help in preventing additional weight gain. Either way, it won't hurt.

DSNT
06-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I prefer exercise over diet. Most crash diets make you lose weight fast, but you just put it right back on when the diet is over. You should only lose between 1-2 lbs per week, which can be done with moderate exercise and eating well.

As for walking, depending on your speed, you would probably burn about 200 calories in an hour. Not a tremendous amount, but anything helps.

There are numerous sites that calculate how many calories you need per day. As long as you stay below your maintenance calories and work out a little bit doing anything (preferably daily), you will lose weight.

Ezee E
06-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I pretty much eat whatever I want. I eat mostly good food, my own cooking, and try not to have huge portions. Mix this with at least 3-4 days of working out, and I've maintained the same weight, but have turned fat into muscle, and feel great at all times.

Just get over that initial hump of hating when you work out, and then you'll start feeling good.

monolith94
06-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Well, part of it is jogging. What I'll do is I'll jog a quarter of a mile, and then walk three quarters to cool down.

Ezee E
06-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, part of it is jogging. What I'll do is I'll jog a quarter of a mile, and then walk three quarters to cool down.
Try to increase that jogging every day until you can run that entire mile.

monolith94
06-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Well, that's the plan, but it's been tough since I've started. I have really only a small amount of endurance for this sort of thing.

Ezee E
06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Well, that's the plan, but it's been tough since I've started. I have really only a small amount of endurance for this sort of thing.
A great way to get over the hump is finding someone else that will be dedicated to it as well. You plan on a time to meet a few days a week, and it'll prevent you from getting lazy. Plus, you guys can push each other to go a bit further.

Sycophant
06-28-2008, 02:45 PM
There was this one time that I did a push-up. It was intense.

But I walk a lot. Everywhere. So I've done a pretty good job of staying in shape lately, better than I ever have.

Hugh_Grant
06-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I like Wii Fit.

Dead & Messed Up
06-30-2008, 07:50 AM
I actually started exercise-biking a week and a half ago. I've been keeping it up, doing a half an hour every day. I'm thinking about alternating between that and weights, but I need to find a good regimen for myself.

Cool to see so many people going for it.

Wryan
07-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Just get over that initial hump of hating when you work out, and then you'll start feeling good.

Truth. Once it becomes ingrained, it's hard to NOT do it. I work out, on average, 5 times a week.

Wryan
07-01-2008, 06:35 PM
There was this one time that I did a push-up. It was intense.

"Jesus, Kevin! What, you been jumpin' rope in the attic!?"

"Uh.....I.........uh........pee led an orange.......bout an hour ago, why?"

megladon8
07-01-2008, 08:09 PM

So everyone has this?

Whenever I start a pan of working out regularly, the work-outs always leave be incredibly depressed, and feeling like I am totally worthless and it will never work.

What would get me down even more is that working out is supposed to release seratonin in your brain, and make you feel good.

But, I guess the fact that I have no seratonin in my brain to be released would make that hard...

Lucky
07-01-2008, 11:38 PM
"Jesus, Kevin! What, you been jumpin' rope in the attic!?"

"Uh.....I.........uh........pee led an orange.......bout an hour ago, why?"

:)

I really like his standup. The bank part and the Hallmark card joke are great, too.

I try to run at least twice a week and am usually pretty successful, although when I miss a week I tend to miss about three weeks in a row. Same goes for my sit ups/push ups/curls routine. I try to do that every day, but it ends up being about every other. Drinking always throws me off. I rarely exercise on days after I drink (like today).

megladon8
07-21-2008, 03:19 AM
So I've been eating pretty healthy lately. Not indulging in snack foods (chips, soda, chocolate bars, etc.) rarely ever eating any dessert, eating smaller portions of meals, and generally choosing healthier foods.

For example, when I'm hungry for a snack, I'll have a few raw carrots and some yogurt.

Add to that about an hour long bike ride every day.

However, I'm still gaining weight. I'm nearly 270 pounds now, and it's getting to the point where I am uncomfortable with my body.

So, I've decided that, starting tomorrow, I'm basically going to starve myself. A bit of fruit, some yogurt, maybe a very small portion of lean meat in a day. That's all.

This is getting ridiculous, and as far as I can see there's no reason why I should still be gaining, so I think this is my last option.

number8
07-21-2008, 03:25 AM
So Wii Fit turned me into an exercise hound.

megladon8
07-21-2008, 03:28 AM
So Wii Fit turned me into an exercise hound.

Does it actually give a good work out?

number8
07-21-2008, 03:33 AM
Does it actually give a good work out?

I think the common misconception about it is that it's just a collection of mini games that you do to sort of "exercise." But those mini games are just to hone your balance.

The actual workout parts are just exercise and yoga moves that you do with a virtual trainer showing you how and when to do the moves. It's very effective for me because the Wii Fit board charts your center of balance on the screen and you have to keep it steady. When you do, you're doing the push ups, jackknives, torso twists, etc. properly with a strong posture. Kind of like having a personal trainer holding you into position.

D_Davis
07-21-2008, 03:33 AM
I walk about a mile a day - probably a little more.

Also, my wife and I recently started playing racquetball, and that has been great.

Ever since I quit smoking - I think about three months ago - it has felt really good to get exercise.

I also cut my consumption of breakfast meat down quite a bit. I now eat a bowl of fruit most mornings for breakfast, and also for dinner. I've been eating a large lunch as my mine meal for a while now, and try to have just a light dinner like a salad or cheese plate.

I'm super skinny, and I used to hate being so skinny - in high school I never, ever wore shorts or short sleeve shirts. But now, I love it, and I don't want to get fat. For the first time in about 20 years, I'm actually happy with the way I look.

megladon8
07-21-2008, 03:35 AM
I'm envious of skinny people.

It seems I could eat a peanut and gain 10 pounds.

D_Davis
07-21-2008, 03:37 AM
I'm envious of skinny people.

It seems I could eat a peanut and gain 10 pounds.

I could eat 10 pounds of peanuts and not gain a single pound.

It's freaking crazy.

But the thing is, I don't eat much. I've never been one for seconds, and I prefer small portions. I've pretty much weighed the same for the last 15 years - crazy.

megladon8
07-21-2008, 03:40 AM
I could eat 10 pounds of peanuts and not gain a single pound.

It's freaking crazy.

But the thing is, I don't eat much. I've never been one for seconds, and I prefer small portions. I've pretty much weighed the same for the last 15 years - crazy.

Yeah, there are guys around here like that.

They get drunk every night of calorific beer, eat pizza and fast food every day, never work out for a millisecond of their life, and they have 6-pack abs and look like Greek Gods.

D_Davis
07-21-2008, 03:45 AM
I've never been a heavy, or light for that matter, drinker either.

I don't like the taste or how it makes me feel. I think I must be allergic to beer because it often gives me a stuffy nose.

When I was younger I hated eating because it got in the way of having fun. I'd eat just enough to be full, and then it was back to playing.

I've kind of kept this habit my whole life.

While I don't always eat as healthy as I should, I have been trying harder lately.

As far as snacking goes, I've always been more into crackers than sweets, and I don't like any kind of desert except for ice cream. I don't eat cake, or cup cakes, or any kind of pastries except for a donut every other week at work.

I did go through a big sugar cookie fix a few months ago.

I do really like candy though. Too much candy. I love candy. I eat a pack of Hot Tamales and Certs every day. That's probably really bad.

I definitely don't look like a greek god though! :)

More like Pee Wee Herman, or Ed Grimly.

megladon8
07-21-2008, 03:57 AM
OK so I've pretty much gotmy meal plan for tomorrow set up.

Breakfast - half a banana.

Later in the day, IF I have worked out, I'll treat myself to a raw carrot, and maybe some yogurt.

Later, again if I've exercised, maybe a very thin slice of lean turkey.

chrisnu
07-21-2008, 04:03 AM
You need to be careful with seriously cutting back your calories. Your body will begin to think that it's starving, and will slow down your metabolism accordingly.

megladon8
07-21-2008, 04:05 AM
You need to be careful with seriously cutting back your calories. Your body will begin to think that it's starving, and will slow down your metabolism accordingly.

Yes but that's the problem.

I better'd my food consumption according to advice from a nutritionist AND people who are very fit, and exercise every day, and still I am gaining weight.

So as a last desperate act, I am going to intentionally try to starve myself.

I just can't take this anymore.

I find myself disgusting to look at (moreso than usual) and I feel like a burlap sack full of shit.

D_Davis
07-21-2008, 04:11 AM
Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

megladon8
07-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

No, but my doctor is an idiot.

I have a sore stomach every day - I get heartburn just from drinking a glass of water. I have to take about 15 Rolaids a day to get by.

My doctor told me it's because I'm on the computer too much.

But because I am now 21 and don't have steady enough work to afford a better doctor, this is all I have right now.

Ezee E
07-21-2008, 04:42 AM
OK so I've pretty much gotmy meal plan for tomorrow set up.

Breakfast - half a banana.

Later in the day, IF I have worked out, I'll treat myself to a raw carrot, and maybe some yogurt.

Later, again if I've exercised, maybe a very thin slice of lean turkey.
By nighttime, you will put bullet in mouth.

I don't know man, you might want to consult a trainer at a gym maybe.

megladon8
07-21-2008, 04:53 AM
By nighttime, you will put bullet in mouth.

I don't know man, you might want to consult a trainer at a gym maybe.

If I made more than $100 every two weeks, maybe I would.

chrisnu
07-21-2008, 10:04 PM
If I made more than $100 every two weeks, maybe I would.
There's gotta be something available that'll bring in more money than that... right?

D_Davis
07-21-2008, 10:42 PM
There's gotta be something available that'll bring in more money than that... right?

If not, then I see a big move in your future.

megladon8
07-21-2008, 10:44 PM

Unfortunately, no, there's not.

D_Davis
07-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Unfortunately, no, there's not.

You can make more than that working fast food. I made on okay living - good enough to live on my own - working at El Pollo Loco for a few years.

megladon8
07-21-2008, 10:50 PM
You can make more than that working fast food. I made on okay living - good enough to live on my own - working at El Pollo Loco for a few years.

No, you cannot afford to live on your own here with a minimum wage job.

And maybe I've got a case of Mara's "job elitism" now, but after spending nearly $10,000 on an education, I don't much feel like going to a minimum wage fast food job. It's not like I am still in school, and could use that as a leg-up...I'm finished my education now. It's time to get my career going.

Sycophant
07-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Start looking for stuff to pay your bills as a clerk or a fast food employee or something and realize that for what you got your education in, you're probably going to have to be doing it on the side for at least the first few years. Or don't complain about it. You're only 21. You've got a long time to "make it." I don't know any 21-year-old who has his standards set as high as yours.

megladon8
07-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Start looking for stuff to pay your bills as a clerk or a fast food employee or something and realize that for what you got your education in, you're probably going to have to be doing it on the side for at least the first few years. Or don't complain about it. You're only 21. You've got a long time to "make it." I don't know any 21-year-old who has his standards set as high as yours.

I don't think I have high standards, I just don't want to work at McDonalds.

Working as a clerk or a fast food employee is minimum wage work, and I don't know what it's like in the States, but up here, you cannot live off that. It won't even cover rent, let alone bills and food.

Ezee E
07-21-2008, 11:07 PM
What's the difference between fast food and the bakery?

When are you starting the subtitles job?

D_Davis
07-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I worked fast food and retail until I was 26.

My last food job was Starbucks - I was 22 when I quit. Great job and a lot of fun.

Do you have a Starbucks up there? They also give benefits to part time employees.

I am not above any job when there are bills to be paid and fun to be had (fun that require a bit of $).

No, you cannot afford to live on your own here with a minimum wage job.

But you can make more than $100 every 2 weeks. Right?

Even at $5 an hour, at 40 hours a weak, that's like $600 a month after taxes. How much is minimum wage up there?

Ezee E
07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
I worked fast food and retail until I was 26.

My last food job was Starbucks - I was 22 when I quit. Great job and a lot of fun.

Do you have a Starbucks up there? They also give benefits to part time employees.

I am not above any job when there are bills to be paid and fun to be had (fun that require a bit of $).

But you can make more than $100 every 2 weeks. Right?

Even at $5 an hour, at 40 hours a weak, that's like $600 a month after taxes. How much is minimum wage up there?
I've worked for the same retail company since my senior year in high school. I've excelled with the company, and get paid pretty damn well right now. I'm waiting to get on with a fire department, or scriptwriting job (HAHAHAH!) so this will pay the bills.

I'm glad I stayed with this company because there's no way I'd be making this money if I quit every school year to go back with school. Instead, I'd drop down to parttime and work, but kept showing that I was a good worker.

On top of the money, I have built a good-looking resume with this company with management, program experience, and working with budgets.

Benny Profane
07-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I was talking to a trainer at my gym last week. He turned me onto some videos released by an all natural body builder “Vics Natural”.

These videos really break down the most common body building exercises and really show you, in detail, proper form.

I did his shoulder workout Friday and I have to say that with his slight adjustments in form, I got the best shoulder workout in years.

Check his stuff out for a great tutorial.

And yes, he does look like a roided out Bob Saget.

Click here (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vicsnatur al&search_type=&aq=0&oq=vics)

megladon8
07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Benny, I watched the shoulder workout one, and he actually made a point of stating that he wasn't counting reps, because there wasn't really any need to.

Yet he only did maybe 15-20 reps of each exercise.

Is that all that's needed in a day's workout? Do a variety of those exercises, with 15-20 good, solid reps each?

Or was he cutting down for the purpose of moving things along in the video?

Duncan
07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
meg, I just went to www.workopolis.ca, searched for "clerk" in the city of Ottawa, and got more than 1,000 hits. Many of those jobs probably require skills you don't have, and many are probably part time. But I guarantee if you get one of them you'll make more than $50 bucks a week. I mean, it cost me $54 just to fill up my car yesterday. I had plenty of summer jobs that were admittedly menial, but paid 8, 9, 10, 11 dollars an hour. I'm not you, but if it were me I'd get one of them.

Wryan
07-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Like Daniel, I have been skinny for most of my life (still lean, but more on that) and my metabolism is out of sight at 25 years old. In high school and even in college, I concentrated on my studies specifically because I wanted to develop my brain first and body later on down the road when I had a good career job. Because my dad was a big soccer nut and played when he was younger, I did play soccer for about 11 consecutive years, up to junior year in high school. Once I was out of college and grad school, and once I moved down here to Charleston to start a real, adult, career job, I finally had the chance to devote time to my fitness.

I didn't want to just be fit, I wanted a good physique. Since I have jack and shit to do when I'm not working, I work out 5 nights a week for about 35-45 minutes while watching some randomly selected movie. I was broke when I moved down here, so I did the standard stuff you can do without access to machines and weights: pushups and situps. I didn't have any dumbells, so I grabbed a chair from my breakfast/dinner table and curled it by grabbing it by the back. It wasn't but 20ish pounds at best, but it was a good start in doing a lot of reps with them. When I had some money, I invested in a variable dumbell system that goes from 10 pound weights to 50 pounds per hand. I'm up to 30 pounds now and when I hit 50, I'll keep using them to maintain tone. I suspect I'll be fine with what I look like at that kind of dumbell weight and not want to get demonstrably bigger. I also bought, a while ago, a pull-up bar that wedges on a door jam. Was only about 30 bucks from some military website. Good because, like pushups, using your own body weight is a great and cheap and easy way to exercise. I can't speak to a door-jam pullup bar when 250+ pounds is put on it.

From about 15 years old to, easily, 24 years old, I consistently weighed a small range between 135 and 145. Because of my youth spent in soccer, my legs have stayed in fairly good shape without my needing to do much to them (tho I do exercises for them, too). After coming to Charleston in March, I've worked out fairly steadily. I eat well. Total makes a good cinnamin version of their cereal that's tasty and, well, it's fuckin' Total, it's great stuff; and I buy tons of real juices (V8 fusion is amazing), lowfat milk, and some fruit and veggies now and then, tho I'm hardly the best fruit/veggie consumer out there. I also buy protein shakes from GNC and drink those, one after getting out of the shower after each workout. I don't have a scale around here, but I guess that I weigh 150-155 lbs now, very little of it fat, and I have good muscle tone and shape for what I've accomplished so far. It's a start, and I'll keep going from here.

Meg, I hated being underweight probably only slightly less strongly than you have hated being overweight, though it might be hard to imagine. I know I've mentioned some things in this post that cost money (dumbell set, good food/shakes), but I've tried to include items/activities that are free or cheap. All exercise is essentially free: a walk, a bike ride, a cooling swim, a jog. I know you have your moments of misery, but you can trust yourself and know that you actually have a good attitude about changing how you look/feel. It's easy to be negative about things sometimes, but you should focus on the positive energy you genuinely have about changing. As for the lazy Greek gods with good genes, there aren't so many out there as you might think. Plus they are usually all assholes to the extreme, so fuck em, anyway.

Starving yourself usually only yo-yos you back and forth. I heard somewhere (cue Twain's aphorism about statistics) that you should only really be losing 1-2 pounds a week. A slow burn. Slow sucks. It's shitty-annoying and can be depressing. It's slow for me going the other way, too. Once you get into the pattern of it, though, it can be liberating and encouraging. It'll never be fun, probably. It's work like anything else. Speaking of encouragement, try to find someone who needs/wants the work as much as you do. It's a cliche, but it's true. I have two friends who are big boys. One's near 400 pounds. They support each other as much as possible and they are slowly working thru the pounds.

We can't work or run or jog or eat with you, but you'll always have our support and advice here.

Be slow, methodical, careful, and patient. Last one is hardest, but it's achievable.

Benny Profane
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Benny, I watched the shoulder workout one, and he actually made a point of stating that he wasn't counting reps, because there wasn't really any need to.

Yet he only did maybe 15-20 reps of each exercise.

Is that all that's needed in a day's workout? Do a variety of those exercises, with 15-20 good, solid reps each?

Or was he cutting down for the purpose of moving things along in the video?

Most likely this. Seems like in that video he was just demonstrating form and technique. From watching his tricep video he advocates doing 4 - 5 sets of each exercise to concentric failure. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to learn more about his overall approach.

megladon8
07-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Does anyone have suggestions/ideas for a good but fairly easy/simple ab workout?

The reason I say "easy" is not due to laziness - because of my back injury (and the titanium rods that are now in there) I do not have any movement at all in my midriff.

I need something that works the abs, but does not require any bending in my mid-section.

EDIT: Tonight I did 3 sets (30 reps in each set) of each of these exercises...

-Arm curls
-Shoulders

(both of these were done with 10 pound dumbells)

-Stomach crunches
-Right and left oblique crunches

Again, these crunches really aren't working for me. Because of my back, I do pretty much need to use my arms for leverage behind my head, which as I understand kind of nullifies the exercise.

Ezee E
07-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Work out the abs but not bend the midsection?

Sorry man, the midsection is your abs.

Duncan
07-25-2008, 07:56 PM
You could just lie down and hold your legs 6 inches off the ground for a while. That'll make your abs work. There are, of course, variations on it.

Melville
07-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Working as a clerk or a fast food employee is minimum wage work, and I don't know what it's like in the States, but up here, you cannot live off that. It won't even cover rent, let alone bills and food.
I understand not wanting to work at McDonalds, but I don't quite understand your pessimism. Minimum wage in Ontario is $8.75/hour. Working full-time, that's $350/week. I've met plenty of people who live off less than that. Is the trouble just with finding a full time position?

megladon8
07-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I understand not wanting to work at McDonalds, but I don't quite understand your pessimism. Minimum wage in Ontario is $8.75/hour. Working full-time, that's $350/week. I've met plenty of people who live off less than that. Is the trouble just with finding a full time position?

Yes, full time is impossible to find, because all these jobs are looking for are high school students to fill in part time hours.

Melville
07-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Yes, full time is impossible to find, because all these jobs are looking for are high school students to fill in part time hours.
I recommend getting a job at a video store. When I worked at Rogers Video during high school, I got 30-40 hours per week. Plus free movies. You might not be able to get that many hours, but the free movies should be a sure thing.

megladon8
07-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I recommend getting a job at a video store. When I worked at Rogers Video during high school, I got 30-40 hours per week. Plus free movies. You might not be able to get that many hours, but the free movies should be a sure thing.

I already have applications it at all of the video stores within my range.

It's not like I haven't been trying :P I have tons of applications and resumes out there, but no one seems to want to hire me.

Melville
07-25-2008, 11:34 PM
It's not like I haven't been trying :P I have tons of applications and resumes out there, but no one seems to want to hire me.
Bastards.

It is surprisingly difficult to get a job at a video store. We typically got one or two applications a week at Rogers, and they just went into a giant folder that would be quickly browsed through when we needed to hire somebody. I got called for an interview a couple months after I put in my application.

Ezee E
07-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Anyone know of some great hamstring exercises? I am working on this course today, and do great on anything upper body, but when it came to lower body, it ran out of gas half way through, and that sucked.

megladon8
07-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Work out the abs but not bend the midsection?

Sorry man, the midsection is your abs.

Well, there has to be something I can do.

The doctors have always told me it's important for me to keep my abs fit, because it holds everything in place.

They wouldn't tell me that if it wasn't possible.

Ezee E
07-26-2008, 02:33 AM
Well, there has to be something I can do.

The doctors have always told me it's important for me to keep my abs fit, because it holds everything in place.

They wouldn't tell me that if it wasn't possible.
You could try sitting on the ground, grab a medicine ball or something about 10-15 pounds, lift up your feet, and alternate the medicine ball from your left side to your right side.

To make it tougher, keep your feet together and swing them to the opposite side that you have the medicine ball.

megladon8
07-26-2008, 03:24 PM
You could try sitting on the ground, grab a medicine ball or something about 10-15 pounds, lift up your feet, and alternate the medicine ball from your left side to your right side.

To make it tougher, keep your feet together and swing them to the opposite side that you have the medicine ball.

Hmm...great suggestion, thank you.

I don't have a medicine ball, so could I hold a dumbell in each hand, and bring them from side to side?

Ezee E
07-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Hmm...great suggestion, thank you.

I don't have a medicine ball, so could I hold a dumbell in each hand, and bring them from side to side?
I don't see why not, you could even start out just using your hands. Just make sure you've got a good hold of that dumbbell, or...

megladon8
07-26-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't see why not, you could even start out just using your hands. Just make sure you've got a good hold of that dumbbell, or...

NUT SHOT!!

megladon8
08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
You can be overweight, and still be healthy. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_he_me/med_healthy_obesity)

Though I've always known this, it's nice to read that it's starting to catch on in the media - hopefully we can, someday, move on from this ridiculous idea that thin = healthy.

Ezee E
08-14-2008, 01:36 PM
You can be overweight, and still be healthy. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_he_me/med_healthy_obesity)

Though I've always known this, it's nice to read that it's starting to catch on in the media - hopefully we can, someday, move on from this ridiculous idea that thin = healthy.
Reading the article, it doesn't really help fat people's causes too much.

megladon8
08-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Reading the article, it doesn't really help fat people's causes too much.

What do you mean their "causes"?

I'm just saying that it's nice that they acknowledge the fact that being overweight doesn't automatically mean you're unhealthy, and being slim doesn't automatically mean you're healthy.

bac0n
08-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Has anyone here tried the Couch To 5K Program (http://www.c25k.com/)? It's a plan to get you from being a no-exercise desk jockey such as myself to being able to run five kilometers non-stop, all in the span of about 9 weeks, on three 20 minute sessions a week. I figure with the showers at work and the ample jogging paths close by, I have all the accommodations I need.

I've made my mind up that I'm gonna give it a shot, starting Monday. I've gained more than 25 pounds in the last four years, fifteen of them in the last year alone, and this needs to stop.

Duncan
08-14-2008, 03:04 PM

I'm just saying that it's nice that they acknowledge the fact that being overweight doesn't automatically mean you're unhealthy, and being slim doesn't automatically mean you're healthy.

I don't think you will find many people who will say being overweight automatically means you're unhealthy, and even fewer claiming being skinny automatically means you are healthy.

You will almost universally be told, however, that being obese or overweight increases your chances of heart disease and other health problems. That article says in very roundabout terms that being overweight doubles the chances you will show indicators of heart disease, and that being obese almost triples them. It then mentions at the end that the study didn't actually look at heart disease itself, only indicators which seems kind of ridiculous and somewhat pointless to me.

Furthermore, it goes on to describe the failures of the BMI as an indicator of healthy weight. So those numbers (the doubling and the tripling, I mean) are skewed lower than they would be if only truly "fat" people were considered overweight or obese.

Benny Profane
08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
The BMI is ridiculous.

The BMI probably says that LaDanian Tomlinson is obese. Most pro athletes/bodybuilders would be obese according to the BMI. I haven't read the thing meg posted so sorry if it's covered in the article.

Sven
08-14-2008, 03:34 PM
I certainly sympathize with meg's impression that the populous judges one, however tacitly, in terms of weight (which frequently translates to worth, unfortunately, because the size of your gut indicates how "responsible" you are). I see it everywhere. I'm only slightly overweight and I get it all the time. But I frequently exercise and the majority of what I eat isn't garbage.

So yeah, perhaps meg is not talking about a "everyone thinks I'm unhealthy because I've got a belly" vibe, but rather a "everyone think I'm a lesser being because I've got a belly" vibe. Am I wrong?

D_Davis
08-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Crackheads are often skinny.

Ezee E
08-14-2008, 04:26 PM

Duncan basically said it for me.

Yes, the BMI is stupid for Benny's statement.

This is a wasted post.

Derek
05-13-2009, 03:28 AM
So, I'm looking to read about exercise. Anyone know a good place to look?

monolith94
05-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Oh man, I can't believe I was the one who started this thread. I feel so guilty.

Ezee E
05-13-2009, 04:49 AM
So, I'm looking to read about exercise. Anyone know a good place to look?
What kind of exercise are you thinking of? 24 Hour Fitness won't have the reading, but you can start a membership there, and one meeting with a trainer that will create a routine for the type of exercise you're looking for.

I've also used my library for different types of workouts.

Benny Profane
05-13-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm really not looking to be "muscle-man" here.

I want to get some definition going around my arms, back and chest, and cut the excess weight off my body.

I'm really not that overweight. I have a small belly, that's it. Nothing hanging over my pants or anything like that.

My legs are already very muscular - in the summer I often get comments from friends/friends of friends asking me where and how much I work out, because when I wear shorts, my legs look huge.

This is why I'm not doing any weight training down there. I bike every single day, and I think this is enough of a workout for the lower body.

So yeah, my goal is to trim down a bit, and look a little more toned from the waist up.

And for a timeline? I suppose by the end of the summer (ie early-to-mid September).

Meg, if you are looking for definition, a weight-training program is an excellent place to start, but know that your diet will be just as important, if not more.

Everyone sees beginner gains. Maintaining that will be the hard part.

Generally, this is how it works:

For larger muscle groups such as chest and back:

+12 reps = muscle endurance
6 - 12 reps = hypertrophy
-6 reps = power and strength

It sounds like you want to do high reps. So for example, If you are looking for chest endurance, do 4 sets of 15 reps of bench press. Try to pick a weight where you can barely do the 15th rep on your 4th set. Wait about 60 - 90 seconds between sets. Once you can complete all 4 sets, add weight.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dukefrukem
05-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Dunno if any of you guys ever used ToolsToLife.com, but I started a group there called the exercise 5 days a week challenge. Its to help motivate to exercise at least 5 days a week @ 30 minutes a day.

Anyone feel like joinin (http://toolstolife.com/challenges/show/412)?

thefourthwall
05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Dunno if any of you guys ever used ToolsToLife.com, but I started a group there called the exercise 5 days a week challenge. Its to help motivate to exercise at least 5 days a week @ 30 minutes a day.

Anyone feel like joinin (http://toolstolife.com/challenges/show/412)?

I'm a bit confused by the site...is it just set up for the next month? What is it counting down towards? In any case, I'm for it; the past week and a half, I've been trying to do 30 min a day, with moderate success.

bac0n
05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey, do any of you fitness experts know of a source of healthy low-fat recipes I can use to make some meals out of? I have the exercise routine, but I need to eat better, and it would be nice to build some weekly menus.

megladon8
05-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Meg, if you are looking for definition, a weight-training program is an excellent place to start, but know that your diet will be just as important, if not more.

Everyone sees beginner gains. Maintaining that will be the hard part.

Generally, this is how it works:

For larger muscle groups such as chest and back:

+12 reps = muscle endurance
6 - 12 reps = hypertrophy
-6 reps = power and strength

It sounds like you want to do high reps. So for example, If you are looking for chest endurance, do 4 sets of 15 reps of bench press. Try to pick a weight where you can barely do the 15th rep on your 4th set. Wait about 60 - 90 seconds between sets. Once you can complete all 4 sets, add weight.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Awesome, thanks so much for your help.

I understand diet is a big part of it.

I've been making an effort to eat more frequently, with smaller portions and better choices.

For example, a snack I've been having just about every day has been an apple and some yogurt. Then later in the day, if I'm feeling the urge to snack, I'll munch on carrot sticks.

Dukefrukem
05-14-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm a bit confused by the site...is it just set up for the next month? What is it counting down towards? In any case, I'm for it; the past week and a half, I've been trying to do 30 min a day, with moderate success.

Its setup for the next 30 days. At the end of the 30 days you can evaluate your progress and make new goals for the next 30 days.

Kurosawa Fan
07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Has anyone here tried the Couch To 5K Program (http://www.c25k.com/)? It's a plan to get you from being a no-exercise desk jockey such as myself to being able to run five kilometers non-stop, all in the span of about 9 weeks, on three 20 minute sessions a week. I figure with the showers at work and the ample jogging paths close by, I have all the accommodations I need.

I've made my mind up that I'm gonna give it a shot, starting Monday. I've gained more than 25 pounds in the last four years, fifteen of them in the last year alone, and this needs to stop.

I'm in my second week on this program. Downloaded the podcasts too for audio cues. It's going pretty well. The first run was brutal. Achilles felt like they were going to pop, hamstrings killing me, and absolutely no stamina. I just finished my fourth run, going every other day, and there's already a staggering difference. I pushed it much harder today (my pace that is, not the intervals, which I'm sticking to no matter how much I want to cheat ahead), and my stamina was much better and my legs didn't hurt/burn nearly as much. This is the first time I didn't hold my run until the evening, largely because this was the first time I've had the day off since starting the program and didn't have to wait until I got home from work, but I can tell you that even if I have the day off I'm waiting. The heat was so much more draining at 3 pm, which should have been obvious.

Anyway, thanks so much for pointing this out. My wife and I are both forcing each other to stick with it. Seeing a 2 as the first number on the scale a few weeks ago was too much for me to handle. It's way past time to make a change.

Skitch
07-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I just started working out a bit a couple weeks ago. Bought some weights. I'm currently doing between 150 - 500 reps a day, with a 12 pounder. Only really focusing on upper body right now, as my job tends to keep my legs worked pretty good. I've noticed some good results.

I'm looking forward to golf improvements. :)

bac0n
07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Anyway, thanks so much for pointing this out. My wife and I are both forcing each other to stick with it. Seeing a 2 as the first number on the scale a few weeks ago was too much for me to handle. It's way past time to make a change.

Cool! Glad you're getting something out of it! I've been sorta lax these past few weeks. Complications at work and at home have thrown my routine completely outa whack, so I've been on week 6 for about three weeks now.

Just remember - don't worry about repeating a week if you don't feel ready to move on. The whole idea is to work at a comfortable pace so that you don't burn yourself out and quit.

bac0n
08-28-2009, 01:29 PM
This morning I completed the Couch fo 5K program, meaning I ran five kilometers (3.1 miles) for the first time in 20 years. Yay me!

Now, I guess the question is... what next? I'm probably gonna continue running 3 times a week for a few weeks, then maybe move to four times a week, and then maybe throw in some strength training on the days I'm not running. Anyone have any suggestions?

Scar
08-28-2009, 06:47 PM
This morning I completed the Couch fo 5K program, meaning I ran five kilometers (3.1 miles) for the first time in 20 years. Yay me!

Now, I guess the question is... what next? I'm probably gonna continue running 3 times a week for a few weeks, then maybe move to four times a week, and then maybe throw in some strength training on the days I'm not running. Anyone have any suggestions?

A cigar on the weekends.

With my job as a Food Safety guy auditing grocery stores, I've lost the weight I gained and then some from sitting on my ass during the winter when I was unemployed.

Kurosawa Fan
12-17-2009, 03:28 PM
So I've been keeping to myself for awhile so as not to jinx it, but I became aware today that my routine is set in stone, so I can stop worrying about my laziness rearing its ugly head again.

I've lost 17 lbs. since November 2nd. I've started working out five mornings a week. I go to the gym straight from dropping my son off at school, and alternate days with 30 minutes of cardio on an eliptical machine (I had to give up the jogging because the arthritis in my knees made it too painful, but the eliptical works fine because there's no impact) or 10 minutes on a bike paired with various Nautilus workouts. I've also completely changed my eating habits. I've increased my vegetable intake, totally and completely eliminated fast food (with the exception of Subway flat bread sandwiches once a week), upped my protein by snacking on almonds and cashews rather than chips and candy, and cut my daily calorie intake in half. I'm on pace to be twenty pounds lighter by Christmas, which was my goal. I weigh myself at the same time every Thursday morning after my workout so that I know the results are genuine and not inconsistent.

Everything has become so routine that I feel like crap when I don't go in the morning (had to skip a day twice because my kids were sick), and even on Thanksgiving I noticed how quickly I was full, and how overeating makes me feel really ill now.

So yeah, I needed to come in here to celebrate a bit (though just a bit, as I won't be happy until I'm back down to about 165, which is supposedly my ideal weight). Please excuse my gushing.

And Benny, thanks for the advice long ago. It took me years to actually use it, but it's finally had an effect on my life.

Ezee E
12-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Strong work man!

Kurosawa Fan
12-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Strong work man!

Thanks man. Once I lose all the weight, I'm going to keep the exercise routine while loosening up a bit on my eating habits. Not going back to fast food, but having some chips or a candy bar now and then. But I'm going to monitor my weight from now on. I'll continue weighing myself on Thursdays, and if the weight starts to increase again, it'll make me realize that I need to eat this way to stay where I am.

bac0n
12-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Good on ya, KF!

I've been laxing on my jogging routine lately, but mainly because I haven't had the time to do it, and it's been butt-ass cold outside. Hopefully after the holidays I'll have some thermal running gear and some time to head out.

Wryan
12-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Nice KF. Grats. I still eat a bit of junk now and then, but rarely, and I'm still at an age where the exercise I do anyway takes care of it. But I'm glad to hear you're eating better and exercising. That's great. :)

Ezee E
12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks man. Once I lose all the weight, I'm going to keep the exercise routine while loosening up a bit on my eating habits. Not going back to fast food, but having some chips or a candy bar now and then. But I'm going to monitor my weight from now on. I'll continue weighing myself on Thursdays, and if the weight starts to increase again, it'll make me realize that I need to eat this way to stay where I am.
And I'm sure the wife is certainly happy about the leaner husband.

Kurosawa Fan
12-17-2009, 06:03 PM
And I'm sure the wife is certainly happy about the leaner husband.

Definitely. We've been working out together, and both are looking better. I have a lot more weight to lose than she does, but our bodies have certain become more toned.

Ezee E
12-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Definitely. We've been working out together, and both are looking better. I have a lot more weight to lose than she does, but our bodies have certain become more toned.
At first I read that as your wife having a lot more weight to lose, and I was about to say, "DICK!"

Kurosawa Fan
12-17-2009, 06:10 PM
At first I read that as your wife having a lot more weight to lose, and I was about to say, "DICK!"

:lol:

No. Not even close.

BuffaloWilder
12-19-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm trying to lose a pot-belly, on the cheap. It's a shame, because I've got a reasonably average-okay looking set of muscles under there, but it's just a bore to burn off. Any tips?

Ezee E
12-20-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm trying to lose a pot-belly, on the cheap. It's a shame, because I've got a reasonably average-okay looking set of muscles under there, but it's just a bore to burn off. Any tips?
Reread thread. Follow whichever tip you like.

Qrazy
12-20-2009, 12:33 AM

Punch meat in a walk in freezer... with your abs!

BuffaloWilder
12-20-2009, 12:45 AM
So far, I've kept to a steady regiment of indoor jogging - because it's freezing, where I am - sit-ups, planks and hip lifts, with ten-pound weights because what the hell.

Also, "torso twists," because I like the name. They all seem to be working pretty well, at the moment. It's the gradualism that gets me, though.

Benny Profane
12-20-2009, 01:01 AM
So far, I've kept to a steady regiment of indoor jogging - because it's freezing, where I am - sit-ups, planks and hip lifts, with ten-pound weights because what the hell.

Also, "torso twists," because I like the name. They all seem to be working pretty well, at the moment. It's the gradualism that gets me, though.

You cannot spot-reduce fat. Focusing only on your core will not help you lose weight in your core. It will just strengthen your core.

Fat is reduced across the entire body, not just one area.

BuffaloWilder
12-20-2009, 01:26 AM
I know this.

Philosophe_rouge
12-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Diet change might be better for losing weight, do you eat breakfast every day? Do you eat late at night? Are you careful abotu calories?

Ezee E
05-16-2010, 03:35 AM
Started up the "Insanity" Challenge. Day 2. I need to get rid of some of the junk food in my house, but can't over indulge it. And I'm not just going to toss it.

A very tiring workout though. High on cardio and focuses on the core. A friend of mine that does fitness competitions recommended it to me. After two days, I'm a believer. I'm even keeping a workout diary for this one. Maybe I'll share it when I'm done.

Ezee E
03-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Mapmyrun.com (http://mapmyrun.com)

For those of you who like to see stats or information on your runs (and who doesn't like stats), here's a great website. You plug in your runs through google maps, and it'll track the distance. It looks like you can do plenty more (some for a fee). Great site.

Lucky
03-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Started up the "Insanity" Challenge. Day 2. I need to get rid of some of the junk food in my house, but can't over indulge it. And I'm not just going to toss it.

A very tiring workout though. High on cardio and focuses on the core. A friend of mine that does fitness competitions recommended it to me. After two days, I'm a believer. I'm even keeping a workout diary for this one. Maybe I'll share it when I'm done.

Any more to say on this? A friend also recommended this to me, and I keep forgetting to look into it.

Lucky
03-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Mapmyrun.com (http://mapmyrun.com)

For those of you who like to see stats or information on your runs (and who doesn't like stats), here's a great website. You plug in your runs through google maps, and it'll track the distance. It looks like you can do plenty more (some for a fee). Great site.

There's an app for the iPhone called "RunCoach" which utilizes your phone's GPS abilities and maps your run for you and calculates your mileage. It will also save your log history. It's pretty neat for $1.

Ezee E
03-18-2011, 02:29 AM
There's an app for the iPhone called "RunCoach" which utilizes your phone's GPS abilities and maps your run for you and calculates your mileage. It will also save your log history. It's pretty neat for $1.
This guy needs an iPhone.

I just used the website for the first time today actually. I'll let you know more. You can track things like biking, dogwalks, etc with it.

bac0n
03-18-2011, 02:45 AM
I find Google Earth to be great for mapping out jogging routes.

EyesWideOpen
03-18-2011, 04:05 AM
Any more to say on this? A friend also recommended this to me, and I keep forgetting to look into it.

I'm interested also. My core is my worst spot. Having a weak core contributed to me having back surgery.

Ezee E
03-18-2011, 05:29 AM
You can also track your daily metrics on there, which is "morale", weight, sleep, etc. I don't think I'll do that, but if you're trying to lose weight, I think it'd be a great tool.

bac0n
03-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Have a 7K Race tomorrow, the first race I've run since highschool, and the first of that distance ever. Wish me luck!

Dukefrukem
03-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Ran with my shirt off for the first time this year. Was beautiful out. 6.5 miles in 50 minutes. W00T.

Ezee E
03-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Duke probably plays a musical instrument of some sort.

I kid of course.

Dukefrukem
03-20-2011, 03:20 AM
Duke probably plays a musical instrument of some sort.

I kid of course.

The skin flute count?

ALso, for some reason your post reminded me of this:

uv4ZLUEe8xw

Mysterious Dude
03-20-2011, 03:48 AM
I did 20 push-ups in a row yesterday. I've been working my way up from 10. So if anyone ever tells me, "drop and give me 20!" I will be able to do it.

Benny Profane
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Ran 5 miles by the river with my dog this morning. Watched a killer sunrise coming over the skyscrapers on my way back home.

I wish every moment of my day could feel that good.

bac0n
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Ran 5 miles by the river with my dog this morning. Watched a killer sunrise coming over the skyscrapers on my way back home.

I wish every moment of my day could feel that good.

I'd do that sorta thing too, but I would have to get up at 5am to do so, something i just LOATHE to do.

Good on ya anyway, tho. :)

Benny Profane
04-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I'd do that sorta thing too, but I would have to get up at 5am to do so, something i just LOATHE to do.

Good on ya anyway, tho. :)

I would NEVER wake up at 5am.

I wake up around 5:25

EyesWideOpen
07-13-2011, 03:04 AM
So I start the Insanity workout tomorrow. I'm quite excited. My back is all better. I'm going to the gym regularly and I'm looking to build up my core and lose some weight. I'm currently at 198 and I'd like to get down to 175.

Ezee E
07-13-2011, 03:11 AM
So I start the Insanity workout tomorrow. I'm quite excited. My back is all better. I'm going to the gym regularly and I'm looking to build up my core and lose some weight. I'm currently at 198 and I'd like to get down to 175.
It'll sure help. Just make sure to stick with it. It's very easy to decide, no.

EyesWideOpen
07-13-2011, 03:19 AM
It'll sure help. Just make sure to stick with it. It's very easy to decide, no.

I'm pretty motivated. I've been about 25-30 pounds overweight since I was like 16 years old. My clothes hide it pretty good so most people when I tell them I need to lose weight ask me why?. I've been extremely self conscious about my chest (man boobs) so I never ever take my shirt off in public or go swimming since I was 16. Not a day goes by where I'm not thinking about it and I'm 32 now so it needs to change.

Ezee E
07-13-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm pretty motivated. I've been about 25-30 pounds overweight since I was like 16 years old. My clothes hide it pretty good so most people when I tell them I need to lose weight ask me why?. I've been extremely self conscious about my chest (man boobs) so I never ever take my shirt off in public or go swimming since I was 16. Not a day goes by where I'm not thinking about it and I'm 32 now so it needs to change.
Maybe you do hide it well, but nobody will ever say, "Yeah man, you DO need to start working out."

But if you do get your goal, there will be glorious comments all around. Weird how that works. :lol:

I think your goal sounds completely achievable. What's your nutrition plan?

EyesWideOpen
07-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Maybe you do hide it well, but nobody will ever say, "Yeah man, you DO need to start working out."

But if you do get your goal, there will be glorious comments all around. Weird how that works. :lol:

I think your goal sounds completely achievable. What's your nutrition plan?

I don't drink alcohol and I'm a vegetarian. So basically my only real food weaknesses are fast food (which I've pretty much completely cut out except for a chipotle burrito every once in a while) and pizza (which I eat way too much of probably twice a week). I'm mainly trying to use fruit as snacks and severely cut down the cheese I eat and eliminate the pizza.

I stopped drinking soda or caffeine back in march and I drank huge amounts of soda my whole life and I haven't had a sip since or thought about so I don't have problems getting committed to something and sticking with it. It's just the starting which has been my problem. And that's gonna change!

Lucky
07-13-2011, 04:01 AM
There is no shame in eating Chipotle. The only thing I would suggest is opting for a burrito bowl instead. Eat half now, save the other half for later. The thing to be a bit embarrassed about is wolfing down the whole thing at once and pretending that's one portion size. Not that I'm one to talk as I just did this tonight ;)

Ezee E
07-13-2011, 04:13 AM
There is no shame in eating Chipotle. The only thing I would suggest is opting for a burrito bowl instead. Eat half now, save the other half for later. The thing to be a bit embarrassed about is wolfing down the whole thing at once and pretending that's one portion size. Not that I'm one to talk as I just did this tonight ;)
Psh.... What's not to love about a 900-1200 calorie intake within 10 minutes?

EyesWideOpen
07-13-2011, 05:08 AM
Psh.... What's not to love about a 900-1200 calorie intake within 10 minutes?

To be fair what I get in a chipotle burrito only comes out to 640 calories. And 300 of that is the tortilla.

romantisaurusrex
07-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't drink alcohol and I'm a vegetarian. So basically my only real food weaknesses are fast food (which I've pretty much completely cut out except for a chipotle burrito every once in a while) and pizza (which I eat way too much of probably twice a week). I'm mainly trying to use fruit as snacks and severely cut down the cheese I eat and eliminate the pizza.

I stopped drinking soda or caffeine back in march and I drank huge amounts of soda my whole life and I haven't had a sip since or thought about so I don't have problems getting committed to something and sticking with it. It's just the starting which has been my problem. And that's gonna change!

I was a vegetarian for 7 years and I still only very, very rarely eat meat (social gatherings, etc). When I was in high school I was always trying to bulk up for my sports team but it was really hard. A lack of complete proteins might be part of your problem. I'm definitely not endorsing eating meat, but what I do now is make a whey protein shake with soy milk after I work out every day. It will cut that craving for carbs and "real" food you get after cardio/weight training (I always feel the need to devour after working out), and it will build lean muscle mass which is something you want even if you're just trying to lose weight.

EyesWideOpen
07-13-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm not your typical vegetarian in that I don't really eat a lot of vegetables. I track my nutrition intake online and I'm definitely getting enough protein. I eat alot of soy products (morning star/boca/vegetarian chili) and peanut butter (plus taking vitamins) which gives me my recommended protein. I think my problem is that I'm a very picky eater about what I like to eat. So it has less to do with my body craving carbs and more to do with my laziness about trying different things.

Benny Profane
07-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Second the whey protein shake after lifting. This is basically mandatory for anyone who works out. Casein protein is good to drink at night, because it stays in the system longer. I don't know what the insanity workout is, but it's insane to work out and not eat meat. But that's just me :)

bac0n
07-13-2011, 04:57 PM

I eat at Chipotle all the time. I get the taco salad instead of the burrito bowl, leave out all the dairy, and even with a big gob of guac, we're talking low 600s for calories, and a lot of vegies & protein. only drawback is that there's a lot of sodium.

EyesWideOpen
07-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Second the whey protein shake after lifting. This is basically mandatory for anyone who works out. Casein protein is good to drink at night, because it stays in the system longer. I don't know what the insanity workout is, but it's insane to work out and not eat meat. But that's just me :)

There is no lifting in the insanity workout. And your comment about not eating meat and working out tells me you know nothing about vegetarian diets.

Ezee E
07-13-2011, 09:17 PM
There is no lifting in the insanity workout. And your comment about not eating meat and working out tells me you know nothing about vegetarian diets.
He was talking in jest, I think.

D_Davis
07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
I started running again. Doing 3 miles a night a couple times a week. It's funny - being so skinny, I actually gain weight when I exercise because I get so freaking hungry. Last Monday night, while running all I could thing about was a huge french roast and a pint of dark lager. Ended up settling for a large bowl of posole and a dark IPA.

Finally quit smoking again, too. Hopefully it sticks this time.

D_Davis
07-14-2011, 02:58 AM
3 miles, about 35 minutes. This has been the hardest run yet...but it feels really good.

EyesWideOpen
07-14-2011, 03:08 AM
I feel like I'm gonna die. But in a good way.

Lucky
07-14-2011, 03:11 AM
3 miles, about 35 minutes. This has been the hardest run yet...but it feels really good.

I've started running regularly again a few months ago as well. The first couple weeks are hard, but you snap right back into shape. I'm training for a half marathon in October, I'm up to 5 miles on my long run days. If you have access to a treadmill, try running 2 miles at a pace of 1 min/mile faster than you would normally run. Although that run will be difficult, you'll be amazed at the relative ease of your next run. Running is such a rewarding activity. I love competing with myself, you can do it anywhere, and it clears your head.

Ezee E
07-14-2011, 05:33 AM
I feel like I'm gonna die. But in a good way.
Day 3?

EyesWideOpen
07-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Day 3?

Nope. Yesterday was just day 1. The fitness test portion. I was winded after every exercise and then afterwards for a couple hours. This morning my hamstrings are still feeling it.

Ezee E
07-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Nope. Yesterday was just day 1. The fitness test portion. I was winded after every exercise and then afterwards for a couple hours. This morning my hamstrings are still feeling it.
The others are much tougher. Why not follow the calendar?

bac0n
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Has anyone heard of The Primal Blueprint (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/the-primal-blueprint/)?

The basic idea is that mankind had evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to be hunter/gatherers with a diet consisting mainly of lots of plants, and lots of animals. Grains are bad - our bodies are not evolved to consume them, and they fuck up the balance of insulin in our bodies, which contribute to maladies such as obesity, heart problems, diabetes and other. Or so the book goes.

If we can get back to a more "primal" lifestyle (eating lots of plants and animals, walking alot, running real fast once in a while, lifting heavy things, avoiding toxins) our weight will quickly get under control, we'll have more energy, we'll look and feel better, etc.

A buddy of mine has been on it for a year in which time he's dropped 30 pounds and has a similarly impressive drop in his cholesterol. I've been thinking of trying it, since despite running semi-regularly and watching my food intake, I've been stuck at 190 lbs for months, and I would like to get down into the mid 170s, as well as rid myself of this embarrassing gut I've been sporting for years.

Thoughts, anybody?

romantisaurusrex
07-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Has anyone heard of The Primal Blueprint (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/the-primal-blueprint/)?

The basic idea is that mankind had evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to be hunter/gatherers with a diet consisting mainly of lots of plants, and lots of animals. Grains are bad - our bodies are not evolved to consume them, and they fuck up the balance of insulin in our bodies, which contribute to maladies such as obesity, heart problems, diabetes and other. Or so the book goes.

If we can get back to a more "primal" lifestyle (eating lots of plants and animals, walking alot, running real fast once in a while, lifting heavy things, avoiding toxins) our weight will quickly get under control, we'll have more energy, we'll look and feel better, etc.

A buddy of mine has been on it for a year in which time he's dropped 30 pounds and has a similarly impressive drop in his cholesterol. I've been thinking of trying it, since despite running semi-regularly and watching my food intake, I've been stuck at 190 lbs for months, and I would like to get down into the mid 170s, as well as rid myself of this embarrassing gut I've been sporting for years.

Thoughts, anybody?

My roommate has been on this diet for months and he swears by it. I personally think it could be legitimate or it could just be the physical effects of eating less carbs and more veggies/protein. They teach us as kids to have 6-11 carbs a day when in reality we should be eating 3-5. I also don't think all grains are inherently bad but people generally tend to eat the wrong carbs (wheat, white rice, etc). When people give them up they're giving up gluten, which really does slow your metabolism and doesn't provide as much long term energy as brown rice, oats, and barley. When I stopped eating wheat I got a huge energy boost.

EyesWideOpen
07-14-2011, 05:40 PM
The others are much tougher. Why not follow the calendar?

I am following the calender.i just started on wednesday instead of monday since that is when I got it.

Benny Profane
07-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Makes sense. Pretty sure obesity wasn't a problem prior to the agricultural revolution.

D_Davis
07-14-2011, 05:50 PM
I just ordered the book and a Paleo cook book.

Robby P
07-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Eh, I think the rise of expendable income, sedentary lifestyles and mass consumerism are more responsible for increased rates of obesity than changes in diet consumption.

Benny Profane
07-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Eh, I think the rise of expendable income, sedentary lifestyles and mass consumerism are more responsible for increased rates of obesity than changes in diet consumption.

This all started with the agricultural revolution! Blame farming!

D_Davis
07-14-2011, 06:48 PM
I've started running regularly again a few months ago as well. The first couple weeks are hard, but you snap right back into shape. I'm training for a half marathon in October, I'm up to 5 miles on my long run days. If you have access to a treadmill, try running 2 miles at a pace of 1 min/mile faster than you would normally run. Although that run will be difficult, you'll be amazed at the relative ease of your next run. Running is such a rewarding activity. I love competing with myself, you can do it anywhere, and it clears your head.

Good advice.

My god, I'm so hungry...and I have so much energy right now.

EyesWideOpen
07-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Third day down. Extremely difficult but I feel amazing afterwards. My hamstrings have been on fire for the last three days. Since sunday I've lost 4 pounds.

Ezee E
07-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Third day down. Extremely difficult but I feel amazing afterwards. My hamstrings have been on fire for the last three days. Since sunday I've lost 4 pounds.
Hooray for Recovery Day!

monolith94
07-16-2011, 02:42 AM
I've been doing Bikram yoga for a few weeks now. From 205 lbs, I'm starting to approach 197. Making progress. Feeling good. It's a good distraction.

D_Davis
07-18-2011, 04:34 PM
So that pain that has been plaguing my hands for the last year has, during the last few months, crept into my feet.

Needless to say, I don't think running is an option anymore until some Dr. figures out what is wrong with me.

Anyhow, I've been thinking of getting a bike, especially since biking is so much easier on your knees and feet. I want to get a hybrid bike for urban trails and roads, and I want to spend about $300. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Anyone know anything about this Trek:

http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/gavin-2010-comfort-bike.html?utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=free_cse&utm_term=COMF-2010&utm_campaign=product

D_Davis
07-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Lesson learned - never ask bike people questions about needing a very basic bike to use for exercise.

D_Davis
07-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Got a bike yesterday. A Trek 7.1 Fitness bike. Very nice, and a good value. Really looking forward to riding a lot.

Benny Profane
07-25-2011, 04:43 PM

So I looked into this Intensity Workout a bit. I fully agree with the premise of interval training to burn fat. Some questions:

1. Since this is anaerobic activity, can it be combined with aerobic activity? Or are you too fried to do anything else?

2. Can it be combined with a weightlifting regimen? Or do you just have to put that aside til it's finished?

3. Do they provide a diet to follow?

4. Once the 60 days are over, then what? Do they give tips on how to train like a normal person?

5. How much room do you need in your living room or exercise area?

6. Are you taking before and after pics like on the commercials?

Ezee E
07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
So I looked into this Intensity Workout a bit. I fully agree with the premise of interval training to burn fat. Some questions:

1. Since this is anaerobic activity, can it be combined with aerobic activity? Or are you too fried to do anything else?
After the first week or so, you could probably do more, depending on your fitness level. I usually could.
2. Can it be combined with a weightlifting regimen? Or do you just have to put that aside til it's finished?
They don't say anything about weightlifting. I still did my weightlifting regimen

3. Do they provide a diet to follow?
Sorta. They have a recommendation, as well as recipes. But nothing to strictly follow.

4. Once the 60 days are over, then what? Do they give tips on how to train like a normal person?
They basiclally just say to start over and continue to track your progress. Every two weeks you do a workout in which you track the amount of reps you can do in a minute or so/

5. How much room do you need in your living room or exercise area?
Enough to do three quick paces from left to right

6. Are you taking before and after pics like on the commercials?
I didn't.

Highly recommended though.

EyesWideOpen
07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
In addition to what E said:

The first week I was too sore to do much else but this second week I've been going to the gym and playing basketball.

You also have to have room to jump in the air so I have do my workouts in my dining room since my living room has a ceiling fan which I would hit my head on.

And I did take before pics.

D_Davis
08-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Just complete my first major bike ride - 31 miles. Feels great!

Ezee E
08-01-2011, 02:58 AM
D'oh. Meant to workout and run. Instead I went with a friend to a burrito place and shared a pitcher....

To tomorrow!

Lucky
08-01-2011, 04:56 AM
I tried out the incline feature on a treadmill today for the first time. 2 miles, 12% incline, 4.0 mile/hr pace. Holy crap did I underestimate how much harder the incline makes it. I'm going to be sore tomorrow, I can tell.

transmogrifier
08-01-2011, 06:07 AM

Thoughts, anybody?

Back then we would have had a life expectancy of around 30 as well. :)

Benny Profane
08-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Did a high intensity interval run this morning. 30 seconds of all out sprint (about 11- 12 mph) and then 90 seconds of steady state jog (about 6 mph). I could only go about 3 miles before I felt like I was going to collapse. I had to walk the last quarter of a mile home. I'm going to do this every other day, hopefully being able to bring the jog interval down to 60 seconds soon.

Ezee E
08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I read that as 30 mins of all out sprint at first, to which I was gonna say, "BULLSHIT!"

Dang, I'm tired.

Benny Profane
08-01-2011, 01:22 PM
My hamstrings feel hollow. I will be in bad shape tomorrow.

bac0n
08-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Back then we would have had a life expectancy of around 30 as well. :)

Mark Sisson, the author of the Primal Blueprint, postulates that primal man's rather short life expectancy (compared to modern first world countries) was due mainly to predators and not health and lifestyle choices.

They tended to die younger, but not from cancer, heart disease, what have you, but because they had gotten too old to escape that jaguar that was running after them.

Lucky
08-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Mark Sisson, the author of the Primal Blueprint, postulates that primal man's rather short life expectancy (compared to modern first world countries) was due mainly to predators and not health and lifestyle choices.

They tended to die younger, but not from cancer, heart disease, what have you, but because they had gotten too old to escape that jaguar that was running after them.

I postulate added carbohydrates in their diet would benefit their running endurance.

Lucky
08-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Trying out a stationary bike for the first time right now. Anyone use these? How far do you usually go and at what pace?

Qrazy
08-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Trying out a stationary bike for the first time right now. Anyone use these? How far do you usually go and at what pace?

Do something like hills or what not that fluctuates how fast you're going and/or simulates sprinting. Aerobic exercise isn't especially good for weight loss or muscle building. When I used it in the past I tended to do 5-7 miles in 20 minutes or so while fluctuating speed.

Lucky
08-13-2011, 07:45 PM
I just did 9 miles in 40 min. Guess I wasn't going very fast. Explains why I barely broke a sweat, but at least I got some reading time in. I did my long run yesterday and was just looking for a no impact, easy workout. I'll probably try out the bike again using more resistance next time or the interval function like you mentioned. I like how I can multitask on it, the time flew by.

bac0n
08-15-2011, 05:01 AM
Nine miles in 40 minutes? We're talking running, right?

You must have been booking: I can do about 3.5 miles in 30 minutes, so do the math.

Ezee E
08-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Nine miles in 40 minutes? We're talking running, right?

You must have been booking: I can do about 3.5 miles in 30 minutes, so do the math.
He's talking biking. Otherwise he's breaking records.

Ezee E
08-15-2011, 05:09 AM
I got Warrior Dash this Saturday y'all. What should my facepaint be?

bac0n
08-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Yeah, no shit.

Scar
08-15-2011, 05:37 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/africa_enl_1063967571/img/1.jpg

Ezee E
08-15-2011, 05:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/africa_enl_1063967571/img/1.jpg
Ha. I'm thinking more silly.

bac0n
08-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Ha. I'm thinking more silly.

http://www.mathewbrowne.com/images/warrior.jpg

Scar
08-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Don't forget the entrance theme music.

Ezee E
08-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Not a bad idea. May have to find a wig.

Lucky
08-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, no shit.

Yeah, definitely biking. I did 5 miles in 50 min on foot today though.

Lucky
08-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Aang, the last airbender?

Benny Profane
08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
30 seconds sprint
60 seconds steady jog
24 minutes
3.5 miles
515 calories
God knows how many more burned after.
My ass = kicked

Robby P
08-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't think I've ever seen someone do a HIIT routine in public. I would feel really self conscious about it. Just randomly bursting into an all out sprint might lead people to think I'd just robbed a bank or something.

ledfloyd
08-17-2011, 01:13 PM
i've finally started commiting to getting in shape. i've been doing 45 minutes of brisk walking daily for about three weeks now. just in the last couple days i'm getting to the point where i'm looking forward to it, which is nice. i'm hoping to get to the point where i can run a few miles a day, and hopefully the pounds start coming off as well. i'm already starting to notice myself feeling better, which is nice.

Benny Profane
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't think I've ever seen someone do a HIIT routine in public. I would feel really self conscious about it. Just randomly bursting into an all out sprint might lead people to think I'd just robbed a bank or something.

I do this at 5:30 a.m. Nobody's watching. :)

Remains to be seen if I will stick with this as it gets colder. I'm very stiff in the morning and it's hard to get loose, which will be compounded in winter. And then I'm worried that I'll have too many layers on and will be too hot. HIIT is not something I'd ever want to do on a treadmill, and I hate the elliptical. I'll have to figure something out.

Ezee E
08-17-2011, 01:55 PM
I do this at 5:30 a.m. Nobody's watching. :)

Remains to be seen if I will stick with this as it gets colder. I'm very stiff in the morning and it's hard to get loose, which will be compounded in winter. And then I'm worried that I'll have too many layers on and will be too hot. HIIT is not something I'd ever want to do on a treadmill, and I hate the elliptical. I'll have to figure something out.
Basketball gym?

Benny Profane
08-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Basketball gym?

N/A within walking distance.

Derek
08-17-2011, 03:11 PM
N/A within walking distance.

Join a flash mob?

Benny Profane
08-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Join a flash mob?

LOL.

Thirdmango
09-22-2011, 01:10 AM
I've decided to keep more of a log on my google plus of my workouts. I think with a bit of public scrutiny people can tell me things I need to do and/or if I stop working out I have to admit it to others. :)

Benny Profane
09-22-2011, 02:10 PM
So at my gym they write these cheesy motivational slogans on the chalkboard by the water fountain, but I kinda liked the one from this morning:

"Don't expect macro results from micro changes."

Thirdmango
09-24-2011, 09:45 AM
I had a really epic week and I weighed myself today. It's been six years since I weighed this low. I'm super elated right now.

Lucky
10-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I ran my first half marathon this morning. Little disappointed with my time, but I had unforeseen nausea and a right leg cramp which I had never experienced before on my long runs. Wasn't my best running day, but I walk away with zero chafing (finally figured out those tricks) and all ten toenails intact.

ledfloyd
10-11-2011, 07:48 PM
i've finally started commiting to getting in shape. i've been doing 45 minutes of brisk walking daily for about three weeks now. just in the last couple days i'm getting to the point where i'm looking forward to it, which is nice. i'm hoping to get to the point where i can run a few miles a day, and hopefully the pounds start coming off as well. i'm already starting to notice myself feeling better, which is nice.
so, i'm about 10.5 weeks in and 18lbs lighter than i was when i started. i've been trying to incorporate some jogging (i'm aiming for every other day, so far it's been thursday, sunday and today). my legs are fucking killing me. i haven't done anything too extreme. running a mile a day at a 12 minute pace. are there any tricks to getting around that or do i just have to push through it?

Scar
10-11-2011, 07:55 PM
so, i'm about 10.5 weeks in and 18lbs lighter than i was when i started. i've been trying to incorporate some jogging (i'm aiming for every other day, so far it's been thursday, sunday and today). my legs are fucking killing me. i haven't done anything too extreme. running a mile a day at a 12 minute pace. are there any tricks to getting around that or do i just have to push through it?

Do not over train. Its hard to describe good pain vs bad pain, but sometimes your body does need a day or two off, and it needs to refuel.

Benny Profane
10-11-2011, 08:51 PM

What part of your legs?

bac0n
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM

If you're new to jogging altogether, I would try the Couch to 5K plan, mentioned earlier in this thread. Going form zero to 1 mile is pushing it, tho. I would try jogging a half mile, brisk walk for a 1/4 mile, then jogging another half mile, then up it to 3/4 mile job 1/4 mile walk 3/4 mile jog when you're feeling comfy, then trying the full mile, then maybe tack on another 1/4 to 1/2 mile every week until you're up to 3 miles. You go in too fast you run into problems like shin splints which are absolutely no fun.

At the very least, soaking your legs in a bath ought to help.

Ezee E
10-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Stretching properly?

Possibly swim, run on softer ground as well.

ledfloyd
10-11-2011, 10:40 PM
thighs mostly. i haven't been stretching because i read some stuff and it seemed inconclusive as to whether stretching prevents or causes injuries. i don't feel like i'm pulling anything just soreness mostly in the thighs while i'm running.

i had been walking 2.5-3 miles a day. about 45 minutes. this last week i have been walking for about 5 minutes, jogging a mile, then walking until i hit around 2.5 miles or so. about 40 minutes. and taking a day off the day after.

i might back off and do this couch to 5k plan. but these first two weeks seem like less exercise i've been getting than doing 45 minutes of daily walking.

Ezee E
10-11-2011, 10:43 PM
I say bullshit to stretching causing injuries. I have no facts for this, except for my own history. If I stretch, I run longer, faster, and with better performance.

Lucky
10-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I say bullshit to stretching causing injuries. I have no facts for this, except for my own history. If I stretch, I run longer, faster, and with better performance.

I personally don't notice a difference between stetching beforehand. I definitely notice the next day if I do not stretch after a workout, though.

I would recommend just taking a week off running. When you're training too hard, your body will let you know. In a week's time you should feel fine and just continue at the rate you left off.

ledfloyd
10-12-2011, 12:09 AM
well perhaps i'll start working some stretching in and ease into the running a bit more gradually.

bac0n
10-12-2011, 01:21 AM
well perhaps i'll start working some stretching in and ease into the running a bit more gradually.

I would also recommend you stretch after your run.

Ezee E
10-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I would also recommend you stretch after your run.
This as well.

Benny Profane
10-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Stretching is a must. Seriously.

Also make sure your heel is landing before the rest of your foot. You don't want to land flat.

Kurosawa Fan
10-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I didn't want to say anything until I was sure I could keep it up, but I've now lost 20 lbs. since August 1st with a combination of P90X and eating healthy. The P90X has been spotty since my semester started up again, but my eating habits haven't changed, and I'm still losing about 2 lbs. per week. I haven't felt this good in a long time. When I'm off of school, I'm going to continue to use P90X every day to tone, because just losing the weight isn't satisfying enough after seeing the results I was getting from a regular weight program.

Robby P
10-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Actually one of the leading causes of muscle soreness during recovery phase is inadequate levels of hydration. Drinking more water might be more helpful than stretching. I try to shoot for a gallon a day, usually.

EDIT: On days I work out, that is. Drink more on days you're active.

ledfloyd
10-13-2011, 12:26 AM
i drink a ton of water, so i'm pretty sure that isn't the issue.

and congrats kfan. i've lost a little less weight than that since the last week of july. through a combination of eating better and getting aerobic exercise. i was losing 2lbs/week for the first 6 weeks and since then it's been closer to 1. which is part of why i decided to try jogging.

anyway, yeah, i feel 100x better than i did before i started exercising regularly. not just physically but mentally. i'd say it's crazy but i guess exercising more = feeling better is kind of common sense.

ledfloyd
10-13-2011, 08:49 PM
i started couch to 5k today and did this (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml) stretching program before and after.

i feel like i got a really good workout in but at the same time i'm not completely zonked like i was after trying to make myself run a mile. so i think i'll stick with this for awhile and see where it takes me.

bac0n
10-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Thinking about trying The Insanity Workout (http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do?gclid=CLSco5mOiawC FUld5QodllnZKw&code=SEMB_GOOGLE_SAN&extcmp=39fsnnnnnsield3276&ef_id=ezhNWUyUB3QAAEQg:2011102 7145002:s) starting next week. Anyone ever try it?

Ezee E
10-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Thinking about trying The Insanity Workout (http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do?gclid=CLSco5mOiawC FUld5QodllnZKw&code=SEMB_GOOGLE_SAN&extcmp=39fsnnnnnsield3276&ef_id=ezhNWUyUB3QAAEQg:2011102 7145002:s) starting next week. Anyone ever try it?
Love it. Just hard to fit in six workouts a week. But certainly worth doing.

D_Davis
10-27-2011, 04:33 PM
New studies are showing that you should be hitting toe-first when running, as it is more in line with how our bodies evolved. That's why those toe-shoes are so good for you, and why it is better to run barefoot if you can.

http://www.livescience.com/8053-running-shoes-changed-humans-run.html

I noticed a big difference in not having my heel strike first, which was causing me a ton of join pain in my feet and knees.

I'm sure it's different for every body though.

D_Davis
10-27-2011, 04:39 PM
It's funny to listen to everyone here so jazzed about losing weight, when I've been trying to gain weight! And it is finally happening. I quit smoking (again, hopefully for the last time!), started eating more (and healthier), and exercising more (walking and bike riding). Although, I've also been drinking a lot more beer....heh.

Anyhow, it's just nice to be able live a healthier life and see the results. So congrats to everyone here who is doing so!

Dukefrukem
10-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Wow that looks fun as hell. (insanity workout)

Dukefrukem
10-27-2011, 04:43 PM
New studies are showing that you should be hitting toe-first when running, as it is more in line with how our bodies evolved. That's why those toe-shoes are so good for you, and why it is better to run barefoot if you can.

http://www.livescience.com/8053-running-shoes-changed-humans-run.html

I noticed a big difference in not having my heel strike first, which was causing me a ton of join pain in my feet and knees.

I'm sure it's different for every body though.

Yeh it definitely depends on the person. I read a report in the NYT that said running barefoot is bad for you. With no extra support, your joints at the ankle and knees are prone to injury. Its ironic to hear you say you have less pain at the knees. Those toe shoes are a fad. An ugly fad.

bac0n
10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeh it definitely depends on the person. I read a report in the NYT that said running barefoot is bad for you. With no extra support, your joints at the ankle and knees are prone to injury. Its ironic to hear you say you have less pain at the knees. Those toe shoes are a fad. An ugly fad.

I disagree - there are studies that show that your legs are designed to be spring loaded so that when you land on your toe, your muscles recoil and bounces you forward. Supposed to be a far more efficient way of running.

The danger comes in buying the barefoot shoes and then just running your normal route from the start. Your body needs to adjust to it, so you need to ease into it so that your body can adjust. Barefoot running books and advocates are very explicit about this.

I've actually been thinking about buying a pair one of these days - probably when my current pair of jogging shoes are through.

D_Davis
10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
My friend runs marathons in them, and his girlfriend runs a marathon every weekend in them.

Yes - you read that right. She runs a marathon every weekend.

D_Davis
10-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Here we focus on the difference between heel striking and forefoot striking (see bottom of page for more on midfoot striking which is often intermediate). In heel striking, the collision of the heel with the ground generates a significant impact transient, a nearly instantaneous, large force. This force sends a shock wave up through the body via the skeletal system. In forefoot striking, the collision of the forefoot with the ground generates a very minimal impact force with no impact transient.

Therefore, quite simply, a runner can avoid experiencing the large impact force by forefoot striking properly.

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvar d.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

Dukefrukem
10-27-2011, 04:53 PM
And I run marathons in regular running shoes. We haven't proven anything here other than it's an ugly fad.

D_Davis
10-27-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't have a horse in the race either way, I just find the studies and data interesting and helpful, especially since I was experiencing so much pain when I was running last year.

Dukefrukem
10-27-2011, 04:58 PM
I think I'm a Midfoot runner.

edit: wonder how I can check this...

D_Davis
10-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I think I'm a Midfoot runner.

edit: wonder how I can check this...

If you have a Neovita store near you, you can go and have all kinds of tests done using biometrics and treadmills to find out how you run.

Dukefrukem
10-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Never even heard of a Neovita store. Googling now.

edit: Marathon Sports picked out my latest shoes for me. They did a whole running assessment but didn't mention how I step down. Got my new pair of Brooks. They are so much better than any running shoe I've ever wore.

D_Davis
10-27-2011, 05:13 PM
My bad - it's not Neovita. The store I was thinking of is a local running/shoe store.

Robby P
10-27-2011, 05:26 PM
It's funny to listen to everyone here so jazzed about losing weight, when I've been trying to gain weight!

I've gained ~20-30 lbs in the last calendar year since taking up free weights and eating like a pig. I look and feel much healthier.

Benny Profane
10-27-2011, 05:30 PM
If you land on your toes, your heels won't touch the ground. You better have some damn strong calves to pull that off if you are running long distances. Also, you will sacrifice a lot in speed.

D_Davis
10-27-2011, 05:36 PM
I've gained ~20-30 lbs in the last calendar year since taking up free weights and eating like a pig. I look and feel much healthier.

I'd like to start some weight training. Are you doing any specific program?

Ezee E
10-27-2011, 05:41 PM
If you land on your toes, your heels won't touch the ground. You better have some damn strong calves to pull that off if you are running long distances. Also, you will sacrifice a lot in speed.
This. Unless you're sprinting, the whole foot will be hitting the ground at some point.

But yeah, duke, lots of running-specific stores should have the technology to have you go on a treadmill, record how your feet are hitting the ground, and find an appropriate shoe...

Insanity is a beast. Great cardio. However, after a few consistent weeks, you'll be wanting to do MORE. Which is good.

Robby P
10-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd like to start some weight training. Are you doing any specific program?

I'd recommend looking into Starting Strength (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki), it's a great introductory program.

Also, since I know you're a redditor, check out r/fitness (http://www.reddit.com/r/fitness). Lots of helpful advice.

ledfloyd
10-31-2011, 01:09 PM
just started week 4 of couch to 5k. the jump from 9 minutes of running to 16 minutes of running looked pretty intimidating on paper, and i'm not going to say the last 2 or 3 minutes weren't difficult, but it was significantly less difficult than when i ran a mile a month ago and i ran 1.33 miles. so, progress? and i've dropped another 5lbs in the last 3 weeks. i feel like in a few more months i'm not even going to recognize myself.

bac0n
10-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Day One of the Insanity Workout, I can see how it gets its name.

Man alive, I was getting light headed.

Ezee E
10-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Day One of the Insanity Workout, I can see how it gets its name.

Man alive, I was getting light headed.
Assuming you did the FIT Test?

If so, plan on taking tomorrow night off. When I started it, I felt like I was in decent shape (just started playing indoor as well), and I basically crawled into my shower afterwards, lol.

bac0n
10-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Assuming you did the FIT Test?

If so, plan on taking tomorrow night off. When I started it, I felt like I was in decent shape (just started playing indoor as well), and I basically crawled into my shower afterwards, lol.

i might have to. i'm pretty much beat. and yeah, I did the fit test. I'm curious to see how it goes in two weeks. I have LOTS of room for improvement.

Ezee E
10-31-2011, 06:34 PM
i might have to. i'm pretty much beat. and yeah, I did the fit test. I'm curious to see how it goes in two weeks. I have LOTS of room for improvement.
For myself, I didn't really notice an increase in numbers too much, but the ease of getting through the workouts, and general fitness afterwards was far improved.

I still do it now. I wish I saved the numbers to see how I compared to when I did first start and kept track.

Li Lili
10-31-2011, 06:52 PM
I did over 3 years of French boxing (or Savate it's like kickboxing, kick and punches by only using hand and feet), I stopped 3 years ago because lack of time and other reasons. Didn't do for losing weight because I don't need to but some of them came for this reason, and they did lose quite fast.
I loved this sport, the rules make it very technical and and it's a very complete sport. Especially, you learn very fast.

you can watch some videos on youtube to give an idea :
for an example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8fhe7m_5C8)

bac0n
10-31-2011, 07:34 PM
For myself, I didn't really notice an increase in numbers too much, but the ease of getting through the workouts, and general fitness afterwards was far improved.

I still do it now. I wish I saved the numbers to see how I compared to when I did first start and kept track.

Just before I started out, I took a picture of my pasty white belly. Just about broke my new iPhone. At the end of the 60 days I'm gonna take another picture and compare the two. Right now all I wanna do is consume protein.

Benny Profane
11-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Reading a book called Born to Run about this native tribe in Mexico who are known to run hundreds of miles non-stop wearing nothing but skirts and sandals and drinking nothing but corn beer. For the fucking fun of it. And of course it's about this lunatic ultra-running culture as a whole, and why so many people in the US are constantly injured while these guys eat mice, drink alcohol, don't stretch, don't wear sneakers, and can beat highly-trained American runners in 100 mile races by over an hour. I'm only 75 pages into it but loving it so far.

If this book doesn't inspire you to get off your ass and exercise then nothing will.

ledfloyd
11-22-2011, 08:57 PM
a few friends have raved about that book to me.

after forgetting to pack my running shoes when going on vacation (possibly a freudian thing) and then only exercising once in the 5 days since i got back i tried to do the 20 minute run i'm at in couch to 5k and failed. i'm thinking about restarting week 5 to get myself back into the swing of things. ugh. haha.

ledfloyd
12-09-2011, 08:09 PM
i was waiting at the pharmacy and was flipping through outside magazine, which had an article on workout myths. and number 1 was that you should stretch before working out. they said in several studies groups that do static stretching before engaging in athletics consistently have worse performance than those who don't. there was a scientific reason for this, something about your nervous system, but i forget it.

Ezee E
12-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Silly talk.

Kurosawa Fan
12-10-2011, 03:23 AM
I didn't want to say anything until I was sure I could keep it up, but I've now lost 20 lbs. since August 1st with a combination of P90X and eating healthy. The P90X has been spotty since my semester started up again, but my eating habits haven't changed, and I'm still losing about 2 lbs. per week. I haven't felt this good in a long time. When I'm off of school, I'm going to continue to use P90X every day to tone, because just losing the weight isn't satisfying enough after seeing the results I was getting from a regular weight program.

Make it 30 lbs. and counting. I'm actually no longer embarrassed by how I look. Not satisfied yet, but not embarrassed.

ledfloyd
12-10-2011, 03:28 AM
i hit 25 or 26 and am now back to 22 primarily because of laziness. i need to get back on top of things.

Ezee E
12-10-2011, 03:28 AM
I started the P90X myself with an iPhone app. Nice program. I like it more than Insanity simply for the lifting weights portions. It's not a cardio-only program.

Dukefrukem
12-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I started boxing again last night. Been a little over a year since I stopped. I needed a new regiment since my doctor told me I'm not allowed to run for 4 months. Workout last night kicked my ass. I hope to continue this as a 3 night a week schedule.

Thirdmango
12-25-2011, 01:44 PM
I weighed myself recently and largely in part due to Finals and being unable to find the time to get my workouts in I found I had gained back a lot of weight so I was very downtrodden, that is until yesterday when I went clothes shopping because I had a coupon and I found that I had officially lost a whole pants size. :pritch: I knew my pants were falling a lot easier lately but I didn't realize I had lost a good 3-4 inches.

transmogrifier
01-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Been going to the gym for about 4 months now after a three year break in which I gained almost 10kg.

Upon restarting, I did the typical novice error of thinking that just because you went to the gym, you can eat any old crap you want. So three months into it, I had lost only about 2kgs, though the replacement of fat with muscle would have been a factor (I aim to do about 40min of cardio and about an hour on weights each session, with one rest day in every five or six where I try to play squash but nothing else). It was frustrating.

But then I decided to try something. Since January 1st, I decided to cut out all crap in my diet - no fast food, no chocolate, crisps, cookies etc - reduce the amount of carbohydrates I eat (less bread, rice and pasta), and just eat sensibly. Since then, three weeks have passed and I have dropped 3.7kg, and I still have tonnes of energy to do other things.

My routine (I'm on holidays, so I have the freedom to go to the gym whenever I want, which helps) is wake up, have one piece of toast with honey, go to the gym for a couple of hours, come back and have a big bowl of wholegrain cereal with fruit (lots of carbs, but provides long-lasting energy), have a very light lunch (usually crackers with cheese/tomato, yoghurt, fruit but sometimes a Korean lunch with lots of vegetable sidedishes), snack when I feel hungry during the afternoon on almonds, peanut butter on crackers etc, and then have a reasonable dinner with lots of vegetables and good protein. (Though, it must be noted, I did have a couple of days where I snacked on chocolate and banana cake, and it was GREAT - I just didn't eat a shit load). And I can still have the odd beer or wine with dinner as well.

The good thing about this is that when I go out to a party or whatever, I just eat and drink what I want and count that as a reward day, and just go back to the old routine the next day. There is no need to stress out about food every single second. Sure, your weight will go up a little the next day, but it's the trend that counts. Still, I'm amazed at how much we underrate how many calories we eat in a day.

Another thing that has amazed me is that once you get over the hump, going to the gym becomes enjoyable, and it doesn't feel right not to go. For the first couple of months, it was a chore to get myself motivated, especially because the weight wasn't exactly melting off me, but there comes a tipping point where one day you don't go to the gym and you feel unaccountably restless. Once you reach this point, it has become a habit.

I write this here as a reminder to myself, more than anything, not to slip back into bad habits, and just keep it going.

Thirdmango
02-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Today was insane, I ate really good and then when I went to the gym the Kings OKC game was just starting, so I ran on the elliptical for 70 minutes and did 5.4 miles. During half time I did some weightlifting but I wanted to go back and watch the game more so then in the second half I ran for 4.6 miles for another 70 minutes until the game was over. 10 miles in 2 hours 20 minutes. Pretty awesome for me. Then I swam a little, and did some sauna and hottub. I AM SO SORE RIGHT NOW.

Benny Profane
02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Another thing that has amazed me is that once you get over the hump, going to the gym becomes enjoyable, and it doesn't feel right not to go. For the first couple of months, it was a chore to get myself motivated, especially because the weight wasn't exactly melting off me, but there comes a tipping point where one day you don't go to the gym and you feel unaccountably restless. Once you reach this point, it has become a habit.

Well said. After awhile, it becomes automatic. Though if you travel or are sick for a long stretch, it's hard to get back in the groove.

Regarding motivation, I've never gone to the gym and then felt bad about it afterwards. I'm always happier that I went, no matter how much I was dreading it. It's something I try to keep in mind when I'm being lazy.

Robby P
02-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I'm just now getting over a rather nasty stomach virus and it's going to be quite some time before I get back into old habits. Never underestimate how easy it can be to fall off track through no real fault of your own.

Lucky
02-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Started Insanity today and did the fit test. Holy shit, I had to sit down to shower because I was so nauseous. And I thought I was in decent shape...can't wait to see how painful the first actual workout is.

bac0n
02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Started Insanity today and did the fit test. Holy shit, I had to sit down to shower because I was so nauseous. And I thought I was in decent shape...can't wait to see how painful the first actual workout is.

For me, it's not the workouts that were painful, but it was how sore my muscles were those first few days as my body was adjusting to the new physical regimen. My advice to you is to have some alleve on hand and be sure to take a hot bath tonight to relax your muscles.

And good luck tomorrow on the ski-abs and in-and-outs.